PDA

View Full Version : My new Mazda RX-8

Vortex
01-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Well the time finally came to retire the old 92 geo metro and buy a new car...so I went big and bought the new RX-8 a week before christmas.

And now with a car payment, something I haven't had in 7 years, and full insurance I have to cut back on star wars buying, but that's ok, there wasn't/isn't alot out there anyway. I still have enough funny money to get some of the cooler pieces and 2 of each fig, but I do have to think hard about shelling out a few extra bucks to pick off the all white clone 3-packs when I found and have all the other colors...or really think about getting the big buck items.

But for those of you looking for a new car, just wanting to test drive a car or two, don't pass over the RX-8...its a fun ride, has plenty of HP, and sports car truely are babe magnets.

bobafrett
01-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Do wse have a picture of your new ride yet? How about a mini review on it's handling, steering, braking? I still have about three years of payments left on my car, but at least I owe under $10,000 now.

Vortex
01-07-2004, 03:56 PM
The files are too large and I don't have a program to crop them down.

It has a spoiler, sun roof, butt heat, side mirror defrost, Bose speakers and sound system. I passed on the Nav. system and some other bogus items.

She's got the rotary engine in it and its fickle in the MN winters. I have to let the sucker warm up for 10 minuets or the engine will foul the plugs and she's dog. 250 HP, 18" wheels and over sized breaks. Its power everything and I sort of miss the old rack and pinion. Its taking me a little while to get use to the feel and power since the old metro was not a high preformance machine. The other down fall is its a gas hog. It averages 18 miles in the city and 24 on the highway, but I have yet to get that. I'm getting about 13-14 or less depending on how long I let it warm up. 92 octane or better and I'm dropping about 20 a week on gas. Due to the rotary engine she's got enough torque and power to take a corner in 3rd gear and I can be in 6th gear doing 32 mph and the tac is only at 2. Sports car suspension and she floats down the road like a dream. She red lines out at 9 and the engine is very quiet and smooth. It has a high pitched whine when she taking off and accelerating but that's just the rotors spinning.

If you go to

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/handleHomeFlash.action?vehicleCode=RX8&modelYear=2004

you can see all the shots since my photos are too large 500. I have the Winning Blue one...

If I can crop and tone down the photos I'll try and attach them.

Vortex
05-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Here's the view from the front...

Vortex
05-27-2004, 12:59 PM
now for the side...whoops, didn't want to take...

Vortex
05-27-2004, 01:04 PM
side and back, let see if this works...

Vortex
05-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Here we go, side shot....

Vortex
05-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Last ones, I swear. I just figured out how to run photoshop...

scruffziller
05-28-2004, 10:51 AM
That car is friggin' off the HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Vortex
05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Thank man, if I'm rolling through Iowa this year, I'll make a side trip and take you to a TRU.

stillakid
05-28-2004, 04:34 PM
My Avalanche can crush your car. Na na. :silly:

Vortex
05-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Well 1st your gas pig would have to catch my gas pig...

I only get 15-18 in city and 20-23 on the highway...

stillakid
05-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Well 1st your gas pig would have to catch my gas pig...

I only get 15-18 in city and 20-23 on the highway...
Good point. But I get about 14 in the city and 19 on the hwy. At least we'll run out of gas at the same time, you'll just be ahead of me somewhere.

JediTricks
05-29-2004, 01:03 AM
yeah, and if it gets too hot in the cabin while waiting for the tow truck driver to come rescue you, Stilla's "truck" has a removable back window. :D

stillakid
05-29-2004, 09:52 AM
yeah, and if it gets too hot in the cabin while waiting for the tow truck driver to come rescue you, Stilla's "truck" has a removable back window. :D

I still haven't taken advantage of that option. And why is "truck" in parenthesis?

Vortex
05-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Yea gas prices make me shudder...

As for the "truck" in quotes...I think he means, is it a truck or more than meets the eye. Those big ol' behemoths still look like a transformer...

scruffziller
05-29-2004, 01:00 PM
I still haven't taken advantage of that option. And why is "truck" in parenthesis?Parenthesis? Don't you mean "quotes".:D
Oh yea I know, TJ already somewhat pointed it out.

