PDA

View Full Version : Armor Questions..

Tonysmo
01-28-2004, 06:30 AM
Yeah Bobafrett, this is kinda directed to you.. and to all others who - GOT ARMOR..

I have started the process.. My wife is gonna kick the sh** outta me as well, but hey, you only live once right?

I want to know, how hard is it to walk around in? can you sit? how hard is it to put together the suit once it arrives in pieces? is there anything I should know that will make my transistion to UBER TROOPER somewhat easy, and mostly - satisfying? Can I drive in it? ( without the helmet on of course.. ) will I need assistance if I want to walk around the grocery store and buy milk? I just want to know what sort of mobility I will have or if Im limited to special events.. do I need special paint? should I figure out how to use rivets instead of velcro? any and all suggestions, hints, do's and donts will be most welcome..

Ive ordered the body suit.. and Ive ordered the boots... Ill be getting the rest within a few months.. I will be sporting armor for CIII.. unless my wife turns me into a blue glowie..

stillakid
01-28-2004, 10:21 AM
I assume that you're putting together a "regular" Stormtrooper based on what you said above.

I don't have personal experience having that stuff on, but from what I've seen and heard, sitting isn't all that easy. A bunch of guys have gone over to become Biker Scouts for that reason. The armor isn't that restricting as a Scout.

It's also difficult to dress yourself. Be prepared for that.

There are different methods to building the suits so it's best to visit the costuming boards and browse through the archives. I'm sure you've visited 501st.com already. Try bikerscout.net and the propreplicaforums (http://rpf.prop-planet.com/index.php) for more info. Velcro is a great tool, but sometimes you'll need to rivet..

JediTricks
01-29-2004, 06:22 AM
A friend of mine has some stormie armor and some Fett armor, says it's a little clunky to walk around in, nigh-impossible to sit or drive in, hot as heck, a little squeaky or generally noisy, and EVERYBODY bumps into it and feels it and pulls on it.

Tonysmo
01-29-2004, 08:38 AM
nice.. At least Ill know to walk around armed to the teeth.. Its still a few months away before I get the actual armor.. Thanks guys..

stillakid
01-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Oh, yeah, what JT said...it gets hot in there. A lot of guys rig their helmets with tiny computer fans to help keep cool and not fog up. It is clunky to walk around in and the pieces will shift and fall if not secured with some velcro or other elastic banding. It definitely looks cool to the observer but it's not all roses from the inside.

Jayspawn
01-31-2004, 02:02 AM
Good luck on getting your armor Tonysmo. Let me know where and when you get your helmet. A good quality Stormtrooper helmet is big on my want list!

bobafrett
02-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Yeah Bobafrett, this is kinda directed to you.. and to all others who - GOT ARMOR..

Tonysmo, dude, I'm sorry, my Internet Explorerer was down, and I was unable to get to this site for the last week or so. (I've spent 2 hours now reading up on some of the over 200 threads since I was last able to get here). Anyway, if you could PM me with your state, and I could see if there are any troopers who are having an Armor Party soon. I went to one shortly after joining the 501st. They gave me an abundant amount of help, one guy even set me up with 2 small speakers so you can hear me speak. I was given tips on how to put my helmet together, and what worked better than velcroing everything.

As far as sitting, I can't sit with my legs at a 45 degree angle, but I did manage to get my armored rear into a theatre seat with little to no problem. You will find that you may have to use a dremmel or a similar tool to slowly gring down the areas behind your knees, depending on your hieght, and or weight. I'm about 5' 9", (a little short for a Stormtrooper), so I just modified my armor slightly to make it fit more comforatably. You'll find that you are always modifiying one thing or another, adding fans to the inside of your helmet, bubble or flat lense, extra straps for your hand plates, etc. What boots did you order? I did see a Stormtrooper at CII with white tennis shoes. I got a pair of CA boots. They look just like the ones in ANH, IMO.

Very cool, If you need any more help along the way, just send my a PM, and I'll give you my e-mail address, or you can get my e-mail address by visiting the fighting 501st website, look under "members" then search for TK-523!

:classic:

tk1476
04-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Tonysmo, wearing the Armor is not that bad, yeah its hot and hard to move in. Just take your time when your putting it together. If you need any help or have any questions let me, know I researched for about a year before I got mine.

Tonysmo
04-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info..

Ive still yet to drop the cash. Ive been waiting to hash this out with my better half, as even though I am a Star Wars fan, Im also a fan of staying married... and keeping things all on the up and up on the home front.

