PDA

View Full Version : Wooho!! "Pirates of the Caribbean" action figures!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 04:20 PM
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=155&show_article=143

NECA will be doing these bad boys and lemme be the first to say: WOOOHOOO!!!! I think we decided that these figures are needed and NECA has answered our hopes!!! (does happy dance) :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Let me just say, "Yay!"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 04:37 PM
and let me reply to that with "yarrrrrrrrrr!!!"

There are so many charcters/playsets that could be done with this line:
Jack Sparrow (captain if you please)
Barbossa (w/ Jack the monkey!)
Elizabeth (grrrrrrrowl!)
Will
Two-pack: those two "comical pirates" whose names elude me
Commadore Norrington
Gov Swan
Mr. Gibbs
the pirate w/ no tongue (w/ parrot!)
two-pack: those two "comical british soldiers"

They could do army builders of pirates and soldiers too.

Vehicles & playsets:
The BLACK PEARL!!
The Gallows (w/ variant "Pirate Will")
Cell block
town Square (W/ damage action)

So many good ideas!! C'mon NECA!! Make me proud!! :D

B'Omarr Monkey
02-02-2004, 11:48 PM
I can't wait. I remember how disappointed I was to see the movie poster in MacDonalds but no happy meal toys.

Now if only my mother hadn't thrown out all my POTC models!

Kidhuman
02-03-2004, 12:28 AM
This is sweet. Cant wait for these guys to come out.

-Durge-
02-03-2004, 01:16 AM
Good news. I hope wee see these guys at US Toy Fair.

Beast
02-12-2004, 07:10 AM
Some news from Toyfare. No pictures as far as I know. But info on the line-up and the articulation. Enjoy. :)

Shipping Fall 2004.

First wave will tentatively be Sparrow, Will Turner, Captain Barbosa and a Skeleton Pirate. Second series may include more zombies and Elizabeth Swann. Ball jointed neck, ball jointed shoulders, elbow cuts, wrist cuts, waist, v-crotch, boot cuts.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
02-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Sounds good. Hopefully they will go right into the second movie wuth these figures.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Argh!??! The term "zombie" gets tossed around yet again!!! They're just like skeletons people!!! They're not dead or undead and eating the living, they're not zombies!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! :crazed:

I'm REALLY looking forward to this line!! I have a feeling that i'm going to have to pre-order these figures as i know that Jack and Will are going to fly off the shelves like mad. I can't wait to see some pics of these figures; hopefully during toyfair or early spring!! :D

Beast
02-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Here you go, mates. A design breakdown for good ole Captain Jack Sparrow. Looks pretty bad arse to me. Hopefully we'll see more at Toy Fair. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
02-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Pretty sweet if ya ask me. Definitely a pick up.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Holy crap; he looks FANTASTIC!!!!! Comes with a bottle of Rum?!?!
That's it, i hereby deem NECA the best toy company ever. Great accessories, articulation and likeness. Best. Company. ever.
End of story. :D

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Eww, V-crotch should die a horrible death, that is SO Playmates circa 1993. ;) Damn Trek line where nobody can sit down or walk normal...

Anyway, if NECA can get all that stuff in the picture into the figure, this will be a major winner.

-Durge-
02-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Nice pic, I hope they are not 18".

bobafrett
02-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Very cool JJB! I hope they leave the Skull at the base of Jack's feet.

Beast
03-13-2004, 12:15 AM
A tiny bit more news on Series 1, as well as the 18" Jack Sparrow. And it sounds like they are going to do prop replicas also. I hope they atleast do a gold coin from the cursed incan treasure. :)

Disney's Summer 2003 hit - "Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" - will receive four 7" action figures this Fall. These are slated to consist of the swashbuckling Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, the cursed Captain Barbossa, and a Zombie Pirate, most likely the one with the pop-out eye. An 18" Jack Sparrow with Motion Activated Sound is also slated for release along with prop replicas. There are also reports that Disney is working on two new sequels.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
03-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Great, great, great news. Hopefully the pics soon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey, this movie was awesome. If I have enough money, I'll pick up one or two of these.

I have a feeling my sister will want Will Turner. ;)

Beast
06-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Prototype pictures of the 18" Captain Jack Sparrow have turned up. Note that this is an early prototype, and changes have been made. You can see that the final sculpt is much more detailed on the cover of the upcoming Action Figure News and Toy Review. The July issue will feature detailed pictures of the final version of the 18" figure. Hopefully we'll see the 7" pictures soon as well. :)

http://toychest.diamondcomics.com/toys/07_04/17_piratesofcarib.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-22-2004, 06:24 PM
holy jesus, he looks FREAKIN' AWESOME. I CANNOT wait to get these. Long live NECA! I wonder if he'll come with "drunken swagger action" :p

aceguide
06-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Very exciting news. A black pearl playset would rock!

General Grievous
06-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Yes they look good. They're much better than what I thought they'd be like. Great Job NECA! PS- thanks Jar Jar for the tip about this thread ;)

Beast
07-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Well, here we go. The full details on the 18" Capt. Jack Sparrow 18" figure. He'll actually ship in two different versions, smiling and serious. And the sound chips for both versions will be different. Looks pretty good, but I'm only really intrested in the 7" versions. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
07-02-2004, 11:24 PM
The likeness is uncanny, though I too will probably pass on the 18" versions. I don't have room for anything at that scale. I don't even have room for the stuff I have in 12" scale and under.

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 01:57 AM
But... but... he features TEN whole points of articulation! How can you pass that up?!? ;)

Seriously though, this looks good, but I never for a second considered it. And when I read that post about the smiling vs serious faces, it sounded dopey and pointless, but actually seeing the picture a second later it actually seems like the smiling face is way cooler! He's not kid-friendly smiling, he's half-crazed pirate smiling!

Beast
07-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Here's a link to a bigger version of the ad. The forums really killed the size of it:

http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/NinjaRap/NECAJack.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
07-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Preorder now at EE. 18" Capt. Jack. :beard: (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NC30135)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-07-2004, 02:00 AM
NECA has more info on the smiling vs. serious Jack sparrow. Looks like they'll each say different things, as Binksy previously posted.

http://www.necaonline.com/piratenews2.html

I do LOVE how "smiling Jack" says that great quote which includes: "bring me that horizon." If it turns out he does the, "la la la la la..and really bad eggs...drink up me hearties, yo ho!" i might have to buy it. :crazed:

RooJay
08-11-2004, 12:31 AM
God lord! What's the deal with the rest of these figures?! They keep saying that there's supposed to be a 7" line too, with characters other than good ol' Captain Jack. I don't know if I want to believe that anymore - the line was anounced way back at Toy Fair at the beginning of the year, and so far we've not even seen so much as an unpainted prototype or even an unapproved sculpt! What's the deal with that?! :frus:

Beast
08-11-2004, 12:44 AM
They had some other lines come up that they had to get out at a certain time. They are still coming, they're just not ready to be shown yet. The control work for the first 4 figures was shown in the issue of the Toy Magazine that first revealed the 18" figure. So they are still coming. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
08-11-2004, 12:57 AM
I saw the control art. As for the figures themselves - I'll believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:

Reefer Shark
08-11-2004, 01:09 PM
I'll get a 18" Jack, though I'm not sure which version yet... I'll wait to see 'em in person to decide. I think Southern Island has the set of 2 up for pre-order at $60 - pretty good price if you want both!

Gonna have to pass on the 7" line though. I'm finding nowadays that it's actually cheaper, and takes up less room to collect the 18" figures as opposed to the 7". Plus, I think they usually look much better.

Now... will someone please get the license, and do a 18" Alien & Predator??? (NECA, please)

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 08:36 PM
McFarlane has the license to do Alien & Predator toys still (though I believe not "Alien vs Predator" ones, crazy licensing) and they have on occasion done mass-market 2-ups of their regular 6" figures, so I could easily see them doing 18" Alien and Predator figures based off their 6" sculpts of those 2.

I don't get NECA and their love for this 18" scale, I just saw the 18" Aragorn & Legolas sets at my local comic shop, they look fantastic but are so MASSIVE that there's nowhere I could put these things in my house.

Beast
08-11-2004, 08:41 PM
JT, McFarlane does have the license for the 'Alien Vs. Predator' figures. In fact, they're just coming out now. As for 18" Alien vs. Predator figures from Toddy, it will never happen. McFarlane has decided to drop doing 18" figures, and instead do 12" figures. Which makes little sense when they've been doing 18" inch figures for years, and only changed when NECA started putting out 18"'rs. Oh, and the Aragorn and Legolas are actually 20"'rs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 09:48 PM
The Legolas & Aragorn are marketed as 18" though.

Last I heard, McF couldn't get the AvP license and decided to do "A&P" figures instead to get around it.

I'm not surprised McF got out of the 18" line really, they didn't sell all that well and took up mountains of shelfspace at stores.

Reefer Shark
08-11-2004, 09:54 PM
I don't get NECA and their love for this 18" scale, I just saw the 18" Aragorn & Legolas sets at my local comic shop, they look fantastic but are so MASSIVE that there's nowhere I could put these things in my house.
Well, to me the whole point of the 18"ers is to give us a statue sized toy at a fraction of the price. I have a ton of 'em (all the McF, Art Asylum, and NECA), and they all look fantastic up on top of my china hutch and shelves.

My thing is, if I'm not buying all the smaller figures - then I actually have more shelf space (and cash) for the few 18"ers that are released.

NECA's 18" line are by far the best IMO. I recently scored the Crow - he really looks awesome! And I'm much happier with my two 18" Hellraiser figs than I would be with the whole set of smaller figures.

Just a matter of taste I suppose. :smoker:

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I do understand there's a niche market for it, but it seems like NECA really is head-over-heels for this size above all other scales despite the lower number of sales and higher company costs (manufacturing, painting, packaging, and shipping). Seems like a really hard niche to keep a company afloat upon.

Reefer Shark
08-11-2004, 10:11 PM
I hear ya man. What your saying makes sense.

I will buy 'em as long as they make 'em though. They really are a great deal for the money.

Beast
08-11-2004, 10:41 PM
The Legolas & Aragorn are marketed as 18" though.
Not according to Neca. The packaging and Neca's website both say that the figures are 20" scale. It's not a huge deal, since it's only 2". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
08-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Last I heard, McF couldn't get the AvP license and decided to do "A&P" figures instead to get around it.

http://www.spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=205

In stores now! ;)

Beast
09-22-2004, 08:33 PM
First real pictures of the figures, now scheduled to come out in January. :)

http://toychest.diamondcomics.com/toys/10_04/09_pirates_caribbean.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
09-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! I hope they're already workin' on series 2 as long as it's been taking to get these ones on the shelves! I'm gonna be needing an Elizabeth Swan figure and a few more ghost pirates among others.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-22-2004, 11:50 PM
First no Liz Sherman in the Helbboy lines, and now no Elizabeth Swan in the POTC line. I'm sick of this non-female chracter trend in action figure making. The theory that no one will buy the female figures may apply to lines that actual children buy, but does anyone actually think that these toys will be bought by anyone under the age of 16?

