PDA

View Full Version : what are the best sitcoms ever?

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Now that Friends is ending, there is a lot of hooplah about this final season that reminds me of the ending of Cheers (which is odd since the Cheers spinoff, Fraiser, is also ending this year and has zero hooplah). So I got to wondering, what are the best sitcoms ever, and by what criteria do we judge this?

The first one that keeps coming up in my mind is "Married... with Children". After the first season, this show became comfortable with taking the elements of everday life and exaggerating them for comedic effect while staying within its own universe. MwC changed the face of TV by being brash and honest and silly and never trying to be more than funny. The series also had the first openly-gay cast member - long before Ellen DeGeneres publicly came out of the closet - and its ratings were completely uneffected by the news even though the network feared it's seemingly all-male audience would be somehow intolerant of this. The network generally didn't think highly of its male audience but that was an advantage because the series could get away with more without drawing the ire of upset sponsors, and Fox never seemed to realize that MwC had a large female viewing audience either so the producers and writers could get more into the shows without worrying about Fox tampering with the series trying to target this other market. The show was often panned by critics, but lasted 10 years and still was its own brand of humor right until Fox pulled the plug.

Beast
02-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Married with Children was indeed a great show.

But one of my favorites is still All in the Family. The show was controversial for it's time, clearly. Dealing with racism, as well as all the other topics the show faced and dealt with over the years. All you have to do is look at episodes like the one where Gloria was assualted. Or the rapist that tries to have his way with Edith on her birthday to see how willing the writers were to push the envelop to deliver a message with each episode. And yeah, it did loose some magic when Meathead and Gloria moved out. Even more so when they left the series entirely. But I still like the later episodes when they started taking care of Stepheny. They weren't as good as earlier episodes, but the one where Archie accepts her Jewish faith and gives her a Star of David necklace still is touching as hell. Without Archie, I doubt we'd have Al Bundy, Peter Griffith, or other characters that push the envelope. Hell, Seth McFarlane notes Archie Bunker on his DVD commentaries as one of the aspects that Peter was based on. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Seinfeld. Easily the best TV show ever. Brilliant on so many levels. :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2004, 10:40 PM
You guys disappoint me. Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place? Dharma and Greg? Reba? Home Improvement?

I would have to say Married With Children, too. I say that, though, as I hardly watch sitcoms on television. I catch my Drew C. and George Lopez (yeah, I like George Lopez, so what? wanna fight 'bout it?) sitcoms when I can, but Al and the gang are tops for me.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 11:02 PM
You guys disappoint me. Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place? Dharma and Greg? Reba? Home Improvement?

Damn, you're right!!! I nearly forgot: full house, family matters, hanging w/ Mr. Cooper & The Soul Man!! (hits forehead) how clumsy of me!! :D

Turbowars
02-02-2004, 11:21 PM
King of Queens is pretty funny. The wife is a total M.I.L.F.

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 11:27 PM
You guys disappoint me. Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place? Dharma and Greg? Reba? Home Improvement?Ooookay... *backing away slowly while nodding reassuringly*

I also watch George Lopez, I didn't really stick with it until last season but it's pretty funny. Only time will tell if it ends up deserving to go on this list.

JJB, are you putting All in the Family on the list because it's genuinely funny based on its situation or like the second half of M*A*S*H where it's teaching important life lessons?

Without Archie, I doubt we'd have Al Bundy, Peter Griffith, or other characters that push the envelope. That's true of Al Bundy for another reason, without All in the Family, they never would have spun off The Jeffersons, and if The Jeffersons had never taken off, 2 of its producers Ron Leavitt and Michael Moye would not have had enough clout to start Married with Children. (of course, they wouldn't have been able to develop Silver Spoons either, but you can't win 'em all.)

Turbo, er...
1) both Leah Remini and the character she plays on King of Queens are not mothers.
2) Leah Remini is only 33.
3) Should I even be allowing that comment on here?
4) Yeah, she's quite hot, I wish her last show "All Fired Up" had survived, it was pretty good.
5) So is that your choice for "best sitcom ever"?

DarthBrandon
02-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Some that come to mind are:

(No particular order)

1. Three's Company
2. Married With Children
3. Seinfeld
4. Will & Grace
5. Friends
6. The In-Laws
7. Welcome Back Kotter (sp)
8. Bosom Buddies
9. South Park
10. That 70's Show
11. I Love Lucy
12. The Andy Griffith Show
13. Cheers
14. Happy days
15. The Cosby Show
16. Family Ties
17. The Honeymooners
18. The Golden Girls
19. Hogan's Hero's
20. Mork & Mindy

There's a ton more like the Lopez show, Drew Carey, Mad, SNL, Whoppie's new show etc, etc.

Edit: Forgot to put my choice for favorite sitcom

Modern: Married With Children
Old: Three's Company

Beast
02-02-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm going to go with, both. Since it manages to entertain and educate at the same time. Without coming off as being overly preachy about stuff. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Turbo, er...
1) both Leah Remini and the character she plays on King of Queens are not mothers.She's working on it.
2) Leah Remini is only 33. So!
3) Should I even be allowing that comment on here? What Comment? LOL. You commented.:D
4) Yeah, she's quite hot, I wish her last show "All Fired Up" had survived, it was pretty good. Never heard of it.
5) So is that your choice for "best sitcom ever"? No, can I vote for South Park? In Living Color kicked *** too, but I will go with SP. Yeah South Park is my vote.

stillakid
02-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Barney Miller, hands down.

Turbowars
02-03-2004, 01:05 AM
OH boy, now you guys are really starting to date yourselves.

Pendo
02-03-2004, 06:57 AM
What's with the lack of British sit-coms on everyone's lists? As much as I enjoy American sit-coms, I believe British ones are the greatest!

Here's my faves:

Red Dwarf
Blackadder
Father Ted
Fawlty Towers
The Brittas Empire

:)

PENDO!

Beast
02-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Thank insomnia, I couldn't sleep at all last night. So ended flipping stations late last night. And ran across one of my other favorite old sitcoms. Mama's Family. God, I used to love that show. I wish they'd release that on DVD. I'd buy every season. Gotta love ole Mama Harper. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
02-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Surprised that no one's mentioned them, I throw out Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy.

Short-lived though they were, Working, Wanda Sykes, Greg the Bunny, and Get a Life need some recognition, too.

evenflow
02-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Without a doubt I have to say Married with Children.

Kidhuman
02-03-2004, 03:38 PM
No particular order......

Married with Children
Wings
That 70's show
Family Guy
Simpsons
Seinfeld
King of Queens
M*A*S*H
Barney Miller
3's Company
Futurama
Scrubs
Friends
Malcom in the Middle

Can Simpsons, Family GUy,and Futurama be considered sitcoms because they are animated? It dont matter to me as you can see they are on my list. Just wondering though

stillakid
02-03-2004, 10:00 PM
OH boy, now you guys are really starting to date yourselves.

New does not necessarily mean better. (cough...prequels...cough cough)

:D

Turbowars
02-03-2004, 10:16 PM
New does not necessarily mean better. (cough...prequels...cough cough)

:DLOL, nether does old.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-03-2004, 11:18 PM
My vote goes for Everybody Loves Raymond. I have never consistently tuned into a sitcom until this show premiered in the late 90's and I look forward to watching it every Monday night.

What I like about this show, compared to other classics Friends and Seinfeld (which I never really viewed :sur: ) is that it is:

a) Identifiable. It's a sitcom about a low-grade dysfunctional family, and it's star Ray Romano, embodies the reality of many fathers nowaday. He tries hard to help out with the family and house, and his heart is good, but inevitably his efforts usually fall apart at the end, or he just slinks out to play golf, watch T.V. or play Playstation. His wife Debra, (Patricia Hutton) is constantly feuding with Ray's overbearing parents who live across the street from him. I can't speak for all of us, but I recognize my dad in both Peter Boyle's character and Ray as well as much of my mom with Doris Robert's part.

b) It's not far-fetched. Friends and Seinfeld seemed to me to be too surrealistic at times, where anything remotely plausible would happen, and often did. Not what I like to see in a sitcom.

c) A well-rounded cast. Ray, Patrica Hutton, Doris, and Brad Garrett have all won Emmys on the series for their acting. Peter Boyle is overdue for one.