JediTricks
05-29-2004, 03:11 PM
It's in quotes because the Chevy Avalanche isn't a real truck, it's an SUV body with a Ford F-150 Sportrac-style bed plus a new fold-down back seat. I wonder how many people actually use the transforming feature (beyond novelty purposes, of course).

stillakid
05-29-2004, 06:25 PM
It's in quotes because the Chevy Avalanche isn't a real truck, it's an SUV body with a Ford F-150 Sportrac-style bed plus a new fold-down back seat. I wonder how many people actually use the transforming feature (beyond novelty purposes, of course).

Actually it's built on the Silverado frame and just also happens to have an extra large passenger area. It's a "real" truck. :rolleyes:

And yes, I do use the "transforming" feature. For what I do for a living, this truck was built almost exactly the way I need it. With two kids, I use the passenger compartment in the morning when I take them to school. Then I head to work to pick up camera equipment which frequently takes up all the storage the truck offers. The truck also provides better security for the cargo than any other pickup can. Believe me, the day I can buy my Ferrari Modena is the day I'll turn the truck in, but for now it's a necessary tax write-off. :D

Tonysmo
05-30-2004, 01:17 AM
so um.. back to the RX-8.. 1st off.. WOOT! nice f'n car dude.

so.. this rotary thing.. does it suck? I mean, I know the car is fast, but do you think the maintenance on that engine will be costly? I would think not too many machanics at the local auto place are uber enough to handle that, meaning strickly dealer maintenance..
The reason I ask, is my better half has spent the better part of this year trying to talk me into getting her one.
Does it suck in the snow? slide all over the place? curious.

Great pictures, niiiice car. Ill have to send her the link.. mmm.. maybe not.

2-1B
05-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Chevy doesn't make trucks, they make grocery-getters.

JediTricks
05-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Stilla, the Avalanche is based directly on the Suburban, a vehicle classified as an SUV.

On the RX-8 front, Hobby Link Japan has a photo of the upcoming RX-8 Transformer:Alternators figure (ok, the BinalTech version), looks pretty good even if I've never seen a real RX-8 in white and Jazz (aka Meister) should have racing stripes. http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAK12482

Vortex
06-01-2004, 04:26 PM
JT rumor on the Rx-8 front is that Mazda is dumping the "pikachu" yellow for '05 and replacing it with a white...so you actually might see a few white RX-8's around this summer. I'll have to dig around, but some guy in CA put a pikachu sticker or had pikachu painted on the hood for his wife. He took a LOT of flack on the forum boards for that...

Tonysmo: But as for pros and cons for the car.

Winter driving is ok as long as you buy a new set of snow tires. Stock tires are high preformance slicks and they have zero grip even on a light dusting of snow. Combine that with rear wheel drive and you can have fun in the snow, but I would definitly say get snow tires or store it in winter. So look at dropping at least another 2,000 on new snow tires alone, that's without new rims or pressure sensors.

Gas is another beast. But I'm sure you already read the poor miles to gallon ratio. 15 in the city, and 20 on the highway. Its running me about 22-26 dollars a fill up every week.

The rotary engine is very small and most things are easy to get at if you want to do you own work, and the engine is a modification of the old RX-7's and there's enough RX-7's running around that there's enough speciality guys out there besides the dealerships. The puppy red lines at 9000 and you can't blow that engine, it just shuts off if you push it past that point. The other downfall is that its a little bit of a oil pig too. It burns off about a quart of oil every 1000 miles to keep the rotors lubed up so you need to add a quart about every 1000 miles. Its not that big of deal, but can be a pain. It takes 5W-20 which can be a bear to find at local napa or car parts stores. Because its a rotary, it has little torque off the starting line, but once you get the rotors spinning look out it take off like a jet. The HP had to be downgraded to 238 from 250 due to CA and some US emission laws, but you can gain that back by putting a new cat back exhaust on it.

The commercials and sales folks say it can hold 4 adults...b.s. I'm 6'-2" and my seat is 3/4 of the way back and there no way, anyone could sit behind me. I've only sat in the back to test it out, its livable but confined. Kids could fit back there easy, but adults...no way.

