PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Old School Nintendo Game (merged)

CaptainSolo1138
01-22-2004, 02:06 PM
I still can't live without my old Nintendo! I play it all the time. I know I'm not the only one. What is/was your favorite game? I have to go with Tetris or the Castlevania series.

El Chuxter
01-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Kung Fu remains, to this day, one of the most entertaining video games ever made.

I also loved Bionic Commando, Metroid, Contra, and the first two Super Mario Bros games. And the graphics were unbeatable (by NES standards) on Silver Surfer, Batman: Return of the Joker, and Life Force.

Castlevania is awesome, but I think Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the PS is the best of that series.

BTW, this would probably be better off in the Video Games section. :)

CaptainSolo1138
01-22-2004, 02:20 PM
With some advice (thanks Chuxter) I've moved this here. So what is/was it? I'm saying Tetris and Castlevania III.

billfremore
01-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Blades of Steel.
I still have callouses on my hands from playing multiple 7 game series with my friends.

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Dragon Warrior

Back when RPGs were about gameplay, not 30 minute cinematics every hour explaining the story.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-22-2004, 04:51 PM
My older sister got this for Christmas a loooooooooong time ago but I still play it once in a while. My list:
*Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3
*Duck Hunt
*Tetris
*Paperboy (gets old after a while though)
*Bart Simpson vs. The World

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3
Duck Hunt
Ghoul School
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-22-2004, 10:12 PM
The Legend of Zelda was revolutionary for its time. It was an epic story that involved magic, monsters, and princesses. I can't ever remember saving your progress until I played that game. It took me weeks (I think I was all of 8 years old) but beating that game was probably my greatest accomplishment in life up to that point.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was another favorite of mine. Even though I would always get clobbered by Mike and never beat the game, I had a lot of fun fighting boxers like Soda Popinski, The Bald Bull, and King Hippo. Those where the glory days of Iron Mike, where one punch was lethal, pre-flesh chomping days.

Silent Chazz
01-22-2004, 10:31 PM
TMNT3: The Manhattan Project is my alltime favorite NES game. My second favorite is Super Mario Bros. 3.

JediTricks
01-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Monopoly is probably my favorite now, still play it once in a while. All the SMB games were pretty awesome, I really liked Pinball and the unrelated Pinball Quest, and Zelda 1 (not 2 though ;)).

Kidhuman
01-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Excitebike was awesome.

Bionic COmmando
Strider
Contra
Super Mario 3
Legend of Zelda
Blades of Steel
Major League Baseball
Tecmo Superbowl(Bo Jackson was invincable)

Lord Malakite
01-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Zelda 1 (not 2 though ;)).

Zelda II is one of those games that you'll either completely hate it or like it. Rarely is anyone in the middle on that one. Personally, that is one of my favorites.

My list of favorites can go on for a mile though. So I will shorten it to a series if I can.

Zelda (I & II)
Super Mario Bros. (1, 2, & 3)
Punch-Out/Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (both are basically the same)
Kid Icarus
Metroid
Super Dodge Ball
Metal Gear
Deadly Towers
Dragon Warrior
Rygar
Baseball Stars
TMNT (II & III)
Castlevania (I, II, & III)
Ice Hockey
Battle of Olympus
Jackal

Kidhuman
01-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Cant believe I forgot Kid Icarus and Metroid

kool-aid killer
01-23-2004, 10:40 AM
I liked the Ninja Turtles games, Contra, the Mario games, Super Dodgeball, and my Empire Strikes Back video game too. I would like to see an updated Super Dodgeball, but i remember someone said something about the company going belly up and i wonder how well it would be recieved by todays gamers.

CaptainSolo1138
01-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Another game of (near) infinite fun was 1943. That game alsogets my vote for lamest ending. Ohhhh, that sounds like another thread.......

Capitan_Moroni
01-24-2004, 06:20 PM
I always loved Bubble Bobble. I used to play that game for hours on end! Others on my top favorite list are Duck Tales, Pirates, the track game, Dick Tracey, and Wheres Waldo?

