PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Aladdin: Platinum Edition DVD - Oct. 5th!!

Beast
02-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Disney has just announced Aladdin for release in a 2-disc Platinum Edition, to be released on October 5th. It will feature similar treatment as the last 2 releases. 2-Disc Keepcase w/ Cardboard slipcase. And will including some altered animation to background characters to look better with the detail of DVD and Home Theater. It also will feature a new song, that was cut from the film before it's was released, called "Proud of Your boy" featuring Aladdin's Mother. The following news is from DavisDVD, Yahoo, and Variety. No cover art yet, but should turn up soon. :)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment uncorks the genie bottle on October 5th with the first-ever DVD release of Aladdin. The 1992 blockbuster will mark the fourth animated classic to be released under Disney's Platinum Series banner, following on the heels of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. The two-disc set will boast a newly restored anamorphic video transfer and a Dolby Digital 5.1 enhanced home theater sound mix. According to Disney, more than 20% of the original artwork has been enhanced for the new digital transfer, with some characters redrawn to add more facial detail and backgrounds and starfields touched up for color and detail. Bonus materials are set to include two audio commentary tracks, a making-of documentary, a pop-up trivia subtitle track, design and still galleries, deleted sequences (including the musical number "Proud of Your Boy" by Oscar-winning songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken with newly completed animation), storyboards, pencil tests, a virtual carpet ride, a 3D tour of Genie's lamp, sing-along songs, set-top games, musical postcards, "A Whole New World" music video by Disney Channel stars, trailers, DVD-ROM material and more. Retail will be $29.99.

'Aladdin' pops DVD cork a decade after its debut
Thu Feb 5, 7:00 PM ET SCOTT HETTRICK

After spending the past 10 years locked in a Disney bottle, "Aladdin" (and Genie) will become part of a whole new homevideo world on Oct. 5, when the Disney toon makes its debut on DVD.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment is giving retailers a nine-month heads-up to make way for Prince Ali and the big blue genie voiced by Robin Williams.

After generating another $120 million and $160 million in consumer spending via first-time DVD editions of "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Lion King," respectively, the past two holiday seasons, Disney has equally high hopes for "Aladdin."

BVHE president Robert Chapek says the unusually long advance notice also allows the studio time to set up one of its biggest marketing campaigns ever and finish work on the two-disc DVD Platinum special edition ($29.99) that will feature the most advanced set-top interactivities yet.

Interviews have yet to be recorded for bonus features, but the studio is hoping Williams will be involved in the extras. Among the voice impersonations Williams provided that were not used in the movie were W.C. Fields, President George H.W. Bush, John Wayne, Sylvester Stallone, and George C. Scott as Patton.

The 1992 film, which has been off the market entirely for 10 years, has been newly restored for its inaugural digital presentation and 5.1 surround sound and enhanced home theater sound mix.

To accommodate the sharper DVD image quality, more than 20% of the original artwork has been enhanced, with some characters redrawn to add more facial detail, and backgrounds in many scenes have been touched up for color and detail. Stars in the sky presented perhaps the biggest challenge, with a total of 92 star scenes reworked to be more believable on the TV screen.

Among the bonus features is a deleted song called "Proud of Your Boy" by Oscar-winning songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken set to newly produced animation, as well as two audio commentaries.

Interactivities include a virtual carpet ride; a 3-D tour of Genie's lamp; games; an option for pop-up trivia presented during the film; musical postcards; sing-along songs; and a new musicvideo of "A Whole New World" by Disney Channel stars.

Disney Uncorks 'Aladdin' DVD
Fri Feb 6, 3:26 AM ET By Brett Sporich

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The Walt Disney Co. is restoring the 1992 animated feature "Aladdin" for its Oct. 5 DVD debut, studio executives said.

"The marketing campaign is going to be even bigger than we had for 'Finding Nemo,"' said Robert Chapek, president of Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment arm.

"Aladdin" marks the third title to be released in Disney's DVD Platinum Series, following the reissues of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "The Lion King."

"Snow White" has sold about 7 million combined DVD and VHS units to consumers since its fall 2001 rerelease, and "The Lion King" has topped 11 million since its reissue last year.

"The October release time frame has provided us with the longest legs on such titles," Chapek said. "It gives us big initial sales, and then these classic titles tend to get a second sales boost during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday shopping season."

