PDA

View Full Version : Target + Star Wars = No More?

Bubo
02-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi. I've been out of the collecting circuit for a few months now. I visited Target in Hodgkins, IL a few weeks ago and found a General Rieekan and a few Jedi Council packs there. There were no basic figures on the pegs.

When I called today to ask if they had gotten a shipment in, the man on the phone told me that they just had Star Wars for Christmas, and weren't expecting any new Star Wars toys in "in the forseeable future." Is this true? Has Target stopped carrying Star Wars toys? Can anyone from Target or just in general confirm this?

Also, I really haven't been collecting since August, but everywhere I went(TRU, KayBee, Target, WalMart) pretty much didn't have any new figures. All they had were the old style figures (blue package, no gold stripe on the lefthand side). Where would be the best brick-and-mortar place to get the new Star Wars figures?

Thank you for your time.

Kidhuman
02-01-2004, 12:43 PM
I have found luck at Wal-Mart. I have seen newer stuff at Target too. I picked up an R2 and R1 about two weeks ago. Alot of retailers to resets after Christmas to re organize their toy depts. This might be whatss going on there. Also KB is goingout of business and closing 350 stores so good luck there as well. I have stopped going to TRU since the closest one tome is 45 minutes away and never has anything new.

Reefer Shark
02-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey Bubo,
The Targets here carry new SW figures along with the Clone Wars animated line. I've personally found everything new (except Jedi Luke) at Target.

I think that employee was talking out of his arse.... Target toy dept employees tend to do that sometimes. They don't like us collectors because they think we're like those rude Hot Wheels guys :rolleyes: . You're best bets are probably Target, Wal-Mart, TRU, and Meijer (if you have them in your area).

btw: Welcome to SSG from a fellow newbie!

TheDarthVader
02-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Target not having Star Wars= MALARKEY . I just picked up R1-G4, R2-D2 Jabba's Sail Barge, Luke Jabba's Palace, and R-3PO at Target in the past two weeks. These are brand new figures. It is simple: that guy lied to you about Star Wars toys. I am sure, at some point, your Target will get more figures. Just because their shipments of SW toys have not arrived in a month does not mean they have stopped getting them.

But besides that, welcome and look at TRU, KB, and Wal Mart.

BoShek
02-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Were those 3 packs ever reduced at Target?

slick169
02-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Target is slow on restocking the figures but they have been my best bet over the last month. They also seem to restock wave 1 of the cartoon figures a little faster.

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 04:38 AM
Jan to March are the dead months for collecting, the stores slow their ordering and stocking because there are less buyers and also they're waiting to see what's at Toy Fair. I hate it, last year was the worst, around here the drought lasted until October for me.

B'Omarr Monkey
02-02-2004, 10:00 AM
My nearest Target (about 54 minutes away) hasn't had anything to speak of for ages. i went in there last Thursday and all they had was one of each of the animated versions of Anakin, Obi-Wan and Asajj V.. I bought all three, which were the first 3 figures I've found in months that I didn't already have.

I was being optimistic that TRUs flyer with it's buy $14.99 worth of SW toys get one 3 3/4" figure free, meant that they were going to stock new product. When I got there it was the same old batch of Zuttons and Lott Dods that they've had for years. They had two sets of the Rieeken deluxe wave, and nothing else. I could tell that no restocking had occurred since I'd been in there last because the peg arrangements were exactly the same.

I think Hasbro just doesn't have the interest in pushing their SW product. All their other stuff (Transformers, etc. seems to be filling the shelves--even Batman, which hasn't had an interesting addition to its line in probably close to a decade). maybe they just renewed the license to keep anyone else from having it.

Up until the Mon Mothma wave I used to buy three of all the figures, one to open, one to keep carded, and one to give my kids when they were old enough (or if they never became interested to sell, trade, whatever). That Mon Mothma wave was the first wave that was impossible to find (until a couple years later), and I was just content to find one of each figure. That's how I've been doing it since. I tried to go back to buying two again when TPM came out, but the Sio Bibble wave killed that as well. Now, I can't even find one of each figure. Just the money that Hasbro has lost from me alone over the years should make them rethink their distribution strategies.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 10:27 AM
I know i'm not alone when i say that i couldn't care if Target was giving away new SW figures for free, on plates of gold, with a free chilled beverage, as i LOATHE Target and nearly all its employees. I said "nearly" as i called a target back home a few days ago and actually talked to a young fellow collector and he was VERY helpful and knew EXACTLY what i was looking for. However, the other employees, every other employee at a Target i've come in contact with have been next to useless. They:
A. NEVER know WTF they're talking about.
B. Are very rude to collectors
C. act like they're doing a huge favor when you ask them a question or two.

Man, do i ever hate Target stores. :D

DarthChuckMc
02-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Man, do i ever hate Target stores. :D

Thanks JMG!

as I sit here sobbing, whilst taking off my Bullseye nametag and red collared Polo :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks JMG!

as I sit here sobbing, whilst taking off my Bullseye nametag and red collared Polo :(

Ah, there there friend, you are probably one of the elite few that aren't complete wastes of space in those stores!! So, put your chin up, wipe off that bullseye name tag and iron that shirt, as you are a great Target employee!!!! (cue dramatic ceremonial music) :D

bobafrett
02-04-2004, 01:58 AM
I interviewed for a job at Target, but I think I need to many more hours than they were willing to give me. I even went out and bought a set of tan pants and a dark red sweatshirt. I thought they would see that I dressed like a Target employee, but I was rejected. Oh, well. I seriously doubt that Target will stop selling Star Wars. It just may be slower being a non movie year.

darthzirock
02-04-2004, 02:28 AM
I think Hasbro just doesn't have the interest in pushing their SW product. All their other stuff (Transformers, etc. seems to be filling the shelves--even Batman, which hasn't had an interesting addition to its line in probably close to a decade). maybe they just renewed the license to keep anyone else from having it.

Um, Hasbro doesn't have the Batman toy license anymore. It went over to Mattel, where they are screwing it up just as badly as Hasbro did, with endless Batman redecos and short-packing the few villains they actually make (so far, only The Joker, Mr. Freeze, and Killer Croc in the 7-inch line, and the only one I've actually seen at retail and bought was The Joker). If you're still seeing Hasbro Batman stuff on the shelves (and I know I see it all the time), it's old, unsold backstock.

As far as SW at Target, I was at the Hickory, NC, store tonight & all they had left was an animated Mace Windu CW, a couple of Hoth Rebel Troopers and R-3POs, and a couple of Ultra C-3POs and General Rieekans. The Hickory Wal*Mart had nothing on its SW pegs--all 8 pegs were EMPTY! :mad:

plasticfetish
02-04-2004, 02:37 AM
I've a bunch of all of these stores near me. Target has been, and seems to regularly be the place that gets in new merchandise. It's not much and it's usually only once a week, but it's something. TRU has gotten in a few select items, but most of them near me are still burdened by old merchandise. Same goes with KB, I'll see 2 or 3 new figures and then a wall full of older Saga stuff. Wal-Mart's been the biggest disappointment. They used to have new items all the time and at the lowest prices, but for the last year it's been slim pickings.

kool-aid killer
02-04-2004, 10:47 AM
The past year Target has been my best store around here. They seem to get new toys in at a decent pace. Was there a promotion at TRU? If so is it still on or is it done? The last time i went to TRU i found the green clone 3 pack.