PDA

View Full Version : "The Batman" swoops onto Kids WB!!

Beast
02-09-2004, 10:46 AM
From Toonzone:

Warner Bros. Animation will produce The Batman, a new animated series based on the DC Comics character, for Kids WB and Cartoon Network, the studio formally announced today.

The series, which will feature a continuity unrelated to the classic Batman: The Animated Series, will be about a young Batman in the third year of his crime-fighting career as he struggles to establish himself as the protector of Gotham City while balancing his crime-fighting role with his public persona as billionaire bachelor Bruce Wayne. Such classic Rogue's Gallery villains as the Joker, the Penguin, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, the Riddler and the Man-Bat will appear in stories that detail Batman's first encounters with them.

Batman himself, who will be in his mid-twenties, will live beneath elevated train tracks and within a 150-year-old drainage system, battling adversaries with experimental Bat-gadgets and amped-up Batmobiles. His arsenal of equipment will all be operated and linked by an advanced remote-controlled invention he dubs the "Bat-Wave."

The series' theme song will be performed by U2 member The Edge. No other details of cast or crew have been announced, but Variety confirms that Adam West will appear as the Mayor and that Gina Gershon will voice Catwoman.

"To me, this is a dream project. Batman is the ultimate action-adventure property, and I've been a fan all of my life," says Sam Register, senior vice president of original animation at Cartoon Network. "The characters will remain true to their heritage, but we're going to deliver an action-adventure show that will feel so fresh and stylish that today's kids will love it as much as we all did growing up. I think this new Batman animated series will be a show that kids and their parents will watch together."
http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=102021

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2004, 12:19 PM
I've been waiting for the next Batman cartoon since Beyond finished production. The details have arrived finally and I am pleased. Justice League and Teen Titans do not give me my superhero fix, hopefully this cartoon will.

Long live Batman, the greatest hero ever!

Beast
02-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Worst thing about this news for me, is I'll never see the series. My cable company doesn't carry WB. So I've never seen the last season and a half of X-Men: Evolution even. Thankfully they're slowly releasing those on DVD. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I'll have to wake up on Saturday mornings, that's bad news for me.

I'm reminded of Miller's Batman character (or Janson, however you want to phrase it) as I look at these pictures. Too bad I can't view this series as a part of the Bruce Timm Batman universe, so perfect it was.

I wonder what kind of toys will come about because of this. Batman, it has been too long. I feel a Batman theme coming on.

Beast
02-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Well, Mattel is doing the toy line for it. So I have a feeling we'll get 20 Batman's for every villian that gets released. And no secondary characters at all. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2004, 01:01 PM
I think I saw a picture of a Batman toy on the cover of a ToyFare that resembled this Batman. Looked good.

Well, it can't be any worse than the Batman Beyond line. I think there might of been two villians offered for the whole line. Blight and a Joker fellow. Well, I suppose I can just be content with the cartoon for now.

Darth Trymybestus
02-09-2004, 02:47 PM
It should be the other way round. One Batman for every 20 villains. There are so many good villains in the Batman world. In my opinion, the villains are what make Batman what it is.

JediTricks
02-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Batman himself, who will be in his mid-twenties, will live beneath elevated train tracks and within a 150-year-old drainage system, battling adversaries with experimental Bat-gadgets and amped-up Batmobiles. His arsenal of equipment will all be operated and linked by an advanced remote-controlled invention he dubs the "Bat-Wave."Oh lordy do I not like the sound of this paragraph. Why not have him be a mutant with bat-radar powers as well?

I wish they had just taken the Batman character from the Justice League show and spun him into his own thing.

Beast
02-11-2004, 03:09 AM
Cast news, and a picture of the Mattel Batman and a tease of the Joker. Not sure I like the design of the Joker. Looks too....crazy, I guess would be the best way of putting it. Well, we'll see more at Toy Fair. Maybe it will look better. :)

Animated The Batman Voice Cast
Source: Zap2it Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Zap2it has more on who's voicing the characters in the new Kids' WB! and Cartoon Network The Batman animated series.

