PDA

View Full Version : Celebration III!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Event Extended to Four Days: April 21 to 24, 2005! :D

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2004/01/news20040123.html

dr_evazan22
01-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Sorry it took so long for me to post, but I had to make my travel and vacation plans first. And I'm still the second poster.

What can I say but BOO-YEAH!!

I was at both C1 and C2 and am looking forward to this one as well. I see that they opened it up to the entire convention ctr. I hope that in some way this will ease the congestion on Sat and Sun. Another hopeful... That with all the advance notice they work out a system where the same show, topic, event gets repeated a number of times for all the fans to see. And if they do a convention exclusive, lets hope they produce enough figs and maybe presell them so all you have to do is pick them up. No waiting in lines.

Ya hear that GenCon? Lines! Lines! Lines! Get rid of them!

SirSteve
01-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Now that we have a time and date, I can start putting together the SSG Forums Party. Is there anyone from Indianapolis that could help scout out locations around the convention center?

bobafrett
01-24-2004, 03:51 PM
I'll probably be one of the guys walking around in Armor. Since Indianapolis is rather close to my place, I will at least be there. It would be cool to see some fellow posters there!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Holy crap! Celebration I and II were the coolest, some of the funnest times I've ever had. Awesome to hear that it will be four days, the lines were so long at the others, and now you can see more stuff (three days could hold a lot, but not enough). Even though it is really three and a half days (it starts in the afternoon), but what're you gonna do. Also good to hear that Indiana's the place again, I can get more Steak and Shake, haha (they don't have those in Colorado).

My parents and I'll need to make reservations soon, my dad and I were far from the center last time. Sirsteve, are you thinking of having the forums party on one of the days of the con, or before or after? That'd be nice to know, for people who need to get hotel or train/flight reservations.

Silent Chazz
01-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Seeing as I have over a year now to plan this, I MIGHT be attending.

Kidhuman
01-24-2004, 06:16 PM
If all goes well, kidhuman and sweetrain will make an appearance. GOnna be sweet as candy.

Tonysmo
01-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Ill be there.. I wouldnt miss it after CII.

darth maul rat
01-25-2004, 02:43 AM
Now that we have a time and date, I can start putting together the SSG Forums Party. Is there anyone from Indianapolis that could help scout out locations around the convention center?

What exactly are you looking for? A bar? A restaurant? I live in the suburbs of Indy, and don't get downtown too often, but I am sure between my knowledge and that of several of my friends who work downtown we could find out whatever you need to know and put you in touch with the necessary people.

Jim (darthmaulratt)

Ook
01-26-2004, 04:29 AM
I'm all over it. I did I & II, and I'll be doin this one. :cool:

BFett88
01-26-2004, 01:45 PM
I just booked my hotel room at the Westin. It is next to the RCA dome, I can't wait. The room is rather exspensive, but I can cancel my resorvation at any time, because there might be deals through the official site. But I do have one and I don't have to worry about it. It will be great.

Tycho
01-27-2004, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I can't wait for this. And I love Indianapolis as well as made a new friend there at the last convention.

I think I'd go for Embassy Suites downtown Indianapolis. Not sure. But I think the Hyatt was another hotel there that was preferable.

Last time, I too stayed a ways out of town. But everything's right there. Instead of renting a car, next time I'm just going to take a shuttle in from the airport and stay right there.

Actually, one hotel conncects to the Convention Center. I snuck into Celebration 2 early one day through that accessway (versus waiting in the long lines at the front).

Anyone recall which hotel connects? That might be the ticket!

BFett88
01-27-2004, 01:27 PM
The Westin Connects

Tycho
01-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks! Then I think that's where I'll be staying.

Kidhuman
01-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Me too............Westin eh??????????????

The 'Xir
01-31-2004, 03:47 AM
I haven't been to any of the conventions yet! I think I was either too busy with work or just didn't get the money together, but I'm really gonna try to make this one! The Idea of an SSG party sounds great too, I'd like to catch up with or finally meet alot of you guys! Hell we should all just pitch in $5-20 bucks each to rent out a huge bar or something and we could have one hell of a party!!! :stupid: :speech: :dead: :cool:
Hey if any other New York SSG'ers are going, maybe we could all pitch in, and rent a passenger van or something!!! ROAD TRIP!!! Goto my profile and email me to let me know! :)

-Durge-
01-31-2004, 06:00 AM
Whats the deal with this convestion? What exactly happens.

Tycho
01-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Everyone goes for different reasons: here's a short list and I'll probably forget something...

1) you sit in large auditorium rooms and see the actors come out on stage and they are interviewed and the audience can ask questions and answers. Sometimes, stars like Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian), or Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker) are out there by themselves because they're so "big," and other times, they assemble groups of bit-part guests like the Rebels (General Rieekan, Biggs, Porkins, Dak, Admiral Ackbar) etc. - no they are not wearing their costumes. Sometimes it's the Imperials (Ozzel and Piett), or Jedi (Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, etc.) and a hot panel was The Women of Star Wars (Oola, Mara Jade, Aayla Secura, Aurra Sing, Bariss Offee, Luminara Unduli). Note: chicks with British or Southern accents are hot!

2) If you want costumes, hundreds if probably thousands of fans are in costumes designed to various talents. Many are really-really good. You can take pictures with them, or watch the costume contest award prizes for the very best. One guy even comes in riding a TaunTaun, and others on a Bantha, or Jawas on a DRIVEABLE mini Sandcrawler. Did I mention they have real remote control MOUSE DROIDS?

3) If you want autographs, (and care to miss most of the above) you can stand in long lines (actually they plan to make appointment times for pre-registered fans this year, I heard) to get your favorite action figures or photographs and posters signed by Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) Bonnie Piecies (Beru Whiteson), Warwick Davis (Wicket, Wald), Peter Meyhew (Chewbacca), Greedo, Nute Gunray, Aurra Sing, and more.

4) If you want action figures, etc. (and care to stand in long lines for an exclusive or two) the Official Fan Club usually has an exclusive action figure (that having one or two of would surely change your life if you fly all the way out to Indiana just to get it :rolleyes: ) which will probably be an inconsequential figure to the collection anyway (like George Lucas on a Wedge Antilles body) or something like a Tusken Raider spray-painted in Silver and put in special "non-styled" exclusive packaging. However, see point 5 - this can turn out good. But meanwhile, the Fan Club store will have t-shirts, backpacks, hats, lightsabers, more figures, ships, all kinds of things.

5) there's a dealer's room. You know that Zutton figure that's pegwarming at Toys R Us? Here's your chance to get him for only $11 ! Yes, the dealer's room can hold a lot of treasures for anyone looking for vintage Kenner figures, or probably 2001 and earlier modern figures that are hard to come by at retail now - plus ships like the Outrider and vintage toys like the Death Star Playset which you will never see again. Just looking at the amounts of things collected is amazing in itself. You may also find Generation 1 Transformers, Micronauts, Voltron, GI Joe vintage, etc. as the toy dealers have it all.

6) The video gamers section has Lucasarts, and Sony, Nintendo, et. all and they're all aranged so you can test demonstrate (play) their newest Star Wars games on giant big-screens with surround sound and vibrating pilots' chairs and so forth.

7) Master Replicas is there teaching people how to become Jedi Knights by weilding their FX Lightsabers. Ever wonder how cool these things are and why people pay hundreds of dollars for them? Like test driving a car before you buy, you should check out their lightsabers.

8) Code 3 Collectibles lets you test drive their die-cast awesome Millennium Falcon and X-wing fighter. Chances are good that new ships will be added to the collection. They're heavy metal and you'll feel the quality when you hold a 20 lb Millennium Falcon in your hand after being used to a light plastic thing.

9) speaking of test driving, "day care" of sorts is there for kids who (I think) the Fan Club has Jedi Padawan school for, and teaches the kids lightsaber moves and martial arts within a qualified program. Many parents just like to watch, but I think others drop them off and journey on to the dealers' rooms, etc.

10) Meeting people - ever want to finally get to know the folks you've talked to in forums, traded with on e-Bay, or meet the webmasters from the big Star Wars sites. SirStevesGuide will be there, along with Rebelscum and Galactic Hunter, NiubNiub's Universe, theForce.net, and so on. Stillakid and I can meet for a rematch in person! The Prequels vs. the Sequels. I'm bringing my lightsaber! But nows your chance to kick someone's butt if you've been wishing for the opportunity to track down the little squirrel your whole time on the internet! In addition, I am going to try to conduct a symposium on Mouse Droid sniffing and have "Got Mouse?" t-shirts made up, and see if Hasbro will donate fresh samples in dime bags for the occasion.

