PDA

View Full Version : Price Increase at Target?

tgr3328
02-09-2004, 02:30 PM
I was at a local Target this weekend. They actually had some Saga figures, including the Secret Ceremony Anakin which I bought several weeks ago on clearance for $1.28. I also noticed that the prices were removed from the pegs so I took a figure and checked it on the handy red scanner. It rang up $5.99! Didn't they used to charge $4.99 for basic Saga figures? Has anyone else noticed this?

Kidhuman
02-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Yes they were 4.99 last time I was there. Well I know Wal-Mart still charges 4.77 for theirs. Ask D. McC about this price raise since he works there.

Silent Chazz
02-09-2004, 03:17 PM
They were 4.99 at the Target in Amarillo this past weekend. AND they had some good ones like Secret Ceremony Anakin, Brown Coat Hoth Han, Pit of Carkoon Boba, and the Throne Room Vader and Luke.

abell748
02-09-2004, 03:46 PM
I was at Target yesterday. I picked up the Holo Luke, Jabba's Palace Luke, R2 Bartender, and the skiff Lando. Pegs said $4.99, but the price rang up as $5.99. The woman was nice enough to change it when the other checker said I was right. Is the new price in the system, but not on the pegs yet? do they think that because so many of us shop for our SW stuff there now that they can charge what they want? I hope they are not trying to screw us, they are our only hope!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Same thing as abell. On Friday night, I saw some Imperial Dignataries and figures from that wave they had clearanced before, without the clearance sticker. The pegs said $4.99. So I went to scan them hoping they were still a clearance price, but they scanned at $5.99.

Jayspawn
02-09-2004, 06:04 PM
It better not go up. I really like the $4.99 price. I'm less likely to buy now if the $ goes up.

Ya HEAR THAT TARGET!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2004, 06:34 PM
I got some figures last week for $5.99 each. It's not too bad - that's what Target charged when AOTC came out. It could be worse, it could be $7 like during Episode I.

Banthaholic
02-09-2004, 06:43 PM
This might be a case were exclussives back fired on us.

We the customers were all too willing to pay $6.99 for the animated figures, heck it's only a line of 8, the couple extra dollars wan't too much to ask, considering Target was taking a risk by carrying the line.

Well Target looks at the sales reports and says, wow, SW fan's are willing to pay 6.99 for animated figures, I bet they would still pay 5.99 instead of 4.99, and we make an extra $1 profit!

Well I for one am not happy at all with Target about the change! Enough so I went online and ordered the HOF wave off of EE. Funny thing is that at $5.99, I can get the case shipped to me cheaper than buying at Target. Enough so that I lifted my 'ban' of wal-mart normal goods products. As long as wal-mart sells for $4.79 and target $5.99 I'll think twice about buying daily items from Target.

DarthChuckMc
02-09-2004, 07:02 PM
I'll check into it tomorrow. I just got promoted today (on my Birthday even!) to Toys/Sporting Goods Level 3...WOOHOO!!!!

If the shelf tag still says $4.99, they're $4.99, regardless of what they ring up. I'm not sure if any revisions to Toys are due, as I just got placed there, but I will keep you guys and gals posted.

Val Da Car
02-09-2004, 07:03 PM
The recent price increase has to do with old stock (Hoth Han (Brown =
Coat), SnowTrooper, Boba Fett POC, Anakin Skywalker (Secret =
Cememony),TRD Luke & Vader arriving to stores with an old sku (ending in =
326) from last year that was discontinued (since it was tied to ALL =
Collection 2 based figures ) to a new sku (1014) with the higher price.

The current toy department sku ending in 758 has the $4.99 price tags =
was for the R3p0, Bar2-D2, Hoth Luke & Hoth Trooper, R1-G4.

JediTricks
02-09-2004, 09:15 PM
When I found my Brown Coat Han Hoth last week, it rang up as $5.99 but the R-3PO on the pegs came up as $4.99. They adjusted Han's price to $4.99 since that's what the shelf tags all said. I hope Val Da Car's explanation is right and Target isn't going to jack up the price on the figures, that would put a massive dent in my Target shopping which has gone way up in the past 6 months directly due to them having SW figures at $4.99.

DarthQuack
02-10-2004, 12:28 AM
I will go ape *&$^ if they jack up the prices at Target.

-Matt

tgr3328
02-10-2004, 10:26 AM
The fact that the price stickers were removed from the pegs at this particular store makes me think that a price increase is intentional. As long as the old price remains, you can claim $4.99 as the price. In my case, I couldn't do that.

DarthQuack
02-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Because of your conscience?

-Matt

tgr3328
02-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Because you can't effectively argue that the correct price is $4.99 when they've already ripped that price from the pegs.

tgr3328
02-10-2004, 11:25 AM
But I do have a conscience. ;)

DarthQuack
02-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Ah, I understand now.

-Matt

broctoon
02-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Geez, I'm glad I stocked up on as many figures as possible when the Targets around here were doing the $1.18 thing. I was at my Target last night, and the pegs said $4.99, so I assume that's what they would ring up as (I didn't check 'cause they didn't have squat). But the weird thing was that last weekend I went to a Target where all the figures were ringing up as $0.00 on the scanners in the store, as well as at the registers. The cashier asked me how much they were, so of course I told him that they were supposed to be $1.18, and scored a whole bunch of new and old figures for under $20. :D

DarthQuack
02-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Damn, now that is a sweet deal if they ring up $0.00, and then say yea I saw them in the clearance rack for .99 cents.

-Matt

Kidhuman
02-10-2004, 01:00 PM
.99 cents........I would aim for 25 cents. But thats me, I have no conscience. :D :crazed:

DarthQuack
02-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Gotta make it partially believable.

-Matt

Val Da Car
02-10-2004, 01:39 PM
look closely at the Hasbro Toy Fair annoucement they are stating that the pricing for figures will be between $4.99 to $5.99 each for the Original Triology figures (but why not include the current figures out during the 2nd best year to market toys with the DVD release now offically announced to the world).

STAR WARS ORIGINAL TRILOGY COLLECTION

Ever since the classic Star Wars trilogy burst onto the screen in 1977, a new generation of movie and toy fans has continued the tradition of celebrating the past, present and future of the Star Wars universe. In 2004, Hasbro builds on the tradition with the Original Trilogy Collection of authentically detailed figures, vehicles and lightsabers, this time celebrating Lucasfilm's fall release of the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD. Hasbro's Original Trilogy Collection will recapture the magic of the first three Star Wars film releases from the late 70s and early 80s for a new generation of kids, bringing back the memorable black-and-silver retro package look and collectible new versions of the earliest Star Wars toys. In addition to updated action figure versions of the most favorite characters from the first three films, Hasbro is bringing back one of the most legendary spaceships in the galaxy -- available for the first time since 1996 will be the Millennium Falcon. (Approx. $4.99-59.99; Available in fall)

DarthQuack
02-10-2004, 01:40 PM
I think you meant between 4.99 and 59.99 for all figures, playsets, vehicles, etc.

-Matt

Kidhuman
02-10-2004, 01:41 PM
I would hope a basic figure isnt 59.99.

Ric Olie
02-10-2004, 08:46 PM
I hope Walmart doesn't raise their prices.

Kidhuman
02-10-2004, 09:02 PM
I hope Walmart doesn't raise their prices.

I doubt they would since they just did an entire rest of their toy department. Even if they did, they would still be the cheapest place to get them, if they ever had any new ones.

DarthQuack
02-11-2004, 12:29 AM
You would need to go ahead in time about 6 months if you want to see current figures at Wal-Mart, maybe longer. :o

-Matt

jad
02-11-2004, 10:29 AM
You would need to go ahead in time about 6 months if you want to see current figures at Wal-Mart, maybe longer. :o

-Matt

Actually my local walmarts have been pretty good as of late. Normally i'd agree. Unfortunately I usually miss everything, as it's been picked over by the local scalpers. However my wife happened to be in walmart yesterday and found me the new Ultra Jabba and Court Denizens! :) Needless to say when I got home from work I was extremely stolked!

arctangent
02-11-2004, 11:26 AM
you guys in the states really shouldn't moan at the price of star wars figures. in the uk we have to pay 6.99 for your basic 3 3/4" figure which works out to about $10.50. then, because toy shops don't stock star wars anymore, we have to buy online or via mail order, so you can add postage on to that too. you guys are lucky!

Turbowars
02-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I would hope a basic figure isnt 59.99.$59.99 is the price point for the Falcon.

Kidhuman
02-11-2004, 11:45 AM
$59.99 is the price point for the Falcon.

I kinda got that Captain obvious............:D :crazed: :Pirate:

jad
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
you guys in the states really shouldn't moan at the price of star wars figures. in the uk we have to pay 6.99 for your basic 3 3/4" figure which works out to about $10.50. then, because toy shops don't stock star wars anymore, we have to buy online or via mail order, so you can add postage on to that too. you guys are lucky!

I live in the states, but I agree with your comment. 6 bucks isn't bad at all, especially considering some of the great figures coming out this year. I always said that I'd be willing to pay an extra buck per figure if hasbro would improve the figures and take out the crappy action features. I for one don't have a problem with it, i'm just happy to get some of these figures period :)

Turbowars
02-11-2004, 12:24 PM
I scanned a 4.99 tag today and sure enough, it came up as 5.99. I guess if I ever find anything, I will bring the tag to the register.

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I also noticed that $59.99 price point and guessed it's for the Falcon as well, but how the hell does Hasbro justify jacking the price of this toy up yet another $10 on a mold that they never had to pay for in the first place?!? This is one of the reasons I don't respect Hasbro anymore, 20 years ago, GI Joe vehicles were plentiful and many of them were a VALUE for the money you spent, but the most important part for Hasbro about these awesome vehicles was that they SOLD MORE FIGURES! Having the Falcon, one of THE most sci-fi starships ever and certainly iconic to SW, be sixty bucks will make it unlikely kids will get it and therefore unlikely that they will buy more figures to hang out with it (which is probably good since the kids then won't find out that their figures likely don't fit in it anyway).

Val Da Car
02-12-2004, 11:33 PM
I went back to my local target and now the same figures are back to the old target sku and back to $4.99

I had contacted headquarters over the past two weeks and brought them up to date how the Han Solo/Snowtrooper/TRD Luke & Vader/ Boba Fett POC all switched skus and went up a dollar each.

They apologized in writing about this issue and sent me a giftcard.

I spent it on two more figures from the same wave.

looks like the issue might be over.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I found the same thing out yesterday. They must have fixed it everywhere. Good score on the gift card.

JediTricks
02-14-2004, 03:15 PM
How much was on the gift card, $1? :D (well, that WOULD make sense)

I spotted 2 Han Hoths at Target Pasadena yesterday, that's the same figure that I had scan $5.99 at a Target about 10 miles down the road the week before, only these and their case-mates were the proper $4.99 price. Glad to hear Target isn't bumping their price up, and I'm glad we didn't post in the news about this. :D

Val Da Car
02-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Target tossed a $10 giftcard at me with a little letter on this issue...I will set it up framed it next to my framed star trek comic book as the runner up on the best gifts I never asked for...