Maybe they just don't like characters named Liz.

They look good though. I hope they make more as well.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-23-2004, 12:24 AM
First no Liz Sherman in the Helbboy lines, and now no Elizabeth Swan in the POTC line. I'm sick of this non-female chracter trend in action figure making. The theory that no one will buy the female figures may apply to lines that actual children buy, but does anyone actually think that these toys will be bought by anyone under the age of 16?

Um, (eyes the 305 million dollar box office intake). I think it's safe to say that about 90% of America has a copy of this flick in their homes, so yes, i'd be my buttocks that people under 16 will buy them. Johnny Depp became a household name with this flick (after years of making smaller films, mind you) and Orlando Bloom figures will sell.

Monkey dude- chill. NECA said a long time ago that wave 2 would include Elizabeth Swan. In my opinion, an elizabeth swan figure would sell far better than a Liz Sherman figure simply because PoTC has great appeal as an action figure line and it will probably have a wider release than HB figures. We'll get a liz figure someday for the HB line. :D

Anyway, i can't wait for these figures. I wonder if they'll do the two different heads for Sparrow like they did with the 18'' line? still, i'm gonna have to get these! cheers! :D

B'Omarr Monkey
09-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Um, (eyes the 305 million dollar box office intake). I think it's safe to say that about 90% of America has a copy of this flick in their homes, so yes, i'd be my buttocks that people under 16 will buy them. Johnny Depp became a household name with this flick (after years of making smaller films, mind you) and Orlando Bloom figures will sell.

My point isn't so much whether the movie appealed to kids. My own kids love it. My son's really into pirates, so he may want some toys (he wants Hellboy toys as well. He's just about to turn 4), but I just think that these kinds of action figures as a whole are not really marketed to kids who are going sit on the floor making them fight and stuff, versus being aimed at collectors who are going to either keep them packaged, or standing displayed on a shelf somewhere. The same goes for the Kill Bill, McFarlane, Sideshow 8" line, Ghostbusters,The Matrix, etc. The plastics are great at capturing detail, but break if you breathe on them. These toy lines aren't really showing up at TRU, and for a good reason. They aren't marketed to kids. That's why they are found in places like record stores, Suncoast, and Spencer Gifts. I would even guess that not many Muppet figures are being bought by kids to play with, nor are the detailed Marvel line (I'm blanking on what it's called -- the one with Nick Fury, Silver Surfer w/Howard the Duck, etc.) even though kids love super-heroes.

My point is simply that for these toy companies to not include female figures in these types of toy lines, because kids don't buy female figures, is silly. Kids aren't really buying these lines, nor are they meant to. Imagine a Kill Bill line without The Bride.

Beast
09-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Actually, only McFarlane uses the cheap brittle plastics. I have all my Hellraiser figures open from NECA, and they are really solid figures. NECA has even going on record of using better plastics to ensure that the figures don't break in the package or if you breathe on them like McFarlane. Toddy uses the cheaper plastic because it supposedly holds details better, but the level of detail in NECA's stuff is superior in my opinion. And JMG is correct, they're doing Elizabeth Swan in Series II. And have already done a bunch of female Cenobites in the Hellraiser line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
09-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Jar, who is in series 2? The figures look very awesome indeed. But my only complaint would have to be Will's costume. I mean he only wore that and the very end of the movie. Ohh well hopefully there will be a will figure in series 2.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Jar-Jar, I didn't mean to generalize on the plastic. You are right (One of these days I'll get the Hellraiser figures :cry: ) One of my Abe Sapiens has taken a number of swan dives off of a shelf about 2 1/2 feet above my computer, hitting the key board, and occassionally bouncing onto the floor. He's still intact, with no broken fingers or anything.

I still say that these "toys" aren't really meant for the heavy play that a kid would put them through, and are really for adult collectors to display instead.

Beast
09-24-2004, 12:29 AM
It's ok, I'm just really familar with Toddy's crappy quality control on his figures. Nearly every figure I've ever bought from McFarlane Toys has broken, mostly right out of the package. I remember opening my Movie Maniac Darkness figure, and the leg snapped off removing it from the plastic. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
09-24-2004, 02:05 AM
Jar, who is in series 2? The figures look very awesome indeed. But my only complaint would have to be Will's costume. I mean he only wore that and the very end of the movie. Ohh well hopefully there will be a will figure in series 2.

You know, I was thinking the same thing, but looking at it - I'm not so sure that's true. Look closely at the costume he wears - I could be mistaken, but aside from the hat and cape, it seems to be the exact same costume he wears throughout the movie. I'm certain the hat and cape will be removeable on this figure.

aceguide
09-24-2004, 09:04 AM
So far so good. I am definitely looking forward to these toys. I am a little put off by the iitital price tag though...

Ji'dai
09-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Arr, 'tis the finest lookin' figures I be seein' in some tyme, and ye may lay to that me lads.

Price point is a little high, so thankfully only four figures in the first series. Hope they'll be available at brick and mortar retailers.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-24-2004, 11:42 PM
It's ok, I'm just really familar with Toddy's crappy quality control on his figures. Nearly every figure I've ever bought from McFarlane Toys has broken, mostly right out of the package. I remember opening my Movie Maniac Darkness figure, and the leg snapped off removing it from the plastic. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I've had the same problems from them on too many occassions. You have to be a member of the bomb squad to get them safely out of their packaging. My deluxe headless horseman came with a leg that was broken off the horse--in the box, clearly in view (great quality control). It was the last one when I bought it, and no more appeared for me to exchange it with either. :cry: :cry:

I think this has made me suspicious of toys that have that strong McFralane plastic smell when you crack the blisters open. (the blister bubbles of the packaging--not blisters on the figures themselves. Being that we're talking about MacFarlane toys, I thought I should clarify :D ).

Jayspawn
09-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Looks like the Pirates figures are shipping in January -seems a little far away though. Earlier would be better. Cant wait to get me a Captain Jack! Aarrr!

Ji'dai
11-06-2004, 06:34 PM
I just found out Master Replicas is offering two POTC props as part of their Disney liscense, due in either December or January depending on which e-tailer you visit. It be cursed Aztec Gold! The coin runs about $10-13 and the necklace is $15. I'm definitely gonna get me a set and maybe buy a few for gifts.

gsr-jedi
11-06-2004, 11:07 PM
These look awesome. Since this is a Disney movie, does anyone know if they'll be available at the Disney Stores?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Just in case i missed it, hsa there been any info as to if they're doing two different heads just as they're doing the 18'' figures? i'd prefer a drunk happy Jack over the serious jack :D

Jayspawn
11-09-2004, 09:59 AM
I think the 18" Captain Jack is gonna have 1 head sculpt.

Cant wait for January when these figures are supposed to hit. Personally, I'm getting the Serious Jack!

"But you have heard of me."

Jayspawn
11-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I found 18" Captain Jack at Media Play tonight! He runs $35.99 and has 2 head sculpts!!!! Very Impressive!

If you get him at Media Play by November 20th, you can get 25% off!!!

Ji'dai
11-20-2004, 09:19 PM
I found 18" Captain Jack at Media Play tonight! He runs $35.99 and has 2 head sculpts!!!! Very Impressive!

If you get him at Media Play by November 20th, you can get 25% off!!!
One figure with two interchangeable heads included? Does he have a voice chip in him?

Ji'dai
11-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Okay, I saw the 18" Jack Sparrow at Suncoast today. Two versions with different head sculpts and alternate dialogue. I passed on them since I'm not really into such large figures. I doubt I'll be able to get one on sale or clearance as I'm sure these will sell out before then.

Beast
12-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Neca's official site updated with a carded close-up picture of Barbossa. Looking very cool so far. Hopefully the line continues so they can do Zombie Jack and Zombie Barbossa. :)

http://necaonline.com/barbosaclam.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
12-29-2004, 03:11 AM
Pic as-is so dark and not wearing the hat, I thought it looked like crap. However, when I lightened the photo, it looked 10 times better, a very decent figure indeed. Shows what the wrong kind of official photography can do for a figure (hint hint Hasbro, re: your Transformers line especially). The feathers on the figure's hat might be too much though, it's hard enough buying action figures from cashiers who think you're a weirdo for playing with toys, much less toys with feathers and monkeys involved. :p

mm74md
12-29-2004, 07:35 AM
When do the smaller figures come out?

aceguide
12-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the update. Adding on to the previous question - when is the next movie due out?

Ji'dai
12-29-2004, 09:20 AM
The new issue of Lee's (or Toy Fair - can't remember which) has a pic of Moonlight (zombie) Barbarossa; the figure is reportedly part of Series 2. I'm sure a Moonlight Sparrow is in the works for the second series too. Series 1 figures are due in January; filming on the sequel is scheduled to begin in February (=>IMDb.com).

Jayspawn
12-30-2004, 09:08 AM
I cant wait till these show up in January. I'm getting Captain Jack and Barbossa for sure!

An Elizabeth Swan figure would be sweet!

"Now thats a neat trick." -Captain Jack

Beast
12-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Neca's official site updated with a carded close-up picture of the Cursed Pirate and Will Turner figures. Hopefully ole Jack will pop up in a day or two to complete the previews.

http://www.necaonline.com/cursedclam.jpg
http://www.necaonline.com/willclam.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-01-2005, 07:59 PM
They look very good. Will's head photo on the bubble sticker doesn't look as good as the figure itself, but I'm not as sure about the second head's likeness though that could be about the angle of the photo. Seems like Neca is definitely pushing their way up towards being as big as McFarlane.

Jayspawn
01-03-2005, 10:50 AM
As big as McFarlane? HA! I have to put NECA way ahead of McFarlane now. While McFarlane USED to be the tops of all action figures (sculpts, paint application, licences) NECA has far passed McFarlane and is growing into what McFarlane should have been. NECA has the better licences, quality controll, price, likeness and paint jobs equal or better to what McFarlane is now. McFarlane has some good licences now and will be around for quite a long time still. But the base is starting to crack and the business is moving elsewhere.

I have to put NECA or ToyBiz on the tops of the action figure business. Keep up the good work NECA!

Beast
01-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Agreed. McFarlane hasn't done much to applaud them for as of late. Their last Movie Maniacs line was a huge letdown. And if it wasn't for the announcement of 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' I'd basically write them off for 2005 already. NECA and SOTA are both kicking ole Toddy's arse when it comes to giving people what they want. As well as listening to what they want, unlike ole Toddy.

Oh, and the carded Jack Sparrow turned up today on NECA's official site. :)

http://www.necaonline.com/sparrowclam.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-03-2005, 07:42 PM
I meant as a business, not just in the hearts of collectors. McF may be pretty crummy lately, but they're still a bigger company with more clout and years of experience (albeit sloppy experience that has infuriated many) in the industry which NECA still is working up to.

