PDA

View Full Version : You down with OTC?

SirSteve
01-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Here is what I found out at the UK Toy Show...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/UK04.html

Tycho
01-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Steve, it sounds like the Millennium Falcon is the same mold they have been using since 1978. Is this correct? A few different sounds, and launching missles? (From the Quad cannons or the front, where the Falcon has concussion missles by it's cargo-loading port in between the docking mandibles?)

The card backs in black sound cool and go with the "back in black theme" Star Wars is gearing up towards, with the return of Darth Vader - probably the most memorable Star Wars icon.

I wished we heard about more new figures beyond the Dagobah wave, specifically whether the Cantina Waves were confirmed:

Gotal
Givin
Advoze
Duro
etc.

I can't wait to see the Spirit of Obi-Wan. You made it sound awesome.

Luke Dagobah actually sounds like he might be interesting.

It's good that Hasbro has been able to re-make figures we already have, but improve on them, or add such a different spin to them (like Luke Hoth and the Wampa) that it makes people like me who are not completists and swear off most resculpts, to end up buying them anyway.

I might just want that R2 for that classic droid scream noise, too.

Whhheeeeeeeeeeeeoooooossssssssssh!

Beast
01-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Yep, the Dagobah Wave sounds tasty. And the news about the Release of the DVD's being actually confirmed thru LFL channels at the Toy Fair UK. Just yipee is about all I can say about that. BTW Steve, you're link is a bit screwed up. :)

http://sirstevesguide.com/news/UK04.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
01-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Link works fine for me... ?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2004, 08:16 PM
The figures sound good, but the vintage-style packaging? Like with a huge ugly picture of the character? Hopefully, the bubble will remain the same size. Or else, there wouldn't be space for all the stuff they pack in now with the figures. But, since Luke apparently has a base, maybe they're the same size. I think I saw that this line'll only have 12 figures, which is good. Steve, could you elaborate?

Beast
01-29-2004, 08:17 PM
It was coming up weird. It seems to be fixed now, ah well. We know you don't have pictures for us. But care to expand your thoughts on the four Dagobah figures? Was the R2-D2 Super Muddy? Did Yoda have a Cloth Robe? Does the Luke have a Cloth Backpack and/or coat. And what about the Obi-Wan. We need more info. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I am Jabba the Hutt
01-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Does the Luke have a Cloth Backpack and/or coat.

I haven't seen Empire Strikes Back in a while but if he has a soft goods coat, then he'd have pretty much the same outfit as Bespin Luke?

I'm looking forward to this figure and especially the Yoda. The last Dagobah Yoda was sub-par and it seemed horribly out of scale to me.. well compared to the SAGA Yoda anyways. :)

Tycho
01-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Hey, I wanted my Millennium Falcon question answered too!

Is it the same mold basically?

Beast
01-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah, but Luke puts on the jacket on Dagobah when he goes into the tree cave. He just leaves it hanging open. That's why I'd like to see them do a soft rubber or cloth jacket as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthQuack
01-29-2004, 09:19 PM
I can't wait. This will be my comeback to collecting! It's so hard when you are right out of college with so many damn bills! It sucks :( . But we shall see what happens.

-Matt

Turbowars
01-29-2004, 09:48 PM
The figures sound good, but the vintage-style packaging? Like with a huge ugly picture of the character? Hopefully, the bubble will remain the same size. Or else, there wouldn't be space for all the stuff they pack in now with the figures. But, since Luke apparently has a base, maybe they're the same size. I think I saw that this line'll only have 12 figures, which is good. Steve, could you elaborate?John, are so young that you don't appreciate the vintage card? I'm not being mean, I know how old you are. I was just wondering.

Banthaholic
01-29-2004, 09:57 PM
I'm glad to hear that these are being done.

The vintage style packaging has always been my favorite, and still is nice to look at in my room. These will definitely be a good part to the collection!

Beast
01-29-2004, 10:03 PM
From what Steve said he saw, it doesn't sound like there's going to be a picture on the front of the card. Since the band from the name 'STAR WARS' goes around the bubble he says. So that means it's probably pretty close to the Silver figurees. Just with larger/flatter bubbles. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Banthaholic
01-29-2004, 10:10 PM
From what Steve said he saw, it doesn't sound like there's going to be a picture on the front of the card. Since the band from the name 'STAR WARS' goes around the bubble he says. So that means it's probably pretty close to the Silver figurees. Just with larger/flatter bubbles. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
I was thinking the same thing, especially if they'll be on the black card. Although they should have a 'different' look to them

Kidhuman
01-29-2004, 11:58 PM
This is gonna be sweet. Old-skool style cards. A new Falcon, an X-wing, man even a new Dagobah wave. This is gonna be a good year.