By far the best cornering car around. Handles like a dream in the corners because the gas tank and powertrain are centrally located to keep the center of gravity as close to the middle of the car as possible. Plus without the big clunky piston engine the car is light weight and just hugs the corners. What you lack in speed you make up for in handling.

The only car I know of that I can be in 6th gear with the tac at 1800 and doing 32 mph. You just touch the gas and it goes, no dogging the engine what so ever.

The interior is cockpit style and the seats are extremely comfortable, especially if you get the heated leater seats. The two tone interiors are pretty cool, but on the blue version the interior color choices were only black on black. The thing is loaded with airbags too. I think there's 6 or 8 up front.

Price tag is great vs. the nissan Z or other sports cars. The Audi TT is running 30-35 for stripped down models, the Z is 33, and the honda 2000 is roughly 30,000. A bottom of the line 8 will run 25,000 and if you get the GT package (headed seats, side mirror defrost, moon roof, spoiler ) minus the nav computer you've got a 29,000 car, still reasonably priced great "family" sports car.

Just for the hell of it, go take a test drive, you'll get a lot of looks and have fun in the process...car has a lot to offer

JediTricks
06-01-2004, 06:00 PM
VW had similar perception issues with their New Beetles in Pikachu Yellow and Lemon Yogurt Yellow (tho' in some cases, that worked to their advantage since it fit with the market interests they were trying to tap). Personally, I think Mazda needs to stay away from white, my mom's fiance has a newer MX-6 in white and it just looks like a flat, uninteresting color; Mazda should stick with blue, black, silver, dark silver, red, and dark red for their sports cars, maybe a British Racing green as well but that's it. Maybe white with graphics, even if the industry seems to be moving away from grahpics, but white by itself on Mazdas just seems dull to me - some cars can pull it off, some can't.

RX-7s had terrible backs seats when they had one at all, '80s models had no back seat at all, just a hump that lead to the hatchback area, so I guess they're keeping the tradition alive. ;)

stillakid
06-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Stilla, the Avalanche is based directly on the Suburban, a vehicle classified as an SUV.

Star Wars is based on The Seven Samurai. So what? I just went into the garage to check for sure, and my Avalanche still isn't an SUV. It has an open back just like a pickup and it isn't small like an El Camino. Also my insurance didn't spike with SUV rates and I didn't get the 4000lb (or is it 6000 ?) tax rebate I would have gotten had I bought an SUV. So I'm pretty sure that my Avalanche is a pickup truck that is built on the Silverado frame, not an SUV. But I'll go back to the garage to check again if necessary. ;)

JediTricks
06-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Unless you had it specially built or the Silverado somehow is built on this frame as well, your Avalanche is on a Suburban frame just like the rest of 'em, and was designed from the Suburban (originally as just a Suburban variant IIRC).

Vortex
06-01-2004, 06:12 PM
RX-7s had terrible backs seats when they had one at all, '80s models had no back seat at all, just a hump that lead to the hatchback area, so I guess they're keeping the tradition alive. ;)

Well at least Mazda tried to improve on the back seat. There are two, what you could call bucket seats back there...divided by consol cup holder...why a car needs 4 cup holders is beyond me...then again I don't have kids or haul people around...

Just to add a log to the fire...I think its the Hummer 2 that's built on a suburban frame...

stillakid
06-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Unless you had it specially built or the Silverado somehow is built on this frame as well, your Avalanche is on a Suburban frame just like the rest of 'em, and was designed from the Suburban (originally as just a Suburban variant IIRC).

It didn't take too long to find out where you're getting your paraphrasing from: ;)

Highlights for 2004

Antiskid control is newly available for 2WD versions of this crossover pickup truck. Avalanche is basically a Chevrolet Suburban SUV with an open cargo bed. It has four full-size side doors and a "midgate" separating cab from cargo bed. Lowering the midgate and rear seat extends the 5.3-ft cargo box to 8.1 ft. The rear window also removes and stores onboard.http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/37514

But I stand corrected:

Note that the Avalanche's chassis, suspension, and body structure are derived from the famously slick Suburban sport/utility vehicle rather than the rough-and-ready Silverado pickup. (There's no gap or seam between the substantially reinforced cab and the cargo bed.) The mean-looking new sheetmetal, with its wheel-arch bulges and heavy body cladding, rides on an ultra-sturdy three-piece frame. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/pickup/112_0108_avalanche

However, the similarities end there, at the outer aesthetics. I'm not even sure why we're having this "discussion." The Avalanche has very little in common with the Suburban and far more practical similarity to a Silverado. Do you guys have something against Chevy or domestic vehicles or something? :confused: Sure seems like it or you wouldn't be trying so hard to take the "truck" out of what is so obviously a, well...a pickup truck.

