PDA

View Full Version : McFarlane's Monsters Series III Revealed!!!

Beast
01-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Don't care about the line, and I'm no fan of Toddy. But I know some of you guys are, so I figured I'd pass it on. Here's the current line-up for MM3. Sorta in bad taste to glorify these killers. But atleast Toddy had the good sense and taste to not pick any modern killers like Ted Bundy, Jeffery Dahmer, etc.

Attila the Hun
Billy the Kid
Elizabeth Bathroy
Jack the Ripper
Rasputin the Mad Monk
Vlad the Impaler

Billy the Kid is an odd choice, since he's not exactly fitting the rest of the figures when it comes to famous killers. And of course we had to get a female that Toddy could go sick/sexy on. By the way, if you're not familar with Elizabeth Bathroy, follow the following link.

http://www.abacom.com/~jkrause/bathory.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Is this real or some fanboy rumoring that got whipped into such hype that people have been trying to pass it off as real? It sounds to me like the latter, which should reflect just how ridiculous these would be if they WERE real. Jack the Ripper is especially cute since there's still no clear answer as to his identity.

Beast
01-27-2004, 04:58 PM
No, it's 100% real. From what I understand, they may be re-imaginings of the historical characters. Since the picture that turned up for Jack the Ripper said 1901 New York. But here's the link to the Spawn Board where one of the head guys confirmed it. :)

http://board.spawn.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=159050

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
01-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Rasputin, very interesting character to read about . . . but would he make an interesting toy?

I am not really getting a good feel from this line. Sure these characters are intriguing to read about, but I can say I do not want to own a figure of them. Maybe it is because they are "too real" for me. I am not saying this figures glorify murderers or anything, I just do not find the cool aspect in them as I would in his previous Monster figures.

JediTricks
01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
More "reimaginings", this time of real historical figures? This smacks of Toddy's McEgo getting (even further) out of control.

Beast
01-27-2004, 05:20 PM
More "reimaginings", this time of real historical figures? This smacks of Toddy's McEgo getting (even further) out of control.
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, ehh? Well, atleast he's turned his eye to real people. Instead of looking for another classic work like Oz that he can befoul with his twisted sick mind. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
01-27-2004, 11:12 PM
<< white flag >>

Just curious...I can't help notice the animosity directed toward McFarlane. What gives? Does he owe you guys money or something? They're just toys for cryin' out loud. If he's got an ego or is an a**hole, so what? What's the problem? George Lucas has an ego too, but you buy his stuff. I'm no expert on the McFarlane line of products, but from a casual browsing of the pegs, all the stuff is fairly harmless. Weird, twisted creatures and stuff. The occasional hot chick villian or something. But no big whoop. The Muppets have their own figures. Holy Grail has it's own figures. Rock stars have their own figures. Seems everything fictional and non anymore is fair game for the toy aisle from a variety of different toy makers. Why is the barrel pointed so vehemently at Todd? He's just cashing in like everyone else. :confused:

Beast
01-27-2004, 11:48 PM
There's a whole history of why people hate Todd McFarlane. And it's not due to ego. It's due to some extremely shady deals he's pulled in the past to get the rights to certain characters. And how he and his toadies treat the fans. The stories that have come from ex-employees that are big names in the industry have pointed to Toddy's lack of respect for employee and fan alike. :)

He bought the rights to do a Crow Comic Book, which he dumped right after he made a figure of it. The likeness also caused some trouble with Brandon Lee's estate. He got the rights to do Ghostface from Scream, but couldn't use the name Scream. Yet he slapped that on the cards, and had to change it turning production when the studio got involved. He had his company put South Park figures on display at Toy Fair, which he had no license to. And which got his company in some trouble with Comedy Central.

And not to mention that he and his company constantly are rude and condecending to fans. His right hand man, 'Steve the Bum' over on the Spawn boards has on several occassions made personal attack, mentioning Toddy by name, against posters. Like with the Hellraiser license. Toddy was ticked that folks wanting the figures so bad, led the price of the license to be too high to get. He's also stated that he'd never make a TallMan figure from Phantasm, even though it's a constantly asked for figure. And the actor that plays him has even approached McFarlane to do it.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of the Real Toddy McFarlane. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
01-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Why is he like that? Is there proof of all these allegations. You know the net, it's full of "experts." ;)

Beast
01-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Well, a bunch of his ex-employees have made comments about him. Some of the figure websites have posted some of this news when the story was hot. And basically, right now all he cares about is really his Sports lines. He's gone on record as wanting to move away from Horror figures. That's why his Monster/Movie Maniacs lines stopped being fully horror. And he lost major face, when a bunch of hot properties started going to NECA. Freddy, Jason, Hellraiser, Kill Bill, Ghostbusters. I know he tried to get a Ghostbusters deal off the ground once. But Bill Murry wouldn't play ball. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
01-28-2004, 03:41 AM
I got nothing against him. In fact, I love a lot of his figures and wish I had the money to buy more of his product.

He gave the world figures of Metallica, how can I not love him?

arctangent
01-28-2004, 05:20 AM
Jack the Ripper is especially cute since there's still no clear answer as to his identity.

does that matter? how many people know what countess bathory looked like.

also, i don't give a monkeys what mr mcfarlane is supposed to have done or not done, i like a lot of the figures his company produce. if i like the look of a figure, i will buy it - i don't think 'oh, he's got a terrible reputation so i'm not buying that'.

and some of his stuff may be wierd but some people like that. i own all the tortured sould figures and love them. if i like the look of any of these figures (if they are indeed the next monsters line up) i will buy them if i can. i like the sound of jack the ripper (i used to work for a company whose office was on jack the rippers 'patch'), countess bathory (the subject of fantastic song by venom) and rasputin (the subject of not so fantastic song by boney m).

Dr Zoltar
01-28-2004, 12:56 PM
He's also stated that he'd never make a TallMan figure from Phantasm, even though it's a constantly asked for figure. And the actor that plays him has even approached McFarlane to do it.
I always wondered why a Tall Man/Angus Scrimm figure was never made. Heck, if a whole line of Phantasm figures were made I'm buy them.

Beast
01-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Here's some pictures of the design for Jack the Ripper. Can't say it's intresting to me at all. But for those that care, here you go. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
01-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Eh, that design sucks. He should be engulfed in shadows with a top hat hung over his face sort of. Heck I would've even gone with the Jack the Ripper joke from Shanghai Knights. But that design just seems, boring. There's nothing that can really show it to relating with Jack the Ripper. "Ooh, blood...yea that's real specific connection."

