PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 4 News!!

Beast
02-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Hmm, not to sure about the plot for this one. But Terminator 3 was remarkably good in my opinion. And atleast Mario Kassar is remaining involved in the sequels. The following news from Dark Horizon:

Producer Mario Kassar recently spoke to a Lebanese film magazine regarding production for Terminator 4 and TheArnoldFans transcribed a copy of the key elements of the article:

"T4 is in the works. The screenplay will be ready in 8 or 9 months. Once we have that, we will proceed with the production. The question that has never been answered in all the Terminator films is time travel. You can come from the future to change the present. But we never see how they go back to the future, which is a subject that can be explored. I think you already know where T4 is going from the ending of T3."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-09-2004, 11:56 AM
How about this for a plot? The Terminator comes back through time to the year 2003 and destroys all copies of Terminator 3 and wipes the entire movie from existence before it was ever released? :crazed:

Seriously, no more! They've already killed the franchise, why keep shooting it?

:mad:

PENDO!

sith_killer_99
02-09-2004, 12:15 PM
They've already killed the franchise, why keep shooting it?

I could go in soooo many different directions with that, being that this is a Terminator thread, but I won't.

I enjoyed the third Terminator movie. Though, I always pictured John Connor as being a bit...bigger.

Beast
02-09-2004, 12:20 PM
I enjoyed the 3rd one also. Infact it rates just under Terminator II for me. With the original coming in dead last. Sure the original set up the story. But I like the different paths taken in 2 and 3. Bring on 4, I'll be plunking my money down for this baby. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
02-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Terminator 3 was very enjoyable. Although, I preferred the original out of the three. It was just really fast paced, very dark and moody.

I'll for sure see Terminator 4. But they can leave things as they are now though because it has brought the franchise full circle. John Connor survives and leads the humans to victory in the war against the Machines.
Any other Terminator movies would be purely set in the future, basically just a war movie set in the future. They'd have to be. The plot of a Terminator coming from the future to kill John Connor is getting old now. I'm surprised that's what they actually did in T3, I thought it might be something a bit different. :sur: :)

evenflow
02-09-2004, 03:28 PM
T3 was surprisingly good, I am down for a part 4.

Sentinel18725
02-09-2004, 04:32 PM
How about the Terminator going back in time and fixing the California elections so that it can become the Governor....

stillakid
02-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Well, the plot incongrueties that T3 set up aside, T4 sounds a lot like what Cameron's T3 was going to be. A day late and a dollar short.

Oh, and someone mentioned elsewhere that "Cameron liked the direction that T3 was taking..." I haven't seen nor heard Cameron's comments myself on that, so all I can do is guess, but after thinking about it (and knowing what kinds of things Cameron is into these days), I'd be willing to bet that what he was referring to was this T3 concept of Skynet infiltrating the internet. It seems very unlikely that he was referring to the overall plot which decimated all that he took great pains to set up in T2. I was just going through some of the T2 dialogue the other day and it says point blank how when Skynet "evolves" and everything goes down. T3 ignores the concept of "Skynet suddenly becoming aware...scientists realizing it and trying to shut it down in a hurry...and Skynet's reaction". T3's timeline is far more plodding, as Skynet appears to have been self-aware for the majority of the film with no one noticing...plus the idea that the war was going to happen no matter how many sequels get made.

With all that in mind, and the seemingly impossible situation of thinking that they can put a stop to the madness from the present, it seems logical that young-John would make an attempt to go into the future to wipe out Skynet before it ever sends back the T-100 (from Terminator 1) as it was the chip that was left over which gave Miles Dyson the vision to create Skynet in the first place.

Exhaust Port
02-09-2004, 05:25 PM
I guess they'll be writing Arnold out of this one.

stillakid
02-09-2004, 05:37 PM

And it's about f'ing time! Besides "name value" was there any need to make a complete rehash of T1 & T2 using Aaanold?

Exhaust Port
02-09-2004, 06:27 PM
If there is any actor/acting that can be easily replace AND improved by CGI it's Arnold. :)

Pendo
02-10-2004, 06:06 AM
I hope they write the T-1000 in the T-800's (not T-101 as stated in T3 :mad:) place. And PLEASE don't bring back the T-X :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

arctangent
02-10-2004, 06:25 AM

question is how many people out there in filmland will want to go and see terminator 4 in the first place, let alone terminator 4 without arnie as the terminator?

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2004, 06:28 AM
I want to see Michael Biehn make an appearance.

What? :)

Exhaust Port
02-10-2004, 10:41 AM
If Cameron is within 100 miles of a movie it has to have Micheal Biehn in it (as well as Bill Paxton). :)

2-1B
02-11-2004, 03:52 AM
And a hot chick whose physical appearance he can deride. :rolleyes:

Kate Winslet GOT NAKED for him and his stupid movie, then he goes and makes that "Kate Weighsalot" comment. Class act. :rolleyes:

No wonder Linda Hamilton dropped his sorry ***. :D

scruffziller
02-11-2004, 09:56 AM
How about this for a plot? The Terminator comes back through time to the year 2003 and destroys all copies of Terminator 3 and wipes the entire movie from existence before it was ever released? :crazed:

Seriously, no more! They've already killed the franchise, why keep shooting it?

:mad:

PENDO!
Don't mean to sound malicious Pendo because I like you. But do you go see these sequels. You don't have to. When(if) SW 7,8,9 comes out you will be a hypocrite if you set foot in the theatre.;)

aceguide
02-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm with PENDO. T3 was not a good movie. The casting was poor and the plot poorer. Let is go...

DarthBrandon
02-11-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm not with anyone on this, but my personal opinion is that T3 blew chunks big time. I will not go into detail about what I disliked about T3 (mostly all of it), but I will say that stillakid summed it up the best IMO. (can't believe I said that) :D

Pendo
02-13-2004, 05:56 PM
When(if) SW 7,8,9 comes out you will be a hypocrite if you set foot in the theatre.;)
I'll be a hypocrite even if I don't step foot in the theatre :crazed::p

PENDO!

Hellboy
02-14-2004, 07:14 PM
I really don't see any way to save this once rich franchise. T3 was so bad that I have little faith or interest in seeing another sequel.

scruffziller
02-16-2004, 08:06 AM
I'll be a hypocrite even if I don't step foot in the theatre :crazed::p

PENDO!
Because you'll be looking at spoiler pics?:D

Jayspawn
02-16-2004, 06:34 PM
I loved T3. I hope they make another if they stick to the details.

Pendo
02-17-2004, 08:36 AM
I loved T3. I hope they make another if they stick to the details.
Stick to what details? I wished they'd done that with T3, but all that seemed to do was causing continuity errors with the first two movies? :crazed:

PENDO!

arctangent
02-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Stick to what details? I wished they'd done that with T3, but all that seemed to do was causing continuity errors with the first two movies? :crazed:

PENDO!

perhaps in terminator 4 we will find that terminator 3 was just like the bobby ewing/dallas dream and we will all wake up to find nothing that happened in t3 was real lol

JON9000
03-03-2004, 02:10 PM
The problem with T3 is that it was too formulaic. 2 warriors from the future going back in time to wipe out a messiah, appearing out of bubbles and baring their rear ends. The initial clash (completely rehashed in T3), the incidental exposition scene (Terminator tells the Johnny come lately, in this case, Claire Danes, what is up). The final confrontation where the terminator loses its skin...

All this seemed cliched by the third go around. All I can say is that perhaps by moving the films to the future, the screenwriters can come up with some fresh ideas. Ugh. :greedy:

scruffziller
02-22-2005, 03:23 PM
News has it that T4 is announced for 2006.

Now we've heard that Claire Danes and Nick Stahl won't be returning for this film, which is reportedly set substantially in the future. Also, rumor has it that Ahnuld won't be back neither. (Empire Online)

However I had also heard rumors that Ahnuld would be back anywhere from a full roll to a cameo.