Whether or not I get the other figures in this series, I'm sold on Jack there. Heck, with SW not really doing much for the next 5 months and Transformers for the next 6, I think I can find time to get all 4 of these figures if NECA can get them onto local shelves soon enough.

Ji'dai
01-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Although not really on topic, I received this bit o' swag today. It be cursed Aztec Gold, matey!

Master Replicas "Cursed Aztec Gold Coin & Necklace" as seen in the film Pirates of the Caribbean. This is my first MR purchase; and the reason is the replicas were very reasonably priced. The coin was $9.50 and the necklace was $14.25. They come packaged in a small clamshell that displays both sides of the coin. I ordered them from FiresideCollectibles.com.

JediTricks
01-25-2005, 11:48 PM
How do they feel out of the package? I'm probably going to buy the coin at a local shop, I'm a sucker for pirate coins in general.

Jayspawn
01-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Shouldnt NECA's action figures be hitting soon?

Ji'dai
01-27-2005, 09:54 AM
The coin was smaller than I expected. It does have some heft to it though. It's approximately 1-1/2" in diameter and probably 3/8" thick. Looks like the real coin from the movie except for the "C Disney" copyright mark printed in black on the back. It does already have a ring in the top so you can attach a chain to it to make your own necklace. This one is gold plated so hopefully the finish won't wear off with repeated handling. I'll probably work the coin into a display with the DVD and figures.

Beast
01-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Shouldnt NECA's action figures be hitting soon?
According to folks from NECA over at another board I post at, the POTC figures are shipping to retailers right now. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Dang, that's not very big at all, sounds smaller than a half-dollar. I think I'll need to see it in person to decide.

Driving by tonight, I noticed that POTC is playing at the El Capitan theater by my house (it's across the street from the Chinese theater) but only until this Sunday and the place is usually a madhouse with little kids on the weekend. Still, I never saw it in theaters, so I may go see it anyway.

Jayspawn
02-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Rumor has it that the Pirates figures should be hitting retailers this weekend. That would be nice, I'm getting a little impatient waiting for my Captain Jack!

So we are all then a man of our word. Except for Elizabeth who is of course, a woman."

Beast
02-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Here's some info on Asst. 2:

POTC- Series 2 is.... Elizabeth Swann, Pintel, Ragetti, & Cursed Sparrow & Barbosa(Randy said this might be a BOX SET!)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
02-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I found the Pirates figures at Hot Topic last night! They were $12.50 each and all of them there. The coolest one is Jack, Will Turner looks like a pretty big figure. Barbosa didnt turn out as well as I thought. But I'm getting Capatin Jack for sure!

Ji'dai
02-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Damn you.. I checked Hot Topics, Spencers, and Suncoast today but no luck. Hopefully they'll get them in this weekend.

Take what you can!
Give nothing back!

General_Grievous
02-16-2005, 05:07 PM
I am really thinking about collecting these, but for the moment I just want Jack. I'll be checking the malls near me this weekend for him.

Ji'dai
02-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Wizard Entertainment has an interesting interview on their site with Randy Falk, the director of product development for NECA. Good news on the Pirates of the Caribbean front; bad news for Ghostbusters fans.

What lies in the future for the Pirates of the Caribbean line?

We’re in development now on Series II. So far we’ve planned Elizabeth Swann, Pintel, Ragetti, and “cursed” versions of Sparrow and Barbossa possibly as a boxed set with a diorama.

Wizard Entertainment Article (http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazines/toyfare/TF20050216-falk.cfm)

Jayspawn
02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
I'm a little bummed about Ghostbusters. However I'm excited about Series 2 of Kill Bill.

Jayspawn
02-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I picked up Captain Jack last night at Media Play. He was $11.99. He was the only one I got -because simply he looks the coolest. Awesome action figure plain and simple. NECA has a winner with this one. He holds all of this accessories well. His pistol fits into a tuck in his pants, the sword fits the sheath perfectly. His hat and Rum bottle are great! This is a must have! Well worth the buy!

Ji'dai
02-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Suncoast got a case of the POTC in today. They are three of each figure in the case assortment except for the "smiling" Jack Sparrow version.

I picked up a complete set and grabbed the other two zombie Pirates out of the case too. I figured I could add my two Pirate Spawns and have a nice little living dead pirate crew.

I didn't know that Will Turner comes with two heads. I'm not too impressed with head sculpts on either one. Maybe it will look better with his hat on.

Ji'dai
07-30-2005, 11:08 AM
The Kellogg's Star Wars food promos are ending but I noticed that their cereal boxes have a new mail-away promotion for a Pirates of the Caribbean "skull computer mouse." It's $4.99 and two UPCs. I don't use this type of mouse or else I'd order one. Savvy?

http://uploads.bardiir.de/2005073017504682292.jpg

Ji'dai
08-05-2005, 01:34 PM
I stopped by Hot Topic today and was surprised to find a Pirates of the Caribbean 2-Pack exclusive. It had both Series 1 "serious" Jack Sparrow and Will Turner. The set retails for $24.00.

This is link for the set in the Hot Topic webstore:

http://www.hottopic.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&ITEM=652396

RooJay
08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Still not even a hint of prototypes of series 2. I'm beginning to wonder if they're planning on holding off any more releases until we get closer to POTC 2. That would be a shame as there are still plenty of characters from the first movie that I'd love to have figures of.

darthvyn
08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Still not even a hint of prototypes of series 2. I'm beginning to wonder if they're planning on holding off any more releases until we get closer to POTC 2. That would be a shame as there are still plenty of characters from the first movie that I'd love to have figures of.

*COUGH* elizabeth swan *COUGH*

i'm gonna have to find the jack sparrow somehow. i don't now if i want to get that two-pack, not really interested in that version of will turner. i would've liked a version of him that was more of the movie than the last 5 minutes...

Ji'dai
08-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I stopped by Suncoast today to find POTC Series I figures on sale for $8.99 with 50% off that. I was able to find a lone Cursed Pirate for $4.50 in a sea of Barbossas. The Sparrows and Turners were already gone.

JimJamBonds
08-18-2005, 02:05 PM
*COUGH* elizabeth swan *COUGH*

Which version of Ms Swan? It'd probably be something lame such as the her in the Royal Marine outfit she wears when they go to save Will.

Ji'dai
10-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Which version of Ms Swan? It'd probably be something lame such as the her in the Royal Marine outfit she wears when they go to save Will.

This Netherlands webstore has large prototype pictures of Series 2:

http://www.audricstoys.nl/index.php/cPath/21_225

Elizabeth Swann is wearing the red dress given to her Barbossa. The likeness is fantastic, but these are just promo pics, so the figure we see on the pegs may likely suck (Will Turner anyone?). Hopefully the mass produced Ms. Swann will turn out just as good as her prototype.

Pintel and Ragetti look pretty decent, though Ragetti's facial likeness is seems a little off. I think it's the toothy leer that detracts from the likeness for me.

The new Cursed Pirate has a new head sculpt and minor clothing changes from the Series 1 version. Looks pretty good. I bought five of the original cursed pirates so I'll probably pick up several of the new ones to add to my pirate crew.

Looks like NECA is going to include bases with figures this time around. I wonder if the bases will connect with the planned 'cursed' Barbossa vs. Sparrow box set with treasure grotto base. I also heard a nasty rumor that Series 1 figures will be re-released with bases. I don't want to buy them all again just to get the damn bases.

Jayspawn
10-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Yowza! That Elizabeth Swan figure looks great! I doont think the final figure could look that bad, so I'll plan on getting one. I'll skip the others.

JimJamBonds
10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
That's exactly what I'm talking about Ji'dai! :thumbsup: I might have to get that one of Ms Swan.

All of the are pretty sweet! My one complaint would be the Will Turner fig. of him at the end of the film, I always hated that costume. Not that it wasn't well done, rather it doesn't fit in at the time period that the film takes place.

LTBasker
10-07-2005, 03:02 AM
Series 2 looks pretty good, makes ya wonder if anybody will buy a bunch of Ms. Swan to make 6" versions of Padme and handmaidens in their purple outfits from Episode 1. :D

Ji'dai
11-10-2005, 07:57 PM
I thought we might see the new figures this Fall, but Series II won't be released until February, followed by Series III and the box set in May. NECA also has the license for the sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, so expect more figures from that film. From NECA's site:
There has been some confusion as to what figures will make up Pirates of the Caribbean Series II and III and what exactly is happening with Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest, the eagerly anticipated sequel due out Summer 2006. Here is an official summary that will help clear up some of the internet rumors: Series II 7" Figures with Diorama Bases- February 2006
Jack Sparrow (serious expression, without jacket)
Will Turner II (new action pose)
Pintel
Ragetti

Series III 7" Figures with Diorama Bases- May 2006
Jack Sparrow (smiling expression, without jacket)
Elizabeth Swann
Cursed Skeleton II
Captain Barbossa (new head sculpt)

Cursed Sparrow vs. Cursed Barbossa Boxed Set - May 2006
Unique Cursed versions of Sparrow and Barbossa in the 7" scale with diorama bases and treasure chest full of gold!

All of the above connect together to form a large diorama of the Grotto scene from Curse of the Black Pearl.
We are hard at work on the development of 8-10 brand new figures from Dead Man's Chest along with new 18" figures and possibly a boxed set.

Ji'dai
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Kelloggs has Pirates of the Caribbean cereal and fruit snacks in stores now. The cereal looks like Coco-Puffs (Black Pearls?) with marshmallow cutlasses. The fruit snacks feature an uncanny resemblance to treasure chests & maps, skull & crossbones, ship's wheels, and cursed Aztec gold.

JediTricks
02-02-2006, 08:08 PM
My mom loves the fruit snacks, the shapes are cooler and darker than most fruit snacks and it's a property she likes (plus, how can you go wrong with pirate stuff?)

Ji'dai
02-24-2006, 10:58 AM
I spotted Series 2 at Spencers Gifts today, $12.99 each. This wave includes Pintel, Ragetti, and resculpts of Jack Sparrow and Will Turner. The figures include bases that will connect with Series 3 and the Sparrow/Barbossa box set to form a portion of the "treasure grotto." Pintel and Ragetti seem to be short-packed; there were quite a few Sparrows and a couple of Will Turner.

Ji'dai
03-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Master Replicas has a quite a few new prop replicas coming out for their Pirates of the Caribbean license. Now you can get the official Jack Sparrow compass ($199 - but does it point North?), cutlass ($249), and flintlock pistol ($249).

More affordable swag includes the Dead Man's Chest Davy Jones Key ($15), Elizabeth Swann's cursed Aztec coin necklace ($15), and Jack Sparrow's ring ($15). This plunder is packed in clamshells similar to the NECA figure line. Check out the MR (http://masterreplicas.com/customer/potc/potc_product.php) site for pics.