Beast
01-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Well, he's got what looks like a leather apron on. And some sort of mask. But hell, they should have just made a Leatherface figure again if they are gonna do that. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
01-28-2004, 04:13 PM
All that stuff about Todd... is that why the Four Horsemen are working for Mattel now? I had wondered about a "falling out" since I first heard of their involvment in the Masters of the Universe line.

On the new Horror Series, though... I don't know. I liked the Oz line (most of it, anyway - and based purely on the figures themsleves. I didn't buy them because the name Oz was attached to them), but these I'm just not sure about. I guess I'll have to wait to see what they look like. Just like with the Oz figures, I might buy these based on visual appeal. If that appeal can somehow overcome the "creepiness" of this line :ermm:.

I'm becoming less and less impressed with McFarlane, myself. He doesn't make toys anymore. He makes poseable statues.
The only things that I'm really anticipating now are the "Giger Quads" coming out sometime this year. And that's only because I'm a big H.R. Giger fan and I'd like to have some smaller representations of his work.
But you never know. Maybe Todd will wake up eventually and get his act together again.

End...

Beast
01-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Yep, that's why the Four Horsemen are working for Mattel. And Tankman left McFarlane to join NECA. A lot of folks fled that place when Toddy started moving twords Sports figures. Amongst other issues. I'm glad though, NECA actually treats their sculptors like human beings. Putting their names on the cards of the figures that they sculpt. Rock On. :)

The Giger Line has been cancelled, it's never coming out. Appearantly there was a massive disagreement between H.R. Giger and Todd McFarlane. Toddy wasn't able to perfectly translate Giger's work in the line. So Giger basically said to forget it, he didn't want the line made unless they matched his art exactly.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
01-28-2004, 05:23 PM
The Giger Line has been cancelled, it's never coming out. Appearantly there was a massive disagreement between H.R. Giger and Todd McFarlane. Toddy wasn't able to perfectly translate Giger's work in the line. So Giger basically said to forget it, he didn't want the line made unless they matched his art exactly.

Ah, crap!
I could probably use stronger language, but that'll suffice :crazed:.

Thanks for telling me, JJB. At least now I know.

End...

JediTricks
01-29-2004, 04:36 AM
Here's some pictures of the design for Jack the Ripper. Can't say it's intresting to me at all. But for those that care, here you go. Wooo! It's "Friday the 13th part MDCCCLXXXVIII: Jason Goes to Whitechappel", watch out behind the shadows of Big Ben! This isn't exactly what I expected, but I'm not surprised either. Maybe there will be the mutilated torsos of 300 victims strewn about and a Sherlock Holmes figure peeking around the bend with his spyglass on the base that will come with this figure. What next, Monsters series 4 where Toddy "reimagines" famous presidents, the first figure being Abraham Lincoln sitting on a throne of dead Confederate soldiers with an evil vintage-style clown head coming out of his mole?

MDCCCLXXXVIII = 1888, the year of the Jack the Ripper murders of 7 prostitutes in Whitechappel, England.

Beast
01-29-2004, 04:59 AM
LOL! Ok, that was a good one JT. Yeah, this is a bit out there. Even for ole Toddy. I still think Oz is in poorer taste though. Atleast these characters arn't beloved by millions. But yeah, next he'll be doing a Zombie Line of Presidents. The possibilites are endless. :)

Zombie Washington w/ Bloody Axe, Fanged Wooden Teeth, and Cherry Tree Base. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
01-29-2004, 05:13 AM
I'm becoming less and less impressed with McFarlane, myself. He doesn't make toys anymore. He makes poseable statues.

er, has mcfarlane ever made any other than poseable statues?

that doesn't bother me though - the are displayed on my shelf, not played with. and the hellraiser series of figures are just as non-posable but i don't see people moaning about them.

arctangent
01-29-2004, 05:18 AM
Wooo! It's "Friday the 13th part MDCCCLXXXVIII: Jason Goes to Whitechappel", watch out behind the shadows of Big Ben!

i just thought i would point out that big ben (which is a bell, not a clock tower) is nowhere near whitechaple.

JediTricks
01-29-2004, 05:29 AM
i just thought i would point out that big ben (which is a bell, not a clock tower) is nowhere near whitechaple.1) Do you really think that would matter to a Friday the 13th movie?

2) Do you really think that would matter to Todd McStatue? :D

JJB, I dunno about your Washington figure, those features seem a little too spot-on for ol McFarlane, not enough "reimagining". ;) Maybe if it came with a Martha Washington accessory that was a talking evil goat or something...

arctangent
01-29-2004, 06:05 AM
1) Do you really think that would matter to a Friday the 13th movie?

2) Do you really think that would matter to Todd McStatue? :D

JJB, I dunno about your Washington figure, those features seem a little too spot-on for ol McFarlane, not enough "reimagining". ;) Maybe if it came with a Martha Washington accessory that was a talking evil goat or something...

no, probably not. but i thought i would point it out as i know bits of whitechapel. in fact i occasionally used to drink in a pub which was full of jack the ripper memorabillia (the ten bells in commercial street) because one of his victims was murdered just around the corner.

stillakid
01-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Wooo! It's "Friday the 13th part MDCCCLXXXVIII: Jason Goes to Whitechappel", watch out behind the shadows of Big Ben! This isn't exactly what I expected, but I'm not surprised either. Maybe there will be the mutilated torsos of 300 victims strewn about and a Sherlock Holmes figure peeking around the bend with his spyglass on the base that will come with this figure. What next, Monsters series 4 where Toddy "reimagines" famous presidents, the first figure being Abraham Lincoln sitting on a throne of dead Confederate soldiers with an evil vintage-style clown head coming out of his mole?

MDCCCLXXXVIII = 1888, the year of the Jack the Ripper murders of 7 prostitutes in Whitechappel, England.

