PDA

View Full Version : Cantina Bar Wave 2

sbaker
01-23-2004, 10:22 PM
I recall reading recently that Hasbro cancelled the Cantina Bar Wave 2 in Australia. Does anyone know if that's also the case in the U.S.? I'm a completist who's been working on my collection since the new 3-3/4" figures were released in 1995, so I'm hopeful these might still show up domestically. If anyone has any info, please send it to: abaker2@maine.rr.com

Thanks,

Sean Baker
S. Portland, ME

Boba Fetish
01-23-2004, 11:18 PM
No word yet on if anyone in the U.S. will get these. We all pray that some online retailer will get them and sell them like crazy just so we can establish how worthless and lame Walmart's buyers are.

Kidhuman
01-24-2004, 04:13 AM
You know, back when Wal-Mart was going to stop selling some merchandise and we hit them with thoseletters and all, they kinda did a turn around as now 12" figs are showing up. Maybe, just maybe, if we do that with the Cantina sets, they might change their minds again?

DarkArtist
01-24-2004, 07:29 PM
These sets, however cool they may have been, will almost never see the light of day unless someone like the Star Wars Fan Club picks these up. However what would really be cool is if perhaps Hasbor produced these for the upcoming Celebration III. If they produced the Jorg Sacul figure for Celebration II, this time they can have a booth were people can buy exclusive product such as this as well as more of the 25th Anniversary Silver Edition figures.
Not that the convention stuff wasn't cool in the past but this year instead of overpriced cardboard cutouts of the characters and the usual shirts, pens, and other stuff, make this one the ultimate Hasbro related merchandise central of stores.
Also another way for Hasbro to produce those figures that are both rumored as well as the figures that were voted down during the Fan Choice. :) :D

sith_killer_99
01-24-2004, 07:40 PM
However what would really be cool is if perhaps Hasbor produced these for the upcoming Celebration III.

Hasbro has already produced these. They just haven't found anyone to distribute them. They may have locked themselves into a legal snafu with Wal-Mart or they may not have found anyone to carry them yet. But these will see the light of day...eventually. It's just good business sense. The same thing happened with the Masters of the Darkside 2 packs. Hasbro pulled the plug on the 2 packs and we saw the figures re-released as individual figures (twice :rolleyes: ).

We will see these eventually, maybe not as "Cantina Sets", but the figures exist so it stands to reason that we will see 'em eventually.

bobafrett
01-25-2004, 01:39 AM
Toy Palace in Germany has them for preorder, but I think they are asking over $100 for the set. I have ordered product from them in the past. They say they are supposaed to be released this year, but in limited quantitys.

B'Omarr Monkey
01-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see the SW Fan Club get on the ball about offering exclusives. One of the best things about the fan club under old management was that we got a new exclusive every year, and they were all great offerings. When was the alst time they offered an exclusive 3 3/4" figure?

The Cantina Bar sets would be a perfect way for them to get their feet back in the water since the figures are already made, and would not cost the Fan Club anything to get them produced, and Hasbro could get rid of the ones they've made and justify the expense of the new molds (for Kitak Keed'kak and Wuher's new arm sans glass) while offering them directly to the core audience who are demanding these things.

For future releases, it would be a great way for us to get the obscure figures we want that don't really justify being packed with the waves for TRU and such that will just end up being peg warmers later, impacting on getting more obscure characters made in the future.

Dr Zoltar
01-26-2004, 02:51 PM
I'd like to see the SW Fan Club get on the ball about offering exclusives. One of the best things about the fan club under old management was that we got a new exclusive every year, and they were all great offerings. When was the alst time they offered an exclusive 3 3/4" figure?

The Cantina Bar sets would be a perfect way for them to get their feet back in the water since the figures are already made, and would not cost the Fan Club anything to get them produced, and Hasbro could get rid of the ones they've made and justify the expense of the new molds (for Kitak Keed'kak and Wuher's new arm sans glass) while offering them directly to the core audience who are demanding these things.

For future releases, it would be a great way for us to get the obscure figures we want that don't really justify being packed with the waves for TRU and such that will just end up being peg warmers later, impacting on getting more obscure characters made in the future.
As I've posted many times before -- email the fan club directly telling them you want them to pick up this set as a fan club exclusive. The more mail they get on this, the greater the chance that they will get them. Let them hear your voice directly! :D

DarthQuack
01-26-2004, 08:41 PM
I hope they come out with these figures some how, have to complete my cantina!