11) Talk to Hasbro - yes Hasbro's employees are there in person including their upper management and we get to torture them for 4 days! They are asked approximately 111 times a day why Luke's glove is on the wrong hand. This time we can have revenge for the Mexican Revolution Yoda from Clone Wars, find out why they won't ship straight cases of Super Articulated Clone Troopers, and see if after 4 days anything we tell them actually sinks in. Actually, the sculptors will be there actually making the next years' new figures (and we can punch them or throw wet vegetables at them if they are adding action features to the figures again). But there will be cases of new product there for you to see in person, long before they hit stores, and in a few circumstances, before any pictures have ever leaked to the internet as new figures premier there. They may have free posters with the figures all pictured on them, and those sorts of things, too. Plus their huge battle dioramas with armies upon armies doing battle will remind people of my living room.

12) You can take your picture next to the life-size "real" Star Wars spaceships. Celebration 2 had Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter. The real deal! You couldn't sit in it *unless the security guard wasn't looking or you bribed him well* but before that it was Anakin's Podracer, Bravo Leader's Naboo Starfighter, and Luke Skywalker's X-wing Fighter! Live, and in person! At night, turn on the local news to listen to UFO reports to learn how they got there!

13) Lucasfilm archives - spend long hours staring at the real bikini costume that Carrie Fisher wore for Jabba the Hutt! Imagine you are a fat slob standing close to a girl wearing that! Here's your opportunity to see everything including the real Darth Vader costume (which purifies the oxygen in the room like an air ionizer - great if anyone's smoking) and you can see Han Solo's gun, Qui-Gon's midi-chlorian sampler (with Stillakid standing next to it saying "that does not exist!!" And there will be the filming models of the real ships used for effects scenes in the movie, possibly including huge star destroyers or the Death Star!

14) Fan films - funny, serious, cool - ones that are great and usually (not) ones that suck - see screenings made by huge pools of talent out there all inspired by Star Wars. One of the best ones I remember was of a toy hunt - so they're not all fiction. This film follows a team of guys (all nerds like the guys in my club) as they use CB radios to spread out on a search-and-erradicate mission to find new action figures, shot on locations at Targets, Wal-Marts, and Toys R Us, and co-starring some very stupid employees! You don't want to miss that one - it's reality shows at its finest. But others, like bounty hunting stories, fighter pilot movies bases on Rogue Squadron, and so forth, are really worth seeing. Many are put together by professional film students, and so long as they are not for profit, George Lucas reviews them and picks the best ones to be shown at conventions, as he's a fan of people up-and-coming like he once was.

15) Live theater. The great Complete Star Wars Story in 30 Minutes is performed by live stage actors in costume. I didnt see this, but heard it was wonderful. There is also Star Wars the musical. If they do these things, they sometimes require separate tickets, even if the shows are free. They are popular and in-demand!

Tycho
01-31-2004, 01:08 PM
16) the Indianpolis Symphony Orchestra - performing all of John Williams' greatest Star Wars hits, and accompanied by costumed fans and actors, this does require separate tickets but it is a total hit. There is a laser and pyrotechnic show to go along with it, not to mention a vocal chorus to do hits like Duel of the Fates, live, with those Japanese war drums, and everything. It is usually at night, after the convention closes for the day, and so well worth it! Smooch with your girl to the Han Solo-and-the-Princess theme, all set to mood lights.

17) Diorama building 901- NiubNiub did this last celebration, and everyone interested, (and I think registered for this) was involved in learning how to mold and work with model-making materials to make an entire ROOM-SIZED recreation of Mos Eisley Space Port. I didn't participate, since my office looks like this already, but I did stop in to watch some very talented people teach a new generations of former-amateurs. They gave away free sections of it (with figures I think) to all the partipants. NiubNiub also transported many of his smaller dioramas to display lining the room, and raffled some off I think.

18) Super-collections - see some of the collecting community's best, especially vintage collections that you'll never see so complete! They take up entire medium-sized rooms and you're sure to see something that you never knew they made before, like prototypes of the blockade runner toy Kenner once planned to do, etc. As well as vintage figures like Yarna dal Gargon that never made it to production. You could spend half the day looking at this stuff and suddenly discover something new you were interested in.

19) Ask Rick McCallum - here's another opportunity for revenge. I loved asking him why he let Greedo fire first in front of thousands of people. As far as I'm concerned, we can get him back every year for that! The DVD's will be out by then, and everyone will have a beef with him over something - like original version releases, whether they'll make us buy them over-and-over again for extended footage they keep adding, whatever. Rick is all ours for an hour and a half! Bring flowers and vegetables. Use each at the appropriate times.

20) Could George finally be there? It would be a shocker, but do you want to miss all the above, which surely should interest you, and then miss George on top of it?

21) Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGreggor, Harrison Ford, Samuel L. Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, Mark Hamill - most of these guys, especially the majority of them, are "too important" to attend a Star Was convention - but this could be the last one -and definitely the last really big one until what? A 50th anniversary or something? So who knows who could show.

22) If Indiana Jones is coming back - Lucas, even Spielberg (who might be doing a Star Wars television series) - and Harrison Ford, could all attend to promote Indiana Jones to thousands of people, or even show test clips to the audience.

23) Episode 3 previews - yes they'll show scenes from Episode 3 before the movie. At Celebration 2 they showed Yoda fighting Count Dooku and it was amazing. That was weeks before the movie premiered. You can be pretty sure they'll show Obi-Wan and Anakin's great duel there live! It's no plot secret and everyone is seeing the movie for more than just that - they'll show it since Ewan and Hayden are so adamant about how hard they worked on it. Who knows? If Ewan makes this convention, he (as a big fan) and Hayden, along with Rick (or George or Nick Gilliard?) could host this. The audience will go crazy and they'll play this over and over again like they did with Yoda! Their set-up includes digital projection and THX installed!

24) Star Wars TV - like at Comic Con where the Clone Wars Cartoon premiered - episode 1 uncut - this would be the prime opportunity to reveal what's happening to Star Wars after E3- like the Young Darth Vader series that's rumored to be helmed by Steven Spielberg (Lucas' best friend).

25) Nights on the town partying with people in costume, or not, including even NORMAL Star Wars fans (I'm not describing myself of course, but rather the people avoiding me). Here's your chance to even meet members of the opposite sex who like Star Wars as much as you do (You've got to marry somebody who will let you sleep with that stuffed Wookiee, don't you?)
Actually, being from San Diego, I was quite surprised: Indianapolis is a really CLEAN City, very nicely developed and modernized like even San Diego wishes it were. There are horse and carriage rides for the romantic, an Escape from Alcatraz bar right by the convention center, the RCA-Dome (in case there are games or a concert around the same time as the convention), nice hotels, good restaurants, places to shoot pool, drink, take scenic walks by water fountains and public art, and so on. I'd plan to come early and stay in town late after the convention so you get a full experience of Indianapolis (or a taste at least) especially if standing in lines for autographs and action figures is your thing. There's so much more you'll be missing!

Well, I think I covered it all. Hope to see you there! :)

26 (OOPS!) I forgot the Star Wars LEGO building contests - doing large dioramas, life-size characters or spaceships, all out of LEGOs! If that's your thing, this could be a lot of fun -and a challenge you'd arrive early and stay late for. (Watch for details. Word was that the other year, they started waaay- early).

Tycho
01-31-2004, 01:10 PM
LOL - the system for the first time (even for me) told me that my original post was too long (15,000 characters) and to please shorten it to (10,000)!

That's never happened before. I hope I thoroughly answered your question? lol

Tycho
01-31-2004, 01:13 PM
27) Drat! I missed the Fan Club breakfasts - eat breakfast with the stars of Star Wars, Hasbro, Steve Sansweet, and more. This costs a little extra but was so much fun at Comic Con - Breakfast with the Fetts.

This was the exception to my criticism of exclusive convention figures. The Silver Boba Fett was laid out on the plates at every breakfast seat, and each table was dismissed in lines to go up and have Jeremy Bulloch and Daniel Logan sign your action figure.

