PDA

View Full Version : The Rule of Target

2-1B
01-08-2004, 11:58 PM
I saw a post in the Wal-Mart thread and since that thread is creeping toward the political :crazed: , I figured I would start a thread on it to gauge what's going on in the rest of the country:

I've always found Target to be a much classier place than Wal-mart. Around my parts, when you head to Target there's always hot college chicks shopping there.

This is true.

Call me shallow, call me a pig, but I can't help but notice the overall percentage of attractive Target employees and consumers.

I mean come on, EVERY time I go to a Target store (and I'm talking about a 90 mile radius here), it seems like I'm walking into the Fertile Crescent or something. It's borderline ridiculous.

Sorry. :nerv:

:nerv:

James Boba Fettfield
01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
The Lennox Target here outside of Ohio State does not follow that rule. I mean, you've got your decent looking females and males, because the store is right outside the university, but there's plenty of "uglies" :p to even things up.

Employee wise, there's one I see in there that's "pug fugly" as Moe from The Simpsons would say. Usually the cashiers look like their from the university, so all is well beauty wise. But Target does beat the Wal Mart lookers, though, in beauty.

bobafrett
01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Caesar, you shallow pig, I agree with you. I've seen much more attracctive cliental at Target stores than at Wal-Marts. In fact, I'm trying to get a job there! I really, really need to find a job soon. Delivering pizza just ain't making the money that buys the toys.

kool-aid killer
01-09-2004, 10:03 AM
I hear you Ceaser, even the security guard girl at my nearest Target is hot. I think Targets employee dress code also makes their girls look better. Walmarts look kind of odd, with their regular clothes on and a vest over it. I like Target.

El Chuxter
01-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Just don't go in with a red shirt. That's the real rule of Target. :)

sith_killer_99
01-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, it seems like Wal-Mart also targets (no pun intended) older employees. Look at all the elderly people working at Wal-Mart. I don't think I've seen a Target employee over 50 in a long time, if ever.

Which kinda makes sense, when you think about it. Wal-Mart has lower prices, they pay lower wages, so they target employees who just want to supliment their retirement or Social Security.

bobafrett
01-09-2004, 12:25 PM

I hear that, I went to a Target with my Y.M.C.A. work shirt on, and I had two people come up and ask me where to find certain items. When I told them I didn't know, they looked at my shirt and said "Don't you work here?" :classic:

Mandalorian Candidat
01-09-2004, 03:57 PM

No. The real rule of Target is don't talk about Target. :p

And yes, the shoppers in my area tend to polarize between Target and WM based on looks and weight.

El Chuxter
01-09-2004, 04:27 PM
No. The real rule of Target is don't talk about Target. :p

And Rule #2 of Target is "First learn Rule #1," right?

Oh no. I've mixed up my movie references! Mere anarchy will be unleashed upon the forums! Arrgh! Now there's a William Butler Yeats reference and a pointless pirate quote in there! We're in trouble!! Everyone to Target to ogle the employees and snatch up the 12" Leia Speederbikes before the world ends!!

:crazed:

JediTricks
01-10-2004, 04:15 AM
I think Targets employee dress code also makes their girls look better. Heh heh, I was at a Target the other day where either the dress code was being enforced a little too strictly or this gal just liked wearing red undies, which I didn't mind a bit. ;) First time I've ever seen a slacks-wearing Target employees underpants, maybe they ALL wear red. :crazed:

Just don't go in with a red shirt. That's the real rule of Target. :)Tell me! I have the magic touch with that, I own 1 red shirt but it always accidentally seems to be on when I end up at Target. A few years ago, I had what my friends used to call my "can you help me" blue shirt, a regular dark blue T-shirt that every chain seemed to have their employees wearing a similar shirt as, especially TRU. I've tried to stop wearing anything that remotely indicates myself as a potential employee of that particular chain, but it doesn't matter, I wear a long-sleeved black shirt and faded jeans, customers think I work there. Old faded black t-shirt with a frayed pocket and pushing a cart? Of course I'd wear that while working at K-mart instead of the vest they force all their employees to don, ma'am, and this cart with toys and sweats and cereal and a pair of pants, those are apparently go-backs to you, I understand. And it's not even limited to the toy section anymore! I hate working retail, I haven't worked retail in 10 years, so why does everybody think I'm working at any store I'm shopping in?

