PDA

View Full Version : Dagobah Wave

rust
01-27-2004, 09:34 AM
I was reading rebelscum a few days ago and I stumbled upon the news article about some one very trustworthy gave rebelscum info on the Dagobah wave containing Luke, Obi-Wan Ghost, Yoda, and R2. This wave seems just to be repaints. Whadda you think? (Sorry, I cant resist questions).
-rust
PS: I just Joined! *Confetti falls down*

JEDIpartner
01-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Welcome to SSG...

Yeah... we heard a similar report about a week back. It's possible that this will see production. Let's hope for all new sculpts on these. I would hope that they would take a little more care in this as they have with the Hoth wave.

DarthQuack
01-27-2004, 11:28 AM
I would have to agree. Seeing new sculpts are always good to see.

-Matt

Silent Chazz
01-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Yes, and this is a wonderful news.
Luke: This is the perfect chance for a Super Articulated Luke who can do a handstand (although there might be an ugly hole in his hand where to put him on a peg)
Obi-Ghost: Well, The first 2 Obi-Wan Ghosts were awful as they were non-articulated pieces of Blue plastic. I hope we see this figure done in a simular fashion to the recent Hologram Luke as we saw in the films that yes, Obi had a blue glow, BUT he still had normal coloration.
Yoda: Well, for one I liked the old POTF2 Headscult of Yoda so I hope this doesn't change much, however I'd like to see a two-legged Yoda with some bicep articulation similar to the Yoda & Chian figure set.
R2-Dirt2:Since we already got a dirty Artoo with the X-Wing set, I dont have much to say except that I hope this Artoo has a 3rd retractable leg.

angellus
01-27-2004, 04:18 PM
I don't see much of a need for a resculpted Yoda either, although it would be a nice nod back to the vintage line if Hasbro included a snake accessory. They definately need to mold the Obi-Wan in colored plastic like the Holographic Luke. The Frito-Lay Ghost of Obi-Wan was awful. It'd be very nice to see Dagobah Luke redone. They should give his hair that wet, matted-down look to simulate sweat. It would also be cool if he came with a removable holster--maybe even a removable jacket--to recreate the scene right before he heads into the cave. I suppose it would be nice to see a Dagobah R2-D2, although it would suck that I paid $40 just to get the one that shipped with the X-Wing!

Beast
01-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Nope, no repaints my friend. All new figures, that are seriously needed. Well, I can give or take on the R2. I posted what I'd like to see in the rumor thread a while back. Lemme pop that back in here. :)

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Jedi Spirit - As long as it's done similar to the Luke: Holographic. Where it's not just pure blue plastic. Mold him in muted colors, with a layer of blue over the outside. Same with the robes. Perfect Jedi Spirit figure. Yoda and Anakin need to be done this way also, before I'm ever really happy with them. They work, but this would be better.

Luke: Dagobah Training - This figure is defnatly needed. Since it would make up for the terrible POTF2 one. Hopefully he'd be able to do a handstand on his base. And have a magnet in his foot so Yoda could balance on him. Give him a soft rubber jacket and lightsaber. And don't forget the soft goods backpack so Yoda can ride on Luke's back and play backseat driver.

R2-D2: Dagobah/Yoda 2-Pack - Hopefully using the best R2-D2 sculpt, with an improved head sculpt. Make him nice and filthy, and pack him with the recharger lamp, crates, and ration kit. Give him a base that allows him to simulate being lifted by the force. Yoda would be an all new sculpt with soft goods robes, belt, snake, cane, and the little lamp he steals that R2 tries to take back. Give him a magnet in his foot so he can balance on Luke's foot.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
01-27-2004, 04:34 PM
I am hoping the dagobah r2 is the one that came with the x-wing. It is a shame to have to buy a vehicle just to get the figure (up coming red leader x wing). I had a x-wing with r2 but sold it because I did hear this rumor: there WILL BE a dagobah "dirty" r2. When this dagobah r2 comes out, I will have to get one. Here's to hoping! :D

