PDA

View Full Version : Does Howie Weed still work for ILM ?

2-1B
01-18-2004, 09:41 PM
I'll be much obliged to anyone who might know . . . thanks. :)

(he did the Wampa for the ESB Special Edition and I'm not sure how long he worked for ILM before and after that)

stillakid
01-19-2004, 10:32 AM
I'll be much obliged to anyone who might know . . . thanks. :)

(he did the Wampa for the ESB Special Edition and I'm not sure how long he worked for ILM before and after that)

I did a quick search at IMDB and came up with this:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0917236

From the looks of it, he's got a nice long term career going with the company, so he's most likely still there unless he's retired or something. But I'm guessing that he's knee-deep in Episode 3 post. It's a friendly crowd up there. You could probably call the office and at the very least leave a message. He'd probably even return the call! :)

Filmography as: Visual Effects, Special Effects, Miscellaneous Crew, Art Department, Actor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visual Effects - filmography
(2000s) (1990s) (1980s)

Minority Report (2002) (digital modeler: ILM) (as Howie Weed)
Time Machine, The (2002) (lead digital modeler: ILM) (as Howie Weed)
Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001) (digital model development: ILM) (as Howie Weed)
... aka A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) (USA: poster title)

Men in Black (1997) (model maker: saucer crash miniature and blue screen unit) (as Howie Weed)
... aka MIB (1997) (USA: promotional abbreviation)
Lost World: Jurassic Park, The (1997) (digital effects artist)
Star Trek: Generations (1994) (model maker: ILM)
... aka Star Trek 7 (1994) (USA: informal alternative title)

Ghostbusters II (1989) (character performer: ILM) (as Howie Weed)
... aka Ghostbusters 2 (1989) (USA: video box title)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Filmography as: Visual Effects, Special Effects, Miscellaneous Crew, Art Department, Actor

Special Effects - filmography
(1990s) (1980s)

Naked Lunch (1991) (animatronics technician)

Enemy Mine (1985) (special effects)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (chief creature maker: special edition) (as Howie Weed)
... aka Empire Strikes Back, The (1980) (USA: short title)
... aka Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (1997) (USA: video box title)

Miscellaneous Crew - filmography

Fly, The (1986) (creature effects: C.W.I.)
Gremlins (1984) (creature crew)
Smarkus and Company (1982) (TV) (production assistant)

Art Department - filmography

Witches of Eastwick, The (1987) (creature construction)
Gremlins (1984) (model maker)

Actor - filmography
(1980s) (1970s)

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (uncredited) .... Wampa (special edition)
... aka Empire Strikes Back, The (1980) (USA: short title)
... aka Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (1997) (USA: video box title)

Star Wars (1977) (uncredited) .... Ketwol/Melas
... aka Star Wars IV: A New Hope (1997) (USA: video box title)
... aka Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1981) (USA: reissue title (new title))

2-1B
01-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Silly me, I wasn't even thinking IMDb because I forgot they track production members as well. Duh. :D

Thanks stillakid, you rock ! lol

2-1B
01-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, in case you were wondering why I asked:
I want to send him my Insider cover of him as the Wampa (issue 33) but the autograph website I belong to does not have any recent info so I didn't know if he is still with ILM . . . :)

stillakid
01-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Oh yeah, in case you were wondering why I asked:
I want to send him my Insider cover of him as the Wampa (issue 33) but the autograph website I belong to does not have any recent info so I didn't know if he is still with ILM . . . :)

Yeah, seriously, I would call ILM. At worst, you'll be fed to the PR people and they'll trap you into an official blackhole. At best, your request will get to him and he'll call you back.

stillakid
01-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Silly me, I wasn't even thinking IMDb because I forgot they track production members as well. Duh. :D

Thanks stillakid, you rock ! lol

I wish I did. Have you seen the chicks those guys wind up with! :sur:

As far as IMDB, it's one of the few public places I can see my own credits. :greedy:

derek
01-19-2004, 10:26 PM
I wish I did. Have you seen the chicks those guys wind up with! :sur:

As far as IMDB, it's one of the few public places I can see my own credits. :greedy:

would rollerball be one of those? :D

seriously, what films have you worked on?

stillakid
01-19-2004, 11:11 PM
would rollerball be one of those? :D

seriously, what films have you worked on?

Sorry, no. ;) Hey, I still like it no matter what everyone says. That Shelby is enough eye candy for me! :cool:

I've got a few films for my memoirs. After I leave the biz, I'll let you know where to pick up the book. ;)

2-1B
01-20-2004, 02:44 AM
stillakid, I just looked you up again and there are some titles I've been meaning to ask you about.

I have a few general queries regarding IMDb:

1) who submits this information? When I first learned of the site several years ago, I guess I just assumed it was pieced together by movie fans or something like that (if you've ever browsed their message boards, you know what I'm getting at here. :D )

2) building on my first question, is it true that directors, casting agents, etc. actually use this site for reference? I mean, there's a link to "add contact/agent" so it sounds more legit to me.

3) what about IMDb Pro ? From what I know, it sounds like the more professional version with production company addresses and such. It requires a subscription.

Moving on . . . as for the production guys getting the girls, hey it goes both ways ! :D
Didn't Gore Verbinski's assistant just get engaged to James Gandolfini ? :crazed:

stillakid
01-20-2004, 08:33 AM
stillakid, I just looked you up again and there are some titles I've been meaning to ask you about.

I have a few general queries regarding IMDb:

1) who submits this information? When I first learned of the site several years ago, I guess I just assumed it was pieced together by movie fans or something like that (if you've ever browsed their message boards, you know what I'm getting at here. :D )

2) building on my first question, is it true that directors, casting agents, etc. actually use this site for reference? I mean, there's a link to "add contact/agent" so it sounds more legit to me.

3) what about IMDb Pro ? From what I know, it sounds like the more professional version with production company addresses and such. It requires a subscription.

Moving on . . . as for the production guys getting the girls, hey it goes both ways ! :D
Didn't Gore Verbinski's assistant just get engaged to James Gandolfini ? :crazed:

Uh, let's see,

1) I think that it's primarily "fans" who submit, although individual users can update the information. I did that but they still managed to make some mistakes. I'm not sure who's running the thing, but it is a Byzantine update system, so making the effort for 100% accuracy isn't worth the time. Which brings us to...

2) I don't know. I think to some degree it gets used by those dealing with "acting" types. Face it, "fans" gravitate toward that part of the industry (actors, directors) so those aspects of the sight will most likely be up to date. But most agents wouldn't need it anyway because the headshots they get also include a resume of sorts on the back.

3) Again, I don't know. I haven't subscribed myself, though I know someone who has. I'll ask them what the benefits are and get back to you. :)

As far as who gets the girls, even crew guys get to be Star-F*****s every once in a while. Danny Moder was a Camera Assistant when he hooked up with Julia Roberts. But then again, she had a history of makin' whoopie with the rank and file. :beard:

2-1B
01-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Two words: Lyle Lovett :D

thanks for the info. :)