Anyway, Target rules, Wal-mart drools. Just to add to all the Target love in this thread, I found 12" Leia Speederbike for $12.48 recently and bought it (from the aforementioned attractive clerk showing her undies), and today I picked up Transformers:Armada Unicron for $21.38 to boot.

scruffziller
01-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Well, it seems like Wal-Mart also targets (no pun intended) older employees. Look at all the elderly people working at Wal-Mart. I don't think I've seen a Target employee over 50 in a long time, if ever.

Which kinda makes sense, when you think about it. Wal-Mart has lower prices, they pay lower wages, so they target employees who just want to supliment their retirement or Social Security.
Ain't that the truth. And they are not just door greeters either.:mad:
I have to work with one. He's as worthless as a.......... you get it............
It is an epidemic too. The store is saturated with them. What they can't or won't do we youngsters have to pick up the slack on.:rolleyes: And we are the ones who are scrutinized the most. Basically in my department, if you can't do a construction job you have no business working here.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Maybe economics has something to do with it, because Target pays their employees up to a couple dollars more than their notorious miserly counterparts at Wal-Mart. Usually, a more competitive pay scale will attract a more well-bred class of people to go into retail. These people tend to concentrate more on beauty and looks than the others. Now lets say you go to Dollar General on the other hand, you do notice a drop-off in looks.

My observation logically seems short-sighted, since retail employers tend not to hire based on looks and stores should theoretically have a mix of people who work there, both beautiful and ugly. With my apologies to retail workers everywhere, however, Target seems to be at the upper echelon of the beauty spectrum.

:p

sith_killer_99
01-11-2004, 01:07 PM
I have to work with one. He's as worthless as a.......... you get it............It is an epidemic too. The store is saturated with them. What they can't or won't do we youngsters have to pick up the slack on.

You see, there in lays the problem. If Wal-Mart hires a bunch of people who can't do their job fully, then they are forced to hire more people (youngsters) who can do the job. It seems like a waste of money if you ask me. Money that could go to hiring legal workers to clean up, allow for unions, and on and on.

Sam must have left some hairbrained clause in the Company that says they must employ X number of Senior Citizens at each store or some other crazy non-sense. It just dosen't make good business sense.

I mean think about it. Wal-Mart brought in these "Greeters" to make themselves appear more consumer friendly. Yet, to this day noone believes Wal-Mart cares about their customers or their employees. No other store wastes money on greeters. Any other business would have canned the whole thing long ago.

And like Scruffziller said, it's not just the greeters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hiring the elderly, but it must be balanced with responsability. They should be put to work doing things that they are capable of doing, like cashiers or concession stand work.

kool-aid killer
01-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Usually, a more competitive pay scale will attract a more well-bred class of people to go into retail. These people tend to concentrate more on beauty and looks than the others. Now lets say you go to Dollar General on the other hand, you do notice a drop-off in looks.

My observation logically seems short-sighted, since retail employers tend not to hire based on looks and stores should theoretically have a mix of people who work there, both beautiful and ugly. With my apologies to retail workers everywhere, however, Target seems to be at the upper echelon of the beauty spectrum. :p

I think some places hire according to looks. The Buckle and stores like that quickly come to mind. Ive never seen a ugly girl working in those types of stores. I doubt whoever does the hiring for those places would hire a Goth chick even if she was fully capable of doing the job. She would look out of place there. Many youngsters at retail places also suffer from a so what attitude. They could care less about the job, they dont go to learn anything, just to pick up a check.

Banthaholic
01-18-2004, 10:03 PM
I thought it was pretty hilarious when I heard that playboy was going to do a girls of wal-mart edition. Now when ever me & my girlfirend are shopping wal-mart I always remind her of the issue, then get a laugh at some of the 'failed prospects'.

