PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek The Original Series

Jayspawn
02-02-2004, 05:44 PM
So who here is a huge fan of the Original Star Trek? I've anyways wanted an Original Star Trek thread and now I have one, haha.

Anyways, I like Original Trek best because of the nostalgia and the classic vintage look of it. Plus William Shatner's charisma and over-acting, Nimoy's great character acting and all the great side characters and absurd alien costumes.

Anybody else?

Mandalorian Candidat
02-02-2004, 05:46 PM
I remember watching it when I was younger because it was the only interesting thing on TV on Saturdays at around 5 in the afternoon. I really hated all the love stuff that they had Kirk do every so often.

I imagine that it's on cable but I don't know who shows it or at what time. Anyone know?

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Sci Fi shows it, but I'm not sure if it has a scheduled time slot or not. I caught some episodes Friday when they had Star Trek playing for part of their daily rotation they show from 11am-4pm. The thing about that is, the show changes everyday, so one day it is Star Trek, the next day they show Amazing Stories, the next day is Quantum Leap, etc. I guess check sci-fi's programming to see when they show it.

Jayspawn
02-02-2004, 05:53 PM
It's on the Sci-Fi Channel, I dont' know what times but they often have Star Trek Marathons where they show random episodes for hours on end. Good times!

My favorite episodes have to be "The Trouble With Tribbles" or "I, Mudd"

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 07:58 PM
SFC has totally screwed their schedule up, so it's not on every day anymore, it bounces around and has those aforementioned blocks, but they're the traditional syndication cut versions rather than the entire episodes that SFC used to show.

TOS is great, I was born a Trekkie and even though TNG is my favorite series, TOS is a close 2nd (and DS9 is a close 3rd, then Enterprise & Voyager distant 4th & 5th). I love how TOS was able to get to the meat of the stories in seasons 1 and 2 before Gene Roddenberry left and the network slashed budgets and move timeslots yet again. That was the best part about TOS for me, most of the stories had some comedy, some drama, the central plot, and special effects that did enough of the job so my imagination could fill in the rest. They really pulled off a lot with such a shoestring budget. When I was a kid, I was sorta annoyed by Nurse Chapel and Chekov, but as I got older, I found I liked their work and only Scotty felt wrong more than usual. The most annoying thing on the show to me was when the weapons on the ship would come out of the wrong place or torpedoes would be ordered and you'd hear their sound but see phasers. Ultimately though, I guess what made the show work for me the best was that these people weren't amazed with their ship, they were comfortable and acclimated to their fictional universe and amidst that was the chemistry of the 3 leads.

sith_killer_99
02-02-2004, 08:33 PM
I am a fan of the original series. I remember staying up late (10-11pm) on school nights when I was in Junior High so I could watch!

Then they brought in TNG and I remember getting all excited that they had decided to revive the old series.

DS9 was a really slow starter for me. It took me years to really get into it, then they got some really good and complex storylines and I was hooked on Space Opera again!

I think the same thing is happening with me now with regards to Enterprise. I love where the storyline and the characters are going.

Also, whereas JT liked that the original crew conveyed a sense of comfort with the Enterprise. I like the way that Archer and the crew seem to be getting aquainted with the Enterprise. It really feels like the first voyage of this great ship.

scruffziller
02-04-2004, 07:52 AM
I own the entire series on Tape including THE CAGE which I taped off of the Sci-fi channel, (they didn't have it with the tape series:frus:, although I think they have it on the DVD:confused: ). I love Spock. He is one of the best charachters ever created of any genre. His scraps with McCoy are timeless.:D I find it interesting though of how the dialougue is alot less PC than you would find in TGN and on. And after watching the entire series you find about one third of TOS eps have been redone in the following thereafter series'. That number has probably increased with ENTERPRISE.:D I don't mind that they are redoing eps in ENTERPRISE but would like to see them get going more with the epsidoes we were promised with answering more questions and seeing more of eps of the origins of species we know and love instead of all these new ones. Was refreshing to see the Andorians again.

Tycho
02-05-2004, 01:23 AM
I am a Niner and a proud veteran of the Dominion Wars!

But TOS is my second favorite Star Trek of all time, and Captain James T. Kirk is my favorite Starship Captain ever!

TOS is Classic and timeless, even today.

Enterprise does not aggravate me, if I can sense where they are headed correctly. I just think they ought to hurry up and get there, so that the show doesn't lose more of an audience than it may have already. But it does not have to counter TOS continuity, and I don't see that it is, or think that it will. I have more faith in Bragga and Berman than that.

Meanwhile, I still revel in watching the old series with Kirk, and I love all 6 movies that they made.

I think the best moments in the Spock-McCoy relationship are captured in what's often the least favorite of the Trek movies: Star Trek 5. The camping trip at the beginning of that movie is the best!

plasticfetish
02-05-2004, 02:49 AM
I've been a fan of the original Star Trek series since I was a kid. My sister and I used to battle over who'd get to watch "their" show on our old black and white 13" TV. She'd argue for the Brady Bunch and I'd fight for Trek. We'd alternate and to this day, I really hate the Brady Bunch.

I've been watching that show for close to 30 years now, and still love having it on the TV when I can find it. I love the look of the show, I love the way 60's TV shows look in general, but Trek was always this great brightly colored science fiction comic book. It would be there to distract me every day after school. A brilliant mix of impossible, silly and exciting stories that always gave us plenty of latex alien faces, computer consoles decorated in blinking lights or planets covered in fiberglass rocks.

Just watched "Devil in the Dark" with my son the other day, and had a great time seeing him get excited about something as cool and silly as the Horta.

Tycho
02-05-2004, 01:45 PM
"Pain. Terrible Pain. Must....protect....the Chamber of the Ages!"

I loved the Horta. I actually hope ArtAsylum will make an "action figure" of the Horta to go with our Classic Trek figures!

Devil in the Dark! - great episode.

How come with TOS, like 65% of the Episodes or more are all memorable classics, and even taking proportions into account, none of the other shows touched that?

Probably because TOS actually is the all-time best Trek ever (though by genre, DS9's band-of-brothers war era approach was something so stadard to be appealing to me).

plasticfetish
02-05-2004, 04:37 PM
I loved the Horta. I actually hope ArtAsylum will make an "action figure" of the Horta to go with our Classic Trek figures!

How come with TOS, like 65% of the Episodes or more are all memorable classics, and even taking proportions into account, none of the other shows touched that?
A Horta figure would be easily one of the coolest most absurd toys ever. Man, I would love that. It would be great if they could make a mining tunnel pay set or something complete with Horta eggs and all.

