PDA

View Full Version : Official News: Star Wars Trilogy DVD's - Sept 21st!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Beast
02-10-2004, 02:51 AM
No news on StarWars.Com yet, but there should be some soon. But Lucasfilm has officially announced that the SE versions of the OT will finally make a bow on DVD this September in a 4 disc set. I wish they would have followed the same release look as the PT, but as Lucas has said time and again there isn't as many available extras to fill a bonus disc for each film. Either way, who cares. We finally have our OT DVD's. :D

Force finally is with DVD
SCOTT HETTRICK Mon Feb 9, 7:00 PM ET

(Variety) The last big franchise holdouts are finally making their DVD bows Sept. 21, when Lucasfilm and Fox release the original "Star Wars Trilogy."

"The timing is right since there is tremendous pent-up demand and DVD is now in more than 50 million households," Fox Video president Mike Dunn said.

The four-disc set is being timed to begin rebuilding interest in the "Star Wars" series in advance of next year's theatrical release of "Star Wars: Episode III."
Jim Ward, Lucasfilm VP of marketing and distribution and exec producer of the DVD, would not comment on what kind of sneak peeks or promotional tie-in for the theatrical release of "Episode III" may accompany the DVD set.

Similar to the "Indiana Jones" set introduced last year by Paramount, the digitally restored and remastered "Star Wars" movies will be sold only as a complete four-disc set. Special-edition versions of each movie will be featured on separate discs: "Star Wars: Episode IV--- A New Hope," "Episode V --- The Empire Strikes Back" and "Episode VI --- Return of the Jedi." Fourth disc is reserved for bonus features including never-before-seen footage from the making of each film.

Pricing and bonus features are being worked out, but Ward said the collection probably will be priced about $50 (similar to the "Indiana Jones" collection), and each film will include an audio commentary by a collection of cast and crew, including George Lucas.

"Star Wars" is the biggest homevideo franchise in the world, with more than 115 million copies sold worldwide on cassette, according to Fox. The videocassette versions of the first three films, released separately and together in various incarnations from the 1980s through '97, sold more than 70 million copies worldwide.

Ward said Lucasfilm wants to refresh the memories of previous fans and introduce new ones to the story of the movies that will be directly set up by the conclusion of "Episode III."

Previous laserdisc and videocassette editions and TV programs included behind-the-scenes material, but Ward said it has yet to be determined how much of that will be repurposed on these discs. The original versions of the movies will not be included.

LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU ON DVD IN SEPT.
By MICHAEL GILTZ

February 10, 2004 -- PUT down that light saber and pick up a credit card: The "Star Wars" trilogy is finally coming to DVD Sept. 21.
Fans have long been clamoring for DVD versions of the trilogy, the last holdouts from the top 200 grossing films of all time to be scheduled for release on DVD.

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas has finally relented, after insisting the three movies wouldn't be released until the final "Star Wars" hits theaters in May 2005.

The set (details like pricing are still unavailable) will include four DVDs, with the fourth disc containing a brand-new two-hour documentary.

The DVDs, which are certain to be blockbusters, are also certain to be controversial: Despite pleas from "Star Wars" fanatics all over the world, these DVDs will not contain the original theatrical version of the movies.

Instead, the DVDs will include the much-debated versions director Lucas released in the '90s with new digital effects and plot twists that softened the character of Han Solo - even though DVD makes it easy to offer both the original and director's cut of a movie.

It's simply a matter of an artist's right, says Jim Ward, a Lucasfilm vice president and the executive producer of the set.

"We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

The original "Star Wars" from 1977 is the second-highest-grossing movie of all time in the U.S. (behind "Titanic"), and all three "Star Wars" movies in the trilogy still rank in the Top 20.

