PDA

View Full Version : New Hoth Rebel Soldier is a Midget...

jad
01-30-2004, 05:52 PM
My wife found the new Hoth Rebel soldier at target for me the other day. As this was my first new find for 2004 I was pretty stolked. It's a pretty good figure, sculpt wise, but upon setting him next to one of my other figures I realized how small he is. And i'm serious, I put him next to an ewok and he's only a little taller than teebo! I know Hasbro never really pays much attention to scale, but this is a bit rediculous.

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Yeah he is vertically challenged. Even in a package I could see the difference of him next to another figure. It has been discussed in prior threads too. He is without a doubt the smallest human. Maybe he was just a teenager when he joined the Alliance.

Devo
01-31-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm glad someone gave this a thread all of its own. This figure is hilarious. I found the Hoth wave at last and due to insufficient money at the time picked him up instead of the new Hoth luke - mistake. Sure its an OK sculpt but FFS what happened with the size? Was this a conscious decision on Hasbro's part? Were they trying to make it to scale with an AT-AT? It just looks absurd next to the other Hoth soldiers and is therefore ruled out of my echo base shelf. He's smaller than most princess Leia figures and barely taller than the newer small Leias, he's smaller than the Carbo Han that came with the jabba diorama and I point to that figure because he was the previous holder of the 'unexplainably short figure' title.

As Kidhuman said the Rebels must be recruiting teenagers and pre-adolescents. Regulation heights for military personel hello?

LTBasker
01-31-2004, 02:25 PM
I found the reason. Luke obviously recruited this crack team of Commando's on his own. As standing side by side, Luke looks 6 feet tall compared to the Hoth Trooper. So he may be too short for a Stormtrooper, but he'll show Leia that there is shorter than that!

BoShek
02-01-2004, 09:43 PM
This reminds me of the Simpsons figure Data and how Playmates made him way too small. :)

slick169
02-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Nice for dioramas...All troops aren't the same height...so they won't all look like clones.

jedi master sal
02-02-2004, 11:14 AM
I too noticed the scale size when I was inventorying some of my figures over the weekend. I had come across some POTF2 Deluxe Hoth Soldiers and compared them with my fairly new aquisitions of the New HRS. Wow was I surprised to see that the older one was a full head taller! That's going to change how I complete my diorama now. True enough though that a difference in size in comparable to real life but sheesh, that much smaller?

Amazingly, I stopped army building these at 5. Not because of size mind you, but now that has played into this as well. Should I ever reconsider army building this figure, I'm going to take that into account.

Darth_Billy_Jack
02-04-2004, 12:47 AM
This is easily one of my least favorite of the new figures... the sculpt is OK, but i hate his face. and i dont care how short he is... would it have been to much to ask to pose him a little better? a hoth soldier figure should be required by law to be posed to hold his rifle w/ both hands. this guy looks like he should be firing a six-gun from the hip. why does hasbro have a problem sculpting figures that can hold their weapons properly? is it "too violent" to have a storm trooper who can aim his gun? 13 different stormtrooper sculpts and the closest we get is the freakin mail away Han. Even the 1st endor rebel soldier.. if you look at his hands he was obviously originally supposed to be able to hold his rifle at the ready, but for some reason the just decided not to bed his elbows. why? at least they've done better w/ the clone troopers.