PDA

View Full Version : Do Not, I repeat DO NOT buy Luke Skywalker - Jabba's Palace

I am Jabba the Hutt
01-31-2004, 04:23 PM
Unless you're a completist, carded collector or you like crap quality figures, do not buy this figure. I just bought it the other day and I have to say, it is without a shadow of a doubt, the worst quality Star Wars figure I have ever had the misfortune to buy. The arms easily come off, they are so loose, they're only held in by a little peg, the joints are all loose, the hands, boots and arms are almost rubbery.
The shame is, the sculpt is really cool, they got Mark Hamills likeness dead on, I can't fault Hasbro there but the quality of the figure is just awful.

This figure is so bad, I've thrown it away. Yeah, the sculpting on the POTF2 figure is inferior but the figure is sturdy and good quality. The cloak sucks too. I'm normally very upbeat about Star Wars figures, my very favorite figure is Anakin Skywalker - Tatooine Attack, that figure has a god awful action feature and the figure isn't perfect but I like it but this Luke figure, gosh, I'm not impressed at all, I can't believe Hasbro can get away with making such crap like this.

What has happened to Hasbro? I was really, really, really looking forward to this figure. Don't buy this figure, you will be disappointed, I despair of Hasbro, I for sure won't be buying any Star Wars figures for a long time.

I hated the action features but at least most of the figures were of a good quality. If you already have this figure, compare it to the Episode I Jar Jar Binks figure for quality, you'll see the difference. Crap Hasbro, just crap.

Rant over. :dis: :frus: :mad:

Beast
01-31-2004, 04:29 PM
Disagree 100%, the Luke figure is great. The cloak could be better, but other then that it's one of the best Luke: Jedi's ever. You must have got a defective one, or something. I like it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Boba Fetish
01-31-2004, 04:34 PM
What??? Suit yourself. This figure is awesome!!! I think you started this post 'cause you love negative publicity. :D

I am Jabba the Hutt
01-31-2004, 04:37 PM
Disagree 100%, the Luke figure is great. The cloak could be better, but other then that it's one of the best Luke: Jedi's ever. You must have got a defective one, or something. I like it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

It IS the best sculpt of Luke Jedi ever, it's just the figure sucks. It's the quality of it that bothers me. It's a badly made figure and the materials they used for is are just awful. I have noticed a steady decline in the actual quality of the figures Hasbro has been producing. The sculpts have got better but the figures have just got worse. Yeah, the Phantom Menace figures were more expensive but they were of a better quality.

Bad Hasbro.

I am Jabba the Hutt
01-31-2004, 04:42 PM
What??? Suit yourself. This figure is awesome!!! I think you started this post 'cause you love negative publicity. :D

I started this thread out of sheer annoyance and disappointment. I was looking forward to this figure so much, I love the sculpt, I was really excited about the figure.

What ever happened to Quality control? Since the saga line, Hasbro's figures have been off a lesser quality than previous likes like POTF2 and the Phantom Menace Line.

If the sculpting has got better, why can't the actual quality of the figures get better?

Hasbro's obviously cutting corners to save money.

Read back over my posts. I'm very upbeat about Star Wars figures and usually don't really have a bad word to say about them.

darthzirock
01-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Dude, you're tripping if you think people aren't going to buy this figure just on your say-so! So far, yours are the only negative comments on this figure. Others who've bought it have only said they wished Hasbro had gone with a plastic cloak instead of cloth. Once I actually find one of these, I'll make up my own mind.

This figure is so bad, I've thrown it away.

So, do you typically just toss $5 in the garbage? If you were so disappointed by it, and only just bought it, why not return it & get your money back? I mean, $5 might not be a fortune, although to a lot of people in the world right now, sadly, it is!

jjreason
01-31-2004, 05:41 PM
That's too bad. I've seen a lot of posts in favor of the figure (most notably from JediTricks - and he doesn't like anything :) . )

I'm looking forward to getting the figure, but am hoping against hope yours was defective. When I get figs that seem to soft, I put them in the fridge for a bit. Sometimes it cures them up (almost like they didn't get enough drying time in the factory) and they don't go as soft again. Just a hint....

Kidhuman
01-31-2004, 05:56 PM
I havent heard anyone else rant about this figure. Your only legitimate complaint is that his arms fell off. Maybe you got a defective one. You should of grabbed the package and briought it back. I am sure that the store would of refunded your money. They would of even let you get another and open it, just to make sure his arm didnt fall off?

BTW was it is whole arm or just by the wrist? Maybe Vader got a hold of him before you did. :D

Turbowars
01-31-2004, 07:54 PM
I havent heard anyone else rant about this figure. Your only legitimate complaint is that his arms fell off. Maybe you got a defective one. You should of grabbed the package and briought it back. I am sure that the store would of refunded your money. They would of even let you get another and open it, just to make sure his arm didnt fall off?

BTW was it is whole arm or just by the wrist? Maybe Vader got a hold of him before you did. :DOne reason I stay a carded collector. I do open a few here that there, but this one will stay sealed.

Kidhuman
01-31-2004, 08:06 PM
I am with you. I thinkI have opened three figures in the last yearrthat were mine.(the rest were my stepsons) and the ones I did open I eventually gave to him.

DarthQuack
01-31-2004, 10:11 PM
I will have to pick one up for myself and see how it looks.

