PDA

View Full Version : Classic Universal Monsters on DVD, again.

James Boba Fettfield
01-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Read this at Fangoria today:

Davis DVD reports that Universal Home Video, which discontinued its Classic Monster DVDs some time ago, is bringing these seminal fright features back to disc this year. First up is FRANKENSTEIN: THE LEGACY COLLECTION, a two-DVD set arriving April 27 and containing James Whale’s original film, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN and HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. All the films will be presented in remastered fullscreen transfers with Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio, though the impressive supplemental features from some of the previous discs don’t appear to be included. Still, the price is right for the five-feature set: $26.98 retail

Hopefully the other Universal films follow.

Beast
01-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Yep. There's going to be a Wolfman and Dracula set as well. At least so far. Since House of Dracula (which has Frankenstein) is going in the Dracula set. And Frankenstein vs. The Wolfman is going in the Wolfman set. Shame that it appears they won't be keeping the suppliments though. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
01-08-2004, 11:52 PM
JarJar, please please please tell me this is not a joke. I've been waiting for these too long! Is it finally going to happen???

Beast
01-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Yes, you can even see the art over at the following link:

http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=34587

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
01-09-2004, 11:34 AM
The link isnt working -but that ok. I'm excited none the less! :D

Beast
01-16-2004, 03:01 AM
News is out about the Dracula and Wolfman sets also now. As well as a boxset that includes all three sets. Here's the info from Digital Bits. :)

Now here's the really great news! On April 27th, you'll get the Dracula: The Legacy Collection, a 2-disc set which will include Dracula (1931), Dracula: Original Spanish Version and Dracula's Daughter on Disc One, with Son of Dracula and House of Dracula on Disc Two.

Also streeting on that day will be the Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection, another 2-disc set including Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein on Disc One, with Ghost of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein on Disc Two.

Not done yet - you'll also see the 2-disc The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection on 4/27, which will include The Wolf Man and Werewolf of London on Disc One, and Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and She-Wolf of London on Disc Two. The SRP on each of these collections will be $26.98.

Finally, 4/27 will also see the release of The Monster Legacy Gift Set 6-disc set (SRP $79.98), which will include all three of the above Legacy collection discs, along with collectible Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man figurines in a boxed set.

We'll have full DVD cover art soon for all of these new Monster sets, but the small thumbnails above should do in the meantime. We don't know if the previously released titles are going to have the same extras as before, but we'll post any additional details regarding bonus material when it comes in. We do know that the packaging for these releases will be Digipaks with outer boxes, and that all of the films will be in their original full frame aspect ratios with audio in Dolby Digital 2.0 mono. All of this is timed to coincide with the release of Van Helsing to theaters.
http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=34585
http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=34586
http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=34587
http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/boxset.php?boxSetId=34588

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
01-17-2004, 11:28 AM
WOOHOO!

I dont know about you JarJar but this is looking to be one of the best years for DVDs!

Hopefully the others like Phantom of the Opera, Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Mummy and various sequesls are also on tap!

Beast
01-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Here's pictures of the uber boxset and the figurines. Looks pretty damn cool. If the extras are the same as the previous releases, I'm gonna get the boxset. Sweet as hell. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Huckleberry Josh
01-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Man, there's nothing better than classic monster movies.I love watching those movies.I'm excited!

Jayspawn
01-23-2004, 12:31 AM
I know, I'm totally stoked. I bought Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein on DVD tonight. I consider it to be the last Monster movie.

James Boba Fettfield
01-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Some news on the extras for these taken from the news board at Fangoria:

Davis DVD reveals that, contrary to previous reports, Universal’s upcoming LEGACY COLLECTION DVD sets of its classic monster movies will in fact contain supplementary features from the previous individual discs. The five-movie FRANKENSTEIN: THE LEGACY COLLECTION will include commentaries on FRANKENSTEIN by film historian Rudy Behlmer and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN by Scott MacQueen, the original documentary “The Frankenstein Files” by David J. Skal, another featurette on the making of the FRANKENSTEIN films and more. DRACULA: THE LEGACY COLLECTION, also containing five movies, will come with a Skal commentary and the documentary “Road to Dracula,” while the four-feature WOLF MAN: THE LEGACY COLLECTION will have commentary by Fango’s own Tom Weaver and more. The two-disc sets all come out April 27.

Beast
01-29-2004, 07:25 AM
More up to date press release list has turned up. It does include all the extras of the previous list. Except for a documentary on the Wolfman set. Unless it was just overlooked in the spec list. Here's the full details. :)

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three Monster Legacy Collections for 27th April 2004. Arriving with a retail price of $26.98 each are the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man Legacy Collections, each offering several classic horror movies spread over two-discs.

Each set features the original classic films that inspired the forthcoming epic adventure film Van Helsing and are being released in the wake of said films theatrical release. On each collection you will find an exclusive look at how these classics inspired the director of Van Helsing along with completely remastered audio tracks for each film in DD2.0 Mono with additional bonus features also present...

Dracula: The Legacy Collection includes Dracula (1931), Dracula (Original Spanish Version), Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula and House of Dracula with the following bonus features:
"The Road to Dracula" original documentary
Feature film commentary from film historian David J.Skal
Brilliant new score by famed composer Philip Glass, performed by the Kronos Quartet and more

Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection includes Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein with the following bonus features:
An original documentary on the making of the Frankenstein films
Additional commentary from film historian Rudy Behlmer
"The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster" an original documentary by David J.Skal and more

The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection includes The Wolf Man, Werewolf of London, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and She-Wolf of London with the following bonus features:
"The Wolf Man" making of documentary
Feature film commentary from film historian Tom Weaver and more

And finally for the collector Universal will be releasing The Monster Legacy DVD Gift Set which includes all three Monster Legacy Collections and exclusive hand-painted busts from the award-winning Sideshow Collectibles creative team. Retail is $79.98 and below we have a look at the artwork for these releases...
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Looks like Universal isn't the only one getting into the Classic Monster release to tie into the big budget Van Hellsing. Warner Home Video is also releasing 3 new to DVD Hammer Horror movies. As well as issuing a new 6 Movie Boxset, with 3 previously available titles. The news is from TheDigitalBits.Com. No cover art as of yet. :)

On April 27th, look for Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, and the Hammer Horror Collection (a 6-disc set with the three titles we just mentioned, along with Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula and The Mummy).
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
04-27-2004, 05:41 PM
So, did anyone get the Universal Collection today?

Jayspawn
04-28-2004, 12:48 AM
I DID! I gladly walked into Best Buy and ploped down $59.99 and bought the Legacy Collection complete with the Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman minibusts -and let me tell you it is well worth the price. I cant wait for the eventual releases of The Creature, Mummy and Phantom on DVD.

These are among my favorite films of all time. I'm a huge Classic Monster film fan! I've been impatiently awaiting these! The DVD quality is great the cases they come in are very cool as well!

James Boba Fettfield
04-28-2004, 01:07 AM
How's the packaging for that set, Jayspawn? The pics I have seen just show the busts in a box and nothing else.

Reefer Shark
04-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Man.. I looked all over for that set today, no one had 'em around here.

All I could find were the single DVD's without the busts... :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
04-28-2004, 06:14 AM
It's quite the popular item, isn't it? I've been tempted to take the web journey to amazon and order this thing. I wouldn't get it until late May, though. Tempted I am. $55 for that many films and the three busts, a great deal!

Well, time to put off ordering that set until I get lonely on Friday night and use buying DVD's as a way of filling that social void in my life. :dis:

Jayspawn
04-28-2004, 01:43 PM
They are packed very well. I got mine at Best Buy. The 3 busts are in front with the DVD sets on the sides and back. Well worth the buy. I watched a few of the documentaries yesterday -interesting as hell. Last night I started watching Dracula's Daughter, I've never seen it before. I wouldnt' recomend waiting to get these get em now while you can, while they're cheap!

Jayspawn
04-29-2004, 09:58 AM
A while back I started collecting the 12" Classic Monsters from Sideshow Toy. I only ended up with a handful of them but they are awesome figures. Has anybody else collected any of these?

So far, I've picked up...

Boris Karloff as Frankenstein
Bela Lugosi as Dracula
Lon Chaney as The Wolfman
Dwight Frye as Fritz from "Frankenstein"
Lon Chaney from "London After Midnight"

James Boba Fettfield
04-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks for letting me know about how those are packaged, Jay.

Turambar
04-30-2004, 11:24 PM
A while back I started collecting the 12" Classic Monsters from Sideshow Toy. I only ended up with a handful of them but they are awesome figures. Has anybody else collected any of these?

So far, I've picked up...

Boris Karloff as Frankenstein
Bela Lugosi as Dracula
Lon Chaney as The Wolfman
Dwight Frye as Fritz from "Frankenstein"
Lon Chaney from "London After Midnight"

About 6 months ago I caved and got the big 3 at the top of your list. They are amazing figures, and I was able to justify the purchase by saying they make great halloween decorations for years to come. I can't wait to get these dvds.

Reefer Shark
04-30-2004, 11:33 PM
I finally saw the set at Suncoast today, looks fantastic! I really like how this set is packaged. You can clearly see the busts in the sealed package. It would make a nice display peice IMO.

Unfortunately I didn't buy it since they were all crunched up, I want a nice mint one. Ended up getting 4 Kill Bill figures instead....(had to have 'em!).....

Jayspawn
05-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Alright, now I'm going through a major Universal Monster kick because of the DVDs. I just won 12" Dwight Frye as Renfield and 12" Karloff from Son of Frankenstein.