Does anybody remember a game called Legacy of the Wizard? I had that game forever, but I could never beat it. It just seemed like a huge maze to me and I could never figure out how to use those pictures of the little girl. :confused:

jjreason
01-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Super Spike Volleyball, Final Fantasy, Tecmo Bowl, Blades of Steel, Ghosts and Goblins, Super Mario Bros. 3. Great system, I still browse ebay for a nice toaster style NES. They go for a fortune still. Anyone got a cheap source?

plasticfetish
01-25-2004, 02:28 AM
Bart Simpson vs. The World
Ooh. The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants is something that I've played tons of.

I admit, I missed the whole NES thing. I moved from Atari 800 to being a troubled teen to college guy majoring in Lucky Lager to owning a PS One. Somewhere along the way my wife (then g-friend) brought her NES over with that Simpsons cart. I played and played forever... but was so sick of having to start at the beginning every time that I shoved it in a drawer. A few years ago, I found a toploader NES at the thrift, and stuck that cart in it. It's still a fun game, but I'll never get to the end. I've got Dyno Warz also, that's fun.

Someone actually gave me Zelda for X-Mas. I'd said that I've never played it, but now I must!

Lord Malakite
01-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Ooh. The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants is something that I've played tons of.

Somewhere along the way my wife (then g-friend) brought her NES over with that Simpsons cart. I played and played forever... but was so sick of having to start at the beginning every time that I shoved it in a drawer. A few years ago, I found a toploader NES at the thrift, and stuck that cart in it. It's still a fun game, but I'll never get to the end.

With a good deal of practice and patience, you should be able to do it eventually. How far have you ever gotten? Perhaps I could help with some pointers. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-25-2004, 12:13 PM
The most disappointing part of owning a NES was the maintenance that was required. As a young kid, I wasn't too meticulous about keeping it away from dust. I only knew that you had to put the black covers on the bottom (and I often didn't).

As a result, our family must have bought 4 systems over the years with each of them ending up being discarded for the same reason, not properly cleaned. Nintendo actually put a product that cleaned the games, but that did little good.

I still have kept all the original games for NES, that we own and I contemplate buying a system (you can still get them second-hand at EB game world or some place like them) but I know that the darn thing won't work because of the easiness of the games to become "infected."

plasticfetish
01-25-2004, 04:21 PM
With a good deal of practice and patience, you should be able to do it eventually. How far have you ever gotten? Perhaps I could help with some pointers. :)
I don't even remember now... but pretty far. It's been about a year since I tried last, and about 10 since I really played it. I'm a little afraid to start at it again, because it's so stupidly addictive.

"Eat my shorts!"

Right now we've got the SNES out anyway, 'cause we found a few Mario games and Donkey Kong Country at the thrift (all in super condition.)

The most disappointing part of owning a NES was the maintenance that was required.
Yeah, and it's even more of a problem when it comes to finding carts and systems that even function today. Most of those front loader systems always do that blinking on-off thing... if you can find a top loader any place, they work MUCH better.

---

Here's a question... anyone know a good place to get a set of those special Nintendo screwdrivers?

Kidhuman
01-25-2004, 05:38 PM
I had bought an NES from a co-worker abuot two years ago. I sold it two months later because of the maintanence on it. Sticking one game on another to play it and constantly blowing into them.

Lord Malakite
01-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Here's a question... anyone know a good place to get a set of those special Nintendo screwdrivers?

Not exactly certain where you would look other than e-bay for some of them. What you need are the following: a 3.8mm security bit, a 4.5mm security bit, a triwing driver, and a phillip's head. With those four, you can open just about any game system or cartridge.

plasticfetish
01-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Yep, I've seen sets of those security bits on eBay. That's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanx!

James Boba Fettfield
01-26-2004, 01:58 AM
I'm surprised people still look for the old gaming machines to play with. Emulation being the idea. Much easier to download your old Shadowgate rom and play it on the PC then it is to dig out the NES and find the game for it.