(For the record, this is my very first ever domestic vehicle. If things go my way, I'll trade this in for something Italian. :D )

Tonysmo
06-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the rundown. Ill pass the info along to my better half. and yeah, as for taking a test drive... um, the last time we did that I came home with a new 95 eagle talon. still have it.. shes ready to upgrade. anyone wanna buy it? lol

Vortex
06-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Do you guys have something against Chevy or domestic vehicles or something? :confused: Sure seems like it or you wouldn't be trying so hard to take the "truck" out of what is so obviously a, well...a pickup truck.

Not me, I had a geo metro before I bought the metro on steriods and I have my old mans chevy s-10 as a back up if I ever need it...sort of like chevy, but your "truck" thing still looks like a transformer:)

darthvyn
06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
from what i understand (been doing a lot of research on this car myself...) it should be pretty good in slick conditions - the compact nature of the rotary engine lets it sit back further behind the wheels than conventional piston engines, giving it a better weight distribution. this means less wheel spin in slick conditions.

also, given the nature of the rotary engine, with basically only four or five moving parts, maintenance should be less necessary, and easier when necessary.

however, it has no low-end torque. sure, it's got 250 hp, but that's only in the REALLY high revs... you shift at about 8.5 or 9. very little power from a dead stop. mazdaspeed is already working on some sort of forced induction for next year that will help on this problem.

the whole thing is because of the nature of the rotary - for every one rotation of the "eccentric shaft" (the equivalent to the crankshaft in a conventional piston engine, which is the part of the engine that turns the downward force of the pistons into the rotating force of the crankshaft/flywheel/transmission/driveshaft/and eventually wheels...) there is only 1/3 rotation of the rotors. to bring up low-end torque, you'd have to bring rpm's up above 10,000, but that'd be dangerous. not as dangerous in a piston-driven engine, as they would ultimately break the timing chain/belt, and shoot the pistons through the hood, but it would be dangerous none-the-less.

mazdaspeed is talking about a pneumatic super- or turbo-charger to address this sports car's less than sporty performance.

the look of the machine is awesome, though, and once up in revs, the thing cooks... i just need more low-end, after driving my '95 caprice classic police package... that thing LAUNCHES!

bigbarada
06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
I've never been a big fan of sports cars, I always figured that they were "compensation cars" meaning that their owners were probably compensating for deficiencies in other areas. Present company excluded of course, I'm sure your RX-8 was truly a necessity. :D

Stillakid - a friend of mine bought an Avalanche when they first came out (he paid $38,000 in cash! :greedy: ) and those trucks are really nice.

I'm currently driving a 1984 Dodge Ram, with a 5.9 liter V-8, and it only cost me $700 (yes seven-hundred dollars). Unfortunately it's costing me about $20 a week in gas to drive it right now; but it gets me where I need to go.

Vortex
06-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Big B funny you should mention that...I usually put that phrase on the guys with the big supped up trucks with the loud tail pipes, or guys who drive Avalanches:) Kidding, kidding, kidding. I can't joke since I used to own a metro...wonder what THAT says about over compensating...or is it inversely proportional with a small car...trying not to over advertise:)

Dartvyn you're right about the car's center point. Nice with rain, bad with ice...you really need to weight the back end down with sand bags.

Mazdaspeed is working on a few options but at this point the turbo is MAYBE STILL just a rumor. Its been floating around all the RX-8 fourms for a while now and everyone's wishing for one...but nothing has been confirmed or seen...just like people holding out for a rag top. There's been a few gear heads who've tried to turbo charged their engines but haven't totally balanced out the rotors yet and can't get a good preformance out of it. They say it just hits a wall for perfomance and speed. There's a lot of gear heads and car guys who are split on if the new 8 can be supercharged or turboed due to its current design and 2 rotor system. I keep wishing for one, but I'm ok to wait a few years or many unit its refined. Gotta get the sucker paid off 1st and wait till the warrenty is up...so here's to hoping its true.

