PDA

View Full Version : Some info on KB Toys *Read if yours is closing*

rust
02-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, I was at my KB a couple minutes ago (Which is closing) and I asked the clerk a couple of questions. The first one was when are you closing (For me Apr. 1). The Second was about the price drop. The clerk heard a rumor (Or maybe fact, I wasnt sure) that the price drop will go down to 80% off. That means $6 for a TIE. Third: Will you recieve new shipments of Star Wars toys? The answer was yes, every Thursday until it closes.
Hopefully SirSteve puts this in the news, I'm gonna see If I can report this to Rebelscum,
So good day,
-rust

Turbowars
02-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Dude don't post this kind of info.
Now there wont be anything left!;)

Kidhuman
02-03-2004, 12:33 AM
I know the one near me is closing and right now everything is 20% off. I was hoping to hold out for a few eeks before going there and seeing if the price drops. The guy told me todasy, that they had not gotten any new SW merch in for awhile.

B'Omarr Monkey
02-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Jeez, Rust. Your KB is closing and they're getting new SW stuff every Thurs. until they close? My KB isn't closing and they haven't had a new SW item since the first wave of saga figures. Where's the logic in that?

Reefer Shark
02-03-2004, 01:34 AM
They may be getting stuff in from their distribution centers to liquidate, but I would highly doubt that it's gonna really be new stuff (by new I mean '04 stuff). You'll probably see a ton more of those 4 packs & '02 Saga figures.. :rolleyes:

If we're lucky, mabye some treasures will surface, like ephant mon, or clone pilots for army building....... or we'll all get a chance to get some saga Ties & 12" gammorean gaurds at clearance prices.

DarthQuack
02-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Gotta love liquidation clearance. Gonna check mine out today for some deals.

-Matt

Exhaust Port
02-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Looks like a trip to the local KB is in order. Any idea if the clearance prices will include other stuff in the stores like video games?

DarthQuack
02-03-2004, 01:48 PM
(Originally posted in wrong thread)

Made a nice score this morning at KB, all for 2.99 I picked up

Count Dooku (Dark Lord)
Yoda (Jedi Master)
Clone Trooper
Djas Puhr
Dexter Jettster
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Duel)

I can't wait to go back and pick up another 6 figures for 20 bucks.

-Matt

Kidhuman
02-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Looks like a trip to the local KB is in order. Any idea if the clearance prices will include other stuff in the stores like video games?

According to the conversation I had yesterday with the employee, everything was 20% off. I dont know if thats just the ones that are closing though.

DarthQuack
02-03-2004, 02:06 PM
It's definelty not all of them. I went to two of them today, and one of them had a lot of Saga figures at 2.99 and the newer figures designated to ANH, ESP, and ROTJ were still 6.99. Hope this helps. Oh yea, some TIE Fighters and G. Guards had red stickers on them so maybe those are 20% off?

-Matt

CrossWizard
02-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Any idea if the clearance prices will include other stuff in the stores like video games?

Not sure, but before talk of the KB closings(about 8 days before) I picked up Indy & The Emperor's Tomb and Tenchu 3 for $14.99 and $19.99 respectively, from a regular price of $32.99 each.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-03-2004, 02:58 PM
All the video game stuff is included in the clearance. In fact, they were on clearance before the announcement of the store closures. Seems that only the Game Boy stuff was profitable for them because that's all they'll end up keeping.

I was told by employees from two local stores (UT) that they'll close in 60-90 days and that the exact date hasn't been picked or released yet.

I'm hoping for some 2003 Lego sets to show up like the 2002 ones did last year.

Kidhuman
02-03-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm hoping for some 2003 Lego sets to show up like the 2002 ones did last year.

Check here for info (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=306770&postcount=31) I found it yesterday when I was on their website

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-03-2004, 11:54 PM
I have mixed feelings regarding the spate of closings.

I love going to Kay-Bee toys and have since I was a five-year old looking for Garbage Pail Kids, Hot Wheels, or whatever else I collected. They have been an institution in the toy industry.

Yet, I never understood KB's inane pricing system. It was textbook. New products would be jacked up 10% - 15% more than the competitors and as a result, they would sit on the shelves. Six months later when managers realized that they sold squat of that product, they would mark the toy down and effectively, lose money.

