PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see a Star Wars or Lucasfilm Theme Park?

jedi master sal
01-23-2004, 04:48 PM
This question was posed recently on the "official" site and we'd like to know your response here.

Here are some ideas I personally though of for rides/attractions/sideshows etc. What do you think and can you come up with more and different rides.

(Some are kiddie rides)

1) X-wing/Tie Fighter Chase: This is a kiddie ride with alternating fighters going around in a circle.
2) Death Star rollar Coaster: This would be one halacious roller coaster completely enclosed, twirling and corkscrewing like the X-wings did. At the end some kind of effect for the DS being destroyed. Even if that's simply the sound of an explosion.
3) Garbage Chute: Water ride (One large drop off into water to spray you.)
4) Bumper Speeders: Bumper cars that look like speeders (Luke's, Gian, Lar's family etc)
5) Whack a Wompa: Sideshow game like Whack a mole.
6) Battle for Hoth Roller coaster: the cars are individual shape to look like snowspeeders and the track curves around and through the legs of a MASSIVE AT-AT!
7) Exhaust Port: This is one of those rides that is simply the large tower that you ride up and it "drops" you.
8) Video game center that has all of the current AND old SW arcade games. Very nostalgic for some of us!
9) Creature Carosel: carosel with creatures from the movies ie Tauntaun, Eopie, Kaduu, etc
10) Cloud City Restaurant: This would be the Posh restaurant of the park.
11) Plenty of picture taking spots like next to a life sife-Han in Carbonite, Wampa, Vader, Boba Fett, Millenium Falcon! etc...
12) Bathroom look like the Death Star inside (Very clean and Sterile look as it should be)
13) Ewok Village: A rope climb and walk (can be just for kids or not)
14) Star Wars Galaxy: Like a Pirates of the Caribbean from Disneyland, it would take you through planets of the SW galaxyand as a special surprise have a Life size Rancor (animatronic) to scare you!
15) Podrace rollercoaster: Coaster look like podracers. Two tracks like the that race against each other! There's one here in Pittsburgh that it's actually ONE track that runs two coasters and by the end of the ride you end up on the other side. (Hard to explain but it's VERY cool!)
16) Millenium Falcon interactive ride: A small crowd of people climb into the Falcon (one large platform that they all sit on in seats) and it goes through a series of events jostling the people around as if flying. Imagine Scenes of the Death Star or Escaping from the Giant Space Slug! And the Asteroids!
17) Bongo (Gungan sub) ride: Water ride like the log jammer. (Most theme parks have a ride like this)
18) Coruscant Coaster: Imagine racing through the Caverns of Buildings on a Roller Coaster! Very fun at night!
19) Cantina: Obviously a restaurant.
20) Costume shop: Self explanatory.
21) Gift Shop with not just toys, but all sorts of SW paraphranelia (sp?)
22) Water Racing games: Sideshow game where the horses are instead the creatures that were being raced on the background screens in the Coruscant Nightclub.
23) Use the Force Ring Toss:Sideshow game of ring toss.
24) Jedi Temple: Can be something as simple as an observatory tower or better yet like the alpine ski lift that would take you from one section of the park to another and the major poles holding up the lift were shaped like the Jedi Temple Towers.
25) Emperor's Shaft...no not what your thinking... : This is another Pitfall ride, so that you get the same feeling as the Emperor would have! With a large Vader Head at the top so you know who "pushed" you off!
26) Podrace Chaser: Just like the first ride only shaped like Podracers (for Kids)

Okay there are obviously more that I forgot or didn't think of so would you all like to see something on this order. Would you go to the park? More than likely if Lucas did this it would be in California not too far from the Ranch.

beyond just being a Star Wars theme park it could be a Lucasfilm Theme Park and Include rides based on his other hits, ie Indiana Jones, THX-1138, American Graffitti, etc

bobafrett
01-24-2004, 02:29 AM
I wanted to say "no", because I rally don't ride a whole lot of rides, not to mention the cost per ride these days. But then I remember how excited I was when I went to the Star Tours ride in Disney and the thrill of just seeing all the droids, and sets. However I fear that it might lose interest down the road by the general public. I think it's fine with the Star Wars weekends they put on at Disney in Florida.

stillakid
01-24-2004, 02:44 AM
Yes, but it would have to be a "Lucasfilm" park in order to have enough variety. Still, the appeal for a wide audience is limited so this kind of thing might work best if done in proximity and conjunction with a Lucasfilm museum.

