PDA

View Full Version : Who buys from Brian's Toys?

stillakid
01-27-2004, 02:43 PM
After looking on the front page, I clicked on the "News from Brian's Toy's" link and found, not only that they had the Target exclusives in stock, but that they were charging $20 bucks a pop for them.

I suppose that those without access to a Target might find Brian's Toys as a convenient and/or last ditch supplier for their hobby. But I did get to wondering who buys from them really. What prompts you to pay more than twice the retail price for some items?

Chime in here and give your reasons! :)

Reefer Shark
01-27-2004, 04:25 PM
A loooong time ago, I bought a vintage ROTJ Vader from them for like $30 or something. Last year I bought a few loose 12" Qui Gon's for like $7 or something (can't remember exactly) just to use the cloaks for other jedi.... I've sold them a black vest Tatooine Maul once too.

Other than that, their prices are generally way to high for my blood.... They always have everything, but that's only because they charge so much for it....

Honestly though, as a consumer I would have to say that Brians Toys sucks... :greedy: :greedy: lol

Dark Marble
01-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Now and then I will buy loose figures from them, or every once in a while find a nice deal on their website. But, as far as their prices...oh no way! However, I have to say that every time I have done business with them, they have always been very professional, fair, and customer friendly. I have never had a bad experience with them. I just don't buy new stuff from them.

Kidhuman
01-27-2004, 08:05 PM
There prices are way too high for me. The only e-tailer I would buy from is Kebco, if I ever decide to join there one of every figure club.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-27-2004, 08:22 PM
I once bought a Kelloggs Han Solo Stormtrooper for a whopping $30. Later on, I learned they began to sell it at half the price. :frus: After that, I never considered shopping at Brians Toys.

Darth Jax
01-27-2004, 08:54 PM
for any NEW items you're much better off shopping elsewhere. Brian's does have good specials periodically, but you have to frequent their website. for older figures they offer great deals. i've ordered from them before when the price was right. i've had far better luck with shipments and customer service from Brian's than from any other e-tailer. BTW the only NEW items i've gotten on-line were the a-wing (never saw one at target, got from target) and the shuttle (from EE).

thespar
01-27-2004, 09:21 PM
I have done business with them twice i bout some of their bound packs, ie the whole flashback line and picked up a grab brag of POTF2 at a okay price. I will not buy anything new form them but i will pick up older items form them.

B'Omarr Monkey
01-27-2004, 10:58 PM
About three years ago, at my wife's old job they wanted to buy the reissue of the Millennium Falcon for their computer tech guy as a going away present. Since it was long out of the stores, I suggested getting it from Brian's toys. The price was about $60.00 which was close to the original price. It arrived quickly and in fantastic shape.

I've bought loose figures for my kids from them, and some carded and boxed stuff for myself that i'd missed in stores that all came quickly, in good condition and reasonably priced.

So, the service is great, if you wait about 6 months or longer on new figures, then for the most part you can get them for about the same price they were when they hit stores. I think the high prices on the new figures is aimed at the same people who bid on ebay for waves that won't be in stores for another month or so. It probably allows for them to reduce the prices to a reasonable amount later on, and still stay in business.

My father, who is an antiques dealer, also did quite a bit of buying and selling from them, covering the entire vintage line moc or mib, and never had a problem, or complaint.

I have to say though, that it made my cringe to see the entire vintage line looking like they came right out of the case 25 years ago, including all the rarities, sitting out at my father's place, and knowing they were simply a monetary investment, and not going to end up being mine. To be fair though, he did score me some really nice pieces which didn't cost me anything.

Anyway, Brian'stoys great service and quality products even if initailly priced high.

stillakid
01-27-2004, 11:01 PM
How do y'all feel about them reselling store exclusives?

Kidhuman
01-28-2004, 12:24 AM
It dont bother me that they sell exclusives since half of the exclusives I dont buy. The other half I get from the stores.

arctangent
01-28-2004, 05:51 AM
i bought the b-wing fighter from brians toys when it came out because it was still cheaper, even with postage, than the price here in the uk. since then though, prices have come down a bit, so i haven't used them again.

Silent Chazz
01-28-2004, 09:55 AM
I ALMOST bought a Jango Fett (final Battle) from Brian's Toys a while back. Why? It was listed as $1.99. I thought this was a freaking cool deal. So once I got to the checkout portion of the website, to my horror it said my total came to $9.99!! I couldnt believe it that it said $6 shipping and $2 handling. What a Rip. I didn't even have ten bucks in my pocket at the time, only five. I ended up cancelling the order and vowing never to buy from this website again because $8 shipping and handling is way too much.

evenflow
01-28-2004, 03:35 PM
I have bought from them in the past, but mostly for completing my Power of the Force Coin set. Other than that I would not buy new stuff from them. They are too expensive.

odb
01-28-2004, 05:10 PM
I haven't brought from Brians Toys in at least 3 years. I only ever used to buy from them if the prices were cheaper than here in the UK, plus I occassionally raided their specials selection.

Since the arrival of some very good retailers here the UK I haven't ordered from them.

Kidhuman
01-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Animated Clone Wars Series 2 NOW IN STOCK!
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Clone Trooper Animated C-9 $19.99
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Count Dooku Animated C-9 $19.99
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Durge Animated C-9 $19.99
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Yoda Animated C-9 $19.99
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Set of all 4 Series 2 Figures $59.99

Theres one reason I wouldnt buy from Brians toys.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Holy crap, Kidhuman, 59.99 for a whole set?!!? Plus tax and S&H it's probably around 70. Hell, when i found the first CW wave, i got the 4, plus a LOTR boromir and 3 of the Hulk figures, and the total was like 60 itself!!

that's rediculous.

stillakid
01-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Animated Clone Wars Series 2 NOW IN STOCK!
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Clone Trooper Animated C-9 $19.99
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Count Dooku Animated C-9 $19.99
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Durge Animated C-9 $19.99
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Yoda Animated C-9 $19.99
Clone Wars 3 3/4" Carded Set of all 4 Series 2 Figures $59.99

Theres one reason I wouldnt buy from Brians toys.