Sept. DVD bow for 'Star Wars Trilogy'
By Brett Sporich

"Star Wars Trilogy," one of the most-requested DVD episodic film franchises, is expected to be released as a four-disc DVD box set Sept. 21, with a global rollout on DVD expected within days of the domestic release, according to Lucasfilm Ltd. and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

The trilogy featuring the classic franchise films "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" will be released on three DVD discs, with a fourth disc likely to hold a newly made documentary about the "Star Wars" franchise and never-before-seen footage, among several other bonus materials, said Jim Ward, Lucasfilm's vp marketing and distribution and the DVD trilogy's executive producer.

"We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," Ward said. "But I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."

Lucasfilm and Fox chose the September release date to maximize on holiday gift buying during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn said.

"We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he said. "With that in mind, we designed our release strategy to pick the best release date that had the most gentle sales curve decline on home video, and that's how we got to the September release date."

Combining huge consumer demand for the "Star Wars" franchise with being first out of the gate during the busy fourth-quarter home video market, Fox and Lucasfilm are hoping to cash in on DVD sales throughout the holidays and up until the theatrical release of "Star Wars: Episode III," which set for release nationwide May, 25, 2005, Dunn and Ward said.

Each of the three films in the "Star Wars Trilogy" has been digitally restored and remastered by THX for sound and picture quality, Ward said.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer," Ward said. "On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the 'Star Wars' films in a fresh and fun way. We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the "Star Wars Trilogy" will be sold exclusively as a collection at a still-to-be-determined retail price and not separately, Fox executives said. However, retailers have been known to break up collector's DVD box sets and sell individual titles after the first month out on store shelves.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The 'Xir
02-10-2004, 03:53 AM
I bet you anything that, Lucas will just pump the Special Editions as is, out on DVD to fill demand, with probably just all the same making of featurettes on disc 4 taht we've already seen...meaning nothing at all new!Then after EpisdoeIII comes out he'll take the time to remaster each one, and probably release them separately and put never before seen stuff on each new release, just to milk us fans even more, just like when the Video sets came out with that whole, "one last time" promotion! I think I bought 3 different video sets in the manner of 5 years during that time. Boy did I ever fall hard! :rolleyes: However, I always kinda looked at it as I'm donating my money to help make EpI!!! ;) :D

Beast
02-10-2004, 04:08 AM
God, I hate the official Star Wars site. I was dropping by most of the forums I'm on, and posting the news for everyone to know. And I dropped a thread in there with links to the news stories. And some a**head moderator actually closed my thread. Stating that the news isn't official. Hello, the press releases have statements from FOX and Lucasfilm about the releases. How can they act so assinine about this sort of thing. :mad:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-10-2004, 05:38 AM
:D:D:D:D:D

I can't wait until 21st Sept :D. Hopefully the UK will get the DVD set at the same time, or, if not, the day before like Episode I and II :D! I'm glad it's finaly been anounced :D. StarWars.com will probably update later today with more info on it, and possibly some cover art :).

Thanx for the heads up JJB :)

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Outrage! I want both versions of the films!

I understand his rights as creator and all that, but I'm not happy about it.

Well, at least I'll have widescreen versions of the films with some 5.1 sound. That's better than no OT on dvd.

Pendo
02-10-2004, 06:37 AM
Looks like we'll be getting an Audio Commentary too :D

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23185

Hopefully there'll be one on all three movies :)

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2004, 06:43 AM
Good, I'll be able to listen to Lucas and Co. defend the broadway scene out of ROTJ and that lame scene of Han and Greedo. Maybe some off chance Harrison will be included to do commentary and voice outrage over that Greedo scene! OUTRAGE! :mad:

Kidhuman
02-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Well, its about time. FInally OT on DVD. I bet ya anything the original versions wont be far behind this. Probably 2008 for the anniversary(hopefully, George, please, sir...........)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2004, 08:37 AM
This is delightful, but i want the SE & the OT both out on DVD. I like the SE, but the OT is much better in my opinion.

and Jar Jar don't even get into that wacky debate with me my friend; the OT are the OT and the SE are the SE; not the same thing!!! :crazed:

Beast
02-10-2004, 09:19 AM
It's the same thing, my friend. Just one is a Special Edition of the Original Trilogy. :rolleyes: By the way, the official site has the news up now, so enjoy. :)

The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD
February 10, 2004

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.