Kidhuman
01-24-2004, 04:02 AM
DAmn straight I would. I think it would be awesome. An entire park based solely on SW would rock.

plasticfetish
01-24-2004, 05:36 AM
More than likely if Lucas did this it would be in California not too far from the Ranch.
Mmmm, I dunno... property is just a little pricey in Marin county (and the entire bay area) these days. Not to mention, "the ranch" is a bit too remote, too far from SF. I suppose If LFL was willing to pay up some big money for land that's near BART (rapid transit) then it could be done. (Maybe up around Richmond?)

I'd love to see it. I voted Star Wars only, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of it involving all sorts of things. LFL could open up their own park/studio just like Universal Studios here in LA. Could have rides, theaters (nice digital ones) and some big studio space for film production. Imagine that, filming movies in California again... what a neat idea!

sith_killer_99
01-24-2004, 12:26 PM
I say YES! I would love to see a Star Wars and/or Lucasfilm Theme Park. I remember years ago we had a ride called "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at Water World in Colorado.

Just think of the arcade section alone for one of these parks! I say they should make it free for entry into the park, with ticketed rides plus they could offer all-day and all-weekend passes with unlimited rides.

I guess California would be the logical place for it. But does it really have to be in CA? It could just as easily be set up in Indiana. LOL

It should be somewhere they could stay open all year long with warm weather. Just not Hawaii, too far for the common folk to travel, plus, I don't think my wife wants to go back...ever.

kool-aid killer
01-24-2004, 12:46 PM
A theme park would be cool, but i wonder how many of the average Joes would want to go again and again. A Jabbas palace restaurant would be neat too. I remember seeing the Indiana Jones show and the Star Tours ride at the Florida Disney location and those were the highlights of that visit for me. I like the idea, i just dont think enough people would support it for a long time such as the Disney parks.

stillakid
01-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Mmmm, I dunno... property is just a little pricey in Marin county (and the entire bay area) these days. Not to mention, "the ranch" is a bit too remote, too far from SF. I suppose If LFL was willing to pay up some big money for land that's near BART (rapid transit) then it could be done. (Maybe up around Richmond?)

I'd love to see it. I voted Star Wars only, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of it involving all sorts of things. LFL could open up their own park/studio just like Universal Studios here in LA. Could have rides, theaters (nice digital ones) and some big studio space for film production. Imagine that, filming movies in California again... what a neat idea!

I was thinking about the Presidio idea. If Lucasfilm ever decided to do a permanent museum (instead of the travelling ones), it might also benefit from having some "virtual" rides or something. I think the novelty of having the traditional "spin til you puke" rides that are just dressed up as Star Wars ships would wear thin fairly quickly. Something more along the lines of a flight simulator or a large scale game room would be more in line with the rest of the museum displays. Not that it wouldn't be cool to have some rides like Disneyland's Indiana Jones attraction, but Disney already has that. Star Wars doesn't really offer much in terms of "adventure" on the same lines, so beyond the opportunity to be dropped into a garbage disposal and having to get out before becoming "a lot thinner," I'm not sold on what else they could do.

sith_killer_99
01-24-2004, 01:20 PM
beyond the opportunity to be dropped into a garbage disposal and having to get out before becoming "a lot thinner,"

WOW, getting dropped down the garbage disposal....that would be cool!

LOL

But seriously, there are a lot of things they could do with the Theme Park idea, and let's remember Lucasfilm own ILM, they could crank out some awesome stuff, full interactive, not just the typical ride-til-ya-puke rides.

stillakid
01-24-2004, 01:28 PM
ILM being a digital fx outfit notwithstanding...

they could crank out some awesome stuff, full interactive, not just the typical ride-til-ya-puke rides.

...such as?

sith_killer_99
01-24-2004, 01:52 PM
VR games such as an X-Wing cockpit video game with full 360 degree rotation, 3D Lightsaber video games!

Build and buy your own high quality lightsaber (just the hilt lol)!

Dexter's dinner, Tatooine Cantina with Cantina band playing live!

Hoth/Indiana Jones water parks!

Raiders of the Lost Ark obstacle course.

Lots of other ideas that would require some serious brainstorming. I've never built a theme park, all I am saying is that I think the "creative team" at ILM could do some great work.

stillakid
01-24-2004, 02:08 PM
VR games such as an X-Wing cockpit video game with full 360 degree rotation, 3D Lightsaber video games!

Build and buy your own high quality lightsaber (just the hilt lol)!

Dexter's dinner, Tatooine Cantina with Cantina band playing live!

Hoth/Indiana Jones water parks!

Raiders of the Lost Ark obstacle course.

Lots of other ideas that would require some serious brainstorming. I've never built a theme park, all I am saying is that I think the "creative team" at ILM could do some great work.

As far as the VR games go, that's what I was suggesting with the Museum tie-in. But to embark on a full-scale Theme Park means having rides and attractions large enough to enable thousands of people to enjoy most of the rides simultaneously throughout the $49.99 day. That puts us back into the arena of those semi-lame "group" experiences like Star Tours where you're just along for the ride with 19 other people. The Indy stuff probably has been licensed to Disney for a while so that stuff would probably be out. Maybe a THX-1138 sensory denial room could be interesting for a few minutes or an American Graffiti "drag race" thing, but again, how many people can do this at once without having lines that are more than an hour wait?

I think an extensive "Art of" museum at the Presidio with an adjacent "game/activity room" would be the way to go.

sith_killer_99
01-24-2004, 02:24 PM
That would be cool, but I would have to add it in as an "also" kinda thing.

I support the idea of lots of different things, museums, cafe's, resteraunts, Arcade, Water Park, etc. But at the heart of it all, a Theme Park with rides like "Escape the Death Star Roller Coaster" and others.

In addition, they could put out exclusive merchandise.

stillakid
01-24-2004, 02:31 PM
"Escape the Death Star Roller Coaster"

oooh, I do like that! The ride could start out "high" above a mock up of the surface of the battle station (with gun turrets and stuff) and then you swoop down into a straight-away "trench run" portion where you really pick up speed. Near the end, you "drop your torpedo" in some interactive way, and then the track lifts you back out of the trench as some kind of "explosion" sensory thing "rocks" the car you're riding in. When you get off the ride, a beautiful Princess puts a "medal" around your neck.

Could be cool! :cool:

plasticfetish
01-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Yeah, Stillakid, I agree that there'd have to be a special hook to it.
The "park" or whatever they call it would have to be something different than Disneyland. Disneyland wouldn't work in the bay area anyway. I don't see the Presidio as being the place either. Not that it isn't a great chunk of land that's right there near the city, but it would be a huge traffic problem and I don't think it would fly with the city. They'd be very hesitant to OK a theme park (or whatever) on that land... after all, I think it's still a national park. Better to go find some nice abandoned industrial land just across the bridge from San Rafael and do whatever he wants and can afford to do, like a "THX-1138 sensory denial room" or "Escape the Death Star Roller Coaster."

The idea reminds me of some of those "Ultraman" theme parks (http://www.m-78.com/news/ultramanland/index.html) that I've seen pictures of in Japan. It'd be so hot to have a place with park attendants walking around in costume. Imagine the "Imperial parade" that they could have 2 times daily.

JediTricks
01-25-2004, 03:30 AM
I love both Star Tours and Indiana Jones & The Temple of the Forbidden Eye (overly long name not included), but it'd be pretty hard to come up with 2 dozen or so more rides that still fit the theme. I can't believe Star Tours is turning 20 either, that ride and its queue are still so much fun to me that when I go to Disneyland, I sometimes get out of line to watch all the stuff on the big monitor in the first room.

Still, if Disney decides to tear down crappy Disney's California Adventure and replace it with Lucasfilm Land, I would so totally be there. Heck, the layout isn't even all that unfamiliar to the needs of the world of Indiana Jones, just some tweaking and better rides and more theming...

scruffziller
01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
I would say an overall Lucasfilm park would be the better choice so it could cater to more than just SW fans but to all the fans of his other work as well.

A SW park would seem a little one sided. But no bother, a diversity park of such would still have more than enough SW theme to go around.