Pendo
02-22-2005, 03:27 PM
I've heard Michael Biehn will be returning. I think he's a bit old now to play Kyle Reese again.

PENDO!

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Man, I hope that they just kill it. T3 is a movie that should never have been made. The only good thing that came out of it was Kristanna Loken's naked butt, but that's about it. Why can't Hollywood devote more time to making more meaningful sequels, like X-Men 3????

Jayspawn
02-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Still, I liked T3 -great action movie. I'm big on details and I didnt pick out anything contradictory between the movies.

Anybody who has a legitimate discrepancy care to share?

Slicker
02-22-2005, 05:59 PM
The only one that I can think of is from T2 where they say there's no fate but what we make but then in T3 he says that the war was inevitable. So in other words fate destined them to go to war and there was nothing they could do to change it.

2-1B
02-23-2005, 02:35 AM
Nick Stahl is out ? Bummer, I liked him much better than Edward Furlong.

hango fett
02-23-2005, 10:22 AM
i would love to see another. time travel has always been a favirote in the sci-fi area. i just love the possibilities!
bring on T4
HF

DarthQuack
02-23-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm wondering how many movies they can stretch out with this franchise.

Pendo
02-23-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm big on details and I didnt pick out anything contradictory between the movies.

Anybody who has a legitimate discrepancy care to share?

Well the main one being that the first two movies established that there was "No Fate", and the third one destroys what the first two movies were about by making the war inevitable!

Also in Terminator 2, John Connor was 10 years old, and it clerarly states his age on the computer inside the police car when the T-1000 runs a search for John Connor's name. In Terminator 3, John Connor says that he was 13 when he was attacked by the T-1000, which he was not!

And in the first two movies, Arnold's Terminator was a T-800, Model 101 but in Terminator he describes himself as a T-101, which he also is NOT!!!

I'm sure there are a few other errors between the movies, but they're the main ones that I'd like to point out :).

PENDO!

Beast
02-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Well the main one being that the first two movies established that there was "No Fate", and the third one destroys what the first two movies were about by making the war inevitable!

PENDO!
I don't really see this as contradictory. After all, James Cameron removed the 'sappy happy' ending from T2 for a reason. As the Terminator told John in Terminator 2, "It's in our nature to destroy ourselves". So the war eventually occuring but down the timeline makes sense, in my honest opinion. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
02-23-2005, 12:17 PM
I gotta go with JJB on this one. Sure there is no fate. But I always found it kind of funny that Sara would be able to stop everything from happening. Like Arnold said, "It's in our nature to destroy ourselves". So can one woman, or even one woman and a child change the direction of human events.

We see in T3 that they can delay or impact human events. But let's get real, unless everyone believed the danger was real they would keep on doing what they were doing. That's the point, we never know until it's too late. Sure the future is what we make of it, not what they make of it. They did change the future, they postponed the war, but they couldn't stop it. It's like the little Dutch boy trying to stop a tsunami.....good luck with that!

I think I liked the ending of T3 the best. But then, I'm a sucker for movies that end on a down note. That's part of the reason I liked Saw!

scruffziller
02-26-2005, 02:40 PM
And in the first two movies, Arnold's Terminator was a T-800, Model 101 but in Terminator he describes himself as a T-101, which he also is NOT!!!

He is a T-101 in T3 because he is a Terminator from the timeline in which the first Judgement Day never happened. He was created under different circumstances than the T-800 Model 101. And if we can intrepret it right, it seems that the technology advanced faster than in the previous reality if he was at T-101 instead of T-800. Which may explain why we see TX instead of the T-1000. Alternate realities can constitute minor differences. Even if it is a scripting error, I accept all things presented "as is" as cannon. That is a big part of the charm of stories, especially with all that can be pointed out in SW.

I gotta go with JJB on this one. Sure there is no fate. But I always found it kind of funny that Sara would be able to stop everything from happening. Like Arnold said, "It's in our nature to destroy ourselves". So can one woman, or even one woman and a child change the direction of human events.

We see in T3 that they can delay or impact human events. But let's get real, unless everyone believed the danger was real they would keep on doing what they were doing. That's the point, we never know until it's too late. Sure the future is what we make of it, not what they make of it. They did change the future, they postponed the war, but they couldn't stop it. It's like the little Dutch boy trying to stop a tsunami.....good luck with that!

I think I liked the ending of T3 the best. But then, I'm a sucker for movies that end on a down note. That's part of the reason I liked Saw!

Amen to that. Most people got the impression(including myself, fell into the trap) that by taking actions to prevent the proverbial "Judgement Day" that stopping the Terminators of T1 and T2, that the catastrophe type that happened in 1997 would never happen, ever. As long as we aren't getting shot down by skeletal robots and fried by nukes, there is no reason for alarm.:rolleyes: Plus too, if you guys remember the Terminators weren't being sent back to prevent the humans from preventing JD, but to prevent John Connor from leading the humans to victory, seeing it through to the end. Sarah Connor getting the idea she could stop JD, was a pointless fluke in the grand scheme. And if you look at it as a whole, the machines never had that on their minds at all. So if you read between the lines in T1 and T2, it basically says that JD will happen no matter what, even if the T3, T4, T5, T6 etc. movies would have never been made.:)

But I think that T4 is going to open a whole new tone for the franchise. the first 3 were basically part 1. The time travel issue has been resolved and the only thing to do now is to is to see the war through to the end.

Pendo
02-28-2005, 07:06 AM
He is a T-101 in T3 because he is a Terminator from the timeline in which the first Judgement Day never happened. He was created under different circumstances than the T-800 Model 101. And if we can intrepret it right, it seems that the technology advanced faster than in the previous reality if he was at T-101 instead of T-800. Which may explain why we see TX instead of the T-1000. Alternate realities can constitute minor differences. Even if it is a scripting error, I accept all things presented "as is" as cannon. That is a big part of the charm of stories, especially with all that can be pointed out in SW.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. And it also doesn't help to explain Connor's age difference in T2 or the "No Fate" issue.

PENDO!

stillakid
02-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy that. And it also doesn't help to explain Connor's age difference in T2 or the "No Fate" issue.

PENDO!

I agree. I don't think that T2 or T3 are meant to be viewed as being set up along a different timeline from 1. T2 happens because Skynet's first attempt failed with the Schwarzenegger model. T3 happens because the first two attempts failed. And there are references to the earlier attempts in the later movies, therefore Skynet is aware of the previous "history" and builds on it.

If there is any continuity error (storywise) that exists it is in that T2 worked really hard to suggest that "no fate but what we make," or, our future is not predetermined. In one fell swoop, T3 undid all of that by saying instead that our future IS predetermined and there is no point in trying to change anything.

2-1B
02-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I just think humanity failed in the whole "no fate but what we make" thing . . . sure it's possible but it's in our nature to destroy, I mean my goodness, look at our own real world history. How many wars, how many seneless deaths, "we" haven't changed much, that's for sure.

stillakid
02-28-2005, 06:30 PM
I once killed a man in Reno just to watch him die... :dis:

Tycho
10-02-2006, 04:31 AM
I just watched T1 and T2 again and I love these movies. They rank in my all-time favorites category for sure. The Terminator films are better than a lot of what's popular out there - like Aliens, etc.

I don't have much to add to your discussion right now as I have yet to watch T3 again, but I read everyone's comments and found it really interesting.

Does anyone know if there is any more news about a Terminator 4? It obviously won't be coming out in 2006.

2-1B
10-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Tycho, while you're at it go ahead and watch the Fullscreen version of T3, you get to see more boobage on the Terminatrix. :thumbsup:

I'm interested in a T-Marathon myself, man Tycho you are really inspiring me lately...First Blood was great to revisit a few weeks back, thanks again. :)

scruffziller
10-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I just watched T1 and T2 again and I love these movies. They rank in my all-time favorites category for sure. The Terminator films are better than a lot of what's popular out there - like Aliens, etc.