Veteran voice actor Rino Romano ("Spider-Man Unlimited," "Batman Beyond") will provide the voice of Bruce Wayne. Former TV Batman Adam West will play Gotham's mayor, and Ming-Na ("ER") will voice a detective. Gina Gershon ("Prey for Rock & Roll") will play Catwoman, while fellow baddies Joker and Penguin will be voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson ("Like Family," "Static Shock") and Tom Kenny ("SpongeBob SquarePants").
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2004, 03:27 AM
I think it's Joker's hair that has me thrown off, but I've seen greater liberties taken with Marvel characters and they turned out fine. I'll not worry about this.

Voice casting looks alright, but sad to see no Kevin Conroy.

Adam West as mayor, I hope he plays it like he did the mayor role on Family Guy. :crazed:

kool-aid killer
02-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Im somewhat excited about this. I loved the old Batman cartoon, probably one of the best in my opinion. I dont like how Joker looks, but hopefully in time that will change. JT brought up Justice League, and i was wondering whether that cartoon is still going and if so when will new episodes air? I really like the cartoon but it seems like all there is now are repeats.

darthvyn
02-11-2004, 12:21 PM
meh... really not too jazzed about this. joker looks like crap, and i don't like the "young" batman idea. i don't know... i'll give it a try, but...

when is the original animated series coming out in boxed set form? i want the fox AND wb versions...

jjreason
02-11-2004, 12:43 PM
I will have no difficulty passing on those. Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch a few episodes of the cartoon.

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2004, 01:12 PM
It was hinted that we should expect a box set sometime around summer.

So for those of you frustrated that you still hadn't heard when this show was going to be released, at least we have a timeframe now. With the first season comprising 60 of the 85, it'll be interesting to see how Warner Bros intends to release the series.

Yes, yes . . . month old news from tvshowsondvd.com.

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Oh my GOD! That is terrible casting! That annoying Spidey Unlimited/NASCAR Racers guy as Batman?!? Spongebob as the Penguin?!? Tom Kenny probably will be able to find some new ground to mine for the character, but the guy who played Spidey was AWFUL, terribly miscast there and here as well, he has no weight to his voice whatsoever. I think it's really misleading to claim Rino is from Batman Beyond too, that's a total load, he was a secondary guest voice in ONE episode.

Gonna have to go with JBF on Adam West, he better be a total looney. ;)

I don't like how either of those figures look, something's just a little "off" about each that throws the whole thing out of whack.

Hellboy
02-14-2004, 04:51 PM
JT brought up Justice League, and i was wondering whether that cartoon is still going and if so when will new episodes air? I really like the cartoon but it seems like all there is now are repeats.

Rumor has it that Season 3 (which could kick off in Fall 2004) will feature appearances from Captain Atom, Red Tornado, the Atom, Black Canary and Green Arrow! Look for the series to possibly change its name to "Justice League Unlimited" as well.

As far as the new Batman cartoon goes I'm all for it but I too would've liked to have seen the Justice League Batman in a more detective like show rather than the retro look we're getting. Batman is my favorite comic book character though so I'm just happy he's getting his own show again. :D

I usually pick up a Batman figure here and there if they're well done but these figures do look a bit "off" as JT stated.

-Durge-
02-14-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm hyped! Any word on Robin or Nightwing?

James Boba Fettfield
03-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Looks like next Saturday the 13th we will be given our first look of The Batman. It doesn't list a time, it just says to watch KidsWB for a sneak peek. I guess I'll be watching some lame cartoons to see what the sneak peek is.

http://www.kidswb.com/Stuff/Generic/0,10498,4650,00.html

-Durge-
03-07-2004, 03:51 AM
I'm hyped! Any word on Robin or Nightwing?Heads up anyone?

James Boba Fettfield
03-07-2004, 01:54 PM
They're not going to be on it, Durge.

