PDA

View Full Version : Works in progress

ACPin
01-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Anything in terms of customs/dioramas that you've been planning/working at this time?

I've got something huge underway and thanks for the clearance sales as I'd probably wouldn't have done this. Keep posted...

Silent Chazz
01-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Next month I'll be starting the actual construction on a Battle of Geonosis Diorama. Up until now I've just been getting the figures needed for it, but by next month I'll actually have time to begin on the dio itself.

ACPin
01-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Next month I'll be starting the actual construction on a Battle of Geonosis Diorama. Up until now I've just been getting the figures needed for it, but by next month I'll actually have time to begin on the dio itself.
That's pretty ambitious as I know for a fact that you'll need lots of space for that. I've done a few dioramas on Geonosis (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php/cat/727/password//page/1) and you're more than welcome to use any design ideas from them. Don't forget to post about it when you're done.

AC

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2004, 03:12 PM
I was gonna do a huge Arena battle diorama, I had it planned since they announced the droid and clone 3-packs. Of course those things turned out to be harder than Hell to find in my area, so I may have to wait a while and continue to army build. If I ever do, I'll definitely post pics - I'm gonna do a setup of everything that goes on in the arena, and make it look like the movie!

jedihunter25
01-10-2004, 08:25 PM
I've been working- on and off, on my new diorama -ESB Bespin Hallways,The Escape. It has been a very slow process because I've been slammed at work for the last couple of weeks, and it doesn't look like it is going to slow down anytime soon. I also ended up building an ESB shelf a few years back for all my ESB stuff. The top shelf is scenes for the beginning of the movie and descends in order to the bottom shelf for the end of the movie. I have it planned to where my Reactor Control Room diorama sits on top of this one that I am building to allow some space for a Bespin Slave 1 diorama. The only problem with that is it only lets me build the Hallways with only 18" of space long. In this diorama I want to inclued R2 opening the door, windows that show the outside of bespin, and Stormtroopers coming out of an elevator. It's hard to put all these together in one diorama and trying to make it not look too crowded with only 18" of space long so I think I'm going to work these in with depth to hopefully make it look descent. Here is a pick of the lower half of my ESB shelf-

jedihunter25
01-10-2004, 08:43 PM
And here is a pic of what I've gotten done on my new diorama so far-

bobafrett
01-11-2004, 01:12 AM
And here is a pic of what I've gotten done on my new diorama so far-

So far, so good! More ambitious than I will ever be. I simply don't have the specae to build or display any dioramas.

ACPin
01-13-2004, 09:48 PM
I've been working- on and off, on my new diorama -ESB Bespin Hallways,The Escape. It has been a very slow process because I've been slammed at work for the last couple of weeks, and it doesn't look like it is going to slow down anytime soon. I also ended up building an ESB shelf a few years back for all my ESB stuff. The top shelf is scenes for the beginning of the movie and descends in order to the bottom shelf for the end of the movie. I have it planned to where my Reactor Control Room diorama sits on top of this one that I am building to allow some space for a Bespin Slave 1 diorama. The only problem with that is it only lets me build the Hallways with only 18" of space long. In this diorama I want to inclued R2 opening the door, windows that show the outside of bespin, and Stormtroopers coming out of an elevator. It's hard to put all these together in one diorama and trying to make it not look too crowded with only 18" of space long so I think I'm going to work these in with depth to hopefully make it look descent. Here is a pick of the lower half of my ESB shelf-
Good idea to have them displayed in the book shelves with a common theme.

cubicleslave
01-21-2004, 07:07 PM
I completed my first custom (AOTC Forward Command Center), and then last month decided to take on something a bit more amibitous for the next project. The concept is a custom playset/diorama of an Army of the Republic base, more of a playset or dynamic diorama. The basic framework is some generic plastic storage shelving that I picked up at Kmart; it is presently three shelves, which I have divided into two levels of rooms or corridors per shelf. The top shelf is a landing platform for the AOTC Republic Gunship; the top level or story below that will be turbolaser and laser cannon batteries. The bottom level is almost done, and consists of a main reactor, a shield generator, and maintenance rooms. So far, everything is scratchbuilt from high-impact styrene sheet and assorted plastic bits and shapes from my recycle bin.

Cubicleslave

Silent Chazz
01-21-2004, 09:18 PM
after some thought and looking at te figures I have aquired for my Geonosis Diorama, I've decided to split it into two different dioramas as to save space to be able to store both in my room (instead of in one large piece that cant store well in my room). I also did this to distinguish my White Battle Droids from Red ones and to be able to fit Yoda and Adi Gallia into a Jedi Vs. Droids Diorama. Basically its going to be a Geonosis Dio with Mace leading the jedi and the second Dio is gonna be another battle of the Clone Wars with Yoda in command of the Jedi fighting the droids. I havent figured out what kind of terrain the 2nd Diorama will be, though, yet. Any ideas?

Kidhuman
01-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Chazz, if you can get hold of a Taun Taun, put Yoda on it like in the opening scene of the Clone Wars Cartoon. Use some kinda dirt flooring, Maybe some dirt in a on some plexi-glass or maybe inside a box lid. Have the clone troopers behind him running and shooting, it would be good if you have a ton of SA clones. On the other side, have the droid army attacking back. Man if I had the room and figures I could set up a sweet display. Just some thoughts for you.

