PDA

View Full Version : Metroid: Zero Mission

James Boba Fettfield
02-06-2004, 02:04 AM
The idea of classic games being revamped for newer systems to introduce new players to the beginnings of video game franchises is nothing new. Metroid: Zero Mission is just that. The retelling of the 1986 Metroid game is what Zero Mission is all about. The game begins with Samus explaining to us why this was her Zero Mission, and from there on out we're introduced to somewhat familiar surroundings. You know, run left and get yourself the morph ball sort of thing.

The game is short, though, much like Metroid Fusion. Nothing groundbreaking has been added to this retelling, except for the additional scenario takced on after the destruction of Mother Brain. It's a cool part of the game and gives more reason to play the game even if you have mastered the original.

The game's difficulty was not very great on the normal setting. Bosses Ridley and Kraid acted like they did in Super Metroid, but with quicker deaths. A few supper missiles do them both in rather shortly. The revamped boss in this game would be the Mother Brain. This brain doesn't just sit there letting you shoot it while automated guns fire at you. This brain has an attack all it's own. Not too difficult of a fight if you have enough energy tanks.

If you enjoyed playing Metroid Fusion, then I'd recommend this one. My total time playing through it once to beat it was about 3 hours 45 minutes with 63% items collected. There's a hard setting to beat the game on, and some other unlockables. I unlocked an art gallery, I believe it was. I also unlocked the original Metroid game. There's obviously some replay value to the game, like every other Metroid, if you want to unlock everything and have 100% completion.

I'm curious to hear what others think about the game once they have gotten some play time with it.

Oh, and one other change I noticed about this game. Remember in the original you could freeze a metroid and get off the 5 missiles to kill it with ease. The metroids in this version stay frozen for about a fraction of that original time, making the quest to kill them off a bit more difficult. I had three of them running me down at one point because I decided it would be best to jump into this big room and take them on. Big mistake, but I'll let you find that out for yourself once you play the game.