LOL! Ok, that was a good one JT. Yeah, this is a bit out there. Even for ole Toddy. I still think Oz is in poorer taste though. Atleast these characters arn't beloved by millions. But yeah, next he'll be doing a Zombie Line of Presidents. The possibilites are endless. :)

Zombie Washington w/ Bloody Axe, Fanged Wooden Teeth, and Cherry Tree Base. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Look, I know you guys have allowed your personal knowledge of McFarlane to affect the way you think about the product, but I kinda liked JT's suggestion of the "reimagining" of Dead Presidents. Really! Seriously, any knuckle-head will know that these aren't "historically accurate" renditions of the guys and in the same vein that the Twisted Oz figures are not meant to replace the "beloved" Baum versions, so what's the harm? Really. While it's nice to see genuine innovation, most of the time what we get from our entertainment dollar is some kind of rehash anyhow. From Star Wars to Clueless. All rehashes in some sense or another. So what if somebody "reimagines" a popular property? How many incarnations has Batman gone through, for cryin' out loud? Sure, there are your purists out there who choose which version they think is the "only one" and dump all over everything that isn't it. But why are you putting handcuffs on somebody's creative outlet? Just because you don't like his politics or manner? "Toddy" hasn't "befouled" the Oz legacy or anything. He just reimagined the storyline in a way that you didn't personally like. Get over yourself. Life's too short. Don't like that he makes "statues?" Then don't buy them. Heck, don't even look at them. Save yourself the trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to defend this Todd guy. I wouldn't know him from a hole in the ground and if he's got some problems with interpersonal relationships then maybe he needs therapy or something. But that has nothing at all to do with his business choice to make toys that some people like (somebody is buying them) and others don't. Don't like 'em, go start your own company. It's the American way! :D

Lman316
01-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Just a darn minute, here. I'm not moaning about anything, arctangent. And Stilla? Where exactly did I say that I didn't like statues (if you were, in fact, referring to me)? I just said that he makes them as opposed to making toys, and for some reason or another, they're still called that.

arctangent, there was a time when Toddy made some fine toys. Some of the earlier Spawn figures had much in the way of play value. Even some later items - like the T-800 Endoskeleton, for example - were great examples of "toyness".
But no, no where did I say that I didn't like the statues. I think a lot of his work is very accurate and some of it is high quality (I'm getting more and more breakage as time goes on. More than with other companies... not moaning, though). I finally bought Neo and Trinity from the first Matrix series. They're nice - they kind of serve a purpose - but they're not action figures by any means.
I wanted some smaller, less expensive, toy versions of these characters to display, and McFarlane was the only company I could turn to. Yes, there was (and probably still is) the option of getting the N2 Toys figures, but accuracy and detail pale in comparison to the McFarlane versions (and I still think even they were lacking in poseablity). I like the ability to pose my figures in anyway I choose. And I've had this beef with other companies besides McFarlane - Hasbro, for one (it's jut my opinion. Am I not entitled to it?).
I see the words "toy" and "figures" all over the inserts. His company is even called McFarlane Toys, not McFarlane Collectibles or McFarlane Statues. If they're going to call them toys, more often than not, they should be toys. But please don't get me wrong. I still like a lot of his and his company's work. Like I said, it's just an opinion. I'm not "bashing" anyone here.

End... :D

stillakid
01-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Just a darn minute, here. I'm not moaning about anything, arctangent. And Stilla? Where exactly did I say that I didn't like statues (if you were, in fact, referring to me)? I just said that he makes them as opposed to making toys, and for some reason or another, they're still called that.

No worries. :D I don't even mean to point anyone out specifically here because the comments expressed on the boards aren't exclusive to SSG members. I've heard similar complaints, particularly about the "statuesque" nature of his "toys" elsewhere. My previous post really has more to do with a general attitude towards what is permissable and what gets bad press and the validity of such. I don't know why, but I have a particular problem with people dumping over art, or creative expression, or whatever without good cause. But that's just me. Call me crazy. :crazed:

As far as the "toy" nature of his stuff goes, really for the most part I'm with you. I was kinda excited about the T3 items when I first saw pictures, but when I got up close in real life, I passed. Not only did they not ring true for me in terms of detail, but I wasn't interested in displaying them as statues as such. Some stuff is fine for that and I'm cool with it sometimes, but I hoped for more out of the Terminator line. Same for ALIEN stuff. For some dumb reason, I collect all the Star Wars things out of habit if nothing else, but an alternate toyline really has to catch my eye and be something special before I'll plunk down cash for it. A rare few Spawn creatures earned my $ as well as the Danger Girl line. The Twisted Land of Oz thing intrigued me enough that I wanted to buy the toys mainly so I could read the story in its entirety. Except for the Completist Sickness that I have with Star Wars, I think that most people are like me and they buy the things that just look cool to them. That's why the sports stuff seems to sell pretty well. Same goes for Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon. It's all just personal choice. To each his own. It all has merit and if it can earn some entrepeneur a few bucks then why the hell not? More power to 'em.

JediTricks
01-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Ok, you get points for knowing stuff arctangent. :D You brits are a little odd though, between celebrating this serial killer and having a holiday dedicated to an anarchist who tried to blow up your Parliment and that whole job-switching xmas tradition, there's some wacky stuff going on! ;)

Stilla, what does an evil clown mole have to do with Lincoln? That's not actual reimaging, it's just taking random stuff that sells in other McStatue products and slapping it onto a public-domain character for instant recognizability. At least JJB's zombie Washington has stuff that's tied into the character, how is this "Jason the Ripper" figure building upon what's been predetermined about JtR lore? How about that freaky Toto figure, or S&M Dorothy? Nothing, that's the point - McFarlane is just using recognizable names and combining it with previously-mined shock value to sell these products, there seems to be no real thought put into any of this "reimagining" here. If you took most of those Twisted Oz figures out of their packaging and showed the toys to someone who had never heard of them before, what do you think are the odds that someone will guess the theme of the line? Todd isn't original for doing "reimagined" toys, and he's not even the first to do a Twisted style of Oz, he's only "original" for taking a nigh-unrelated toy and slapping the Oz name on it -- somewhat like Mattel taking a Skeletor figure and naming it "Darth Vader".

Beast
01-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Well, they seem to have given Jack the Ripper a leather apron. Even though that was just a crude nickname that the Police gave him. And he even wrote them about that crude nickname. So again, all he did was take a real-life character, a vague fact that wasn't even really related to the real killer. And then slapped some sort of mask on him. Frankly I don't consider it "Jason the Ripper". More like "'Whitechappel Pre-Chainsaw Masscare". :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
01-30-2004, 03:50 AM
Umm.....ok.

