PDA

View Full Version : Lando Skiff disguise

rherk
02-06-2004, 08:26 AM
A little less then a year ago, Hasbro was producing some of the worst Star Wars figures of all time, with silly poses and action features many fans were becoming very frustrated with their hobby, passion, love.

It is safe to say the dark times are over (at least for now). Lando skiff disguise may in fact be the best Star Wars figure ever!

The sculpt and paint are wonderful. Lando has a very neutral pose. The paint aps. Are brilliant. Lando also comes with the appropriate accessories. A skiff gun, staff (which is a little flimsy) and a helmet that fits like a glove. Landos helmet is made of a soft rubber to form fit his head and it looks exactly like it did on film.

The articulation is limited like most Star Wars figures. However he has a wonderful ball jointed neck.

To add to all the excitement of this figure, put him next to the POTF2 Lando Skiff and get ready for a shocking difference.

This is the kind of attention of detail I demand for all Star Wars figures. Figures like Lando Skiff disguise will ensure Hasbro my money for years to come.

CrossWizard
02-06-2004, 09:09 AM
I agree, great figure, it's the kind that makes me wish for more old POTF2 Jabba's Palace resculpts like Bib Fortuna and Weequay.

Kidhuman
02-06-2004, 09:30 AM
I cant wait to find this figure. Thanks for the review

jedibear
02-06-2004, 07:33 PM
This is a very good version of Lando. I don't mind the "re-do's" if they truly improve on what came before and this one delivers.
I agree with crosswizard...the time has come for a resculpt of Bib Fortuna. I always hated that strange spilt robe thing and Hasbro's proven lately they can do good looking robes. Here's hoping....

AmanaMatt
02-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Ok, I just bought the new Skiff Lando today and gotta say: He Rocks !

At ten points of articulation, this figure has enough to really allow a great range of movement. As to the sculpt: WOW. Very, very well done - the wrinkles, the face, the separate skirt, three accessories and a killer paint job really take this fig up a notch. I would say this is one of the few times that the final product looks better than what we see on the cardback. The helmet fits on Lando's head perfectly, the gun goes in the holseter perfectly and Lando can hold the staff in several ways...this is near perfection.

For those that want critical comments: the only issue is that Lando's neck does not match his face and hands, but once the helmet goes on, you cannot tell at all.

This new and highly improved Lando fig gets an easy 'A' in my book. OK, I'm off to melt down the POTF2 one now...

Jayspawn
02-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Good review.

I'm actually perfectly happy with the POTF2 Lando -I think it looks great.

I'll have to see the new version in person.

Reefer Shark
02-10-2004, 08:40 PM
I just found one of these guys today (amidst a gang of hoth soldiers). Holy crap this is a great figure! It really is as awesome as you all are saying here. Fantastic job by Hasbro.

Hey Amanamatt,
The neck color on mine actually matches pretty good. I wonder if they made a production change on this one?

DarthQuack
02-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Nice review, I am looking forward to picking up this figure.

-Matt

AmanaMatt
02-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Hey Amanamatt,
The neck color on mine actually matches pretty good. I wonder if they made a production change on this one?

I am glad to hear it. Mine may have just been a goof. Overall, best Lando ever, IMO.

bobafrett
02-14-2004, 10:21 AM
I saw TRU had some of the 12" figures for around $10. However when I went and scanned the Lando, he came up at $19.99. I already own one, but as a boxed collector, I only open the figures that I get on clearance. I really want to get a Lando in skiff outfit to open.

Reefer Shark
02-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey Bobafrett,
I think this thread is about the small figure (at lest that's what I was talking about anyways) :)

Funny though, I did the same thing with the 12" Lando. Was really exited when I saw that $9.99 tag. But then the scanner revealed the ugly truth.....

bobafrett
02-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey Bobafrett,
I think this thread is about the small figure (at lest that's what I was talking about anyways) :)

Sorry, my bad, I didn't see a size designation, so I assumed it was the 12" figure. I mean I haven't even seen the 3 3/4 inch Lando at any retail locations.
:cry: Good thing though as I'm near broke as it is.

JediTricks
05-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Hello 3 months later! :p It's probably a good thing I didn't know how long ago you guys reviewed this figure or I might have not bothered doing my own for this week's SSG review. And speaking of which, here is said review of Lando Skiff (and hopefully somebody might notice how it's a bit more succinct than my usual reviews):

Cardplayer, scoundrel, skiff guard... today's review is of Lando Jabba's Sail Barge, another resculpt from POTF2 - one worth tracking down.

It's been 7 years since the POTF2 Lando Skiff figure was released, and while this reviewer doesn't remember many collectors asking for an update here, Hasbro has gone ahead with one anyway. The original was a good figure for its time, but everything on this Saga version has been updated, so how does it stack up against the original - and more importantly - as a modern figure on its own?

