PDA

View Full Version : Dollar General???

Silent Chazz
01-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Howdy. I am not sure if Dollar General is the kind of store that is Nationwide. However, It is all over Kansas and Oklahoma. Dollar General is sorta like a Dollar Store, but they have a somewhat better selection towards a lot of things.

It came to my attention about a week ago when I stopped in one in a DG store in the town in Kansas right on the border of Oklahoma/Kansas. I always make a run to the toy aisle hoping that sometime they'd get in some figures from an outlet that I might like. You never know what they'll have because they dont even know what they are getting on the truck (toys usually come at random). However, when I went there about a week ago this past Friday, to my surprise I saw SW Saga 2002 Deluxe Figures. Yoda with Super Battle Drodi and C-3PO with Battle Droid and Assembly Line filled up about two pegs worth. I was SO excited because these were two Deluxe figures hard for me to find and they suddenly appear in a Dollar General store two years later on sale for $2 each. Over the next week or so I ended up with 2 Yodas (one to open, one to keep carded for my wall) and 3 C-3POs (1 to leep carded for my wall and 2 to use the Red Battle Droids for my BD Army in my Diorama Im still working on).

THEN, as I went back to College this past week, I found out that the Dollar General in Guymon, Oklahoma ALSO had 2002 Saga Deluxe figures. This time I got a Obi-Wan Kenobi with Force-Flipping action to keep carded for my wall.

I thought this strange that two towns in two different states would have $2 Saga Deluxe figures at Dollar General. Has anyone else been as lucky as I have been? If so, share your experience here. If not, run to your nearest Dolalr General and HOPEFULLY there'll be some Deluxe Figures.

Kidhuman
01-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Hmmmmm, I have Dollar General all ovcer by me in Virginia. I am gonna have to check em out. Thanks for the heads up. I think its an odd place tofind them but hey, you never know what or where they will turn up.

Turbowars
01-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Nope, no GD's in CA, but it sound it like a store called Big Lots here in Southern CA.

Kidhuman
01-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Its not anything like Big Lots. ALmost like a dollar store except everythings not a dollar. Big Lots has some decent stuff in it, but Dollar General usually has cheap stuff. Once in a while they get stuff like SW, and so on.

sith_killer_99
01-18-2004, 11:44 AM
KB Toys has been blowing out the Deluxe Yoda's and C-3PO's for $4.00 a pop. It's good to hear that these things are making it to other stores. and at $2.00 each no less!

We have a Dollar General around here (Fort Knox), maybe I'll go check 'em out. Thanks. :)

Turbowars
01-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Its not anything like Big Lots. ALmost like a dollar store except everythings not a dollar. Big Lots has some decent stuff in it, but Dollar General usually has cheap stuff. Once in a while they get stuff like SW, and so on.So where your Big Lots once Pic n Save's? BL bought all the PNS around here.

Kidhuman
01-18-2004, 11:53 AM
So where your Big Lots once Pic n Save's? BL bought all the PNS around here.

I dunno. When I moved to Va. I had never heard of Big Lots. When I lived in NYC we had a store long ago called Odd Lot. They went out of business. One of the last things they got in were POTF figures, but i was about 12 and my parents wouldnt buy em, and by the time I had money, they were gone.

Dollar General is kinda like the illegitamate child of a dollar sotre and Big Lots. Guess thats the best way to describe it really

Turbowars
01-18-2004, 12:02 PM
I dunno. When I moved to Va. I had never heard of Big Lots. When I lived in NYC we had a store long ago called Odd Lot. They went out of business. One of the last things they got in were POTF figures, but i was about 12 and my parents wouldnt buy em, and by the time I had money, they were gone.

Dollar General is kinda like the illegitamate child of a dollar sotre and Big Lots. Guess thats the best way to describe it reallyI see LOL. Have any of you heard of Tuesday Morning? They open once a month for a day or 2 and sell tons of crap and sometimes good stuff. One time I scored tons of POTF2 red and Green cards.