And speaking of NECA, pics (http://www.alteregocomics.com/store/catalog/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Dead_Mans_Chest_Series_1_ _Case_of_14_-p-2958.html) of Dead Man's Chest Series 1 figures have been out for awhile. Spoilers beware, all ye who enter there!

figrin bran
05-22-2006, 12:01 AM
in case anyone hasn't heard about them/seen them yet, Zizzle has a line of 3 3/4" POC 2 figures out right now at your local Target, WM, TRU. there's also some deluxe figures and playsets though i haven't looked too closely at those and so i couldn't tell you what's out.

Kidhuman
05-22-2006, 01:54 AM
I have the 2 3.75 Jack Sparrows, they also have Will, Elizabeth, Davey Jones, another piarte and Bootstrap in that line. WM has em under 5 bucks while Target is 7 bucks.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-22-2006, 09:54 AM
all these figures look great, but I just can't afford buying up every last one of them. I mean, they had 3 lines for Potc, and now they'll have a few from Dead Man's Chest and you know they'll be 2-3 for the next flick and playsets and blah blah.

I got my Capt. Jack (smiling) version from PotC on my DVD shelf. I'm content. Still, these look great though! :thumbsup:

plasticfetish
05-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I've picked up a couple of these Zizzle pirate figures (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=52407330&blogID=115437979&Mytoken=E54EFB48-8930-1183-1D038B771ADD89B317384529). Lord knows I don't need to be spending money on yet another line either, but they're pretty fun. So far I've got Davy Jones, Palifico, and Capt. Jack Sparrow. (Target has 'em for $6 BTW Kidhuman, not $7.)

:Pirate:

Kidhuman
05-22-2006, 02:00 PM
I guess it depends on where you live because they are 6.88 here.

Ji'dai
05-22-2006, 04:58 PM
I saw the Zizzle toys today at TRU. Looks like they have every scale covered from micro "ActionFleet" size figures and ships, 3-3/4" figures & playsets, 7" figures, and even 12". Plenty of role-play toys too from swords to flintlock pistols to Sparrow's pirate gear. The figures are a little too expensive for sub-standard quality IMO.

MegaBloks has the license to DMC too and I found the initial offerings in the construction aisle. MB has borrowed much from their Pyrates theme for the DMC toys.

NECA's figures from POTC Series 2 and 3 have hit specialty stores along with their "Cursed Barboassa vs. Cursed Sparrow" box set. These figures sport interlocking bases that form a pretty large display diorama of the treasure grotto when complete.

The box set is pretty nifty with a nice package design. The box features a display window in front framed with stalagtites and stalagmites. Small display windows on the top and sides allow light to shine down on the gold chest when you hold it up to a light source. Along with "Cursed" versions of Barbossa and Sparrow, you get a "Cursed" Jack the Monkey, and the stone chest with Aztec Gold.

M&M's with DMC promo packaging are out, featuring the new white-chocolate ("Pirate Pearls") and the old standards plain ("Jack's Gems") and peanut ("Captain's Gold"). The candies sport "treasure" colors and are stamped with pirate icons such as skulls, cutlasses, etc,... but who in the world takes the time to look before chowing down on these things? :razz:

plasticfetish
05-22-2006, 07:26 PM
I guess it depends on where you live because they are 6.88 here.Target's daffy.

The candies sport "treasure" colors and are stamped with pirate icons such as skulls, cutlasses, etcThat's really cool! I'll have to look now.

plasticfetish
05-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I guess it depends on where you live because they are 6.88 here.My bad, I looked today and they're $6.99 at Target. Could have sworn they were less before... :confused: :Pirate: :dancing banana: :confused:

JediTricks
05-24-2006, 07:51 PM
I dunno what it is, but these basic figs are ALWAYS sold out in my area.

plasticfetish
05-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Mine too, and then I wander in today and the pegs are full again. People love frigging (or is it aarrrrgg-ing) pirates.

Kidhuman
05-24-2006, 11:43 PM
I found a case in the middle of the day off to the side and popped it open and got mine that way. Target always has the figs, but I dont want to pay 2 bucks more a pop for them.

General_Grievous
06-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I kind of like the 3 inch figures but I've passed on them. I'm content with my 8 inch NECA Jack Sparrow. But those Zizzle 6 inch figures (Jack, Will, Davy Jones) look awful.

JimJamBonds
06-04-2006, 11:23 PM
I kind of like the 3 inch figures but I've passed on them. I'm content with my 8 inch NECA Jack Sparrow. But those Zizzle 6 inch figures (Jack, Will, Davy Jones) look awful.

I saw Davy Jones as well and it didn't do much for me either.

GG I love the tar and quote!!! :thumbsup:

figrin bran
06-10-2006, 05:10 PM
i saw the POTC2 Mega Bloks sets at my local TRU today. they have a jack sparrow and davy jones set, both of which come in this compass case. there's also 2 mini playsets as well as a Black Pearl set.

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 06:40 PM
I saw them as well, they looked not quite as good as MB's Pyrates line, but still pretty ok. The head on Jack is way big though. :p

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about this thread, because they put out Pirates of the Carribean Zizzle 4" figures at TRU, and they were selling like hotcakes ($5 is a good price for these), I picked up 3 of the regular pirate guys, put back Prison Escape Jack. The line overall makes me very happy, if I were a kid I'd go nuts for these, awesome pirates at a good price. I got:

POTC Will Turner - ok likeness, good outfit, arms are a little long. Nice swords and scabbard, paint is nifty, I like the elbow articulation a lot. Figure looks good holding both swords.

POTC Pintel - ok likeness but iffy paint (hair wrong color, eyes looking to the side), cool sword and removable bandolier, double-flintlock is nice but seems too fat, figure looks good holding his accessories.

POTC Capt Jack Sparrow - the weakest of the bunch, paint is not covering entire beard, other little issues like that, but still a decent figure. Lame that his scabbard doesn't work, the others do; at least it's removable. His hat is great and fits well. His flintlock is too damn tiny. His left hand doesn't hold anything.

Ji'dai
06-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Found NECA Dead Man's Chest Series 1 at Spencers today. I had to reluctantly pass on 'em since they were a little steep at $14.99 each. Hope to find them cheaper at Suncoast.

I also spotted a Puzz 3D Black Pearl at TRU today. The famous pirate ship from POTC is built from foam-backed puzzle pieces that create a full three dimensional model when complete.

I also saw two new POTC games at TRU as well. I think one is a board game and the other is a dice game with four roughly-hewn pirate cups to roll those bones.

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 02:26 AM
TRU had 3 micro-scale ships, "Pirate Fleet" they called 'em, reminded me of Action Fleet, there was Davy Jones' ship, some regular frigate thing, and the Black Pearl, they looked ok but not "must have" so I passed.

Ji'dai
06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
I saw two more board games at TRU today that have gotten the Dead Man's Chest treatment: The Game of Life and Monopoly movie versions.

And if you still can't get enough Pirate swag, be on the lookout for POTC "Lunchables." Yes, Lunchables. You know, those little to-go packages of crackers, ham, and cheese. No lie - the cheese slices have embossed treasure chests on 'em :Pirate:

Off topic: WizKids, the makers of those cool Pirate collectible game packs that have little 3D miniature ships and fortresses you can construct out of styrofoam-backed paper, have a new line called "Davy Jones' Curse." Looks like the game was released to capitalize on the new film and isn't an official movie tie-in. Other WizKid Pirate lines include "Spanish Main," "Barbary Coast," "Crimson Coast," "South China Seas," and "[American] Revolution."

SirSteve
06-19-2006, 02:30 PM
ActionFigs.com has an Exclusive first look at Dead Man's Chest Series 2! Check out the article HERE (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=34&p2_articleid=222).

Ji'dai
06-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the pics, Steve. Elizabeth Swann looks pretty darn good. Her face sculpt reminds me more of Jessica Biel than Keira Knightley though. I'm glad we're getting more Davy Jones' crew with the release of Bootstrap Bill & Palifico. I thought my only recourse for these figures would be the Zizzle 4" versions (which I'm leaning toward getting anyway).

In other news, I spotted Kelloggs Eggo cereal with a Dead Man's Chest promo. Each box contains a small pirate skull backpack dangler with strobe light - available in red, blue, and green. Hoard 'em all, matey!

Ji'dai
06-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Volvo (http://thehunt.volvocars.net/us/thehunt) has a POTC promo that recently began on June 12th. The company "buried" a Volvo XC90 with Dead Man's Chest deco somewhere and entrants must solve e-mail riddles sent over the course of a month to learn the whereabouts of the vehicle. Complicating matters is the need to visit a Volvo dealer to obtain a treasure map with unique pirate code (though also available via snail mail).

Jargo
06-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Strangely, I find the mega bloks pirates of the caribbean selection of toys more enticing than these figures. maybe it's the fact that it all works with lego or the size, but I do tend to be favouring much smaller figures lately. I find that with larger figures there's greater margin for error. or ugliness. kinda like the 12 inch scale of figures nearly always look absolutely chuffing awful. hideous things with dwarf hands and feet and massive heads on skinny bodies. even the six inch scale or thereabouts has massive potential to be totally fugly.
prototypes are all very well but actual product is what informs my choice over buying. online pictorial reviews are worth so much for that, forget what the company wants you to see the real thing is either good or bad with no grey area in between. You can't do a half good job or a half bad job. it's one or the other.
for me the POC figures are not really good. not up close.

but fair enough if other people like em. s'just personal preference.

mega bloks POC rocks though.

Kidhuman
06-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Bought Zizzles 3.75 Liz, Will, Davey Jones and Bootstrap today.

PF, WM seems to have raised there price 1 dollar to 5.88, still cheaper than Target. They left the shelf tag as 4.88 which I got them for.

mm74md
06-27-2006, 09:59 AM
This is getting out of control. Add The Disney Store to your list of POTC action figure shopping. They have their own line of figures out like those from Narnia. For the price, I'd rather have all the NECA figs.

NEW POTC Figures Now On SALE at Disnet Stores Across US!!
http://www.thegd.com/news.asp?ID=787

Ji'dai
06-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Disney is really milking this movie for all it's worth. Nice looking figures and neat packaging idea though. At $12.50 each, Disney sure beats NECA's DMC retail prices ($14.99). Still, I'll probably stick with NECA.

Kelloggs Rice Krispies and Frosted Flakes have DMC promo boxes with mail-away offers - movie posters and free popcorn certificates.

jjreason
06-30-2006, 01:02 PM
From the pics there appears to be quite a quality difference between the NECA and Disney Store ones. The Disney store look to be very "Toy Biz" (a little more poseable and useful for play), while the NECA look very focussed in both paint and sculpt (more useful for display). The NECA Elizabeth is very pretty, but she has little to no resemblence to Keira Knightly (or else I might be sold on the figure).