jjreason
01-27-2004, 06:08 PM
A good Saga-style Dagobah Luke is a definite must have. Good news that this will come to pass.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Hopefully this will pan out. Yoda should have the food stick he chews on, plus five toes like the current Yodas (then I'll be happy). It'd be nice if he had a bed like in ROTJ, but it's unlikely since this is probably based on ESB. The other figures are fine, whatever, but I really want a new OT Yoda. :)

rust
01-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Well, Maybe a dirty R2 with a seethrough brown curvy-sticklike thingy that you could attach to him would be fine. But, I wouldn't but anything else because I have the POTF2 versions (I just need a new Artoo because when I was Five I got his leg ttuck inside him.)
-rust

Kidhuman
01-27-2004, 08:44 PM
A filthy R2 for dagobah is a must. I dont think we need a new Yoda for this scene either unless he comes with a Dagobah Playset. Luke would be welcome in my collection with open arms. As for being SA, why not? All figures should be SA from now on.

DarkArtist
01-28-2004, 12:23 PM
If Hasbro is going to release figures based on this Dagobah wave perhaps they will finally give us a soft goods backpack for Yoda to ride in, if nt perhaps an accessory for Luke woud be a possible pre-sculpted yoda in a backpack that looks realistic to the movie. A SA Luke would be the ultimate.
As for Yoda, possible to tie this one in with a new scuplt of the vintage Dagobah Playset, perhaps more detail and bigger, Yoda's hut, Dark Side Cave, Bog for X-Wing? The Dagobah set can be sold as individuals with exclusive figures attached.
R2-D2, unfortunatly I forsee Hasbro repackaging the Saga Dagobah X-Wing version. Would be cool if he came with the recharging unit, and some other camp accessories, crates boxes etc.
As far as the Dagobah playset, the Bog can feature a deluxe Bog monster, the one that swallows R2, Yoda's Hut would be a good one for Yoda and a bunch of snakes to be packaged with. The Dark Side cave can be packaged with a new sculpted SA Dagobah Spirit Vader.

darthzirock
01-28-2004, 02:23 PM
Yoda should have the food stick he chews on, plus five toes like the current Yodas (then I'll be happy).

Ah, but a five-toed ESB Yoda would not be movie-accurate! I recently had a question about this, and after popping my ESB: SE tape in the ol' VCR, I got to the scene where Yoda is kneeling on all fours and rummaging through Luke's supplies. The scenes reveals quite clearly that Yoda, in fact, has four toes! Three in the front like a trident, and a smaller, clawed toe coming out of his heel. Therefore, neither the POTF2, EPISODE I, nor the various SAGA Yodas are movie-accurate. (Yes, I tried freeze-framing my AOTC DVD, but never could get a clear shot of Yoda's feet that revealed all of his toes.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Ah, but a five-toed ESB Yoda would not be movie-accurate! I recently had a question about this, and after popping my ESB: SE tape in the ol' VCR, I got to the scene where Yoda is kneeling on all fours and rummaging through Luke's supplies. The scenes reveals quite clearly that Yoda, in fact, has four toes! Three in the front like a trident, and a smaller, clawed toe coming out of his heel. Therefore, neither the POTF2, EPISODE I, nor the various SAGA Yodas are movie-accurate. (Yes, I tried freeze-framing my AOTC DVD, but never could get a clear shot of Yoda's feet that revealed all of his toes.)
Ah yes, the old Yoda's toes debate. I've been on this one for a while.

It's clear, anyway, that he does not have three toes. Hasbro had trouble finding out this fact for 22 years. When I saw ESB again, I noticed that he had four, which would make all Yoda figures inaccurate. Or so I thought?

This past summer, I rented the original cuts of the original trilogy on VHS, with ANH and ESB in widescreen. The scene in which Yoda is digging through Luke's stuff reveals (in widescreen only!) that Yoda has, in fact, five toes.