As for more TOS episodes being memorable classics... I'd think that a lot of it has to do with time. We've had those shows longer, and they've really become a part of our culture, most of them having been referenced or used as inspiration for so many other things. Also, I think it has a lot to do with that show simply being one of the first of its kind to mix science fiction with serial TV drama. In many ways, the simplicity of it makes it so accessible and memorable to more people. Didn't Roddenberry always think of it like a kind of Sinbad adventure that takes place on a starship? Those stories are archetypes and we all recognize what they stand for... hmmm, much the same as the OT Star Wars movies.

I think that the other shows may have less "classic" episodes, simply because initially they where created and designed to appeal to a more select group of viewers. I've enjoyed most all of them in one way or another, but I'm a fan and they're "preaching to the pulpit" when they get me to tune in. TOS was more about presenting a kind of classically formatted TV show, but with all of the phasers and Hortas to kind of spice things up. For the later shows, the novelty of Sci-Fi was long over, so the story structure seems to begin with the gimmicks and then end with the drama.

I dunno, mostly I think the newer shows suffer from not being on "real" network television, and not being fixed in a regular convenient time slot. That's what made it hard for me to keep up with DS9 or Voyager. Enterprise I'm starting to really get into, that episode yesterday was great I think... a very "classic" Trek story. Makes me really want to try and get to the set once a week at a certain time again.

JediTricks
02-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Not "Sinbad", he called it "Wagon Train to the Stars" when pitching it to the network, but really he felt it was Horatio Hornblower in space, which it is (and this is a major thing that the other shows AREN'T). Horatio Hornblower is a military man who is also an adventurer and explorer all while doing his job. On "Enterprise", the character I feel comes closest to that is/was Trip, but he's not the lead character in the show and the writers don't give it the 3-tiered ensemble feel that TOS had. On TNG, Picard was a mature, experienced version of that Horatio Hornblower character who used his wits, experience, and trust in his crew to keep from falling into the same sort of traps that Kirk had, but this colder nature also alienated him from his crew and cost him a personal life.

I think TOS was a near-instant classic, not just now because it's old, but because even at the beginning it was taking characters and situations and boiling them down, telling these stories at the core levels, and putting them in an exciting sci-fi environment. We didn't get subtle internal torments, we got brash and bold acting that covered all the elements, characters that had to do their job first and worry about their feelings later.

Jayspawn
02-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey I caught "Patterns of Force" the other day on tv. Its of course is when Kirk and Spock beam down to a planet in which the civilization had adapted the lifestyle of the Nazis!

Risky episode if you ask me, even in 1968 when the episode aired. The story and costumes in the episode are great! Great scene when the crew is trying to get Dr. McCoy's boots on in a hurry. Hahah.

JediTricks
02-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Actually, I think in '68 it was *less* risky than trying to tell it today, there were a lot more cautionary tales about Fascism and Nazis and governmental control back in the '60s than there are today, weird huh? Still, Spock talking about the logic of it working was pretty wild, that was a bold move especially for a Jewish actor such as Nimoy.

Plus, it began the grand sci-fi tradition of Space Nazis! :D

Jayspawn
02-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Last night I got in 2 episodes That Which Survives and Mark of Gideon.

That Which Survives is another odd 3rd Season episode thats pretty good. And has Lee Meriwether guest starring. She was pretty hot too. It was a good Spock and Scotty episode.

You can tell in Mark of Gideon that the budget was cut because the set is the same Enterprise with a few of the rooms moved around. The only new set is the Council Chamber. In this episode, Kirk makes it with with a girl named Odona. Still a good episode w/ limited $ for it.

Tycho
04-18-2007, 02:42 AM
I'm watching all TOS again and I've always seriously loved this episode (Patterns of Force). Kirk goes to Ekos and finds his old Academy professor as "Der Fuhrer," but he has been usurped by the "Deputy Fuhrer" and a war has been started in the name of ethnic cleansing. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy work with the underground to stop it.

Anyway, it was one of the first TOS episodes to show a large alien planetary society in Star Trek.

It was nicely done!

(I realize WWII and the Nazis seem to be an over-used plot device in Trek today, but this was the very first time).

BountyHunterScum
04-18-2007, 07:05 AM
The Remastered "And all the children shall lead" and "The Immunity Syndrome" aired this past weeked. ABC has rights to show the remastered episodes.

Tycho
04-18-2007, 12:00 PM
The Remastered "And all the children shall lead" and "The Immunity Syndrome" aired this past weeked. ABC has rights to show the remastered episodes.

Is ABC showing them or did they just secure the rights?

Are you talking about the new updates with the redone special effects?

I may wait and see if I can buy all those episodes on DVD. My TOS is on Columbia House VHS. I have almost all my Star Trek like that except Voyager's 6 & 7 are on DVD and that is the only way Enterprise was released.

Of course, I'd have gotten all of them on DVD but it wasn't in the marketplace when I first started collecting Trek.

BountyHunterScum
04-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Yes the remastered Star Trek has redone space and fx shots. The ships all look totally real now including the planet killer. For example when shooting the blue weapons glow illuminates the hull. The window lights illuminate the hull in the pitch black amoeba zone too.

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/immunity/new_immunity_05.jpg
http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/immunity/new_immunity_08.jpg
http://trekmovie.com/2007/02/10/the-doomsday-machine-screenshots/

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Am I the only person who finds it kind of funny that these remastered shows have cutting-edge CGI, but still have a dude off-camera shaking the set whenever the ship is hit?

BountyHunterScum
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
They didn't want to ruin any of the stuff people love about Star Trek.

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah, but (for me, at least) the incredible cheesiness is part of the appeal. :)

JON9000
04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
TOS and TNG are the only series I can even stomach. I am quite fond of the better episodes, but I am not so nostalgic as to believe the majority of them are really good. The best episodes are truly excellent, though. My favorite TOS episode of all time is "The Doomsday Machine"

"Vulcans never bluff"

Great stuff.

BountyHunterScum
04-18-2007, 02:42 PM
The remastered Doomsday Machine was awesome. I hope they show Day of the Dove remastered soon I want to see that Klingon ship badly.

Tycho
04-18-2007, 05:00 PM
James, thank you for posting those links to the video from Doomsday Machine. That was awesome!

I'd be curious to see what they did with the First Federation ship, (Balock's) from The Corbomite Maneuver.

Yup, when this remastered collection hits DVD, I think I'm an eventual buyer.

Other effects they could redo are the "android creation" in "What Are Little Girls Made Of," and have it more T2 Cyborg growing-style rather than the "Lotto wheel." That sort of thing.

I agree that there is a certain charm in the cheeziness of it all however.

BountyHunterScum
04-18-2007, 05:46 PM
James, thank you for posting those links to the video from Doomsday Machine. That was awesome!

I'd be curious to see what they did with the First Federation ship, (Balock's) from The Corbomite Maneuver.

Yup, when this remastered collection hits DVD, I think I'm an eventual buyer.

Other effects they could redo are the "android creation" in "What Are Little Girls Made Of," and have it more T2 Cyborg growing-style rather than the "Lotto wheel." That sort of thing.

I agree that there is a certain charm in the cheeziness of it all however.

The Fesarius from corbomite maneuver was very detailed and huge. Wish and you shall receive.

http://trekmovie.com/2006/12/09/the-corbomite-maneuver-screenshots/

Tycho
04-18-2007, 07:30 PM
That looks a little better. It's not as impressive as what they did with the Doomsday Machine. However it was very obvious that in the original the Enteprise encountered a golf ball. Seriously.

The revamping of the effects were done to stay very close to the original.

Still the smaller towing vessel from the end of the episode could have still been done better as well.

There is also the scene where the Enterprise tries to jump to warp to get away from the cube the ship first encounters when Spock is in command of the bridge. When they fire at point blank range, shouldn't they be shooting with aft-phasers? How could they jump to warp and have the darn cube still be in front of them? Well, they could, but that detail should be worked out in the effects as well. Things like that bug me if you are trying to make this more realistic to improve it.

Lord Malakite
04-18-2007, 11:49 PM
ABC has rights to show the remastered episodes.
The updated episodes are syndicated. In Cincinnati Ohio they are also on ABC, but in Dayton Ohio and Louisville Kentucky they are on NBC.

Tycho
04-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Isn't that funny because it was originally network television that attempted to cancel TOS twice?

Mad Slanted Powers
04-19-2007, 01:49 AM
I think the new versions are airing on the CW here on the weekend. I saw "The Doomsday Machine" episode. That is one episode I remember from when I was a kid. That one always kind of freaked me out. The look of the inside of the thing, the music that played, and the seemingly invincibility of the thing all added up to something kind of scary.

Back in the 70's, I recall seeing an occasional Star Trek episode, but I didn't get into it much. Later, I recall them being on at a regular time and my brother was watching them. I saw a few more episodes then. It may have been then or a few years later where I started to enjoy it more. I liked how they were always able to find a way out their predicament, something that would be referenced with the Kobayashi Maru thing in Wrath of Kahn.

I remember when the first movie came out, but I didn't see it. I remember seeing action figures from it while I was looking at Star Wars figures. A few years later, I saw part of it on cable while visiting someone else's house. It seemed pretty boring. Eventually I saw the whole thing and enjoyed it some, but still it doesn't measure up with the series or the other movies.

I did see Star Trek II in the theaters - twice. That one I really enjoyed, and it is probably my favorite Star Trek movie. I missed III and IV though. I didn't see them until sometime in college a few years later. I saw all the other movies in the theater.

When TNG started, I was excited about a new Star Trek series. I saw the first episodes. I think I may have missed out on several episodes the first three seasons though. By season four though, it was a show I couldn't miss.

I think it was 1994 when I bought the Star Trek Chronology, so it was then I learned the names and order of all the episodes to that point. The CBC channel was showing Star Trek late each night, so I was able to watch all the episodes and know which one was coming next. Even though I had seen many of the episodes, I would often forget how they got out of all those predicaments, so it was still exciting to watch.

I've enjoyed all the series, but the original series stands out from the rest. Those episodes seemed like there was always something happening. They were full of action. The newer series seemed to have more slower moments with more personal and off duty interaction between characters. That didn't necessarily mean they weren't as good. It just gave those shows a different feel.

TeeEye7
04-19-2007, 06:38 AM
I dunno 'bout this stuff. :hurt: I'm such a traditionalist (I grew up watching first-runs of TOS, folks!) that I'm not sure I like it. Like Chuxter said, the cheesiness (read: "Mudd's Women", "Spock's Brain") is part of its charm.

I'm really going to have trouble accepting it if they come out with CGI tribbles!

BountyHunterScum
04-19-2007, 03:30 PM
I dunno 'bout this stuff. :hurt: I'm such a traditionalist (I grew up watching first-runs of TOS, folks!) that I'm not sure I like it. Like Chuxter said, the cheesiness (read: "Mudd's Women", "Spock's Brain") is part of its charm.

I'm really going to have trouble accepting it if they come out with CGI tribbles!

They didn't do CGI tribbles, the only "CGI" stuff relates to the FX shots like the ships, weapons and other light related FX.

Blue2th
04-19-2007, 07:09 PM
They didn't do CGI tribbles, the only "CGI" stuff relates to the FX shots like the ships, weapons and other light related FX.
What I've seen from the links you provided, I'm liking what I see.

I thought I read they did say they were going to do some planet backgrounds. Wonder what they will come up with on some of the planetary landscapes? Most of them were cheesy originally except for a few like the "Managerie" and "Where no Man has gone before" which were some of the same backgrounds that were done quite good actually.

BountyHunterScum
04-19-2007, 07:52 PM

I thought I read they did say they were going to do some planet backgrounds. Wonder what they will come up with on some of the planetary landscapes? Most of them were cheesy originally except for a few like the "Managerie" and "Where no Man has gone before" which were some of the same backgrounds that were done quite good actually.

Most if not all of the planetary landscapes were done extremely well they even redid Kirk Spocks and Mccoy's walk on Vulcna in Amok Time including a wideshot of the Vulcan landscape. Show them walking as little people on a huge desert landscape.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/02/17/amok-time-screenshots/
http://trekmovie.com/2007/03/31/the-tholian-web-screenshots/
http://trekmovie.com/2007/02/03/remastered-%e2%80%9cjourney-to-babel%e2%80%9d-screenshots/

Tycho
04-19-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm pretty sold on these! When are the remastereds coming out on DVD?!

BountyHunterScum
04-19-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sold on these! When are the remastereds coming out on DVD?!

I don't know yet but I will be getting the remastered TOS on DVD when all three seasons are in a set for a good price.

Lord Malakite
04-20-2007, 09:45 AM
I don't know yet but I will be getting the remastered TOS on DVD when all three seasons are in a set for a good price.
Knowing Paramount, you have a long wait a head of you. You still can't even find all three seasons of the unedited (non-updated) TOS on DVD for a good price.:rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
04-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Knowing Paramount, you have a long wait a head of you. You still can't even find all three seasons of the unedited (non-updated) TOS on DVD for a good price.:rolleyes:
What versions are in the Red, Yellow and Blue packages?