Other classic/modern favorites include Sanford & Son (Hey, ya dummy!), Mama's Family, as JJB mentioned, and Boy Meets World.

Exhaust Port
02-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Here are a few that come to mind:

1. Cheers
2. Seinfeld
3. Fawlty Towers
4. King of Queens
5. Honeymooners

I didn't include The Simpsons since it's an animated series and I would put that in a different catagory.

jjreason
02-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Sports Night, Three's Company, Cheers, Night Court, Diffrent Strokes, Simpsons, Three Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place, MASH, Scrubs......

Seinfeld. Hands down.

arctangent
02-04-2004, 06:21 AM
What's with the lack of British sit-coms on everyone's lists? As much as I enjoy American sit-coms, I believe British ones are the greatest!

Here's my faves:

Red Dwarf
Blackadder
Father Ted
Fawlty Towers
The Brittas Empire

:)

PENDO!

thanks for that vote of confidence in british comedy, pendo. they are all classics. trouble is us brits have a very strange sense of humour and not everyone else always gets it. to your list i would also add 'monty python's flying circus', 'only fools and horses' and 'the young ones'

anyway, if you like great british comedy may i recommend 'the office', which has just won two awards in america. it is very, very funny. watch it before it gets remade and spoilt.

Pendo
02-04-2004, 10:34 AM
thanks for that vote of confidence in british comedy, pendo. they are all classics. trouble is us brits have a very strange sense of humour and not everyone else always gets it. to your list i would also add 'monty python's flying circus', 'only fools and horses' and 'the young ones'

anyway, if you like great british comedy may i recommend 'the office', which has just won two awards in america. it is very, very funny. watch it before it gets remade and spoilt.
I'm not really a fan of Monty Python, but you're right, Only Fools and Horses, The Young Ones, and The Office should also have been on my list. I'd also like to add Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights :D.

I really hope America's attempts the reproduce The Office is more successful than their attempts at Red Dwarf.

PENDO!

Beast
02-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Just remember you two, that there have been some massively successful American remakes of British Sitcoms. "All in the Family" was an adaption of the hit 60's BBC comedy "Till Death Us Do Part" for example. But I agree on the attempt to do a American Red Dwarf. Bloody Awful. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
02-04-2004, 11:01 AM
didn't know that jar jar. i can understand why though - till death us do part was full over very english jokes and references which would have left most americans scratching their heads in puzzlement (west ham united, anyone).

wasn't there was also an american remake of fawlty towers?

something like red dwarf though, i can't understand why it was remade - its fairly universal humour. i believe the office is also going to be remade for the american market after ricky gervais won the two golden globes but i would say watch the original, if you can.

arctangent
02-04-2004, 11:10 AM
just realised i forgot one of my favourites which i think should be added to the list of great british comedies - the league of gentlemen. this is a local thread for local people!

kool-aid killer
02-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Coupling was a British product i believe, it didnt last too long despite its hype. I cant say i really have a favorite sitcom. Im usually at work when the newer ones are on so i miss out on them. But if i had to make a list of my favorites it would go something like this in no particular order,

George Lopez
Spin City
Home Improvment
and Family Matters

Not very many on the list. Ive never gotten into Friends (i think ive only seen about 3 episodes) Scrubs, Seinfield is ok, and most other ones i dont remember. I seen Leah Remini on the Howard Stern show last night. Shes okay looking, but she comes off as having a nasty attitude. And the voice bugs me too.

arctangent
02-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Coupling was a British product i believe, it didnt last too long despite its hype.

damn, i forgot that one too. another very funny programme. i think it made it to three series here. don't know if they will be making another one though. i think it suffered from many in the uk seeing it as a uk version of friends, although it was far better that that.