I'll say that I like McFarlne's figures a lot. I don't know if he is an a-hole or not. I like the figures he does make. I don't play with my figures, so being a statue is fine with me.

Now with that out of the way....

WTF is this?

Why does Jack the Ripper look like Leatherface?

I don't know about most people, but I hae no interest in "real" killer figures. I kind of draw the line there, along with his tortured souls and twisted Oz figures. They are just....I dunno....there's something I don't like about them.

What is next?

Does the world really need figures of real killers?
I mean, where do we draw the line?
Jeffrey Dahmer? Manson? Bundy? Lizzie Bordon? Osama Bin Laden?

Anyway, I have no interest in this line, which is good, because it looks FUBAR already.

arctangent
01-30-2004, 04:12 AM
Ok, you get points for knowing stuff arctangent. :D You brits are a little odd though, between celebrating this serial killer and having a holiday dedicated to an anarchist who tried to blow up your Parliment and that whole job-switching xmas tradition, there's some wacky stuff going on!

hey! thats us brits for you. the intrigue with jack the ripper obviously lies in the fact that no one has ever been able to establish conclusively who he was. and jar jar is right - he taunted the police about their inability to catch him. as for guy fawkes, shame he was four centuries too early!

apologies to anyone who thought i was having a go at them personally. like stillakid i have seen this sort of mcfarlane bashing on other boards - always about the 'statue' thing. everyone is entitled to their own views but i happen to think that mcfarlane figures are just the best sculpted and produced figures being made (with the exception of the hellraiser figures which are right up there, although i believe they were sculpted by people who used to work for mcfarlane). their figures are always very creative and they also put a lot of effort into their packaging and the promotional material which appears on their website. as a graphic designer myself this appeals to me because they are taking care of the whole package to make it look good.

there are many mcfarlane figures that don't interest me so i don't buy them but i do buy those that i like. the concepts and ideas behind some of their figures may be strange, bizzare and distasteful to many but thats what i like about them. but there's brits for you!

plasticfetish
01-30-2004, 06:15 AM
Attila the Hun, Billy the Kid, Elizabeth Bathroy, Jack the Ripper, Rasputin the Mad Monk and Vlad the Impaler. Hmmm...

My gut instinct is that this bunch isn't gonna sell. These are, given the way this line has evolved, and what I can only imagine they'll end up looking like, going to be unpopular.

I could bash McFarlane as much as anyone I suppose. In the past 7 or so years, I've bought quite a few of his toys. I would even say that the (97-98) "Manga Spawn" line was the first toy line that I'd been so into, that I'd hunted down every figure and every variant. Funny too, because I never had and still don't really care about the Spawn franchise or its characters, I simply liked the way the toys looked. Same goes for those early McFarlane's Monsters Playsets. I've always been a sucker for that kind of junk... the playset with all of the little bits and parts. In many ways, they were kind of corny and dorky, but they were also pretty fun to play with. That's where McFarlane has lost me with this particular line, these "horror action figures" just aren't fun.

The "Tortured Souls" figures are simply stupid I think, and likewise, the "Twisted Land of OZ" figures are pointless. I mean... I'm no Puritan as (quality issues aside) I've long been a big fan of the "Movie Maniacs" line, but seeing those OZ figures hanging on the pegs at KB (and by the way, here's another example of why KB's dying) merchandised next to other "kid's" lines, is flat out wrong.

So what about this new bunch? Honestly, I don't think it's a terrible idea to use historic figures like this, I just doubt that they'll end up being anything other than gaudy, brittle, clam-shelled peg warmers. Attila the Hun - I'm not sure historically he'd be considered a "monster." I'm sure the stereotypical "Hun" image can be pumped up and he'll have a funny hat and sword, etc. Billy the Kid - again, I'm not sure how historically accurate it is to call this one a "monster." I suspect that it'll be a boring toy. Elizabeth Bathroy - Cool story, but boring toy that isn't going to appeal to anyone because they've never heard of her. Jack the Ripper - this could potentially be a cool idea I think. Just depends on how it's handled. If it was to look more "Hammer house of horror" style and less... like every other thing that Todd's churned out, then it'd be OK. Rasputin the Mad Monk - from what I know about this person, I'd have to say that this is a lame idea. They'll probably do a completely made-up version and it'll be a flop. Vlad the Impaler - This a really good idea, and if it was done more historically accurate, I'd maybe buy it. (Probably not, but who knows.) Here's a good example of a well known and iconic figure that has an interesting story to him. though, I'm sure he'll end up with some kind of cyborg arm or perhaps be packed with a kind of dwarf character, or maybe he'll have fangs and be all torn up by fish hooks. (Yawn.)

Eh, whatever.

arctangent
01-30-2004, 08:29 AM
The "Tortured Souls" figures are simply stupid I think, and likewise, the "Twisted Land of OZ" figures are pointless. I mean... I'm no Puritan as (quality issues aside) I've long been a big fan of the "Movie Maniacs" line, but seeing those OZ figures hanging on the pegs at KB (and by the way, here's another example of why KB's dying) merchandised next to other "kid's" lines, is flat out wrong.

why do you say that the tortured souls figures are stupid? do you know any of the background behind them? are you aware of the work of clive barker as both a writer and artist, upon whose visions these figures are based? please explain because you say nothing to justify that statement and along with most of mr barker's other work i love them.

Beast
01-30-2004, 11:15 AM
The background behind the Tortured Souls line, is actually a lot more simple then that. Toddy couldn't get the license of Hellraiser, so instead he dropped cash on Clive Barker's lap to basically do Hellraiser knock-offs. Since that's basically what series 1 and the storyline behind it was. Series 2 moved away from the 'Cenobite' looking designs and didn't sell nearly as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
01-30-2004, 12:19 PM
why do you say that the tortured souls figures are stupid? do you know any of the background behind them? are you aware of the work of clive barker as both a writer and artist, upon whose visions these figures are based? please explain because you say nothing to justify that statement and along with most of mr barker's other work i love them.
Well, being simply "an opinion", it doesn't really require justification. That's a little like asking me to justify why... I dunno, I don't like the way blue cheese tastes (which I do anyway, so that's a bad example.) I simply don't care for them. Do I know the background? Yeah, well enough... a novella for a toy line, a toy line and next up a movie. I didn't say that I disliked Clive Barker, only that I didn't care for this "toy" line. In short, it just seems a little self-indulgent to me.
Todd: Hey Clive.
Clive: Yes Todd?
Todd: Can you think up an idea for a toy line? You know, something really shocking? I'm running out of ideas, and the Kiss figures thing isn't making me any money. Not enough to afford all of these baseballs that I need to buy anyway.
Clive: I suppose. Sure.
-- Fast forward to ME at KB toys with my 5 year old son who's looking at the "Mongroid" figure that's hanging on the peg at eye level right next to the He-Man figures.
Kid: Dad?
Me: Yep?
Kid: Uh... what's that?
Me: Oh, that's just an ugly toy.
Kid: Uh... what's wrong with him?
Me: He's sick I think.
Kid: OK
Me: Yep.
-- end scene.