-Matt

JEDIpartner
01-27-2004, 09:54 AM
As I've posted many times before -- email the fan club directly telling them you want them to pick up this set as a fan club exclusive. The more mail they get on this, the greater the chance that they will get them. Let them hear your voice directly! :D
I've already posted: Lisa Stevens (fan club president) already stated they will not be picking these up.

jjreason
01-27-2004, 06:03 PM
I emailed them as well, when Dr. Z posted the idea some time ago. It didn't take too long for them to shoot back a quick "the fan club has no plans on picking up these items at this time" or something of that nature. I ordered Kitik from Kebco a long while ago myself, they are still waiting to get the figures from Hasbro before they can fill the orders. It's too bad the first run of these got such a lukewarm reception, if they hadn't had to blow them all out for pennies on the dollar we'd have wave 2 by now.

Darth Alex
02-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Now that Toyfare has come & gone, here's my thoughts on this wave for what it's worth.
We all know by now that Hasbro doesn't have enough playsets out to please a lot of fans. I really like Ultra line. The fact that Hasbro is giving in a bit and including ice bases, bigger accessories, and mutliple figure-diorama fillers is really cool. I like the idea of having a completed bar and I endorse the notion of getting something extra-the curved piece.
Call me a SW geek, that's fine, but the idea of getting 4 more pieces to make the complete bar is great. I've grown used to the cardboard backing-it's been a part of SW displays since the original line and at least cardboard makes the scene look...well...scene specific. This line of Bar figures is a unique update of the cardboard cantina...if completed.
I know the curved piece has no mention of being made, but when I saw the 2nd wave of the bar set, I was psyched. The Praying mantis alien, a Dr. Evizan that doesn't have the spread-eagle stance, a darker, richer barkeep....excellent. One step closer to a complete diorama, part-plastic.
By now, this has become a PR snafu for Hasbro. There are probably collectors who for them saw this as one of many final straws. It's no secret that there has been a steady exodus of collectors really downsizing their buying habits or even leaving the hobby entirely.
To cut this ramble, I don't know why Hasbro doesn't just incorporate these into the Ultra line. Take the figure, base, cups, and include a pre-cut display backer (I don't want to try a chop up the huge blister card the Ultra line has) and make the fans happy. I've read the rumors of a Probot in the line, so keep it going with 3 more figures.
If that doesn't work, revive the buy-direct-from-us Hasbro exclusives or sell them through the Insider.
I've even read that Hasbro tryed to deny these being on the slate for release last fall and then find out that the wave was part of the Jedi point auctions.
Now, for once and for all, can anyone who reads this forum tell me what is going on with these? Will they ever come out? Why doesn't Hasbro seem to care when they could clearly re-coup the money they spent make making this 2nd wave?
I know we will probably see a recarded Ponda with bloody arm down the line;
I didn't even mind the Bar fig not having the gun.
This whole thing is just silly at this point....:ermm: .

silentsteel70
02-20-2004, 09:47 PM
I have seen some of these cantina sets going for over $400 on ebay, in apparant mint condition...some singles are going for $100 or more...I hope someone brings them out sometime!! :ermm:

amidalak
02-20-2004, 10:23 PM
these figs have popped up in very limited numbers, and there really isn't any other evidence that these were produced in any great quantity, so i just don't think that we will be seeing these guys at retail in the packaging we have seen them in. however, as far along as hasbro seems to have gotten with these, i will be shocked if we don't see them in some other form, maybe single carded or as part of the ultra line.

Kidhuman
02-20-2004, 11:39 PM
This wave was released in China for some odd reason. There is no retailer that wants to pick these up. Wal_mart ended up eating a huge portiuon of Wave 1 and clearancing them for 2 bucks a pop. Target got stuck with the accessory packs and doesnt want these either supposedly. Until a retailer picks these up, the only way to get them is ebay and having to pay that outrageous price, or Hasbro might release them sometime in the future.

sith_killer_99
02-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Wal_mart ended up eating a huge portiuon of Wave 1 and clearancing them for 2 bucks a pop. Target got stuck with the accessory packs and doesnt want these either supposedly.

I wish my local Wal-Mart had gotten rid of these for $2.00 a pop, they still have 'em collecting dust at $7.00 each!

As for Target, they didn't have clearance very many of those Accessory Sets.

I'm still confident that we will get these figures. Probably in some new packaging, like the Masters of the Darkside figures that found their way into the SAGA line.

skeeziks22
02-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Exclusive items should never have to collect dust... no matter how lame. The problem is that you can rarely get exclusive items at their on-line stores. I think retailers with exclusive items should make a point to put them on their website. I've no Targets here and no K-Marts... I know there are collectors all over the world that are nowhere near any big retailers.

I have seen the complete set af Cantina wave 2 online for sale for $100... not just 1 figure (though I've seen those listings as well). Still that's $33 a figure... so if that is not rediculous I guess go for it. My guess is if they do ever get released they will be recarded like the Jango and Obi-Wan Kamino Escape figures are going to be.

fishyfett
03-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Awhile back in EP1, there were accessories packs sold along the figures. These are just accessories. Then, came Target's exclusives, but this time, it came w/ a figure per pack. Same w/ the Wal-mart's Cantina Sets. Unfortunately, all 3 sets ended up being clearanced.