JediTricks
03-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the heads-up JBF, I would have never bothered otherwise and thus missed out.

darthvyn
09-11-2004, 03:36 PM
i actually caught it today... meh, just like i thought before. the animation style is alright, but what's with the joker doing monkey style kung-fu??? bat-wave = the same thing we saw in batman returns: he pushes a button instead of talking into the communicator and the batmobile automatically comes to him. meh.

it's okay, and i'm sure that younger kids will probably dig it, and i'm all for that - i want as many kids these days to be into superheroes!!! but for my money, give me the dini/timm B:TAS any day of the week... and as soon as i get the boxed set, i will have it any day of the week!!!

EDIT: i actually do like how batman looks, though... except for the little triangular cut-outs where the mask turns at his cheeks - that just looks awkward... i'm sure they'll iron out the kinks, though... i mean, look at the dif. between the first couple of eps. of B:TAS compared to later ones, and THEN to the WB version!!! whoo, boy...

Knightfall
09-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Oh man...the WB version..."The New Batman Adventures" makes TPM look like Citizen Kane by comparison...

Anyway, The Batman. Missed it yesterday, will probably continue to miss it until WB puts it on weekday afternoons at some point in the future. My expectations for this show are low, but maybe it'll take off with the kiddies and Bats will assume his rightful place as America's #1 superhero. The figures are out of scale with TAS/Justice League figures, so I'll be passing on those.

I'm far more excited about Batman: TAS Season 2, on DVD December 7!:D

JediTricks
09-12-2004, 07:56 PM
I missed it because the listings had it on a half hour earlier than it actually aired, so I got an ep of Pokemon with 5 seconds of The Batman at the end. LAME! Way to go KidsWB, you suck.

So, is this show just a retread of Batman Beyond?

El Chuxter
09-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Nope. Completely new continuity.

Overall, the story was surprisingly solid. Nothing to write home about, but quite decent.

The music sucked, but I have to admit I liked the homage to the 60s TV theme music.

Animation was pretty choppy; definitely not on par with the previous series.

The designs didn't bother me nearly as much as I'd expected.

Seeing Firebug in one of the ads gives me hope for all sorts of obscure baddies. (We already know about Joker, Penguin, Bane, and Catwoman, and Riddler, Two-Face, and Killer Croc are pretty safe bets.)

I have no idea why they axed Conroy and Hamill as the voice talent, but got nobodies who are trying to sound like them. Mark Hamill is the Joker! :mad:

Overall, I won't turn it if it's on, but I won't make plans to get up early to see it. I might check it out on DVD, assuming it gets released similar to the way the new TMNT is coming out.

JediTricks
09-13-2004, 06:36 PM
I didn't mean a continuation of the BatBeyond continuity, I meant they took the concept and recycled it into the modern day version of Batman.

Hellboy
09-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah JT Bruce is a young adult and in only his third year of donning the cape and cowl so I'd say thats a fair comparison except Batman Beyond was a better show. This new cartoon is definitely not as strong as BTAS either but it's still pretty good. I'm just hoping the producers live up to their claim that the show will have a more detective like feel to it.

I didn't really care for the voice talent behind Batman/Bruce much but whoever did the Joker did sound a bit like Mark Hamill, only not as good.

The animation was alright. Again not as good as the older shows but different and definitely better than the new Justice League Unlimited series. I will give them points for the new intro, it was pretty slick.

One thing I found to be odd was the fact that Wayne Manor and the Batcave now seen to be right in the middle of Gotham City. :confused: Not sure if they're eventually going to say he has multiple hideouts or not but I didn't much care for that.

Unfortunately the Batmobile looks alot like a Hot Wheel car but it could be worse I suppose. I'm also not to sure about this whole "Batwave" technology either. :rolleyes:

Overall I think I'd give "The Batman" a C+ based on the first episode. Hopefully it will get better as time goes on.

JediTricks
09-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Besides the "newness" of batmanning here (though that definitely played into my pre-opinion, along with the youth of this Bruce in general), I was thinking that it's similar to BatBeyond in the style of the (over?)use of gadgets (that kids can then go out and buy action figures of at the local store ;)).

