PDA

View Full Version : The GIJoe Thread, take 2

El Chuxter
01-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Okay, since the one I started yesterday got fried and is now deader than Quick-Kick, I'm starting a new thread to discuss the Joe comics: Marvel, Devil's Due, and the Reborn line.

Both GIJoe #26 and Cobra Reborn (the first one-shot in the "Ultimate" style alternate continuity) hit shelves today. From the little I've seen of them, they look pretty wicked. I posted links to some info on them yesterday, and I'll try to track 'em down again.

Here's a question I thought of after the original thread got lost: the new series kept the fact that Mindbender is a clone. But there are no Transformers, since Devil's Due doesn't have those rights. So, uh, how do they explain that?

Eternal Padawan
01-21-2004, 07:26 PM
GiJoe 26. Jerwa's 1st issue. He had to do the whole obligatory "New Writer. Let's recap and catch up the new readers" thing.

I totally didn't see Cobra Reborn on the rack. Now I'll have to hunt it down. i hope they aren't sold out.

I also picked up TF/GIJoe 5. haven't read it yet, but this series is wayyyyy better than the DevilsDue version.

Since Snake-Eyes is a member of GiJoe and GiJoe has had intermittent contact with Transformers, and the Transformers (Gears mostly) have hung out with Spider-Man, and Spider-Man and the rest of the Marvel universe have from time to time crossed paths with the Dc Universe, and Batman has done a one shot with Spawn. Why oh why can't Snake-Eyes lay on a can of smack down on that tool of an undead anti-hero?

Remember kids. Snake Eyes. Cool. Spawn. Lame-o.

thespar
01-22-2004, 08:28 AM
I dont know if i am going to fellow the new reborn series. I guess image comics did not what to have their flag ship chacter get his butt kicked.

jjreason
01-22-2004, 12:29 PM
I'll buy it if I see it, but I'm not driving 2 hrs. to get a copy. The plot synopsis seemed fine, but I haven't peeped the art anywhere. Still need to fill in the few issues I missed of the regular series (Serpentor arc).

In unrelated news, I'm not loved at my store. I've spent over a grand there so far, and they don't even know my name. I bought comics there less than 2 weeks ago and explained to the lackey that I'd be in in 2 weeks to clean up my file - they called yesterday saying they hadn't seen me in a month and that I needed to come in to clear some up. Jackasses.

El Chuxter
01-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Either Cobra Reborn was delayed or I read the ship date wrong. :eek: I asked the dude who runs my shop and told him he was breakin' my heart when he said it would be next week.

I don't give a rat's you-know-what about Ultimate Marvel characters, but Ultimate TF and Joe I can't pass on. (Dreamwave's is the "Ultimate" TF. Marvel's version is still canon.)

Jerwa did a much better job than I'd anticipated. Nice art throughout, and decent fill-in. Hopefully we'll see more "downtime" and character development than we did during Blaylock's run. Either this Scanner dude will be huge in his stories or fade away next issue. We'll see about him.

So, just for trivia fun, who can name all the crossovers between Transformers and GIJoe during Marvel's run, as well as crossovers between either with the 616 Marvel Universe, as JJB refers to it? ;)

Eternal Padawan
01-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Well, most of the "616" crossovers happened in the original 4 issue limited series. The most obvious being Spidey's duet with Gears in issue 3. But Nick Fury also showed up for a panel or two dismissing the "giant robot threat" in the pacific NW as hokum. Dazzler got some radio play. The Dinobots and Shockwave crashlanded in the Savage Land.

Unconfirmed reports of Circuit Breaker showing up during the Secret Wars and JJJameson popping up in later issues of GIJoe have not been confirmed.

There's such a complex backstory between Snake-Eyes, Cobra Commander, Stormshadow, Zartan etc in the current canon, i wonder how they'll strip all that down in the Reloaded series (ugh. what a lameass name...)

thespar
01-23-2004, 10:49 PM
How do we know if they are even going to use the whole cc, storm shadow, snake eyes and zartan.

jjreason
01-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Well Crikey. I love Ninjas as much as the next heavy metal fan, but why in the hell did everyone have to be a Ninja or ninja trained in the old continuity??? Firefly just wouldn't have been badass enough if he was determined to be Russian ex member of Spetznaz? Come on. There's only so many wicked "flying V" style guitars to go around. Too many ninjas = too little time for each to wail.

