PDA

View Full Version : Original Trilogy Collection - Wishlist

Beast
02-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Well, we knew that this was a matter of time. So I figured I'd be the one to start it. We know the OT DVD's are coming this fall. And we know that Hasbro's doing a Original Trilogy Collection of figures on Vintagish looking cards to tie into that. Supposedly 12 figures, 4 from each movie. Steve revealed the Empire choices. So what do you guys want to see that fits the other two? A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. Judging by the rumor lists we've seen, he're my choices. :)

Original Trilogy Collection - A New Hope:
#1 Han Solo: Stormtrooper Disguise
#2 Luke Skywalker: Stormtrooper Disguise
#3 Death Star Trooper
#4 General Tagge

Original Trilogy Collection - Empire Strikes Back:
#1 Luke Skywalker: Dagobah Training Fatigues
#2 Yoda: Jedi Master
#3 Obi-Wan Kenobi: Jedi Spirit
#4 R2-D2: Dagobah

Original Trilogy Collection - Return of the Jedi:
#1 Luke Skywalker: Endor Gear
#2 Princess Leia Organa: Endor Gear
#3 C-3PO: Ewok Diety w/ Throne
#4 Chief Chirpa w/ Ewok Mother & Woklings

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-04-2004, 05:20 PM
I'd like to see Hem Dazon from the cantina and a new Uncle Owen. I know they will be using a good number of primary characters so I don't have a very deep wish list.

I love that Chief Chirpa idea. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Those are pretty good. Since the focus now seems to be on resculpts of main characters, here's mine.

ANH
#1 Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Armor
#2 Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor
#3 Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi with soft goods cloak and lower robes
#4 Biggs Darklighter with removable helmet

ESB - Already confirmed

ROTJ
#1 Luke Skywalker in Endor Gear with removable helmet and cloth cloak (for DS II)
#2 Han Solo in Endor Gear
#3 Leia Organa in Endor Gear with removable helmet and cloth cloak
#4 Chewbacca with dead animal and large net

Kidhuman
02-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Well I have to say I like lists.

ANH
1.Luke:stormtooper
2.Han: " "
3.Vader
4. Obi-Wan

ESB
We already know those

ROTJ
1. Emperor
2. Chirpa
3. 3PO with eyes ripped out(Jabba's Palace)
4. Luke Endor Gear

On the ANH figures, wouldnt it be cool if they put the lightsabers in the arms of these figures. That's a real throw back for ya.

Beast
02-04-2004, 05:49 PM
On the ANH figures, wouldnt it be cool if they put the lightsabers in the arms of these figures. That's a real throw back for ya.
Anakin Skywalker: Outland Peasent Disguise proved that this idea should die, and never ever be thought up again. We still need a decent OPD Anakin cause of it. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
02-04-2004, 05:52 PM
I never noticed it on mine since his arm is behind the box. But for a true vintage feel, they should do it like the old days. Have the little tab underneath and slide it out.

rust
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
ANH: Rebel Ceremony
Leia (Rebel Ceremony)
Luke (Rebel Ceremony)
Han Solo (Rebel Ceremony)
Rebel Pilot (Rebel Ceremony)

ROTJ: Max Rebo Band
Max Rebo (Jabba's Palace)
Umpass Stass & Ak-Rev (Max Rebo Band Percussionists) [Come with Percussion Instruments and Vibroblades]
Sy Snootles & Joh Yowza [Furball] (Max Rebo Band Singers) [Comes with Microphone]
Yarna D'al Gargan (Jabba's Palace Dancer)

aceguide
02-05-2004, 10:06 AM
ANH

I would like to see Luke and Han in Stormie gear for sure. It would also be nice to get a screen scene from the medal ceremony.

ESB

I like what we are already hearing about these selections. Some Cloud City characters would be nice - especially Lobot. Luke in medical duds would also be cool. And what about Mon Mothma...

ROTJ

Rounding out the Max Rebo gang would be great. Ewoks are also a must.