JediTricks
06-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Nathan over on ActionFigs.com posted pics of the wave 2 figures:

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=34&p2_articleid=306

Today I was in TRU and noticed the POTC Flintlock, it looks pretty slick, I would have loved it as a kid, but even though it's in an open box, like all the other Zizzle POTC toys it's not try-me (the only try-me toy they have is the talking parrot, and those ARE selling).

figrin bran
07-09-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure when this promotion runs until but at Kay Bee Toys, the POTC toys are "buy 2, get 1 free". of equal or lesser value of course.

the basic figures are only $4.99 like they are at TRU and so you can get 3 for $10 which is a pretty good deal.

jonthejedi
07-09-2006, 04:41 AM
Picked up Series 1 Neca Dead Man's Chest figs. from my Spencer's Gifts. Wanted the 18" "talking" Jack Sparrow...but no funds.

Ji'dai
07-10-2006, 01:48 PM
That 18" Sparrow looks too much like the original version so I passed. I think this one has different accessories, one of which looked like a skeleton monkey paw hanging off his belt. Plus it has a different voice chip with lines from DMC.

I spotted another DMC board game at TRU, this one Battleship Command, based on the classic naval warfare game. This version has a vertical gameboard and little white cards with ships printed on them that you slide under the plastic pegboard.

General_Grievous
07-11-2006, 11:24 PM
I picked up NECA's Davy Jones to go with my Jack Sparrow. Great figure, but the package states that he comes with the Dead Man's Chest and his heart. I found no such accessories. Not that I really wanted them anyway, but it's unusual for NECA.

figrin bran
07-12-2006, 02:12 AM
i'm not sure if this has been discussed already but i opened up the zizzle palifico and wow, does it ever pack a wallop! the mouse droids ain't got nothin on these figures! ;)

Ji'dai
07-20-2006, 10:46 AM
I was reading in the latest issue of Toy Fare that NECA plans on releasing Cannibal Jack in Dead Man's Chest Series 3. This figure is currently an exclusive to SDCC and Wizard World. The difference is the con exclusive has eyes painted over Jack's closed eyelids while the Series 3 version will have Jack with open eyes.

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I was reading in the latest issue of Toy Fare that NECA plans on releasing Cannibal Jack in Dead Man's Chest Series 3. This figure is currently an exclusive to SDCC and Wizard World. The difference is the con exclusive has eyes painted over Jack's closed eyelids while the Series 3 version will have Jack with open eyes.
The other figures listed for NECA Series 3 besides Cannibal Jack are Norrington, a member of Davy Jones' crew, and an as-of-yet unnamed fourth figure (maybe Gibbs?).

Ji'dai
08-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I saw one Zizzle Black Pearl playset at the local TRU for $59.99 today. I was tempted to get it but the box had a few gouge holes from either careless unpacking or shelving.

jonthejedi
08-04-2006, 01:40 AM
I spotted it yesterday too, at my local TRU. That's a big friggin' playset(Hasbro take note: this WILL sell). I wasn't expecting it till Fall from what Zizzle said???

Ji'dai
08-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't know about the release timeframe, maybe Zizzle was being conservative about when the toys would be available since they're a relatively new company. I wonder about Series 2 of the 3-3/4" line. Will stores continue to carry the line after the film is out of theatres? With the glut of Supercrap on shelves, I wonder if stores will re-order more DMC product. I was hoping to see the second wave of figures at retail by now.

I stopped by TRU this morning and found an unopened box of Black Pearl playsets that I promptly ripped open. They come two per box, not surprising with the size of the toy. I picked out the best looking box and took it home with me :Pirate:

JediTricks
08-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Perhaps when they said it'd be to retailers by the holiday season, they meant the holiday season reset, which occurs in August.

figrin bran
08-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Ji'dai, no need to wonder about wave 2 of the zizzle figures. i found (but did not buy) Norrington and Maccus today at a Target. i went during the afternoon so i assume the cannibal and the new sparrow were snatched up earlier.

Ji'dai
08-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a weather eye out for 'em. The WM's around here have only recently begun to carry the Zizzle toys.

I've been checking for NECA DMC Series 2 but I'm not really sure when they are supposed to be released.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I Have Most Of Wave 1. Every Basic Figure Except Captain Jack Sparrow And Prison Escape Jeack Sparrow. I Dont Have The Isla Cruces Playset, Toughi Think I Might Get It Later Today. And I Need Deluxe Will Turner, And Maybe Deluxe Davey Jones.

Kidhuman
08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
There is already a thread for this, can mod of power please merge.

I have all the first wave and Deluxe Pintel. Also the Black Pearl.

DarthQuack
08-21-2006, 05:16 PM
None, I'm waiting for a whole island to be released. :razz:

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-23-2006, 07:30 PM
i got the black pearl! all i need now is norrington and maccus to finish my collection! pity that canibal cheif jack sparrow dosn't have bending knees. he shoul have come with a throne. i love prison escape the best so i put my captain jack sparrow hat on prison escape jack sparrow.

Ji'dai
08-24-2006, 04:00 PM
I have all of NECA's figures to date, except for the con-exclusive Cannibal Jack.

Of Zizzle's 3.75" stuff, I've got the four Deluxe figures, a pirate-disguised Elizabeth Swann, and the Black Pearl playset.

Jango Speck
09-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I have all of NECA's figures to date, except for the con-exclusive Cannibal Jack.

I just picked up Davy Jones. How do you arrange his base? There's the carpet piece and then the railing piece with the awkward angle. With only one peghole and only one foot, I can't figure out (and can't find any pictures) which way they intended for him to be on the bases.

plasticfetish
09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
At your service...

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=1742

;)

Jango Speck
09-01-2006, 08:52 PM
At your service...

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=1742

;)

Thanks PF!

plasticfetish
09-01-2006, 09:30 PM
No problem. :)

One thing that those photos don't show, (that you probably know, but...) is that his right "finger" is bendy, so you can twist it around his cane.

Jango Speck
09-01-2006, 09:54 PM
No problem. :)

One thing that those photos don't show, (that you probably know, but...) is that his right "finger" is bendy, so you can twist it around his cane.

I had no problem inserting the cane without bending the finger/tentacle.

Ji'dai
09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
I haven't opened my Dead Man's Chest figures yet, they're still stacked on a closet floor, along with some other unopened stuff. I know Davy Jones' base connects to the one included with Maccus (http://www.oafe.net/monkey/art/potc2_dj6.jpg) though.

If prop replicas are your thing, I found Master Replicas Davy Jones Key ($15) at a Game Stop.

As you probably noticed, Kelloggs has a POTC promotion going. Along with the cereal toys, EGGOS has a mail-away for a Jack Sparrow pirate scarf and Crispix has a mail-away for a pirate skull snack bowl, reminiscent of their R2-D2 bowl offer.

Tycho
09-06-2006, 01:48 PM
My interest is really in the feasibility of a Hasbro Jabba The Hutt sailbarge for our figures, but...

What is the current state of the Black Pearl, full-sized pirate ship?

- on shelves and selling

- sold out and off shelves

- on shelves and sitting, collecting dust

- never ordered in any good quantity

Do you think the Black Pearl will stick around or come back for a Christmas toy item?

When you answer the above two questions, perhaps clarify your answers by location for:

Wal-Mart
Target
Toys R Us
Other

Ji'dai
09-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Both Super Wal-Marts and the local TRU received multiple cartons (shipments?) of Zizzle's Black Pearl playset. Each carton contains two playsets, and I find that typically only two playsets are stocked on shelves at any one time. Initially, the playsets sold quickly but were replenished within a week or two. Right now the more expensive items (deluxe, 3.75" playsets, & especially 7") tend to be shelf-warming, but I attribute that to initial excitement dying down among collectors and deep-pocketed parents.

Whether this line "get its sealegs" and continues performing well at retail through the holiday season is anyone's guess. I'm confident that the remaining toys will find a safe berth under many christmas trees this year though.

I live in a small city and the local WM didn't even stock the Zizzle toys until completing their holiday reset in August. Still, I think that's a vote of confidence in the line if such a major retailer suddenly picks up the toys after the movie premiere had come and gone.

Aragornsfate
09-07-2006, 06:25 PM
General Grievous posted earlier in this thread that the Neca Davy Jones figure does not come with the listed chest and heart accessories. Mine did not either. Someone please tell me whats going on.

figrin bran
09-07-2006, 10:08 PM
to answer tycho's question,

i've only seen the black pearl playset at walmart and it appears to have sold a few but is not sold out yet.

Jango Speck
09-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Burbank TRU has had the Black Pearl playset on and off for several weeks now.

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Burbank TRU has had the Black Pearl playset on and off for several weeks now.
Likewise for Los Feliz TRU, the only one in stock yesterday had a bashed box, the others were sold. I suspect they'll sell through, but Hasbro would expect them to sell through FASTER which is a frustrating situation because it's more than the market can usually bear (I understand Hasbro is partly doing this because retailers want it, but damn).

Kidhuman
09-07-2006, 10:32 PM
I still havent found wave 2 of these figures&&

Jango Speck
09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I haven't seen any wave 2 figures of any of the different lines of POTC toys. Can't even find announcements or images online. Maybe they're waiting for the DVD to come out.

figrin bran
09-08-2006, 12:17 AM
i've seen wave 2 remnants twice. i even stashed a norrington and cannibal sparrow for the l.a. folks but no one seemed interested.

Kidhuman
09-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Who is in wave duece of theis line?&

JediTricks
09-08-2006, 03:03 PM
I haven't seen any Wave 2s either, only a few wave 1 stragglers like Elizabeth Swan whom I should have bought Wednesday but forgot to.

Ji'dai
09-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Still no sign of wave 2 in these waters. I did find Mega Bloks' Flying Dutchman at TRU today. This 235-piece set costs $60 and includes Davy Jones, Palifico, Bootstrap Bill, and Jack Sparrow.

Kidhuman
09-12-2006, 02:41 PM
I found Norrington and Canibal Jack a few days ago at Target&. Who else besides Masscus is in this wave?&

Ji'dai
09-12-2006, 02:52 PM
According to ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=34&p2_articleid=306), wave 2 has Cannibal Jack, a Cannibal, Norrington, and Maccus. People must be army building with the Cannibal if he's scarce.

Kidhuman
09-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I havent seen him yet, but hoep to find him soon&

JediTricks
09-12-2006, 05:00 PM
I saw all 4 at Target on Friday, they only had 1 of the Cannibal and Maccus but 2 of Norrington and Jack.

COMMANDERCODY2795
09-16-2006, 12:42 AM
all my targets are all cleared out of figures so i have to go (sigh) toys r us. not that i dont like it its that its has no selection. i just nee noring maacus and the isla cruces playset.