JediTricks
02-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Turbo, er...
1) both Leah Remini and the character she plays on King of Queens are not mothers.She's working on it. Best of luck to her, or do Scientologists not believe in luck?
2) Leah Remini is only 33. So! So it means that since she's not a mother and she's not older, she doesn't fit the definition.
3) Should I even be allowing that comment on here? What Comment? LOL. You commented.:D If anybody complains or Steve says something, I'm blaming you. :evil:
4) Yeah, she's quite hot, I wish her last show "All Fired Up" had survived, it was pretty good. Never heard of it. I had the title wrong, it was just "Fired Up", it was good, starred her and that actress from NYPD Blue, Sharon Lawrence, as her former boss and now roommate and partner in a new business. It was cute, clever, had smart writing, so of course NBC tampered with it and then cancelled it when their tamperings drove viewers away.
5) So is that your choice for "best sitcom ever"? No, can I vote for South Park? In Living Color kicked *** too, but I will go with SP. ILC was not a sitcom, it was a sketch comedy show, that's a different animal.

JJB, I always found All in the Family unbearably preachy even when I was a little kid, but you can vote for it if you want. I didn't know that the was harvested from a British sitcom just like Three's Company.

Nothing personal Pendo, but there's usually only like 5 episodes a year of any British sitcom, kinda hard to feel attached to it until it's gone on for a while. Plus, as the valet in Ferris Bueller's Day Off said, "what country do you think this is?" ;)

Chux, mad props to adding Wanda (Wanda Sykes' show) and Greg the Bunny to the list, and of course Futurama & Family Guy net 'em too.

KH, animation in a sitcom is merely another situation, so yes, they are sitcoms. That means the Flintstones is a sitcom too since it was made for prime-time TV (which is why it has that stupid laugh-track).

LBC, it's "Patricia Heaton", not "Hutton". Turbo, she's what you'd define that previously-used term as since she fits the bill both as a mother and as mature.

Kool Aid, I think her voice and accent are kinda hot, but I like Fran Drescher too; yet in person, I usually can't stand that accent. What's really weird is both of those actresses can fake having no accent by doing a sultry voice, yowza!

scruffziller
02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Married With Children
Family Matters
Perfect Strangers
The Simpsons
Growing Pains
Fawlty Towers
Different Strokes
Silver Spoons
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
The Cosby Show
A Perfect World

billfremore
02-05-2004, 03:38 PM
I cannot believe that after 4 pages of posts nobody mentioned WKRP.

Now that show was funny.

Kidhuman
02-05-2004, 03:48 PM
I cannot believe that after 4 pages of posts nobody mentioned WKRP.

Now that show was funny.

:eek: you're right on bioth accounts, that show was hilarious, as was Welcome Back Kotter

JediTricks
02-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Scruff, you thinking of "A Different World", the Cosby Show spin-off?

So far, just picking from what's been said here, in no particular order, here's what I would put on my list:

Married with Children
Seinfeld
MASH
The Jeffersons
The Andy Griffith Show
Cheers
Futurama
Family Guy
Simpsons
Cosby Show
WKRP
Newhart *
The Bob Newhart Show *
* - newcomers to the thread

Dunno how I missed "Working" on there, that was another great show that died before its time. Same with "Sports Night" which was almost a drama though, and "Newsradio" if not for the post-Phil-Hartman season sucking so bad, it'd be on my list for sure. "Scrubs" is getting there, if it survives NBC's disasterously stupid timeslot change, it'll make it to my list next year.

Kidhuman
02-06-2004, 02:11 AM
Newsradio was/is awesome. Do they still syndicate that anywhere?

James Boba Fettfield
02-06-2004, 02:39 AM
A&E used to show News Radio, but I don't think they do anymore.

Other than that, it's been many years since I've seen the show in syndication here on the Cincinnati WKRC station.

Yeah, I guess try finding the show in syndication on your local networks, because I don't believe any cable stations air it anymore.

Arrogant Arse
02-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Taxi, that was agreat show! (Whhhhaaat,,,Dooooees,,,a,,yellllllooowww,,liiiigh t,,mean?)

I also think M*A*S*H was great.

JediTricks
02-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh yeah, Taxi is one of the most watchable sitcoms I think. I wonder what percentage of the total number of sitcoms this thread contains? There have been a LOT of non-best sitcoms over the years, I mean, nobody has mentioned "Small Wonder" here for a reason. ;)

Darth Kirk
02-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Well there are the definitive classics, like 'I love Lucy' and 'The Twilight Zone'.. But I really do enjoy, 'The Simpsons', 'The X-Files' (in syndication) and one of them Reality TV shows- the one about them people who have to battle one another over a rat by doing some heinous act, whilst the two from the group express their love and devotion for one another- Oh yea its called – ‘The Real World Survivor Newlywed Challenge’. . :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

The 'Xir
02-10-2004, 02:45 AM
Two of my all time favorites are 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' and 'Northern Exposure'!!!

