PDA

View Full Version : Hamill's Acting is just horrible in ANH.

scruffziller
02-03-2004, 06:16 AM
It is mainly evident in the sequence with the sand people. He does not act concerned or even a little fearful when investigating the situation. Is his charachter really suppose to be that brave? But what really gets me is when the Tusken is attacking Luke the gaffi stick, he has absolutely no fear on his face whatsoever. Also when he tells 3PO,"We gotta get out of here before the sandpeople return." There is not one degree of urgency in his voice.:frus: :rolleyes:

2-1B
02-03-2004, 11:31 AM
He's terrible in ANH.

He shows signs of improvement in ESB and does his best work in ROTJ.

Beast
02-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Indeed. In fact bad or mediocre acting is all over both trilogies. Just look at Harrison Ford's charming delivery of the following line. :)

Han Solo: "Easy, you call that easy!"

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
02-03-2004, 12:08 PM
The worst delivered lines not by Jake Lloyd have to be:

HARRISON FORD: "Listen, I ain't in this for you and I'm not in this for your Rebellion. . ."

DUDE WHO PLAYS HOBBIE: "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?"

But Hammill can be rather wretched at times, too.

Kidhuman
02-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Gotta agree, he was horrible in ANH and progressed decently through-out the trilogy.

General Tagge
02-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes, it's as if the Star Wars galaxy gets better acting. The Phantom Menace was very choppy and sort of hard to sit through, Attack of the Clones was a little better, but Obi-Wan seemed to forget how to talk smoothly. The OT was full of great timing for bad lines. But honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

stillakid
02-08-2004, 05:26 PM
While the "Listen, I ain't in this..." line is a bit awkward, I don't know that any of the dialogue or acting is all that bad in the OT. Certainly not even in the same ballpark as anything Jake or Samuel gave us. If anything, I thought that Hamill's acting got worse by the time ROTJ rolled around. His "play to the big room" sensibilities shine through at unfortunate moments as he had been filling his spare time with live theater. But, no, none of it was terrible by any stretch of the imagination.

...okay, on second thought, maybe the "two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" guy needed another take, but how can you condemn the OT for that when the Prequels gave us so many great jewels like, "Yippee!"

Darkness Shroud
02-09-2004, 12:46 PM
I actually didnt think Hamill was that bad in ANH. I really would like to see his "scared" face though. Imagine old Hamill's face if he did come face to face with a tusken! Not pretty :eek:! The one thing that makes me cringe in ANH, no matter how many times i watch it, is when Han tells (well kinda growls) Luke "May the Force be with you. Its as if Harry Ford's gonna break into tears! Tears of pain or laughter i just dont know.:)

Darth Trymybestus
02-09-2004, 01:26 PM
I think in A New Hope, Luke is a wide eyed farm boy who craves excitement and adventure. As far as he's concerned, the Sand People are a good distance away, he's shocked when one comes right up ontop of him.

By the time we see him in The Empire Strikes Back, he's grown up somewhat, he's a bit more serious. If you wanna see Luke scared, watch the scene where he confronts Vader in the tree on Dagobah, now that's good acting. ;)

Mark Hamill's acting definitely improves throughout the trilogy. :)

JediTricks
02-09-2004, 06:25 PM
I think Mark Hamill's acting in ANH is spot-on, just what the film calls for. He's a young, innocent farmboy who craves adventure but is torn between that and his feelings of loyalty and duty to his uncle. When Luke travels into the Jundland Wastes, he thinks his rifle will protect him and his only worry is about Uncle Owen being mad that R2 has run off and the droids aren't working the farm. Look at the dialogue, Luke seems to be curious about taking a look at the Tuskens - he could have simply driven off but chooses to stay there. That's how I see it anyway.

In ESB, and ROTJ, there are moments when Hamill goes a little over the top, but I think in some ways that's what's called for in this homage to the serials. Plus, he seems to be overacting in the tone of what the scene calls for, when Harrison Ford phones it in during ROTJ, his style seems a little off-note at times because it doesn't totally fit the situation - though I suppose Ford might have been trying to play Han's cavalier attitude in those parts.

Darth Jax
02-09-2004, 08:02 PM
i cringe when vader confronts luke on bespin.

"no, that's impossible."

tagmac
02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Let's not forget that "wonderful" acting a coked-up Carrie Fisher gaves us during parts of ESB....in he asteroid cave, she made Harrison Ford look like a second-rate ventriloquist! :classic:

scruffziller
02-11-2004, 08:42 AM
He actually starts to improve directly after that Tusken sequence. His conversation with Obi Wan at his home demanded some improvement.;)
It seems he got some coaching in the meantime.

JEDIpartner
02-11-2004, 09:13 AM
You noticed this... when? Pretty much ALL of the acting is just as bad as it is in the PT. The problem is... we grew up watching these and didn't really know better. Some of the acting is laugh out loud hilarious. Even Harrison Ford has some really cheeseball moments. Poor Carrie is so stoned throughout most of ROTJ that it is crazy! Look at how her dialogue had to be redubbed during the scene with Luke at the Ewok Village. Her eyes are totally glassy there... even before she has a reason to get all teary-eyed!

2-1B
02-12-2004, 12:54 AM
"The DVD release is expected to move Mark Hamill's application to be on Surreal Life 3 straight to the top of the line."
--Dennis Miller 2/11/2004--