PDA

View Full Version : Would you watch a TPM re-edit?

JON9000
02-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I would be curious to see this...

From Salon.com, by Daniel Kraus

The edit begins with the famous yellow scroll across the starry sky, only this time the scroll reads, in part:

"... Being someone of the 'George Lucas Generation' I have re-edited a standard VHS version of "The Phantom Menace," into what I believe is a much stronger film by relieving the viewer of as much story redundancy, Anakin action and dialog, and Jar Jar Binks as possible."

(Lucas' perplexing opening paragraph about "trade relations" and the "Imperial Senate" is gone. And we don't miss it because it wasn't necessary. Already, "The Phantom Edit" is making improvements.)

Twenty minutes have been cut from the original 133, and as a result the film is tighter and faster. Jar-Jar, who has been demoted to an almost silent supporting role, is actually enjoyable. (A different "Phantom Edit" has dubbed over Jar-Jar with an alien voice, giving him subtitled dialogue that turns the gibbering idiot into a wise sage, spouting pearls like "Children and fools ask more questions" and "Pride can blind you from the truth.") Likewise, young Anakin -- whose shouts of "Yahoo!" and "Whoopee!" made many "Star Wars" fans grimace -- is a thoughtful, much quieter protagonist.

Although entire extraneous sequences are missing (the journey to and from Jar-Jar's underwater home have been sliced), most of the changes are simply felt rather than individually noticed, as is the case with any good edit. The Phantom Editor has smartly taken advantage of Lucas' trademark "wipes" (a scene transition that scoots a new scene in from one edge of the screen to the other) to duck out of scenes early.

Beast
02-09-2004, 11:30 AM
No thanks. Noone but the origanal creator has a right to edit or change his movie. All this ammounts to is censoring and butchering of a film against the director/creator's wishes. Maybe they can start burning books they don't agree with also. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-09-2004, 11:45 AM
I really enjoy TPM and think it is a marvelous movie, so no need for me to watch The Phantom Edit :)

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
02-09-2004, 01:08 PM
That's just as wrong as that organization that edits movies to eliminate all sex/drugs/language/nudity/violence.... that they deam unsuitable. God forbid any of those folks make it into the Louvre with a can of paint.

Darth Trymybestus
02-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Heck no! Unless Lucas is the one that edits it! I enjoyed the DVD edition with the added Coruscant scene.

When I heard of the Phantom Edit, I laughed. It's ridiculous to go cutting scenes out of movies. I love it how they cut parts of the scrolling text because they say it isn't "necessary". I think it's very necessary, it wouldn't be there if it wasn't. It does set up the movie afterall.

If these goons want to edit the Phantom Menace, let them do so. I'll continue to enjoy my DVD edition, edited by George Lucas and Ben Burtt. :)

JON9000
02-09-2004, 02:02 PM
No thanks. Noone but the origanal creator has a right to edit or change his movie. All this ammounts to is censoring and butchering of a film against the director/creator's wishes. Maybe they can start burning books they don't agree with also. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I think of this as more akin to an artist doing a cover version of another artist's song or doing a remix. I think if you are doing it at home just for fun and you come out with something you think is superior, you haven't hurt anyone. I think the problem starts when you start distributing it on a massive level (assuming it cuts into sales, but lets face it, anyone who would want to see a TPM re-edit probably already has the regular DVD). Besides, "Star Wars" has been the inspiration for many fan works of all kinds.

2-1B
02-09-2004, 02:07 PM
George's cut may not be a masterpiece . . . but why the hell would I jump to the edit of some hump like this ?

So this dork has some problems with TPM and wants to edit it down for himself. Fine. :)
He should look at his own life and get out the editing tools, first scene to cut would be:
"overzealous fan promotes personal edit of sci-fi film over the internet"
That's the first part to cut.

Oh, one more plotline he may want to reconsider (and of course it is a he because no woman would be this stupid) is the part about an idiot who so loathes a movie yet feels compelled to devote such time and energy to making it better. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
02-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Nope. I think it is just fine for my tastes. Oh, did Obi kill Maul in yours first?

stillakid
02-09-2004, 05:50 PM
George's cut may not be a masterpiece . . . but why the hell would I jump to the edit of some hump like this ?

So this dork has some problems with TPM and wants to edit it down for himself. Fine. :)
He should look at his own life and get out the editing tools, first scene to cut would be:
"overzealous fan promotes personal edit of sci-fi film over the internet"
That's the first part to cut.