What I am looking forward to the most is the Falcon (Lego & OT in the smae year - OUCH$$$!!!). Let's hope that we see some additional vehicles come out.

angellus
02-05-2004, 04:40 PM
A NEW HOPE:
Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise
Uncle Owen
Ben Kenobi with Tractor Beam Catwalk (maybe better as an Ultra figure, but I can dream)

RETURN OF THE JEDI:
Luke Skywalker in Endor Gear with Removable Helmet
Princess Leia in Endor Gear with Removable Helmet
Han Solo in Endor Trench Coat
C-3PO with Ewok Throne

JangoFart
02-05-2004, 06:03 PM
ANH:

With the exception of some tertiary, unimportant Cantina characters, this horse is dead. Quit beating it and move along. (Although I wouldn't mind some Owen and Beru figures in their "We do it just like Burger King - flame, baby, FLAME!" outfits.)

ROTJ:

- Luke in his "yawn this movie blows outfit";
- Leia in her "yawn this movie blows outfit";
- Ewok with genetically-modified elite uber-warrior killing rock;
- Vader in his "I went from the toughest mo-fo in the Galaxy to a whining wimp just like my son" outfit;
- Han in his "Does my total disgust of this film REALLY show on my face?" outfit.

The only movie from the OT which has been consistently ignored and still has a WEALTH of great characters from which to choose is the best movie in the lot - Empire!

It's high time to STOP making a billion Luke's and 3PO's and Han's and Leia's and [fill in dead horse of your choice here] and START making some EU characters. You know, the characters that KEEP fans interested in the property? The characters which manage to sell millions of books and comics and video games without having to appear on the silver screen: Quinlan Vos; Villie; post-ROTJ Luke, Han, Leia, Han and Leia's younguns, the list goes on and on and on and on.....

BTW, ROTJ blows. I'd rather the line die off than be swamped with all the ROTJ figures which have just come out. Do it right, Hasbro, or don't do it at all.

J

Beast
02-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Empire actually has the least number of figures left to do from it. Basically because it didn't introduce that many new characters. And the background characters that are in the film, have been pretty much taken care of. And they will never stop making main characters. They will always be the bread and butter of the figure line. Making them is what makes it possible to fill the other slots for the year with obscure characters that would never be able to support the line on it's own.

EU characters have bombed in the past, so there is a very limited market for those sorts of things. Like it or not, Luke #20 sells way better then obscure characters from the movies. And even better then obscure characters from the novels. Just look at posts on these very boards, there is a small vocal minority that actually would buy them. And they'd end up pegwarming and being clearanced out just like before.

And ROTJ blowing is your opinion. It's the one OT movie that still has a lot of characters that can be mined for figures. Because it was the most diverse when it came to character designs. Both aliens and humans. There's tons of Jabba's Denziens, Imperial Officers & Crewman, as well as Ewoks that need to be tapped. If you don't like them, then don't buy them. Cause there will be just as many if not more that welcome seeing these long requested ROTJ characters being made. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-06-2004, 12:41 AM
I would like to see:

Original Trilogy Collection - A New Hope:
#1 Han Solo: Stormtrooper Disguise
#2 Luke Skywalker: Stormtrooper Disguise
#3 Death Star Trooper
#4 General Tagge
#5 Biggs (Tatooine)
#6 Super articulated Stormtrooper
#7 Dr. Evazan

Original Trilogy Collection - Empire Strikes Back:
#1 Major Bren Derlin
#2 Hoth Soldier (Brown vested)
#3 Snowtrooper (infantry)
#4 General Veers (Uniformed)

Original Trilogy Collection - Return of the Jedi:
#1 Luke Skywalker: Endor Gear
#2 Princess Leia Organa: Endor Gear
#3 C-3PO: Ewok Diety w/ Throne
#4 Chief Chirpa w/ Ewok Mother & Woklings
#5 Moff Jerjjodd
#6 Misc. Warrior Ewok 2-pack
#7 Y-Wing pilot (Rebel breifing)
#8 Human B-Wing pilot (Rebel breifing)
#9 Black X-wing pilot
#10 misc. Skiff Guard (from the skiff Luke and co. were on, his helmet was dark and kinda looked like Lando's, but with less visualization)
#11 New Weequay skiff guard(either resculpt or new character)

That's pretty much it from my count...