So, if you have a Blockbuster nearby with the widescreen cut of ESB, check it out and see his fifth toe. Or wait until the DVDs come out this fall. Or just take my word for it. ;)

TheDarthVader
01-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Cool! The mystery is solved. I will take your word for it and I always thought Yoda had five toes.
C'mon Hasbro! Realease that X-wing R2-D2 on a single card. And while we are on the subject: RELEASE THAT PAPLOO on a single card. PLEASE! :D :cool:

Kidhuman
01-29-2004, 03:25 PM
It look like the Dagobah Wave (http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=29927) will happen. This is from the front page news. It will be done in OT style.

Beast
01-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Well, the cards are changing to the old Kenner look, is what it sounds like. The figures sound like they will remain the same. :)

The Original Trilogy Collection (OTC)

Figures

The new style package front is black with stars on it with the original Star Wars logo at the top of the card wrapping around the "blister" where the figure will be placed. The figures shown are new sculpts in the vintage style package (at least that is what was shown on display). Hasbro now classifies the figures as "Rebel vs. Empire" where the Figure # is by being blue or red in color. The current figures that will be available are:

R2-D2 from The Empire Strikes Back - Figure #4
This was the only figure (actually it was only the package) on display. The card back has a picture of the character and figure with this text next to it:
"Two-stage button! Press briefly for robotic character and light. Press and hold button for robotic "scream" and light."

Following the above were pictures of other figures in that wave. There was also the "Jedi Knights Kids Club" logo. This will be a newsletter type mailing list.

Luke Skywalker (Dagobah) from The Empire Strikes Back - Figure #1
This figure is Luke using the force by balancing himself with one hand. It includes a piece of the swamp as a base.

Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back - Figure #2

Obi-Wan Kenobi from The Empire Strikes Back - Figure #3
Obi-Wan has been updated from his clear blue plastic that was available as an exclusive to a new clear figure but with color. It's difficult to explain but it looked pretty good.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
01-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Im a guessing thT the Obi Wan will look like the new Luke.

Beast
01-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Hopefully a bit more bluer, but yeah. Which is great, cause I always hated the Underarm Deoderant Stick Obi-Wan Ghost. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rust
01-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Well, I guess this means that the packing will be changed for the figs after Dagobah (And possibly rehashes of figures that are aready out).

Beast
01-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Well, I guess this means that the packing will be changed for the figs after Dagobah (And possibly rehashes of figures that are aready out).
They'll be changing it with the release of the Dagobah Wave, from what it sounds like. And the Hall of Fame (Recarded) assortment are on the current statndard blue Saga cards. And shipping in their own assortment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rust
01-29-2004, 07:10 PM
They'll be changing it with the release of the Dagobah Wave, from what it sounds like. And the Hall of Fame (Recarded) assortment are on the current statndard blue Saga cards. And shipping in their own assortment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Actully I was talking about the 04 figs (Liek J'Quille, Lando, R-3P0 etc), not the HOF and 03 figs.

Beast
01-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Well, you used the term 'Rehashes'. Which doesn't fit what this is. But I'm sure just like the card change just recently, we'll get a few that turn up on both versions. Ah well, sucks to be a completist carded collector for some folks. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rust
01-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Well, you used the term 'Rehashes'. Which doesn't fit what this is. But I'm sure just like the card change just recently, we'll get a few that turn up on both versions. Ah well, sucks to be a completist carded collector for some folks. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
I'm new to the collection terms Sorry.
-rust
PS: Sorry the post was offtopic (or to some extent spam).

Stemp Fester
01-30-2004, 12:01 AM
I'm guessing that if R2 has electronics, then there will be no retractable middle leg... damn... :frus:

You would think that Hasbro could sculpt R2 a little better on the bottom (if there isn't going to be a retractable leg) - having just a plain flat bottom looks a bit lazy on Hasbro's part if you ask me. Just recessing the middle leg a millimeter or two would look much better, even a couple of holes in the bottom to let you see the electronics would be cool.

OCB
01-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey SirSteve, seems to be some confusion going around concerning this new Original Trilogy Collection and the Vintage Style Figures that were rumored a few months back. RS was saying the Vintage Figures were talked about at the UK Toy Fair as well, are these (the Dagobah and OTC) and the Vintage Style Figures two totally different things? That is what I'm led to believe and what I have been saying but since you have more info, care to shed some light on the subject...anyone else have a guess.

