PDA

View Full Version : Do you know.....

humsup
08-19-2001, 08:00 AM
....that the Bantha in ANH is actually an ELEPHANTS :eek:

Apparently, a Bantha costume was prepared and the elephant was made to wear that. Obviously the animal was not too thrill about the new costume and the shooting was delayed quite a bit.

This piece of info was obtained from the book Starwars Chronicles that I was flipping in a bookshop this afternoon. Cool!!

Eternal Padawan
08-19-2001, 09:12 AM
....the Ewoks were all MIDGETS??

Short people dressed up in costumes in Return of the Jedi. Rirchard Marquand couldn't wrangle them like Master George could so it delayed filming for awhile.

bigbarada
08-19-2001, 01:50 PM
Ummmm, what did you think the Banthas were under that costume? Rabbits? Chipmunks?

2-1B
08-19-2001, 02:04 PM
Elephants? Wow, I always assumed it was the same CTW workers who brought Snuffaluf***us (sp?) to life . . .

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2001, 05:04 PM
Don't be so hard on humsup. There were a few things that took me a long time to realize, about the movies. He might've thought they were robotic, or something, like the dewback were supposed to be.

humsup
08-19-2001, 09:43 PM
Thanks BCJ for coming to my defence. I have never thought an elephant will be used for shooting the Bantha and BCJ was right, I tot they used roboting or even a modified truck for that. Or Computer graphics ...... but silly me, with the kind of technology back in 1977, its quite unlikely to make the Bantha so life like and with natural movements as we saw in the film. :)

GNT
08-20-2001, 04:16 AM
.....I do now!

I never really though about it until now,you learn something everyday :)

TeeEye7
08-20-2001, 08:12 AM
RIGHT ON, B-CJ! :)

There's always something new to find out about the Star Wars universe.....EpI has generated new interest for a whole generation never exposed the OT before now. Instead of criticizing, how about applauding their thirst for knowledge for things SW like you now possess?

*Sheesh, people!*:mad:

Obi-Don
08-20-2001, 09:23 AM
AMEN!TeeEye7,Everyone learns something new everyday, if not what would all this be for?

JEDIpartner
08-20-2001, 09:30 AM
No more in-fighting amongst the Senate members will be tolerated!!!

evenflow
08-20-2001, 09:54 AM
I actually knew that the Bantha's were elephants. Just one of those things.

Eternal Padawan
07-08-2002, 04:06 PM
I didn't know that most of the matte paintings in the OT were matte paintings until I was much older.

Slave-1 on Cloud City, The Ewok Village, The DS II landing bay (including all the Stormtroopers), The Rebel landing bay in ROJ, even Vader landing on Endor. All matte paintings.

Exhaust Port
07-08-2002, 08:05 PM
I'm suprised no one has said it yet but here it goes:

"Now you know and knowing is half the battle."

:)

MFH
07-08-2002, 11:03 PM
Good thing we have CG these days. There is no way in hell the animal rights activists would let elephants be dressed up anymore.

But, nobody would complain about the midgets ...

DarthBatman
07-10-2002, 01:37 AM
I'd compain about midgets. Midgets are like hobbits, and where would we be if Frodo hadn't destroyed the ring, eh?

RooJay
07-11-2002, 04:57 AM
Did you also know that the elephant's name was Mardji? Up until her death a several years ago she had been a ward of the Marine World Foundation, and lived at a park called Marine World which is located in my hometown (the park was located in Redwood City, CA during the original filming, but was later moved here along with Mardji). Marine World even had the original Bantha costume in it's posession, though they never bothered to put it on display or even take care of it. It used to sit out in the open air behind a fence just off Marine World Parkway until it either fell apart or was finally discarded. It was truly sad watching it sit there and rot. I really wish I had thought to do something about it while it was still there.:(

Beast
07-11-2002, 06:19 AM
Mardji The Elephant was famous before Star Wars even. She was also I believe the Skippy Peanut Butter spokesman back in the 60's and 70's. They also used her walk motions, when designing the AT-AT's for Empire Strikes Back. So she has connections with the first 2 Star Wars films. :)

Empire's Elephant (http://www.starwars.com/episode-v/classic/2001/10/classic20011031.html)

This picture should bring back memories for you Roojay, I dug it up browsing around trying to confirm which peanut butter company it was that had Mardji as a spokesman. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
07-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Cool! Thanks JJB! That would've been the costume on display when the park was located in Redwood City. Sadly, they never put it on public display when the park moved here.

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Yea I never really knew it until now either. I never did give it real thought. That is the magic of SW. Watching the movie and never trying to figure things out.

gibbspaulus
07-12-2002, 07:54 AM
It took me years to realise that the 'apes' in 2001 weren't....

Darth Sidious
07-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
No more in-fighting amongst the Senate members will be tolerated!!!

Thats right, or I will have them bogged down in procedures. :evil:
I had known they were elephants, but before I learned that I thought they were robotic too.