Ji'dai
10-03-2006, 01:53 PM
The local Sam's Club (wholesale club) has an exclusive (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=342166) Black Pearl playset bundled with Davy Jones' treasure chest and three figures. This version runs approximately $70.

The treasure chest plays "A Pyrates Life for Me" when you push a button and stores figures and accessories. The figures are in a display window and include Sparrow, Will Turner, and Davy Jones. They look the same as their individually-carded counterparts. The box itself looks about the same size as the non-exclusive version, but the artwork adverstises the included treasure chest and there's the display box for the figures at the top front.

And in case you've been out to sea lately and didn't know: brick-and-mortar TRUs are running a sale this week on POTC stuff: buy 2, get the third free.

COMMANDERCODY2795
10-06-2006, 09:07 PM
I have all that stuff and wish i hadn''t allready bought the pearl.i might just buy the chest individually on ebay.

jonthejedi
10-07-2006, 04:10 AM
I have seen wave 2 from Zizzle showing up at Wally World...the Cannibal Chief looks to be the hard one to find.

Kidhuman
10-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Actually Masscus was the hard one for me to find. I saw about 5 Cannibal Chiefs to his one.

RooJay
10-08-2006, 08:46 PM
We've had them around here for nearly two months now. The only one that doesn't show up very often is Norrington. Plenty of Cannibal Chiefs and Macchuses everywhere.

evenflow
10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Still no signs of series 2 here.

Ji'dai
10-24-2006, 10:23 AM
I've seen, but have yet to buy, NECA's Dead Man's Chest Series 2. I love the large palm trees that are included with Sparrow and Swann.

My local TRU has raised Zizzle basic figure prices a dollar to $5.99 :(

There are also two different Disney POTC pumpkin-carving template kits at various retailers. These kits have paper stencils that you attach to your pumpkin and then carve out. I've seen kits that included carving tools and those without.

And now that Halloween is almost upon us, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas: I found some Pirates of the Caribbean Christmas ornaments at Wal-Mart yesterday; $6 for the box. The box contains four miniature ball ornaments with POTC decor. I wasn't too impressed with them.

master J
10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Went to Target today and found wave 3... didnt even hear one was coming! It is Captain Barbossa (woohoo!!!), The fake eyeball pirate and final duel Captain Jack and Will. Grabbed the only barbossa, very nice sculpt! Just thought I would share this.

JediTricks
10-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Wow, out of nowhere, this one was! Thanks for the heads-up, I've been putting off getting wave 2, looks like that's over.

Tycho
10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Does anyone else see the humor in Pirates of the Carribean coming in on WAVES!

HarHarHar. Sometimes I'm so funny I amuse myself :laugh:

plasticfetish
10-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Good stuff! Picked up Barbossa at Target today. (Also grabbed Maccus. Found one with good paint at last.) :Pirate:

JediTricks
11-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Target has Zizzle POTC2 figs on sale for $5.50, so I bought the rest of the pirates I had wanted:

Zizzle Pirates of the Carribean Elizabeth Swan - Not the best likeness, but a decent female pirate figure. Outfit is good, I wish her scabbard actually worked though, she has 2 swords that could go in it.

Zizzle Pirates of the Carribean Captain Norrington - Decent likeness, painted too "clean" for POTC2 though. Hat seems a touch small. Good figure marred by the right shoulder permanently out away from the body, makes for a great gun-holding pose but should have been a regular shoulder instead.

Zizzle Pirates of the Carribean Ragetti - Ok likeness but paint isn't quite right, especially hair. Figure comes with the dead man's chest and key, no weapons but I did want the accessories and don't want Davy Jones so this works out.

Zizzle Pirates of the Carribean Captain Barbossa - very good likeness, great outfit, good sword, decent flintlock. If I hadn't found this figure, I doubt I would have bought the other 3 above.

Jango Speck
11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
When is the next wave of NECA figures coming out, and where can they be found? (I found the last few waves on clearance at Suncoast)

figrin bran
11-07-2006, 09:48 PM
i think that hot topic might carry some of the NECA figures. tower records used to but they're going out of business.

plasticfetish
11-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Why "no" to Davy Jones, JT?
Target has Zizzle POTC2 figs on sale for $5.50That reminds me... for all of my Pacific Northwest brothers (and sisters) that haven't floated away in the last few days, Fred Meyer has the Zizzle figs on sale for $3.99 right now.

I picked up Raggeti and a Bootstrap Bill. :Pirate:

When is the next wave of NECA figures coming out, and where can they be found?Hot Topic has some, but I've been seeing them at Spencer's mostly... and yeah, at Suncoast also.

JediTricks
11-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Why "no" to Davy Jones, JT?I didn't care for the look of any of those denizens of the Flying Dutchman, the aesthetic concept just didn't work for me. All the figures I've got from this line have been the normal humans, the only humans I haven't picked up are the Jack and Will repaints and the Cannibal.

Ji'dai
11-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I saw NECA's 12" electronic version of Davy Jones at Spencers today for $40. I thought they were going to do an 18" version to match the Jack Sparrow ones that are already out :confused:

General_Grievous
12-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Found pics of two of the NECA DMC Series 3 figures, Commodore Norrington and Klanker. Joining these two will be repacks of Cannibal Jack and Barbossa.

Ji'dai
12-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I just picked up Series 2 yesterday but have yet to open 'em. I don't remember seeing Klanker in DMC. I was thinking NECA would do the crewman whose head/shell came off during the Davy Jones' treasure chest chase. I hope NECA includes more palm trees with a couple of these Series 3 figures.

General_Grievous
12-02-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't remember seeing Klanker in DMC

He was one of the pirates playing the dice game on the Dutchman.

Ji'dai
12-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks, GG, that cursed crew on the Dutchmen tend to all blur together, hard to discern who's who.

I opened my NECA DMC Series 2 figs and am pretty happy with them. NECA is reusing the same molds over and over for Sparrow, but I had to get the palm tree included with the figure. Those palms are cool as hell - really detailed and stand about 11.5" tall.

The local Sam's Wholesale Club has the four Zizzle deluxe figures bundled together in a nice cardboard box that reminded me of the SW POTF2 3 figure bundles that they had years ago. You can get all four deluxe for $30.

I finally saw Zizzle's 12" Davy Jones at K-Mart this week too. K-Mart has a sale offering $10 off the purchase of a 12" DMC figure and the DVD.

jonthejedi
12-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Just an F.Y.I...Target has Zizzle's POTC on sale for 2.99(AAAYYYEEE!) thru Sat. I picked up Norrington, Ragetti & Cannibal Chief Jack.

figrin bran
12-09-2006, 07:40 PM
i had no idea these figures even existed but at Target today i saw some "movie 3 sneak preview" figures today...the card is different and they had a Will Turner, "half skeleton" Jack Sparrow, "singapore disguised" Elizabeth Swann. on the back of the card there's a new barnacle encrusted pirate and an asian looking character, presumably from the next film.

for only $2.99, i bought two of the Swanns, as it'll make great custom fodder and a Barbosa.

plasticfetish
12-09-2006, 07:51 PM
i had no idea these figures even existed butYou're talkin' Zizzle figures, right?

If you could snap a pic or two of those, I'd appreciate it. Had no idea...

figrin bran
12-09-2006, 08:05 PM
yep zizzle figures. unfortunately i don't have a camera right now but i'll try to find a pic from other sources.

edit: okay here's a pic from another site

unfortunately it doesn't do the figure justice. notice that there's coin pack in as well. looks like coins are all the rage in '07! :p

Tycho
12-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I was at Disneyland and rode the Pirates of the Caribbean ride last Wednesday.

They put in some of your movie stuff you guys love. The animatronic Johnny Depps look pretty darn realistic.

figrin bran
12-09-2006, 09:33 PM
i've been on that movie version of the POTC ride and i have to say that it was better before. the Sparrows look realistic and they captured Mr. Depp's likeness very well but it's a classic case of shoehorning all this movie stuff into the ride.

now for a mini review of the Preview Swann figure...

the sculpt is excellent and the face isn't entirely like Kiera's (though interestingly and ironically enough, it is a very good Padme likeness). it has the standard 8 POA that most of the figures in this line have. she comes with a removable asian style harness (like the sort that are worn over kimonos) with two holsters for pistols. there's also what the package describes as an "asian cloak". it's molded plastic and looks really bulky on the figure but even if it were soft goods, it would still be bulky. there's also a "Raiden" (mortal kombat) hat included.

the coin is a terrible pack in as it's plastic and more akin to those puzzle pieces that Frito Lay put into their bags of chips to promote aotc. you hold them to light and you see a character's likeness. there's a code printed on the back of these coins that you're supposed to use at zizzle's site to get info about POTC 3.

General_Grievous
12-10-2006, 12:00 PM
That POTC 3 Liz looks pretty different from the past Zizzle figures. The sculpt of the figure does indeed look like Padme, figrin.

DarkArtist
12-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Wow, I'm still trying to find Captain Barbossa, didn't even hear about the preview figures. the Will Turner / half skeleton sounds cool. does anyone know if they are only at Target or are they all over.

General_Grievous
12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
the Will Turner / half skeleton sounds cool.

It's actually Jack who's half skeleton, a figure from the first movie. I actually saw a few of these at Target today. There was Skeleton Jack, Elizabeth, and Clanker (Flying Dutchman pirate), who is also in NECA's upcoming wave. Didn't pick any up, but they looked cool to me. And since they made a Cursed Jack, could Cursed Barbossa and cursed skeleton pirates from the first film be on the way?

Ji'dai
12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I haven't seen the Zizzle sneak preview figures locally yet. Based on figrin's description though, they sound cool.

I did open and promptly broke my NECA Palifico figure last week. Both friggin' wrist pegs broke in two not five minutes after I had the dang thing out of the package. I don't know if a little freezer time would've prevented it or not. So now I've got to find a way to remove the broken pegs from inside the hands and forearms and replace them with another plastic peg. I suppose I could just glue the hands back on, but I don't want to lose the wrist articulation. It's practically the only POAs on the figure!

General_Grievous
12-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Found pics of the rest of this series on eBay.

Tai Huang, Skeleton Jack, Will, and Clanker. The Davy Jones in this series is just a repack with a sword. It looks like Elizabeth is probably the best out of this wave.

DarkArtist
12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
might get Elizabeth and Jack and pass on the rest. wasn't a big fan of the line but couldn't pass on picking up Jack Sparrow. passed on the cannibal version though.

COMMANDERCODY2795
12-15-2006, 10:51 PM
i'll probably get the whole new wave except for jones if he's actully the same...

Tycho
12-16-2006, 12:12 AM
So do all of you POTC fans here own The Black Pearl playset / vehicle for your figures?

