PDA

View Full Version : Having any luck remaining Spoiler free?

Exhaust Port
01-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Being that you're interested in remaining spoiler free for the last of the SW movies, how's it going so far?

Being that this forum is where I get most of my SW info, I can avoid the Spoiler section but I still occasionally see a thread topic which in itself is a spoiler. Other than that and a few non-descript pictures I'm still quite in the dark with what we have in store for us.

I don't know why I'm so set on being spoiler free for the SW movies. No other movie that I've had an interest in seeing have I bothered to not hear anything about it before heading in to the theater. Perhaps I'm trying to maintain the same suprise reaction I had when I saw the OT in the theater as a kid. I had no idea what I was instore for and was blown away everytime. The first 2 PT movies were a blast to see as a spoiler free viewer. Darth Maul? The Obi/Qui/Maul duel? Jango Fett? The appearance of the Death Star? All awesome suprises.

stillakid
01-31-2004, 10:26 AM
I wanted to be spoiler free for the first two crap-quels but I decided for numero 3 that I didn't care anymore. The major set pieces are a forgone conclusion (ie the duel) so there's no surprise there. Apart from that, it was the little additions and things that managed to fail in the other two so I figure that if I learn about them beforehand, it'll take some of the :eek: , as in "what the hell was George thinking! :eek: " reaction off when I actually get into the theater. Part of the pre-conditioning to be disappointed. Call it a bad attitude, but he's responsible. Now, this being the case, if I go this negatively, there's no where to go but UP! Right? :) Maybe Georgey :beard: won't disappoint this time. I've heard that miracle do happen.

Kidhuman
01-31-2004, 03:18 PM
For the mopst part I am spoiler free. I have looked at the footage of them making the fight scne, but that was basic knowledge anyhow that Obi and Anakin fought. I also looked at the clonetrooper cover of SW insider. I dont consider those spoilers since it is just basic knowledge that was going to happen. I still dont know plot lines and what characters are in the movie except for the main characters and I want it that way.

jjreason
01-31-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm doing pretty well myself. I used to use the "see new posts" button on the old forums quite a bit, but stopped when I read one thread title that gave away a significant epIII event in the title. So I guess I've spoiled myself for one occurrence. Both times in the past I've done well too - until the novel comes out a few weeks before the movie. That did me in for Episodes I and II, unsure as yet how I'm going to be able to avoid falling into that trap this time.

dr_evazan22
01-31-2004, 10:02 PM
I've done fairly well. I've resisted the urge to look in the spoiler section, but like jj, I've seen the thread titles. But, this ealry in the game, there's still a lot that can change so I don't really worry about the thread titles. I don't consider anything from official sources, Like SW Insider, as spoilers.

B'Omarr Monkey
01-31-2004, 10:42 PM
Unless you count seeing pictures of Anakin with long unkempt hair, or knowing that there are wookiees in ep 3, I can confidently say that I am spoiler free, which may be why I get into so much trouble posting questions about why Vader doesn't have any emotional response to seeing Tatooine again in ANH, or if the Jedi's get military ranks in the Clone Wars, etc.

One of the worst experience I had was reading the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade script (the real thing, not some forged deal) before I saw the movie. The script was fantastic--actually better than the movie, or at least that's how I felt once I saw it. It's never captured a sense of magic for me in viewings since.

I had no idea Qui-Gon was going to die in TPM, and was glad for it. Imagine if we had all heard in advance that Darth vader was Luke's father before seeing TESB....

stillakid
01-31-2004, 11:51 PM
Imagine if we had all heard in advance that Darth vader was Luke's father before seeing TESB....

Arrgggh! I did. I was in 5th grade and one of the girls in my class (super hot, now that I remember her in retrospect...she moved to Hawaii...god, should have kept track of her...but I digress)....anyway, she had gone to see ESB on the opening weekend and came back to school and blabbed about it to everyone. With no time to run away or react, I suddenly knew all about the father thing. sigh. What are you going to do.... she was hot though, for a 5th grader. I can only imagine what she became in a few years...in Hawaii. Ahh, those were the days....

jjreason
02-01-2004, 01:34 AM
It was blabbed at my public school too. I remember being actually choked at my dad for not taking us to see it first showing - I had always claimed to be the biggest fan in the school, etc - and to be asked if I knew THAT tidbit of info was a little much. I was verklempt, to say the least.

Pendo
02-01-2004, 05:53 AM
I'm not doing as well as I would like, but doing a lot better than I thought I would. I still read official information, and because of Hyperspace that means there is a lot of it, so I know more than I would like. I haven't read any unofficial spoilers but have accidently come across the odd name or bit of information but nothing overly important. As for the story, haven't a clue :D.

PENDO!

evenflow
02-01-2004, 09:07 AM
I am pretty spoiler free (although not perfect). All I know is what ever the Insider shares (and maybe 1 or 2 more things, but nothing serious). I try not to even go in this forum in fear of seeing somethingI dont want.

scruffziller
02-02-2004, 06:22 AM
Not even close.:D It is a bummer too because I was able to see AOTC almost entirely in the 3 trailers they showed.:cry:

JON9000
02-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Man, its getting tougher all the time. The ROTS toy live gives stuff away so I have to avoid that forum now. There's also a new guy that has dialogue from the film apparently made into his sig line. :(

Maybe I should just go into seclusion for a few months....

jjreason
02-01-2005, 06:06 PM
I feel like I'm doing very well. I haven't even seen any trailers yet (not that I'm avoiding them, but they haven't been in front of any movies I've seen and I'm not downloading anything that big due to PC crappiness). I bought my Sneak Preview figures and opened them, so I've read the blurbs about those characters. I've also read the crawl, which is very cool in my opinion. Getting harder and harder though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Man, its getting tougher all the time. The ROTS toy live gives stuff away so I have to avoid that forum now. There's also a new guy that has dialogue from the film apparently made into his sig line. :(

Maybe I should just go into seclusion for a few months....
Who has the dialogue? Is it General Grievous? If that's what you're thinking, well, he said in the cartoon.

As far as being spoiler-free, I haven't done so well. I know some things that would make the toenails of the complete non-spoiler folks curl. :eek: However I didn't read the summary of the novel or script so I'm not completely clued in to everything.

For TPM, at CI, I got some book about the film. On the last page it talked about Qui-Gon being dead. I saw it and was like, "ooohhhhh crap . . ." Then for AOTC I knew about the Obi-Wan vs. Jango and Mace vs. Jango fights, since the storyboards were all over. I knew Jango was gonna die over a year in advance.

I almost wish I didn't know as much as I do about ROTS. :cry:

Slicker
02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
I've read every tid-bit about the movies and I don't care. It's totally different when you're in the movies because I knew alot about AOTC but was still surprised at almost everything that happened. When in front of the big screen I totally forgot what I read on the internet and such and just lost myself in the movie.

Those of you that are spoiler free are in for a good movie, IMO.

JON9000
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
For TPM, at CI, I got some book about the film. On the last page it talked about Qui-Gon being dead. I saw it and was like, "ooohhhhh crap . . ." Then for AOTC I knew about the Obi-Wan vs. Jango and Mace vs. Jango fights, since the storyboards were all over. I knew Jango was gonna die over a year in advance.

I almost wish I didn't know as much as I do about ROTS. :cry:

If he said it in the cartoon I guess its no biggie.

I know how you feel about TPM. I bought the soundtrack and one of the track titles gave away Qui-Gon's death. That sucked.

I didn't see AOTC at midnight, I waited until the next day. Of course like a dummy, I stopped in on SSG before I went so I knew what was going to go down with Yoda. I kinda wish Jango had stuck around. He was cool.

I can't wait to see ROTS. I've only the trailer once and I have promised myself to avoid the others!

Ji'dai
02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm still spoiler-free for the most part. I avoid reading the prequel update in the Insider and I haven't watched the trailer either. I try to stay away from the ROTS sections here as well. Of course the toys are available prior to the movie so I'll see all the characters off-screen first, but I actually avoid reading the card backs. (I don't always read them anyway).

I was pretty much spoiler-free for AOTC too but just before we were about to leave to see it, my 12 year old cousin blurted out that his friend had the comic and Mace chopped Jango's head off. I mean, jeez...

General_Grievous
02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
If he said it in the cartoon I guess its no biggie.

Not to worry, Jon. My sig is completely spoiler-free, since it was spoken in the Clone Wars cartoon, which came out almost a year ago.

But back to topic, I've never been spoiler-free for that long, for any of the prequels, actually.

About a month before TPM came out, there was a small mom-and-pop bookstore that "accidentally" put out the TPM Junior Novelization early. Normally, I'd get the adult novel, but in this case, the movie that I had waited so long for was staring me in the face (in novel form!:D), so I couldn't resist buying it. Long story short, I read it in a night and I knew everything about the movie before the action figures were even out.:rolleyes:

Then, about two weeks before the AOTC merchandise came out in 2002, a similar thing happened. This time I was in Barnes and Noble and I passed by the comic book section when something caught my eye. It was the AOTC poster on a book. At first, I thought it was just some movie scrapbook, but I opened it up and saw that it was the comic adaptation of the movie! Again, it was put out too early, again I knew all about the movie before it came out. But there was one little surprise that I didn't know about.

The only thing in AOTC that I wasn't aware of was the Death Star cameo, which was left out of the comic (thank god!). That sure was a big surprise.:classic:

But for ROTS, I've been reading some of the stuff on the internet, mainly from Supershadow.com (very bad reputation), and to be honest with you, I believe about 60% of the stuff that's posted on there, because it sounds reliable enough, and the descriptions fit in with the images I've seen on the net and in the trailers, but honestly, I won't really know for sure until April or earlier.

I guess my problem is I'm either too curious or too impatient.:crazed: LOL

Rocketboy
02-01-2005, 08:49 PM
I've been pretty good.
I've read a spoiler here and there. Nothing too big I think (or nothing that I didn't already know).
I have also seen a few pics that were not labeled as spoiler pics.
I've also read all the officially released stuff, like the opening crawl, which IS NOT a spoiler!