The space mutants game, I always thought it was pretty easy up until the museum level. That level had the worst jumping obstacles, but you could usually accumulate 10+ lives by then. Once you cleared that level, it was pretty much home free considering the low level of difficulty the power plant presented.

Another note, someone here mentioned Where's Waldo being a favorite. Really? I never cared for that game. Levels like finding Waldo in a cave and navigating an arrow through some tunnels to get Waldo's picture, I never did quite get it. And how 'bout that ending? Waldo on the moon!

plasticfetish
01-26-2004, 03:08 AM
That's really weird. The same person that gave me Zelda for X-mas also gave me the Waldo game. Dude... you ruined the end! ;)

For me, there's just something fun about finding an old system, tearing it apart and cleaning or fixing it, then plugging it into the living room TV. Seems like the most appropriate way to play those games. Besides, at this point getting the older systems to perform is almost as much of a challenge as playing the games.

Those old systems and their funny plastic carts are just another thing to collect... another fetish.

mabudonicus
01-26-2004, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised 2 of my all time faves haven't come up yet,
Ice Hockey and The Black Bass...
Black Bass is another love-or-hate title... we just loved it... Ice hockey was a bit more involved than Blades of steel... the fighting in Blades was pretty funny though...

Oh, and Darkwing Duck was probably one of the most excellent games, if ya haven't seen it check it out...OH, and there was a pretty sweet Spideerman game...

And Battle of Olympus... and legendary wings... so many

I really liked them bootleg 300 game carts, the only place where the Macross game was ever available in this country (that I know of, anyways) That game was wicked..

Lousiest NES game??? That Friday the 13th game drove me nuts

JediTricks
01-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Don't blow into your carts, it helps in the short term (very short) but in the long run does much more damage. The saliva you blow onto the cart's contacts causes it to temporarily bridge the gap between the contacts in the cart and the machine, but then it dries up on both sides of the contacts and leaves behind small amounts of funk, thus causing the contacts to have less... contact. ;) You want to keep your contacts as clean and free of debris as possible, don't use rubbing alcohol unless it's 100% alcohol (otherwise, the impurities will stay behind when the alcohol evaporates, just like the saliva in the aforementioned issue) and be careful not to break or bend the contacts. Some folks have used erasers to clean off the funk and corrosion and tarnish, but this usually ends up leaving rubber bits everywhere. I've found that the Game Genie lets a lot of games work in the front loader when the tray no longer holds them in place very well, but if you use it on one that has an adequate tray, it'll screw up the tray.

I now have a top-loader, it's way better and I like the bone controller a lot more than the ol' rectangle hand-killer. But some stuff, like unlicensed games and Game Genie, don't work in it because the housing shape. Oh well.

This talk of the SNES makes me think I should get mine out and hook it up in the living room, that system kicks arse and I never really got into the N64 that's already in there anyway.

Sentinel18725
01-26-2004, 07:42 PM
I absolutely LOVED Bionic Commando....I remember playing it all afternoon one Saturday and then into Sunday after a wrestling tournament that I pulled my neck when I was about thirteen. I also remember a Tank game that I loved but I don't remember the name of it. It was an overhead scrolling game that had a nazi, 1940, WWII feel to it (if not when it took place). I don't have my list here, but I still have my list of beaten games......I remembered Willow being awesome even though I never saw the movie!

Lord Malakite
01-26-2004, 11:17 PM
I now have a top-loader, it's way better and I like the bone controller a lot more than the ol' rectangle hand-killer. But some stuff, like unlicensed games and Game Genie, don't work in it because the housing shape. Oh well.
Actually the Game Genie will work with the top loader. You have to do one of two things though. First you can try to cram it in there really good. The problem with this method is you'll more than likely cause more harm than good, but it has been known to work. The second thing you can do is get the special top loader Game Genie adapter that Galloob gave away for free to people who called their hotline. Simply stick the adaptor on the Game Genie and the Game Genie on the game and there you go. Since the Game Genie no longer exists, your best bet to get the adaptor will probably be e-bay or a used game store if you are lucky.