"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set.
http://starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/02/news20040210.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Alex
02-10-2004, 09:21 AM
For what it's worth at this point, here's my angle.
As members of the press have pointed out, this release could have been done in the style of the Alien releases. It would have been very cool to see the original films with an option to also view the special edition versions. I remember something on one of the Star Wars sites about the Library of Congress reaction a few years back to Lucas saying that the SE version would be the only ones we get. Their gripe was that Lucas was indulging in revisionist history. An Alien-style release on DVD would be the perfect example to showcase the full-scope of the SW releases. It's interesting that when you look at the all time box office tally, the original trilogy and the SEs are lumped together. Lucas can't seem to grab enough cash, so from a financial standpoint, why not put out what the fans want? A piece of history...now done late-nineties style:rolleyes: .
I'm also very interested in what packaging we get. I really like the style of the first 2 films and frankly I thought they both made good 2 disc sets. The spines of the DVDs look good together. The menus look great. Indiana Jones is cool, but what will we get for the original films? Maybe all my complaining is for nothing, but there are scenes from both movies that we still do not have; Maul vs. Qui-gon on the ramp(Tatooine) and some of the end duel(Geonosis),for example. Maybe one day we'll get an uber-double-trilogy box with more scenes like these and more of the 600+ hours of documentary from Ep 1.
Like most that read this, I will lay down my gripes. I will buy the box when it comes out. I wasn't happy about the Indiana Jones box not having commentary, but some directors like Lynch and Spielburg opt not to do it.
At least we get commentary. It also looks like the rumors are not true, that we won't get additional tweaking to the films effects or Han shooting first again. Oh well...at least I'll have a version of the Trilogy. That will be fun come the fall. At least...until I lock myself in my apartment and watch the glory of LOTR:ROTK EE. Not a dig, but Peter Jackson knows how to do DVD. Let face it...you get what you saw in the theatre, then you get more than you would have hoped for. Folks, I care about the SW legacy, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge just because George Lucas makes decisions contrary to what the fans that got him there want. He, I would hope, is smart enough to see that there is a reason LOTR is so loved. Part of it is the all-around scope of the legacy. DVD as a preservation tool is something that Jackson gets and Lucas does not. There is a reason the EE versions of the LOTR movies are so essential. The SEs of Star Wars don't even come close...
Just some thoughts....:neutral:

Beast
02-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Alex, Lucas has said time and again that there isn't that much available material to fill 2-disc sets of the OT. Remeber that E1, E2, and the LOTR trilogy were filmed at a time that nearly every aspect of the production were filmed for future DVD content. In the days of Star Wars, they didn't have that luxury. You cannot compare the extras on the LOTR movies to films shot 20+ years ago. It's ludicrous to even try. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
02-10-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm passing on these. I don't think they appear to have very much to offer. I'm fine with my booties until a proper set is released.

Beast
02-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Passing on Audio Commenatry, new documentary, and never before seen footage? Wow, I could understand holding steadfast and not buying because it's the SE, but to not buy because of lack of extras? Wow. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-10-2004, 09:52 AM
JJB's right. Although each movie isn't a 2-disc set, there's still plenty of mouth watering material to make the DVD set amazing, and that's even without the full extras list :)!

Do you think ILM will go through removing little things like Han's reflection in the glass in ROTJ, and the visible crew members in C-3PO, or the boxes around some of the ships?

PENDO!