Kidhuman
01-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Nope never heard of it. Sounds like a hit and run flea market......lol

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to check the DGs around my area. I have one that is only a 1/2 mile away from my house.

My dad travels some 30 miles (one-way) to work each day and one I accompanied him to work a few summers ago, I stopped at a DG right across the street from his place to business and saw that they had a few Flashback Figures (I recall seeing a Yoda, a Leia, and possibly a Vader). That was a time period before I collected figures, so I didn't get any of them.

The only other Star Wars related stuff I can remember seeing at Dollar General where those inflatable Episode I seats.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-18-2004, 12:51 PM
I see LOL. Have any of you heard of Tuesday Morning? They open once a month for a day or 2 and sell tons of crap and sometimes good stuff. One time I scored tons of POTF2 red and Green cards.
Tuesday Morning, where you're to find a treasure . . . every time you shop. :p
That lady seems to think that Tuesday Morning is the best thing in the history of the world. From the commercials, it gave me the impression that it was really fancy but inexpensive or something like that. Do they still have SW figures?

I went to Big Lots one time, they opened with Hobby Lobby where K-Mart used to be before it went bankrupt (shame too, they used to have some of the best figures). Big Lots seemed to have crappy figures from the knockoff lines and not much else.

Albertson's, however, has a Clone Wars Yoda and a Secret Ceremony Anakin, as well as some of the larger Lego Mini sets. I thought that was odd.

bobafrett
01-18-2004, 02:53 PM
I'll have to investigate this. A friend of mine was supposed to get a management position at a Dollar General store. I know I have one in the town I live in, as well as a dollar tree. They seem to do a pretty good business, but I get lulled into a sleep state, since I find the selection of goods bore me.

Kidhuman
01-18-2004, 05:24 PM
DOllar Tree never gets in any SW toys. I am always in there and look, why I dont know, but hell since iam in there might as well. Dollar Tree is where I get my village for X-mas decorating. At a dollar a piece why not?

Silent Chazz
01-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Update: The Guymon, OK Dollar General that I said only had about 2 Force Flipper Obi-Wans left got in new shipments which include: Obi-Wan Force Flipper, Anakin with Geonosian, and Mace Windu with Battle Droid (Red). Plus, the Kansas Dollar General also got in more Yodas with Supes and C-3POs with Battle Droids. Check your Dollar Generals people. This seems like it ISN'T a one time deal as they both ran out and got MORE in. Just lettin you all know.

tgr3328
01-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Mine had deluxe Obi-Wan (force flipper), Mace, C3PO, and Yoda. Wouldn't it be great if the later deluxe figures like clone trooper, Kamino Jango & Obi-Wan, etc!

Anyone seen any regular figures at Dollar General?

Another potential source of older, discounted Saga figures could be Family Dollar. They used to carry an odd assortment of POTJ figures a while back. So who knows, they may also start carrying Saga figures.

Kidhuman
01-21-2004, 01:59 PM
I for one would love for them to get the clone w/ speeders as I have never seen them at retail. I would buy a ton of em. And the fact that they were so popular and HTF, makes one think that they wont get them.

Stores like this buy stuff from other stores at discounts and re-sell them. All the ones that have showed up were clearanced by Wal-MArt, K-mart and various other retailers.

tgr3328
01-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah. I know I'm just dreaming.

Silent Chazz
01-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Mine had deluxe Obi-Wan (force flipper), Mace, C3PO, and Yoda. Wouldn't it be great if the later deluxe figures like clone trooper, Kamino Jango & Obi-Wan, etc!

Anyone seen any regular figures at Dollar General?

Another potential source of older, discounted Saga figures could be Family Dollar. They used to carry an odd assortment of POTJ figures a while back. So who knows, they may also start carrying Saga figures.