Chime in if you DO NOT own it and why you didn't buy it.

figrin bran
12-16-2006, 01:02 AM
No, i do not own the Black Pearl...i only own about 5 figures from this line and since i don't even have the space for an endor AT-AT, i certainly don't have the space for a playset/vehicle for a line where i own so few figures.

but off the record, i didn't buy because the Insects told me not to. :p

Ji'dai
12-16-2006, 02:41 PM
but off the record, i didn't buy because the Insects told me not to. :p My god, they've gotten to you!

Uh... I mean.. I welcome our new insect overlords and would like to remind them that I could be useful rounding up slaves to work in their underground sugar mines.

2-1B
12-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I didn't get it either for the reasons Figrin mentioned....except in my case, the crustaceons told me not to do it.

jonthejedi
12-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Why didn't I think of this when I tried to sneak that Imp. shuttle pass my wife that Saturday. The toys told me to buy it...only when it doesn't interfere with the 1st 3 bilaws of our Insect masters.(I loved A Bugs Life by the way in case you are monitoring our primitive transmissions.).

Jayspawn
12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
No offense to those collecting them, but the Pirates figures made by Zizzle s---!!! The quality and likeness sucks! They're Pirates figures for 5 year olds -so I hope thats what you're buying them for.

Anyways, Finally saw NECA's Pirate Elizabeth. AND AGAIN! NECA totally missed the likeness! Is Keira really that hard to get?

JediTricks
12-18-2006, 03:48 PM
I saw 3 of the preview figures at Target the other day, they finally got Will Turner's likeness down, I think it was just an adjustment to the paint masks and the sculpt already held up. Still, with them it's just more of the same, so I passed, and they had Skeleton Jack and I passed.

I've been collecting all the human pirates in this line and am very pleased. I didn't buy the Black Pearl simply because of money, but I did put it at the top of my xmas list.

Tycho
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm sure you guys knew where I was headed with this, but:

If Jabba's Sailbarge, the AT-TE, or the TurboTank were made, would you hesitate to buy it

a) because of money (include waiting for a clearance sale here, too)?

b) because of lack of space to display it in?

Or would you just haul off and get it immediately because you want it, it's Star Wars, etc.?

I bring this up because Hasbro says they hesitate to do large new vehicles because they want to sell a lot of them if they do, thus since their customers are Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys R Us, those stores want to sell a lot of them at full price - clearaning them out does not warrant re-ordering or new orders for any like-toys.

Thus, if Wal-Mart is charging $58 for the Black Pearl, and it sells, they'll order more and get a full-sized Flying Dutchman if they made one of those, too.

If people are waiting to purchase this at $24.98 clearance prices, Wal-Mart buyers will NOT order more Black Pearls, or any Flying Dutchmans should Zizzle want to try and make them.

Bringing this back to Star Wars, if Jabba's sailbarge came out at $100, or the AT-TE, that's what the retailers would want to get for it before they chance any other large vehicles.

The sad truth is that if you're impoverished or run out of room for more toys, these product manufacturers don't give a darn what you dream of having (a Star Destroyer or Blockade Runner?) - you'll never afford it or have room to display it and you'll only purchase it if some retailer is losing money on it and trying to get rid of it.

This hobby has so many "discount haulers" that the large vehicles should be farmed out to highend product designers like Master Replicas or SideShow make themselves out to be.

JediTricks
12-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I am running out of space and am nearly always out of money. If it were the sail barge, I would not hesitate to buy it (unless it was ridiculously undersized and really stupidly done), with the AT-TE there's a chance I'd buy it right away but at that pricepoint I know I could wait so I might wait a little. With the Black Pearl, my plan was to wait till I could afford it, when I could afford it the darn thing was off the market, then I put it on my xmas list figuring "what the hell" and TRU started restocking them - once something is on my list I cannot buy it for myself until the holiday's over.

Ji'dai
12-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I found the Zizzle Sneak Preview figures at TRU but reluctantly passed on them. I won't pay $6 for Star Wars figures so these will have to wait until a sale.

I'd buy a Hasbro Sail Barge if it wasn't too hokey. I would mainly use it as a figure display so it would have to look pretty good. I wouldn't pay more than $150 though. I would not buy an AT-TE or any other prequel vehicle.

plasticfetish
12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
I put up an note about this over at actionfigs.com (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2106), but for those of you that haven't seen 'em yet, there are photos of Clanker (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2106) and (sneak preview figure) Tai Huang (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2109) in the Database.

:Pirate:

jonthejedi
12-22-2006, 05:04 AM
I haven't seen the sneak preview wave yet.

RooJay
12-23-2006, 11:04 PM
I totally dig this line! I would totally would own the Black Pearl already if I could find that sucker. I've seen it a couple times, but didn't have the money on me. Both times I went back to the store the next day and they were sold out. It would seem that in spite of Hasbro's insistance that there is no market for playsets and large scale vehicles that plastic pirate ships are somehow exempt from consideration.

Tycho
12-24-2006, 01:38 AM
I agree with Roojay (above) totally. I hope he gets his pirate ship, too. It looks great.

I saw the Sneak Preview figures for POTC3 today.

I took special notice of the Elizabeth Swan figure (Kierra Knightley). I don't collect POTC, but I do admire the stuff.

She could be great custom-fodder. What Star Wars characters are you guys tempted to make out of her?

figrin bran
12-24-2006, 02:07 AM
that's exactly why i picked up an extra sneak preview swann when they were on sale at target for $2.99. i'm planning to make a generic female jedi out of her.

DarkArtist
12-28-2006, 07:19 AM
picked up Elizabeth Swan and Pirate / Skeleton Jack Sparrow last night. Can't wait to see the rest of the wave. passed on the other two figures and still haven't found a decent looking Barbossa

figrin bran
12-30-2006, 07:24 PM
i saw even more new POTC stuff at Target this morning.

3 new deluxe sets - Pintel w. Shark, Sparrow w. Kraken, Kirilenko (Kovalenko? Kovalchuk?) w. giant puffer fish.

3 new comic 2 packs (ha, where did they get this idea from?)
Pirate Disguised Swann/Sparrow
"slimed" Turner/Davy Jones
Pintel and Ragetti in sparrow disguises

Blue2th
12-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Every store in my area has sold out of the Black Pearl Sail-barge, I mean playset.. There are alot of Wheel-House playsets on clearance though. I was tempted to go all out in buying this series of toys, but my lack of room stopped me. Dammit! Oh well.

DarkArtist
12-31-2006, 02:22 PM
i saw even more new POTC stuff at Target this morning.

3 new deluxe sets - Pintel w. Shark, Sparrow w. Kraken, Kirilenko (Kovalenko? Kovalchuk?) w. giant puffer fish.

3 new comic 2 packs (ha, where did they get this idea from?)
Pirate Disguised Swann/Sparrow
"slimed" Turner/Davy Jones
Pintel and Ragetti in sparrow disguises

how did they look, any good. I like the Preview figure of Swann and the skeleton Jack but haven't seen any of the stuff you mentioned.

figrin bran
01-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Dark Artist, i passed on all that stuff i saw yesterday. i'm not a completist for this line and so i can just pick and choose. the deluxe figures look okay but the animals, especially the giant puffer fish look absolutely ridiculous. the kraken doesn't look so great either.

the comic book figures are more or less repacks

JediTricks
01-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I saw all of these at Target yesterday, the deluxes are just repacks of the basic figures with crappier paint jobs and animals that, as said, don't look that good. The comic 2-packs don't look that great, but they appear to be remolds, the one I took notice of had remolded Elizabeth in Pirate Gear's head to be hatless. Here's the set, not the greatest pic but still:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIRATES-OF-THE-CARIBBEAN-LOT-OF-6-FIGURES-w-COMIC-BOOKS_W0QQitemZ150076523179QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1423 35QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I picked up Tai Huang since there'd be the occasional asian guy among pirate crews in the old pirate movies, the figure is alright, the sculpt isn't that accurate to the actor but is pretty decent. The softer plastic for the head and limbs made for a removable head and some worrying moments as the arm joints nearly gave way, but ultimately it came out fine. The sword is too rubbery but fits well in his belt, the other side of the belt is open for the pistol but it's odd because of how open it is. The figure holds his accessories well, and isn't too overly-posed. Grade: B

figrin bran
01-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Hey JT, that hat on Tai Huang comes off, right?

JediTricks
01-02-2007, 01:07 AM
It's a separate piece, but I think it's glued on, I couldn't get it to come off.

plasticfetish
01-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Saw all of this new stuff tonight also. Doubt that I'll get any of them, though the pirate with the puffer fish is a maybe.
Grade: BI haven't opened mine (and I might not), but that seems fair.

JON9000
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
the Black Pearl is now on clearance at Wal-Mart for $35 if you are into that sort of thing. I don't get POTC, but I thought y'all would want to know!

Tycho
01-02-2007, 03:21 PM
That doesn't inspire my sailbarge hopes. The Black Pearl needs to be a long term best-seller at $58 or whatever it was originally, so Hasbro will even blink at it and think that we're right about Jabba's sailbarge.

[Tycho walks into Wal-Mart, picks up a Black Pearl and takes it to customer service. "I know the clearance price is $35 now, but I want to pay $58 dollars plus tax for this. It's important for reasons I am not at liberty to explain. Can I see a manager about a price increase?"]

Blue2th
01-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, I'd like to pay $35, come to think of it, I would almost pay $58 now, but the Black Pearl is long gone from every Walmart I've checked (that's eight in my general area) and all four Targets. I'm hoping there is a restocking of some left over, but I doubt it. Walmart, Target, TRU, Kb's online are all sold out. This should be an indicator for Hasbro that the Black Pearl did well. Though they all probably mostly went at sale price. If we see a full size Flying Duchman one day, guess these playsets did well enough. I'll keep checking Walmart for a while. $35 is a good price, though Tycho has a good point about paying full pop. Dammit, I just paid $60 for a Shuttle. Should have bought the Black Pearl instead.:ninja:

Tycho
01-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Nah, the shuttle is a good buy, especially since some of us paid FAO Schwartz $125 for it back in the day. Besides, Hasbro and their buyers don't even have to make cross-comparisons with the Black Pearl when it comes to registering your purchase. It's big. It's Star Wars. It sold at full price. They'll order in more of them. That's even simple enough for people that work for Target and Hasbro to understand. :D

Blue2th
01-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah, simple enough. I already had the FAO shuttle, then I got the "greedy completist syndrome" doh!:ninja: We might see the Black Pearl sail again though. There's still another movie:yes:

Tycho
01-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah, simple enough. I already had the FAO shuttle, then I got the "greedy completist syndrome" doh!:ninja: We might see the Black Pearl sail again though. There's still another movie:yes:

That's one way to make the most out of marketing a toy, therebye justifying its parts tooling costs. I actually forgot about the fact they could reuse it, as Kenner / Hasbro reused the tooling for the Millennium Falcon so many times.