And besides, the old continuity is ninja-hokey for another reason: with 6 or 7 Ninjas rocking the house (lets count: Snake Eyes, Billy, Jinx, Firefly, Zartan - not really, but he mimicked one?????, Storm Shadow, the Cobra Ninjas....) no civilians could POSSIBLY be left alive in the entire midwestern US let alone the town of Springfield. They'd all be sliced and diced or skewered by throwing stars by now. Ninjas aren't a frigging dime a dozen.

Im ready for a fresh kick at the can. I hope they use a fairly small, tight group of characters, and that they make it at least a little more like the first batch of 80's Joes. This has all the potential in the world to rock, and even more to suck.

El Chuxter
01-26-2004, 01:35 PM
You got most of those, EP. A few others I had in mind:

The GIJoe/Transformers comic series and later crossover by Larry "I write Joes better than anyone, but don't have the hang of giant alien robots" Hama (with follow-up early issues of TF Gen 2) definitely cemented those two together.

A Wolverine tank appears in TF #4, not standard military issue, methinks.

As Stalker says the line in my sig, Snake Eyes is walking past a wall in NYC with the graffiti, "Decepticons rule!" or something like that (from the godawful debut of the Battlechargers).

The NeoKnights were clearly mutants.

Death's Head hung out with the TF's in the British series for quite some time.

I can't confirm Circuit Breaker in Secret Wars, but JJJ appears in chapter three of the Snake Eyes Trilogy. Stalker, undercover in a newstand, informs him that "We don't sell that trash rag," referring to the Daily Bugle.

Eternal Padawan
01-29-2004, 10:07 AM
I got Cobra Reborn yesterday. Fairly straightforward introduction to all the main villains. Not a whole lot of "Ultimizing" of anyone. The story did make Cobra Commander a little more sympathetic, with his fight with the government and his wife running off with her lawyer. They should have him kick a dog or two, just to be on the safe side. They were kind of hit and miss on the recruiting side, too. Stormshadow? The twins? Baroness? Maybe I read it too fast but they all seemed to be on board from the start. Maybe theres a back story in there and it will all make sense a few issues down the road.

looking forward to the GIJoe Reborn. Then we'll see if the regular series is worth it. It will also be hard to keep up with both series. Cash is becoming a problem...

El Chuxter
01-29-2004, 10:11 PM
[Lapes into old-school block-style ninja rant.]

Duuuuuuuuude!! Cobra Reborn was so cool that I had to run out in the street and pay this homeless dude to punch me. Then I had to tell this street musician to wail on guitar every time the guy kicked me, and it still wasn't half as cool as Cobra Reborn!

[We now return to normal.]

Very nice issue overall. The art was top-notch throughout, and the writing definitely had more edge to it than is typical of the "canon" Joe continuity. (Devil's Due, though, could use a copy editor. More misspellings than I could shake a spike-knuckled trench knife at.)

Baroness wasn't really on board at first; she came along with Destro. Hopefully we'll get some background on Storm Shadow and the Crimson Twins' ties to Cobra Commander. The Toyfare prequel was a bit odd (Snake Eyes in prison in Eastern Europe) and verrrrry briefly touches on Stom Shadow finding money, power, and honor in Cobra, but it's not enough for me to quite see this fanatical devotion.

Despite seeing Destro's mug in his first panel and Cobra Commander rattling off his origin at every possible chance, it wasn't hard to get into. I actually didn't miss the Joes, and the "stripped-down" Firefly (meaning that he isn't Duke's second cousin who joined the Arishikage clan and can erase his face like his college roommate Snake Eyes did once when they ran into the Balloon Bear selling lemonade, yadda yadda yadda) was a refreshing change. And was that a Dreadnok I saw hanging out at Cobra HQ?