CaptainSolo1138
01-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Don't blow into your carts, it helps in the short term (very short) but in the long run does much more damage. .

Oops....that sucks.

JediTricks
01-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah, blowing into the carts is such a common mistake. I wouldn't be surprised to learn 100% of NES users did this at some point.

Game Genie adapter? I had no idea. I don't think I'd go for that though, I'd be afraid the game sticking so far out would break from being too flexible. There's got to be another way to modify the housing of the game genie without getting an adapter.

Kidhuman
01-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Yeah, blowing into the carts is such a common mistake. I wouldn't be surprised to learn 100% of NES users did this at some point.

We all did it and dont deny it. We didnt know any better. We were teenagers man. TTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGG GGGGGGEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

JediTricks
01-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Wow, even though you said "teenagers" beforehand, that last part made NO sense. ;) Besides, I think EVERYBODY of all ages did it, adults, children, NOA executives. :D

Brought out my SNES and Super Mario AllStars cart, hooked it all up, and forgot how incredibly difficult The Lost Levels really are! Wow is that game hard! First thing I did was get a poison mushroom. Great cart though, I could kill time with this sucker all day. I only wish I could find the RCA cord system to hook it up without the stupid RF switch.

Kidhuman
01-28-2004, 12:27 AM
It was me yelling in Vain. :p :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-28-2004, 06:55 AM
I'm surprised 2 of my all time faves haven't come up yet,
Ice Hockey and The Black Bass...

I played a game this morning, USA against Canada. USA won, but when I captured the screen (see attachment) it was during the USA victory celebration where the score flashes. Lucky me, I captured the screen when the score was flashed off, but it was 7-5. Those damn Canadians took it to a fourth period where the goalies are gone. Luckily Fatty (USA Fat man) was a good shot and he gave us the win.

JediTricks
01-29-2004, 03:31 AM
Ooh, another of my favorite NES games was Solstice, that game was awesome! The music alone is so incredibly mind blowing and detailed.

Been playing a lot of SNES's The Lost Vikings lately, that game is fun.

mabudonicus
01-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Solstice... good game, for sure... wasn't that the one with the wizard depicted on the cart, which, if ya bought it loose, would confuse you BIG TIME as it was, in fact, a space game???

Thanks for the cap, KH (That's YOU, Kid;)) Man, I wish we could play online... there were about 6 guys in our "league" and we were DEADLY.... we used to have marathons (and this is in the mid 90's, already old-school) and we were GOOD at it... I could beat a novice or even fairly experienced player by scores of 30 or 40 to 0 ... I was recalling that last night, how many people would get angry (even the mild-mannered) as they got smoked in a way that just didn't make sense... it was like we knew every tiny trick of the game... the matches were so good that we would frequently end up with 1-0 as the winning score.... AWESOME!!!!

Oh, and Dynowarz was a pretty good game, where you drove the mechagodzilla lookin thing and could eject out of the head to infiltrate buildings and stuff.....

And there was some game with "roller" in the name I think that was excellent, great control, good graphics and smooth animation, not to mention well designed boards... anyone???

James Boba Fettfield
01-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Man, 40 points!

I felt bad when I played Ice Hockey recently. I thought the computer would be an easy beat, but I was actually getting knocked around and finding myself playing catch up to being behind by 3 or 4 points. I think I am on a 3:1 losses to wins ratio.

evenflow
01-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Rygar was such an awesome game. I wish they would release that for gameboy advance. Castlevania rocked, but Zelda will always be my all time favorite.

CaptainSolo1138
01-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Ooh, another of my favorite NES games was Solstice, that game was awesome! The music alone is so incredibly mind blowing and detailed.

I got that game for Christmas about fifteen years ago, and didn't think much of it. I quit playing it mainly because it was "too hard" (aren't all games when you 8 or 9?)? Since I've gottten my "new" Nintendo, that cart is in there quite a bit. The Game Genie makes it alot more fun because not only can I get through it now, I can explore and not worry about falling off of moving platforms into spikes or something. The odd angle did make some rooms pretty difficult.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Great thread. My favorite was the bootleg (non-Nintendo approved) version of Tetris. Way better than the Nintendo-sanctioned version. Don't ask me how (cause I can't remember back then) but it was better.