I think they reissued the Republic Gunship in so many paint schemes, the Jedi Starfighters as well now that I come to think about it, because they could never reuse the Queen's Royal Starship from Episode One (for a new movie or a repaint or something). I bet they might not have produced that if they'd learned that the ship would not appear in AOTC and ROTS.

The Falcon, AT-AT, Shuttle, Gunship, and even the recent repaint of the ARC-170 have all seen the returns on their toolings maximized. The Royal Starship didn't get that chance (though it was originally sold for $100 - the highest price (almost) of any of the largest vehicle assortment offerings.

This theory fits in with Hasbro saying that if an AT-TE fits in with the CW television series, they could see themselves making it (or the Turbo Tank - or both).

By the same token, the Sailbarge would have to make it into the live-action series. Jabba was arriving on Tatooine and taking control of the local government in the post-ROTS time. It's feasible we could see that vehicle appear in the series. Then Hasbro might be more inclined to look at it, coupled with their shuttle and AT-AT sales, as well as Zizzle's example with the Black Pearl.

Blue2th
01-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Must be a leap of faith for Hasbro to make the upcoming Sith Infiltrator, it not being a "reusable" mold. Unless we see something like that in CW (uh-oh look out for more re-paint Jedi Starfighters! :ninja: ) It doesn't look good for the Sailbarge. We can only pray now:cry: . Hasbro has to pay alot less royalties to Lucas for it to be profitable enough I guess. Unlike Zizzle and Disney. Seems to have worked out pretty good. Interesting to note that the Isla Cruces (wheelhouse) playset is now on sale for half it's retail price of $30 to $15. Yet it still is overwhelming the endcaps at Walmart. Every e-tailer still has them. Yet the Black Pearl never went for half off, yet it sold out. Just goes to show yah that kids like the vehicles better.

JediTricks
01-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm not surprised WM is clearancing the Pearl, they've done it twice before during its normal run, it's merely that they don't have the room for any backstock especially of this size and they're asking $10 more than Target initially (plus, most of WM's Pearl boxes are mangled up bad). Most stores in LA sold out of the Pearl playset weeks ago right after the DVD came out and they restocked, I was hunting hard for one until I just got it at EE. Supposedly, Target is expecting another shipment of 'em in February. I don't see this as a sign that there's anything wrong with Zizzle's item, its sell-thru rate from Dec 5th was unbelievably strong around here and the 3rd movie coming out in a few months will rekindle interest. IMO, the problem is Hasbro's budget requirements and sales-to-profit expectations and their bad timing, all leading to a relatively poor dollar-satisfaction level for customers because they want the vehicle to make money on its own without factoring in the increased figure sales it should be generating.

Hasbro sees the $20 pricepoint as a safe bet, anything at that price will move they claim, seems to be true as even the Wheelbike sold eventually and it's pretty heinous, so the issue of reuse is outweighed by the increased sales expected.

Ji'dai
01-05-2007, 05:15 PM
The Zizzle Black Pearl is completely sold out here so none made it to clearance. I haven't seen any new figures but WM's here included the line in their '07 resets. They also lowered the price on basic figures a dollar, to $4.88.

I did see a new role play weapon - Jack Sparrow's spinning dagger. An electronic dagger attached to a glove that spins when you push a button.

Blue2th
01-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I walked into Walmart today, and the only thing reset on the shelves was POTC. Everything else including SW was moved over to clearance.

Tycho
01-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I hope my Wal-Mart does that with Star Wars, so they'll restock with wave 8, 9, & the exclusive Wmt Wave.

Bye-Bye Lushros Dofine!

JediTricks
01-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, I finally got to take home the Black Pearl playset last night and put it together. This thing is awesome, tons of fun, huge but not oppressively so, lots of play area and features. I put all 8 of my POTC figures on it, had some battles and whatnot, very fun, lots to do.

I'm not sure a Sail Barge could have as much going on as this does simply because there's less going on in ROTJ with it, but at this size it should have some dialogue and battle sounds, opening windows, a moving gun, the sails, top deck hatch, a rope to swing down to the skiff, maybe a spring-loaded launching platform for Boba Fett, and maybe some interior detailing (nothing crazy though, just a little) - that'd all fit in something around the Black Pearl's size nicely.

Tycho
01-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Glad you liked the Black Pearl, JT. At Comic Con I saw it loose in person and it looked really impressive - enough to make me mad as hell about it and the sailbarge issue as you and I both very well know. Grrrrr.

As for Sailbarge action features, I like some of your ideas. I'll add some of my own:

Totally EU cockpit for 1-2 drivers so that question is answered
Interior prisoner cage - hey it's Jabba's boat
Totally EU live food tank for frogs (repack of the Jabba Glob accessories)
Deck Cannon - Deluxe Slave Leia's accessory no doubt
working windows
trap door
launching platform for Boba Fett (JT's idea)
pivot axis so ship can split in half to simulate destruction
rope to swing down to the skiff (JT's idea)
Throne area for Jabba by windows
access ramp for Jabba himself

figrin bran
01-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Don't forget - Hasbro said that what one company manufactures has no bearing on what they are able to produce :p

RooJay
01-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Rather, what they're willing to produce.

JediTricks
01-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Glad you liked the Black Pearl, JT. At Comic Con I saw it loose in person and it looked really impressive - enough to make me mad as hell about it and the sailbarge issue as you and I both very well know. Grrrrr.

As for Sailbarge action features, I like some of your ideas. I'll add some of my own:

Totally EU cockpit for 1-2 drivers so that question is answered
Interior prisoner cage - hey it's Jabba's boat
Totally EU live food tank for frogs (repack of the Jabba Glob accessories)
Deck Cannon - Deluxe Slave Leia's accessory no doubt
working windows
trap door
launching platform for Boba Fett (JT's idea)
pivot axis so ship can split in half to simulate destruction
rope to swing down to the skiff (JT's idea)
Throne area for Jabba by windows
access ramp for Jabba himselfIt seems like that'd be a vehicle twice as big as the Pearl, the cockpit would probably take up the most room. The cage would work if it were only big enough to hold 2 guys, what'd be cool would be a trap door above it from the top deck to drop them right into it, different from the top hatch that Boba Fett uses. The Pearl has a trap door into a jail cell, it's cool but is bigger.

Tycho
01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Instead of a cockpit, the ship could have a one-man "wheel" similar to an old pirate ships, but "tech'd out for the futuristic look of Star Wars."

Still it makes no sense for a vehicle not to have a command and control center.

As to your trap door and prisoner cage idea - I like it! Yeah, holding even 1 figure, let alone 2, would be enough.

figrin bran
01-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Rather, what they're willing to produce.

i'm sure i've mentioned it in this thread or perhaps another but if Hasbro is willing to make $300 robo "butterscotch" ponies, they sure as heck should make large scale vehicles.

RooJay
01-11-2007, 01:00 AM
i'm sure i've mentioned it in this thread or perhaps another but if Hasbro is willing to make $300 robo "butterscotch" ponies, they sure as heck should make large scale vehicles.
Very good point. I wonder how Hasbro would answer to that? I find it very hard to believe that there was a large enough demand for that thing to be justifiable to produce and yet still not enough demand for a new, larger Millenium Falcon at least! Maybe one of us should add that question to the 'questions to ask Hasbro' poll.

figrin bran
01-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Yes, RooJay, one of us should ask that to Hasbro. those Butterscotches seemed to do really well too. Coupled with the fact that the Endor AT-AT's and Imperial Shuttles pretty much sold out, their faith in large scale toys should be quite strong.

JediTricks
01-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Very good point. I wonder how Hasbro would answer to that? I find it very hard to believe that there was a large enough demand for that thing to be justifiable to produce and yet still not enough demand for a new, larger Millenium Falcon at least! Maybe one of us should add that question to the 'questions to ask Hasbro' poll.I think it's easier for Hasbro to justify Butterscotch for the following reasons:
- it's a flagship toy that girls who are into it are going to want desparately;
- it's a 3' tall robot horse for only $250-$350;
- it's something that's never been done before;
- it's part of their "Fur-real Friends" line which is one of their top brands right now, so the risk is lessened.

There's nothing among that which a large Star Wars vehicle could compete, while SW has been selling decently in an off-movie year, it's still a brand that's lagging rather than leading, and there's nothing they could do with a vehicle to match those other aspects - it's never going to be as amazing as the first robo-pony that just about anybody can afford.

That said, there's no reason they couldn't do a larger Millennium Falcon for $75 or so, or a decent Jabba's Sail Barge for $50-$60, the only reasons they don't is because Hasbro's desire for profit off single molds is very high with this line, they have high expectations for the item itself to abate their pre-market risks rather than looking at the advantages of further basic figure sales with the item. Basically, with Star Wars entries, they want a guarantee before they sink a single dime into development and generally there's no guarantees in life (although I'd say it's a fair guarantee that little girls want ponies they can never have :p).

RooJay
01-13-2007, 07:16 PM
I think it's easier for Hasbro to justify Butterscotch for the following reasons:
- it's a flagship toy that girls who are into it are going to want desparately;
- it's a 3' tall robot horse for only $250-$350;
- it's something that's never been done before;
- it's part of their "Fur-real Friends" line which is one of their top brands right now, so the risk is lessened.

There's nothing among that which a large Star Wars vehicle could compete, while SW has been selling decently in an off-movie year, it's still a brand that's lagging rather than leading, and there's nothing they could do with a vehicle to match those other aspects - it's never going to be as amazing as the first robo-pony that just about anybody can afford.

That said, there's no reason they couldn't do a larger Millennium Falcon for $75 or so, or a decent Jabba's Sail Barge for $50-$60, the only reasons they don't is because Hasbro's desire for profit off single molds is very high with this line, they have high expectations for the item itself to abate their pre-market risks rather than looking at the advantages of further basic figure sales with the item. Basically, with Star Wars entries, they want a guarantee before they sink a single dime into development and generally there's no guarantees in life (although I'd say it's a fair guarantee that little girls want ponies they can never have :p).

I don't know...sounds like a bit of a different story here:

www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=10&p2_articleid=536

Star Wars Still #1 Toy Buy
By SirSteve
Published: December 24, 2006
Print E-mail

Star Wars movie toys are the biggest-selling of all-time and still topping the sales charts more than 30 years after the original film's release.
They are the best-selling movie toys for 2006, according to Toys R Us - even though it's been over a year since the last Star Wars film, Revenge Of The Sith, was released.

Not even this year's box office smashes, such as Cars, Pirates of the Caribbean and Batman, can compete. Toys R Us said: "It is incredible that a film which first hit cinemas in 1977 is still selling millions of toys."

TOP MOVIE TOYS OF 2006:

1 Star Wars

2 Cars

3 Pirates of the Caribbean

4 Batman

5 Spiderman

6 Scooby Doo

7 Toy Story

8 Ice Ages

9 Superman

10 Spongebob

11 Kong