But I have to agree that Cobra Commander was a bit too sympathetic. I almost found myself wanting to join him. :sur:

Looking forward to GIJoe Reborn, and the upcoming Reloaded series. If it can hold its momentum, it should be cooler than grape soda and chocolate donuts! :cheeky:

Sentinel18725
01-30-2004, 01:53 AM
I was very skeptical at first...but I LOVED IT!!!! I completely agree with the fact that Cobra Commander was more of a sympathetic character.....but you could see how he would become disillusioned with everything after everything that had happened to him. When you are a little unbalanced....it would make you think the way he does. Now, I really liked the active recruiting of Cobra Commander, even into my two towns I call home...Chicago AND St. Louis. Great! I also enjoyedthe concepts of the "silent" partners in Congress and the organization of various terrorist activities throughout the US. It was a little over the top, I believed, to have the ATM thingy and the TV thingy with Cobras all over the place. Great! I just hope the rest of the story line continues like this....

It has been quite a while since I have been excited to go to the comic book store...but now I am in full swing. The new Punisher line is great....resurgance of GI Joe.....even the throwback to the old figures in the new releases....(trooper builder pack, new Cobra Commander) Keep it up guys!

JON9000
02-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Well Crikey. I love Ninjas as much as the next heavy metal fan, but why in the hell did everyone have to be a Ninja or ninja trained in the old continuity??? Firefly just wouldn't have been badass enough if he was determined to be Russian ex member of Spetznaz? Come on. There's only so many wicked "flying V" style guitars to go around. Too many ninjas = too little time for each to wail.

And besides, the old continuity is ninja-hokey for another reason: with 6 or 7 Ninjas rocking the house (lets count: Snake Eyes, Billy, Jinx, Firefly, Zartan - not really, but he mimicked one?????, Storm Shadow, the Cobra Ninjas....) no civilians could POSSIBLY be left alive in the entire midwestern US let alone the town of Springfield. They'd all be sliced and diced or skewered by throwing stars by now. Ninjas aren't a frigging dime a dozen.

If you like ninjas, you have to check out the best ninja site out there. It's rad!

http://www.realultimatepower.net/

jjreason
02-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Hehehehe...... that site was the inspiration for my post!!! :cool:

jjreason
02-08-2004, 12:35 AM
So I checked out Cobra: Reborn #1, and liked the issue very much. They did something very well here: they've given Cobra a much more clearly defined "reason for being", one that almost makes sense. Nice into to Cobra Commander, Destro, Bludd, Zartan, Firefly, and Storm Shadow - but how the heck did the Baroness fit into things? She just turns up without fanfare or explanation??? That will have to be explored. I don't really see any major departure from what's come before. This could very easily act as a "Cobra: Year One" story from the original continuity, based on my limited knowledge. I liked the book, and I'm excited about the Joe team's relaunch.

Did anyone else take extra care gazing at John Ney Rieber's rendition of Snake Eyes on the inside of the back cover???? Hold on to your seats, that art looks incredible.

On a semi-related note, I was browsing ebay for cheap figures, and came across a fellow selling off some older Joes at low starting bids. Well, I threw my name in for Ripcord, at a whopping 2 bucks. Low and behold, I win him for 1.50! Great news right? Wrong. Check out the final cost to me:

Figure: 1.50
Shipping (according to seller :rolleyes: ) 4.00
Exchange Rate takes 5.50 to 7.78 CDN
Now add 4.60 for money order fees and tax
--------------------------------------------

$12.38.

$12.38 for a figure who closed at $1.50. I'm almost ready to give up on ebay entirely, this is the most sour experience I've had on there for months. :cry:

El Chuxter
02-23-2004, 01:15 PM
www.yojoe.com (http://yojoe.com/magazine/04/ddpmay.shtml)'s got the May solicitations from Devil's Due online.

A stand-alone 3-part Snake Eyes miniseries that bridges the gap between Frontline #4 and GIJoe Vol. 2 #1, and covers the origin of Kamakura to boot? CRIKEY! I think I soiled myself. This is totally gonna wail on a thousand guitars!!