Hellboy
01-30-2004, 12:19 AM
"I'm down with OTC. Yeah you know me"

Sounds sweet. :eek: I'm REALLY excited about that Falcon. Must, have, pictures, soon. :crazed:

jjreason
01-30-2004, 02:08 AM
I'm so down. Never did get a POTF2 Falcon, so this might be for me. The X-Wing will be wait and see (but likely a must have due to the new Dutch Figure - he can't go without very well now can he?)

The figures sound great, can't wait to see some pictures of them and the new cards.

Silent Chazz
01-30-2004, 08:45 AM
I thought with the new Dutch figure, that Dutch was a Y-wing pilot, as Gold Leader? He would fit in an X-wing but it wouldn't be very ANH movie accurate.

I can't wait. I never owned an X-wing or Falcon so this is a chance for me to get both (Unless I pick up the upcoming X-wing with Red Leader).

aceguide
01-30-2004, 09:16 AM
This is all very good news. Especially the Falcon - which I have not had in my posession since 1985. Looking forward to seeing some of the details.

evenflow
01-30-2004, 11:09 AM
I have to admit I am really looking forward to all these figures. My question is, not sure, are these the rumored vintage style figures. Or are these just trilogy figures and the changed the name and card of the line again.

Dark Marble
01-30-2004, 12:14 PM
I would love to see vintage style packaging with the current levels of figure sculpting. I am not very interested in retro-styled figures. But these sound good to me. And I could always use another falcon if done right, so I am down with OTC!! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2004, 05:44 PM
John, are so young that you don't appreciate the vintage card? I'm not being mean, I know how old you are. I was just wondering.
Well, the new vintage-style packaging sounds okay. If it's kinda like the silver figures. But I'm not too sure about the original vintage cards. Yeah, maybe it's because I'm young, but that doesn't mean I hate everything from older people do. Just the vintage cards. Might be because by now I'm used to a large space for the figure (even POTF 2 had bigger bubbles than vintage) and a smaller space for the picture.

Also, the cheesy picture of Luke and Leia on the first few, the all-black outline, and that godawfully large picture of the character. It seems like they're selling a picture of the character with a figure as a bonus. And like I said before, I don't want for the packaging to change on all the figures, which doesn't seem to be the case anyway. Because if they did vintage style packaging for all the figures, with small bubbles, then that means less accessories again.

Now, hopefully the new vintage style things will be better. I'll hold judgement for when they show pictures.

Turbowars
01-30-2004, 05:53 PM
I see where you are coming from. Didn't it say that the picture would wrap around the bubble? I do like the fact that hasbro has started to decrease the size of the current bubble. Some of the early Saga figures from 03 look so stupid in the huge bubble, like the Imperial Officer.

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 06:02 PM
I see where you are coming from. Didn't it say that the picture would wrap around the bubble? I do like the fact that hasbro has started to decrease the size of the current bubble. Some of the early Saga figures from 03 look so stupid in the huge bubble, like the Imperial Officer.

I am wiht you on that. I dont like the "whole card bubble" If Hasbro went back to Nuetral poses they wouldn't need that bubble. I know they are putting ina few more accessories other than a gun and lightsaber, but they do not need that big of a bubble.

TheDarthVader
01-30-2004, 06:10 PM
I am with yall. The bubbles are too big. I am glad that Hasbro is decreasing the size of the bubble. I don't care about restyled vintage type figures but I look forward to new figures on the vintage style card. :)

SirSteve
01-30-2004, 07:47 PM
The LOGO (the "S" on "S"TAR WAR"S") wraps around the bubble and they had 2 versions of the package. 1 with a background image in it (sort of like the Saga original blister inserts) and the other was just black. They said the black stars one was the most recent one though...

Turbowars
01-30-2004, 09:27 PM
The LOGO (the "S" on "S"TAR WAR"S") wraps around the bubble and they had 2 versions of the package. 1 with a background image in it (sort of like the Saga original blister inserts) and the other was just black. They said the black stars one was the most recent one though...Where's the pics Steve????

JediTricks
01-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Sadly, I believe Hasbro isn't allowing images.

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 11:29 PM
It is sad. Maybe at there own private showing they will allow pics. Too bad Steve didnt have his James Bond ring on to get some pics. :D

Devo
01-31-2004, 12:50 PM
I swear I posted in this thread yesterday but it looks like my internet line was acting up and decided against co-operation. I'm not a fan of vintage packaging-maybe the new packaging will arouse feelings of nostalgia in older collectors but I just find vintage boxes plain and boring. I think it sounds bad but I may fall in line with everyone else when I see it. I wonder how long it will last? 6 months perhaps or is that an overestimate?

The Dagobah wave, while necessary also doesn't excite me a great deal. More core character redo's for ESB. I'm fairly certain there were other characters in that film besides Luke, Han, Leia, R2, 3PO, Yoda, Vader and Obi-wan but variations of these totally dominate the ESB line. I realise ESB didn't have quite as much variety as the other films but why is it that the only figures Hasbro seem intent on making (with some 2004 exceptions) are resculpts of core and background characters that have already been done? Please lets have more Hoth rebels, Imperials and Cloud city folk - my ESB collection is disturbingly lacking in diversity - most of my Hoth figures are Lukes. "Deck officer? DECK OFFICER!!??!!" "yes sir?" "do you know where commander skywalker is?" "why yes sir theres 3 of him in X-wing gear being briefed by one of 3 Hoth Leias" by his ship, 3 of him in '97 Hoth gear over there and a recent Hoth resculpt over there about to be drawn and quartered by a Wampa resculpt, in fact sir I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever be turned into a figure." "what about the hoth trooper resculpt?" "Sir I don't think I need to stress any further how ridiculously small that particular figure was, why he was even smaller than the notoriously diminutive figure of your good self in carbonite fatigues that came with the Jabbas palace diorama, not to mention that we don't even wear the same outfit". Will that about do it?

DarthQuack
01-31-2004, 10:22 PM
I think it will be nice to see some new packaging since we see a new one ever year pretty much, spices it up a bit to viewing your collection.

-Matt

evenflow
02-01-2004, 09:19 AM
I am looking forward to seeing this all. I hope that Hasbro isn't going to give anyone a hard time at NY.

plo koon 200
02-01-2004, 04:33 PM
At RS, they have a pic of the Falcon. The packaging is pretty cool. And the Kenner logo is back!!!

Beast
02-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Heh, they're ballsy to have posted that. Since Hasbro isn't allowing photos of them to be taken. Someone probably used one of those camera phones to snag a picture. Rebelscum is going to end up getting barred from the Hasbro showroom at Toy Fair if Hasbro finds out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-01-2004, 05:05 PM
At RS, they have a pic of the Falcon. The packaging is pretty cool. And the Kenner logo is back!!!Very cool! You can tell that this pic wasn't suppose to be taken. What do you mean by Kenner Logo? It says Kenner on it? So should I remove the pic?

plo koon 200
02-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Oh, sorry. I must have been unclear in my wording. On the packaging it says Kenner instead of Hasbro. Just like the old days. Not that I would know or anything.

evenflow
02-02-2004, 12:13 PM
I was surprised to see the pic, but i like how it looks.

PloKoon2385
02-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Hiya! In regards to the Falcon , I really hope its not the same mold as the POTF version. I have wanted a larger, more accurate and all around better version for quite some time now. I am not looking for the same thing with a few different marks and "effects" on it... Let's hope...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2004, 06:58 PM
The packaging is . . . ok. Very bland and boring, but it gets the job done. Hopefully on the figures there will be a pic of the character, I mean kinda ugly vintage cards are better than REALLY ugly boring cards.

As for buying the Falcon . . . if I move, I'll be making a Star Wars room with all kinds of different dioramas, so one more Falcon wouldn't hurt.

Reefer Shark
02-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Well if the box is any indication, it looks like it is the same ole Falcon mold. Kind of a bummer, but it was expected

I'm not sure what to think about that box artwork yet..... It does have that vintage look, but I remember more going on on the vintage Falcon box's artwork. I'll reserve my opinion until I see some better images. :neutral:

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 10:35 PM
There's no question, it's the same Falcon mold that's been around for 26 years now, only with different gimmicks. That is a darn shame IMO.

Beast
02-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Some info from the show, from The Private Universe. Sounds like Dagobah Vader, Luke: X-Wing Pilot, and Biker Scout may get added to the Hall of Fame Series? :)

UK Toy Fair 2004
Reported By - Jon Daniels [News Editor] Friday, January 30th 2004 - 09:15:48 PM

The UK Toy Fair is on in London at the moment and is running until Sunday...

The big news for Star Wars is that Hasbro and Lucas have confirmed the DVD release of the Original Trilogy and will be releasing more details in the next few days at www.starwars.com

Hasbro are also showing off whats currently called the Original Trilogy Collection - a set of 12 figures based on the Original Trilogy in retro packaging but featuring modern figures; also there's a few ships being shown including a repackaged Millenium Falcon. The figures on show are not finalised so I'm not going to report on what we saw just in case they don't come to light - as soon as they are confirmed we'll let you know. Hasbro expects to have the final line up sorted by the New York Toy Show in a few weeks time - not long to wait.

What no pictures? - That's right no pictures at the moment, nobody is allowed to take pictures but we hope to have some official images next week so stay tuned.

Hasbro UK Toy Fair Excel
Reported By - Dave M Sunday, February 1st 2004 - 08:43:30 PM

Hasbro UK didnt have a great deal to show at the London Excel Toy fair, however we did get a glimpse of things to come. Packaging Style will change to a more original black with Stars simular to the background here on TPU with a silver border alike the gold one on saga cards. This line is entitled Star Wars: Trilogy and will be released later in the year to co-inside with the DVD release. On show was a prototype box of the Millenium falcon, the item looks identical to the POTF verson in new packaging. After viewing the back of the box, I was suprise to see the figures listed on the back are all reissues. Han Solo (with commchip verson), Leia (freeze frame version), Darth Vader Dagobah (POTJ Version), Luke X wing (POTJ Version), Biker Scout (POTJ Version). Will 2004 be the year or reissues???
Also on show Darth Vaders Lightsaber in the new Style Trilogy packaging and a Prototype card back, which did show new figures: R2D2 Dagobah, Luke Dagobah, Obi Wan's Ghost and Yoda Dagobah (Im feeling a dagobah wave).
Also on show was wave 1 and 2 of clone wars animated, Ultra Figures wave 1 and 2, New X Wing and a couple of this years Saga Rage.
Not really alot, Hasbro's main focus in boys toys this year is Action Man, Transformers Unicron Wars and later in the year Enigon, Shrek 2 and The new Trading card game Duel Masters.

Very little to almost no time was spent explaining Star Wars, however it was better than GI Joe that got nothing new and no explaining time, we just walked past like it wasnt even there.

No photos inside the Hasbro Booth

very little Star Wars anywhere else, the main focus was Shrek 2, Yu-Gi-Oh and Duel Masters.

Vivid Imaginations had loads of new Lord Of The Rings, Spider-man 2 and TMNT. Bandai: Thunderbirds Movie, Power Rangers Ninja Storm and Teen Titans.

This time Next year people though, Episode 3 anyone?
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
02-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Well if the box is any indication, it looks like it is the same ole Falcon mold. Kind of a bummer, but it was expected

I'm not sure what to think about that box artwork yet..... It does have that vintage look, but I remember more going on on the vintage Falcon box's artwork. I'll reserve my opinion until I see some better images. :neutral:

A New Hope's Packaging had some dark haired boy playing with Stormtroopers surrounding the Falcon, with the Droids and Chewie at the chess table, Luke and Ben training, and Han stalking around with his blaster, eager to shoot some stormtroopers. They were supposed to be "in the Death Star hanger bay" if you imagined what the kid imagined. I think the ship was actually photographed on the kitchen table.

Empire Strikes Back packaging saw Leia Bespin, Han Bespin, Chewie, C-3PO, Lando, Lobot, and a cadre of Bespin Guards hanging around the ship, on a Cloud City box.

Return of the Jedi saw Luke Jedi, Leia (as Boussh) Lando in skiffguard disguise, Chewie, and Nien Numb (for whatever reason) versus Bib Fortuna, a Gamorrean, Ree-Yees, Squidhead, Klaatu, Weequay etc. on a Tatooine box.

The POTF2 box saw red packaging and a sealed Falcon with art work designed to make it look like it was firing pink lasers that were coming out of the red packaging.

DarthQuack
02-03-2004, 09:44 AM
I love seeing the old packaging, might as well start where it all began. At the beginning.

-Matt

PloKoon2385
02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
As an opener of all figures, I could care less about the packaging... But I have to say that I do like the "new" style. It is very simple, yet nicely done. As far as the line goes, I like the idea of a whole line devoted to the original trilogy. Do you know if there is going to be a separate series (ie. Saga) that will have prequel figs??

Kidhuman
02-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I like the way the new box looks. Basic and simple. A throw back to the old days.

Man Tycho, how do you remember all that? Do you still have the boxes?

Silent Chazz
02-03-2004, 10:32 PM
PloKoon, I hope there IS a PT line in the near future and that the Saga line continues. What I mean is, I hope JUST LIKE POTF2 and Ep 1 lines were end up being sort of like maybe a Saga Line and Ep3 line kind of deal.