PDA

View Full Version : You served under my father in the Clone Wars..."

B'Omarr Monkey
01-14-2004, 09:53 AM
I just watched ANH again yesterday, and a bit of dialogue caught my attention. Leia's hologram addresses Obi-Wan as General Kenobi and states that he served under her father during the Clone Wars.

I haven't seen any of the Cartoon Network Clone Wars cartoons, and am pretty confidant that it wouldn't make a difference to this thread, but is there any indication that a). Obi-Wan, or any other Jedi gets a rank outside the Jedi order? I don't seem to remember any of the clone troopers in AOTC referring to Yoda as commander, or anything invoking a rank.

b). Is there any indication that Bail Organa signed up for military duty during the Clone Wars and was orchestrating battles and such? He's set up as a pretty big pacifist in AOTC, so I can't see it happening. If anything, it seems like Palpatine is giving all the Jedi their orders.

Just another one of those conundrums that leads me to believe that George Lucas didn't bother looking at the original trilogy before he started winging it on the prequels.

JEDIpartner
01-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Here's my understanding of the situation... yes, many of the Jedi were named Generals and given ranks as they led squads of Clone Troopers into battle. The Jedi were in charge. Secondly, I believe that many of the high ranking official were also a part of the military proceedings in the Senate. As such, Bail Organa could have possibly overseen the contingent that Obi-Wan was a part of. I guess we will discover the details in the near future.

2-1B
01-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Just another one of those conundrums that leads me to believe that George Lucas didn't bother looking at the original trilogy before he started winging it on the prequels.

How the heck is this already a conundrum ?
There's a whole movie to be seen yet. It's ignorant to already blame Lucas for not doing his homework on this one. :rolleyes:

B'Omarr Monkey
01-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Since the Clone Wars are supposed to take place between movies, I don't know that this can definitely be answered. I'm just speculating based on how things were presented in AOTC that Bail Organa did not seem to be in a position to be doing much military leadership, and the Jedi seemed to be addressed as "Master Kenobi," Master Windu," etc. vs any sort of military ranking.

If you can prove me wrong, great. I'm not looking for reasons to slam the movies, I'm simply pointing out possible holes in story continuity. This was meant to be a discussion. Not an attack. I'm simply curious about what people think either supporting my question, or countering it.

2-1B
01-15-2004, 04:53 AM
No, the Clone Wars are supposed to begin with AOTC and end with E3 (while the bulk of it takes place in between). There's the setting for them and we've only seen half of it so far. Organa is against the army during the movie but by the end of the film he is still standing there along with Palps. He very well might go further in his reluctant involvement and take on greater roles of leadership. That remains to be seen, but personally that's my expectation because of what Leia says in ANH.

You prompted a discussion, seeking to see if others supported your question or countered it. I countered it by pointing out the absurdity of already labeling it a conundrum when we've only seen half of the story.

What's the problem in saying that ?

B'Omarr Monkey
01-15-2004, 09:28 AM
No problem.

I was just explaining my reason for suggesting there was a conundrum.

JEDIpartner
01-15-2004, 11:07 AM
All of this remains to be seen... but I DO believe that Bail Organa will have an active role in the "Wars".

stillakid
01-15-2004, 12:09 PM
"You served my father in the Clone Wars."

Or maybe this means that Obi leaves the Jedi Order and gets a job at Wex's Diner as a waiter. :D

[DSS]Pedr0
01-15-2004, 12:36 PM
All of this remains to be seen... but I DO believe that Bail Organa will have an active role in the "Wars".
Maybe the Rebellion forms alot sooner than we think and Obi helps Bail out with some issues.

2-1B
01-19-2004, 01:28 AM
"You served my father in the Clone Wars."

Or maybe this means that Obi leaves the Jedi Order and gets a job at Wex's Diner as a waiter. :D

Very possible!

Hopefully Obi-Wan's role won't be reduced to a background extra (like the blonde waitress in AOTC) and replaced by a digital Flo-Bot. :D

stillakid
01-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Very possible!

Hopefully Obi-Wan's role won't be reduced to a background extra (like the blonde waitress in AOTC) and replaced by a digital Flo-Bot. :D

oops, just realized that it should have been Dex, not Wex. I'll blame my recent trip to Disneyland. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Anyway . . .
Part of your confusion, B'Omarr Monkey, might stem from the fact that you thought Leia said "You served under my father in the Clone Wars." Actually, the word "under" wasn't in there. Bail, as you can see, is a very strong loyalist and supporter of the Republic. The Jedi serve and protect the Republic, it's their duty. So, Obi-Wan served Bail. :)
Now, whether or not Bail becomes an army leader is yet to be seen. But I think what I wrote just now is probably correct.
Oh, and most Jedi were made Generals (Obi-Wan, Mace) in the Clone Wars. :)

B'Omarr Monkey
01-22-2004, 09:51 AM
"served" and "served under" could make a difference. Thanks for the info. I wasn't looking to find fault with the movies, just looking to make sense of what seemed inconsistent to me.