PDA

View Full Version : Endor Wave pics!

A.J.
01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.headlines/id.994/dn/default.cfm

I wasn't excited about this wave, but I like what I see. Looks like some more articulated figs.

amidalak
01-12-2004, 02:12 PM
could care less about solo, but madine and lando look great! why did we have to suffer through 02/03 to finally get figs of this caliber?

Beast
01-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Very nice, very nice. Nubien. The Han looks better then the other picture that we've seen from the Insider. Some people call it a E.U. figure. Some people call it a useless figure. I like it, even if there's no proof either way if he wore the full uniform or not. For those that believe he did, they finally have one of their often requested obscure figures. For those that don't, cheap army builder. :)

Lando: General makes up in so many ways for the abomination POTF2 figure. Very nice looking. The holster is a bit big, but I don't have a major issue with it. The cape is really well done. And the figure sports decent articulation and likeness. Can't wait to pick him up. And Lando: General finally comes off the 'needed resculpts' list. :)

And finally, the figure that was rumored for a while impossible to make. General Madine. If you haven't followed the news on this figure, there were a few rumors that Hasbro couldn't make a new version due to likeness rights. Nice to see that finally struck down. And damn, does he look great or what. Bring on the wave. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-12-2004, 02:40 PM
There's some slightly larger pictures up over at the Official Star Wars site. Feel free to check them out as well, at the following link. :)

http://starwars.com/collecting/news/2004/01/news20040112.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dark Marble
01-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Some great figures!!! I was hoping for a resculpt of Han in his duster but I guess not. :rolleyes: I am not the excited about the new Han, but if I find him hanging in my local Target I will pick him up. I am not going to go out of my way for that one, but bring on the rest!!

Silent Chazz
01-12-2004, 04:54 PM
These figures look great. I am definately picking up 2 of General Madine.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-12-2004, 05:26 PM
:eek: These are all great! But, why doesn't Han have a comlink, or did he only put his hand up to hide his face? I wonder if these great figres are to make up for all those damn repack figures. :p

Turbowars
01-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Hasbro did a great job! Now lets see some more new stuff!!

Jargo
01-12-2004, 08:26 PM
They look odd to me, Madines head seems small and his body seems ill proportioned. Lando looks odd too for a reason i can't put my finger on, but possibly the weird looking legs. Han looks like he's auditioning for Spaceballs. The best of the bunch to me is Han though. Still at least the other two are finally half decent figures of the characters and Lando was overdue for a revival, so that's two ethnic figures at least for 2004. Out of how many? Tokenism at it's best.

Silent Chazz
01-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Whats also great about this set is they're due out in Late Spring. So this means they'll be around in April or May.

Turbowars
01-12-2004, 09:54 PM
They look odd to me, Madines head seems small and his body seems ill proportioned. Lando looks odd too for a reason i can't put my finger on, but possibly the weird looking legs. Han looks like he's auditioning for Spaceballs. The best of the bunch to me is Han though. Still at least the other two are finally half decent figures of the characters and Lando was overdue for a revival, so that's two ethnic figures at least for 2004. Out of how many? Tokenism at it's best.Tokenism, LOL I love it!!!:sur:

Tycho
01-13-2004, 01:36 AM
I love the Madine figure.

What do you mean Tokenism? Lando's a main character. Just with all his resculpts coming out this year, it still leaves me wishing for a Smuggler's Gear figure of him that I've wanted since I was a kid.

If they want to do "token ethnic characters,"

bring on:

black Bespin Guard - a necessary vintage remake.
black x-wing pilot from ROTJ - "She's going to blow!"
Asian Y-wing pilot from ROTJ - "I'm hit!"
white Naboo Royal Guard (the original was hard to find and of a darker ethnicity)
black Naboo Royal security (better pose and more articulation, too)
black Coruscant Senate Guard (maybe with removeable helmet, like in the comics)
black Endor Rebel Soldier (ROTJ)
Asian chic Jedi (Baltar Swan)
Asian aide to Chancellor Valorem (Sei Teria)
white lady N1 pilot "What's that? It's blowing up from the inside!"
black N1 pilot "Look- one of ours! Out of the main hold!"
black Jabba the Hutt skiff guard (human, obviously)

I seriously want all of these anyway, so I'm not being sarcastic or patronizing. These would all make cool figures. Some like the pilots, could be grouped in screen-scenes or bonus packs. Some should be carded, obviously (Jedi, Senate figures, army builders)

In any case, perhaps at the time, Lucas was trying to be more politically correct in his casting of ESB compared to ANH, but he was ahead of his time for everything but Star Trek then. Yet, I grew up being much too young to remember discrimination and I was a fan of SW and ST so I was used to multi-ethnic casting and it made me feel good - like everyone gets their chance to play. From Lando to Lt. Uhura, I loved these characters. Being that Lando did more in my favorite Sci-Fi until Geordi LaForge, and that he's a main character by screen time, and cast credits, I never thought Calrissian was a token anything. Billy Dee Williams was perfect for that role too! Could you imagine anyone else playing it? Black actors as talented as Will Smith, or even Oscar-winning Denzyl Washington wouldn't have pulled it off - well maybe Washington - his career's much more impressive than Williams'. But I love Billy Dee and what he brought to Star Wars. Besides, Washington was too young back then anyway. - Oh, and not that Mace Windu isn't great - but Sam Jackson would NEVER have been right to be cast as Lando, I think. He's too much of a tough guy. I don't know...maybe. But I'm going in circles here. Billy Dee was the right man for the right job!

Long live Lando!

Beast
01-13-2004, 01:44 AM
Well, since the movie doesn't take place on earth. Let alone even our own universe. Having a 'Token' character doesn't really count does it. Since the movie is full of odd aliens and such. That's always been how I seen it. Unless we're gonna label Jabba as the token Hutt and Chewbacca as the token Wookie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Spoken like a true white boy.

JEDIpartner
01-13-2004, 09:23 AM
The Solo figure is kinda funny to me. Did han REALLY put the boots and the pants on or did he just throw the helmet, gloves and jacket on? *shrug*

Anyhow... these are fine enough. I'm not going to complain.

B'Omarr Monkey
01-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Lando and Madine look fantastic, though Madine's sculpt looks like there may be some truth to the likeness issue. His face is different and it appears that that really bad comb over he had going is toned down a bit. He looks better than he did in the movie. Even so, I still recognize him as Madine. So, maybe we can get the Tonnika Sisters after all, if there's any truth to the likeness issue with them. Heck, they have likeness rights to Luke and that hasn't stopped them from never sculpting him accurately.

Lando's holster does seem too big (but not as big as Han's goggles!) but doesn't ruin the figure. Ever since they've started making working holsters, the scale of the weapons has changed. Now they seem too small. So, either way, there's a scale issue.

Beast
01-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Spoken like a true white boy.
Nope, just speakin' logically and with some commen sense, my friend. ;) :)

Lando's holster does seem too big (but not as big as Han's goggles!) but doesn't ruin the figure.
As I pointed out in another thread, the goggles really are not that oversized. Infact they're pretty spot on with the size of the goggles in the movie. They're definatly not oversized like Luke: Hoth. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7305

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
01-13-2004, 12:15 PM
I think all these figures look awesome. The Han is the worst of em, but I have learned not to judge from pics(Mace CW). Lando is LONG overdue, and a new Madine figure is great. Hasbro is definitly making this up to us. Its about time they are listening to us, the collectors.

kool-aid killer
01-13-2004, 12:26 PM
The only vintage figure i ever found on a peg will be coming to a store near me soon: Madine!!! This guy, who realistically is a nerd toy for the most part, has held a special part in my heart due to the fact that he was the lone Star Wars figure i ever found on card. I like the other two but will most likely pass on them.

Beast
01-13-2004, 03:37 PM
There have been a few complaints (not really here), about the size of Lando: General's holster. And the fact it made no sense to have to make it larger just to allow it to be removable. But someone pointed out on Galactic Hunter, that when he's piloting the Falcon he doesn't wear the holster. So yay to Hasbro for taking note of that. Even if it means the holster comes out a bit large. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
01-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Boy, those are really showing a significant improvement in Hasbro's ability to create likenesses of the actors. The faces are incredible - as big an improvement over 2003 Saga as POTJ was over POTF2, in my opinion. I can only hope the figures we get actually look like these. Fantastic.

