PDA

View Full Version : What happens when they play music of a band disbanded?

scruffziller
02-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Do the monies get distributed to the respective x-members as they would when it was a whole group?

sith_killer_99
02-03-2004, 11:05 AM
First of all the Recording Industy gets a major portion of the proceeds from album sales.

Then of course there is "ownership" of said property. Many times members sell their shares to other members in the band. Sometimes bands sell their song rights to individuals. If I remember correctly, Michael Jackson bought several Beatles tunes.

The owners of these tunes get royalty checks every so often based on sales of their music (or the music they own).

My big question is with the new Napster, I have bought several individual songs at 99 cents each, so do they get a few pennies on the dollar? Napster cut a deal with the big record companies, so they obviously maintain a degree of control over the property.

I'm also sure that some bands buy out their songs from the recording companies. That's why I haven't been able to find certain music on Napster. That's my theory anyway.

Kidhuman
02-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Well a friend of mine was in a band that was real popular in Germany. It is an old death metal band called Rejuvinate. After he left the band, he would still get checks every 3-6 months from sales of their albums. I guess it all depends on what you decide to do, sell your share or not.

JON9000
02-04-2004, 01:08 PM
The money is given to the record label, the entity that owns the publishing rights, the songwriter, and the artist. Sometimes two or more of these are combined, i.e. singer/songwriter. Usually bands get an uneven distribution of royalties regardless, unless they were involved in the songwriting process equally. As for ex-bandmembers, unless they have sold their interest, they have a right to at least a small part of the royalties.

bobafrett
02-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Then you have VH1 come along and try to get the band back together and play a one night only gig.

I would imagine it would also depend on what the contract you sign with the record label says, as to how much each individual band member gets. Look at Billy Joel, he got messed over in his record deal, and got nary a cent early on.