Give them time and this might happen. It amazes me to find these figures 2 years later because I missed out on them the first time (Heck, Threepio and Yoda were really rare and I didnt have the kind of money at the time to buy Mace and Anakins that I did see).

tgr3328
01-21-2004, 04:00 PM
I can see it now! Imperial shuttles and faambas at Dollar General!

Maybe the ill-fated wave 2 of the cantina sets will end up here for $2 each!

BoShek
01-21-2004, 11:25 PM
There are a lot of them in my area, a real lot. They have NBA Legos figures for $1!!!

steeltormentor69
01-23-2004, 04:37 AM
Hey Silent Chazz where about was that Dollar store? I live near Baxter Springs sorta, actually I live in Pittsburg. So I'm not too far, I wonder if any of the $$ stores here in town have and figures.. I'll have to check tomorrow now. Thanks dude!

Gonk 1979
01-23-2004, 02:19 PM
.....got my Clone Trooper w/ Speeder Bike at a dollar store here in TX called "Factory 2 U". They actually had tons of SW stuff for really cheap....

Old Fossil
01-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Checked my local Dollar General here in south Mis'sippi today, and sure enough, found a number of Deluxe C-3PO's and Deluxe Yoda's... at $2 apiece, it's too good a deal to pass on. Thanks Chazz!

Silent Chazz
01-23-2004, 05:47 PM
No Prob. It surprised me when I first found this out.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up Silent Chazz. I would have never thought to look at their toy aisle for Star Wars stuff, after not finding anything there of note for years.

I went to two Dollar Generals yesterday and found the Clone Trooper w/ Speeder Bike, as well as a Force Flipping Anakin that I passed up on before. Plus they had Windu and the Red Battle Droid, FF Obi, Geonosian Warrior and Slashing Anakin. I am going out to a couple more today to see if I can bag another Clone Trooper or maybe even find C-3PO & Yoda. That's a lot better than the cans of Vienna Sausage I usually work out there with. :crazed:

Silent Chazz
01-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Holy cow, you found Clonetroopers With Speeder Bikes? Hopefully the DG nearest to me (the KS one) will get those on their next truck because I missed out on EVERY SINGLE CLONETROOPER that has come out.

Kidhuman
01-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Well, I found the Yoda and 3PO deluxes today but no speeders. LBC, if you would be kind as to pick me I would appreciate it.

tgr3328
01-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Clone Trooper speeder bikes at Dollar General? My prediction came true! I can hardly wait for the Imperial Shuttles to arrive. :D

Don't forget to check the Family Dollar stores in your area as well. It is likely that they will also carry some of the older Saga merchandise.

bobafrett
01-26-2004, 02:40 PM
A quick note of thanks to Silent Chazz for pointing out the figures at Dollar General. I picked up the Yoda with Super Battle Droid, and the C-3PO with battle droid. I passed on the flipping sets, but I also found the metal tin puzzles for $2 each. You know, the ones in the word "Star Wars" shaped tins. I even had enough cash to pick up a soda with my purchases!

DarthQuack
01-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Dollar General eh? Hmmmmm.

-Matt

Silent Chazz
01-27-2004, 01:28 PM
I appreciate all the thanks, guys. I found these by surprise and just had to let everyone know where to get them as some of these were rare back in 2002 (especially Yoda) and they were very cheap. Plus, being the only Panhandle of Oklahoman, I really cant do Just Found types of reports as I'm the only collector out here, hahahaha. So, I gotta pull my weight around here and help you guys out.

tgr3328
01-27-2004, 01:45 PM
I appreciate the heads-ups, too. There is a Dollar General in my town and they had the same items that you found in Oklahoma.

I got curious and looked up Dollar General. You can see a map of there distribution centers here:

http://www.dollargeneral.com/merchandise/distribution.aspx

I live in Texas, so it looks like we will get the same merchandise since we are closest to the same distribution center. LBC, who lives in NY found different items (including the deluxe clone trooper) due to a different distribution center, but maybe our luck will change.

Silent Chazz
01-27-2004, 03:37 PM
I sure hope so because I NEED to find some Clonetroopers. Here I am trying to build dioramas from the Battle of Geonosis and I don't even own a single Clonetrooper (Although this MIGHT change when I get my trip to Amarillo at the end of next week). Whereabouts in Texas do u live tgr? I was born in good ol Texas.

tgr3328
01-27-2004, 03:57 PM
I sure hope so because I NEED to find some Clonetroopers. Here I am trying to build dioramas from the Battle of Geonosis and I don't even own a single Clonetrooper (Although this MIGHT change when I get my trip to Amarillo at the end of next week). Whereabouts in Texas do u live tgr? I was born in good ol Texas.

I live just North of Houston.

That's pretty sad that you have never even seen a clonetrooper! I thought the selections were bad down here, but I managed to even find a few at KB when they were $1.99 each, so I can't complain.

I've never seen the deluxe or three-pack clone troopers in a store, however. I'm thinking of starting a thread asking people to name some of the figures they've never seen. Its one thing to pass on a figure because you're not interested or can't spend the money, but quite another when you never even get a chance to buy it!

Kidhuman
01-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I've never seen a deluxe with speeder anything, let alone the three packs. And I live 2000 miles from you guys. Its not just there, its everywhere

steeltormentor69
01-29-2004, 04:19 AM
I'll have to thank you also silent chazz, I went to the dollar store here in town and sure enough... they had the deluxe C-3PO, deluxe yoda, deluxe anakin with the sliced up geonosian figure, and a few others. I only picked up the ones I mentioned but hey I would never have gotten them if it weren't for you! All for 2 bucks a piece, I saved $24!

Silent Chazz
01-29-2004, 11:07 PM
No problem. Has anyone else found the Deluxe Clonetroopers with Speederbikes? I'm HOPING this puppy hits either DG near me as I NEED a Clonie. Hehehehe.

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 12:10 AM
I have been searching mine in vain for two weeks now for them. They got a truck in today but didnt put anything out yet. SO tomorrow sometime I shall revisit.

Silent Chazz
01-30-2004, 08:19 AM
According to my mother (Yes I still live with the 'rents cuz hey, it's 100% cheaper than living in the dorms at the College lol), the Guymon, OK DG got in Yodas and Threepios (which they didn't get in before), so there is STILL hope for the Alliance.....or something hehehe.

MrMet
01-30-2004, 10:10 PM
I have found these figures at Odd Job Sores in the NJ area. price rings up at 1.99 a piece

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Well, I found the Yoda and 3PO deluxes today but no speeders. LBC, if you would be kind as to pick me I would appreciate it.

I will do that. So far I have only found 1 deluxe Clone w/bike and that was a week ago. I have been to a total of 3 Dollar Generals and that is the only one that I have sighted. There's still one or two DGs I'd like to visit.

And yes, the distribution is probably different as mentioned by tgr. I haven't seen a C-3PO or Yoda yet (not that I need them), but a lot of Force Flipping Obi-Wans, Anakins, as well as Mace Windu, Slashing Anakin and Geonosian with Blaster.

Ric Olie
01-31-2004, 03:05 PM
The Deluxe Saga toys at Dollar General has been the nicest surprise for me in a long time. In East Texas where I'm from there's a DG in every single town. Everyone I've checked has had the toys for $2.00. I picked up Yoda, C-3PO and the Anakin with the Geonosian. I've also seen the Deluxe Geonosian and the flipping Anakin in Burke's Outlet another dollor type store in my area. The only Deluxe Saga toy I've yet too seen in any of the dollor stores is the Clone Trooper with Speedbike which is the one I want the most.

britt1
01-31-2004, 11:40 PM
I live in Central TX and found the Deluxe Mace, Yoda, & C3PO at Dollar General a couple of weeks ago. Our KB is going out of business but they dont have much. Star Wars toys are very slim around here :( Would love to find some Clone Troopers, they are hard to come by as well!

fishyfett
02-01-2004, 02:52 PM
I see LOL. Have any of you heard of Tuesday Morning? They open once a month for a day or 2 and sell tons of crap and sometimes good stuff. One time I scored tons of POTF2 red and Green cards.
You're kiddin' me. LOL!!! Are you serious, Turb?? Tuesday Morning?? Man, now that brings back memories. I used to take my mom there to shop for antiques vases and candle holders. Didn't even think they'd be carrying star wars stuff. Guess I go check it out. Is the store open only on Tuesday mornings like they used to??? LOL..........

Turbowars
02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
You're kiddin' me. LOL!!! Are you serious, Turb?? Tuesday Morning?? Man, now that brings back memories. I used to take my mom there to shop for antiques vases and candle holders. Didn't even think they'd be carrying star wars stuff. Guess I go check it out. Is the store open only on Tuesday mornings like they used to??? LOL..........LOL, yeah I'm serious. I don't remember when they opened, but like you, I went with my mom also. This was a while back though. I remember ladies lining up to get those little Limoges boxes. They had lots of Tri-logos and crap. I don't know if the store is even open now.

Indysolo007
02-01-2004, 08:12 PM
In Southeastern PA most of the Dollar Generals I've been to have both the Speeder Bike Clone Trooper and Flying Geonosian. I actually picked up an extra Clone Trooper and willing to trade for other figures. Email me if interested.

BoShek
02-01-2004, 09:35 PM
I went to one today and they did not have Star Wars.

tgr3328
02-02-2004, 10:19 AM
LOL, yeah I'm serious. I don't remember when they opened, but like you, I went with my mom also. This was a while back though. I remember ladies lining up to get those little Limoges boxes. They had lots of Tri-logos and crap. I don't know if the store is even open now.

It looks like these store specialize in better quality, discontinued home furnishings, kitchen, bath, etc. I think the idea is they are closed for several weeks to restock, then they open on Tuesday morning. They are closed now but will be open Feb 3 - Mar 29. You can check their schedule at www.tuesdaymorning.com. There are two in my area and I will try to go just for the possibility of finding Star Wars.

dark-side
02-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Someone mentions fambaas - you never know what will turn up.

Here in my town we had a FAO discount store open in 2001 and in 2002 - just for Christmas. Of course they didn't do it this year because of the financial issues they have - I assume.

Anyway you would not believe how many Fambaas they had! Stacks and stacks of them. They started at around $40 but in the end they sold them for $12 each. People were buying carts full of Fambaas.

I ended up only getting one, I should have created a Fambaa army!

Anyway not to get too far off topic, I'm still waiting for our DG's to get soem figures in.

underdog25
02-04-2004, 10:22 PM
I lived in KS for almost 3 years from 1997 to 2000. I got quite a few of my orange carded and FF carded figures at DG stores out there. It was only a matter of time till they start selling at Big Lots too, LOL! As far as figures I haven't seen it would be the clonetrooper with speeder bike. I did pass up the clonetrooper 3 pack but it was because I had to chose between it and the jedi 3 pack. I'll be checking my local dollar store tomorrow.

Silent Chazz
02-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Just a little heads up folks. For those of you who do not have a DG in your town or your DG doesn't have any Saga Deluxe figures, there is hope. I went to Amarillo yesterday and checked out their KayBee Toys in hopes of finding some clonetroopers (at that time I didnt even own a single Clonie). They had $2 Deluxe Yodas and Deluxe C-3POs. So, this means if your local KayBee Toys is NOT about to close down (as is the case with Amarillo's KB) you MIGHT be able to find these $2 Saga Deluxe figures.

bobafrett
02-08-2004, 05:07 PM
I stopped at 2 different Dollar Generals today, but found no clonetroopers. They did have a lot of slashing Anakins, and the flipping Anakin and Dooku.

tgr3328
02-13-2004, 09:55 AM
The only deluxe Saga figures that I used to see in abundance were the force-flippers, the 1st Jango, Mace, and the nexxu (somewhat). The others were rather rare. It bothers me that I have seen more of these rare figures in one second-run discount store than I ever saw in the places where you expect to find them-Walmart, Target, TRU, and KB. Apparently, they were just sitting in a warehouse until Dollar General bought them up.