TheDarthVader
01-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Each and every figure from this wave looks great! Madine is long overdue and it will be a pleasure to add him to my collection. Han Solo is cool but not necessary, the sculpt is good though! I will definitely buy a Solo AT-ST gear. The Lando looks perfect! They finally got General Lando right (especially compared to FF Lando). Thanks for the pics, JJB!

angellus
01-14-2004, 05:00 PM
The Lando looks great compared to the POTF2 version, and I'm glad they finally got around to making a General Madine. Did we really need this Han though? I highly doubt he had enough time to throw on the entire uniform. I would've preferred a resculpt of the Han Solo in trench coat, but this Han is still better than another figure based on the prequels. I hope Hasbro keeps the classic stuff coming!

r3pohh yeah
01-15-2004, 05:46 AM
hi, did rotj ever even show han in at least just the at-st uniform helmet?????

r3pohh yeah
01-15-2004, 05:52 AM
:) hi, did rotj ever even show han in at least just the at-st uniform helmet?????

r3pohh yeah
01-15-2004, 05:54 AM
:) hi, did rotj ever even show han in at least just the at-st uniform helmet?????

B'Omarr Monkey
01-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Yes, he wears the helmet, and I think the gloves, but since Han seems to be relying on covering his face with his hand, and the technologically advance really fuzzy communications transmissions of the SW Universe, it seems unlikely that he would put on the rest of the uniform for what he was doing. Presumedly the action figure was sculpted with the AT-ST driver's Imperial issued wallet in the back pocket, too.

angellus
01-15-2004, 09:39 AM

Han wore the helmet--and maybe even the goggles, too--when he duped the imperial commander into opening the bunker doors. It shows him up on the view screen when he says "It's over commander. The Rebels have been routed and they're fleeing into the woods." And then two seconds later the Imperials are running out of the bunker and Han pops out in his normal clothes. That's why I don't think he put on the entire uniform. I suppose you could make the argument that we don't know how much time has elapsed between the time Han was shown on the screen and the when the Imperials exit the bunker, but it just doesn't make sense for him to throw on the entire uniform--especially since the viewscreen only shows him from the neck up.

Jayspawn
01-15-2004, 10:27 AM
I think they look great. Especially Madine. I like the POTF2 General Lando just fine but this one is just as well. I'll get the Han and maybe a few to army build.

Beast
01-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Han wore the helmet--and maybe even the goggles, too--when he duped the imperial commander into opening the bunker doors. It shows him up on the view screen when he says "It's over commander. The Rebels have been routed and they're fleeing into the woods." And then two seconds later the Imperials are running out of the bunker and Han pops out in his normal clothes. That's why I don't think he put on the entire uniform. I suppose you could make the argument that we don't know how much time has elapsed between the time Han was shown on the screen and the when the Imperials exit the bunker, but it just doesn't make sense for him to throw on the entire uniform--especially since the viewscreen only shows him from the neck up.
If you've ever worn coveralls, like the Imperial AT-ST driver uniforms are, then you'll know it's very easy to quickly throw them on and then take them off. And as you said, we don't know how much time has elapsed between the com transmission and the Stormies coming out the back door. There is a deleted scene of a firefight down the corridor from the back door to the main bunker that shows that it's not quite as close as it appears to be on film. So it could be very easy for him to shed the uniform, by the time the two squads of troopers had been sent to help round up the rebels. And even if he didn't, the figure does turn up from time to time on wishlists. So those people get their obscure Han AT-ST, and everyone else gets a cheap army builder. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

r3pohh yeah
01-16-2004, 03:30 AM
right on. thanks for responding to my queerie. Its funny, ive seen ROTJ a million times since i was a kid but for some reason never noticed it was Han himself who did the transmission to the imps.

every time one watches or discusses the SW movies they learn somethin new.

fishyfett
01-16-2004, 12:24 PM
I think they look great. Especially Madine. I like the POTF2 General Lando just fine but this one is just as well. I'll get the Han and maybe a few to army build.And this is probably what some people had in mind. Not the least Hasbro. Watch this figure sell like hot potatoes in retail. ;)

BoShek
01-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Got to love that elbow articulation!