We at SirSteves sat with the staff of Rebelscum and Galactic Hunter, and had a great breakfast chat along with staff from Hasbro.

That Fett figure, BECAUSE OF THE MEMORY IT BRINGS BACK, remains a favorite item in my collection - and from just last year!

Tycho
01-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Oh - know what I love? Getting figures out of the Wal-Marts, Targets, etc. while 85,000 Star Wars collectors are all in the same town! Hehe.

At Celebration 2, I made a map of the Wal-Marts (which opened early enough that I could still get back to the Con before doors opened for the day there) and I called the stores to find out what time they opened, and when they closed.

This was like just after Midnite Madness had happened, and the first 16-20 figures were out, but Bespin Luke, Vader, Jango Fett with the flame-thrower, and Mace with his eyes closed were brand-spanking new. Almost nobody had them, and I pulled them out of several Indianapolis Wal-marts at 7 in the morning while 85,000 fans were in town, and I took them to show off (with my receipts) at the convention. Those guys in autograph lines were really pizzed off. It was funny.

Try and beat Tycho to the stores, will yah?

28) Race Tycho for figures in Indianapolis. Who will have the next batch of Episode 3 figures first? A little friendly competition for yah? I'll see you at the Indy Wal-Marts if you're up for it! Hahahaha!

Kidhuman
01-31-2004, 04:10 PM
28) Race Tycho for figures in Indianapolis. Who will have the next batch of Episode 3 figures first? A little friendly competition for yah? I'll see you at the Indy Wal-Marts if you're up for it! Hahahaha!

I wont race ya, I will just let you drive.

Man, this sounds like it is gonna be awesome. I need to make it to this.

-Durge-
01-31-2004, 07:54 PM
16) the Indianpolis Symphony Orchestra - performing all of John Williams' greatest Star Wars hits, and accompanied by costumed fans and actors, this does require separate tickets but it is a total hit. There is a laser and pyrotechnic show to go along with it, not to mention a vocal chorus to do hits like Duel of the Fates, live, with those Japanese war drums, and everything. It is usually at night, after the convention closes for the day, and so well worth it! Smooch with your girl to the Han Solo-and-the-Princess theme, all set to mood lights.

17) Diorama building 901- NiubNiub did this last celebration, and everyone interested, (and I think registered for this) was involved in learning how to mold and work with model-making materials to make an entire ROOM-SIZED recreation of Mos Eisley Space Port. I didn't participate, since my office looks like this already, but I did stop in to watch some very talented people teach a new generations of former-amateurs. They gave away free sections of it (with figures I think) to all the partipants. NiubNiub also transported many of his smaller dioramas to display lining the room, and raffled some off I think.

18) Super-collections - see some of the collecting community's best, especially vintage collections that you'll never see so complete! They take up entire medium-sized rooms and you're sure to see something that you never knew they made before, like prototypes of the blockade runner toy Kenner once planned to do, etc. As well as vintage figures like Yarna dal Gargon that never made it to production. You could spend half the day looking at this stuff and suddenly discover something new you were interested in.

19) Ask Rick McCallum - here's another opportunity for revenge. I loved asking him why he let Greedo fire first in front of thousands of people. As far as I'm concerned, we can get him back every year for that! The DVD's will be out by then, and everyone will have a beef with him over something - like original version releases, whether they'll make us buy them over-and-over again for extended footage they keep adding, whatever. Rick is all ours for an hour and a half! Bring flowers and vegetables. Use each at the appropriate times.

20) Could George finally be there? It would be a shocker, but do you want to miss all the above, which surely should interest you, and then miss George on top of it?

21) Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGreggor, Harrison Ford, Samuel L. Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, Mark Hamill - most of these guys, especially the majority of them, are "too important" to attend a Star Was convention - but this could be the last one -and definitely the last really big one until what? A 50th anniversary or something? So who knows who could show.

22) If Indiana Jones is coming back - Lucas, even Spielberg (who might be doing a Star Wars television series) - and Harrison Ford, could all attend to promote Indiana Jones to thousands of people, or even show test clips to the audience.

23) Episode 3 previews - yes they'll show scenes from Episode 3 before the movie. At Celebration 2 they showed Yoda fighting Count Dooku and it was amazing. That was weeks before the movie premiered. You can be pretty sure they'll show Obi-Wan and Anakin's great duel there live! It's no plot secret and everyone is seeing the movie for more than just that - they'll show it since Ewan and Hayden are so adamant about how hard they worked on it. Who knows? If Ewan makes this convention, he (as a big fan) and Hayden, along with Rick (or George or Nick Gilliard?) could host this. The audience will go crazy and they'll play this over and over again like they did with Yoda! Their set-up includes digital projection and THX installed!

24) Star Wars TV - like at Comic Con where the Clone Wars Cartoon premiered - episode 1 uncut - this would be the prime opportunity to reveal what's happening to Star Wars after E3- like the Young Darth Vader series that's rumored to be helmed by Steven Spielberg (Lucas' best friend).

25) Nights on the town partying with people in costume, or not, including even NORMAL Star Wars fans (I'm not describing myself of course, but rather the people avoiding me). Here's your chance to even meet members of the opposite sex who like Star Wars as much as you do (You've got to marry somebody who will let you sleep with that stuffed Wookiee, don't you?)
Actually, being from San Diego, I was quite surprised: Indianapolis is a really CLEAN City, very nicely developed and modernized like even San Diego wishes it were. There are horse and carriage rides for the romantic, an Escape from Alcatraz bar right by the convention center, the RCA-Dome (in case there are games or a concert around the same time as the convention), nice hotels, good restaurants, places to shoot pool, drink, take scenic walks by water fountains and public art, and so on. I'd plan to come early and stay in town late after the convention so you get a full experience of Indianapolis (or a taste at least) especially if standing in lines for autographs and action figures is your thing. There's so much more you'll be missing!

Well, I think I covered it all. Hope to see you there! :)

26 (OOPS!) I forgot the Star Wars LEGO building contests - doing large dioramas, life-size characters or spaceships, all out of LEGOs! If that's your thing, this could be a lot of fun -and a challenge you'd arrive early and stay late for. (Watch for details. Word was that the other year, they started waaay- early).WoW Tycho, thats amazing...I really really want to go now.:D :D lol

Tonysmo
02-01-2004, 02:44 AM
It isnt all fun and games.. I was harassed the whole time.. Guys in white armor kept pushing me this way, pushing me that way.. MOVE ALONG thats all I heard.. Rebel Scum this, Rebel Scum that.. they were all so mean. I mean, here I am at CII trying to join up with the others that from that small resistance known as the rebellion.. and WHAM!! IMPERIALS everywhere! crazyness..

CIII will be much different. I have resigned from the Rebellion ( one whiny Jedi in particular helped my decsion ) I have been studying Galactic Politics, and have enrolled in a self study course in shooting statistics - I hope to enlighten fellow troopers on how to shoot straighter, and how to switch back and forth from Stun effeciently.. so, in other words - I have joined the ranks of Imperial. I plan to be there in full gear ready to assist.

Westin eh? ( picks up phone for penthouse suit.. )

as for the ssg gang. I know its early.. but last year we had tags. This year I suggest shirts.. seriously.. Im willing to pay of course, and if need be, I can even come up with the whole idea and shirts.. I may ( do ) have connections.

ideas? I plan on being there for two full days. Id like to know where we can all meet up for once. I didnt meet any of you the last time, and I was somewhat dissapointed.. I dont want to miss out again..

stillakid
02-01-2004, 11:12 AM
CIII will be much different. I have resigned from the Rebellion ( one whiny Jedi in particular helped my decsion ) I have been studying Galactic Politics, and have enrolled in a self study course in shooting statistics - I hope to enlighten fellow troopers on how to shoot straighter, and how to switch back and forth from Stun effeciently.. so, in other words - I have joined the ranks of Imperial. I plan to be there in full gear ready to assist.

I don't know what your experience was like last time, but after talking with a friend who went as an "assist" Trooper, they got screwed. They were supposed to get benefits like "cuts" in line and special access to things like the exclusive toys and such, but he said that it was so poorly organized by Wizard World (or whoever ran the show on their end) that he ended up working the whole time and missed nearly everything. As the weekend wore on and 501st members realized how badly it was screwed up, they just wouldn't show up for their shifts which meant that the guys who were sticking it out, got the short end of the stick. Maybe they'll have their act together this time around, but keep that in mind before signing up.