My guess is, why not run a poll and see how many fans really want it bad as a separate cantina set w/out any old rehashed figures?? Just the accessories. And when there are enough people voted for this piece, perhaps we can petition this to Hasbro to prove that there is a demand for it.

Right now, I see the same situation in TRU's exclusive. Probably not as bad, yet. I, for one, would like to see just the accessories, plus playsets like Jabba's Throne, Cantina Bar, as plastic sets. But until the demand cannot be justified, then we're in for a long wait.

skeeziks22
03-04-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't know that I would buy just the cantina bar without any figures. The second wave would have sold better because of the one original figure, plus the Wuher which was difficult to find. Then the Dr. Evazan which was only available with the three pack a while back. They were all new paint decos as well. The first wave never should have had all repacks... new figs are what we want, especially when being charged a higher price.

I'll say it again... no matter what was packed with the bar scene, or the Target Acc. packs, if the retailers would have sold them on-line they would have sold a lot better. I have no target here and had to get my acc. packs on ebay. If I'd have known that a year after they came out I would have found them for $4.00 ea. when I went home I would have waited... but who can tell. Sell them on-line and I'd be happy.

karinations
03-05-2004, 04:14 AM
3 sets of them on Ebay right now.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=Cantina+wave+2+

Hmmmm dunno if that's gonna work...

If not just search Cantina wave 2.
Sets are going for $300.00
No thanks...

-V-

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 01:40 PM
You forgot to mention 27 dollars for shipping as well. If it is that much(300) ship em for free

TheDarthVader
03-05-2004, 01:59 PM
I have posted this somewhere but I will post again. Hasbro announced that they would have SIX deluxe figures released this year.

1. C3PO
2. General Rieekan
3. Wampa
4. Jabba the Hutt
5. Jabba's Denizens
6. ????????????? Could it be Kitik, Evazan, and Wuher? Or Probe Droid?

TDV

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Ewok Glider is the last one.

skeeziks22
03-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Are they considering the 3PO, Reikan and Wampa sets part of this year's release? If so, that leaves just one more Ultra figure for the rest of the year. That doesn't seem to make sense, but I guess maybe it fits with the Saga line fading into the OT line.

Maybe the 6 announced are just Ultra Saga figures and they will do something comparable for the OT line??? This would be a good way to get the 2nd cantina set out there finally.

TheDarthVader
03-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks Kidhuman, I forgot about the Ewok with glider. I guess they will ship Jabba again. (My speculation). I hope more ultra figures come out this year although I read that only 6 would be released this year. :(

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks Kidhuman, I forgot about the Ewok with glider. I guess they will ship Jabba again. (My speculation). I hope more ultra figures come out this year although I read that only 6 would be released this year. :(

I am figuring they will ship it with repack Obi and Jango. I hope they ship it 4:1:1 in favor of the Ewok, but it will most likely end up 2:2:2

skeeziks22
03-05-2004, 05:13 PM
I am figuring they will ship it with repack Obi and Jango. I hope they ship it 4:1:1 in favor of the Ewok, but it will most likely end up 2:2:2

I hope they do ship in even quantities. Obi-Wan and Jango never showed up in a lot of areas, so I hope they don't short pack them this time around. Plus, if the ewok/glider doesn't sell well (ala Reikan) then we have another peg warmer.

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Funny the only pegwarmer in my area has been 3PO. Rieekan sold out real quick. I was actually lucky when I found mine as it was hidden behind some stuff. The only time I ever saw the Jango and Obi was about 3 hours from my house in another part of Va. and they stayed there for along time. Wouldnt be suprised if they are still there as they had 4 pegs filled with both of them.

skeeziks22
03-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Funny the only pegwarmer in my area has been 3PO. Rieekan sold out real quick.

3PO is keeping the pegs warm up here, but not as well as Reikan.

We never got any Jango/Obi-Wan's and I only saw the Battle droid builder once (never even any Saga Spider Droids). Guess that says something about the evenness of the distribution. Why can't they figure that out by now?

We get all the new GI Joe in a lot of places as soon as they are released... same company so what's the deal?

karinations
03-06-2004, 12:14 AM
3PO is keeping the pegs warm up here, but not as well as Reikan.

We never got any Jango/Obi-Wan's and I only saw the Battle droid builder once (never even any Saga Spider Droids). Guess that says something about the evenness of the distribution. Why can't they figure that out by now?

We get all the new GI Joe in a lot of places as soon as they are released... same company so what's the deal?

No Battle Droid builders have ever turned up where i am.
Or Obi Wan/Jangos.
Saw 1 Spider Droid, glad i got it, i almost didn't.