Lord Malakite
04-20-2007, 10:06 PM
What versions are in the Red, Yellow and Blue packages?
The unedited (non-updated) TOS. They aren't worth the $70 per season that Paramount wants for them though.

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I think one of the things that TOS really has over the rest of the Trek franchises is that TOS has a different tone, one more of optimism and exploration and duty and responsibility to the future, a lot of that is from Gene's hand, and I think the actors carry this well by melding Shakespearean overdrama with a genuine energy for the parts they're playing (Shatner and Nimoy especially). Plus, there a more "military life on a spaceship" thing that none of the others have even tried to do (I don't think Ent really tried to do this).

I'm watching all TOS again and I've always seriously loved this episode (Patterns of Force). Kirk goes to Ekos and finds his old Academy professor as "Der Fuhrer," but he has been usurped by the "Deputy Fuhrer" and a war has been started in the name of ethnic cleansing. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy work with the underground to stop it.

Anyway, it was one of the first TOS episodes to show a large alien planetary society in Star Trek.

It was nicely done!

(I realize WWII and the Nazis seem to be an over-used plot device in Trek today, but this was the very first time).Dude, that episode gave rise to a vital element in sci-fi, that of the infamous Space Nazis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Nazi)! :D

The Remastered "And all the children shall lead" and "The Immunity Syndrome" aired this past weeked. ABC has rights to show the remastered episodes.ABC has no such rights, the episodes are thrust into syndication, they took over the ST:Enterprise syndication slots (which had cycled through Voyager and were back on Enterprise when ST:Remastered kicked Ent to the curb), here in LA it's NBC who has that syndication right and they air it in the worst friggin' timeslot, 12:05am Monday morning (sunday night). Immunity Syndrome aired 2 weekends ago, I'm guessing your local station just held it back a week, they recycled the shuttle landing from Amok Time which I was kinda displeased with, they had been doing so well up until now about that stuff.

"And the Children Shall Lead" aired this last weekend and I had forgotten just how bad this POS is, attorney Melvin Belli is a particularly poor actor and the kids just aren't convincing. There's a good story buried DEEP in there, but it's savaged by some horrible script writing, a leap of logic early in the ep by Spock of all people, and Melvin Belli wearing a damn mumu complete with frilly flowered collar. The remastering really didn't deliver here because nearly all of it was just recycled shots (there's very few fx in this ep, just a new planet really), and the stuff they did with Gorgan's color and face didn't pay off all that great.

Is ABC showing them or did they just secure the rights?His local ABC affiliate bought the syndication airing rights for his area, in LA it's my local NBC affiliate.

Are you talking about the new updates with the redone special effects?Yeah, they're called "Remastered", they are a main feature on the front page of StarTrek.com: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/index.html

I may wait and see if I can buy all those episodes on DVDYou'll have to wait for a couple years, the current DVDs aren't the remastered ones and the remastered eps are far superior (they go back to source tapes and remaster them for HD, it's not just about new special effects), but they're releasing them nearly as soon as they make 'em so it's going to take a while to redo them all, the original show took 3 years so it probably will take at least half a year per season (we're talking about nearly 70 hours of show to remaster, not just some 2 hour movie). The new prints look way better than the originals, stuff like the control panels and uniforms really pop (they were colored-up because the network wanted to sell the show to viewers based on how great the new color television was, Roddenberry's original vision was far more gray).

Am I the only person who finds it kind of funny that these remastered shows have cutting-edge CGI, but still have a dude off-camera shaking the set whenever the ship is hit?That's in-camera stuff usually, or editing bay stuff, it's for the live-action work, can't go back and reshoot the actors flying about after all. And they have CGed some of the shaking actually, but it looks the same. That's key to this project, they're trying to keep the remastered fx looking as true to the essence of the originals, which is why there's no warp lines (which actually bothers me).

Yeah, but (for me, at least) the incredible cheesiness is part of the appeal. :)Don't worry, there's still the acting and the costumes and the sets and the props. :p But truthfully, I think the show has far more depth than just that cheesiness, there's a lot of lofty ideals in the 1st and 2nd season behind the cheap budget sets and crappy extras. Plus, if you want cheese, imagine the sets in clear HD instead of blurry old syndication tapes. ;)

Other effects they could redo are the "android creation" in "What Are Little Girls Made Of," and have it more T2 Cyborg growing-style rather than the "Lotto wheel." That sort of thing.They enhanced the interior of the android's exposed chest in I, Mudd.

That looks a little better. It's not as impressive as what they did with the Doomsday Machine. Actually, having seen both remastered eps, I'd say that it's the other way around in person, Balok's ship looked better than the Doomsday machine.

However it was very obvious that in the original the Enteprise encountered a golf ball. Seriously.No dude, they encountered the new year's eve ball from Times Square. :D

There is also the scene where the Enterprise tries to jump to warp to get away from the cube the ship first encounters when Spock is in command of the bridge. When they fire at point blank range, shouldn't they be shooting with aft-phasers? How could they jump to warp and have the darn cube still be in front of them?Jumped to warp in reverse, I guess. But how can they fire phasers at all at warp?

Isn't that funny because it was originally network television that attempted to cancel TOS twice?Yeah, funny, ha ha, actually it ****es me off to no end really, it did when NBC bid on Enterprise as well (yes, NBC had the gall to try to get Enterprise when it was in early production).

I'm really going to have trouble accepting it if they come out with CGI tribbles!The changes are nothing so extreme, they're trying to be respectful of the original, so the Gorn is still super cheesy rubber suit guy but now he has a quick-blinking eyelid, and the Horta is still a guy under an orange carpet (actually, I think the remastered version made the Horta look even MORE cheesy by showing in greater detail how bad that suit was, luckily the essence of the story remains powerful enough to keep that cheese from overwhelming).

I thought I read they did say they were going to do some planet backgrounds. Wonder what they will come up with on some of the planetary landscapes? Most of them were cheesy originally except for a few like the "Managerie" and "Where no Man has gone before" which were some of the same backgrounds that were done quite good actually.You should definitely track the remastered eps down in your area, they've been very enjoyable for me and I never really loved TOS until now - it had a fond spot in my heart, but now it's really impressing me.

Anyway, check out this planetary background (they link in the article to how it was used):
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31218

I'm pretty sold on these! When are the remastereds coming out on DVD?!Apparently, season 1 production is being accelerated so the first season will be on DVD at the end of the year: http://trekmovie.com/2007/01/26/trek-remastered-on-dvd-update-season-1-on-combo-disk-by-q4/
I'm very tempted to get this even though I bet it's gonna be expensive and they're gonna double-dip in a couple years. Plus, they're gonna go back and redo some shots if they have better models later down the road while producing the syndicated remastered series, so releasing a DVD this year seems like a guarantee of double-dipping.