As for the Qui-Gon death in TPM, I was perfect with the spoilers until that damn soundtrack. And the toys for AOTC.
Frickin' idiots! Gosh!

JON9000
02-01-2005, 11:58 PM
With TPM, if you had the soundtrack and had seen the trailers, it didn't take a genious to figure out almost the entire story, including which part represented the climax of the film.

AOTC was a little better at not tipping its entire hand, although I thought the second trailer gave a little too much away, and I conjectured on my own that Anakin's mom would somehow bite the bullet if he was going to be on Tatooine driving a swoop recklessly.

I think the best thing for me to do is avoid the trailers from here on out, or maybe Lucas will let me see ROTS early! :D

JediTricks
02-02-2005, 05:04 AM
I've been trying so hard with this one because it really is the last chance to see a Star Wars movie totally fresh, but everybody out there has been making it so dang hard, even Lucasfilm is giving away stuff that I really wanted to learn only on opening day (so I avoid SW.com as much as possible). Even still, it's been like pushing jell-o uphill and it's only going to get worse, but my resolve remains firm.

Droid
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I have not seen the trailers. I really don't want to know spoilers. I get frustrated with people on this site who often decide something isn't a spoiler and say, "Well everyone knows that Luke's middle name is Jarvis" or "the only spoiler I know is that Jabba sings a song in the next one". (Both fake spoilers)

Once the novel comes out, I will stop visiting this site until after I have seen the movie. There will be too many dangerous people on the site.

kool-aid killer
02-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Im still trying to avoid spoilers like the plague. Truth be told, i was ****ed once i read the crawl last week because it gave me an idea of what the movie was going to open up like. Its tough trying to stay spoiler free, so much stuff is going to be coming out that im scared of going into the theater and knowing whats going to happen, aside from the most obvious of events. I would hate to be sitting through the movie thinking "When is this supposed to happen?" instead of laying back and enjoying the magic that is Star Wars.

Pendo
02-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I've been pretty good being SPOILER free. All I know about the movie is what is said on Hyperspace, but other than that I don't really know anything. The gents in work keep trying to spoil it for me, but so far they've been unsuccessful!

PENDO!

El Chuxter
02-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I've done an okay job. I've checked out a few minor details, since I figure those will be ruined by inconsiderate people anyway. :)

As for ESB, I was in line for it, and this fat dude with only eight fingers walked out with his date and yelled, "Who would've thought Vader was Luke's father?" Really made me mad.

stillakid
02-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I've done an okay job. I've checked out a few minor details, since I figure those will be ruined by inconsiderate people anyway. :)

As for ESB, I was in line for it, and this fat dude with only eight fingers walked out with his date and yelled, "Who would've thought Vader was Luke's father?" Really made me mad.

Did he lose those fingers before or after yelling that out?

Ji'dai
02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
You shoulda punched that fat man in the gut and stole his hot blue-haired girlfriend, Chuxter.

Rocketboy
02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Im still trying to avoid spoilers like the plague. Truth be told, i was ****ed once i read the crawl last week because it gave me an idea of what the movie was going to open up like. So why did you click on that topic when you knew that it would set up what is about to happen if you're trying to avoid ALL info?

dr_evazan22
02-02-2005, 09:29 PM
For those of you who read EU - you may want to avoid Labyrinth of Evil as the book ends on the opening scene of ROTS.

As for me, I've only read officially released info. I was 'spoiled' for AOTC but didn't think it really made a difference. Seeing a still image, or knowing an inspiration for something doesn't spoil it for me.

Now, of course since I only view officially released stuff, I will of course read the novel when it is released (at least that's still the plan).

kool-aid killer
02-03-2005, 09:07 AM
So why did you click on that topic when you knew that it would set up what is about to happen if you're trying to avoid ALL info?

I was in la la land when i clicked the topic. I was thinking it was just some type of advertisment that was going to be posted throughout the net to promote the film. And since i didnt see anything about it being a possible spoiler i thought it was safe to do so.

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 09:09 AM
I have seen a few pictures and the trailer, thats about it.

BobaPhlegm
02-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I have been all into spoilers up until a few weeks ago when I learned some information that made my heart sink when I realized it would no longer be a surprise in the theater (I guess it was a cool surprise when I found out, but not the same). I am now doing my best to remain spoiler-free the rest of the way. Some of my favorite Star Wars memories are the surprises (Vader turning on the Emperor, the Death Star in AOTC). I suppose the source I heard my spoiler info from could be wrong (part of me hopes so so I am surprised, but the other part of me wants the spoilers to be right cause if they are, this movie will rock huge amounts of monkey balls!), but alot of the spoiler stuff I've heard has later turned out to be confirmed.

CaptainSolo1138
02-03-2005, 10:28 AM
I've been trying to remain spoiler free, but the Dark Side is strong. I love seeing the pics and can't seem to stop myself from clicking the links!