Tycho
02-01-2004, 12:13 PM
A lot of people got the short end of the stick for 2 main reasons.

Reason 1 is simple: all they cared about was standing in line for autographs or exclusive action figures. This is not an experience, it is a chore. Back in the hey day of the Soviet Union you could stand in line all day for bread. This feels about the same, I'm sure. You'll get 30 seconds with a movie star and they aren't going to "discover you," fall in love with you, or employ you in any way. You might get a picture taken with them, but you won't get long enough to talk with them to learn if they're only smiling because they're on drugs, or if they really like increasing their chances of carpel-tunnel syndrome. IF YOU'RE INTO CELEBRITY STALKING, I suggest going to the big auditorium events where you can actually have a longer chance to "talk" to your favorite stars or producers, and likely hear others ask questions you want to as well. Pretty much everything will get covered.

If you're after the figures, let me ask you this: it costs you something like a minimal of 300-600 dollars for this weekend, and you miss all the events they have planned and included in those costs - can't you get your dollar's worth and return home and buy the exclusive figures on e-Bay for $100-200 bucks? And if you ARE going to see the events, and plan to SCALP your exclusive figure to reimburse yourself for the costs, it won't be worth it because you'll miss plenty of stuff while you're still standing in line to get the darn figure in the first place - and no one can garauntee what you'll get on e-Bay for it anyway. Idiots...

You know they say it takes a lot of positives to reverse your emotions over one negative? Well standing in long lines while you're missing things (and mostly your freedom to move, go to the bathroom, etc.) IS A NEGATIVE!

OK. That covered...REASON # 2: The Fan Club.

At Celebration 2 they planned to have about 45,000 fans come out or something, and like 80,000 showed up! That's great for Star Wars fandom solidarity, but harsh for getting into events.

Long lines with no garauntees of admission plagued the event. At the last Comic Con breakfast, I proposed to Lisa Stevens (publically) that they do the following:

1) Publish a schedule to the best of their knowledge (some celebrities change things at the last minute) and offer the daily events schedule on their website (trying to book big names for at least 2 different stage appearances).

2) Have people fill out an itinerary for the show online, WHEN THEY BUY THEIR TICKETS, or at a well-published date well in advance of traveling to Indiana. Or have them do it at Will-Call, but that could get sloppy.

Basically you see a schedule:

Saturday:

2pm

Room A: Mark Hamill

Room B: Billy Dee Williams

Room C: Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, Kit Fisto

3:30 pm

Room A: Ray Park

Room B: Christopher Lee

Room C: Peter Meyhew, Kenny Baker, Anthony Daniels

Sun:

2pm

Room A: Rick McCallum

Room B: Carrie Fisher

Room C: costume contest

3:30pm

Room A: Hayden Christensen

Room B: Mara Jade, Oola, Aurra Sing, Bariss Offee, Aayla Secura, Luminara Undulli

Room C: Fan Film Festival

TICKETS ARE PRE-PRINTED and YOU set your schedule:

You get a wad-full of them (as part of your admission cost) and they admit you to what you chose to see:

On Saturday, if you chose to go to Luke Skywalker, you're not getting into Lando or the Jedi Council shows.

Luke has a blue ticket saying Sat. Rm A, 2pm, Lando has a red ticket saying Sat. Rm B, 2pm, etc.

The staff is trainined to READ YOUR TICKETS.

This way you don't have to stand in line at 11am to get into Luke's 2pm show and make sure you have a seat. (That was going on at the last convention). You show up for your appointment and go in when your ticket says you can. Want to change? Trade tickets with someone at the convention. The desk won't swap tickets out.

That's the way I'd run it. You have freedom of choice in the beginning, but once you've written "your destiny," it unfolds as totalitarian as the Empire!

But there will be less problems.

Also, to pay for the extra cost, sell 3 admission packages:

$90 - 4 days, all admissions to all areas, but pre-plan your schedule. You get to attend the big events (like with the stars and the Episode 3 preview) for which you pre-select tickets for.

$75 - 4 days, Fan-Pack - admissions to most areas, including fan club shows like the film festival, costume contest, Hasbro and other vendor events with seating.

$60 - 4 days, general admission pack - let's you into the dealer rooms, fan club stores, vendor floors, and to tour the collections and other walking events. Sure, trade other fans or buy special event tickets off them at a one-per-event basis, but no extra seats will be held for you.

Single day admissions:

$22.50 for all-access, single day
$18.75 for fan club tour pass, single day
$15.00 for gen. admission, single day

Single-day payers, for all-access or fan club passes, must still obtain their free tickets to the events they want to attend, on a first-come/first-served basis.

Just like a movie-theater, when an event is sold out, it is SOLD OUT.

stillakid
02-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Yes, that all works for regular ticket purchasers, but for those guys and gals who volunteered their time to show up in costume (to add to the atmosphere of the event) they were "given" admission and promised other advantages in exchange for providing security and doing other chores. Because those promises weren't fulfilled, they either missed out on events altogether or had to stand in line like everyone else. The result this time is, from talking with some of those that did it, is that they won't do that again. I'm sure the 501st will still get a sizable number of volunteers to help out but it was so screwed up for them last time that they are going to lose a bunch as well. It wasn't fair what happened to them and without somebody taking the lead to fix it, they'll end up with another group of unhappy Stormtroopers.

darth maul rat
02-01-2004, 07:29 PM
As an Indy resident, I am glad that Tycho liked our fair city so much. I would be ticked about his figure raids if I didn't do it every time I visit another city.

One thing though. In point #25 you commented that the RCA dome is nearby so you can catch a game or concert. The dome is primarily used for the Colts, so you would have to go on down the road to Conseco Fieldhouse to see a game in April, (the Pacers) and a lot of the concerts tend to go there as well. I was amazed at CII when I walked past the entrance to the Dome floor and saw it was still done up as a football field (since the colts had not played a game there since the prededing December.)

Other than that, you pretty much got everything right. Hopefully you will get out of San Diego before Aquaman 15 happens.

See ya in April...

-jim (the ratt)

Tycho
02-01-2004, 10:22 PM
What's Aquaman 15?

darth maul rat
02-02-2004, 09:58 PM
What's Aquaman 15?

In the next issue of Aquaman (on sale February 11, kids!) a devastating earthquake hits San Diego and causes a big tidal wave that essentially floods the city, giving Aquaman issues of fun digging through ruins and finding survivors. You have been warned.

-jim (the ratt)

Tycho
02-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Oh no! I live in San Diego! My Star Wars collection....

Well, I don't pay much attention to Aquaman. But I'm a huge fan of Smallville. Do you think Clark knows Aquaman so he can help him? Aren't they all Super Friends?

What should I do?

darth maul rat
02-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Oh no! I live in San Diego! My Star Wars collection....

Well, I don't pay much attention to Aquaman. But I'm a huge fan of Smallville. Do you think Clark knows Aquaman so he can help him? Aren't they all Super Friends?

What should I do?

Actually the only reason that I know about it is I was flipping through the Comic Shop News, a freebie that comic shops give out, and there was a big two-page spread talking about it. And then right after that I see you posting from, lo and behold, San Diego.

As for what you should do, I would suggest double-bagging everything and learn to tread water or to hold your breath.

I am amazed DC is using a real city this time. They destroyed Coastal City or something like that years ago.

-jim (the ratt)

bobafrett
02-04-2004, 01:51 AM
Let me say that CII was my first and only convention I attended. I mean other than Wizard World here in Chicago, but that was mostly just on Sunday, up until this past one when I worked/volunteered for Piazo. Back to my point, CII was my first real convention. I was new to the 501st, and was only doing my second appearance in armor. I was talked into volunteering for "badge check". I missed much of the convention, but I was also given my admission price back sine I worked 4 hours each day. Sunday I got up early for the photo shoot on the stairs of the RCA dome, in my armor. I was hoping to get into the line for Carrie Fishers autograph before they let the fan club members in. Not that I minded standing in line, but I was in my armor, and my hotel was several blocks away. Anyway, we finished the photo shoot, I get down to the bottom of the stairs just as they let everyone in, so I ended up way back in the line. First I gort into the line for the Jorge Sacul figure, but soon realized I was in the wrong line. I waited 6 hours to get Carries autograph, then I had to walk back to the hotel in armor to drop off the signed photo, then turn around still in armor to fufill my last hours at the costume contest late Sunday afternoon. I finished with that, only to come down and find that the convention was over, and they were tearing down the rooms. I had no set plan outside my scheduled hours to work/volunteer. I did miss the prop/costume room I didn't even realize it, until someone posted pictures. I'm signing up again this year, just because. I'll have to hit the treadmills soon, as I've put on 40 pounds since CII.