Honorable mention:

Metroid
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
There was a Simpsons game I can't remember that was great
Blades of Steel (was that the hockey game by Konami where the loser of the fight got sent to the penalty box and one of the intermissions had a minivideo game on the arena screen?)

Lord Malakite
01-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Great thread. My favorite was the bootleg (non-Nintendo approved) version of Tetris.
That would be Tengun's version of Tetris.

El Chuxter
01-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Does anyone else remember a Tetris knock-off by Sega (only as a coin-op, I think) called Blocks, which added bombs and a few other features?

DarthQuack
01-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Dragon Warrior, any of the four. Hands down. REAL RPG's for you.

-Matt

-Durge-
01-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Not really old school but by far the greatest game Ever is

Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

JediTricks
01-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Solstice... good game, for sure... wasn't that the one with the wizard depicted on the cart, which, if ya bought it loose, would confuse you BIG TIME as it was, in fact, a space game??? Well, it's not a space game, it's an action/puzzle game that takes place in a fantasy wizard-esque world... not to be confused with the comic convetion. ;) I mean, you are playing as Shaddox, a wizard guy who picks up potions and stuff.

And there was some game with "roller" in the name I think that was excellent, great control, good graphics and smooth animation, not to mention well designed boards... anyone???Any other description besides part of the name? :D

evenflow, my copy of Rygar never worked, it'd blink out about halfway through the game, very annoying. It was hard to get used to that title after playing the arcade version first.

Solo1138, I hear ya, the diagonal room didn't lend itself to easy controls. Reminds me of what Q*bert would have been like if it were more complex. We would play that game marathon at my friend's place, hours and hours at a time, but I don't think we ever used the Game Genie (though I can definitely see a massive advantage :D).

I vaguely remember that Sega arcade one Chux, but it's hard to remember it after playing Sega's "Columns" for so long.

mabudonicus
01-29-2004, 10:41 PM
On Solstice- well, could just be faulty memory on my part, there was a game that was the way I described, but I guess it wasn't that one....

The "roller" game- You were driving a sort of tank/platform type thing with big wheels and there was a 180 degree-arc cannon on top... side scrolling..... Ah- Blaster Master!!!
Or something like that... stupid name, bad cover art, no advertising that I can recall, but that game ROCKED!!!!!!!

Oh, and also Golgo 13-top secret episode, lots of fun... and Fist of the North Star, exploding heads rendered in classic NES form!!

QLD
01-30-2004, 03:58 AM
I'm not sure I could pick just one game....I have so many, and love so many of them.

I will list my favorites though.

Final Fantasy
Dragon Warrior
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Bionic Commando
Tecmo Bowl
Tecmo Super Bowl
Gunsmoke
Legend of Kage
Soloman's Key
Bubble Bobble
Super Dodge Ball
Pro Wrestling
R.C. Pro Am
Cobra Triangle
Adventures of Bayou Billy
Life Force
Contra
Tetris
Castlevania
Castlevania II
Blades of Steel
Golgo 13
Double Dribble
Ninja Gaiden
Kung Fu
Metroid
Shadow Gate
Metal Gear
Legend of Zelda

Wow...that was a lot...heh.

Rocketboy
02-08-2004, 06:51 PM
TMNT II - 'nuff said.

CaptainSolo1138
02-08-2004, 11:09 PM
TMNT II - 'nuff said.

How do you know it's a good game? I borrowed it, like, fifteen years ago and never gave it back. HAW! :D

Rocketboy
02-09-2004, 11:35 AM
How do you know it's a good game? I borrowed it, like, fifteen years ago and never gave it back. HAW! :DYa jerk...:)

ThomasLane
02-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Not really old school but by far the greatest game Ever is

Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I finally beat that game just a week ago!