So fine, maybe it's not quite fair to say that they're "stupid," but just the same that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I've liked the NECA Hellraiser figures quite a bit, but those are action figures based on a movie. In this case, with Tortured Souls, we end up with a movie based on some action figures... seems a bit shallow to me, but who knows, I may end up really liking the film. (?)

Beast
01-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Well, pictures are up of Attila the Hun. And as I said elsewhere, it looks more like something that should be in their upcoming Conan Line. So far that's Strike 1 on the whole line in my eyes. Here's a link and some pictures if you don't wanna hit the link. :)

http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?division=toys&category=horror&series=monsters3&product=attila

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
01-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Yeah, it is a little Conan-esque and pretty inaccurate, but at least it's not completely Frank Frazetta style... naked except for a loin cloth and a pointy helmet. (Well. OK, it's close.) The base made of Roman soldier heads is kind of funny though.

So these things come with ZERO articulation now?

stillakid
01-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Stilla, what does an evil clown mole have to do with Lincoln? That's not actual reimaging, it's just taking random stuff that sells in other McStatue products and slapping it onto a public-domain character for instant recognizability. At least JJB's zombie Washington has stuff that's tied into the character, how is this "Jason the Ripper" figure building upon what's been predetermined about JtR lore? How about that freaky Toto figure, or S&M Dorothy? Nothing, that's the point - McFarlane is just using recognizable names and combining it with previously-mined shock value to sell these products, there seems to be no real thought put into any of this "reimagining" here. If you took most of those Twisted Oz figures out of their packaging and showed the toys to someone who had never heard of them before, what do you think are the odds that someone will guess the theme of the line? Todd isn't original for doing "reimagined" toys, and he's not even the first to do a Twisted style of Oz, he's only "original" for taking a nigh-unrelated toy and slapping the Oz name on it -- somewhat like Mattel taking a Skeletor figure and naming it "Darth Vader".

I see what your saying. Without a doubt, without context, one could look at that line and not know that they even belonged together. But so what? Aren't most toy lines that way? Take Star Wars for instance. Give a box of the little guys to a kid whose been living under a rock and he won't know what they are.

I guess I'm missing the point. I just don't see what the big deal is. So he isn't original in the concept. So what? I don't know if you have read the entire story or not, but he clearly didn't just "slap" the Oz name on it. It is evident that some thought went into as he probably sat down with the Baum or movie version and thought it would be cool to do a "twisted" alternate version of the thing which would incorporate that blood and guts stuff his monster figures are best at. Why is that wrong? What's the big deal? :confused: What if you or I came up with an "alternate" version of the story? Would they be open for condemnation as well or is it just because it's "Toddy" or because it's (gasp! :eek: ) of a sexual nature?

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 01:47 AM
I see what your saying. Without a doubt, without context, one could look at that line and not know that they even belonged together. But so what? Aren't most toy lines that way? Take Star Wars for instance. Give a box of the little guys to a kid whose been living under a rock and he won't know what they are.But I'm not talking about a kid whose been living under a rock and doesn't know SW, I'm talking about someone who hasn't heard of these figures at all, only read the book or seen the movie (and while they are somewhat exclusive of each other, they share enough of the bare-bones elements to make the character names and general descriptions that those Twisted Oz figures also should be sharing familiar to our test subject).

JJB, we should pitch that Zombie Presidents line to some collectibles company. :D

Beast
02-02-2004, 02:09 AM
JJB, we should pitch that Zombie Presidents line to some collectibles company. :D
Damn straight. What about NECA? They have some quality figures. But remember, we wanna stay pre-1950's so that we don't offend people. So Zombie JFK, Zombie Nixon, and Zombie Reagan are out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
02-02-2004, 03:13 AM
Zombie Reagan is out because it would be too life like?

Beast
02-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Zombie Reagan is out because it would be too life like?
Zing! Ouch, poor Raegan. He should be a figure two-pack, with Nancy Raegan with her hand up his back to work the mouth. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 03:47 AM
But I had such high hopes for Zombie Nixon. :D

That zombie Reagan bit was classic.

The biggest obstacle is what to do about the unfamous presidents, or the people that 1/4th of the US population thinks are presidents like Ben Franklin and Paul Revere. ;)

Beast
02-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Ok, we can do Nixon. But he has to come with Checkers, the Zombie Dog. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
02-02-2004, 05:02 AM
The background behind the Tortured Souls line, is actually a lot more simple then that. Toddy couldn't get the license of Hellraiser, so instead he dropped cash on Clive Barker's lap to basically do Hellraiser knock-offs. Since that's basically what series 1 and the storyline behind it was. Series 2 moved away from the 'Cenobite' looking designs and didn't sell nearly as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

clive barker wrote hellraiser and created the cenobites. clive barker did the drawings which became the tortured souls line. i believe they were done quite some time ago and not specifically for a toy line. therefore to say clive barker was asked to do hellraiser 'knock-offs' and lable the tortured souls series as such is incorrect.

of course the tortured sould figures look similar to the cenobites from hellraiser - clive barker has a very distinctive style to his drawings and creations.

arctangent
02-02-2004, 05:20 AM
Well, being simply "an opinion", it doesn't really require justification.

fair enough. but it does make it rather hard to have meaningful debate about a subject.

Do I know the background? Yeah, well enough... a novella for a toy line, a toy line and next up a movie. I didn't say that I disliked Clive Barker, only that I didn't care for this "toy" line. In short, it just seems a little self-indulgent to me.

as i have already said the tortured souls figures were based on paintings and art already done by clive barker. the novella was done to go with the first series as a selling point. there was no novella with the second series which i believe was a big mistake because it helped to give the first six figures some character.

-- Fast forward to ME at KB toys with my 5 year old son who's looking at the "Mongroid" figure that's hanging on the peg at eye level right next to the He-Man figures.
Kid: Dad?
Me: Yep?
Kid: Uh... what's that?
Me: Oh, that's just an ugly toy.
Kid: Uh... what's wrong with him?
Me: He's sick I think.
Kid: OK
Me: Yep.
-- end scene.

surely that is the fault of KB Toys for putting these figures where a five year old can see them. in the uk these types of figures are only available in specialist stores and mail order/web stores.

So fine, maybe it's not quite fair to say that they're "stupid," but just the same that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I've liked the NECA Hellraiser figures quite a bit, but those are action figures based on a movie. In this case, with Tortured Souls, we end up with a movie based on some action figures... seems a bit shallow to me, but who knows, I may end up really liking the film. (?)

i am glad you are sticking to your opinion - its yours and equally valid as mine. it just annoys me that people say that the tortured souls figures are a rip off of hellraiser when they were all created by the same guy.

Beast
02-02-2004, 05:21 AM
No, they were done specifically for the toy line. That's the whole point of the matter. Toddy didn't want to pay for the Hellraiser license, so he found a means to skirt the license. By going around the studio, and getting Barker to do something in the same style. Before commenting on Barker's work, you should look at more of it. Not all of it is in the vein of Hellraiser. In fact very little of it is. It was just a cheap way of Toddy getting some 'Knock-off' Hellraiserish figures on the shelves. That's all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-02-2004, 05:26 AM
As for why there's no novella for Tortured Souls Series 2? Because Toddy cut Barker out of the design and concept field for Season 2. Moved away from figures that were in the Hellraiser style. Because of the very reason listed above. People took note in the figure magazines and websites that it was another case of Toddy skirting around not owning a license. By doing something in the same vein. :)

http://www.cenobite.com/faq/tsvshr.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
02-02-2004, 06:14 AM
No, they were done specifically for the toy line. That's the whole point of the matter. Toddy didn't want to pay for the Hellraiser license, so he found a means to skirt the license. By going around the studio, and getting Barker to do something in the same style. Before commenting on Barker's work, you should look at more of it. Not all of it is in the vein of Hellraiser. In fact very little of it is. It was just a cheap way of Toddy getting some 'Knock-off' Hellraiserish figures on the shelves. That's all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

i do actually know clive barkers work very well thanks jar jar. i own lots of very early british editions of some of his old books such as the books of blood which have lots of clive's own drawings on the covers - they are in a very similar vein to the tortured souls concept sketches. in fact, if you look at clive's art he has a very definate style of his own - even the drawings and paintings done for the arabat are very recognisable as his, even though that is more of a fairy tale. there are also lots of clive's drawing and paintings on his website.

as for his written work there is always a very dark element running through it - by clive's standards i think that 'the hellbound heart' is actually a fairly tame story and was certainly 'beefed up' for the film.

i still do not see how tortured can be a hellraiser rip off when created by the same person.

arctangent
02-02-2004, 06:39 AM
As for why there's no novella for Tortured Souls Series 2? Because Toddy cut Barker out of the design and concept field for Season 2. Moved away from figures that were in the Hellraiser style. Because of the very reason listed above. People took note in the figure magazines and websites that it was another case of Toddy skirting around not owning a license. By doing something in the same vein. :)

http://www.cenobite.com/faq/tsvshr.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

in which case i am amazed that clive barker did in-store signings and promoted these figures. they still have clive barker's name on them. i find it hard to believe he had no imput whatsoever into these figures.

stillakid
02-02-2004, 09:33 AM
But I'm not talking about a kid whose been living under a rock and doesn't know SW, I'm talking about someone who hasn't heard of these figures at all, only read the book or seen the movie (and while they are somewhat exclusive of each other, they share enough of the bare-bones elements to make the character names and general descriptions that those Twisted Oz figures also should be sharing familiar to our test subject).

Well, yeah, and that is the reason these things get made. OF COURSE there is name recognition. That's the point. He didn't call them, "Land of Oz" figures...he called them "Twisted Land of Oz" figures. They're not supposed to be exact reproductions or interpretations of the book or movie versions of the characters. The same line of thought works in relation to the Animated Clone Wars figures. It says right on the package "As Seen on Cartoon Network." These aren't supposed to represent the "real" versions of the characters either. They aren't "twisted" as such, but they are "different."

McFarlane is doing fairly well with his sports figures line, he could just as easily do a "Twisted" or "UnLeashed" sports line as well. Both would play on a "realistic" entity and mix it up a bit. What's the problem with that? In fact, that would be pretty cool, having an "UnLeashed" line of Superbowl figures. "Twisted" would work too, with the feeling of "UnLeashed" tied together with some "gruesome" results after being knocked around the way they are on the field. Sneek in the sex element with some sultry cheerleaders and you've got the makin's for a great line of toys! :classic:

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 08:47 PM
McF's line isn't the first twisted Oz concept, my problem with it is that his has virtually nothing to do with the Oz concept at all either because he twisted and twisted until it broke or because he shoehorned the Oz concept onto something unrelated for his various reasons. And I honestly don't understand the need to take a story about a little girl around 9 years old and throw sex at it.

If your twisted football figure is throwing a spiked football through a victim's chest while a scantily-clad evil cheerleader figure makes up a portion of the base, that's acceptably twisting the concept; if your twisted football figure has a famous name and face but is cleaving an axe through a dragon's head and stomping on the guts of a decaying pig, that's nigh-unrelated and chiefly using name recognition and non-related shock-value to sell the product.

Here's the problem with Zombie Checkers, will it come under attack from animal activists? ;) If we need to go cheap here, we can always recycle the Toy Biz Resident Evil zombie dog figure. :D

stillakid
02-02-2004, 11:42 PM
McF's line isn't the first twisted Oz concept, my problem with it is that his has virtually nothing to do with the Oz concept at all either because he twisted and twisted until it broke or because he shoehorned the Oz concept onto something unrelated for his various reasons. And I honestly don't understand the need to take a story about a little girl around 9 years old and throw sex at it.