Silent Chazz
01-22-2004, 10:13 PM
I like the thoughts and I Might be able to pick up a TaunTaun if the TRU still has the Hoth 4 Packs when I go to Amarillo next month. However, I can only pretty much make a Jedi Versus Battle Droid types of Dioramas as I don't own a single Clone. No 3-pack Clones, No Saga Red Clones, No Ep 2 Sneak Preview Clones, and no SA Clones. ;(

Silent Chazz
01-25-2004, 02:13 PM
UPDATE: I've officially begun construction on my diorama. I was able to find a piece of Styrofoam that was large enough yet small enough for a display in my bedroom. Thus, my original splitting the diorama into two is no more. I figure I have the space now to leave all the figs I had planned onto this diorama.

So far, here are my plans:
-Find a Base: Check
-Paint the Base for a first coat: Check
-Buy Elmers glue and get sand
from the school my dad teaches at: Not Done yet
-glue down sand and 'rocks': Not Done Yet
-spraypaint another coat of
sandy red into the finished base: Not Done Yet
-Apply figures to diorama: Not Done Yet

Thats my progress so far.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-25-2004, 05:42 PM
My parents told me that I could have a whole room dedicated to Star Wars (it's already all over the basement and my room), and it seems that we might be moving to a new house in the area soon. I'm currently making the plans for my room, and I'll try to a thing like the one on here, but from all the movies. Going in order from left to right, but I'm having trouble planning some scenes because I don't like to buy repeats unless they're new sculpts or army builders. Hopefully we'll move there, and I can do it. :)

Kidhuman
01-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Man it sucks not having room to display your figures properly. I have an entire ROOM wall to wall in figures and plenty more coming that I dont have room for. I still have my vehicles and playsets packed up because of lack of room. When I do buy my own house, it will have a room exclusively for my figures and such.

ACPin
01-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Man it sucks not having room to display your figures properly. I have an entire ROOM wall to wall in figures and plenty more coming that I dont have room for. I still have my vehicles and playsets packed up because of lack of room. When I do buy my own house, it will have a room exclusively for my figures and such.
You could rotate the figures that you have on display and I'm assuming in this case that you open them. I've had pretty much the same problem a long time ago which actually led me to the dioramas that I've done. I'll never have much of a chance to actually have my whole collection displayed properly unless I win the lottery. So doing dioramas gives me the chance to show them off and at the same time the pictures that I take gives me the satisfaction of looking at my collection without rumaging through the storage boxes again and again.

Kidhuman
01-25-2004, 10:45 PM
You could rotate the figures that you have on display and I'm assuming in this case that you open them. I've had pretty much the same problem a long time ago which actually led me to the dioramas that I've done. I'll never have much of a chance to actually have my whole collection displayed properly unless I win the lottery. So doing dioramas gives me the chance to show them off and at the same time the pictures that I take gives me the satisfaction of looking at my collection without rumaging through the storage boxes again and again.

No, I am a MOC collector. I have em hanging on cards allaround the room. I have really run out of space in here. Its not a big room, but none the less, its full. I could move a few things around and create space for about 40 more, but I am pretty much up to date on them right now, so that gives me some time.

ACPin
02-03-2004, 10:05 PM
No, I am a MOC collector. I have em hanging on cards allaround the room. I have really run out of space in here. Its not a big room, but none the less, its full. I could move a few things around and create space for about 40 more, but I am pretty much up to date on them right now, so that gives me some time.
How about the ceiling? lol

cubicleslave
03-25-2004, 12:56 PM
I like the idea of diorama scenes for displaying figures; allows you to rotate your collection and add some visual interest. I usually have two at a time, one diorama from ATOC and another from the classic triology. I want to build a rebel hangar diorama on a grand scale, I have almost enough ships for it now. I've been acquiring used and abused x-wings on ebay for customizing, and want to start adding serious battle damage, so that I can use them in a repair bay scene within the hangar bay. Just need some more vehicle energizers! :ermm:

I've also made some progress on my design for a republic army base/playset; I will post that soon. I'm constructing it in a modular approach; so far just the main assemblies for the reactor and shield generator room are finished. I finally found some suitable guns (really a turret with twin cannons) from mini-GI Joe at a swap meet, they will work for creating a master and molding resin copies. I need to paint some stuff (or maybe primer) before pix.

clonehead
03-25-2004, 01:38 PM
i enjoy what you guys are doing, but i could never do it. i just can't open up the figures. it goes against what i have been doing the past 5 years.

but i am happy that someone else would open them up and actually use them. Good for you's! keep up the good work.

Silent Chazz
04-09-2004, 11:16 PM
I FINISHED the Geonosis Arena Diorama. I unfortunately have no film in my camera. BUT, as soon as I get some, I'll snap pics and get em developed on a PictureCD. Then I'll post em here in this thread.

cubicleslave
04-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Anyone have a new project in the works? I am still settling into my new house, and unpacked and organizing everything. Fortunately, I boxed up the projects I was working on. Now all I need is to build a new workbench...

Val Da Car
05-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Rhen Var...and the possibility of making it a Genosian Arena/Battle scene soon