JangoFart
02-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Yes, JarJar, I'm aware of the difference between an opinion and a fact. That is my opinion. If your opinion differs from mine, I don't care. I will not, however, do anything to keep you from expressing that opinion. It is yours to express and here's the place to do it.

EU characters have not bombed in the past. Ever watch a Dark Trooper on eBay? Space Trooper? Mara Jade? Slap one of those up on eBay for $15 - $20 and see how long they stick around. That line of figures sells. Plain and simple. And they sell for more than $4.77.

And, production runs don't need to run in the 100K+ each figure. EU figures will sell. Maybe 100K of them won't, but they'll sell and Hasbro will make money. On top of that, I doubt the licensing agreement for EU characters demands that Hasbro pay as much likeness rights as they do for core characters - some of whom get a piece of each figure made; like Harrison Ford. (Or so I read a few years back....)

Just because my fellow nerds who frequent this forum - which maybe represent .05% of the Star Wars collectors - say they won't buy these figures doesn't mean anything. The people, like myself, who buy the comics and books WOULD buy those figures. Like it or not. The people, like myself, who don't like ROTJ won't buy those figures. Like it or not.

J

vadersvette
02-10-2004, 04:14 PM
ROTJ:

- Luke in his "yawn this movie blows outfit";
- Leia in her "yawn this movie blows outfit";
- Ewok with genetically-modified elite uber-warrior killing rock;
- Vader in his "I went from the toughest mo-fo in the Galaxy to a whining wimp just like my son" outfit;
- Han in his "Does my total disgust of this film REALLY show on my face?" outfit.

The only movie from the OT which has been consistently ignored and still has a WEALTH of great characters from which to choose is the best movie in the lot - Empire!...BTW, ROTJ blows. I'd rather the line die off than be swamped with all the ROTJ figures which have just come out. Do it right, Hasbro, or don't do it at all.

J

I, too like Empire, and it is not ignored! Everyone loves Empire!!!but why dis ROTJ?!?! I thought that movie was great!! And if you think about it, a lot of people don't even know too much, or care a whole lot, about EU. Perhaps that is why the EU line only lasted one year. :mad:
Anyway, I would like to see General Veers without his helmet or coat (I didn't like the rubbery one from the AT-AT)

JangoFart
02-11-2004, 12:17 PM
I, too like Empire, and it is not ignored! Everyone loves Empire!!!but why dis ROTJ?!?! I thought that movie was great!! And if you think about it, a lot of people don't even know too much, or care a whole lot, about EU. Perhaps that is why the EU line only lasted one year. :mad:
Anyway, I would like to see General Veers without his helmet or coat (I didn't like the rubbery one from the AT-AT)
Well, I guess I should re-phrase my opinion. ROTJ does not, as a movie taken in and of itself, blow. As a sequel to Empire, as a sequel to ANH, as the FINAL Star Wars movie, it blows. And I feel that for the reasons I listed in my post - Vader is such a puss; teddy bears wiping out Stormtroopers by the dozen; ANOTHER Death Star; too cutesy/cuddly for both my tastes and for Star Wars in general.

Now, don't get me wrong: These films are Lucas' babies to either screw up or make excellent. Whatever he puts out in the Star Wars name will get my lazy butt in the theater at least once. I'm not the kind of guy who says "How dare Lucas do [fill in complaint of your chioce]!" Do I like Han shooting first? Hell yeah! It's what attracted me to that character so much when I was a kid. It fit his character and his "one of us ain't walkin' outta this room"-type of attitude as he's talking to Greedo and reaching for his blaster totally rocked! I hate that George changed that in ANH: SE. However, it's his to screw up or make excellent. I just don't have to agree with his choices; as I don't agree with his choices in ROTJ. I've seen it a TON of times just because it's a SW movie. It has great high points - Tatooine rescue, Palpatine's bad-***-itude, speeder bikes. But, it has over-shadowing low points - Ewoks in general, Ewoks beating blaster-equipped Stormtroopers with rocks, Luke's whine at an all-time high, Vader's general whimp demeanor, etc. But, as someone was so kind to point out - that's just my opinion and not a "fact" - as some folks like to claim their opinions are.

