View Full Version : UK Forumites Please Read

01-26-2004, 12:14 PM
I am going to London to cover the UK Toy Fair and need to know if I need any type of adapter for BROADBAND Internet connections. The US uses a RJ-45 plug. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

02-05-2004, 11:55 PM
well... i'm not from the UK, but i'm pretty sure i can answer some of the question...

the RJ-45 (ethernet) plug should be universal for all cable modems/dsl modems no matter the region, same as a USB port and plug is. (after all, USB stands for UNIVERSAL serial bus.) that coupled with the fact that the RJ-45 is based on common telephone wire, and i'm pretty sure they use the same kind of plug and wire for telephone in the UK.

it's probably the power adapter that will need to be different - they use a different aperage over there. you will probably also need to change your power supply's amperage switch to 220, as opposed to our domestic 115. i'm not even sure if this can be done with a laptop (assuming that's what you're using.) the wall socket plug will most likely be different, as well. i think it kinda looks like the air-conditioner sockets we use over here. i'm not completely familiar with that stuff, though...

02-06-2004, 05:21 AM
I'd love to help you out Steve, but unfortunatly I haven't got a clue :crazed::p.