Turbowars
01-28-2004, 09:19 PM
I voted yes, because Lucas needs to fund the next 6 SW films:eek: . Someone said something about it not being interesting enough to the general public. Hell, have you guys been to Universal Studios in Hollywood? That place is as exciting as a retirement home and it is always packed.:sur:

JediTricks
01-29-2004, 03:47 AM
It helps that when you buy 1 ticket to Universal, they give you an annual pass or something, right? ;)

I calculate that if Lucas spent $200 million per film, which is well above what he's spent per prequel so far, he currently has enough dough to make 20 more films even if they never make a single penny profit.

stillakid
01-29-2004, 11:59 AM
It helps that when you buy 1 ticket to Universal, they give you an annual pass or something, right? ;)

I calculate that if Lucas spent $200 million per film, which is well above what he's spent per prequel so far, he currently has enough dough to make 20 more films even if they never make a single penny profit.

Well, based on his decisions with the Prequels, it's clear that he didn't set out to make money on them. He did sort of by default, but he wasn't under the gun to actually make them as good as they should have been.

As popular as the Star Wars name is, there is no way that a themepark revolving around it would attract enough year-round visitors to make it worthwhile. Just not going to happen. There are a lot of geeks out there, but not enough for this. That's why the museum/gameroom thing would be his best bet. As long as the overhead on the property was kept to a minimum, the semi-steady flow of customers would keep it self-sufficient and worth having. This is kind of how he built of ILM to be his FX house. It made money on it's own by doing outside projects but ultimately it was built to do Star Wars movies.

Zanshin
01-30-2004, 04:59 PM
I am not all that intersted in 'established' rides with merely a Star Wars theme tacked on. I would prefer more unique rides that truly capture the atmosphere of the trillogy (and the Indiana Jones films, if included). So far, what Lucas has created with Disney has been quite good, though I would like to see it taken a step further. Perhaps something like the Las Vegas 'Star Trek Experience' is along the lines that I am hoping for.

I would really like to see some recreations of some of the locations. I would love it if they set up places that were exact replicas of the interior of the death star, and a Star Destroyer.

One of my greatest fantasies would be to have some kind of set up where people could particapate in a multiplayer battle with X-wings and TIE Fighters, where people could sit in the cockpits of their respective vehicles.

And of course we would have to have the characters roaming the park, especially droids. Lots and lots of R2 units and such.

jedihunter25
02-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Hell yeah!!! I actually came up with this idea about five years ago. It would be cool to have planet themed areas around the park. For instance- In the Tatoonie area is the extreme thrill ride "The Rancor". Before you get on the ride you walk though Jabba's Palace. When the ride is over you can buy a "I survived the Rancor" T-shirt.

rust
02-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Well, Let's do this movie by movie (I'll post ESB and ROTJ Later if you want)

Tantive IV Escape Ride- You get into a room that shakes and turns, there's a screen that plays your journey to Tatooine on it and it shakes and rumbles at certain points (You ride it to get in).
Jawa Sandcrawler-You enter the Sandcrawler, but you dont come out. well, that'll be the tagline. You go in the crawler and you ride an elevator up to the top and you get off. Then you work your way down in the maze and meet different droids (Which are really machines so if you put a dollar bill in you get a Hasbro figure of that droid out).
Cantina- Restaurant serves all kinds of food and has the Cantina Band live.
Flight to Aldarran-You get into a Roller Coaster Ride (Indoors) and pas by some stars, shake a lot and you get out at the end where you're in the Death Star.
Death Star Ride-You get into a teacup shaped like a Stormtroops Head and ride round a couple of times.
Fight With Vader Video Game- There are two domes. One goes in one another goes in the other. You put on a Visor so yuo see the person in the other dome and hey strike fake lightsabers at the air but it looks like its coming for you.
Rebel Base Play Place-Its a smaller model of the Yavin 4 Rebel Base that kiddies can go in and throw balls at each other.
Death Star Destruction- You get in a Roller Coaster and infront of you is a button. There is a laser beaming out. You use a ball to aim at TIEs that come up and you get a score depending on how many TIEs you destroyed, but at the end you send a proton missle at the Death Star and Blow it up. If you get a certain score you get a big prize, but everyone gets a medal on the way out.