HOWEVER.. I do have great news, in that we have finally hashed it out, and I NOW HAVE CLEARANCE!! WOOT WOOT!!

see, I knew Id get it.. justa matter of time..

bobafrett
04-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Yes! Now we can get you out of those filthy rebel rags you are wearing in your avatar.

tk1476
04-10-2004, 05:02 AM
Sweet, let me know if you need any help or tips! Welcome to the Empire recruit!:D

chrisc
04-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Two questions

1. Where do you get it custom made to fit your body sizes

2. Can you use the latrine in it. That part I have always wondered about. do you take the crotch of or something????

tk1476
04-10-2004, 11:43 PM
When you build your armor you use velcro which you can adjust to fit you. My front seams are glued together with velco on the back seams. The ab piece is held on by suspenders and the belt is what holds it tight around you. There is a mod to the ab piece so you can bend at the waist and I guess go the bathroom. I've made the mod but have yet to try to go to the bathroom! Other wise don't drink anything!

bobafrett
04-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Two questions

1. Where do you get it custom made to fit your body sizes

I have found a dremmel tool to be quite handy. I slowly trim off the parts that pinch on my armor. I fouund that right behind my knees, and my forearm armor pieces were causing the most problems. I slowly grind those areas down little by little until I find a more comforatable fit.

2. Can you use the latrine in it. That part I have always wondered about. do you take the crotch of or something????

I cut the lower front armor piece, the one with the cod piece, right about a half inch or so behind the belt. I attached the two pieces then using industrial strength elastic and a hot glue gun. If I have to use the bathroom, I can bend the cod piece up and out of the way.

chrisc
04-12-2004, 12:17 PM
But where do you get the armor in the first place??

bobafrett
04-14-2004, 08:07 AM
But where do you get the armor in the first place??

Try ebay, I have seen armor for sale there.

CooLJoE
04-20-2004, 03:46 AM
hey Tony, let me know where you end up getting your armor from.

I've looked at doing this for YEARS, but haven't had the money. Now with my better job, I can afford it (and must, since I want to wear it to CIII next year). My biggest worry is the helmet. Some look like crap and some look like perfect replicas. Anyone have a suggestion on what brand helmet to get? I'll likely get that part first.

bobafrett
04-20-2004, 12:55 PM
The one I got came with the armor kit. I had to assemble it myself, the front to the back and the dome. Then the kit came with the bubble lenses, but some Stormtroopers go with the flat lenses. The bubbles lenses make it harder to see much, but I haven't had a chance to look through anyone's flat lenses yet, so I couldn't tell you which one I prefer. I have seen the Don Post helmets, and they are way to small for my large cranium. If I had the pictures of what everything looked like when I got the kit, and what it looks like assembled, I would post them. Unfortunately, they are packed away.

Tonysmo
04-21-2004, 12:39 AM
PM me with your email addys and Ill shoot ya the links I have of the place I will be purchasing my armor from. I still havent dropped the cash yet. Im workin on it.

Ive actually been toying with the idea of modding my original helmet before the new one comes in.. I bought some of the machined tips and new lenses off Ebay. I also have some small screens for the vents.. just cant bring myself to cutting up my ol don post helmet. sooooo.. now Im stuck with either doing that or getting yet another one off Ebay. All this just for the practice.. I dunno. its a thought.

I know the time is getting closer - Id like to have the armor in time for this years Halloween. I need to work on selling some autographs on Ebay though to make up some of the cash.. thing is.. im reallllly lazy when it comes to Ebay.. I hate putting on auctions. to time consuming.. yeah.. I know.. dude, it takes 5 minutes tops.. - see, I told ya I was lazy..

anyone wanna buy a Ken griffey jr autograph? lol

CooLJoE
04-21-2004, 04:52 PM
I checked ebay after I made the post and found only a couple full outfits for sale. Most sit in the $600-900 range though (everything except gloves, bodysuit, rifle). And bodysuits seem to be around $100. So I guess the estimated price is somewhere around $1000 for a full outfit.

I also need to find a good lightsaber. The FX replica line looks good, but I want one that the blade can be removed, blade lights up when attached, and (if possible...ive seen them before) the blade lights up starting at the hilt and moves outward just like the movies show. If anyone has any info on something along these lines, let me know. I don't care if the lightsaber is official or not. Long as it looks good and works well. Besides, I'm not trying to be Luke Skywalker or any other official character, just creating my own, so replicas aren't needed.

IMFETTUP
04-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Tonysmo, what's wrong with your get up now? I think you look like red leader in that. I've always dreamt of having my very own Boba Fett costume.

Tonysmo
04-21-2004, 05:38 PM
nothings wrong with my Rebel costume.. if I wanted to be Rebel scum.. I think Im drawn more towards the Darkside though. I have enjoyed the Rebel Costume.. but I dream of donning the armor.

CII wasnt any fun in the Rebel costume.. I kept getting blasters pointed me. Rebel scum cracks at every booth.. **sniff** ( kidding - I had a great time )

Thanks for the comment though.. Red Leader.. I like that.

Red 5 standing by!

on a side note:

have you guys seen Pink 5 yet? if not, check out Atomfilms.com under that Star Wars fan films.. very very very funny, and done very very very well..

CooLJoE
04-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the emails Tony. LOTS of good info in those links. :)

On a side note...

Found myself a lightsaber. http://www.parksabers.com
They look good and have detachable blades. Price is a bit high (range from $230-$280 or $450 for the double blade which can be split into 2 sabers).

JediTricks
04-24-2004, 12:57 AM
The cool thing about the light-up Parksabers items is that the blade is detachable. No noises though, but I really like Jeff Parks' designs, I have a non-electronic hilt from them from '98.

bobafrett
04-25-2004, 09:00 AM
I checked ebay after I made the post and found only a couple full outfits for sale. Most sit in the $600-900 range though (everything except gloves, bodysuit, rifle). And bodysuits seem to be around $100. So I guess the estimated price is somewhere around $1000 for a full outfit.

I also need to find a good lightsaber. The FX replica line looks good, but I want one that the blade can be removed, blade lights up when attached, and (if possible...ive seen them before) the blade lights up starting at the hilt and moves outward just like the movies show. If anyone has any info on something along these lines, let me know. I don't care if the lightsaber is official or not. Long as it looks good and works well. Besides, I'm not trying to be Luke Skywalker or any other official character, just creating my own, so replicas aren't needed.

Yep, that's about what I have spent on mine so far.

Oh, and why a lightsaber? I know the concept trooper carried one, but none of the Stormtroopers in any of the OT films carry a lightsaber.

Tonysmo
04-28-2004, 02:43 AM
Dont ruin the dream Frett! err.. dont "frett" about it? ahh.. NM..

I purchased the Vader FX. Im delighted to have it. Its um, for lack of a better term.. F'n awesome. However. now Im not sure what to do with it.

Idealy, Id like to be able to stop traffic with it. unfortunatly, it isnt um.. real. CLOSE! but alas I cannot slice anyones arm off.

I think it would be great as a sutible weapon for a well dressed Stormie.. anyone gives you any grief.. WHAACK!!

I have seen the sabers from the site listed above. Very cool site - very expensive sabers. probably better to have that than one with a non-detachable blade.

much luck on your quest for armor.

also - I cannot take credit for those links that I provided.. but Im glad they were as useful to you as they were to me.

tk1476
04-28-2004, 10:52 PM
You are very eaisly going to drop at Least a grand into the white armor. I've got that much into mine and haven't even started the bucket mods (voice amp fans Ect.) But it is well worth it. At cons everybody reconizes you and wants pictures with you and the kids just get a biggest kick out of it!:D ( As will you!) If anyone needs tips or needs to know where to get some armor Email me and I'll help how ever I can!

chrisc
04-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I told a guy I work with that I was going to buy Stormtrooper armor. His reply was, " You stupid Jacka_ _ if I ever see your white butt in that I'll beat you and shoot you for being so retarded. See what kind of abuse I have to put up with as a Star Wars collector.

CooLJoE
05-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Yep, that's about what I have spent on mine so far.

Oh, and why a lightsaber? I know the concept trooper carried one, but none of the Stormtroopers in any of the OT films carry a lightsaber.

Someone hasn't noticed my personal pic under my name :D

I've long loved the stormtroopers, and like most kids, I've loved the lightsaber and jedi abilities. So I combined the two. Basically a jedi in disguise, wearing the stormtrooper outfit (like Luke).

At the celebration3 I'll be coming with both a blaster and lightsaber. I'll just have to figure out how to deal with the lightsaber when I don't want to hold it. Blaster is easy enough to just have held on the side.

Tonysmo
05-04-2004, 05:06 AM
I told a guy I work with that I was going to buy Stormtrooper armor. His reply was, " You stupid Jacka_ _ if I ever see your white butt in that I'll beat you and shoot you for being so retarded. See what kind of abuse I have to put up with as a Star Wars collector.

wow. I take grief - but not like that.. you might want to share with him a few pictures of the 501st.. let him know if he jacks with you that the Empire will come crashing through his door..

there are more of us than he knows...

FOR THE EMPIRE!!

my actual favorite thing to do - for my friends who think Im a nut - is send them pictures of guys in armor, with chicks hanging on them.. always titled - Chicks dig the armor.. they hate that.. . :D

CooLJoE
05-04-2004, 11:56 AM
I know how that is.

I haven't told the people from work or others I know (just my best friend, since he likes starwars enough to dress as a Jedi and go to Celeb3 with me). However, I know that if I tell them I'll get the worst looks ever. And likely some choices phrases like "you're a dork". To add to it, I'll be made fun of for years to come.

So when I get the armor and go to Celeb3, I am going to HAVE to find some babes to pose with. That'll shut em up.

chrisc
05-04-2004, 02:49 PM
wow. I take grief - but not like that.. you might want to share with him a few pictures of the 501st.. let him know if he jacks with you that the Empire will come crashing through his door..

there are more of us than he knows...

FOR THE EMPIRE!!

my actual favorite thing to do - for my friends who think Im a nut - is send them pictures of guys in armor, with chicks hanging on them.. always titled - Chicks dig the armor.. they hate that.. . :D

That does sound like a good idea. The thing I did not get was that he has the nerve to say that to me since I out rank him. I should go smoke him right about now. he he he

tk1476
05-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Yeah, Alot of guys here at work laughted to......till they saw the pics of me in armor with some of the Hooters girls!!!! Laught no more, did they! Then when I brought my bucket in to work one night not only did they all say it was SWEET they got to see that chicks dig Stormtroopers!:D