PDA

View Full Version : Luke Skywalker Holograph

rherk
02-06-2004, 08:09 AM
There are goofy figures and then there are GOOFY figures. Holograph Luke is the later. As far as action figures go, there is only one that tops this with over the top ridiculousness and that is that real bizarre “disco” Skeletor figure from the new Masters of the Universe line (I know you’ve all seen this one on the shelves. He has an array of bright sparkly colors). Anyways, back to Luke.

This is much less a holograph figure then it is a purple Luke. Basically, what you get is a Jabbas Palace figure with a slightly transparent purple plastic. To me this figure looks like a strange “knock-off”.

I have really enjoyed the recent product Hasbro has been putting out lately but this one is a real loser. If you are a completest like me, then go ahead and spend the five bucks. You’ll at least get a good laugh.

Kidhuman
02-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Dude, can you post a pic of it? I would love to see it close up and all.

Beast
02-06-2004, 10:04 AM
I like it myself. Always hated the all blue hologram figures. While it's not perfect, it's far superior from the basic holo figure. Luke: Hologram in the movie did look quite a bit like this. He wasn't clear blue, he was blues, purples, and muted flesh tones. So I think it works fairly well for what it is. :)

Holographic Luke vs. Jedi Knight Luke (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=3232&text=&imageid=8356&box=&shownew=)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
02-06-2004, 10:23 AM
i actually like the old style blue holographic figures. a holographic figure should be vaguely 'see through' but this one of luke just looks like its been painted in lots of bright colours. i don't think looks anything like the holographic luke from rotj. i used to be a complete completist but hasbro making figures like this has cured me.

rherk
02-06-2004, 10:29 AM
I also liked the old style clear blue figures. I think it translated much better in plastic then trying to incorporate all the colors and textures. It just didn't work for me.

sith_killer_99
02-06-2004, 12:19 PM
I hate this figure!

I much prefer the older style holo figures. This thing is hidious, loose joints, ugly colors, poorly sculpted and yes, I bought one.

I haven't hated a figure this bad since the begining of the SAGA line AKA the death of my "Complete" collection. I am seriously considering taking te thing back! :mad: :Pirate:

Jayspawn
02-06-2004, 02:10 PM
I dont like the new Holo Luke either. I'e always been perfectly happy with the blue Holographic figures. The new Holo Luke should be able to have his hands at his side like he did in the movie.

We still need Holographic Senator Palpatine!

Kidhuman
02-06-2004, 02:41 PM
This figure IMO is downright nasty. I too like the older style "deodarant stick" holo figures. This Luke looks quirky. His face reminds me of the girl with no mouth from The Twilight Zone Movie.

DarkArtist
02-06-2004, 04:28 PM
I myself actually happen to like the figure. :) True it is not movie accurate in pose but all in all it's what I expected to come from Hasbro. I can't understand why people are bashing this figure since the reviews on the Jabba's Palace Luke were overall positive. If people felt that the Jabba's palace Luke was good, then why are people complaining about this figure? :confused:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2004, 05:25 PM
I just got the regular Luke the other day, so I haven't yet seen this. From this picture, however, I think it looks good. That's how he looked in the movie, same as the spirits (hopefully the new Obi-Wan will look like this). The holo Sidious from a few years back had a painted face, just like this Luke, so I don't really see the big deal here. Sure it looks a little different, but it's how it shold look. And unless he has different arms from the Jedi Luke, he can hold them at his sides. :)

sith_killer_99
02-06-2004, 06:36 PM
I can't understand why people are bashing this figure since the reviews on the Jabba's Palace Luke were overall positive. If people felt that the Jabba's palace Luke was good, then why are people complaining about this figure?

I still haven't found the Jabba's Palace Luke, so I will reserve my judgement until I have one.

The holo Sidious from a few years back had a painted face, just like this Luke, so I don't really see the big deal here. Sure it looks a little different, but it's how it shold look.

The holo Sidious from EP1 had very little paint used only to accentuate the wrinkles in his face. It is a far cry form this monstrosity. However, poorly executed coloring aside, there are still the issues of loose joints (on a figure that for once does not really require articulation...isn't that ironic) and the horrible likeness...he looks more like Jake Lloyd than Mark Hammil. LOL

I really do prefer the older style holo figures.

slick169
02-06-2004, 08:44 PM
I also like the old holograpic spirits but I think this is a new twist, without being a rehash, and I like the figure. I looked at the regular Jabba Luke Jedi and wasn't impressed. I like my vintage one better with the brown softgoods cape.

Hellboy
02-14-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm a fan of some of the old style Holographic figures too but I'm not opposed to them having some color to them either since they looked this way in the films. I just think they over did it on this one and as a result there is a lack of transparency. I hope they fix this on the Obi-Wan Hologram when its released. Overall not a terrible figure but I still can't recommend him.

Grade: C-

Jaff
02-14-2004, 07:24 PM
I am one of those that will bash this figure. I am a great fan of the earlier hologram figures like Sideous, and the three pack frosted Jedi Spirits. However this new Luke is made of dark plastic which isn't much of a holograph, and the color mix of this figure is awful. I did like the Jabba palace Luke, but the assimilation of this figure to hologram does not look right at all. I bought this figure because I am a classic trilogy completist. It is one of the worse figures in the line if you ask me. A straight F.

plasticfetish
03-18-2004, 02:17 AM
Hmmmmm.
I wanted to remain optimistic about this one until I saw it in person. Today I did finally see it hanging on a peg... where I left it for someone else.

I can't argue with any of the negative things that anyone's written about this figure. It looked cheap and poorly thought out. This one seemed like it was going to be pretty good from the prototype photos, but the paint job that I saw today was terrible. It accented the fact that the plastic isn't transparent enough, and looks more like recycled or "end of day" plastic than anything else. Yeah... It looks like a bootleg toy.

The worst thing about the Jabba's Palace Luke, is that it feels a bit flimsy. This one looks flimsy, so it must feel like it's made of gummi bears or something. I suppose, unless I see one that's painted much better, that I'll never know.

Final word... darn!

Dr Zoltar
03-19-2004, 04:29 PM
I wanted to remain optimistic about this one until I saw it in person. Today I did finally see it hanging on a peg... where I left it for someone else.
I did the same thing today. Saw it for the first time at Target and almost bought it. But it looked so bad that I left it for someone else. It was tough to do because I really wanted to like it, but what got me was the hands. They almost looked like the material gummi bears are made of.

plasticfetish
03-19-2004, 04:41 PM
They really should have just made the figure out of Gummi material, that way if you open it and still hate it... you can just eat it. No complete loss. :)

Kidhuman
03-20-2004, 12:12 AM
I saw him for the first time too yesterday and I caved and got him. I dunno why, cause I really didnt like him from the photos and all. Just something abut holo figures that attract me to them. I think they are kind of cool