Tycho
02-04-2004, 02:43 AM
It's great that you volunteer and all of us fans love to admire the Imperials in armor.

However, don't ever do that to yourself again! You missed all the fun of the Convention and made yourself miserable it sounds like.

Autographs and action figures are not the reason to come to spend 4-5 days over out of town for a convention!

If you're determined, in the amount of time you spent walking around in your armor, you could have comfortably contacted autograph services and gotten your Sacul figure off e-Bay for a reasonable price, all from your computer at home, after you returned from a great weekend.

Sorry if I sound preachy or something. Really, all I want is for you to have as great of time as I did - or even better! I hope this convention, that'll come to pass for you!

stillakid
02-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Autographs and action figures are not the reason to come to spend 4-5 days over out of town for a convention!

You keep saying that, but I disagree. No, autographs and action figures are not the reason to go to a convention, however they are part of the reason for going. Otherwise, why would they A) be offered and B) have such long lines. One person's priorities for "fun" are different from another's.

Not only does the "EBay option" take some of the point of going to the convention away, but it only fuels the continuing problem of convention goers scalping their way to a free ticket. If any item is offered as a convention exclusive, the distribution system can't reasonably run like it's a Toys R Us. When someone purchases a ticket, they should be able to check a box or two which states whether they want the exclusive(s) or not. At the time of payment, they include a pre-payment for the item(s) along with the ticket price. The person's name and corresponding ticket number is entered into a computer. Then, when the ticket is redeemed at the gate, the number is checked to see what item(s) that "ticket" has paid for and the purchaser picks up his exclusives right then, right there. The other option is to deliver the exclusives via mail prior to the event so that the person A) doesn't have to carry them around and B) isn't compelled to visit the event if all they wanted was the exclusive(s). They still cost the user the price of the exclusive + one ticket admission for each exclusive ordered so there will likely be enough available for everyone.

As far as the autographs go, again, how many opportunities does someone from po-dunk USA (or elsewhere) have to meet their favorite celebrity? That's part of the convention experience for some people. The tough part of that is there is only one of each celebrity to go around, so if the person wants a personalized autograph and their 20 seconds next to the limelight, then they have to wait in a line. But the celebrities are people too and 6+ hours in a chair signing autographs is a lot to expect from anyone. To alleviate the pressure on everyone, there should be a set number of people allowed in line per day. Say, Carrie will only sign 480 pictures a day (that's 1 minute per person for 8 hours). So the event organizers keep a count of who gets in (and out of) line all day long. That way, nobody gets screwed by waiting in vain because they're at the back of the line. Plus, based on the number that the "line moderator" gives them, they can make a value judgment on whether it'll be worth the time for them. If so, great. If not, they can make the decision to try back later or give it up and go see everything else.

But to just disregard some "fandom" experiences doesn't make sense to me. The event organizers can't just toss some stuff in a room and shrug their shoulders with excuses. Knowing the challenges, they should get their heads out of their behinds and work for their money. Lord knows it costs enough. They have the responsibility to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone no matter what their priorities are.

Tycho
02-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Once in a while Stillakid makes pretty good sense.

stillakid
02-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Once in a while Stillakid makes pretty good sense.

Well, I know that I always do, but you know better than I that you can't fight city hall. :D But thanks anyhow. :) If you have some connections, maybe you could pass on some suggestions posted here to the powers that be so that at least an honest attempt is made to fix the recurring problems with these kinds of events.

dr_evazan22
02-04-2004, 07:18 PM
I got burned waiting in a few lines myself, but what made THAT fun was meeting other conventioneers, a number of whom were from my area.

Good suggestions Stilla.

The 'Xir
02-10-2004, 03:26 AM
HELLO OUT THERE!!! I know I'm not the only New Yorker that visits these forums, though we are few and far between, but am I the only New Yorker that wants to go to CelebrationIII?!!! Can I hear from my peeps?! Does anybody want to try to get together and make a road trip of of this? Hell I'll even entertain thoughts from anybody else East of me, Mass! VT! NH! ME! CONN! RI? Anyone?!!! What about you Dr Evazan22, Hell I might even make the 5 hr trip down to Delaware If you end up being the closest to me! I drive through Wilmington all the time to get to my parents house on the Eastern shore of Mayrland!

Anyone? hello? someone...Bueller? :stupid:

dr_evazan22
02-10-2004, 09:49 AM
I ended up driving out to C2 with my brother, and will probably do the same for C3. I think it would be great to get a SW carpool going 'Xir!

The 'Xir
02-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I didn't think it was a bad Idea! I figured we all could get like 5 to 10 people to rent a 10-15 passenger van unless somone has a van already or hell maybe even a winnebago or something they'd be willing to lend to the effort! :D Also as a group we might be able to get a package deal at a motel/hotel and share expenses to get out there and stuff! Once were there hell we can all go our seperate ways and do whatever we want for all I care or can explore the whole thing as a group It doesn't really matter to me, but I figured it would make it fun for everyone, and get to meet fellow fans/ssg'ers!
You'd think that with the 330 people that have viewed this thread as of this post there'd be somone from New York, but ya never know, but I appreciate your willingnes DR! I think my profile is updated so email me at my web(aol) address and maybe we can exchange info to get the ball rolling! I also got a friend in Boston I haven't called yet, I'm sure he'd be interested in going!
Let's party!!! :D

Darth Kirk
02-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Hey, what about me here in Los Angeles... I wanna go tooo :cry: Seriously though, if we can congregate by region and go that would kick arse, since we all would benefit from group rates.. So who wants to get this started.. How could we get it started? Ok, like we can start a few threads, like West Coast Celebration III and East coast etc.. and then have people within those threads talk to one another..

The 'Xir
02-11-2004, 01:07 AM
I'd pick ya up DK, but I think it's just a tad bit the round about way to Indy from Syracuse!
Well, there's a whole lot more of you west coast guys on this site, than East Coast, so You shouldn't have any trouble finding rides to hitch from LA DK!
I'm already starting to PM people and then have them email me or I them, to exchange detailed info so we can hopefully plan something! Maybe you can do the same for the west coast guys!

Hey SirSteve or JT? Any progress as far as getting an esablishment within Indy where all the SSG'ers can meet for.. dare I say... a PARTY!!!!! :crazed:

Kidhuman
02-11-2004, 01:14 AM
East coast eh? SInce the good Dr lives in Deleware he sounds like a meeting point for us. Ilive in Va but wouldnt mind meeting up somewhere to get a car pool going. Would be kinda neat and all. But the only question is who is gonna be the designated driver?

bobafrett
02-11-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm glad I live a short 3 1/2 hour drive to Indy. Any further away, and I'd have to maybe cancel my plans to attend!

bobafett07728
02-11-2004, 11:36 AM
This will be my first Celebration. I wanted to go to the first two, but being from the east coast it was tough. My older brother is coming along with his wife and two kids. I'm REALLY looking forward to it. Should be a great time, and fun to meet all of you guys.

The autograph topic is a tough one for me. I hardly ever get opportunities to "meet the stars," so I'll be interested in getting a lot of them. Luckilly, I'm going with people that have volunteered to wait in lines for me. I'm actually trying to scope out ways to meet some of the actors that may be there before the Celebration. This way I won't have to worry about them when I'm in Indianapolis.