I really wish they had started this project early LAST year for the 40th anniversary, seems all the best Trek 40th Anniversary stuff stalled until '07 which is goofy.

The unedited (non-updated) TOS. They aren't worth the $70 per season that Paramount wants for them though.Doubly so now that the season 1 remastered eps are coming out on DVD at the end of the year.

For anybody not convinced, the shredded Constellation pic here really impresses: http://trekmovie.com/2007/02/06/first-images-from-doomsday/

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2007, 12:32 AM
I just noticed that the episodes are available via iTunes for $1.99 an episode. I've not bought any movies or TV shows through there before, but maybe I'll consider it for these. Then again, maybe I could wait for the DVD's and get any extras they might put on there.

TeeEye7
04-21-2007, 01:51 AM

Understood. I said "if". :)

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I just noticed that the episodes are available via iTunes for $1.99 an episode. I've not bought any movies or TV shows through there before, but maybe I'll consider it for these. Then again, maybe I could wait for the DVD's and get any extras they might put on there.Please let us know if you do buy an ep how it looks via iTunes, I'm curious if it'll translate that way.

Tycho
04-21-2007, 05:36 PM
You can watch this iTunes stuff on your computer monitor or on your TV through some kind of video connection right? We're not talking about something only projected on a 2" portable iPod screen, right?

That would all make sense. But I am behind on technology. BTW: what is an automobile? ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2007, 10:18 PM
You can watch this iTunes stuff on your computer monitor or on your TV through some kind of video connection right? We're not talking about something only projected on a 2" portable iPod screen, right?

That would all make sense. But I am behind on technology. BTW: what is an automobile? ;)
I'm not sure how it works, so I don't know. Based on this article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304277), it looks like you can watch downloaded TV with the Apple TV device or by connecting your computer to the TV. It sounds like you can only use a DVD for backup purposes only. I suppose if that is the case, I won't bother to get it through iTunes. From a quick search, it sounds like there might be some ways to work around it by converting them to an unprotected format first, and then burning them to DVD. That sort of effort is fine for audio, since I am buying single songs. If I want a whole movie or a whole TV season, I think I'd rather just get the DVD.

BountyHunterScum
04-22-2007, 02:34 PM
The supernova from All Our Yesterdays was awe inspiring.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/04/21/all-our-yesterdays-screenshots-and-video/

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Exactly 5 hours to go for me! I'm really loving having weekly Trek to look forward to again.

Tycho
04-23-2007, 05:28 AM
The Conscience of the King:

This was a great episode where Kirk wants to (maybe) kill the former Governor of Tarsus 4, who executed many of his constituents because the colony ran out of food and supplies (likely when Kirk was about 10). Lt. Riley, who must have been only 2-3 then, lost his parents when Governor Kodos ordered them killed with those that wouldn't survive.

Meanwhile, during all this, Kirk falls for Leonore, Kodo's 19 year old daughter (Kirk is approximately 29-30 years old at this time) while Riley attempts to avenge his family. Spock and McCoy figure it out and temper Jim a little bit. The ending is very Shakespearean. A great episode.

BountyHunterScum
04-23-2007, 09:18 AM
For my ABC station they show Star Trek on saturday after midnight technically sunday morning and sunday after midnight technically monday morning. Saturday is a week ahead of the sunday one.

JediTricks
04-23-2007, 10:32 PM
So your Saturday ep is the "current" ep and the Sunday one is the rerun from the previous week. My local Fox station does something similar with Stargate SG1.

Last night's remastered All Our Yesterdays wasn't the most spectacular since there are only a couple new shots, but the opening shot was nice and the end shot with the nova was astounding, that poor little planet getting vaporized almost unnoticed. My only frustration was that the Enterprise warps into the planet at the beginning and then they cut to the Enterprise in orbit, I would have preferred to see the ship actually enter orbit, but it probably would have changed the pacing. The actual plot is alright, Spock finally getting up in McCoy's grill was great, and the emotional shift wasn't too extreme so it felt organic. The story is a little thin, I got the feeling the original script was more detailed but didn't fit the show's format (apparently, a number of eps have this).

Droid
04-29-2007, 01:21 PM
I watched "A Piece of the Action" last night and it really showed me how in the Original Series they rarely let anyone other than Kirk, Spock, or McCoy do anything. The mobster tells Scotty they are holding Kirk (which was hilarious), and in response Scotty does ... nothing. I know the episode was played for humor, but they sure didn't do much to respond to the danger Kirk was in.

The fizbin scene still cracks me up.

Tycho
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I've been rewatching all TOS on my Columbia House tapes. 3 episodes come to mind at the moment. (I'm just finishing with season 1)

The Alternative Factor. This is one TOS episode I really feel testing my patience. Was Lazarus (one of them?) from the Mirror Universe? Later when Kira encountered the Intendant, the universe didn't explode. If Lazarus was from a different Mirror Universe, has there been even non-sci-fi Trek attempts to explain this? How many parallel universes are there and why is one catostrophic to connect with and another not? Could it tie into "All Good Things" when time travel was involved in the series of events? I don't know. The whole thing could have been a great into foreshaddowing the events to come in Mirror-Mirror (in which the crew did not meet their exact counterparts - they were exchanged with them). Anyway, the episode had more potential and it was never realized.

Space Seed - brilliant. I wished it was a 2 hour or something. Khan should have been in TOS longer. They had so many places they could go with that. It was such a natural idea to make STII: WOK! I love it. A guest star episode on Seti Alpha 5 would have been awesome, too. Ricardo Montalbahn was just awesome as Khan. I never watched him on Fantasy Island (before my time really - well not that this stopped me from getting into TOS, but...) Anyway, I often like stuff everyone else isn't as quick to recognize and sort of turn away from the most obvious pop-culture hits (like hailing the Battle of Hoth as the epitome of the best of Star Wars - though that is now growing on my again - probably because conversation has shifted away from it whereas it used to be "the song overplayed on the radio.") But in the case of "Space Seed," I don't care if everyone else loves it too. IT IS AWESOME! Kirk vs. Khan! I love their war of words as well - you don't get as much dialogue and philosophical exchange between them in WOK because it is all about vengeance between the two of them by that time (and they had the effects budget to show off what they could do in an action film). But together, "Space Seed" and WOK make an awesome duology!

(I use the word "awesome" with having obtained the license from Michael Bay who holds an abridged license of the term F-N Awesome, as originated by Rick McCallum).

Mad Slanted Powers
05-07-2007, 07:22 PM
The Lazarus episode is not one I've seen as often as some others. It confused me because I lost track of which Lazarus was which.