Featuring a remixed 5.1 surround sound home theater track, the "Aladdin" double-disc DVD also will include a deleted song called "Proud of Your Boy" by Academy Award-winning songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken. The film features the voices of Robin Williams, Scott Weinger, Linda Larkin, Jonathan Freeman and Gilbert Gottfried.

"The song was edited out of the first version," Chapek said, "but we're planning to bring it back along with the original pencil test drawings of a scene featuring Aladdin's mother."

He added that Disney already has lined up at least nine major cross-marketing partners, including McDonald's, Kellogg's, Mattel, Fisher-Price and Kleenex.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-07-2004, 08:59 AM
The biggest question about the release, is whether the original lyrics for the song will be retained. Or they edited lyrics featured on the Laserdisc and VHS releases will be the ones featured. In 1992 Arab Anti-Defamation groups, used Aladdin as proof of anti-arab bias in Hollywood films. Disney met with the groups, and promised to change the lyrics to an earlier version that had been written by Alan Menken. And it was changed, but unfortunatly they didn't even try to get Robin Williams back in the recording studio so it just sounds badly done. :(

Original Lyrics - First Stanza:
Oh, I come from a land from a faraway place
Where the caravan camels roam
Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face
It's barbaric, but hey! it's home!

Altered Lyrics - First Stanza:
Oh, I come from a land from a faraway place
Where the caravan camels roam
Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense
It's barbaric, but hey! it's home!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-07-2004, 09:15 AM
I remember that whole controversey with the song lyrics, JJB. I remember that my original tape soundtrack has the original lyrics and if memory serves, don't all the recordings of the soundtrack still have the original lyrics?

The idea of some of the characters being redrawn with more detail and whatnot kinda worries me; i just hope they don't go all Lucas/Spielberg and add in all sorts of crazy crap that wasn't there or take stuff out.

"I didn't know Aladdin was actually holding a walkie talkie instead of his sword in his fight with Jafaar!" :crazed:

Beast
02-07-2004, 09:22 AM
New versions of the soundtrack, supposedly have the new lyrics. Just the first versions have the old. I don't get how that makes things better, since they kept they line saying it's barbaric. You know poltics and crap though, it never makes any sense to anyone. I don't care which line they use, but if it's the second....for the love of god get Williams to rerecord it so it matches. :stupid:

As for redrawn characters, they did the same thing with Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. To fix some errors and some artwork that didn't match the rest of the movie, because it was rushed. Check your VHS if you have it, and look at some of the background characters. I don't blame them, especially since it's director supervised, and normally done by the original animators. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Hey, Aladdin was my favorite movie when I was 3 or so. That movie is great, I still have some of the figures and stuff. I may have to get the DVD. :)

JJB, or anyone, do you have pictures of the difference between the old and new animationed characters from Beauty and the Beast or Lion King? I just want to see if it'll be messed up.

Beast
02-08-2004, 09:36 AM
JJB, or anyone, do you have pictures of the difference between the old and new animationed characters from Beauty and the Beast or Lion King? I just want to see if it'll be messed up.
I couldn't find all the pictures. But I really don't consider it a mess up. They just fixed some art that wasn't finalized when the movie was ready to be released. Here is a good example. The first picture, the crocs and birds from the 'Just can't wait to be king' scene of Lion King. Now if you know the scene, it's very stylized and cartoony. But yet these crocs and birds look very realistic, more in line with the rest of the toon. So they altered the appearance of the crocs and birds, to better fit the more toonish animation of the 'Just can't wait to be king' musical number. And I just found a comparison pic of the old and new waterfalls. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Hey, thanks. :)

Yeesh . . . the first crocs look (IMO) ten times better. But that's just me. I like the new waterfall though. Hopefully they use the re-animation sparingly on Aladdin.

Kidhuman
02-08-2004, 02:04 PM
I agree, the first crocs look tons better. The waterfall looks a hundred times better.

Aladdin is probably my favorite Disney movie of recent times.(although its pretty old). I might just have to buy this one.

Beast
02-08-2004, 02:26 PM
I don't understand why you guys are saying the old crocs look better. Check out the 'Just Can't Wait To Be King' musical number. All the animals during the song are more cartoony and stylized then during the rest of the film. That's why they changed the crocs to match the rest of the animation that bookends it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2004, 05:44 PM
I guess I can understand it, but I still don't like it. It reminds me of an old book from second grade, about a guy whose house gets messed up by a bird carrying a paint can. So he decides and encourages others to redecorate his house. Good God, I hate the pictures from that book. And the new crocs remind me of that, for some reason. Not really sure why.