The 'Xir
02-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Well, I drive for a living doing b2b sales, so driving isn't a big deal to me, as a matter of fact the last three "big city" roadtrips I went on with my friends(New York, Pittsburgh, and Washington) I drove the whole time on each! The only thing is if we do get a few people together on this, I only have a Dodge Stratus, so it's 5 with lugage for me, so if somone's got something reliable that's bigger that would be cool, and like I said maybe if we can all get together on this we can share some expenses like Hotels, and maybe renting a van or something! I have our business van also, that has a lot of room in it but why it does is because it has no rear seats, but in a worst case scenario I could always use that, as long as my business partners are cool with us SW geeks partying in Indy with it... :ermm: ..better yet forget I ever said anything about the company van! :p :D

bobafrett
02-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Well after driving to Florida and back from the Chicago area 5 times over the past year and a half, I'm tired of driving, not to mention all the driving I do in my part time job delivering pizza for a little extra money. I was only kidding though, hey, if I had to drive to California for CIII, and I could afford to do so, I would. After missing out on the first celebration, but attending the CII, I wouldn't miss CIII if at all possible. I mean where else are you going to find that many Star Wars fans together?

jedihunter25
02-14-2004, 05:34 AM
April 21-24 2005??? Usually it's in the first week of May. I hope they don't have Midnight Madness on any of them dates. Can you imagine Midnight Madness during Celebration 3? Can we say RIOTS!!!!

Darth Kirk
02-14-2004, 06:02 AM
YUP.. Riots, looting.. fighting over the last special-uber-edition mini bust of molten lava damaged Anakin with removable Vader mask.. hoooeeee, I can hear them sirens comin' for me now ...etc. etc.. :crazed: :crazed:

The real Luke
02-25-2004, 03:38 AM
Lucky me I only live an hour away. I will probably get a hotel room though cause I don't want to have to drive back and forth. I hope steve has an SSG party, I know I haven't been around long but the people I have talked to it would be great to meet a few of you.

Sentinel18725
02-27-2004, 09:28 AM
I thorougly enjoyed CII....it was one of the most friendly times in my life. All of these people, in one place, because of their love for the same thing. Everyone knew that is what they had in common. No egos. No closet case Star Wars fans, just plain and simple good will.....I will be returning again.

Is there anyway to get suggestions to the Convention people? I think that the celebration store needs to be handled better? You stand in line to get into a room, to stand in line again. Then, after you buy your two limited figures, you can slide into the next line and buy again. Lots of things were sold out on day 2......some T-shirts, collection of event tags...

maybe do a preorder and then you can pick them up......still stand in line if there are other things that you wont..but it would be a good way to cut some of the traffic. Or, have exclusive tags or tickets to give for your exclusives (pins, figures, etc.) Just some suggestions.

Also, if anyone is looking for a good place to eat there, get reservations for St. Elmo's Steakhouse (no Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez,or Allie Sheedy) :D They are near the convention center and have some of the best steak that I have ever had.....get the shrimp cocktail...they are known for it....but be careful....some of the strongest horseradish sauce that I have ever tasted......high dollar end place, but excellent.....YUMMY!

SirSteve
03-08-2004, 01:47 PM
I am still looking for someone local to help organize a SSG party during C3. Anyone willing to help out? If so, please e-mail me.

jedimastergeorge
03-08-2004, 06:11 PM
is those prices for celebration 3 offical or is it guessing cause i need some kind of guess of how much its going to cost so i can save up.
thanks
george

JEDIpartner
03-12-2004, 04:06 PM
I'd love to help out if I had any indication that I would be going. My partner and I are planning on attending but that depends on our financial situation at the time the tickets/passes go on sale.

bobafrett
03-13-2004, 02:08 AM
I wouldn't mind helping with the planning if I knew for certain if I was going. I just got my job back at Wal-Mart, which means I will have the vacation time to use, but money might be tight. Also I may be volunteering to do badge check, as I don't have a clue on what to do at these conventions. If it wasn't for the standing around in my armor at CII, or waiting in line to get Carrie Fishers autograph, or to get the Jorge Sacul figure, I would have been a lost puppy. I'll have a better idea when we get closer to the date.

The 'Xir
03-21-2004, 03:44 PM
I thought I read that some of you have already made room reservations at the Westin(which is right there at CelebrationIII). However when I called, they say that those dates(4/21-24 2005) aren't even in the system yet to give reservations for!!! Am I missing something? Let me know, 'cause I'd like to stay there as I'm sure many of us do! I wonder what will be tougher to get, midnight madness figures or hotel rooms!!! ;)

Kidhuman
03-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Hotel rooms of course. Midnight Madness figs are easy to get.

JEDIpartner
03-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Didn't they state that all of the info and reservations would be annouced mid- to late-summer?

The real Luke
03-22-2004, 12:45 PM
I could care less when they announce it (j/k) I am getting a room as soon as I can. When did the westin say you could make reservations?

OC47150
03-22-2004, 04:42 PM
You have to take out a second mortgage to eat at St. Elmo's, Sentinel! My buddy and I passed on St. Elmo's for that reason, even though we hear it's good.

Still, a lot of good places to eat at Circle Centre Mall and surrounding area.

Dar' Argol
03-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I didn't think it was a bad Idea! I figured we all could get like 5 to 10 people to rent a 10-15 passenger van unless somone has a van already or hell maybe even a winnebago or something they'd be willing to lend to the effort! :D Also as a group we might be able to get a package deal at a motel/hotel and share expenses to get out there and stuff! Once were there hell we can all go our seperate ways and do whatever we want for all I care or can explore the whole thing as a group It doesn't really matter to me, but I figured it would make it fun for everyone, and get to meet fellow fans/ssg'ers!
You'd think that with the 330 people that have viewed this thread as of this post there'd be somone from New York, but ya never know, but I appreciate your willingnes DR! I think my profile is updated so email me at my web(aol) address and maybe we can exchange info to get the ball rolling! I also got a friend in Boston I haven't called yet, I'm sure he'd be interested in going!
Let's party!!! :D

So hows about a guy from PA??? My buddy and I were planning on road tripping out to Indy for this, it be better with a bunch of people.

And also, where would be a good cheep place to stay in Indy?? I have no clue at all . . .

bobafrett
03-23-2004, 12:50 AM
I thought I read that some of you have already made room reservations at the Westin(which is right there at CelebrationIII). However when I called, they say that those dates(4/21-24 2005) aren't even in the system yet to give reservations for!!! Am I missing something? Let me know, 'cause I'd like to stay there as I'm sure many of us do! I wonder what will be tougher to get, midnight madness figures or hotel rooms!!! ;)

From what I understand, you won't be able to make reservations this far in advance. I think you have to wait until around a year before your expected stay time. :eek: :confused: Does that sound right? I'm sure there will be some major news when the time comes around to being able to make a reservation. I don't remember who or what group contacted me about making reservations, I think it was the fan club, because I got a SW fan club membership lanyard that let me in the building an hour earlier than those with just regular lanyards.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-02-2004, 11:06 PM
A love the idea of a big gathering of forumites from SirSteves during Celebration III. It'll be nice to see a face behind some of the characters that we have here. It sounds definitely like a once-in-a-lifetime event, and one that I would love to attend. I have been in discussion with a few forumites, Kidhuman and The 'Xir,' and I would most love to attend.

Currently, the trip is in the planning stages and being so far, I have some variables to consider before I could commit to going, most importantly being potential employment. The teaching field frowns on those who take a vacation during the school year, unless of course it happens during time off. Right now, I am hoping to land a full-time position for next year, but if I don't (an employment in my neck of the woods sucks, coupled with a sagging economy, doesn't look good :frus: ) I would be available to attend.

Either way, I am hoping SirSteves will represent well at Celebration III with a large turnout.

The 'Xir
04-04-2004, 03:37 AM
So hows about a guy from PA??? My buddy and I were planning on road tripping out to Indy for this, it be better with a bunch of people.

Sounds Great Dar 'Argol!!! We might have finally found our meeting point!!! We have guys from Virginia, Delaware, and New York(and more) all interested in doing something like this so Pa might be a good meeting point! Where exactly in PA do ya live? I work once in awhile and have customers in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Dickson City areas! So I can meet up with ya whenever from now til then and we can figure something out! Or If your more in western PA, It would then be easier for me to pick up LBC, and then go down to meet you guys! Let us know!