I know the 05 Mazdaspeed will have a stock engine, lighter flywheel, redesigned exhaust, but that's about all they are doing for the guts on the 05. The other stuff is just exterior body work. Autoweek from May says that Mazdaspeed will only make 300 of the new cars for 33,000 w/o the wheels, but they aren't going to sup anything up for us state side for a while. I don't think we'll see a turbo or supercharger for a couple of years. But I hear ya about the slow take off. A kid on a trike could beat you off the line:(

I'm hoping they come out with a 3 rotor like the old 7's some of those supercharged 7 have 900+hp with the help of the other mods.

But you've obiviously done your homework.

JediTricks
06-02-2004, 09:59 PM
It didn't take too long to find out where you're getting your paraphrasing from:Perhaps you should have taken a little longer in your research, I've never seen that quote before in my life. I'll help speed things along though, I first learned about it in a write-up in Popular Science when the Avalanche was first announced.

However, the similarities end there, at the outer aesthetics. Uh, you mean "outer aesthetics" like the suspension and the chassis (aka "the frame")?

The Avalanche has very little in common with the Suburban Except the chassis, suspension, general body design, (half the vehicle right there) and I believe the motor and drivetrain options as well.

Do you guys have something against Chevy or domestic vehicles or something? :confused:Sure seems like it or you wouldn't be trying so hard to take the "truck" out of what is so obviously a, well...a pickup truck.You mean like the last 2 vehicles my immediate family owned, the Chevy Blazer that got run into by Rebecca Gayheart or the Chevy Blazer that had its computer die, or how about the family's 3/4-ton '69 Dodge Powerwagon pick-up, or the family's various Mercurys and Fords and Pontiacs? I think your reasoning is suspect. Maybe I was just pointing out that the Chevy Avalanche may look like a truck but it's really an SUV by birth, because that's what the case is. You can take it as a personal attack if you want, but you yourself have proven the vehicle's true lineage. The Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero have tailgates and bigger truck-style beds than even the Avalanche, does that make them trucks? No, it makes them cars with truck-like designs.

but your "truck" thing still looks like a transformer:) Perhaps that's because half the Avalanche is plastic. ;) (To be fair, after Avalanche's first roll-out, the negative market impact to the plastic-covered body panels and grill did convince Chevy to release an optional Avalanche without the plastic, but it looks like a Suburban with the rear roof cut off that way, so most marketing representations are of the original plastic-wearing design.)

I can't joke since I used to own a metro...wonder what THAT says about over compensating...or is it inversely proportional with a small car...trying not to over advertise:) I think owning a Geo Metro says "I'm poor". It may not actually be the case, but that's what it says. :D

just like people holding out for a rag top. Convertable RX-8? Are they NUTS?!? IIRC, the RX-8 uses the roof as a large portion of body strength since the suicide mini-doors take away the center pillars, a convertable would force the lower unibody (or does it have a frame) to take all that and there would be significant body roll and strength issues that could only be resolved by either leaving permanent rails at the outer edges of the roof or heavily reinforcing the undercarriage which would badly weigh down the car and hamper the sports car vibe.

Vortex
06-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Yea poor was a big factor in high school and college...I was trying not to relive those memories...thanks a bunch:)

Yea there's been rumors of a rag top, but I don't think they'll do it. It could be done but they'd have to some re-design and pretty much do away with the trunk...but that really wouldn't be that great of a loss. There's a roll or sway bar up front under the hood and one that spans the back. Sort of a pain in the butt if you need to get in there and change out a belt or something. It could be done if they re-designed the body a touch. There's also a major driveshaft housing running straight down the middle of the car for support and stability. odds are it could be done, but I wouldn't want to see it done.

I finally got my internal mods today (illuminated shifter - gears light up when the lights are on. Passenger alum. foot rest, and fender strakes) when I get them installed one of these weekend I'll see keep testing my photoshop cropping skills...

So anyone going to give one a test drive?