-Matt

plasticfetish
02-01-2004, 05:46 AM
The arms easily come off, they are so loose, they're only held in by a little peg, the joints are all loose, the hands, boots and arms are almost rubbery. The shame is, the sculpt is really cool...
I can understand your frustration. I agree that the plastic used is really soft and the joints are a great deal more "bendy" than they should be. And I only say "should be", because we've had articulated figures in the past that aren't this soft. I'll admit, I've bought 2 of these (opened both) now, and I was pretty worried that the arms would break at the elbow or the waist joint which is soft would come apart. As of right now, nothing's broken. Who knows how long it will last... I gave one Luke to my 6 year old son and we'll see what happens. ;)

Why so rubbery? My guess is that using this kind of softer plastic (which they started using with the AOTC preview figures I think) is either a safety precaution or it's simply cheaper and more convenient than previous harder plastics. "Safer" because when little parts like hands, forearms or legs are broken off and maybe swallowed, they will cause less damage to a child's esophagus. (This seems like silly logic to a certain degree, because you'd think that a better made toy wouldn't break in the first place.) "Cheaper" because the softer plastic can be pulled from a mold more quickly because it's more flexible. Keeps the line moving. As well, the mold can be made with less parts and still allow for complicated detail and "undercutting (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=undercutting)." The more flexible plastic would bend and pull from the mold more easily. I'm also gonna guess that this softer plastic takes to fine detail like cloth texture or more detailed facial features more readily. (Hi, I'm Plasticfetish and I studied sculpting and mold making in college. Amongst other things.) Lastly, there's the more cynical, "the factory is using cheaper, softer plastics to simply increase profit" theory... but I'm not quite that cynical. ;)

All in all, I'm generally not happy that we've had to give one thing simply to get another. That we've lost some construction quality to get more detailed and better articulated figures, but that's where things are with toys in general today. Hasbro is competing with McFarlane and their super-detailed, super-flimsy sports figures. As well as Toy-Biz with LOTR... and all the rest. It would be nice if every figure was designed with function in mind first and then form second, but that's not what adult collectors spend their money on. These days, adult collectors seem to be carrying the market and kids (and kid quality toys) are kind of an after thought.

I like this Luke. It could be better and it took me a little selective shopping to find a decent one, but I really don't think we're getting another shot at this one. So, I'm gonna put him on the shelf and hope he doesn't fall apart.

TheDarthVader
02-01-2004, 01:39 PM
I like the Jedi Luke as well as the other forumites. These are the times that I realize how happy I am to be a carded collector. You don't have to worry about things like this: joints, quality, breaking, etc. :)

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Except for the right hip which feels loose, on mine I am pulling this figure's leg... ;) ... and arms and nothing's coming off - although I can see that excessive force will liberate those elbows. The only joints on mine that are even remotely loose are those knees and the aforementioned hip, and none are floppy, friction is doing its job, but not as tight as the elbows, neck, wrists, etc.. Sorry to hear yours is so bad. Sounds to me like one of two possibilities:

1) yours is defective, and should be returned;
2) yours has excessive mold-release oil on these parts, a soapy bath and clean rinse & dry might fix that.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly dogged the limbs and joints in my review of this figure, but on mine they're not anywhere near as bad as you're reporting.

jjreason, you just made the list!!! ;)

Speaking of lists though, don't make me point out my list (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=304261#304261) of the 2003 product I liked again. :D

TIE Pilot
02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
I just received this figure a few days ago.. and I like it. Yes, it has it's problems such as..

A horrible soft goods cloak. I dislike soft goods to begin with, but this cloak is just awful. The cloth cloak on my vintage Luke Jedi is better than this. I've heard that there are two cloak variations.. one with a small hood and one with a big one. I got the small one.. and it looks terrible.

The paint apps. They just keep getting worse! I was looking at some of my old POTF2, Episode I and POTJ figures.. and the paint apps are soooo much nicer. But since the tail end of the POTJ line and the beginning of the Saga line.. the paint apps have gone downhill. It seems most every figure I get has some paint slop.. and I can't tell you how many times I get a figure that's cross-eyed. You would think that with a figure like Jedi Luke there'd be very little slop. After all.. he's ALL BLACK except for his face. But I opened this figure up and not only did his eyes look wonky.. but there was paint splatter all over his face. Not to mention a few spots on his head that weren't painted at all. Really sad.

But those are the only problems I have with this figure. Sure the plastic isn't as rigid as I'd like.. but it seems sturdy enough. I REALLY like the elbow cuts Hasbro is doing these days so arms can be either straight or positioned at a 90 angle.

But Hasbro: PLEASE start hiring people with better eyesight to paint the figures!!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2004, 07:30 PM
I just got this figure today, and I have to say, this is one of (if not THE) best figures I've ever bought. I've wanted a good Jedi Luke for a loooong time, and now we finally got a perfectr Jabba's Palace version. Hopefully someday they'll be able to make a figure of this quality for the Endor/Death Star II scenes.

Way to go Hasbro!

CrossWizard
02-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Are you sure you didn't buy a knock off, or bootleg or just a defective figure? Cause mine not only looks great but I can pose him and move his limbs just fine without any fear of bending or breaking him.

I just hope that if Hasbro has an Endor Luke planned that they use ball jointed shoulders to allow for a better and wider double handed saber grasp.

vulcantouch
02-03-2004, 08:56 PM
-happen to still have his gun around? i'll be happy to take it off yer hands, i'd hate for it to go to waste :classic: