PDA

View Full Version : Laserdisc Troubleshooting! Help!!!!!

scruffziller
01-15-2004, 02:47 PM
As I posted in another thread I(well actually my brother and I) purchased the Definitive Collection OT on Laserdisc and a LD player.

Big Problem.
At the end on some of the discs(on all the ANH) about 5-10 minutes before the side is over the discs begin to jump and then all of a sudden the discs go into a weird fast forwarding motion through the movie until the end. The player makes a funny noise and then shuts off completely. This doesn't happen on all the discs. It did in a much lesser form on one of the ESB discs but other than that it played fine. I checked the discs that did it for any scratches that would have caused it but found very little. In fact one of the ESB discs has a large scuffing scratch on it all the way across but played fine until the end in which it did the same thing but alot later than the ANH discs. Could it be they need cleaned?

Now this has led me to believe that possibly it is the player. It was a newer PIONEER(also plays CDs), got it for $30 on Ebay, what does that tell you.

I also did a little research. It is possible the discs are warped from sitting flat instead of upright. And to flatten them out to put them between 2 heavy flat objects or something.

scruffziller
01-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Any help at all???????.......................:(

Jar Jar you have seemed to be the LD conesieur on the board.........

Hellboy
01-27-2004, 01:49 AM
I've encountered this problem in the past on a few of my disc's too scruffziller. Though it was on my first LD player which was a Pioneer too I found that most of the time if I simply reloaded the disc the problem corrected itself. It might be possible that the player is somewhat out of alignment though. Most of the older players had a "transit screw" in the back that was supposed to be inserted when moving around to prevent alignment problems so if you have a spot for that in the back and it was missing upon purchase its a safe bet that could be the problem. However I would definately recommend getting the player cleaned, it couldn't hurt and probably needs it anyways. The only problem I could see with the discs would be warping like you said or Laser-rot where the glue holding the disc's together erodes causing separation. Both of which would be visually apparent and would make a loud unnatural noise when being played. Hope that helps, Good luck. :)

scruffziller
01-27-2004, 03:15 AM
Thanx Hellboy!!!! Finally someone answered. I sure hope it isn't laserrot.:cry:
I will have to look for that alighnment screw spot. It did make that weird loud kind of a scratching noise when it happened. I suppose their is no way to repair the laserrot.

scruffziller
01-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Score!!! I checked the discs and there is no evidence of Laserrot. But it does seem rather evident that they are somewhat warped. So I have rigged something and set the discs up so they will flatten. I hope it works. How long do you think I need to keep them under the flattening process?

Hellboy
01-28-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure how long I'd leave them because I've never attempted to flatten a disc before. I suppose until they're flat but I would recommend however you do this in a warm room (maybe even a little warmer than usual) to prevent cracking and help in the bending process. :)

scruffziller
01-29-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure how long I'd leave them because I've never attempted to flatten a disc before. I suppose until they're flat but I would recommend however you do this in a warm room (maybe even a little warmer than usual) to prevent cracking and help in the bending process. :)
Yep doing just that.

Turbowars
01-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Yep doing just that.I really can't see it working. You would need a lot of weight and heat to correct it. I doen't mean a hot room, but heat on the disc. I hope I don't have this problem with my discs. I just bought a OT set and still need to pick up a LD player.

scruffziller
01-31-2004, 08:11 AM
I really can't see it working. You would need a lot of weight and heat to correct it. I doen't mean a hot room, but heat on the disc. I hope I don't have this problem with my discs. I just bought a OT set and still need to pick up a LD player.
I learned of this from a website telling me to do this for LD troubleshooting.They get that way from storing them flat. They need to be placed upright like records would be.