And, you have to put the POTF2 EU line's performance in context of general Star Wars toy performance at that time. The line itself was suffering and that's probably why we even saw the EU line to begin with. Interest was waning hard from the high point of '95 to mid-'96. Shadows of the Empire had come out and because it didn't receive any main-line media attention - i.e., a cartoon, movie, TV series - it didn't go over well. Most Star Wars fans weren't up for reading a 2-inch thick book and the video games sucked. Interest in the line in general waned more and EU line came out to a very luke-warm audience of fans. Not because the EU line itself was bad, but because interest in general in SW toys was at an all-time low - the likes of which weren't seen again until the EP1 flood of merchandise turned folks off after cranking up the interest in '99.

BTW: For those that don't know, the Clone Wars is the new EU line. I don't know of anyone who is screaming from the rooftops what a failure that EU line was. The EU line sells well on eBay. I'm sure it's happened, but I don't recall seeing a Dark Trooper, Space Trooper, Mara Jade, Thrawn, Kyle Katarn, or Clone Emperor that had a decent price ($10-20) that didn't sell on eBay. That's quite more than the regular figures sell, yet folks are paying it left and right. Hell, I'd pay $10.00 a pop for Quinlan Vos, post-ROTJ main characters, etc., ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! I'm sure there are MANY collectors who would make the same statement at any given time. (Just as sure as I am that many would not. But, forget them. Make half as many figures, charge twice as much and guess what?)

And yes, Veers would be a great choice. He was quite odd as the AT-AT pack-in - gooey feeling figure with a strange shaped/sized head. I'd like to see a Veers with removeable helmet with a holo of Vader, ala Bail Organa/Obi-Wan holo. Great figure begging to be made. I'd also love to see a figure of that googly-eyed Emperor from ESB. Or, an Ultra set with Vader in kneeling position with said googly-eyed Emperor holo. Or Vader with two holo officers as they appear in ESB going into the asteroid field. Or soft-goods Vader walking over the body of the officer who apologized to him for loosing the Falcon. (Whatever his name was.) "Apology accepted, Captain Needa" - I think that's the line. Or how about a dark-side Dagobah tree playset? Yoda's house? Bridge of the Executor? (Not just the individual figures.)

Empire hasn't been ignored as of late and that's a great thing. I suppose it makes sense to give each OT movie their own set or 2 of figures. But, there's no good reason to ignore the EU to the extent that it has been ignored. I mean, please. Did we REALLY need a Maul Sith Apprentice? Did we REALLY need a Qui-Gon Jedi Training? Obi-Wan Cold-Weather gear? (Although I dig that figure) Those ARE EU figures that sold. Those were EU figures that sold that had little to NO background in the EU universe. No comics. No game. No books. Just, if they were lucky, concept art.

But, other, FAR more worthy EU figures to be made before we need the 86th Luke in whatever-the-heck outfit, Han in whatever-the-heck outfit, etc., or the odd EU choices from POTJ that I listed above. Or, for that matter, a bunch of tertiary characters that folks have to write an EU background story on because they had .006 seconds of screen time; whereas folks who've been in comics, video games, and/or books for YEARS are totally ignored.

So, I guess that's the source of my earlier anti-ROTJ rant. The comics, for instance, covering the back-story between Quin and Aayla are FAR superior to ROTJ. So good, in fact, the Mr. Lucas put Aayla in AOTC at the 11th hour. THAT fact - the fact that she, at the last minute, got put in AOTC - earns her an 2 action figures (Saga starburst and Saga gold-band cards), but Quin, the bad vampire dudes, and the other supporting cast get nothing. Except, of course, more comics because the fans loved it. Why we need that fuzzy beaver-toothed dude from ROTJ over ANY of those characters from the EU is beyond me. Hell, we're even gettin' a Han AT-ST driver when all he ever did that can be ascertained from the movie is slap on the helmet to fool the other imperials. But, we get him in full-blown AT-ST gear. (Again, cool figure but an unworthy one compared to the others who remain plastic-less.)

That's my point as best as I can articulate it at the moment.

J

Kidhuman
02-11-2004, 12:47 PM
You bring up some very good points about EU Jango.

I am going tohave todisagree with you on the Clone Wars stuff thouogh. Lucas had say so in that and authorized it. I feel that those are Cannon according to the SW saga as a whole.

Most of us in 95 probably had never read a novel or EU comic book. When I saw Dash Rendar with speeder, I was like WTF is this? I passed on it because Ithought it was junk and had no part of being in the SW universe. I didnt even read an EU novel until last summer when I read the Zahn trilogy. Now, that is a great series. I love it. WOuld I buy the figures now if they were released, most likely. Why, because we now have background on those characters.

Why would anyone want a cold weather Obi-Wan if he wasnt in a book or comic as you say? It was just a ploy to get kids(most likely) to buy a few more toys. I dont own one EU figure as of yet. The only one I will have is going tobe the Concept Trooper. And the only reason is because it is a Fan's CHoice and Ihave allof them so far(except Dodonna who I havent seen).

I say stop worrying about EU figures and all, because Hasbro has their License until 2018. What are they going to do after EPIII hype dies out? If they were smart they will go back to the EU and give us some good figures.

And as far as the Ewoks beating the crap out of the Stormies, its called Home Field Advantage. They were on their turf and got rocked(literally). They were forced to play the game Ewok style. I think ROTJ is great. Vader didnt wimp out, he felt the love for his son and made a moral choice.

JangoFart
02-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey, Kid.

Lucas authorized and had say-so on Shadows, too. His fingers are in all Star Wars pies.

Yeah, I know Anakin made a moral choice at the end of ROTJ. But, do you think he would have made that same choice at the end of ANH after that punk tore up his fav TIE? Or at the end of ESB after he chops off his kid's hand and tells him to join or die? I don't think so, but perhaps he would. Nothing in that character in either of those 2 movies gives the indication that he was anything less than loyal to Palpatine and an all-around evil bastidge.

The way ROTJ could have better handled his transition from "I'll choke ya to death if you don't do what I say to the letter" to "I love you, boy" is to have a scene where Vader is watching a holo of Luke growing up, or Vader's approached by Yoda and/or Ben's spirit in a plea to his human side, or a meditation session where we get to see what he's thinking about and what he's thinking about is when he was more pure or in love with Padme, or at the very least more interaction between Luke and Vader on Endor and/or in space above Endor. The way ESB ended, you knew that Vader was hell-bent on killing him, as instructed, or turning him - NOT joining him.

So, is my beef regarding Vader's demeanor based solely on the fact that he made the right moral choice and therefore we have a happy ending? Not at all. I like happy endings and I actually think the ending is the most potent part of ROTJ. But, there was little to no segway in between Vader the killer and Vader the carer. I needed more to make me believe that the Vader of ANH and ESB could do what the Vader of ROTJ did and it's just not there.

And we'll have to agree to disagree about the Ewoks. Home-field advantage or no, 20 sticks don't beat 10 blasters. :)

J

Kidhuman
02-11-2004, 06:50 PM
But there was a segway to Vaders change. When he chopped off Lukes hand, he looked at his own, as to say, its me all over again. From that moment Vader almost seemed to have second thoughts. Thats where the transformation begun. He most likely was thinking, look what Idid tomyself, destroyed everything Icared for, my wife, family, friends..........doI want the same for him? Its hard ot say what he was thinking really, but thats what I like to think.

And home field advantage means alot......look at 'Nam. :D

vadersvette
02-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Well, JangoFart, the way you put it, I have to agree that ROTJ wasn't a good ending for the series. I still crack up when the little rocks kill the stormtroopers :D Maybe Lucas was thinking that the saga wouldn't end at six. The thing that mad that movie even worse (along with ruining the first 2) were the stupid-*** computer additions, and the new crappy music at Jabba's Palace and at the end.
And actually, I did like the EU line, the only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't find a lot of the figures. I like your ideas for Empire OTC figures. Hasbro really needs to back away from the Malibu Stacy Doll-Now With A Hat!! idea and start making fresh new figures, like Veers, the Cloud Car Pilot, Hobby, Zev, and Janson, but also a remake of the Death Star Scanning Crew Trooper (never even seen it or knew about it until recently), Biggs, either with a removable helmet, or in his farmclothes (cut from the movie.) Maybe some droids would be nice, or Uncle Owen, Cpt. Needa, definately an R5-D4 (the POTF2 one sucked), cantina band (since a lot of people missed out by not joining the fan club.) Also, not one I want though, but should be made, is a non-midget Hoth Trooper. As for scenes, etc, it would be cool if they made, similarly to the Jedi Council, a multi-movie Lars' Homestead. Maybe one half could come with Cliegg, Owen, and Beru, and the other come with Luke, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, and would feature the moisture farm things outside. It should come with skeletons and a little smoke emitter! :D :D

DarthQuack
02-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Are we still on the topic of this thread?

-Matt

jedihunter25
02-12-2004, 12:49 AM
ANH-
*SANDCRAWLER*
Cantina aliens that have not been made yet

ESB-
*TWIN CLOUD CAR*
Vader with meditation chamber

ROTJ-
the rest of the Ewoks from the vintage line that has not been made yet
the Imperial Dignitary from the vintage line
aliens from Jabba's Palace that has not been made yet

Darth Trymybestus
02-12-2004, 12:36 PM
For me, the only two figures that I really want are.

An ultimate Darth Vader. Neutrally posed, same quality of sculpt as the Bespin Duel version. I believe that figure is the best sculpt as far as likeness of Darth Vader. I'd love a neutrally posed figure, with a cape that isn't blowing in the wind. Similar articulation as Anakin Secret Ceremony minus the ankle articulation. I still think we haven't got the perfect Darth Vader yet. Bespin Duel came kinda close. Throne Room Duel took a step back in my opinion.

Luke Skywalker - Battle of Endor. Neutrally posed, some good articulation. Excellent head sculpt, same as the Luke Skywalker - Jabba's Palace would do fine. Soft goods poncho so that when it's removed, he's a perfect version of the Death Star II costume. Comes with removeable helmet, made similiar to the removeable helmet on the Episode I red naboo guard.

I still believe we haven't got a perfect Death Star II Luke. The best one we've had is in the cinema scene but that's a one pose wonder. :)

jjreason
02-17-2004, 02:55 AM
Well, my list looks pretty close to JediHunter 25's - Sandcrawler and Twin Pod Cloud Car. More aliens from Jabba's and the Cantina are always welcome, and the perfect compliment to the new "Red Leader's X-Wing" would be "Red Leader's Astromech: R5-**".

I'm harbouring lots of hope that we're going to get those vehicles. Why else would they tease us with R1G4 and the new TPCC Pilot? :)

Kidhuman
02-17-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm harbouring lots of hope that we're going to get those vehicles. Why else would they tease us with R1G4 and the new TPCC Pilot? :)

Because they like to tease us. Hasbro has been doing that for awhile. They offer us a really good Jabba with lots of accessories and cool figures for his palace, but no dias. They give us all these things but always seem to forget one key ingredient with it all. Like birthday cake with no icing.

bigbarada
02-17-2004, 12:15 PM
I guess, in theory, EU figures would sell if made well enough; but I'll never buy them.

My wishlist would look something like:

ANH:
1. Chewie - Millenium Falcon Pilot (hence he should actually be able to sit in the Falcon cockpit, Hasbro would have to fudge the scale; but that's a small trade-off IMO.)
2. Han Ceremonial
3. Luke Ceremonial
4. All-purpose, super-articulated Darth Vader (in essence, one Darth Vader figure that could be used to act out ANY scene in the entire trilogy)

ESB:
aside from Major Derlin, this is the film with the least possibilities for new action figures. Maybe a new Luke Snowspeeder Pilot, made the same quality as that incredible Unleashed figure.

ROTJ:
1. Kithaba and/or Barada
2. Gamorrean Guard resculpt
3. carded A-Wing, Y-Wing and B-Wing pilots
4. Han Endor with soft-goods trenchcoat
5. Hermi Odle
6. MORE EWOKS!!!!!
7. Han Carbonite resculpt

I could go on for days with a ROTJ wishlist, but I'll just leave it at that.

vadersvette
02-17-2004, 04:01 PM
All-purpose, super-articulated Darth Vader (in essence, one Darth Vader figure that could be used to act out ANY scene in the entire trilogy)
The only small problem is that Vader's costume changes each movie. (the chest armor changes, and his helmet is more of a flat black in ANH, and more shiny in the other 2.), but still an all-purpose Vader has been on my list. Let's hope the new vintage one satisfies everyone. I'm hoping for a cloth cape, articulation enough to make him hold his lightsaber, put his hands on his belt, and stretch out his hand to "choke" Captain Antilles. :crazed: :crazed:

Darth Trymybestus
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
The only small problem is that Vader's costume changes each movie. (the chest armor changes, and his helmet is more of a flat black in ANH, and more shiny in the other 2.), but still an all-purpose Vader has been on my list. Let's hope the new vintage one satisfies everyone. I'm hoping for a cloth cape, articulation enough to make him hold his lightsaber, put his hands on his belt, and stretch out his hand to "choke" Captain Antilles. :crazed: :crazed:

I can't even tell the difference except for the helmet being more shiny. I must ramble on about it so much but I believe the quality of the sculpt for the Bespin Duel is by far the best Vader yet, it would have been the best Vader ever if it had articulation and a neutral cape.

vadersvette
02-17-2004, 04:26 PM
I can't even tell the difference except for the helmet being more shiny. I must ramble on about it so much but I believe the quality of the sculpt for the Bespin Duel is by far the best Vader yet, it would have been the best Vader ever if it had articulation and a neutral cape.
I also like the Bespin Duel Vader. Another good one was the POTF2 commtech Vader--great sculpt and cape, but poor articulation.

Darth Trymybestus
02-17-2004, 04:35 PM
I think the Dagobah Vader was probably 2nd best. Love the sculpt. If only it was totally black, it would be an almost perfect Vader. Heck the cape is almost normal. :(

rbaumhauer
02-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Are you including the MOTDS/Death Star Duel Vader in your rankings? Honestly, apart from a lack of articulation (which most share to some degree), it's right up there, and much better than Dagobah Vader (which I don't like the helmet sculpt on). Still, he can hold his lightsaber with both hands, the pose is fairly neutral, he has a nice cloth cape (and I don't usually like soft goods), and the helmet sculpt looks great to me. I think this should have been the OTC Vader, not the action-feature compromised Saga/ROTJ version.

Darth Trymybestus
02-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Are you including the MOTDS/Death Star Duel Vader in your rankings?

Yep, I don't like the soft goods cloak at all, it looks kinda frayed at the edges. Although, I do think the helmet sculpt is pretty darn good.

When I got back into collecting figures in 1999, I started buying some of the old POTF2 figures and I got the buffed up Darth Vader. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread at the time. When I look at it now, I realise how truly crappy it is. The body sculpt is awful and the helmet sculpt is awful.
I then bought the commtech figure which is ok but I don't like the head sculpt or the soft goods.
The next Vader I bought was Dagobah Vader. Now, I liked the Dagobah Vader because I liked the pose and I like the helmet sculpt. If you take a look at the Vader in the Final Jedi Duel Cinema scene, the bottom of the helmet sculpt is terrible.

Then, I didn't get a Vader until the the SAGA Bespin Duel version. I love this Vader figure more than any others because I believe it captures the likeness of Vader better than any other. Yeah, the action features suck but as someone who only displays my figures, it doesn't bother me too much. I just love the sculpting on the head, it truly is Vader, it's one of my favorite figures that I have.

The throne room duel version is it pretty darn good too, although I do believe Hasbro took a step back. It's not nearly as detailed as the Bespin Duel version.

My favorite Vaders:

1: Bespin Duel SAGA
2: Throne Room Duel SAGA
3: Dagobah POTJ

I don't think any of the others come close. :) So I'm hoping for a kick-*** Vader in the OTC.

jjreason
02-18-2004, 12:33 AM
I think the "vintage" super poseable one will have us all nicely sorted out. :)