DarthBrandon
06-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Stop talking about this new car god darn it; it's making me jealous. :D

Sweet ride by the way

bigbarada
06-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Big B funny you should mention that...I usually put that phrase on the guys with the big supped up trucks with the loud tail pipes, or guys who drive Avalanches:) Kidding, kidding, kidding. I can't joke since I used to own a metro...wonder what THAT says about over compensating...or is it inversely proportional with a small car...trying not to over advertise:)

Well, if the compensation factor of a vehicle IS inversely proportional to it's owner, then I must really have it together!

My truck was just two steps away from a junkyard when I bought it. The muffler had literally blown-up because of unburned fuel in the exhaust from a faulty carburetor. Add to that a leaking transmission, leaking valve covers, poorly grounded electrical system, faulty starter, corroded battery cables, busted out taillights and a crunched front grill. And we haven't even talked about the mismatched body panels.

Fortunately, I gotten it fixed up enough that I can drive it everyday without something exploding, so it's really shaping up to be a pretty reliable vehicle. :)

El Chuxter
06-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey, can you attach some pics of the robot mode?

Oh, wait, never mind. Too many Transformer references in this thread already.

Vortex
06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Haven't figured out which button is the "transform" button. Might want to ask stilla for a transformed shot.

Vortex
06-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Ok, who can find the small rotary engine?

JediTricks
06-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Isn't it that thing under the 2 silver things that don't look like each other? :D (... and then I noticed the distributor wires leading to said thing, answering my question ;))

stillakid
06-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Haven't figured out which button is the "transform" button. Might want to ask stilla for a transformed shot.

How cool would a button be!? :D

Vortex
06-07-2004, 06:17 PM
If my car would transform into a robot and fly, I'd be all over that. Forget rush hour...since I'm dreaming, I wish I had machine gun headlights to pepper all the morons who cut in front of me or slow down in the fast lane...

Well I guess if my robot had a big gun like most of them do, I could do without the machine guns...

JediTricks
06-07-2004, 10:29 PM
If your car transformed into a flying robot, you'd be crushed to death in the transformation process or deprived of oxygen at the higher altitudes. ;)

bigbarada
06-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I wish I had machine gun headlights to pepper all the morons who cut in front of me or slow down in the fast lane...

I was always under the impression that the fast lane wasn't for breaking the speed limit, but for those people who can go the speed limit. The slow lane is for big trucks and cars two steps away from the junkyard who can't make it up to the speed limit. I'm always amazed at how many people get ticked off at me because I have the gall to drive the speed limit in the fast lane.

Unless, you're talking about those people who deliberately slow down below the speed limit just to tick you off, those people must die! :D

JEDIpartner
06-11-2004, 04:19 PM
:D I often think that when I'm driving.

El Chuxter
06-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Unless, you're talking about those people who deliberately slow down below the speed limit just to tick you off, those people must die! :D

I slow down when I'm going the speed limit (or even 10 miles over) and someone zooms up behind me to within one or two feet of my bumper, then flashes their lights and makes rude gestures even though there's no one in the other lane. They should've left earlier. :)

Vortex
06-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Naa I'm talking about the folks that just drive the limit or under in the fast land and won't move over to save their life even if the slow lane is empty and no one else is on the road. They see you coming up on them and have no road manner. Or the daft buggers that drive 80 then slow way down to 45 to yack on their cell phone...and have no clue there are other people behind them.

(feel blood rising)

JediTricks
06-12-2004, 03:49 AM
I was always under the impression that the fast lane wasn't for breaking the speed limit, but for those people who can go the speed limit. The slow lane is for big trucks and cars two steps away from the junkyard who can't make it up to the speed limit. I'm always amazed at how many people get ticked off at me because I have the gall to drive the speed limit in the fast lane. Is that the REAL speed limit or the Autobahn-esque 95mph speed limit everybody THINKS that lane (and lately the other 3 or 4 lanes of the freeways) is for? ;) Man, you'd think going from 55 to 65 would have calmed the speed demons down but it appears to have just the opposite effect, everybody sees the 65mph sign as a suggestion - granted, these are the same people who cram their brakes down to the floor just so they can rubberneck at the scene of the tiniest fender-bender, but to suggest to them that maybe perhaps just possibly that 65 is the maximum safe speed the law allows and you can see the stress vein on their necks and foreheads start bulging from a mile off like a radar detector for road rage. You wanna get there sooner? LEAVE EARLIER! I not only don't want to get turned into strawberry jam when your barely-DMV-qualified arse loses control at mach-3, but I don't want to deal with the stress of risking getting pulled over by the fuzz who seem to not give half a crap about the other 950 people trying to get up enough speed to activate the flux capacitors and send their Dodge Dakotas back in time but see my car desparately trying to not get creamed by these warp-drivers and decide the herd must be thinned with a big fat fine-based lesson.