This is what I think is happening:

Well, here is what I'm guessing:

Saga Line (Prequel Figures and Episode II Previews) through 2005
Original Trilogy Collection (OT figures continuing until they decide to stop, people have been begging for these for a few years now, here's a good way to show what is and what isn't selling)
Vintage Styled Figures Exclusive Somewhere ala the Animated Clone Wars Figures, 12 figures only commermorating the DVD release
Episode III (Starting in 4/05)
Saga Redux or Prequel Trilogy Collection (Combining them all in one line or keeping OT and PT separate, focus would be on Episode III for a few years)

arctangent
01-30-2004, 10:57 AM
these figures mooted for the dagobah wave sound really good - i especially like the idea of luke balancing on one hand in deep contemplative meditation. but why do hasbro have this absolute obsession with changing the packaging every few months? i take my figures out of the packaging to display them but it still bugs me.

evenflow
01-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Well I guess my question in another post has been answered. I really cant wait for the Luke. That is awesoem that he can stand on his hands. I am looking forward to the Kenobi figure, I love spirit figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Hey SirSteve, seems to be some confusion going around concerning this new Original Trilogy Collection and the Vintage Style Figures that were rumored a few months back. RS was saying the Vintage Figures were talked about at the UK Toy Fair as well, are these (the Dagobah and OTC) and the Vintage Style Figures two totally different things? That is what I'm led to believe and what I have been saying but since you have more info, care to shed some light on the subject...anyone else have a guess.

This is what I think is happening:

Well, here is what I'm guessing:

Saga Line (Prequel Figures and Episode II Previews) through 2005
Original Trilogy Collection (OT figures continuing until they decide to stop, people have been begging for these for a few years now, here's a good way to show what is and what isn't selling)
Vintage Styled Figures Exclusive Somewhere ala the Animated Clone Wars Figures, 12 figures only commermorating the DVD release
Episode III (Starting in 4/05)
Saga Redux or Prequel Trilogy Collection (Combining them all in one line or keeping OT and PT separate, focus would be on Episode III for a few years)
Actually, I think it's like this, but I could be wrong.

Saga - The current line, featuring figures from all the films (or at least most of them, looks like Episode I and II won't get much love other than the Jedi Council packs). With new figures like Gold Leader, Jan Dodonna, TIE Pilot, Admiral Ozzel, Bossk, and Dengar.
Original Trilogy Collection - A mini-line, like the Clone Wars figures. These are figures styled like the modern ones, on vintage-style packaging. Not sure about the specifics, but it seems this line will have 12 figures, perhaps four from each OT film. With figures like Dagobah Luke, Dagobah R2, Yoda, and Spirit Obi-Wan.

The vintage-style figures ain't gonna happen. People must've thought they were gonna make them, but turned out to be the OT collection. Don't know which lines will be for Episode III. :)

OCB
01-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Actually, I think it's like this, but I could be wrong.

Saga - The current line, featuring figures from all the films (or at least most of them, looks like Episode I and II won't get much love other than the Jedi Council packs). With new figures like Gold Leader, Jan Dodonna, TIE Pilot, Admiral Ozzel, Bossk, and Dengar.
Original Trilogy Collection - A mini-line, like the Clone Wars figures. These are figures styled like the modern ones, on vintage-style packaging. Not sure about the specifics, but it seems this line will have 12 figures, perhaps four from each OT film. With figures like Dagobah Luke, Dagobah R2, Yoda, and Spirit Obi-Wan.

The vintage-style figures ain't gonna happen. People must've thought they were gonna make them, but turned out to be the OT collection. Don't know which lines will be for Episode III. :)Hmmm, well I'll point you to the original rumor from RS where it states that these "Vintage" figures would be along the lines of the MOTU rereleases

http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011606

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-31-2004, 01:18 PM
Right. Well, rumors don't always pan out, but it might. Though I doubt it. We'll see in a few weeks, at the US Toy Fair. :)