PDA

View Full Version : Got a Question........

Kidhuman
01-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Ijust bought a few Lego sets on clearance and such, and my step-son got Slave 1 for hid b-day. I want toput them together and all, but with kids and animals running around, they will get knockled over and break. What kind of glue is best to hold em together, Krazy Glue or regular Elmers?

LusiferSam
01-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Gluing Lego bricks together I think is one of the worst ideas. The only advice I can give is you need think very hard about gluing them together. After all the whole point of Lego bricks is that they can be taken apart and put back. I wouldn't dream of gluing my Legos. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Turbowars
01-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Ijust bought a few Lego sets on clearance and such, and my step-son got Slave 1 for hid b-day. I want toput them together and all, but with kids and animals running around, they will get knockled over and break. What kind of glue is best to hold em together, Krazy Glue or regular Elmers? I used crazy glue to glue some legos to one of my custom SW dios and noticed it melts the bricks, so don't use Crazy glue. You should find out what kind of plactic Lego uses and go from there. I doubt Elmers would work, unless they make a platic glue. The best thing to do is not do it at all. I think you will regret it if you do glue them together.

JediTricks
01-25-2004, 05:03 AM
Yeah, gluing is not a good idea because besides hampering the very concept of Lego building, most glue gets between the already very tight parts and forces them apart making the sets more fragile. I don't know what Lego uses for their pre-glued models though, but I'd think some sort of very thin epoxy. Make sure to test whatever you plan on using beforehand on a handful of pieces you can afford to throw away, and not just like a 5 minute test, but give it a week or 2.

Kidhuman
01-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Well, I glued the Star Destroyer and Shuttle together last night. I didnt glue every piece together, just the flat ones that lind up and were held to gether by a strip piece. I didnt glue Slave ! and I dont think I will after reading this. I used a glue gel on them. I iwlllet you guys know how it holds up. The ones that are glued are more for disply then playing with anyways.

The reason why I wanted toglue SLave 1 together is because my step-son, he is 6, will have it in shambles every five minutes and I dont fell like having a full time job of putting it together constantly. :D . He did that with the T-16 and it got on my nerves badly.

ACPin
01-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I personally don't advise gluing Lego models but if you feel that you must, try looking for a glue that's best for ABS plastic. For a six year old, you really should let him play with Duplo rather than Lego. Though I must admit that my sons played with Lego much earlier since they've been much more responsible with the pieces. Plus for them it was a challenge to build the sets faster the second time around.

Kidhuman
01-25-2004, 11:41 PM
I bought him the Lego Dooku and Yoda set once, real small for a test run and he destroyed it in 2 days. I said I would never buy him those for awhile. HIs b-day passed this week and my parents bouhght him Slave 1 and the T-16. I didnt glue his as he would make me buy him a knew one if it got messed up. But thanks for the advice. I only glued 2 sets and they areon clearance, so if they get messed up I'm not gonna sweat it.

Kidhuman
02-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Make sure to test whatever you plan on using beforehand on a handful of pieces you can afford to throw away, and not just like a 5 minute test, but give it a week or 2.

Well its been about 3 weeks or so and I see no signs of them pushing apart or seperating. Iused a gel glue, almost like epoxy. They seem to be holding up well.