But at least they are there now and we might even see other figures at discounted prices. This would be especially good if they are figures we never found at the regular stores.

Kidhuman
02-13-2004, 12:26 PM
I havent seen any new Deluxes at my DG in two weeks, since I bought the last 3PO for my stepson. I was hoping tofind some of the clonetroopers w/speeder, but they never got em. Thankfully, LBC hooked me up.

tgr3328
02-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Mine has been getting in more, but it is the same selection as before. I am hoping for something interesting to turn up. Even the force-flippers, which I didn't buy when they were $9.99 at Walmart, are not bad for $2.

darthzirock
02-13-2004, 04:39 PM
I've only seen the Deluxe 3PO & Yoda in the Dollar Generals in my area (western NC). I had already picked up a few of these when they hit KB Toys just before Xmas ... I have a friend that's a manager at a KB, so he gave me his employee discount, making them like $3 apiece. DG is getting $2 for them, so I don't feel too bad about the extra buck I ended up spending. No other Deluxes hitting DG stores in my area, like the under-distributed Geonosian with Sonic Blaster.

silentsteel70
02-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Just came back from my local DG store and found two deluxe packs that i've been looking for, One of Anakin w/ Lightsaber slashing action and a Mace W/ blast apart Battle Droid. Both for $2.00 each, any place else you pay up to $9.99 for. Going back on thursday when the new delivery comes in, PM if you looking for something inparticular, I' ll take a look and pick it up for you.:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-06-2004, 11:52 PM
I went back to a Dollar General last week, one which had about 10 or so various Deluxe Figures hanging around for a month, and they were all mysteriously gone. Either bought up or shipped back. I searched the whole store thinking that they were moved, but I looked through pretty much every nook and cranny and couldn't find any sign of them.

Ric Olie
03-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Most of my local Dollar General hardy have any left. Just 3 or 4 pack usually of the same character, Mace or Anakin. I hope the get another shipment in of different deluxe characters or that DG starts carrying basic figures.

EDIT: Grammer and spelling.

Kidhuman
03-07-2004, 01:17 PM
They are carrying basic figures too now?

Ric Olie
03-07-2004, 01:35 PM
They are carrying basic figures too now?
I've made a speeling error. What I'm saying is that I hope Dollar General starts carrying basic figures. Since they've sold nearly all the deluxe figures they had they may want to sell more Star Wars products.

Kidhuman
03-07-2004, 01:49 PM
I've made a speeling error. What I'm saying is that I hope Dollar General starts carrying basic figures. Since they've sold nearly all the deluxe figures they had they may want to sell more Star Wars products.

Its not really upto them what they order. The company buys merchandise at close out prices from stores that have gone out of business, or companies that have stuff just laying around. Hmmmm, since Hasbro has Kitik's sitting around, wouldnt it be nice if they bough em up?

silentsteel70
03-07-2004, 02:06 PM
I haven't seen any basic figures in the DG stores in this part of Kansas yet. I talked to a clerk in one of the stores, and she said the next shipment was on last thursday, but when I checked nothing had came in. We can only hope that DG will carry the basic figures, but I think the bigger stores like WM or TRU will carry the basic figures and DG will carry the overflow the other stores don't want because of the quantities, like the deluxe items.

Always know what the others are doing.

Kidhuman
04-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Was at Dollar General today and they had the AOTC 100 piece jigsaw puzzels for a buck there. SCored the Obi, Jango/Boba and Anakin. They alsohad Padme.

Silent Chazz
04-06-2004, 08:30 PM
I myself have the Jango and Padme Puzzels.