I think the real story is how Wal-Mart, with it's ever moving tentacles, has cornered the toy industry. All the stores in a mall in my hometown, have jumped ship. Their reason, Wal-Mart has out competed them. The same thing went for an Ames and K-Mart in my city. I blame the consumers for this partly as well, as they continue to want goods at the cheapest possible price, no matter if Wal-Mart subverts American workers to do that, or uses their strong artm tactics to get the price that they want to pay.

Kidhuman
02-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Wal-Mart is a one stop shopping center. You can buy some tee shirts, toys, a new Cd and your groceries in one trip. I guess convience was there MO and it has worked. Lower prices help as well.

plasticfetish
02-04-2004, 02:12 AM
First up, (only) one of the 5 or 6 KBs that I have within' a 20 minute drive is closing. It's had the same stuff on sale as all the others since X-mas.

I went to two of them today, and one of them had a lot of Saga figures at 2.99 and the newer figures designated to ANH, ESP, and ROTJ were still 6.99. Hope this helps. Oh yea, some TIE Fighters and G. Guards had red stickers on them so maybe those are 20% off?
The $2.99 for older figures and $6.99 for newer figures has been going for a while. The prices were $1.99 before the holidays. The "red dot" on some store items has to do with select items being 25% off. It's the same at all stores and is seemingly a new and creative way for KB to make sure there's no confusion over what is really on sale. (Remember that law suit?)

I think the real story is how Wal-Mart, with it's ever moving tentacles, has cornered the toy industry. All the stores in a mall in my hometown, have jumped ship. Their reason, Wal-Mart has out competed them. The same thing went for an Ames and K-Mart in my city. I blame the consumers for this partly as well, as they continue to want goods at the cheapest possible price, no matter if Wal-Mart subverts American workers to do that, or uses their strong arm tactics to get the price that they want to pay.
You know, I've given a lot of thought to this sort of thing lately. We here in southern California have a grocery workers strike going on that's being called one of the longest strikes in history. It sucks! I'm very much pro-union, at least in concept, and I'm very sympathetic to their basic desire to be guaranteed a good job with decent pay and adequate benefits. I haven't shopped at any of the stores that have picket lines out front since the strike has started... but what that's really done, is drive me to the nonunion stores that have employees who make less money and pay for their benefits. In fact, my wife works at one of those other stores, and when we hear the union employees complain and argue, we're torn. On the one hand, there's the sympathy for these people and a desire to see ALL workers treated well. On the other hand, you want to say... "Hey, tough ****!"

But we don't.

(Here's the point.) What really bothers me, is when I read where the Grocery Store executives complain that they can't afford to pay the wages and give the benefits that the workers need, because of increasing competition from big stores like Wal-Mart. That Wal-Mart and Target, because they sell grocery items, are cutting into their action. That the only way to compete (my take here) is to seemingly follow their lead, and show a low level of respect and appreciation for employees by sacrificing their pay and benefits in the name of profit.

So I think... Hey! You can't be complaining that these big stores are ruining your business, when it was in fact you who killed off the "small town grocer." How'd you do that anyway? You offered a service that was more valuable, convenient and ultimately more clever than the one that you beat out. If you want to compete against Wal-Mart, it's time to rethink and redesign your business. (This applies to KB now.) Offer something unique that the big convenience stores don't offer, and do it so well that people will really WANT to shop at your store.

About KB...
KB is lazy. KB is ugly. KB is way too crowded during the holidays because the stores are too small. KB has prices that are constantly higher than everyone else's. KB has a weak selection of items and way too much of their shelf space is cluttered with merchandise that should be long cleared away. KB plays that annoying music. KB is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. KB is basically a boring place to visit, so it's no wonder that people would rather choose "convenience." So yeah, maybe Wal-Mart wins by taking the low road, by undercutting prices and underpaying employees, but most of these places that they're "beating" aren't doing nearly enough to compete. In the end, if KB fails... that's capitalism, and they could have succeeded if they were smart enough, or really wanted to badly enough.

aceguide
02-04-2004, 08:55 AM
I stopped by my local KB that is closing. Everything in the store was 20% off. No refunds or exchanges...

The problem was that there was NOTHING there. No army builder. A couple of TIE's - but I picked mine up already. The lego and LOTR selections were a bit meager as well. The manager said that most everything was out too... :ermm:

DarthQuack
02-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Well said Plasticfetish.

-Matt

kool-aid killer
02-04-2004, 10:56 AM
One i go to is closing. I will kind of be sad to see it leave, sometimes it had good stuff. But then i remember all my wasted trips and i dont feel too bad. Bottom line is KB has too much junk at insane prices. Ive still got one other in the city, but who knows how long that one will hold out for.

Jayspawn
02-04-2004, 12:22 PM
ALL of my KBs are closing. Really sucks too. Theres like 6 that are goin bye-bye. Well I still have KBtoys.com.

Dark Marble
02-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Yep, I am in about the same neck of the woods as Jawspawn and all of ours are closing down. I have been going to KB toys for as long as I can remember. It will be sad to see them gone. :(

Kidhuman
02-04-2004, 12:30 PM
I couldn't(thanks Jedi Partner) care less if they close. i hardly ever buy anything there. There are always overpriced and was a last resort when it came tobuying toys and such. They hardly had anything new, ever. It will be one last stop that never got visited on my hunt down.

CrossWizard
02-04-2004, 01:14 PM
I really hate KB's high prices and recent crappy stock but for some nostalgic reason I'm sad to see them go. Back in the early 80's there were no TRU's or Walmarts or anything else and on KB was where I bought all my vintage Star Wars stuff. I have great memories of KB from Marvel's Secret Wars, to Super Powers and RotJ-PoTF. I remember the 2 last vintage SW figures I ever got were Carbonite Han and Luke Poncho with the coins at KB, for $2 each.

rust
02-04-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm actully sad to see them go. They've been at my mall ALL MY LIFE! That is where I got a lot of my POTF2 Figs (I was a baby during Vintage). But I'll like the insane sale prices after it drops to 80%, (60 cents for a pegwarmer! I'll buy a couple) I'm buying my self 5 TIES for $30!

Turbowars
02-04-2004, 07:22 PM
You know, I've given a lot of thought to this sort of thing lately. We here in southern California have a grocery workers strike going on that's being called one of the longest strikes in history. It sucks! I'm very much pro-union, at least in concept, and I'm very sympathetic to their basic desire to be guaranteed a good job with decent pay and adequate benefits. I haven't shopped at any of the stores that have picket lines out front since the strike has started... but what that's really done, is drive me to the nonunion stores that have employees who make less money and pay for their benefits. In fact, my wife works at one of those other stores, and when we hear the union employees complain and argue, we're torn. On the one hand, there's the sympathy for these people and a desire to see ALL workers treated well. On the other hand, you want to say... "Hey, tough ****!"

But we don't.

(Here's the point.) What really bothers me, is when I read where the Grocery Store executives complain that they can't afford to pay the wages and give the benefits that the workers need, because of increasing competition from big stores like Wal-Mart. That Wal-Mart and Target, because they sell grocery items, are cutting into their action. That the only way to compete (my take here) is to seemingly follow their lead, and show a low level of respect and appreciation for employees by sacrificing their pay and benefits in the name of profit.

So I think... Hey! You can't be complaining that these big stores are ruining your business, when it was in fact you who killed off the "small town grocer." How'd you do that anyway? You offered a service that was more valuable, convenient and ultimately more clever than the one that you beat out. If you want to compete against Wal-Mart, it's time to rethink and redesign your business. (This applies to KB now.) Offer something unique that the big convenience stores don't offer, and do it so well that people will really WANT to shop at your store.

.I'm very pro union also and have not stepped foot over the picket line. I'm a Union Carpenter and I tell you what, I pay to stay in the union. I pay dues every month and every hour I work they take a little more. It is worth it, because my wage is protected, I have a high safety standard, great health insurance and a Pension after 30 years. I feel for these people that are out of a job. God knows how hard it would be for me not to be working. The thing is, is that these people have always had good insurance and now they want to take it away from them. Would you like that? I don't think so. If you didn't get something from the get go,then you wouldn't know the difference. What I'm saying, you don't take a mans way of living away and expect them to be happy.

plasticfetish
02-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Exactly.
And not to turn this into a thread about unions or striking market workers, but come to find out, these market employees are only making something like $13 an hour for a 30 hour week, on average. Not exactly millionaires there, and given the cost of health insurance, without the union fighting for them and fighting for their benefits, some of them probably couldn't afford it for themselves, or for their families.

---

I do feel bad for KB employees because of this thing. I was in a store the other day and listened as one guy (a manager?) talked on the phone to another person at another store about the closings. It was a kind of... "How are your chances?" kind of phone call... pretty sad. At another store I heard a kid joke to someone that he'd just go and apply at Wal-Mart if he lost his job.

Turbowars
02-04-2004, 10:55 PM
At another store I heard a kid joke to someone that he'd just go and apply at Wal-Mart if he lost his job.At least most of the people that work at KB are kids and can get a job anywhere. As for the older folk I do feel bad. So is Target and WM the cause of this? I mean I don't buy anything from KB and maybe in a blue moon I'll pick something up from TRU. Is it that they just can't compete, or was it the big wigs that made a bad move? I would buy from KB if they had what I was looking for. So TRU, FAO and KB are just about out or are restructuring and WM and Target are thriving. Like what was said, they have to change with the times to be competitive.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Very well said pf,

KB shares the blame in not changing their m.o. when Wal-Mart cornered the market on toys.

But Wal-Mart isn't totally let off the hook. Let's examine:

Fair enough for your assessment pf on Capitalism. Wal-Mart gets an A+ in Capitalism. For the way they have expanded in the last decade, even going overseas, for their pricing and product line, and their profit margin. Wal-Mart is thriving and successful and no one is going to blame them for trying to corner the retail market.

At the same time I will give them an F for business practices. As I mentioned before, Wal-Mart basically threatens not to carry a product unless they meet their pricing demands. There is no in between. Either you pay their price or they will not sell your products in their thousands of stores that reach millions of people. Whatever happened to old-fashioned haggling or bargaining in order to satisfy both companies? It’s either Wal-Marts way or the highway and not too many businesses operate that way.

I give Wal-Mart an F for employee/customer relations. How does Wal-Mart, the nation’s biggest and most profitable retailer, pay their employees relative to other retailers? Comparatively speaking, their one of the lowest. Many say it’s not even a living wage. It’s just one way Wal-Mart skimps on costs. Also, remember the report that came out late last year which stated that Wal-Mart regularly does not give employees the full breaks that they are entitled to, working school-age employees far too many hours and scheduling during times they should not be scheduled. Didn’t they also hire illegal immigrants, fully aware of their legal status? There were also many other criticisms in that report as well.

And remember the big scandal a few years ago that stated that Wal-Mart regularly failed to promote women to managing positions? All of this does not add up positively for the company. Personally, when I go to Wal-Mart I see a lot of overworked, disgruntled cashiers, who are constantly bombarded with long lines. At Target, I always see smiling employees, cracking jokes to each other while scanning at the register. There always seems to be a lot of lines open, so waits are not long. They are much busier than any other store I know of, and for that they deserve some sort of hazard pay for the lines seem to never cease. At least make their pay on par with the other stores.

Who can also forget the sweat shops in Central America that made the “Kathy Lee Wardrobe Collection” that was exclusively sold at Wal-Mart.

I plead for Wal-Mart executives to look at Target stores. Target seems to be the optimal in retail stores. They don’t pay slave wages to their employees well, their prices are low, they offer a high quality of merchandise, don’t have overcrowded stores with long lines, and as far as I can tell, don’t use the bullying tactics that Wal-Mart uses when it comes to buying products. I don’t see managers walking around with leather whips, ready to beat senseless the poor soul of an employee who asks to take a bathroom break (okay, I exaggerated a bit). Plus, Target clearances Star Wars merchandise on a regular basis (: ) I also never hear stories of people complaining that the town (or at least the business aspect) went to hell, when Target came in.

And as I stated in my last post, Wal-Mart doesn’t get fingered in all the blame. Retailers want goods faster and cheaper than ever before, and they are willing to look the other way if they knew that some kid in Indonesia toiled on the sneakers for four cents an hour, that they are buying for $20 cheaper. I will strive to buy products from places that I know don’t use egregious unfair business practices or slave labor (sorry Nike).

Forgive my ranting, I also know that all businesses to some extent, will try strong-arming once in a while, but Wal-Mart seems to go above and beyond the threshold of what is acceptable.

Kidhuman
02-08-2004, 02:27 PM
While most of what you said was true LBC, Kathy Giffords clothes were K-mart I do believe.

Its not anyones fault that stores like Wal-Mart are putting other little retailers out of business. If Wal-mart can offer you the lowest prices then why not shop there. They arent the number one retailer for no reason. There sales show they can move a product, so why not use it as leverage wehn negotiating?

As far as wages go, the 2 Wal-Marts near me pay higher than the Traget does. I know because I know people who work(or have worked) in both places.

KB's high prices and failure to move their product is what drove them to close 350 stores. Its a dog eat dog world, and right now, Wal-Mart is the top dog.

bobafrett
02-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I enjoy shopping at TRU over KB or the Wal-Mart toy stores/department. TRU has a lot of toys for every age group. Most of the stores in my area have remodeled, and I miss those long isles of action figures, and video games. KB stores I always found to be overloaded with toys that would get banged up, never the variety of stuff at a TRU, plus they were overpriced much of the time. It sucks when a smaller company gets over thrown by a big mega store like Wal-Fart.

DarthQuack
02-08-2004, 08:51 PM
While Wally world may be getting in the figures, they need to keep them higher on the pegs not where toddlers will not rip them apart. That is frustrating.

-Matt

Kidhuman
02-08-2004, 10:25 PM
While Wally world may be getting in the figures, they need to keep them higher on the pegs not where toddlers will not rip them apart. That is frustrating.

-Matt

My man, it is not always toddlers. Sometimes scalpers will do that becuase of MOC collecotrs. If they card isnt in good shape, we wont by it then and sometimes we might have ot venture into secondary markets for em.

kool-aid killer
02-09-2004, 11:19 AM
I went to the one in Council Bluffs Iowa that is closing yesterday and they didnt have anything i needed in any line i collected. Though it did look like it had a lot more customers. I hadnt seen it that full since black friday. Goodbye Council Bluffs KB, you were good to me every couple of months (and the girls were mostly hot too) hopefully the one in Omaha will get its act together before they go belly up too.

DarthQuack
02-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Well then I would love to lop off scalpers heads with a real lightsaber. Morons.

-Matt

RooJay
02-11-2004, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up about picking anything up for much less than 20% off. I've seen lots of stores close and have liquidation sales, but I've never seen one close where much of anything worth having was around once the prices dropped much past 30% off. Seems people tend generally not to wait too long to pick up clearance items even at only 20% off. Usually by the time the store gets down to 50% there isn't much of anything good left at all. I do wish everyone much luck at bargain hunting, though.

AdmiralPiett
02-11-2004, 02:08 AM
I enjoy shopping at TRU over KB or the Wal-Mart toy stores/department. TRU has a lot of toys for every age group. Most of the stores in my area have remodeled, and I miss those long isles of action figures, and video games. KB stores I always found to be overloaded with toys that would get banged up, never the variety of stuff at a TRU, plus they were overpriced much of the time. It sucks when a smaller company gets over thrown by a big mega store like Wal-Fart.

Yeah, I thought TRU was brilliant back in the 1980s and early 1990s how they used to have the aisles set up so the only way you could get through the store to the good stuff was to walk through about 3 winding aisles of junk before finally arriving at the glorious, hallowed action figure and video game aisles. And you're right, the aisles were SOOOOO long. They weren't the stubby pieces of crap that you see now. I don't like these small "X" shaped aisles.
I will be somewhat sorry to see KB go. It's not so much that I need them to get my toys anymore. Those days are long gone. It's comparable to the way you feel when you find out someone is going to die who you once knew well but grew apart from over time. You were a part of their life during their better days. But somewhere along the road, you took different paths. And now they're temporarily back in your life, just in time to say one last goodbye before they die. There's no denying that their time is almost up. All you can do is realize that this is merely the death of a vessel that held someone you once knew. The person you remember died long ago when you stopped experiencing them. All that lives on are memories. :neutral:
Piett

Kidhuman
02-11-2004, 03:05 AM
I will be somewhat sorry to see KB go. It's not so much that I need them to get my toys anymore. Those days are long gone. It's comparable to the way you feel when you find out someone is going to die who you once knew well but grew apart from over time. You were a part of their life during their better days. But somewhere along the road, you took different paths. And now they're temporarily back in your life, just in time to say one last goodbye before they die. There's no denying that their time is almost up. All you can do is realize that this is merely the death of a vessel that held someone you once knew. The person you remember died long ago when you stopped experiencing them. All that lives on are memories. :neutral:
Piett

You can give my Eulogy when my time is up. :dead: :dead: :dead:

Turbowars
02-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Well, I stopped by my KB in the mall and they said that they are staying. I guess it's a good call, because the only toy stores in the area are KB and TRU and that's in a 25-30 mile radius.

Daye Azur-Jamin
02-11-2004, 12:14 PM
yea same here...they actually had some newer ones like the Anakin secret ceremony wave (i say new because it took FOREVER to find that wave here.. Those were marked up to 6.99 ...kinda shady seeing as how it was on the rack with all the 2.99 figures o well i did manage to nab up some awesome MOTU stuff :-)

Mandalorian Candidat
02-11-2004, 08:49 PM
A mall KB nearby (UT) upped the discount now to 30%. I haven't noticed anything new like some people have mentioned in closing stores, but oddly enough there are a lot less Orns and Dejas since the price drop.

darthzirock
02-11-2004, 11:21 PM
My man, it is not always toddlers. Sometimes scalpers will do that because of MOC collectors. If the card isn't in good shape, we won't buy it then, and sometimes we might have to venture into secondary markets for em.

Glad I'm an opener! I've seen plenty of newer toys on crushed cards, and I've bought them as long as the figure inside is still in good shape. Sometimes, mint cards will have figures that were damaged being put on cards, or the cheap plastic used in the newer accessories gets so bent that not even boiling them helps! But, I'm an opener, so a slightly dinged blister or a bent card of no BFD to me! :D

Kidhuman
02-11-2004, 11:57 PM
I don't care if the card has a crease on it or the bubble is slightly dinged, but a torn card and a completely crumbled one is of no use to me. I am not a MOMC, but a MOC, and I want the card to be at least a c-8 condition.

darthzirock
02-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Back in early January, before the KB closings announcement, I sent KB and Kmart a letter similar to the ones in the SSG Wal-Mart/TRU letter writing campaign. Well, the other day a box arrives from KB Toys. Inside was a note thanking me for the letter and my "continued interest in KB Toys and Star Wars toys," AND the 12-inch Princess Leia & R2-D2 as Jabba's Prisoners boxed set! The box was a tiny bit beat-up, but the figures are in absolutely perfect condition. In fact, the gold rubber bands that hold Leia's top and bottom on are in better condition than the one I bought back when KB had these in there stores! I'm shocked they still had any of these suckers! Hmmm, wonder if I wrote back and asked really nice if they'd send me the Mynock Hunt and Rebel Pilots Cinema Scenes?

bobafrett
02-14-2004, 01:51 PM
You got the Leia and R2 just for writing a letter? Were they the 12" figures? Wow! I mean it's cool if they sent that to you for expressing an interest in Star Wars.

Turbowars
02-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Either I'm crazy or missed something here, but the 2 pack was only from FAO.

Kidhuman
02-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Thats pretty freakin cool. I think I need otstart writing some letters to these companies.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-14-2004, 05:09 PM

Doesn't KB have some connection with FAO? They had the Imperial Shuttle after FAO had "released" it.

Turbowars
02-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Doesn't KB have some connection with FAO? They had the Imperial Shuttle after FAO had "released" it.Yeah, they both are collapsing.lol

Kidhuman
02-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Maybe the shuttle was cursed?

rbaumhauer
02-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, I thought all of my local KB Toys were closing, but I took a chance yesterday evening on the way home and hit a personal jackpot - I got the last Playskool X-wing set, which was the last of the OT Playskool sets that I needed. I refused to pay the $24-30 people wanted on ebay, and finally got lucky.

Strangely enough, the store itself showed no signs of impending closure - one closer to me has clearance signs all over the place, but this one just had "Holiday Weekend" sales.

darthzirock
02-15-2004, 12:24 AM

Actually, Turbo, you missed that KB acquired the Leia & R2 12" 2-pack from FAO when they didn't sell a whole heck of a lot of them at $70 a pop! KB got them like a year later, and were clearancing them for $40, then $30, and I think they were finally blown out the doors at $19.99! By that time, most of these things were in pretty shoddy condition. Either the v.p. that answered my letter just happened to find one still hanging around corporate, or KB still has some of these things in their warehouses! Once KB goes completely under, start checking those Dollar Generals for these things at, like, $5!

Mandalorian Candidat
02-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm reporting one of the first casualties from the closings. One local mall-based store (Provo, UT) closed down last night and the other local one (also mall-based) is closing on the first of March. They still had scads of inventory (at 30% too). The manager told me it's all getting shipped off to Colorado. Whether she meant other stores or a regional warehouse, I don't know.

vulcantouch
02-17-2004, 11:08 PM
i can only hope it's the former; thanx for the hedz-up mancandi :greedy:

Kidhuman
02-19-2004, 05:26 PM
The KB by me in the New River Valley Mall is officially shut down as well. Good riddance.