As far as the cheapest hotel? Well that's part the reason on getting a bunch of people together for this! Not only can we split up the price of our rooms, but probably can get a group rate to boot!!! I'll see if my business partners we allow me to use the company credit card so we can get a corporate rate, but be sure they will demand to get paid! Even if I don't end up staying at the Westin(although I'd like to) I have a friend in the Hotel business, and I'm going to ask her if her chain has any locations or sister locations within the Indy area, and I'll also check with her on getting a conference room to maybe hold the SSG'er party!!! :crazed:

ROAD TRIP!!! :cool:

Dar' Argol
04-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Sounds Great Dar 'Argol!!! We might have finally found our meeting point!!! We have guys from Virginia, Delaware, and New York(and more) all interested in doing something like this so Pa might be a good meeting point! Where exactly in PA do ya live? I work once in awhile and have customers in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Dickson City areas! So I can meet up with ya whenever from now til then and we can figure something out! Or If your more in western PA, It would then be easier for me to pick up LBC, and then go down to meet you guys! Let us know!

As far as the cheapest hotel? Well that's part the reason on getting a bunch of people together for this! Not only can we split up the price of our rooms, but probably can get a group rate to boot!!! I'll see if my business partners we allow me to use the company credit card so we can get a corporate rate, but be sure they will demand to get paid! Even if I don't end up staying at the Westin(although I'd like to) I have a friend in the Hotel business, and I'm going to ask her if her chain has any locations or sister locations within the Indy area, and I'll also check with her on getting a conference room to maybe hold the SSG'er party!!! :crazed:

ROAD TRIP!!! :cool:

ROAD TRIIIIIIIIIIIIPPP!!!!!

I'm about 30 minutes from Gettysburg, but I can meet anywhere. I got a buddy that's not on this site who wants to go too, so he'll be along as well. We'll need to figure out if we're getting a vehical or what . . and where we're gonna stay.

Tolga! Tolga! Tol . . . er . . I mean ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP!!! :D

Kidhuman
04-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Is Gettysburg near 81 and how far into Pa is it?

Dar' Argol
04-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Gettysburg is near Rt 15 and Rt 30. If you take 15N it takes you up to Harrisburg . . which 81 goes right through. If you follow 30W it takes you out past York, Lancaster, and I think into West Chester.

Kidhuman
04-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Just punched it up on mapquest to getysburg. You actually arent that farfromme. Its 81 straight up, so meeting up there isnt so bad. :beard:

hango fett
04-12-2004, 08:22 PM
my father and i are definitly going. anyone have a clue when tickets to it go on sale or don't they have tickets??
???
HF

OC47150
04-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Last thing I read was later this summer.

OC47150
04-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Anyone booked rooms yet?

I read on one SW website that one of the big hotels close to the convention center is already booked (which I find hard to believe unless it's for staffers, guests, etc...)

The hotel I stayed at for C2 isn't taking reservations for another two weeks.

Dar' Argol
05-03-2004, 09:45 PM
The 'Xir, kidhuman, others near me. My boss at work suggested a coach or tour bus. He gave me a name of a company . . I got to look it up and find costs and what not, but it might be a good idea . . . maybe if we can get a rate cute for filling the bus or something. Its somethign to think about anyways. And they can do the hotel booking and get better prices. I'll LYK when I got more info.

JEDIpartner
05-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Okay... I'm probably going to Celebration III by myself. Which of you hos wants to meet up there with me? lol

The 'Xir
06-06-2004, 03:45 PM
sorry I haven't been around in awhile, but my computer got a virus, I'm still working on hotel deals with some friends of mine in the industry! I'm still working on a possible site for the SSG party as well, if a place hasn't been determined! Keep ya updated! I'd say more but gotta go! :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Okay... I'm probably going to Celebration III by myself. Which of you hos wants to meet up there with me? lol

I look forward to seeing the multitude of personalities that we have here on SSG, if I can make it there.

FYI, for Brent. I can get to Syracuse in about two hours from here if I fly down the Interstate. I know cuz I timed it on a trip to Albany at the beginning of the month. Something to think about for the future.

The 'Xir
07-08-2004, 01:50 PM
2hrs and 10min to be exact LBC ;) I'm a traveling salesman remember! :D And actualy that's from exit 34A here in Syracue to the Main st exit in Buffalo!
And from Syracuse it's about 41/2 hrs to delawre - Dr Evazan
5 hrs to Gettysburg - Dar' Argol
6 hrs to most anywhere in MD
61/2 -7 hrs Beltway/Virginia - Kidhuman :beard:

We could all meet up in Gettysburg with Dar'Argol! LBC could meet me here in Syracuse, and then we could either pick up Dr. Evazan & Co in DE or meet everyone in Gettysburg then take 70W into Ohio and meet with JediPartner in Ohio then onto C3!

Or I could pickup LBC in Buffalo and the rest of you could meet in Gettysburg, and then we could all meet at Jedi Partner's in Ohio then onto CIII in the 'short' bus ;) :crazed:

what do you guys think? Is everyone who I mentioned above still planning on going? Did I forget anyone who wants to join the roadtrip?

I have a virus free computer again, so I can be online more often now, and help coordinate things better! Let me know, we'll all have to start getting serious about wether we're going to do this or not soon, 'cause 9 months till Aprial' 05 will go by quicker than you think! Need to get a hold of me, Email me: al45sixsir@aol.com and I'll hook anyone up with my info including my new cell phone#
cheers! :)

Kidhuman
07-10-2004, 12:15 AM
I just booked my room. HOOOO-RAHHHHHHHH!!!!

All the hotels in town were booked up already. Got one about 12 miles out of town. I will see you punks there.

Kidhuman
07-10-2004, 12:28 AM
OKay, how or where do you get the tickets now?

dr_evazan22
07-10-2004, 02:37 PM
KH - I don't quite remember where I read it, but I saw an aonline article saying that a few downtown hotels had reserved large blocks of rooms for the con, and that those rooms would be made available when the tix are available. So it'spossible you can get a closer room then.

Now that I think about it, I believe it came from SW.com, already deleted tho.

When the time comes, so we can all meet up together and go together, your all welcome to stay here, since I seem kind of centrally located in that group. BTW, driving was about 9 hrs from here, and we were able to avoid most of I76 (tolls) in PA. We took I70 thru MD, great scenic route, pretty direct. Took us N into PA just W of Pittsburgh.

Kidhuman
07-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I looked at the prices of the hotels in town and they are 150 plus a night. I got my room for 5 days and just over 300. I dont mind taking a 10 minute ride each day to the convention area, for a savings of 700 bucks. :D.

Ook
07-20-2004, 03:23 PM
I did the first two and I'm in for III!

gsr-jedi
08-03-2004, 09:50 PM
I had so much fun at Comic-Con, I definitely want to go to this. I'm hoping some rooms nearby will be made available, cause of this from Star Wars Celebration - "Online ordering for admission to the event and for discounted hotel rooms is scheduled to begin late this summer". I think I heard tickets will go on sale in September.

If I can't get close, does anybody know of any rental agencies that will rent to someone 22? I thought you had to be 25, but I may be wrong. If not, I'll need to find a way to get to there everyday.

OC47150
08-04-2004, 09:39 AM
If you don't mind driving 15 - 20 minutes one way, there are plenty of hotels on the outskirts of town at reasonable rates.

JEDIpartner
08-04-2004, 04:54 PM
I just booked a room for 4 nights and the hotel is an EconoLodge, located 5 miles south of the Centre. Each night is only $39.99 through www.hotels.com !!!!

Kidhuman
08-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Nice deal JP. See you there.

JEDIpartner
08-05-2004, 03:23 AM
You bet!!!

Dar' Argol
08-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Ok, call me lasy, but can someone get me a list of some of the hotels there . . . or the Zip code or something so I can see about getting a place to saty. Thanx in advance!

OC47150
08-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Here are a couple of zip codes for Indy: 46201, 46202, 46203, 46204, 46205, 46206, 46207, 46208.

gsr-jedi
08-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Also, if you google the Indianapolis Convention Center or the RCA Dome, you should be able to go to it's website and they've got the address there. Most hotel sites will allow you to enter an address and choose the places closest. That's how I got my room at the Marriott; I think I'm staying about .4~.5 miles away. It's about a block and a half away.

JEDIpartner
09-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Just under 3 hours before the on-sale!!!! :)

bobafett07728
09-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Just under 3 hours before the on-sale!!!! :)

WooHOO!!!! Glad I'm not the only one counting down. I hope everything goes smoothly when it goes live.

JEDIpartner
09-27-2004, 01:41 PM
I know... Me, too! Just a little over one-hour!!!

Darth Grifter
09-27-2004, 02:53 PM
yeah, it's a little slow on the upload. i'm having some trouble accessing there page. i'm sure the servers are swamped...

bobafett07728
09-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Ditto. I keep getting cannot find server errors. . .