If your twisted football figure is throwing a spiked football through a victim's chest while a scantily-clad evil cheerleader figure makes up a portion of the base, that's acceptably twisting the concept; if your twisted football figure has a famous name and face but is cleaving an axe through a dragon's head and stomping on the guts of a decaying pig, that's nigh-unrelated and chiefly using name recognition and non-related shock-value to sell the product.

Well, I'll continue to disagree with your assessment of the Oz issue and leave it at that. :D By the way, from your comments, it appears as though you've read the entire storyline, so I was wondering what you thought of the ending?

And I was curious before...what are the other "Twisted" versions? Where can I read them?

Beast
03-05-2004, 08:53 PM
There's pictures up of the rest of Moster's Series III. Not impressed by them at all. Infact, I think some of them are just awful. Elizabeth Bathroy is silly as hell. I doubt there's a chance in hell that Jack the Ripper had a peg leg. And Rasputin looks pretty silly also. Meh, I didn't expect anything too intresting from the line.

http://www.spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=185

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-07-2004, 05:55 PM
What's with all the vaseline-lens photography here? I love this phrase, "A historical look back at some of the human race's most notorious blood-letters and miscreants," I didn't realize I was getting a history lesson from my toys! :D Billy the Kid looks kinda interesting from a Fantasy Western point of view (as long as you don't actually consider that name a part of the figure ;)) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the hot figure here, but the rest seem pretty tepid and after the initial shock value will probably very common on pegs. And why would Jack the Ripper be a fat, bald guy with a peg leg and a big scar - and is that supposed to be a glass eye? The bleeding bag and apron are the best touches of all - is he a doctor, a sloppy butcher?

LTBasker
03-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Yeah, the only one's that look really interesting at all are Atilla and maybe Vlad. The Jack figure was really disappointing, I mean the apron makes sense considering the way he cut his victims was very surgical, also he could just burn the apron and there'd be no blood anywhere else. But dontcha think someone would've noticed someone like that creeping around?

Bathory's pretty boring looking, she might be a shocking display piece though, only good part there.

Billy the Kid is...interesting.

Rasputin is just boring though, who wants an old guy hanging from hooks?...

plasticfetish
03-07-2004, 06:33 PM
What's with all the vaseline-lens photography here?
That's the foggy mists of time clouding our vision... or perhaps some secondhand smoke clouding McFarlane's brain.

Billy the Kid? Err, wasn't he more of a "kid" than that? But then, yeah, it's kind of hard to see what's going on there.
Elizabeth Bathory. Who's going to buy that figure? (Did they use an old Web cam to shoot those photos?) Oh! I get it, "Bathory" and she's in a "bath." Uh huh. :neutral:
Jack the Ripper... "It's just a flesh wound."
Rasputin. Am I missing something here? I don't get this one at all. I know a little about this guy and the scene makes no sense to me. I expected something different here I suppose. Would have been interestd in this one, but sheesh, not now.
Vlad the Impaler has more of a beefcake thing going on than I would have expected. This one I would have also been mildly interested in, but not now.

Anyway. No thanks.

Reefer Shark
03-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Eh, they all look pretty lame to me. The Bathory's kinda interesting for it's shock value, but I would get bored of it real quick....

I'll pass.

arctangent
03-10-2004, 04:35 AM
on the whole i think these look pretty good, although its hard to tell too much until we get some clearer photos of them all like the atilla/ripper ones.

bathory in the bath? great idea. not sure why jar jar thinks she is silly as hell. she did used to bath in the blood of the young women she killed after all, so the bath kind of makes sense. also she looks like she has lovely legs! i almost wish i could join her!

billy the kid looks better than i expected. didn't think i would be interested in him but i am. i know he was only 22 when he died but times were hard and life was tough so perhaps he looks a bit older than a kid!

jack the ripper has lots of blood and a nice base and i like the figure but why the wooden leg? i can't see him not being caught by the bobbies as he hobbled and limped his was through whitechaple after slitting another prossies throat. there were rumours that he was a surgeon, so the doctor's bag is a nice touch.

vlad is the hardest one to see from the photos posted. they really are not giving too much away but i think he might be too similar to atilla. doesn't look like he is impaling anyone either.

rasputin is the one i have the biggest problem with. much as i love my tortured souls figures i can think of no reason (historical or otherwise) why he is hanging from hooks. perhaps its because facially he looks a bit like a cross between jim rose and iggy pop!

i will probably end up getting bathory, billy and jack.

and by the way, vaseline on the lens is a real bugger to clean off too!

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2004, 08:21 PM
I have this book I bought when I was younger that detailed various "scary" things. It was an almanac targeted for children. In this book there is a chapter that goes over some of the characters of Vlad, Jack, and Bathory. Bathory's excerpt had an illustration that looks like that McFarlane toys. She's in a bathtub full of blood pouring blood on herself. In the illustration she is using a human skull to do the pouring, though.

That was what her toy reminded me of when I saw it.

Beast
03-17-2004, 05:48 PM
There's updated clearer pictures of several of the figures so far. Rasputin is ridiculous looking with the hanging and the spikes. Yes, I know some people back then used to suspend themselves on hooks for meditation. But it just looks silly on this figure. And Elizabeth Bathroy. Blah. Dumb, dumb, dumb. A figure in a tub of blood. Snore.

And Billy the kid is the biggest insult. There's photographic evidence of what he looked like. Yet they make him a native american, loaded down with a ton of weapons. I don't care what McFarlane says about being new takes on Legendary Characters. That's just ridiculous. Follow the link and check out images 4 and 5 of the updated ones. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
03-18-2004, 04:08 AM
There's updated clearer pictures of several of the figures so far. Rasputin is ridiculous looking with the hanging and the spikes. Yes, I know some people back then used to suspend themselves on hooks for meditation. But it just looks silly on this figure. And Elizabeth Bathroy. Blah. Dumb, dumb, dumb. A figure in a tub of blood. Snore.

And Billy the kid is the biggest insult. There's photographic evidence of what he looked like. Yet they make him a native american, loaded down with a ton of weapons. I don't care what McFarlane says about being new takes on Legendary Characters. That's just ridiculous. Follow the link and check out images 4 and 5 of the updated ones. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

i have to agree with you on rasputin, jar jar. it seems to be a little too close to talisac from the first tortured souls series. take away the mongroid in the birthing sac, subsitute some coloured jars and bottles and make the frame wooden instead of metal.

i can't agree with your "And Elizabeth Bathroy. Blah. Dumb, dumb, dumb. A figure in a tub of blood. Snore." comments. i like the dear young countess best out of this series. why is it dumb? she did, after all, spend much of her time bathing in blood. you are moaning about the historical accuracy of billy the kid and you can add the rippers wooden leg into that argument too. well the bathory figure is at least historically accurate. she bathed in blood, so here she is, bathing in blood. what more could you ask for?

plasticfetish
03-18-2004, 05:34 PM
What a difference a few better photos can make.

