PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube "Flying" games

stillakid
01-15-2004, 07:29 PM
I've always loved playing jetfighter type games more than first person shooter, so titles like Rebel Assault have fit that bill along with being great Star Wars experiences.

But do any of you have any recommendations for more down to Earth titles for Gamecube? I wanted to get the new Lucasarts title Secret Weapons over Normandy but of course it isn't for Nintendo. Just browsing through the Nintendo game list, it looks like Top Gun might be interesting.

Any thoughts? (I think that the last really good fighter game I played was Afterburner from Sega, oh about 11 years ago.)

James Boba Fettfield
01-15-2004, 09:59 PM
I'd recommend the upcoming Star Fox and Factor 5's (the guys behind Rogue Squadron series) Pilotwings...but one of those isn't down to earth, and other other isn't too heavy on the shooting side. They're also not released yet...so what good am I doing here.

There's always the Top Gun game, which I'm sure you can find cheap. Reviews say if you want a flight game, then it fits the bill, but it doesn't offer much more beyond that.

So until Star Fox and Pilotwings arrive, it's Star Wars and Top Gun until then.

stillakid
01-15-2004, 10:22 PM
I'd recommend the upcoming Star Fox and Factor 5's (the guys behind Rogue Squadron series) Pilotwings...but one of those isn't down to earth, and other other isn't too heavy on the shooting side. They're also not released yet...so what good am I doing here.

There's always the Top Gun game, which I'm sure you can find cheap. Reviews say if you want a flight game, then it fits the bill, but it doesn't offer much more beyond that.

So until Star Fox and Pilotwings arrive, it's Star Wars and Top Gun until then.
Hey, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for the new ones. Maybe I'll go rent Top Gun at Hollywood Video to get a fix. :)

kool-aid killer
01-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I like the piloting games too. I enjoy Rogue Squadron Rebel Strike, but would have liked piloting more instead of playing the little Luke and Wedge. I know this game isnt a piloting one but i like the new Medal of Honor game. Its very fun being able to play a shooter game alongside one of my brothers.

James Boba Fettfield
01-15-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm not familiar with how much you know about the Star Fox and Pilotwing series, stillakid, so I found these two news links for the game that give an explanation as to what they offer. Star Fox sounds like it might be along the lines of Rogue Leader...and Pilotwings, if it's anything like the past games, is just an all out fun flying game.

Star Fox (http://cube.ign.com/articles/436/436383p1.html) and Pilotwings (http://cube.ign.com/articles/400/400186p1.html)

El Chuxter
01-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Sooooo, did you ever check out Top Gun, and, if so, how did it fare? I see it rather cheap at a lot of stores and was curious if it's worth picking up.

stillakid
01-24-2004, 02:12 AM
Sooooo, did you ever check out Top Gun, and, if so, how did it fare? I see it rather cheap at a lot of stores and was curious if it's worth picking up.

No not yet. I haven't had time to buy it much less play anything lately. Oh to be a kid again with nothin' but time. sigh.

But when I get the chance, I'll get Top Gun and a new-ish game called Burnout 2 (or something like that).

Reefer Shark
01-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Burnout 2 RULES! (At least on the X-Box & PS2, never played it on GC).

I've sunk many hours into this game..........

chrisc
02-20-2004, 10:12 AM
secret weapons over normandy it is WWII aircraft game it is awsome pick it up youll love it made by lucasarts

Lord Malakite
02-20-2004, 10:53 PM
secret weapons over normandy it is WWII aircraft game it is awsome pick it up youll love it made by lucasarts
The X-Wing and TIE Fighter are also in that game. :D

stillakid
12-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Santa brought me Secret Weapons Over Normandy. It's awesome! I recommend it highly for anyone interested in flying good ol' fashioned planes and shooting at Nazis.

On the downside, my Logitech Wingman Attack 2 joystick works okay except that the throttle doesn't do anything. The calibration and setup are fine, but during gameplay...no throttle. Any suggestions? :confused:

darthvyn
01-23-2005, 07:47 PM
i got the top gun game for my brother for x-mas, as a memorial to the original NES top gun that we used to play all the time. it's pretty fun. didn't see any boards where you have to refuel in the air, or land on an aircraft carrier yet, though.

meanwhile, both rogue squadron games rock so much.