Looks like I'll be busy for a while :rolleyes:

Darth Grifter
09-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Ditto. I keep getting cannot find server errors. . .

Looks like I'll be busy for a while :rolleyes:
yeah, the crap thing for me is that i leave for work at 1:15 and won't be back until tonight. i'm not worried about selling out; i just want to know before i go...ya' know...:D

JEDIpartner
09-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Same... LOL

I am hitting "refresh" just to see if I can find a way in! Best of luck to you all!!!

Darth Grifter
09-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Same... LOL

I am hitting "refresh" just to see if I can find a way in! Best of luck to you all!!!
looks like i'll be heading to work with no pass :( ...alas, i'll have to have my wife continue the clicking when she gets home from work. oh well...

jonthejedi
09-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Alas...I keep getting busy or broken server, too. I'm not worried about getting tickets, but I wanted a crack at a "skywalk" hotel next door to the convention ctr., because we have a physically challenged child. Who knows how many rooms they have blocked off for us all??!

JEDIpartner
09-27-2004, 04:20 PM
I got to the registration page and then the there was a failure on their end. i got back to that page and was able to create and account. The software failed again after I filled in all of the fields. :rolleyes:

bobafett07728
09-27-2004, 04:22 PM
I got to the registration page and then the there was a failure on their end. i got back to that page and was able to create and account. The software failed again after I filled in all of the fields. :rolleyes:

Not 100% sure if I've successfully made an account yet. . . keep geting failures. . . UGH!!!!!! :mad:

jonthejedi
09-27-2004, 04:23 PM
...thats as far as I got...I did get an email with an account ID...'cept now I can't get thru to register for badges.

bobafett07728
09-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Alas...I keep getting busy or broken server, too. I'm not worried about getting tickets, but I wanted a crack at a "skywalk" hotel next door to the convention ctr., because we have a physically challenged child. Who knows how many rooms they have blocked off for us all??!

I agree. . . I'm more concerned with the hotel arrangements than tickets.

bobafett07728
09-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Well I just got an email confirmation. . . I guess I'm making some progress. :rolleyes:

bobafett07728
09-27-2004, 07:31 PM
This is bull#$&#!!!! I finally get to the point where I can purchase a badge, and I can only get one!?!?!?! I have to go through all this nonsense for each badge I want (that is if this one even goes through!?!?) Why can't I just get them all at once!?!?!?!

This is ridiculous!!

JEDIpartner
09-27-2004, 08:29 PM
It's about bloody time!!!! I finally got my badges and my little Darth Vader "topper"... :)

Good luck, boys!

SirSteve
09-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Mary Franklin, Fan Event Specialist for Lucasfilm, has commented on the situation:

A rumor made its way back to me that all the hotel rooms in the Celebration III block were booked. That is absolutely not true. I just got the live 4:00 PM report (it's 4:19 now) and almost all the rooms are still available. People have been booking, but there are many, many left.

Tens of thousands of people will be able to go to Celebration III. We sold tickets for Celebration II from September right up through the show itself. We have more hotel rooms reserved than we did for Celebration II. I do think people may book those farther in advance than they did last time, but there are still more available.

Hopefully later tonight and tomorrow the site will slow down a bit and people will be able to make their orders more quickly.

Thanks very much for your patience, everyone.
I'm really looking forward to Celebration! Hope to see you all there.

Jedi Teacher
09-27-2004, 09:29 PM
I still haven't been able to get my badges, though in a bizarre twist, I did get my hotel reservation. All the skywalk hotels appear to be gone, for those of you that were hoping for one. On the hotel reservation page, the hyatt, westin and marriot weren't even listed anymore.

bobafett07728
09-27-2004, 09:37 PM
I still haven't gotten through, and now I can't get past the first page. I keep getting this software error. This sucks royally. Now I hear that they skywalk hotels are booked. Great! I'm glad that I had spent all day pressing the refresh button on my browser. Complete bull@#$@&!!! Called the hotels, and they told me that I was S.O.L., and could only get tickets through the site. I am supremely dissapointed about this. At least one of us has been able to get tickets. :(

Dialogus
09-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Damn!

Can't believe it's still that bad after 8 hours...

CooLJoE
09-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Well crap. I need to get registered and get a hotel room, but before that I gotta sign up for the FanClub. And right now, the FanClub signup page keeps kicking me back to the signup page, rather than completing the purchase.

hango fett
09-28-2004, 07:04 AM
my father got registered. i think he registered me, too. we had some of the problems oyu guys are talking about last night. but now, apparently, is the time to do it!
HF

JEDIpartner
09-28-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm not going for those hotel rooms. They are far too expensive for "just a place to sleep". I'm glad I got my $40/night EconoLodge deal just 5 minutes away! :p I don't know about all of you but I plan on seeing some of the nightlife while I am there. :evil:

J/K on ":evil:"...

bobafett07728
09-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Well, I would've rather not had to stay up until midnight. . . but I finally got registered, and got a hotel room. Now, I just have to count the days until the Celebration begins. I don't know about you, but once I was finally confirmed I was like. . ."wooHOO!!!! Now bring on the updates!!!! Who's going, what special events are planed, etc.?!?!?!?"

I know that none of this stuff will be updated ANYTIME in the near future, but now I can't wait to hear. A couple days ago, I really wasn't too concerned with the events. . . but now. . . :D

I'm SOOOOOOO excited!!!! :crazed:

JEDIpartner
09-28-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm feelin' it, too!

OC47150
09-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Having a hotel room nearby (within a block) does come in handy if you have to drop stuff off or want a quick bathroom/rest break.

bobafett07728
09-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Having a hotel room nearby (within a block) does come in handy if you have to drop stuff off or want a quick bathroom/rest break.

Agreed. I recently went to a Video Game Convention, and was lucky enough to stay in the same vacinity. It was so convenient that I vowed to always try to stay close to the event. Its so easy for quick breaks, meals, bathroom breaks, or just to drop off some stuff. It is also great for those going in costume, that would like to make a "quick change."

I told my brother I'd stay in my car if I had too, but we were able to get a hotel room. I was going to be in Indianapolis for this regardless!!!! :D

JEDIpartner
09-28-2004, 12:19 PM
I guess that's just the traveler in me who isn't so concerned with such things. I was treated to far more inconvenient things when I was with my band and traveling 'round the globe. We were far too resourceful for our own good! :p

Darth Grifter
09-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Agreed. I recently went to a Video Game Convention, and was lucky enough to stay in the same vacinity. It was so convenient that I vowed to always try to stay close to the event. Its so easy for quick breaks, meals, bathroom breaks, or just to drop off some stuff. It is also great for those going in costume, that would like to make a "quick change."

I told my brother I'd stay in my car if I had too, but we were able to get a hotel room. I was going to be in Indianapolis for this regardless!!!! :D
yeah, i'm sprung between getting a close hotel for a lot of money or staying farther away and getting a rental car...since i'm coming from oregon, i don't see any other choices really. i'm also flying han solo on this one so footing the 700 bones for a close hotel for 5 nights is a little shady...

JEDIpartner
09-28-2004, 01:31 PM
You have message, Grifter...

hango fett
09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
wow...i am getting excited too! only.....around 200 days or so.

HF

Darth Grifter
09-28-2004, 03:59 PM
thanks partnr...i'm still looking around. hopefully i'll have a reply from some guys tonight and lock down a place tomorrow...pm'd you back...

JEDIpartner
09-28-2004, 04:03 PM
You're quite welcome...!

hango fett
09-28-2004, 07:17 PM
my dad booked a hotel room at the hilton a couple of blocks away! hope to see someone there!
HF

CooLJoE
09-28-2004, 08:24 PM
jedipartnr - think you can send me the info? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it would be nice to have that place as an option.

CooLJoE
10-06-2004, 02:46 AM
*follow up*

I finally got time (and money) to order my 4-day pass for the show and booked tickets at a hotel. I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, 5 blocks away. Not too bad really. Only other choices were 6 miles away. I wish I could have gotten in on the skyway-linked ones, but oh well.

Where is everyone else staying?

greengoblin3825
10-13-2004, 02:09 AM
We're going (wife, brother, myself) my wife wants to know what else there is to do in Indianapolis besides the convention(heh...like that's gonna happen) :D :crazed: