PDA

View Full Version : Lucasfilm confirms DVD's, Falcon in '04!

Gonk 1979
01-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Just got this off of Rebelscum. Swwwweeeeet! :

Our man on the ground called in to report that TLC Marketing plc, Lucasfilm's chosen promotions partner in Europe, made a private, hour-long presentation to the British toy industry in an attempt to raise interest and awareness of the Star Wars license.

Though not as info-packed as the one held in California in October of last year, TLCs address did include the following:

A one-off promotional colour booklet about Star Wars to serve as a reminder and excite retailers and potential licensees,

The official proclamation that the Special Editions of Episodes 4, 5 and 6 would be released on DVD format in October/November of this year,

A dozen new Classic Trilogy figures (as prevously reported by Rebelscum) "in the style of the vintage ones but not exactly the same" will be made available at the same time as the DVD launch.

There will also be a number of re-released vehicles. On display were example packaging, which were described as "black with a starfield effect", of the Millennium Falcon and X-wing.

At the moment details are very sketchy but we expect a more detailed review of what Hasbro has up their sleeve to come in soon.

El Chuxter
01-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Not to cross the political/religious line here, but (if true) this is conclusive proof of a benevolenet power in charge of the universe. A benevolent power who likes watching SW. :)

Beast
01-29-2004, 03:36 PM
From Steve's report, the figures will stay modern in style. But the packaging will return to the Classic Kenner look. Sweet as hell. :)

The Original Trilogy Collection (OTC)

Figures

The new style package front is black with stars on it with the original Star Wars logo at the top of the card wrapping around the "blister" where the figure will be placed. The figures shown are new sculpts in the vintage style package (at least that is what was shown on display). Hasbro now classifies the figures as "Rebel vs. Empire" where the Figure # is by being blue or red in color. The current figures that will be available are:

R2-D2 from The Empire Strikes Back - Figure #4
This was the only figure (actually it was only the package) on display. The card back has a picture of the character and figure with this text next to it:
"Two-stage button! Press briefly for robotic character and light. Press and hold button for robotic "scream" and light."

Following the above were pictures of other figures in that wave. There was also the "Jedi Knights Kids Club" logo. This will be a newsletter type mailing list.

Luke Skywalker (Dagobah) from The Empire Strikes Back - Figure #1
This figure is Luke using the force by balancing himself with one hand. It includes a piece of the swamp as a base.

Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back - Figure #2

Obi-Wan Kenobi from The Empire Strikes Back - Figure #3
Obi-Wan has been updated from his clear blue plastic that was available as an exclusive to a new clear figure but with color. It's difficult to explain but it looked pretty good.

Vehicles

Millennium Falcon - Comes with many new electronics including "headlights," flying sound, missile-firing launcher, hyperdrive sounds and lights (looked really cool), and start-up and cruise sounds. It also comes with the gaming table and hidden compartment.
http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=29927

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

angellus
01-29-2004, 03:57 PM
This is all great news on the toy end of things. As far as the DVDs go, I won't be happy until he releases the original theatrical editions on DVD. Until then I'm holding onto my VHS tapes.

Beast
01-29-2004, 04:12 PM
The theatrical editions, will likely never be released. So hold on to those VHS tapes and hope that they don't go bad. I prefer the SE versions, and don't even watch the original cuts anymore. And I own both on Laserdisc. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
01-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I for one cant wait for the DVD's to come out. ANd I am happy that the figures will also have the old-skool style of packaging.

angellus
01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
The theatrical editions, will likely never be released.

I have a sinking suspicion you're right. I keep hoping Lucas will cave in--or at least that he'll see an opportunity to milk more money out of the fans--but I doubt he will. I guess I can live with the SE if they're the only versions he'll release on DVD, but I really hope he doesn't tinker with them anymore. I've heard rumors of other changes he'd like to make, and if they're true he might as well just re-shoot the original films because they won't be Star Wars anymore.

Beast
01-29-2004, 05:18 PM
The ammount of rumored changes are really very small. And some things need to be fixed on the SE's. Like OLME Emperor, etc. As long as Lucas is happy with the end result, that's all I care about. He's the artist, and shouldn't care what anyone else thinks. Just as long as he pleases himself. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Argh, this sounds cool, but I don't know about the vintagey packaging. Are the bubbles tiny again? That would really suck, as we'd get less accessories and less big characters. We'll see next month, I guess. The Falcon sounds a lot like the old one, if they're gonna do it they need to make it HUGE.

Beast
01-29-2004, 05:29 PM
It sounds like the bubbles will be the same size, maybe a touch smaller. And they'll be inside the 'Band' that goes around the outside of the card. Sounds good, but I still worry about predominatly black cards. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
01-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Best news that I have heard in a long while!!! Thank God, they are going with a vintage style line. It probably be short and sweet like the CW line.

Beast
01-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Turbo, the 'Cards' are the only things that's going to be vintage styled. They're the same current sculpting technique. But the cards have been designed to replicate the black starfield cards of old. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
01-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Turbo, the 'Cards' are the only things that's going to be vintage styled. They're the same current sculpting technique. But the cards have been designed to replicate the black starfield cards of old. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BinksThanks, but I realize that. I wouldn't want new vintage figure anyways.;) I just have always wanted a vintage style card and it seems as my wish may come true. I say may, because I might hate it when I see them.:)

Beast
01-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Ah, ok. You're original wording made it sound like you thought the figures were in the vintage style also. But damn, today has been a good day. Now I wish Hasbro would treat us with some pictures of the Dagobah Wave. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
01-29-2004, 08:05 PM
You're forgetting that the best attribute of the vintage style card was not its color, but the huge pictures of the characters from the movies!

If any of you could have this choice (and not for the money, but rather to NEVER SELL) would you take:

a vintage collection LOOSE

or a vintage collection CARDED?

I'm betting almost all of you would choose carded if you could have them only 1 way.

The perfect marriage has never happened: modern figures with their great sculpting, and vintage cardbacks.

So far as to what I'm hearing, this still hasn't happened yet.

Beast
01-29-2004, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't take a Vintage Collection either way. I don't have any Vintage figures in my Collection anymore. I consider the sculpts massively subpar to the new stuff. So I never worried about getting what I was missing. And sold what I had. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
01-29-2004, 08:52 PM
I always loved the big character pictures on the vintage cards. Way better than anything that has come since IMO. Those old cardbacks had style :cool:

I don't see how they could do those big pictures without going back to the tiny figure bubbles though. I'm kinda under the impression that they'll be like the silver anniversary cardbacks, with character images on the bubbles.

Turbowars
01-29-2004, 09:10 PM
I welcome the small bubbles. I hate the huge things that are out now. They are getting smaller. You guys have seen the last wave right? Mon and a few choice figures were the only ones that required a huge bubble.

DarthQuack
01-29-2004, 09:30 PM
I can wait for the DVD's only because I was a fan of the originals not as much as the special editions. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome to see in the theather since I was too young when they came out 25 years ago.

-Matt

plo koon 200
01-30-2004, 12:20 AM
I like how they did the pictures for the animated CW figures. Something like that with a large bubble I think can somewhat please both worlds. I know I'm just happy as it is. Hooray for vintage style.

Devo
01-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Not enthused by the 'vintage style' packaging idea. I thought the first few Saga boxes were meant to hark back to the eighties with the double handed lightsaber grip etc and I thought that was crap. I tell you they'll do this and then change it again in a few months time when they (and we) realise how boring it looks. The best packaging we've seen in my opinion is POTJ. The more recent Saga packaging with the gold bar and film title down the left is good though, why can't they just stick with that for more than 6 months?

Turbowars
01-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Not enthused by the 'vintage style' packaging idea. I thought the first few Saga boxes were meant to hark back to the eighties with the double handed lightsaber grip etc and I thought that was crap. I tell you they'll do this and then change it again in a few months time when they (and we) realise how boring it looks. The best packaging we've seen in my opinion is POTJ. The more recent Saga packaging with the gold bar and film title down the left is good though, why can't they just stick with that for more than 6 months?Variety is the spice of life. So you liked having Obi on every single POTJ card? Not me. I like that Hasbro changes things up. Thank god the EP1 card didn't last long.

jjreason
01-30-2004, 07:11 PM
I would opt for NO packaging if it would save me a couple of bucks :) .

Changing up the packaging is never a bad idea, it usually leads to retailers clearing out the old stuff to make room for the new. If that's what happens this time, I'm all for it.

I used to love the vintage cards, complete runs of figures on the back (perfect checklists) and movie pics on the front. For this line, if they continue along with the black cards from the silver figures, that will be fine. Simple and as close to elegant as toy packaging could likely get. Can't wait to see the pics.

Kidhuman
01-31-2004, 12:30 AM
I'm with ya JJ. Put em all in white boxes with no pics for 2 bucks. :D

Seriously, I am down with the card changes. I hiope they doput the complete line of figures on the back like the days of yore. The black card, with or without pics of the character are gonna be sweet. It will also sperate the lines of toys. It worked for CW and it will work for OTC.

Darth_Billy_Jack
02-04-2004, 12:35 AM
im wondering what the DVDs will have in the way of special features... i would like lucas to include the "lost scenes" and alternate cut footage from ANH
as far as the vintage packaging goes.. right on! the old cards are about 100 times cooler than anything from 95 on.. especially w/ the new sculpt figs.
i too got rid of almost all of my vintage figs when the new ones started to appear.. but i traded them for old out of print hardcore records.
thinking about those old cards brings back alot of memories.. going to woolworths w/ my dad every weekend and getting a milkshake and a new star wars guy.. getting separated from my mom in fays and crying, all because i was mesmerized by the imperial transport. begging my mom to buy me a new jedi luke because i found one that came w/ a blue lightsaber and i thought it was cool. and dropping my biker scout down a storm drain on my way home from school.