-V-

B'Omarr Monkey
03-06-2004, 12:48 AM
I've never seen the Obi/Jango companion sets, or the Battle Droid builder either (not even force flipping Anakin for that matter), but everything else has surprisingly turned up. I found the Jabba's denizens the other day, and am really glad I did. I would never have thought that I'd actually have a Wol Cabas****e action figure.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. I don't know about Wuher or Dr. Evazan, since they'd already been released once, and served their purpose as a means of income for Hasbro. Kitak Keed'kak on the other hand is so far a loss for them. They had to pay for the sculpting, the expensive molds, the packaging etc.. I can't imagine Hasbro is going to just eat that expense. They'll have to release it at some point or another--I hope.

Wuher I believe was changed so that he's no longer holding a glass. Dr. Evazan really needs a new sculpt--at least his head. Otherwise, I see a future as pegwarmers for both of them.

My thoughts are to put out a cantina wave as part of the ultra collection with the bar pieces, but swap Evazon and Wuher for new characters like Saurin, Danik Jerriko, or the Tonnika sndisters. Keep Kitak Keed'kak. Those things would fly off the shelves.

Going back to the Jabba's denizen set, a Cantina set with the Lamproid, plus two other characters, and one with the dwarf laughing it up w/Saurin at the bar + two other characters would also be a good way to go.

There's a lot of ways Hasbro could get rid of their Kitak Keed'kak figures and make us happy as well as lessen their losses. Didn't the original B'Omarr Monk come through Hasbro itself as an exclusive? If no retail outlets want the 2nd Cantina bar wave, Hasbro wouldn't be stepping on any toes to offer it themselves online. Maybe this could be the mail in figure we've all been waiting for since the preview Mace Windu?

Kidhuman
03-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Finally (http://collectibles.echostation.com/qna/Yakfacecantina.jpg) Kitik is here. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sith_killer_99
03-14-2004, 11:57 AM
:eek:

As in...

I mean like...

Turbowars
03-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Nothing comes up.:nerv:

Kidhuman
03-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Works for me

Turbowars
03-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Works for meSince I can't find it anywhere on their site, whats the news?

Banthaholic
03-14-2004, 01:33 PM
http://www.yakface.com/qna.shtml

Turbowars
03-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Thank you, I just found the link at RS also. It looks fake to me, look at the line in the middle on the bubble.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-14-2004, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure about the authenticity, but it would be nice to have. They said this is a mock-up, so it's not the final packaging. It doesn't say the name of the set visibly anywhere on the set, the figures and accessories are loosely arranged with nothing holding them down, and the bubble looks like two screen scene bubbles cut and put together. It could easily be a fake, but I'm really hoping it's real.

sith_killer_99
03-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Hmm, that's the problem with mock-ups, they usually look cheesy and fake. I remember laughing my butt off when I saw the mock-up for the TIE Bomber. Now that looked fake...LOL.

Here's to 'A New Hope' of finally getting these long awaited figures.

skeeziks22
03-15-2004, 12:10 PM
I'd be really surprised if this set ends up being larger than the jedi council and war room packs we have now. The mock up is based off of what has been heard, not seen. I doubt we get all three bar sections. Heck, do we need three more anyways? None are curved, so that makes six straight sections which seems longer than it should be.

Kidhuman
03-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I hope and prey it is not a screen scene. They are too darn small. If the gives us Kit , she needs to be in full scale size. This set wit 3 pieces or not is what needs to be put out for us. 2 pieces of the bar is fine, considering one of them is the bartender and he doesnt need a section.

skeeziks22
03-15-2004, 12:40 PM
I would like them to include a curved section and one straight section with both the new cantina sets so we could have a full bar. I agree that the new packs are too small, but I like the depth. With that depth I think a straight section and a curved section would look good and have plenty of room for all three figures.

Kidhuman
03-16-2004, 01:41 AM
Just read that these will be exclusive to KMART. :beard: :beard: :nerv: :beard: :speech: :beard: :speech: :beard:

plo koon 200
03-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Cool. I may have a chance at getting it.

Hellboy
03-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Well I'm glad they finally got picked up by a retailer but I can't think of a worse choice than K-Mart. They can barely keep their toy section organized and stocked, how are they supposed to handle an exclusive of this caliber? :rolleyes:

I'd love to see the faces of those poor saps that blew $200+ on ebay for these though. lol

jjreason
03-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Blast it! K Mart isn't good news for us either - we don't have any up here. With any luck the price will be the same as the last scenes and I won't have to blow my life savings to get them. Still pumped about the mockup, these should be great sets!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Hey, mods - could someone merge this thread with the nearly identical one in the OTC section? It's getting kind of confisuing, trying to keep up with both, even though it's almost the same stuff.