PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Mystery Project Revealed

Lord Malakite
01-21-2004, 01:13 PM
For months Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has been offering Japanese newspapers vague comments about new mystery hardware that the company would launch in 2004. Nintendo of America today pulled back the curtains on the top-secret device and it looks to be good news for Nintendo fans worldwide.

The company's mystery machine is in fact a dual-screened portable game device that is entirely separate from both the GameCube and the Game Boy Advance. It will be marketed completely free of its sister hardware. It's called Nintendo DS for Nintendo Dual-Screen. Nintendo DS features two connected 3-inch backlit TFT LCD display panels -- one on top of the other, according to a Reuters report -- and two separate processors. The device features an Arm9 main processor and an Arm7 sub processor.

The portable will not use GameCube optical disc or Game Boy Advance cartridge based media. Instead, it will play software on semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit, according to the manufacturer.

Nintendo explains the importance of the dual-screen setup: "Players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen.

"Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of the environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other."

Today's revelation is just the beginning, according to the company. The bulk of information on the machine will be unveiled at May's Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century," explained Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president.

"We're not trying to take on PSP, because this machine will be completely different than anything that exists right now," said Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa.

The announcement, seemingly out of nowhere, likely comes in preparation for Nintendo's upcoming financial report. Also, developers have indicated that they will soon receive development hardware for the new system and with that Nintendo wouldn't be able to keep it a secret for very much longer.

The Nintendo DS will be on-hand at E3 2004 in fully playable form, according to the company. It will ship in the last half of 2004.

James Boba Fettfield
01-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Well, that does not sound very exciting at all. I was hoping for something bigger after all the speculation behind the mystery project. For some reason I am thinking of Virtual Boy right now. Maybe I will be wrong, though.

Kidhuman
01-21-2004, 01:30 PM
I have given up on NIntendo a long time ago. IMO PS2 is the best system out there and am heavily waiting for PS3.

CooLJoE
01-22-2004, 07:54 AM
"We're not trying to take on PSP, because this machine will be completely different than anything that exists right now," said Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa.

Nintendo is dead.

Sorry, but PSP's specs are going to blow away the GBA and this DS thing. Nintendo's only hope was to put out a GBA successor that used something like mini-discs and utilized as much 3D graphics as possible along with a nice LCD screen.

I agree. DS seems like another Virtual Boy.

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Man, someone rename this thread PS fanboys bash Nintendo. :)

plasticfetish
01-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Nintendo is dead.
Yeah, I dunno about that...

Again, why must everything relating to game systems be treated like a boxing match. If Nintendo does well, and Sony does well, and Microsoft does well, and maybe even another future choice comes along and does well, then WE all do well. Choice is good! "My videogame system will kick your videogame system's butt!" Geez that's nerdy.

---

Annnnyway, this new thing sounds interesting. Will have to wait and see what it looks like. Some cool possibilities with the split screen... multiple view points, etc. Smart of them not to try and duplicate the PSP and to go for something different, but that's what Nintendo does best.

JediTricks
01-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Well, that does not sound very exciting at all. I was hoping for something bigger after all the speculation behind the mystery project. For some reason I am thinking of Virtual Boy right now. Maybe I will be wrong, though.
YES! That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the article.

Lord Malakite
01-23-2004, 09:48 AM
I think the potential is there. The possibilities for the DS will prove to be interesting, especially when it comes to sports and RPG type games. I will reserve my final judgment though until I actually see it in action.

CooLJoE
01-25-2004, 07:30 PM
James - Too bad I don't own a Playstation or sony console at all. Infact the only game consoles I have are the GameBoy Advance and GameCube. I was fully looking forward to a good 3D-capable portable to fight the PSP and keep the portable crown for Nintendo.

I think the Nintendo fanboys need to calm down and stop crying about the first insult that is thrown at their precious console creator. Its just a gaming machine....not the holy grail.

Plasticfetish - Well, unfortunately the scene revolves around competition. And seeing that Nintendo has held the portable market for YEARS, the PSP's introduction to the scene is so far spelling "winner" for Sony. Like I said, I was hoping Nintendo had a better portable on the way.

-Durge-
01-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Hmm, I will wait and see the product first.

Then there is always another Zelda in the works...

James Boba Fettfield
05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
After seeing a lot of their stuff for this DS thing from Nintendo's Pre-E3 conference, I think I may have to give this a shot.