Yeah, that's what prompted this thread. Now, maybe he's getting boxes of these from foreign sources. I've heard of that happening before with other online scalp...er, dealers, so maybe his inventory is legit. It doesn't really explain the markup though.

Of course, I have to believe that these are ill-gotten wares so the situation is entirely unacceptable.

Reefer Shark
01-28-2004, 06:59 PM
I scored TWO sets of wave 2 animated at Target today, that cost me just under $60.

.......the same price Brians Toys charges for one set (or 3 seperate figures!). And that's the reason I think Brians Toys sucks.

Kidhuman
01-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Yeah, that's what prompted this thread. Now, maybe he's getting boxes of these from foreign sources. I've heard of that happening before with other online scalp...er, dealers, so maybe his inventory is legit. It doesn't really explain the markup though.

Of course, I have to believe that these are ill-gotten wares so the situation is entirely unacceptable.

Yeah online scalp...ers, dealers should stick to Ebay, at least high prices are expected there. I dunno how his mark-up is so much (almost 300%). I wonder how he stays in business with thouse prices?

Card Dreamer
03-23-2004, 11:49 PM
I have to admit, I've bought from them before. The prices were reasonable, and the stuff arrived quickly, mint and they were always wonderful to deal with. As for the shipping Chazz, I can understand why that'd tick you off. But keep in mind they don't set their shipping by the fig. They have it set for a price range, as most other online..."retailers" go. you pay X amount for any purchase between A-C amount.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-24-2004, 12:01 AM
hahahahaha I just jumped to his site and browsed his LOTR stock: these folks are NUTS. The superposeable Aragorn is 14.99 while it's warming shelves on sale at Target. Here is the real kicker: Gollum is 11.99!!! YOU'RE KIDDING ME!!! He's warming pegs EVERYWHERE and is discounted too!! Good lord!! :crazed:

Card Dreamer
03-24-2004, 12:05 AM
uhg, glad I haven't bought from them recently....not since Pot started its line...bought mostly Ep1 and PotF2 figs...

Reefer Shark
03-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Yeah... more great deals from Brianstoys :rolleyes:

I noticed that last weekend they already had the L.A. Wizard World exclusive Clone pilot busts for the low price of $279.00. Wow!!!! Sign me up!! :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

Jeeez man, I wonder how many of these they got a hold of. What's sad is that they'll probably sell for the asking price :bored: :zzz: :dead: ......

Card Dreamer
03-24-2004, 09:13 PM
I guess the question is if people will pay it, who are we to question them? next question is why aren't WE the ones making that much money ;P

2-1B
06-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I bought a vintage loose Barada from BeezTease a few years back (complete with staff) at a reasonable price. :) As for the new products though, no way would I pay that much...I do like their catalogue though, it's a fun browse. :)

Slicker
06-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I do like their catalogue though, it's a fun browse. :)It is a good catalog. They do have ridiculous prices but then again they do have TONS of hard to get and uber rare vintage stuff. I wouldn't pay $3,000 for one of the ANH 3 packs but still...

2-1B
06-24-2006, 10:47 PM
It is a good catalog. They do have ridiculous prices but then again they do have TONS of hard to get and uber rare vintage stuff. I wouldn't pay $3,000 for one of the ANH 3 packs but still...

Come on, your CC is only at 2 grand...you have room for another 3 ! lol

Slicker
06-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Come on, your CC is only at 2 grand...you have room for another 3 ! lolAh, touche!!!!

Who needs KFC bowls when you can have plastic figures sealed in there ORIGINAL PACKAGING!!! Add to that the totally cool AFA 85 rating and I'm there.

2-1B
06-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Exactly, PLUS with all those KFC bowls you've been forcing through your bowels, you'll be deceased long before you have to pay on that card ! :grin:

win/win

evenflow
07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I still can't believe how expensive he has become. I remember before he got big i used to buy from them all the time. Not sure if Brian still deals witht he customers but i used to deal with him all the time. Its been at least a good 8 years since i bought anything from them.

2-1B
07-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I bought the M&M Figures from them at Wizard World last year. :)

Banthaholic
07-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I deal with Brian's Toys from time to time. Not so much anymore. just because I'm fairly caught up with most of the lines I collect. when I did deal with them I was always impressed with the shipping time. A few times I'd order and get the stuff two days later.

Some of the prices are better than others. I wouldn't but new releases from him, but then agin those I save for store runs, but then there are other people from foreign countires were his proces are actually cheaper than buying retail. For older items there are deals to be had.

bigbarada
07-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I'll buy vintage toys from them from time to time or Kubricks (but not the rare chase figures, they charge waaaaay too much). I don't really buy recent stuff from them, unless they are charging only a few dollars more and I can't find it on the store shelves.

If you want a retail outlet that is ridiculously overpriced, go to K-Mart.

For the most part, I've been doing business with BT since about 1994, so I'm accustomed to them and I like their customer service for the most part.

So I don't really mind paying a little bit more to a place that I trust.

JEDIpartner
07-21-2006, 01:07 PM
I've purchased things from the CLOSEOUTS section or their complete loose figures that are under $5. Beyond that, I think they are crooks. :D

bobafrett
07-21-2006, 10:56 PM
I bought from them only once at a Wizard World convention. I needed a cinema scene to complete my collection (those which I knew of) and I found it there, paid there price and added the piece to my collection.