You know, I suppose in general the only thing that really turns me off about this set is the way they're being presented. "A historical look back at some of the human race's most notorious blood-letters and miscreants." It's pretty obvious that these aren't exactly historically accurate depictions of these characters. Though, after having seen Bathory and Rasputin much more clearly, I have to say that these are all really nicely done sculpts, with some great detail and expression. The paint on them is really super as well, the wash of blood on Bathory is pretty amazing looking. I can see why out of all of them, arctangent, that you're liking this one the most. It's the least overdone of the lot. Really does have some nice, elegant qualities.

Maybe that's my problem with them. They're all completely exaggerated caricatures and that concept isn't what's being presented. If McFarlane where to push the idea that this series plays up the myth and hysteric fantasy behind each of these individuals, then it might be easier to swallow. I think JarJar's point about Billy the Kid is really what it's all about... Billy the Kid looked nothing like that, true. He was young, twerpy and he had very little to do with most of the things that were attributed to him. Yet, many people may have imagined him like this figure, as a kind of overblown, bigger than life legend. So why not just say that in the first place?

I suppose, I personally would have been more interested in a line where the characters authentic strangeness -- and all of them were genuinely odd -- had been played up. But to a certain degree, I suppose I can appreciate where they're coming from with this one a bit more now. They just need to change the sales pitch a little bit... walk away from the "historic" thing, and push the distorted "legend" idea.

arctangent
03-23-2004, 10:27 AM
i have just noticed that the two clear photos of countess bathory have been updated to show a rather nice accessory - a candle holder upon which have been stuck three severed (virgins'?) heads with candles stuck on top of them! now, that's class :evil: !

arctangent
04-05-2004, 10:18 AM
just noticed that the 6 faces of madness club member exclusives have been posted. they include a street light for jack the ripper, a bloody base complete with severed heads for countess bathory's bath, an impaled victim for vlad, extra jars and test tubes for rasputin's concoctions and extra weapons for billy the kid. nothing for poor old attilla though :cry:

B'Omarr Monkey
04-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Now that I've finally seen all the pictures, I'm even more disappointed. They all look like their in some Heavy Metal band. Is Vlad smashing his guitar? I don't know why McFarlane is unwilling to make them historically accurate? There could still be plenty of blood, which is clearly what's exciting for them. We don't see McFarlane putting out baseball players with bony growths jutting through their uniform and using severed limbs for bats, and skulls for balls, oe someone sliding into a home plate covered with a bloody and rusty bear trap, so why does he do it here? Does he think someone won't buy a Billy the Kid figure if he doesn't look like Billy the Kid? The thing that's been McFarlane's greatest strength has been the accuracy in the likenesses and attention to detail. I would happily have picked up an accurate Vlad the Impaler or Rasputin, with these I'm not even going to bother. I'm only considering Elizabeth Bathory so I can put her next to my action figure of Anne Bolyn's headless ghost.

As for Vlad, I'm really excited for the Sideshow 12" version which I'm ordering as soon as my move is over in 3 1/2 weeks.

arctangent
04-19-2004, 05:19 AM
We don't see McFarlane putting out baseball players with bony growths jutting through their uniform and using severed limbs for bats, and skulls for balls, oe someone sliding into a home plate covered with a bloody and rusty bear trap

hey, don't go giving old toddy ideas ;) !

Ji'dai
07-03-2004, 09:16 AM
FYI: The Collector's Club Exclusive for Monsters 3 is available now at Spawn.com. It's an accessory pack, limit 2, $8 plus shipping.

I ordered a Bathory too just in case I can't find her at retail. I have yet to see these figures in stores in my area.

Ji'dai
07-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Finally found these at Suncoast today. Bought Billy the Kid (who reminds me of The Gunslinger from King's the Dark Tower series), Elizabeth Bathory, Vlad the Impaler, and Jack the Ripper. $12.99 each, ugh!

arctangent
07-08-2004, 04:34 AM
Finally found these at Suncoast today. Bought Billy the Kid (who reminds me of The Gunslinger from King's the Dark Tower series), Elizabeth Bathory, Vlad the Impaler, and Jack the Ripper. $12.99 each, ugh!

i am feeling pretty poor at the moment so i can't afford to get these but i have seen them in specialist shops here in the uk. ji'dai, does your bathory have bloody legs or clean legs? apparently both versions exist but i could only see the bloody legs version when i looked. the one i saw was very pink and i didn't think it looked very realistic (not that i have ever seen a pretty young woman in a bath full of blood you understand :eek: !)

i had not thought of the gunslinger but now you have mentioned him there does seem to be some resemblance with how he is described.

are you happy with the one's you bought, ji'dai? from what i saw in the shop they look pretty nice.

Ji'dai
07-08-2004, 11:30 PM
ji'dai, does your bathory have bloody legs or clean legs? apparently both versions exist but i could only see the bloody legs version when i looked. the one i saw was very pink and i didn't think it looked very realistic

From what I've read on the Spawn.com forums, you're correct, there are two versions of Bathory. I've read the international version has bloody legs, and the US version just has bloody thighs. Mine has bloody thighs with just a very faint smear down the legs, as if they wiped the blood off. The blood in the bath seems a dark maroon to me, but the splash from her foot is blood red.

i had not thought of the gunslinger but now you have mentioned him there does seem to be some resemblance with how he is described.

He sure doesn't look like the photo I've seen of Billy the Kid! There is a corpse in the casket too. But rumors that the corpse was actually Billy were quashed by McFarlane.

are you happy with the one's you bought, ji'dai? from what i saw in the shop they look pretty nice.

I haven't opened them yet, but I'm impressed with them. The sculpts are first rate, what you'd expect from McFarlane. They are more like statues since they have limited articulation though. I wish Billy's knees were articulated so he wouldn't have to stand with one boot up on the casket all the time. And Billy doesn't come with his pistols - you have to buy the collector's club exclusive accessory pack to get them.