I know I've been at Target and purposely waited in a longer line beacuse of the looks of the checker, I haven't done that at wal-mart yet. Although that could be, as some of you have mentioned, that the employees tend to be alot older.

mabudonicus
01-19-2004, 08:42 AM
If there are rules behind this phenomenon, they would be somewhat illegal,no??

I'm sure there are plenty of "guidelines" that remain unwritten as far as the whole "looks" thing goes..
Hiring seniors seems to be a trade-off, seniors are probably seen to be more responsible, so the diminished abilities are contrasted by dependability... also I think it would have something to do with the way the social network is set up with regards to seniors....

And if you are mildly paranoid like me, it seems to go pretty deep and have some odd sort of "hidden meaning" to it...

When it comes down to it, every angle of WM and others like it is examined and adjusted and tweaked so much, especially now that WM seems to have gone into full blown PR shell-game mode, trying SO hard to put forth the small-town, homespun image, it's hard to tell what is really happening and why.

And as for the pretty cashiers, from the repsponses in this thread alone it should be clear that it's no accident :D

scruffziller
01-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I thought it was pretty hilarious when I heard that playboy was going to do a girls of wal-mart edition. Now when ever me & my girlfirend are shopping wal-mart I always remind her of the issue, then get a laugh at some of the 'failed prospects'.

PLAYBOY seems to always hit the more "scandelous" organizations. Like Enron etc. We think that one of the women in that issue used to work at our store.:D

The 'Xir
01-20-2004, 09:29 AM
I haven't worked retail in 10 years, so why does everybody think I'm working at any store I'm shopping in?

Well, it sure isn't your good looks! :p But, you just must have one of those faces! aaawwwww :kiss: iew :speech: ;)

stillakid
01-20-2004, 12:00 PM
I mean think about it. Wal-Mart brought in these "Greeters" to make themselves appear more consumer friendly. Yet, to this day noone believes Wal-Mart cares about their customers or their employees. No other store wastes money on greeters. Any other business would have canned the whole thing long ago.

Disney Stores (in malls) did that when they first opened but it appears as though they phased it out.

If any store could use a greeter it would Home Depot. Those guys make themselves scarce as soon as any customers come through the doors.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-20-2004, 12:11 PM
If any store could use a greeter it would Home Depot. Those guys make themselves scarce as soon as any customers come through the doors.

LOL! How true is that! Then when you finally nail one down they either get harrassed by other people wanting his (OK, sometimes her) help or they make you feel like a dope for needing their help to pick out the right flange or whatever you need to make your project to work.

El Chuxter
01-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Home Depot's one of those stores I won't go into anymore, because they're one of those that try to force you into using the automated checkout systems (by having ridiculously long lines in the other one, count it, one, register), which they have to have an employee stand there to verify. It makes no sense to me why they'll pay to have someone monitor the self-checkout registers (not to mention the cost of the register system) and not just have them operate a normal checkout. If I want to do it myself, I'll go online.

Kidhuman
01-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Home Depot bites. They once were a great company to work for, I should know I worked for themtwice. About three years ago, they hired some dude from GE I believe to run there operations. Now, he was fired from GE (or wherever) for basically sucking it up. ANd now he is driving Home Depot right into the ground. GOod thing Arthur Blanke bought the Falcons, cause he would of lost a fortune if he had no other income. Home Depots policy of costumer service is good. BUt at the same time, they only want 1-2 poeple scheduled in each Department at once. So 1 person, on an 8 hour shift in the flooring department is ridiculous. It was a good thing I just unloaded trucks when that policy came down.

dr_evazan22
01-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Hey guys I work PT at Depot and I have to say that my store has the best service in Delaware. But I also have to say I HATE MY JOB!!!!. That company makes money in spite of themselves. What makes my job suck is that I have 2 dept supes who don't know their a__ from a hole in the ground. Then there is the management "team" that put those people in position. The best part about working there is helping customers. And getting back on topic here, especially the hotties that come in. Let me give you guys out there a warning... If you know your HD is having a Ladies Night, stay away! There will be no hotties there that night!