Packaging: 3/5
This is the standard Saga gold-border packaging, and normally I give this packaging a 3.5 out of 5, but the packaging here takes a half-point hit due to the tray being such a horror in retrieving the helmet and stand from; the only clear-band here is used to hold the gun in the figure's hand though. Visually, the insert's movie photo is used again for the cardback image in reverse, but it's a fair likeness of Billy Dee's helmeted mug. The prototype images show the figure with the helmet on and off, as well as holding and not holding the vibro-axe, so at least they're trying.

Sculpting: 4.5/5
Comparing this figure to the POTF2 version gives the impression that the older figure is based off a cartoon, Saga Lando is not a burly muscleman anymore, he's got an intricate, detailed new sculpt that is much more natural and accurate. The costume elements are all very nice, the only possible exception being the holster that's part of the rubbery 'skirt', it's a little too big, simple and blocky. Most of the articulation is well-integrated, except for the various mid-arm points which are a tad obvious.

The head sculpt is the best likeness of the character yet, but due to the ball-jointed head articulation, the jaw line is a little too big and square; that articulation also allows the head to come off too easily. The neck seems a bit too long, again probably due to the odd articulation -- at first I thought this was also why the figure is a bit too tall, but closer inspection finds the whole body at fault. My only other issue is that the figure seems a bit thin-lipped.

Pose: 4/5
Lando has a natural, relaxed, neutral pose about him, the upper-body articulation makes for some good standing around poses as well as a few key action poses, such as blasting away and wielding the vibro-axe; the legs aren't terribly versatile, but don't really need to be. Lando is another recent Saga figure that has no trouble standing on his own. The right hand is in a gun-holding pose that tilts forward a little and has a separate trigger finger. The eyes glancing left cause a slight challenge in posing, but it does add a sense of mystery to the guy. My biggest complaint is the bent left arm with its thumbs-up pose.

Paint: 4/5
In general, the paint here is good work that really captures the look of the outfit. The POTF2 figure used a dull gold color for the metal armor elements, while this Saga version uses a dark silver color - it's not bad, but relies on the sculpting to suggest weathering. The rubbery skirt has a subtle paint wash to give it life, but sadly this and the helmet are the only parts to use that process. The pants and boots are not sloppy, but the paint seems thick.

Hasbro was able to match the color of the fleshtone plastic with the painted elements quite nicely, their record here has been spotty in the past but it's been picking up lately. The ball-joint at the top of the neck unfortunately isn't painted, so sometimes you can see the reddish brown plastic underneath; similarly, the right forearm is cast in fleshtone plastic and isn't fully painted where it meets the elbow piece. My last issue is the hair, it's too dark, the paint's a little thick, and it often goes beyond the hairline.

Articulation: 4/5
Saga Lando Skiff bests his POTF2 ancestor by 4 points of articulation, bringing the number to 10: ball-jointed head, standard shoulders, diagonal-cut elbows, rotate mid-forearms, standard waist and hips. I don't always find Hasbro's use of the ball-jointed head to be successful, but it adds a lot of character here without being too outlandish (at least till the head comes clean off). The right arm has enough extra articulation so it can be straightened, for me this is a key feature to any figure with this kind of articulation, yet the left arm - which shares this articulation style - is lacking that ability; granted, it's useful enough to have Lando hitchhiking or holding his axe, but no straight left arm. Universal-jointed shoulders like Saga Dengar's would have been nice too, but Lando's got decent range none the less.

Accessories: 4/5
Lando Skiff comes with a helmet, vibro-axe, blaster pistol, and a generic stand. On the one hand, the new accessories (the axe & helmet) have great sculpts, but on the other hand, they're the most rubbery we've seen in a while. The pistol is the same design that came with Luke Jabba's Palace, only this one is cast in flat black and has no paint at all; it fits nicely in the holster, but one wonders why they gave Lando a separate trigger finger when the pistol cannot accommodate it. The vibro-axe is the same length as the POTF2 version, but leaner and with a much sharper sculpt. The axe needs better color though, again no paint and it's cast in the same color as the blaster pistol -- but unlike the pistol, the axe is as flimsy as a strand of cooked spaghetti making it difficult to hold 2-handed without warping.

Unlike the vibro-axe, the helmet is rubbery because it's made out of rubber, it's made from the same material as the 'skirt'. This helmet is much smaller than the POTF2 version and thus it's much more in scale with the figure; this and the material allow for recreating the "Lando revealed" shot, but also make it difficult to remove the helmet without taking the head along with it. The helmet has some great detailed paint and weathering except for the use of light orange at the mask parts -- maybe if they had added weathering here too it might have worked, but as it is now it's an odd note.

Overall: A-
If you're happy with the POTF2 figure or just dislike resculpts then this Lando Skiff probably won't be for you, but you'd be missing out on a very cool figure and a quality update. I'm not thrilled about flimsy accessories and the easily-removed head, but if you can get past those issues, this is a must-have addition to the Saga line and a great piece for nearly any modern collection.

Kidhuman
05-08-2004, 12:14 AM
Lando Skiff comes with a vibro-axe

He does? Could of fooled me. :p :beard:

JediTricks
05-09-2004, 04:10 PM
HA! :D Yours is invisible, you can tell because there's a spot in the bubble tray that fits its shape. ;)