Oh, one more plotline he may want to reconsider (and of course it is a he because no woman would be this stupid) is the part about an idiot who so loathes a movie yet feels compelled to devote such time and energy to making it better. :rolleyes:

I have to admit that I have plans to do this as well at some undefined point in the future. When I have spare time. ;) But I don't disagree with the fundamental idea of taking someone else's work and chipping away at it to make it "better" is okay. Nobody is perfect and there is almost always room for improvement. Why else would George have done the Special Editions?

That last paragraph of yours caught my eye specifically though. Why would someone spend time on something they hate? My answer to that is "to make it into something they like!" Or at least make it closer to watchable. As I've said many times, George wasn't too far off the mark with TPM and AOTC. But what he forgot to do with both was to have a qualified writer polish his random mess of a story. Even the small changes in the AOTC IMAX release made a world of difference to that one...and those were done by someone else with his blessing! If only the same IMAX guys could have gotten ahold of TPM we might be having a different discussion right now.

Anyhow, George is the one who has been crusading to change Hollywood into a digital world so ultimately he has to saddle some of the responsibility for putting this technology into the hands of lowly fanboy consumers, like you and me. Had TPM and AOTC been closer to perfect, then it wouldn't matter. I won't speak for anyone else, but because I see room for improvement in the Prequels, and because I have access to the technology to effect change, I will do so. If nothing else, I'll have the satisfaction of being able to tighten the story up and cut out the extraneous garbage that any qualified writer would have done at the script stage. I doubt that I'll make a major announcement about it, but when that day comes, I'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside with my bowl of popcorn and a 3 hour "Prequel" flickering on the Telly. :D

JediTricks
02-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Lucas himself once thought he could edit a better version of ESB, so he sat down and made his own cut (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19203) that was supposedly unwatchably bad. After calming down and taking his ego out of the equation, he realized that his version was far from superior to what was intended for the film.

In TPM, Lucas filmed and edited the final battle sequence pretty much the way the script had it, but upon viewing this work felt it quite lacking, so he asked Spielberg to come in and take a stab at it. Supposedly, the end of the film is mostly from Spielberg's edits and suggestions, changing a lot of timings and removing chunks of dialogue and action.

What do these things tell me? That Lucas himself doesn't believe he's always the best editor for the finished product, so there's no reason for me to either. I believe Lucas has a lot of ideas that spring from a fertile imagination as well as the ability to borrow from a diverse, broad background of culture, stories and cinema, but anybody can become too close to something to the point where they lack the objectivity required to finish it and I firmly believe Lucas is in this boat and suffering from an overall lack of challenges and lack of strong opponents within his own trusted circle.

So, I would not be averse to seeing another cut of the film, though unless it was LFL-approved as it was with the IMAX cut of AOTC, I wouldn't pay money to see it.

2-1B
02-10-2004, 01:49 AM
I have to admit that I have plans to do this as well at some undefined point in the future. When I have spare time. ;)

Absolutely, go for it. :)

Hey, if I can figure out how to splice Greedo firing first into my future DVD or the old Sarlaac, then I might consider that as well. :)

If I hear about you spreading it around the internet as some sort of snooty wannabe editor, then I'm gonna call you out on it. :D

That last paragraph of yours caught my eye specifically though. Why would someone spend time on something they hate? My answer to that is "to make it into something they like!" Or at least make it closer to watchable.

I see your point and know what you're saying . . . but where's the line? This guy cut about 15% of the movie and at some point you just have to move on and leave it be.

I'm no purist here, I use my FF button fairly often when I need to do an "edit" of my own.
And I'm certainly not specifically defending George because quite frankly some of his edits make me scratch my head at times.

It's just that this whole thing about an amateur taking a finished film and re-editing it for the internet world smacks of Sour Grapes and frankly it annoys me. :)

stillakid
02-10-2004, 12:34 PM
It's just that this whole thing about an amateur taking a finished film and re-editing it for the internet world smacks of Sour Grapes and frankly it annoys me. :)

Hmm, where do you draw the line? Well, when it's done. :) But as you allude to, there is a point where you have to stop. Some of the ideas that I have to make TPM into a truly great film would require additional linking footage to make it work. Unless I can get access to to actors and sets, that ain't going to happen so I just have to work with what is out there already.

I can see why this "sour grapes" thing might be annoying, but no matter how you personally feel about the Prequels, you have to admit that there is a sizable portion of the audience out there who were moderately to greatly disappointed in George's creation. While SSG tends to lean toward the side of blind fanatical support of everything he does, I think that there are more people out there who would appreciate seeing positive alterations in the films so that they don't have to use the fast-forward button or ignore the Prequels altogther. Making such an edited version available is a public service to those without the means or time to do such a thing themselves.

:)