As for the Archons, you can mess with people by quoting stuff from that. You can be creepily nice by saying "Peace and joy friend" to everyone. You can tell people "you are not of the body!"

When I saw Star Trek II, I don't think I had seen Space Seed at that point. Good episode though, and a great movie.

JediTricks
05-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Last weekend was "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" which has some interesting ideas but some really awful stuff too, like beaming the 20th century guys into themselves after going back in time. I was also really disappointed with the remastered effects when there were long shots of the Enterprise in the atmosphere, and everything dealing with the sun felt badly out of place. There were a few shots that did work for me, mostly closer shots behind the Enterprise in space, but generally this remaster needs a do-over.

"The Alternative Factor", I don't even remember it, but it's considered among the worst, and it's not the same alternate universe from Mirror Mirror. This ep ruined John Barrymore's career because he was cast in the lead guest role and didn't show up the day of shooting, they had to scramble to find another actor to play it and they filed a grievance with SAG which suspended Barrymore 6 months and afterwards nobody wanted to hire him.

You're totally right about Space Seed, that sucker should definitely have been a 2-parter, it feels like it does all this setup and just has to "stop" halfway through, like when you're playing an awesome game at Recess and the teacher comes out right when it's getting good to tell you to wrap it up.

Tycho
05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
I just watched Doomsday Machine. That episode rocks!

I mean I know when I'm really being entertained. I think this has been one of the pinnacle episodes for me during this time around viewing (I'm obviously on Season 2 of TOS right now).

JediTricks
06-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I just watched Doomsday Machine. That episode rocks!

I mean I know when I'm really being entertained. I think this has been one of the pinnacle episodes for me during this time around viewing (I'm obviously on Season 2 of TOS right now).
Original or remastered?

Tycho
06-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Original or remastered?

Original. I have almost ALL my Trek on Columbia House VHS. I don't watch it enough to justify buying the DVDs of any show for $100 a season ($700 for most shows) and while the Remastered is tempting for TOS, the point's moot right at the moment.

Obviously I have Enterprise and the last 2 seasons of Voyager on DVD.

I can really enjoy my VHS collection and then have my Star Trek fix. In addition, I'll be able to vacation and stay at some nice resorts and take friends along with me versus just staying in and having a new DVD collection. It all comes down to choices.

BountyHunterScum
06-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Miri was on last night.

Tycho
06-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I just watched The Ultimate Computer.

The Enterprise took on the Excaliber (destroyed), the Lexington (Commodore Wesley's command ship), the Ptempkin, and the Hood. Incidentally, several ships who's names were resurrected for The Next Generation.

Dr. Richard Daystrum invented a super-computer artificial intelligence (think 2001's "HAL") that commanded the Enterprise in what should have just been light battle drills to test the abilities of the M-5 super-computer.

Things didn't go as planned at all and Spock and Scotty had to regain control of the ship the hard way while Kirk handled Daystrum having a major mental breakdown.

It was a great episode and one I've always liked. And yes, that is Dr. Daystrum of the oft referred to Daystrum Institute. (Hehe. He was definitely institutionalized after this episode.)

BountyHunterScum
06-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I just watched The Ultimate Computer.

The Enterprise took on the Excaliber (destroyed), the Lexington (Commodore Wesley's command ship), the Ptempkin, and the Hood. Incidentally, several ships who's names were resurrected for The Next Generation.

Dr. Richard Daystrum invented a super-computer artificial intelligence (think 2001's "HAL") that commanded the Enterprise in what should have just been light battle drills to test the abilities of the M-5 super-computer.

Things didn't go as planned at all and Spock and Scotty had to regain control of the ship the hard way while Kirk handled Daystrum having a major mental breakdown.

It was a great episode and one I've always liked. And yes, that is Dr. Daystrum of the oft referred to Daystrum Institute. (Hehe. He was definitely institutionalized after this episode.)

They are remastering The Ultimate Computer, should be very cool.

JediTricks
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Miri was on last night.
Apparently, this wasn't its initial Remastered run, it originally was aired on Sept 16th which was the first remastered airing, Paramount pushed it out the door at the same time as Balance of Terror so some areas showed both on the same day and others ignored it altogether until now. This was the first time I saw this remastered version though.

Miri is a tough episode to watch, it has some good ideas but so much slop as well - how did this identical Earth planet come to be, why don't Kirk and Spock just use the security officers' phasers and communicators when the kids steal theirs, would Kirk really sacrifice everything just to keep Yeoman Rand alive?

BountyHunterScum
06-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Who knows, I'm itching to see the Klingon and Romulan ships coming. The Ultimate Computer will be realistic this time.

Tycho
06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I recently watched "The Enterprise Incident." That looked great before they do anything with it. I'm sure it can only get better. A really good episode.

I just watched The Mark of Gideon. The best way I can think of changing this a little is that with so little space on the planet Gideon, the recreation of the Enterprise that Kirk and Odanna are stuck in should be shown to be a holodeck (non-Federation holodeck). Beyond the shots of the Enterprise orbitting the planet, there's not much to do there. But it is a really good story dealing with population control and the Catholic / Pro-Life point of view regarding birth control, etc.

JediTricks
09-16-2007, 03:44 PM
With the new TV season comes a new channel lineup for the syndicated TOS Remastered episodes. Here in LA, with zero notice, they moved it from channel 4 to 5, from 12:05am to 11pm, and from Sunday to Saturday. So, I missed Galileo 7 last night, but ch 5 is rerunning 'em in a week so next Sunday-to-Monday at 4am, I'll be able to see it. Friggin' frustrating the way they did this though!

Here's the new station lineup nationally: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/2306513.html

Lord Malakite
09-17-2007, 02:26 AM
And on a related note, you can buy the first season of "Star Trek Remastered" in a 10 disc HD DVD/DVD set on November 20, 2007, but only if you are rich and/or crazy. It'll set you back $217.99.:whip:

BountyHunterScum
09-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Saw Galileo 7, good stuff.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 04:24 AM
And on a related note, you can buy the first season of "Star Trek Remastered" in a 10 disc HD DVD/DVD set on November 20, 2007, but only if you are rich and/or crazy. It'll set you back $217.99.:whip:
Holy moly! That's the kind of ridiculousness they usually reserve for cellphones covered in rubies. :greedy: Amazon says the MSRP is $198, and their preorder price is $129, why, that's only double reasonable!

It annoys me to no end that they're releasing season 1 remastered when A) they haven't even aired all of season 1 remastered yet; and B) the earliest remastered effects aren't half as good as the later ones.

pbarnard
09-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Holy moly! That's the kind of ridiculousness they usually reserve for cellphones covered in rubies. :greedy: Amazon says the MSRP is $198, and their preorder price is $129, why, that's only double reasonable!

Well why are all the Star Trek seasons priced twice what all other series are when they come out? Why should this be any different.

Tycho
09-18-2007, 09:08 PM
I know...I know....

I think it's because Paramount knows Trek fans are loyal and hooked. They will pay to have the product.

I've never seen an episode of Gray's Anatomy and don't have any inclination to.

A while back I enjoyed The A-Team on TV and liked it enough to buy their DVD sets. They were reasonably priced at around $40.

Smallville is about $50 a set and I can buy them, pause them, and stare at Kristin Kruek all I want. Thus that's worth it to me. But I'm in the minority there.

As niche as Star Trek is, there are MORE loyal fans who will scoop up the program than those who might own Smallville on DVD.

So they bilk us for it because they know they'll sell them.

Lord Malakite
09-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Amazon says the MSRP is $198, and their preorder price is $129, why, that's only double reasonable!
I got the $217.99 price tag from from the same Star Trek site you got your station lineup information. You choose which is right. :D

It annoys me to no end that they're releasing season 1 remastered when A) they haven't even aired all of season 1 remastered yet; and B) the earliest remastered effects aren't half as good as the later ones.
I could be wrong, but by the way the article reads I think Season 1 of the "Star Trek Remasters" does not equal Season 1 of "Star Trek: The Original Series" in remastered/unsyndicated form. The set sounds more like it'll be remastered/unsyndicated versions of every Season 1, 2, and 3 episode that was shown on TV between 2006 and 2007 (prior to the Galileo 7 episode), which is more or less considered "Star Trek Remasters"' first season.

JediTricks
09-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I got the $217.99 price tag from from the same Star Trek site you got your station lineup information. You choose which is right. :DBoth are "wrong" in my eyes! :p

I could be wrong, but by the way the article reads I think Season 1 of the "Star Trek Remasters" does not equal Season 1 of "Star Trek: The Original Series" in remastered/unsyndicated form. The set sounds more like it'll be remastered/unsyndicated versions of every Season 1, 2, and 3 episode that was shown on TV between 2006 and 2007 (prior to the Galileo 7 episode), which is more or less considered "Star Trek Remasters"' first season.They're being very evasive about it on the official Trek site, and I noticed that the episodes mentioned in the article are all ones from season 1 but also have already been remastered.

BTW, in my research I found that about half of the series has already been remastered, I had no idea!

Lord Malakite
09-20-2007, 01:29 AM
BTW, in my research I found that about half of the series has already been remastered, I had no idea!
I have both the 2006-07 schedule and the 2007-08 schedule saved to my PC and it just happens that I went through both lists counting only the bolded titles (remastered episodes' 1st runs) the other day. If I didn't miscount I do believe I counted 79 episodes total.

Jayspawn
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I have all the Original Series on the 1st double episode DVDs that came out 1st. Consequently, they take up a lot of space but I still love em anyways. I did get Season 1 in the yellow capsul though because I got a good deal.

Anyways, I go through and watch the complete series once a year. I believe "Charlie X" is up nexy. Mmm....Janice.

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I have both the 2006-07 schedule and the 2007-08 schedule saved to my PC and it just happens that I went through both lists counting only the bolded titles (remastered episodes' 1st runs) the other day. If I didn't miscount I do believe I counted 79 episodes total.I went a different route, over on Memory Alpha there's an article with the remastered airdates, it can be displayed by date and visually it's clear how many have and haven't been done (in rough terms): http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/TOS#Episodes

Anyways, I go through and watch the complete series once a year. I believe "Charlie X" is up nexy. Mmm....Janice.AHAHAHAHA!!! I just realized, Charlie is Anakin and Yeoman Rand is Padme! :D

AmanaMatt
09-24-2007, 12:47 AM
I love the original TOS series - I watched them every day on Channel 13 when I was a kid living in Los Angeles - a few years after I was hooked on them, TNG was announced.

I remember reading the LA Time articles talking about all the new Trek characters and remember hearing the names: 'Picard, Riker, Data' and thinking they sure didn't sound like 'Kirk, Spock, Mccoy'! (I ended up loving the TNG as well, but I don't miss those now like I do the original show).

I have yet to see a single ep of these remastered ones, but I sure intend to one of these days.

For those that love the TOS as I do, you may want to read Robert H Justman's 'Inside Star Trek' book - a fantastic read. A real 'anal' type of Sci fi book. One example: it talks about the Lucille Ball connection, etc (hint: think Desilu studios). It also has arial shots of the studio at the time - it talks about Matt Jefferies and his HUGE contribution to Trek as is the case with the very talented Gene L Coon (the true creator of Klingons!).

Here is a ebay link (just to show you what this looks like - this is NOT my listing or anything)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Inside-Star-Trek-by-Robert-H-Justman-1996_W0QQitemZ260136156252QQcmdZViewItem

Tycho
09-24-2007, 01:34 AM
AmanaMatt: my story with Trek is very similar to yours. I got into it (TOS first - on Channel 13 from LA as well - or it might have been Channel 5, also from LA).

Anyway, I watched it because of Star Wars. It was before ROTJ came out I believe, and I was hungry for more cool "space stuff."

The first episode I saw was The Cage with Capt. Pike actually. Of course the "spaceship stuff" wasn't impressive, but the aliens' looks caught my eye (the Telosians) and the story was awesome - as was Christopher Pike.

I distinctly remember that, because I noted the time and channel so I could watch "this Star Trek program" again the next day, and instead of Pike, they had this Captain Kirk guy. I actually didn't like him as much as Pike to start out with - though to this day, Jim Kirk has become and remained my favorite Starfleet captain (but Pike probably would have been...)

Anyway, I was hooked and had already seen about all of the episodes and had the Mego Star Trek figures by the time TNG started. I loved TNG, too - but to me, nothing has stood up to DS9! (though its first 2 seasons are somewhat more difficult to get through - but the payoff will be there!)

Lord Malakite
09-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Anyway, I watched it because of Star Wars. It was before ROTJ came out I believe, and I was hungry for more cool "space stuff."

The first episode I saw was The Cage with Capt. Pike actually. Of course the "spaceship stuff" wasn't impressive, but the aliens' looks caught my eye (the Telosians) and the story was awesome - as was Christopher Pike.
You must of saw Menagerie Part I or Part II if it was around the time of ROTJ Tycho. I don't think The Cage officially aired on TV until sometime around 1988.

Tycho
09-24-2007, 09:05 AM
It's possible. But I rememberd Capt. Pike and not Capt. Kirk from the experience.

AmanaMatt
09-24-2007, 10:57 AM
It's possible. But I rememberd Capt. Pike and not Capt. Kirk from the experience.

Cool Story, Tycho - you are a true original, original fan! I did become a Star Wars fans as a kid, but I became a huge Trekkie (not Trekker) when I was a teen - good stuff!

JediTricks
09-24-2007, 09:21 PM
The Cage didn't air until October 4th, 1988.

I always thought Pike sucked as a command officer, he makes some really bad choices in that one mission and doesn't inspire any morale from his crew. Honestly, I always found "Number One" in that ep to be the most interesting, she's the one who makes the hard choices right.

This weekend I caught Conscience of the King and Galileo Seven remastered eps (I had missed the latter but ch 5 reairs them 8 days later thankfully). "King" is a good Kirk episode but feels like it needed 1 more act to really flesh out the story - Kodos gives up the goods a little too easily. Galileo Seven is a good episode held back by the stripped-down budget, it still shows on the planet unfortunately but the remastering of the rest of the episode really brings some heat and kicks the benchmark for these effects up a notch.

Tycho
09-25-2007, 12:14 AM
In Gallileo did they change the aliens or leave them as they were?

JediTricks
09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Left them.

Supposedly, the faces designed for them are so gruesome that the producers decided not to allow them to be shown on-air.

AmanaMatt
09-26-2007, 06:34 PM
They aren't going to make the Klingons more modern looking are they?

Tycho
09-26-2007, 07:19 PM
They aren't going to make the Klingons more modern looking are they?

Definitely not. "Enterprise" answered that question, suggesting that Klingon Warriors who volunteered to have their genetics re-written to make them "augments" (think like Khan-style super-soldiers) morphed into pseudo humans - which also explained how Kirk identified them as enemy combatants with such prejudice.

Furthermore, the performances of Michael Ansara, William Campbell, and John Collicos do not need meddling with. They are classics indeed.

JediTricks
09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
No changing of the Klingons or any alien race so far that wasn't f/x-based to begin with. I think with the Gorn, all they changed was that his eyes now blink, and they didn't change the Horta at all which I think is actually a mistake - they should have enhanced its skin and hidden the bottom so you didn't see peoples' legs shuffling underneath - the remastered version is VERY clear with the Horta which is not a positive.

BountyHunterScum
09-27-2007, 08:22 PM
The plain foreheaded Klingon deal should have been left alone, I don't appreciate Paramount d*cking with everything. In my mind I've pretty much expunged Enterprise out of all continuity. The only think about enterprise I like now is the ship only. F-ck everything else.

El Chuxter
05-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Any idea if the original, untampered-with, series will be re-released on DVD now that the movie is doing so well, or is it just the crappy 1997 "Greedo was always supposed to shoot first" Special Editions "remastered" versions from here on?

I'd actually be interested in getting the show as it originally appeared but, like I said before, the camp factor is a big part of its appeal to me.

Beast
05-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Any idea if the original, untampered-with, series will be re-released on DVD now that the movie is doing so well, or is it just the crappy 1997 "Greedo was always supposed to shoot first" Special Editions "remastered" versions from here on?

I'd actually be interested in getting the show as it originally appeared but, like I said before, the camp factor is a big part of its appeal to me.
The Blu-Ray has both the original and new versions of the episodes.

El Chuxter
05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Okay, let me rephrase my question to include regular DVDs for those of us without BluRay or plans to upgrade. :)

Beast
05-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Okay, let me rephrase my question to include regular DVDs for those of us without BluRay or plans to upgrade. :)
Probably not. You may be able to find the old 'Tricorder Boxes' releases.

El Chuxter
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll skip 'em and Paramount loses their money, because I'm not taking out another mortgage to get those. :D

Beast
05-13-2009, 07:59 PM
I think they got a price reduction when the new Remastered Versions were release.

Or just wait and get yourself a PS3 and the new Blu-Ray versions.

El Chuxter
05-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Nah, I don't need them that badly. There's nothing on PS3 I want, and only one Blu-Ray title (Batman: The Movie) was even remotely tempting.

Beast
05-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Nah, I don't need them that badly. There's nothing on PS3 I want, and only one Blu-Ray title (Batman: The Movie) was even remotely tempting.
I picked that one up.

I had the DVD, but I was shocked at how amazing the BLU looks.

Tycho
05-13-2009, 08:35 PM
What is the BLU? You might mean BlueRay but BLU could be an acronym. Boston Ladies' University?

Beast
05-13-2009, 09:12 PM
What is the BLU? You might mean BlueRay but BLU could be an acronym. Boston Ladies' University?
BLU as in Blu-Ray. There's no E.

JediTricks
05-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Surprised to hear hating on the TOS Remastered, I've been extremely happy with those new effects, and the prints come alive with restoration in a way I had never experienced before - clarity and color are both unbelievably better on the Remastered episodes.

How much are the Bluray TOS sets going for?

Beast
05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
It's on sale this week at Best Buy for $69.99. I think Wal-Mart has it for that also.

El Chuxter
05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm not hating on it. I just don't want to pay money for it unless it has the version I grew up with, cheesy models on wires and all.

I can watch the remastered ones for free on YouTube anytime, so why pay for 'em?

Tycho
05-14-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm actually interested in the remastered because I see something new.

I have all TOS on VHS (I did the Columbia House thing for 4 / 5 Star Trek series). Since I don't watch any particular season or episode THAT much, I've never bought them on DVD. If I decide to get TOS, remastered and even remastered on BluRay might be what I'll go for.

But it's hard to justify it. I still haven't completed my A-Team or Miami Vice collections on DVD - I've never watched what I have a 2nd time (though I might real soon here). So I figure I should get A-Team Season 5 and Miami 3-5 which I don't have before I even need to upgrade TOS from VHS. Money does not grow on trees and anything we're discussing here would be a creditcard purchase for me. Let's make sure I'll enjoy (and even USE) what I buy first.

Heck, I want a $160 John Connor figure from Hot Toys but won't pull the trigger unless the thing is offered for about $60 which is all I think a 12" figure could be worth.

JediTricks
05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm not hating on it. I just don't want to pay money for it unless it has the version I grew up with, cheesy models on wires and all.

I can watch the remastered ones for free on YouTube anytime, so why pay for 'em?Because the Remastered versions are HD, and watching them on Youtube means you are missing out on all the visual quality they have to offer. That's the point of the remasterings, make them hold up to the test of time now that HD TV is coming in. The original effects never looked great, but they will look a lot worse in 1080p. Even on my standard-def TV though, the remastered look great, not just effects, everything.

$70 for 1 season is still a little rich for my blood. If I had more available funds though, I'd go for it.