But IMO it is a tie or a very close race for the best by far, the best of all time...have got to be either 'Cheers' and/or 'M*A*S*H'! Taxi is definitely a close second behind these two! With 'Happy Days', 'The Jeffersons' 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' and 'All in the Family' getting Honorable mention!

I know some people will just swear by either Seinfeld or Friends, and maybe I'm just a little bit older and didn't get into these right away, but I just don't think they were as good! I mean for both Cheers and Mash, we made sure we were home every night infront of the tube ready for new episodes of these shows! Seinfeld is funny, hysterical alot of times, but it just didn't grab me like the others did, besides how can a show about nothing have any substance to it? ;) Friends, well I like it, and it's a good show but it just wasn't my thing! Although watching Jennifer Aniston dress up like "Slave Leia" can rocket any show up to the top of the list! :D uhhh scuse me um I'll be right back.. :nerv: :stupid:

good shot jansen
02-26-2004, 09:32 AM
hmmm, i rarely check out this section, which explains my lateness in showing up here.

my top 10 sit coms of all time

all in the family
the odd couple
fawlty towers
cheers
taxi
dick van dyke
i love lucy
the bob newhart show (the old one from the 70's)
seinfeld
the honeymooners

the satirical issues explored on all in the family, make that show (imho), the far away best sit com ever produced. the show contiued to be relevent and quite funny through it's 8 year run. even the final years, when most shows that last that long have long since lost their appeal, aitf, kept it going strong and true to it's original concept ideals.

the odd couple, presented some of the sharpest comedic writings, performed by quite possibly the best match duo ever in television history. Jack klugman and tony randall played off of each other like no one else in sit com history. the comdeic timing of these two was amazing to watch. the 1st two years were pretty lackluster due to the show being scripted and taped in a closed studio. it wasn't until the 3rd year, when they changed the format to be filmed before a studio audience, that that the show really took off, and the talents of mssr. klugman, and randal were fully shown.

when watching monty python, i can at times either take it or leave it. some of the skits were absolutely brilliant, while others left me flat. not so with fawlty towers. everyone of the waaaaay to few episodes is fabulous! john cleese along with the rest of the cast, performed the zany episodes flawlessly

cheers displayed some of the finest comedy scripts of all time. the developement of each cast member over the years grew stronger and stronger. although there are some dud episodes along the 11 year run of the show, as a whole, i was rarely disapointed for the entire run

i usually lump cheers and taxi together, as they were both created by the same team. the characters and stories were well thought out. reverend jim could possibly be my favorite television character of all time

dick van dyke set the tone, and raised the bar for how sit coms should be produced. possibly the funniest ensemble ever put together for a show.

i put i love lucy on my list, cause quite frankly, how could you ever have a list of top 10 sit coms and not include the ricardo's and mertz's?

i know alot of folks don't particularly like this show, but i absolutely love bob newhart's dead pan delivery. added bonus, any show with jack reily as bob's most notable patient mr. carlin is a classic.

seinfeld, there's really nothing i can say about seinfeld, cause as we all know, the show is about......well.....about nothing ;)

why i still love the honeymooners is beyond me. but whenever i stumble upon it, i am glued to the set like nobodies business. baby, you're the greatest!

honorable mentions:

the young ones
yes prime minister
the drew carey show
mary tyler moore
and a show which even though was not a sit com, it made me laugh every time - max headroom

Lord Malakite
02-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Mr. Belvadere, All in the Family, Married with Children, Drew Carry, Three's Company, The Honey Mooners, Cheers, Night Court, News Radio, Growing Pains, and Family Ties are some of my favorites.

Kidhuman
02-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Mr. Belvadere, All in the Family, Married with Children, Drew Carry, Three's Company, The Honey Mooners, Cheers, Night Court, News Radio, Growing Pains, and Family Ties are some of my favorites.

Sounds like your a Nick at Nite fan. :D