I don't have much to add to your discussion right now as I have yet to watch T3 again, but I read everyone's comments and found it really interesting.

Does anyone know if there is any more news about a Terminator 4? It obviously won't be coming out in 2006.

According to imdb.com, the script is finished and ready to start filming early 2007. Nick Stahl is rumored to appear. Johnathon Mostow directing again.
No sign of Cameron for writing or Arnold to appear.

In one fell swoop, T3 undid all of that by saying instead that our future IS predetermined and there is no point in trying to change anything. As long as people can still die, we can only change how it happens or when it happens. Yes, our lives are predetermined in that way. We will die. I think the way that the story's allegory was going is that JD is being paralleled with death in general. You can't change an event in history that will prevent death from ever coming. All we can do is ease the pain.
That is why the triumph in "V for Vendetta" was lackluster. Because when the people triumphed, I thought to myself. "They will only create another government like it to take it's place, eventually."

Tycho
01-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Well, anyone think they have started working on this?

Terminator 4! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438488/)

Coming to your future in 2008.

BountyHunterScum
01-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Hopefully they do it right, I have the future soldiers figure set made by leading edge games a long time ago. Now they know everything maybe they can undo the whole terminator thing.

El Chuxter
01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Why can't Hollywood devote more time to making more meaningful sequels, like X-Men 3????

My, how hindsight has altered that statement.

BountyHunterScum
01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
X3 meaningful??? HAHAHAHAHA are you high?!?!?!?! X3 was an abomination.

Tycho
01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
I just watched the X-movies again and rather liked X3.

I've never read the X-comics though, but the films have inspired me to look into them moreso than any other super hero property.

El Chuxter
01-30-2007, 03:54 PM
The reason X3 was disappointing was its being a brainless action film coming on the heels of two films that were anything but brainless. It's not got much to do with faithfulness to the source material.

But that's a discussion for another thread.

DarkArtist
01-30-2007, 03:58 PM
I just watched the X-movies again and rather liked X3.

I've never read the X-comics though, but the films have inspired me to look into them moreso than any other super hero property.

I have to agree here Tycho. I thought X3 was a great movie. liked it alot more at times then X2.

BountyHunterScum
01-30-2007, 08:48 PM
The reason X3 was disappointing was its being a brainless action film coming on the heels of two films that were anything but brainless. It's not got much to do with faithfulness to the source material.

But that's a discussion for another thread.

I agree with that assessment.

Tycho
01-30-2007, 09:22 PM
It wasn't brainless - a key plot point was that there was a "cure" for the mutant X gene and different characters like Rogue and Storm felt very differently about it.

Meanwhile, Wolverine having to sacrafice Jean Grey was truly heartfelt and a poignant ending to the film done very dramatically.

Anyway, I realize too that there is an X3 thread - but I had to make my remarks where the people they were directed towards would see them.

El Chuxter
01-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Magneto decides to attack a medical facility on Alcatraz. (Let's ignore how ludicrous the placement of the facility is.)

To get his evil mutants--most of whom apparently have the power to jump around like idiots--to Alcatraz, he bends the Golden Gate Bridge. Without any calculations, he simply picks the proper length of bridge they'll need. Never mind that the bridge would have shattered. Never mind that it's probably not long enough (I may be wrong on that).

Plus you have two major characters killed for no reason other than to get them out of the picture. And the only almost-powerful moment, a powerless Magneto with no one to play chess with, is ruined by a silly "guess what's coming in X4" moment.

Oh yeah, and we totally ignored the origins for the Phoenix that Singer had set up in X-Men and X2 to go for something with more explosions.

This on the heels of what are probably the two most character-driven, cerebral comic book films.

I'd say that qualifies as brainless.

Brainless isn't always bad. But the third X-Men movie should've made an attempt to be at least halfway as intelligent. This went for the intellectual level of Fantastic Four, or maybe the 1980s Punisher movie.

BountyHunterScum
01-31-2007, 12:13 PM
If I'm not mistaken Cyclops and Prof X never died permanently in the comics though I never read them. The only thing good about X3 was John Powell's original score. X3 The Last Terd, before the flush. Are we sure there is even going to be an X4?

Val Da Car
02-01-2007, 07:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken Cyclops and Prof X never died permanently in the comics though I never read them. The only thing good about X3 was John Powell's original score. X3 The Last Terd, before the flush. Are we sure there is even going to be an X4?

btw the Prof didn't die in x 3 either.

Wait through the credits and watch Dr McTaggart and the patient in the bed behind her.

This patient was also in the scene when she was mentioned earlier in the movie.

I will throw up the time and tracks for both.

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
His not being truly dead weakens the sacrifice. More lousy storytelling.

BountyHunterScum
02-01-2007, 08:13 PM
btw the Prof didn't die in x 3 either.

Wait through the credits and watch Dr McTaggart and the patient in the bed behind her.

This patient was also in the scene when she was mentioned earlier in the movie.

I will throw up the time and tracks for both.

Was his body ever vaporized in the comics?

2-1B
01-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Let's get back on topic, enough of the X-Men talk already !

I'm looking forward to Terminator Salvation (4), Christian Bale as John Connor has me interested...I'll give it a chance.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-09-2008, 10:49 PM
New trailer is up: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/terminatorsalvation/

:thumbsup:

Tycho
12-10-2008, 02:37 AM
Dude that looks awesome! Christian Bale is going to be great!

There's an Asian girl in this. Could that be Derek Reese's girlfriend from TSCC TV show?

The girl that's pregnant (different girl) - could that be Kate Brewster? (Terminator 3) (different actress)

The giant Terminator with a cannon. Could that be Megatron? ;)

Was cool how I just finished watching Bale in The Dark Knight right before I logged on and saw this!

Lord Malakite
12-10-2008, 03:48 AM
There's an Asian girl in this. Could that be Derek Reese's girlfriend from TSCC TV show?

I can tell you right now that the chances of that even being a possibility are highly doubtful Tycho. T3/T4 and TSCC are from two different/alternate continuities.

T1->T2->T3->T4
T1->T2->TSCC

As such, characters first introduced in TSCC or T3/T4 (unless some cut/deleted scene or early script draft from T1/T2 existed with that said character) are practically guaranteed not to appear in both timelines.

Devo
12-10-2008, 04:38 AM
Alternate continuities inside the Terminator universe or Alternate continuities in our real universe? :D If its the latter, and one branch simply pretends the other doesn't exist, then fair enough but if its the former doesn't that create a major plothole? If the only thing all this timetravelling achieves is to set up an alternate timeline, yet not changing future events as the time traveller had experienced them, then whats the point in these time travel missions at all?

Blue2th
12-10-2008, 10:36 AM
They are already changing the future in SCC, so anything they come up with hopefully jives with that at least.
I love Stephani Jacobsen (Jesse) moles and all.

Who knows? I'm liking the looks of it though.
I know I saw the old Albuquerque rail yards where they filmed part of it in the trailer.

Tycho
12-10-2008, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=Lord Malakite;651743]

T1->T2->T3->T4
T1->T2->TSCC

Sort of. What happened was:

1997 - SkyNet launches nuclear weapons to kill almost everyone.
2029 (?) John Connor defeats Skynet
1984 SkyNet's first time-traveling Terminator that we knew of arrives to kill Sarah, John conceived
1997- SkyNet's T-1000 defeated by Resistance's T-800, SkyNet by Cyberdine delayed
2002 - TX model defeated by T-800, SkyNet comes online by order of Gen. Brewster, USAF; new Judgement Day
1999 - Cameron makes contact with John Connor in New Mexico in the past; Sarah's delayed SkyNet somehow
2007 - Cameron takes John and Sarah to future (2007 - where Sarah outlives her own death due to cancer)
2008 - SkyNet being delayed by the efforts of Sarah Connor (TSCC TV show)
2013 - pending death of Sarah Connor due to cancer (she seems to live 5 years regardless of time leaps)
2018 - New Judgement Day
2018 - Terminator 4, 5, 6 starring Christian Bale as John Connor

Lord Malakite
12-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Alternate continuities inside the Terminator universe or Alternate continuities in our real universe? :D If its the latter, and one branch simply pretends the other doesn't exist, then fair enough but if its the former doesn't that create a major plothole? If the only thing all this timetravelling achieves is to set up an alternate timeline, yet not changing future events as the time traveller had experienced them, then whats the point in these time travel missions at all?
Its the latter. TSCC doesn't acknowledge T3 (and by default T4 since it follows T3) as happening.

T1->T2->T3->T4
T1->T2->TSCC

Sort of. What happened was:

1997 - SkyNet launches nuclear weapons to kill almost everyone.
2029 (?) John Connor defeats Skynet
1984 SkyNet's first time-traveling Terminator that we knew of arrives to kill Sarah, John conceived
1997- SkyNet's T-1000 defeated by Resistance's T-800, SkyNet by Cyberdine delayed
2002 - TX model defeated by T-800, SkyNet comes online by order of Gen. Brewster, USAF; new Judgement Day
1999 - Cameron makes contact with John Connor in New Mexico in the past; Sarah's delayed SkyNet somehow
2007 - Cameron takes John and Sarah to future (2007 - where Sarah outlives her own death due to cancer)
2008 - SkyNet being delayed by the efforts of Sarah Connor (TSCC TV show)
2013 - pending death of Sarah Connor due to cancer (she seems to live 5 years regardless of time leaps)
2018 - New Judgement Day
2018 - Terminator 4, 5, 6 starring Christian Bale as John Connor

While your claim is an interesting fan premise (especially with the ambiguous open ended way time travel/alterations has been handled, to date, in the Terminator franchise) in trying to explain/tie TSCC into the same universe as T3 and T4, I'm more inclined to believe the stance of someone actually working on the franchise's story, like TSCC series producer Josh Friedman, over a fan premise. Friedman's "on the record" official stance on TSCC is that it is from a separate "alternate" time line that is unrelated in any shape or form to the events set into motion in T3 (though it follows the same primary source/sources, aka T1 & T2, that T3 was based off of). Basically what is going on here (time line/universe wise) is almost a similar situation as what happened with M*A*S*H*.

M*A*S*H* (movie)->M*A*S*H* (TV show)->After M*A*S*H*
M*A*S*H* (movie)->Trapper John, M.D.

Only difference between the M*A*S*H* example and the Terminator franchise is that the separation between the 2 alternate time line/universes is a bit more muddled (thanks in part to the whole time travel and potential altered "paradox futures" aspect of the franchise).

DarkArtist
12-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Wow. that trailer looks sick. can't wait for this to hit the big screen. will definately be online for tickets opening night.

OC47150
12-13-2008, 09:07 PM
There was a trailer attached to Day the Earth Stood Still. It looks good. Can't wait for it.

Maradona
02-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Christian Bale sure knows how to treat the guy in charge of making him look good onscreen...

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/02/bale-went-ballistic/

2-1B
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Malakite, in TSCC they talked about Sarah Connor dying...which they showed in T3.

So I think they both still jive.

2-1B
02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Christian Bale sure knows how to treat the guy in charge of making him look good onscreen...

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/02/bale-went-ballistic/

Wow, that's crazy...at least he wasn't growling like he did as Batman.

Blue2th
02-02-2009, 11:52 PM
From the sound of it, the DP was distracting Bale in the middle of a scene, by coming up and talking to someone.
What ever happened to "quiet on the set"
If he took it a little too extreme, well he's an actor, who was bothered during his performance by somebody who wasn't thinking or respecting him.

I hope that angry passion translates to the screen.

2-1B
02-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, he's an actor...so how about ACTING like a remotely civil human being or at least trying to ACT professional. lol

Blue2th
02-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah some people don't handle things very tactfully, and he's been known to have a short fuse. Too much pressure for him? He sure did say Fock (can I say that?) too many times.

I don't know though, maybe that guy just pushed it. Bale said he did it twice.
He's suppose to be a professional too.

Wish I could have seen it. It might have happened somewhere around here in ABQ where they filmed it.

Maybe he just got some bad Nuevo Mexico food. lol

Darth Jax
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
won't be long before CB is the next Russell Crowe (or Naomi Campbell if you prefer)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
I can see his point of view with the guy messing up a scene not once, but twice. Plus, this was during July and the promotion for TDK was probably a pain, but this does not excuse his four minute rant.

Luckily, LA DJ RevoLucian has created a dance remix of the tirade and it's so damn catchy!! And it's NSFW. Duh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48 :thumbsup:

2-1B
02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Sure, that was stupid of the guy to walk in his eyeline and unprofessional to do so, but he shouldn't be screaming like that.

Nice job of furthering the stereotype reality of multi-millionaire egotistical crybabies.

LTBasker
02-04-2009, 01:06 AM
The director of photography guy has been known for being obnoxious on set, and was even warned at other times.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984

The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.
The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that **** down before the scene starts.
Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.
Now, the reason I know all of this is because the person that was there, felt that it should be made perfectly clear that Christian Bale was the utmost gentleman and cool guy on set. And the DP really was doing something that professional DPs with experience just don't do. Not during a performance.

Lord Malakite
02-04-2009, 03:45 AM
Malakite, in TSCC they talked about Sarah Connor dying...which they showed in T3.
True, they both did talk about Sarah dying from cancer. But there are a lot more things (inconsistencies) that set them apart.

The date change of "Judgment Day" that resulted from T2's alterations are different in T3 and T:TSCC (T3 has it happen in 2004, T:TSCC has it happen in 2011). Even though Sarah prepared a weapons cache in her casket (out of paranoia that it could still happen), according to what John said in T3's story she (and he until T3 happened) never really saw any more indications of Skynet/Terminators from the end of T2 to the time of her death (shortly after the original T1/T2 date of "Judgment Day" passed). In T:TSCC however (which also takes place after T2's events) has Sarah, John, etc. go against a random T-888 on almost a weekly basis. Then you have Dr. Silverman (or Silberman, depending on the source). The experience with the T-800 and T-1000 in T2 had two completely different results on Silverman. In T3 he believes he had some sort of temporary nervous breakdown and just hallucinated the whole event out of stress. In T:TSCC however he comes to believe Sarah's story entirely and becomes a radical nut job in the process.

2-1B
02-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Malakite, I must admit I didn't watch much past the first few episodes...so I didn't know how different they went with the storyline.

Tycho
02-09-2009, 05:31 AM
won't be long before CB is the next Russell Crowe (or Naomi Campbell if you prefer)

Christian Bale is best compared to Harrison Ford and may have even surpassed him:

Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, and various other films including a few bad ones.

versus

Batman, John Connor, American Psycho, 3:10 to Yuma, and virtually no bad ones (yet) and his star is still rising. There will be 2 more Terminator films with Bale and at least one more Batman film.

Christian Bale is awesome and his characters are not one-notes as Dan Evans in 3:10 to Yuma is nothing like Bruce Wayne or Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. The guy can create a character and ACT. I think Bale is now my favorite actor of all time (at least competing with Harrison Ford and Ewan McGreggor and Hugh Jackman, who are up there as well). Bale is above and beyond these others in a lot of ways (but McGreggor is arguably very, very good, too).

Beast
02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Christian Bale is best compared to Harrison Ford and may have even surpassed him:

Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, and various other films including a few bad ones.

versus

Batman, John Connor, American Psycho, 3:10 to Yuma, and virtually no bad ones (yet) and his star is still rising. There will be 2 more Terminator films with Bale and at least one more Batman film.

Christian Bale is awesome and his characters are not one-notes as Dan Evans in 3:10 to Yuma is nothing like Bruce Wayne or Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. The guy can create a character and ACT. I think Bale is now my favorite actor of all time (at least competing with Harrison Ford and Ewan McGreggor and Hugh Jackman, who are up there as well). Bale is above and beyond these others in a lot of ways (but McGreggor is arguably very, very good, too).
I don't see it. Especially after his awful Batman acting.

Darth Jax
02-09-2009, 10:14 AM

i wasn't speaking of his acting abilities - but has demeanor on set and off. While Harrison may be a tabloid stable because of his dating habits - he doesn't seem to be becoming a jerk through his tantrums and public mis-steps.

2-1B
02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
What of his growling abilities?

Tycho
02-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I heard the whole story and I think Christian Bale was totally justified. I'm on his side in this. Fire more F-bombs and I'll reload!

Blue2th
02-10-2009, 01:07 AM
We need T-shirts with Christian Bale's face on them saying:
"FOCK YOU FOCKING FOCK!"

can I say that? :nerv:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Looks like Linda Hamilton might be back to do a voiceover for the new film.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53060

Cool news that should excite some folks, minus one or two that will naturally complain about it. heheh :crazed:

2-1B
02-21-2009, 01:45 PM
As long as we don't have to see her onscreen, I'm fine with it.

Blue2th
02-21-2009, 02:38 PM
She's kinda got manly jowls.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
New trailer is up and it is pretty kick arse!!!!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/terminator-salvation.html?showVideo=1

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarthQuack
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Where's Arnold?

Yea, in all seriousness, it does look pretty good though...I liked the song for the trailer too.

Tycho
03-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Does YouTube require you to sign in on an account now? I can't get anything to play.

OC47150
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Some interesting tidbits/trivia about T4.

I don't know what everyone's definition of a spoiler is, but #1 had some plot info that I wasn't aware of. It didn't ruin it for me, but I know some people like to be spoiler-free. So you've been warned.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/need-to-know-terminator-salvation.html

Tycho
03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I finally saw the new preview. The passion put into it - and Christian Bale - is incredible!

T4 is going to be the best movie of the year!

Tough competition that just barely won't make it:

GI Joe
Transformers
Star Trek
Wolverine

and of course, my favorite from this past January: Defiance.

But this is going to be one heck of a summer at the movies. If I saw everything at least twice, it's $120 (accounting for 3rd viewings of 2 of the best - but I'll likely see 3 of the best 3 times each).

Star Trek, Terminator, and Transformers are my in my Top 4 favorite franchises of all time, Star Wars of course being the only other.

Ando
03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Just watched the trailer and WOW! Awesome. This is hopefully going to be another great summer at the movies.

I am really looking forward to seeing this.

Snowtrooper
03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
This does look pretty sweet. I'm really looking forward to this. Bale looks like he will make a good John Connor. Looks like it'll be a must see for me.

Tycho
03-29-2009, 03:42 AM
This is my favorite trailer for the new Terminator Salvation movie. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcg5t0mT8V4) I watch it over and over again and wish I was in a post-nuclear-holocaust getting to kill things and have a hot girl on my arm.

jonthejedi
03-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Yes, this one does it for me as well...making it my most anticipated summer flick.(if I just had the $$$ to get all the Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 12" figs.!!!). May can't come soon enough. I've wanted a Future War heavy Terminator film since I saw the 1st one. I loved Defiance(anything on WWII), too. I think they announced the DVD for July.

Tycho
03-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I think I'm going for the 3 3/4" figures that go in Future Wars vehicles, and I'll look at the 6", too.

Yeah, the 12" are tempting. The Christian Bale sculpt looks dead-on.

This is easily going to be the best movie of the summer. There will be 5:

1) Terminator Salvation
2) Star Trek
3) Wolverine
4) GI Joe
5) Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

I hope Transformers is better than to rank last, but I don't know...

OC47150
03-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Great preview. Saw it at the movies yesterday. My buddy and I both said T4 is a must-see.

Tycho
03-30-2009, 08:49 AM
It's going to be Terminator that comes out of the summer movie madness UNSTOPPABLE!!!

I'll probably see this in the theater so many times!

Star Trek might be its only real competition.

I hope X-men: Wolverine is good. Hugh Jackman is definitely capable.

GI Joe is a familiar franchise but a passing curiousity for me.

Transformers has told me nothing is "right" about this franchise, going into what's now the SECOND installment. Sure I worshipped Michael Bay for realizing my dream of having a harcore, violent realistic Transformers movie with Peter Cullen starring as Optimus Prime. However:

Machine life doesn't logically evolve without organics being involved in its beginnings. The AllSpark was a stupid idea.

It would be especially passionate and tragic if the organic life on Cybertron had to install their essence into machines and move their whole planet in order to survive the death of Cybertron's sun. Then it became a self-powered planet with machine life. And THEN, it would be tragic as unique and irreplaceable personalities (like Jazz) were lost when the robots were destroyed.

Finally, if they came to earth searching for exploitable energy sources, the real world oil and clean energy crisis could be addressed in the science fiction and there'd be more at stake in these movies - such as when the President tries to levy a pollution tax on Megatron and it's up to Optimus Prime to enforce it.

In the Terminator franchise, humans created SkyNet and a lot of the its early military pieces like Hunter-Killers, and Skull Crushers. Then the AI evolved and planned out its human-form infiltration systems when it fell in love with Arnold Schwarzeneggar. SkyNet's goal is to just survive and evolve. A situation like that could also breed the evolution of robotic life on our planet, such as life that could eventually become like the Transformers. Maybe THAT happened on Cybertron, or its twin colony planet, called Unicron instead of SkyNet.

But an AllSpark hurtling through space that can give life to non-biologicals? I want a really in-depth explanation to be offered in one of these movies!

preacher
03-31-2009, 05:02 PM
In the Terminator franchise, humans created SkyNet and a lot of the its early military pieces like Hunter-Killers, and Skull Crushers. Then the AI evolved and planned out its human-form infiltration systems when it fell in love with Arnold Schwarzeneggar. SkyNet's goal is to just survive and evolve. A situation like that could also breed the evolution of robotic life on our planet, such as life that could eventually become like the Transformers. Maybe THAT happened on Cybertron, or its twin colony planet, called Unicron instead of SkyNet.

The Quintessons were essentially what you describe and used robots for labor and entertainment. This always struck me as a very very cool plot point in the first TV series. Moreso than what the comic book had.

Look at what was revealed by Lockheed Martin last week. A four legged robot called "Big Dog" that is being field tested in Afghanistan. We already make robots for entertainment - look at the numerous competitions on TV where competitors make robots for the sole purpose of beating the hell out of each other. It has also been revealed as recently as last week that our intelligence is making things called cybots. These are basically "sentient" algorithms that behave like the borg from Star Trek and can adapt to hostiles in cyberspace.

Every one of these real-world occurances would be awesome to address in a Transformers movie and would give the masses pause when it comes to this obsession on artificial intelligence. This stuff should not be taken lightly, and I really hope the great minds of our time responsible for developing these various technologies do a better job of handling them than what has happened with the internet.

Tycho
04-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Yeah - it's scary to think about it, but we may be living in the waning days of human life on earth.

What if global warming or some other caused-by-man catastrophe causes it to become necessary to transfer ourselves into robot bodies? (when the technology becomes available) Will we still be ourselves or will we lose ourselves to becoming just pre-programmed algorhythms?

It could be advertised as the road to immortality. But who knows if we would still be ourselves?

In the end, we could easily become Transformers. Mechanically, this is not too difficult, especially if we gain the mathematical capabilities of computers with this kind of biological to cybernetic transfer. Then the engineering and the advanced motor-control needed for transforming would be made that much easier.

Now to make this relevant to the Terminator franchise, from that preview alone you can determine the plot. Marcus Wright will be a machine that's so well-programmed, he thinks he's human. He's possibly a sleeper-agent for SkyNet, designed for advanced infiltration, while the T-600s and such were solely made to make humans believe SkyNet wasn't capable of such advanced work.

If this is the case, SkyNet has achieved the evolution of the machines to biologicals (sort of) in reverse.

Meanwhile, today we have things like the Predators and Global Hawks that are just like Hunter-Killers, and now they are arming them with missles and maybe machine guns. They are being remotely controlled by the Air Force, but how long until they try to let them run with AI ? Also in Iraq, ground robots were deployed to aid our troops. If they were huge, they'd be like the Skull Crusher tanks in the future wars. However, the T-1s were only slightly bigger than what our military is using now.

I read that interview with James Cameron that was posted here, or linked to from another link that was posted here. He said he didn't think we'd be that stupid to turn these life-and-death powers over to AI, but you KNOW the military will want to test what can be done, as well as civilian military contractors.

In conclusion, I want my new body to transform into a GMC Top Kick (I think). The concept Camaro or Peterbuilt Semi-Truck might be cool as well. Then again as an F-22 I could go places fast!

I don't think it looks like it's too pleasant to be Marcus Wright.

preacher
04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
In conclusion, I want my new body to transform into a GMC Top Kick (I think). The concept Camaro or Peterbuilt Semi-Truck might be cool as well. Then again as an F-22 I could go places fast!

I don't think it looks like it's too pleasant to be Marcus Wright.

I just want to be the way Megatron should've been to begin with and have One ginormous canon mounted on my right arm.

Tycho
04-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Arnold talks about Terminator: Salvation. (http://www.terminatorchronicles.com/so-is-arnold-schwarzenegger-in-t4-or-isnt-he/)

He's strikingly loyal to California, as the governor should be. You can tell he wasn't thrilled that they shot the film in New Mexico and regular Mexico.

But he WILL make a cameo appearance in Terminator: Salvation, via digital technology.

Blue2th
05-01-2009, 02:52 AM
He's strikingly loyal to California, as the governor should be. You can tell he wasn't thrilled that they shot the film in New Mexico and regular Mexico.

Nanner nanner nanner! :silly:

Tycho
05-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Well I guess having parts of your state look like a post-appocalyptic nuclear wasteland has its advantages. I guess that's something for me to think about while I sit on the beach and look out across the wide, blue Pacific Ocean. :D

Oh, and my state has 5 major league baseball teams. How many does your state have? :D

Blue2th
05-01-2009, 11:33 AM
We got uh, uh...a post apocalyptic wasteland...you have a point there. :Ponder:

C'mon now, how many people who live in SD actually go the beach? I couldn't get nobody to go when I lived there. :cross-eye

There is no escape if you're thinking about a water route though, they have swimming terminators, so your beautiful beach is not going to do you any good..so there doh! :D

2-1B
05-17-2009, 11:56 PM
This movie is PG-13 ?

That's a bummer.

Beast
05-18-2009, 12:20 AM
This movie is PG-13 ?

That's a bummer.
Not really when you consider the storyline.

It's war against the machines. So most of the violence is gonna be Man Vs. Machine.

Also, Skynet is taking prisoners. Something that was established in T1.

Honestly the R of old would be at most PG-13 today anyway.

The film was filmed with an R-Rating in mind. However they decided to go PG-13, and the only thing that was really cut to get the rating was a scene that was filmed and tacked on to ensure they got an R in the first place. A cheesy topless dancing scene that was incredibly random in the film anyway.

Tycho
05-18-2009, 01:51 AM
They showed a Terminator topless and dancing?

Well, I would especially like to see that if it's Cameron from SCC (Summer Glau). :love:

But they showed a naked T-800 even in the preview trailers. I wonder if Janet Jackson's lawyer knows about this?

Beast
05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
They showed a Terminator topless and dancing?

Well, I would especially like to see that if it's Cameron from SCC (Summer Glau). :love:

But they showed a naked T-800 even in the preview trailers. I wonder if Janet Jackson's lawyer knows about this?
*Groans*

No. One of the main actresses. Marcus' love interest. Lemme pull up her name.

Moon Bloodgood as Blair Williams: A "no-nonsense and battle-hardened" lead pilot in the resistance suffering from survivor guilt. She will apparently be a romantic interest for Marcus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Bloodgood

They filmed a scene where she randomly starts dancing and whips her top off. To ensure the R.

More Info:

It is rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Association of America for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and language, unlike the previous R-rated films. The decision was made to rate the film PG-13 after agreeing to cut out a shot of Marcus stabbing a thug with a screwdriver, as McG felt disallowing the young audience due to that one shot was unfair. He also deleted a topless scene for Moon Bloodgood because "It was a soft moment between a man and a woman that was designed to echo the Kelly McGillis/Harrison Ford moment in Witness [but] in the end, it felt more like a gratuitous moment of a girl taking her top off in an action picture, and I didn't want that to convolute the story or the characters." The producers had expected the rating because of the modern leniency towards violence in PG-13 films, such as Live Free or Die Hard.

sith_killer_99
05-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Well I guess having parts of your state look like a post-appocalyptic nuclear wasteland has its advantages. I guess that's something for me to think about while I sit on the beach and look out across the wide, blue Pacific Ocean.

Laugh it up fuzzball, we'll see how California looks soon enough, after the big quake hits.:twisted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and part of California will break off and become it's own country, they can have Nancy Pelosi as their Queen:eek:, and the 9th Circuit as their own Supreme Court:crazed:. Needless to say the University of California Berkeley would be their sole source of education.:razz:

Blue2th
05-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Laugh it up fuzzball, we'll see how California looks soon enough, after the big quake hits.:twisted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and part of California will break off and become it's own country, they can have Nancy Pelosi as their Queen:eek:, and the 9th Circuit as their own Supreme Court:crazed:. Needless to say the University of California Berkeley would be their sole source of education.:razz:
I guess LA got hit today. :shocked:
Might have something to do with the machines they're building in the basements. :)

Tycho
05-18-2009, 04:11 PM
If there was an earthquake today, I didn't feel anything. My friend was over and said he felt something last night. At the exact same moment, I felt nothing. I'd taken my Percosette and asked Elvis Presley and Abraham Lincoln (who I also had over) if they felt anything, but neither of them said anything about it.

Anyway, if they are building machines in the basements, I hope one of them is programmed to terminate the executives at FOX who I've learned (from our boards today) have axed Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles in one of their all-time most-stupidest decisions.

Anyway, I have an action figure of Blair Williams already. She came with the A-10 Thunderbolt vehicle from the T:S collection. You can't take her top off, but her pilot's helmet is removeable, her gun can come out of her holster, and she is very nicely sculpted and articulated. They should card her action figure.

She's the Asian girl (not Jesse from SCC) but her action figure looks white.

El Chuxter
05-18-2009, 05:50 PM
That's because people complain about Asian figures who look too Asian.

Don't believe me? Look up discussion on the GIJoe comic pack Tunnel Rat sometime. People complain he's way too stereotypically Asian. The character's look was based on his creator, though, and it's a pretty dead-on likeness. They tried to make the new one more like him than was possible twenty years ago, and got b****ed at because now he's "racist."

2-1B
05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Not really when you consider the storyline.

It's war against the machines. So most of the violence is gonna be Man Vs. Machine.

Also, Skynet is taking prisoners. Something that was established in T1.

Honestly the R of old would be at most PG-13 today anyway.

The film was filmed with an R-Rating in mind. However they decided to go PG-13, and the only thing that was really cut to get the rating was a scene that was filmed and tacked on to ensure they got an R in the first place. A cheesy topless dancing scene that was incredibly random in the film anyway.

I was hoping Young Reese would have a dream about MILFing Connor's mom...or something. :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I was hoping Young Reese would have a dream about MILFing Connor's mom...or something. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, if you all remember, we saw a topless Sarah Connor in the first (awesome) Terminator....so what's with the PG-13 again? In the first film it was machine vs man vs topless women....didn't that work? ;)

Blue2th
05-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Saw this movie today. Simply awesome! :thumbsup:

Ando
05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Saw this movie today. Simply awesome! :thumbsup:

The Mrs. and I are going tonight and I can't wait!

Tycho
05-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Blue2th: Really?

I have to say this film made my whole day disappointing. :sad:

It was a good and entertaining film to be sure, but it lacked the ability for me to feel anything passionate about it, its characters, or the storyline.

I will see this a 2nd time and maybe TODAY I just wasn't in a good mood to see this movie, but things just felt off.

Right now, I'd say Wolverine is a better picture, and Star Trek rules as THE best (since Dark Knight or Defiance - with probably Dark Knight being the ultimate best).

SPOILERS FOLLOW

First, this won't be a spoiler, but it should be: the whole reveal that Marcus is a machine should NOT have been given away in the previews or with the action figure. The idea of whether he was redeemable (he was a prisoner sentenced to execution for the 2003 murder of his brother and 2 police officers - and gee - that would have been a good storyline to show or flash back to) was a good theme to work with. I'll have to reconsider that upon my 2nd viewing.

Next, I wanted a movie about John (and maybe a bigger role for Kate who was "pregnant Padme" throughout the film). But we're not really given a story about the characters we already know (and LOVE!). This film was written to be about Marcus - and Sam Worthington does a great job. I just wasn't used to him and developed interest in the character much slower than I think the writers intended the audience to.

Arnold's cameo appearance didn't add or detract. It was cool to see, but it hurts to say it, but it's very sad that this was one of the highpoints of the movie for me.

Upon reflection, I think I'll like this movie better on my 2nd time seeing it, but I'm having problems dealing with it right now because it was not what I expected.

Oh, and I was not inspired by the music, nor did I hear enough of that old, famous Terminator theme that they even echoed a little bit in the Sarah Connor Chronicles. BTW, SCC fans, this movie does not negate the TV show at all. It can all fit perfectly in the same Terminator universe and even matches alright with the series finale. ONLY Terminator 3 has to have happened in a different reality - but its basics are still pretty much intact, too.

But I didn't feel enough passion about the storyline.

It was good John Connor wanted to rescue the human prisoners before Command bombed Skynet, but I have to invent some of the passion Christian Bale was supposed to convey - or he did and I just wasn't in the mood to feel it. On top of that, he had the very personal motive of rescuing his father Kyle Reese from SkyNet. I needed to see more passion about that.

I dunno, but I was comparing it to Star Trek where Kirk longed for the approval of a father he was supposed to have known, and Spock saw his mother murdered right before his eyes - and JJ Abrams handled that beautifully. McG should have made me feel more from his actors.

Still, I'll give this movie another chance, but other pictures have been better this summer, especially Star Trek.

Qui-Long Gone
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
First, this won't be a spoiler, but it should be: the whole reveal that Marcus is a machine should NOT have been given away in the previews or with the action figure. The idea of whether he was redeemable (he was a prisoner sentenced to execution for the 2003 murder of his brother and 2 police officers - and gee - that would have been a good storyline to show or flash back to) was a good theme to work with. I'll have to reconsider that upon my 2nd viewing.
[quote]

Amen!!!!!

[quote] I dunno, but I was comparing it to Star Trek where Kirk longed for the approval of a father he was supposed to have known, and Spock saw his mother murdered right before his eyes - and JJ Abrams handled that beautifully. McG should have made me feel more from his actors.

Well spoken....proving that when/if a fanchise wants a "reboot" there's no premium you can put on good story telling. In fact, we probably both agree that if the "reboot's" story isn't as compelling as the original (see new Trek and Wrath of Kahn, Batman Begins and Tim Burton's Batman) or more compelling (see new Trek and every other Trek film but Kahn, Dark Knight and Clooney Batman), then the studio wasted a TON of money and time. How do you beat the James Cameron Terminator movies? Well, I guess we still DON'T KNOW yet, do we? :(

Let's suppose the sequels are better....ala XMen was good, X2 better, X3 a homicide to audiences across the nation....what are the odds this fanchise improves? :rolleyes:

Tycho
05-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Though I may yet end up liking this movie (somewhat), I really, really think I will feel better if I post again how disappointed I was.

Terminator Salvation ruined my day!!!

Qui-Long Gone
05-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Terminator Salvation ruined my day!!!

Which is ironic to think about, since 'Salvation' usually means NOT ruining your day! :pleased:

Watch T2 or the first and you should recoup from Salvation's ill effects within 10-12 hours....after a full night's rest of course....

(But don't think about Fox cancelling the Chronicles because then you'll suffer sever side effects including: nausea, runs, craps, fits of rage, murderous thoughts, sorrow, Summer Glau withdrawl, Lena Headey withdrawl, and stuffy-ichy-coughy-snotty-cold-sweats.....):(

Ando
05-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Part of the charm and allure (for me at least) of the previous movies is that they all take place "present day" (meaning before the bombs fell).

I thought the show was better and had more depth.

I enjoyed the movie, but only if it leads up to a bigger/better sequel.

Devo
05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Part of the charm and allure (for me at least) of the previous movies is that they all take place "present day" (meaning before the bombs fell).

I thought the show was better and had more depth.

I enjoyed the movie, but only if it leads up to a bigger/better sequel.

SCC was great apart from a 3 or 4 season 2 blips - very sad that it won't continue. Especially if, as I suspect, I end up hating this film as I do T3.

Ando
05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
SCC was great apart from a 3 or 4 season 2 blips - very sad that it won't continue. Especially if, as I suspect, I end up hating this film as I do T3.

Am I the only person who liked T3?!? My WIFE hated T3 which was news to me until the lights came on after the end of T4 when she said she liked it better than 3.

Blue2th
05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm like Mikey I liked everything Terminator including T3 and Salvation. :thumbsup:

It was cool that they had other character focus besides what everyone was expecting, John Connor.

I really felt for Marcus. He played a good tormented man who didn't know what he was for a while. He ultimately redeemed himself though. I wonder if he'll be back?

The Harvester scene and the tow truck verses the transport, HK's and A-10's part was awesome!

I can't wait for the Director's cut. The machines were almost unstoppable, surely there's more carnage in there. Were the people being harvested to use their body parts for infiltrators? or just sent to the incinerators. I think that kind of thing would have definitely made an impact and scared the bejeebes out of the audience if a little of it was shown. The horror!
They did have Kyle on the operating table for something.

I will admit though Connor's wife was the weakest part. I liked the T3 Katherine Brewster better.

Beast
05-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Should have kept the original ending. The new one is a huge meh.

sith_killer_99
05-22-2009, 11:53 PM
But don't think about Fox cancelling the Chronicles because then you'll suffer sever side effects including: nausea, runs, craps, fits of rage, murderous thoughts, sorrow, Summer Glau withdrawl, Lena Headey withdrawl, and stuffy-ichy-coughy-snotty-cold-sweats.....

Well said. Just avoid the disappointment all together and skip it, wait for the disc.:thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
05-23-2009, 10:43 AM
And it's about f'ing time! Besides "name value" was there any need to make a complete rehash of T1 & T2 using Aaanold?

Yes. That's like saying SW can exist without Vader....seriously, did you see the SW prequels?

Tycho
05-24-2009, 02:19 AM
I saw Terminator Salvation again today to re-assess it, the big Terminator fan that I am.

Though I liked it MUCH better than the first time I viewed this film, that's not enough to say I really got into this movie. I don't think I'll be seeing it in the theaters again. I'll give Wolverine a 2nd viewing and Star Trek a 4th, 5th - who knows how many? Star Trek is a darn good summer movie!!!

Yes, the battle sequence on the bridge with the tow truck, moto-terminators, havester, hunter-killers, A-10's and all was very well done. But I just wasn't feeling it as much as I'd hoped to be.

jedibear
05-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Got a chance to see it tonight. I liked it...a lot more than I expected to after seeing so many negative reviews and reading some of the comments here.

Some spoilers follow...

I really expected a bad movie considering it was McG at the helm, but it actually had the same "B" movie feeling the other three had...he could use a little help in the story editing department (the flow was a little clunky here and there...almost like stuff was missing), but the script seemed solid enough to me.

The production was outstanding...this will a great demo disc when it hits BR, especially with the sound design...very layered and intense. The special effects were great and everything from sets to make-up to costumes and photography was a step up from the earlier films, giving it an epic feel...and Elfman's score sounded good...a little too reminiscent of his work on Marky Mark's Ape flick maybe, but still good none the less. It was cool to hear Fidel's main motif pop in once in a while at just the right times and hearing the snip of the GNR song was a good moment for the Connor character.

Now the cast...as mentioned by many others, this is definitely Worthington's show...the story invests a lot of time in Marcus's journey through the film and he does a great job. Bale was almost a supporting actor in this thing...he was competent, but not outstanding. Again, his role could have been sabotaged by the script and the editing as much as anything...

Like the recent "Star Trek" picture, this one had a lot of visual nods (and some obvious lines) to the earlier films, from the cool opening credits looking similar to the ones the first film to a lot of physical gags from other movies as well, especially with Marcus. The action sequences were well-staged and packed some punch.

And yes, the Arnold cameo featured some excellent work from ILM...very well integrated both visually and in the story....very cool. The ending? Well, I'll just leave it at...I like what the film presented way better than the "leaked" one....yeah, maybe it seemed a little sappy to some, but I though it fit well.

I'll see this again...don't think it will be a big hit, but maybe it'll do enough business to let McG make another one. After this entry. I'm game....

Maradona
05-24-2009, 10:54 PM
I saw the film on Friday night and have been mulling it over the past 2 days. I was disappointed in the story overall. I don't see it as being powerful enough to merit a film.

Why does it seem like Bale is constantly channeling an 80s wrestler when he speaks? I kept waiting for him to start saying "lemme tell ya, brother" every time he had dialogue. It's the same as his Batman.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-25-2009, 02:04 AM
I just saw it and thought it was fantastic! I was unsure for a while, what with the weird kid and the more-than-ridiculous 7-Eleven product placement, but I ended up really liking it a lot. I haven't seen the other films in a long time but it was definitely better than T3. I loved the callbacks to the other films, like seeing the picture of Sarah Connor and (of course) Arnold's cameo, which was indeed really well done. There was a lot of good stuff here, particularly surrounding the humanity vs. machine fight within the people themselves (which reminded me of the torture debate going on right now).

Overall, I highly recommend this one.

Mvader91
05-25-2009, 03:59 AM
I liked the film overall. I liked bringing back "U could be mine" from GunsNRoses in the third one. This attracted the motobot to Bale. Not bad overall. Enjoyed some of the tie ins and references.:thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. I thought it started off slow, but it picked up steam as it progressed. I particularly thought the Marcus character was well done....and having Mr. Chekov play Kyle Reese was pretty nice too. :)

Tycho
05-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Did you guys see Star Trek or Wolverine?

Look, I'm a huge Terminator fan, but this was no T2 or SCC.

Yes, the movie was "nice." But still I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but this hurt me that it wasn't as good as I'd planned for it to be.

Terminator means a lot to me due to my emotional involvement with the story, yet this one didn't go far enough in that direction.

I would have liked it if I left saying that "Salvation" was the best movie of the summer - the one to beat all others. But that title is Star Trek in so far as I'm concerned.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I think that when people get their hopes up so astronomically high, they're almost guaranteed to be disappointed. This is true in Tycho's case here. I'm not nearly as big a fan of the series as you are, so I wasn't expecting much out of this movie, and I ended up really liking it. I haven't seen any of the TV show, so I can't compare it to that. I don't think it's as good as T2 but it's still a really good, fun, cool movie, in my opinion.

I'll probably see Wolverine on DVD, but I'm not in any rush to do so. I doubt I'll see Star Trek.

sith_killer_99
05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
^ Grrr, guys like you are why SCC got canceled! jk

The problem is this movie hyped itself. You can't offer audiences a film about J-day/post J-day and an adult John Connor and not have unbelievable hype around it.

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Did you guys see Star Trek or Wolverine?

You know I saw both of those. I liked Salvation, it was a fun popcorn flick, but it wasn't anything compared to the first 2 Terminator films.

jedibear
05-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I went and saw it again on Monday night...

I liked it even more the second time. I know a lot of folks are disappointed, but for me, I think this is a movie I'll really enjoy even more with multiple viewings.

Among the things I really like are the whole production design...the look of the movie...everything from the set designs, the costumes. the cinematography, the special effects. McG surprised me by making a really sharp looking production. I liked Elfman's score too. There were little hints of Fidel there and even some passages that reminded me of McReady's work on T:SCC. That and the rich sound design are going to sound great on disc...

I like the story...it's a war movie that centers on two men with the war as a backdrop. I do find Marcus Wright's story much more compelling than Connors as they are presented here. It helps that Worthington does a really good job with his physical performance (especially with those little nods to Arnold's "stillness" along the way) and he comes across well acting-wise too.
I found his struggle with what he really was provided the most poignant moments in the movie. Compared to Marcus, Bale's John Conner seemed a little one-note with his performance throughout the film. Could be considered the nature of his character here but... There were some cool moments with him though, like when he pops on that GnR tune before capturing the MotoTerminator that brought back memories of his motorbike stunts in T2. I also liked that it was pretty clear that not every one in the resistance (most notably the higher-ups) though he was "all that", but the grunts in the trenches did...gave him an everyman appeal that was pretty cool.

The main thing that really shines though in this movie for me is that it really looks like an effort by folks that really cared about the Terminator saga and wanted to put out a good movie. As with any of these "franchise" movies, there are always fans who disagree with the approach taken with the film or story elements or casting choices or whatever. But it works great for me...

I hope this does well enough to let McG continue on with the next one. Thsi movie did it's job for me and made me ready to see more....

That's three for three for me do far this summer...I liked Wolverine, Star Trek and now this...

Rocketboy
05-27-2009, 10:47 PM
I enjoyed T4 quite a bit, but after listening to the slashfilm podcast and hearing about the drastic changes made to the script, I have to say it could have been far more interesting. Still very enjoyable as is though.

figrin bran
05-28-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm off to ride the Terminator Salvation coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain tomorrow!

I haven't even seen the film yet either.

Tycho
05-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Well if John Connor pilots your helicopter, you're going to throw up.

Phantom-like Menace
05-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Well if John Connor pilots your helicopter, you're going to throw up.

And go down.

figrin bran
05-30-2009, 01:48 AM
So the Terminator Salvation roller coaster was tons of fun! I got to go on it three times in a row before the line got too long.

There are two presentation bunkers you go through before boarding the actual coaster. Inside the bunkers are video screens and a bunch of equipment and on the screens, Barnes and a female character named Williams are featured. The premise of the ride is that Williams is out on recon and stumbles upon this abandoned Terminator factory that just happens to be Six Flags Magic Mountain. When she discovers that there are civilians inside (us riders), she and Barnes who is in a base somewhere else decide on the best way to get us out. There's something about a harvester as well as some Terminator busts that start moving along a conveyor.

The actual ride was a lot of fun and the trains just zip along the track. There's even a jeep that shoots out flames and onboard audio where you hear machine gun fire.

Some photos:

JetsAndHeels
05-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics, Figrin. Looks like that was alot of fun.

Tycho
05-30-2009, 02:59 AM
Figrin, did this replace another ride at Six Flags? Which one? I know that park very well as I used to make like 3 or more road trips there per year.

figrin bran
05-30-2009, 03:13 AM
Tycho, Terminator is in the spot roughly where Psyclone used to be. As Psyclone was torn down a few years back, they had to build this one from the ground up and it took them only five months.

Tycho
05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Huh. Psyclone was rather fun. I like the old wooden roller coasters.

I wonder why they tore it down?

It doesn't sound like they needed space for Terminator, as it doesn't sound like it had been in the planning at that time.

figrin bran
05-31-2009, 01:03 PM
I think Psyclone suffered a lot of structural damage over the years especially from earthquakes.