And the strangest part of all these fast-lane red-liners is like 99% of 'em don't have tires rated for these massive speeds, much less cars with steering, suspension or brakes designed to respond to the road at these near-triple-digit speeds.

Vortex
06-12-2004, 12:34 PM
only in LA, huh JT.

Cars get safer, or bigger, and the risk taking goes up. Heck our old gov. Jessy the Mind took our new gov. out for a fast joy ride in his new european sports car. Even our law-abiding officals are guilty.

JediTricks
06-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Phoenix freeways were worse because they were wide open and people would just blast through at over 100.

bigbarada
06-14-2004, 03:13 PM
The drivers here in Alamogordo are probably some of the worst (in fact I think New Mexico was rated the worst state in the US for aggressive drivers). I drive the speed limit on two lane roads (which is about 30-35 mph) and I still get tailgated by people who think you're violating their civil rights by making them press their brake pedal.

Oddly enough, I think I see more middle-aged moms in mini-vans tailgating me and cussing me out more than anyone else. On most of the roads, since I drive a full-size truck, I have to use the left hand lane since people love parking on the side of the road and flinging their doors open without even checking for traffic. I could care less about damaging those idiots' cars, I just don't want to have to fork money out of my wallet to fix my headlights when I rip their doors off.

So i go the speed limit, which is 30 mph, in the left hand lane, and if the people behind me don't like it, I don't care. I can't force them to follow the law, I know, but they can't bully me into breaking the law either.

JediTricks
06-14-2004, 07:13 PM
That's one of the nice things about living in LA, it's such a melting pot that people from all walks of life try to run you off the road for not doing 90 in a school zone. ;)

bigbarada
06-16-2004, 10:57 AM
I have a question for you, JT, or anyone else living in California who might know. I'm pretty sure there are yearly vehicle inspections over there because of the strict emission standards, but is EVERY vehicle required to have a catelytic converter? My truck is exempt here in NM, because of it's age (it's a 1984 model Dodge D150) and engine size (5.9liter V-8); but I'm wondering if it would be exempt from the regulations in CA also?

I'm asking mainly because my catelytic converter is destroyed and I was thinking about just removing it altogether and installing a straight pipe. However, since CA is one of the primary states I might be looking for a job in, I'm thinking it would be best to just pay the extra $130 or so and get the converter replaced.

stillakid
06-16-2004, 12:34 PM
I have a question for you, JT, or anyone else living in California who might know. I'm pretty sure there are yearly vehicle inspections over there because of the strict emission standards, but is EVERY vehicle required to have a catelytic converter? My truck is exempt here in NM, because of it's age (it's a 1984 model Dodge D150) and engine size (5.9liter V-8); but I'm wondering if it would be exempt from the regulations in CA also?

I'm asking mainly because my catelytic converter is destroyed and I was thinking about just removing it altogether and installing a straight pipe. However, since CA is one of the primary states I might be looking for a job in, I'm thinking it would be best to just pay the extra $130 or so and get the converter replaced.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:6lfCtnL9yPAJ:www.arb.ca.gov/regact/afteroff/cat1.pdf+california+vehicle+code+catalytic+convert er&hl=en

Unless it's a brand new vehicle, you have to have a smog inspection every year (about $40 bucks or so) and mail in the approval with your renewal fee. And watch your insurance go up as well. Oh, and gas has been hovering around $2.40 per gallon for a while too.

bigbarada
06-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Cool thanks! :cool:

It's looking like the safest choice would be to just replace the converter with a new one.