I thought this new Batcave was supposed to be nowhere near the Wayne Manor, instead being a TMNT-type sub-sewer dealy.

I don't like this new Batmobile, and I don't like the toy (which I foolishly bought anyway), it looks too much like a tuner car, like an Audi Quatro TT, not very Batman-esque to me.

I heard that the animation is very similar to that used in the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon, is that true?

Hellboy
09-13-2004, 09:17 PM
I heard that the animation is very similar to that used in the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon, is that true?

I've never really watched a full episode of that cartoon but it did play before Justice League at one point so I have seen the animation during the end credits a time or two because of recording that show. Based on that I can see some similarities, especially in the faces.

I thought this new Batcave was supposed to be nowhere near the Wayne Manor, instead being a TMNT-type sub-sewer-delay.

The entrance to the Batcave (at least in this episode) was through a fake dumpster on the side of a building (lame)and it did indeed seem as if he was traveling through some kind of sewer system so you're probably right about that. Bruce did seem to be living in the skyscraper above the Batcave though and thats why I assumed it might be a revamped Wayne Manor.

El Chuxter
09-14-2004, 12:22 PM
It might be WayneCorp Tower, where Batman had a second Batcave in the 80s, and which I think still exists in the comic Gotham as a backup cave.

JediTricks
09-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Ok, I've learned that the show doesn't just look similar to Jackie Chan Adventures, it's using the same animation team including the main art director, so I guess that's why everybody's been saying they look similar. ;) I just hope Bats here has better background plates than the crude pieces used on JCA.

Chux, interesting point about the WayneCorp tower and its second cave, I vaguely remember that so I'll buy that for a dollar. :crazed:

JediTricks
09-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Finally caught it yesterday, unfortunately I *hated* it. This art style works on Jackie Chan Adventures because that show is action-comedy, this show is NOT a comedy yet every character looks sloppy and a little silly, and Bats' face is very crude. Also, why do all the guys on the show, Bruce, Alfred, that new police detective buddy, have noses that look like they've been broken a dozen times? The music on this show is sub-par, but that's nothing compared to some of the annoying voice work. Rino Romano is a horrible choice for the lead voice actor here, every time he opens his mouth I want to turn off the program; the directing for him and Alfred is also pretty poor. The Batman Beyond-type gimmicks and attitudes are even turned down so that we end up with a watered down character, gimmicks, AND action.

In this episode, we meet the Penguin, but now he has a giant GIANT top hat, nobody comments on his flipper hands even though he's at a fancy charity party (that seems to be more a rave than anything), and he's bird powers and super kung-fu fighting moves and an electrified chain-whip-cane and a pair of assassin geishas - I can understand tweaking the character a little, but COME ON! And why is he a criminal? Because he wants to return his family name to near-royalty status, so he goes to parties and acts as obnoxious as possible and steals everything in sight.

Honestly, this show is a sad pretender to the throne, but WB seems to be banking on it. I can accept change, but not sloppy messy change.

Lord Malakite
09-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Still haven't caught any episodes. From what I've seen in commercials though, it dosen't look like I'm missing much. Catwoman looked like a horrendous version of Deflator Mouse from The Tick.

scruffziller
09-20-2004, 07:54 AM
I thought the Penguin ep was pretty good. I understand where you are coming from JT but it isn't enough for me to stop watching it. I really liked the Penguin's banter and Bat's responses, "Let me guess.....from the Orient.":D

El Chuxter
09-20-2004, 10:39 AM
This one was bad, no two ways about it. The Penguin's music was a poor knockoff of Elfman's theme for him in Batman Returns, and the voice actor was a two-bit Devito. Penguin has to have class or he doesn't work. Even Devito gave him some class. This guy was a joke of a travesty of a sham.

-Durge-
09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Guys I really want to see this...but it hasnt hair down here yet. Does anyone know I good site I can read up on the series... Also is 2 face in it.
Thanks..