Beast
02-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Well, it does say a full restoration. Can't be to hard to tweek those little things. And maybe make Vader's lightsaber red as the blast doors are closing. Other then that, don't do any major tweeks. Save those for a future Archival Edition after EIII is all said and done. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
02-10-2004, 10:38 AM
No matter how you lok at it, JJB is right. It is the OT on DVD finally. You would have toget it on principal alone. Iam not to keen on the SE but it is a must have IMO

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2004, 10:46 AM
You cannot compare the extras on the LOTR movies to films shot 20+ years ago. It's ludicrous to even try. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

You're right, Jar Jar, because PJ knows how to do DVD releases properly unlike Lucas who isn't giving his fans the right to decide which they want to watch, the SE or the OT; PJ knows that some casual finds enjoy the regular films and while many others prefer the EE versions. I know we disagree on this topic and i don't dive into that, but i do feel that some fans like the SE and some of them love the OT, but we should be given the right to watch which one takes our fancy. The SE's are nifty and all, but the OT is where its at for a MAJORITY of fans. I don't even want extra crap on an OT release, just give me the original glory of the OT on DVD and i'll shut my mouth.

I'll prolly get these, but come fall, I gurantee you that the EE of Return of the King will be getting far more play on my DVD player than the SE will. I'll just to resort to my bootlegs of the OT like my friend JediPartner until one day when we get the OT released officially from Lucas. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Do you think ILM will go through removing little things like Han's reflection in the glass in ROTJ, and the visible crew members in C-3PO, or the boxes around some of the ships?

PENDO!

Are you kiddin' Pendo, not only is Lucas and ILM going to remove these things, they're going to add stuff in!!! No more boxes around the ships, but a few wampas and a new CGI version of Jabba the hut!!! Visible crew members in C-3PO; no more my friend, but he's going to be surrounded by some BRAND NEW CGI versions of huge Wookies and dewbacks! :crazed:

Beast
02-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Tell that to the people who have the Laserdisc of 'The Frightners'. The one that contains hours of deleted scenes, bonus material, commentary, making of features and extra candy. Extras totalling about 5 hours. That's not available on DVD at the moment. As for the Original Versions ever being released, well as Tom Servo (Or was it Crow?) once said.... "Wish in one hand, and crap in another. And see which one piles up first." :)

http://horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/frighteners-ld/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-10-2004, 12:27 PM
I'll get it. :)

Exhaust Port
02-10-2004, 12:44 PM
I think there is plenty of extra stuff they can add. Sure there isn't much extra/behind the scenes stuff from 25+ years ago but why not shoot some new docmentaries? I would love to see they go into the vaults and give us complete access to all the models they used? How about interviewing all the model makers that built them? How about documenting how they store all the SW stuff? Why not give us an extra disc per movie that would include just the soundtracks? Or a documentary discussing the music? Get JW's involved!

I don't know, I'm sure there is a lot of stuff they can add in that would be of interest to SW fans. It won't be your standard DVD extra but still interesting.

bobafrett
02-10-2004, 12:57 PM
I'll end up getting it, even though I would have rather seen the version released in 1977, without all the extra bells and whistles. I would have loved to have both versions in fact, to show my son, and eventually grandkids. Oh well, GL has the bucks, and I'm just a Star Wars lovin' schmuck.

Darth Kirk
02-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Zipadee doo dah, zipadee ay, my OHHH my what a wonderul day... They better have The Star Wars Christmas Special on the fourth disk!!!! :crazed:

Daye Azur-Jamin
02-10-2004, 02:27 PM
i want my ORIGINAL TRILOGY damit...enough of this special edition mess...Lucas ****ed his own movies IMO

Mandalorian Candidat
02-10-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm amazed at all the griping going on in this thread (don't worry, I'll throw in my two hypocritical cents as well :crazed: ). We finally get the trilogy before the release of EP3 and what are we doing? By no means am I a Lucas worshiper but at least we could be somewhat happy for this release. I don't love everything about the SE like most fans, but come on, is this really a big surprise? He's said all along that this is his vision of how the movies should exist so of course he's going to pull a Clinton and deny, deny, deny that the OT ever existed as we know it. This is exactly what was hinted at all along; the SE with one extra disc. I'm surprised that this news seems to be taking everyone else off guard.

With that being said I still wish for a) the original trilogy to be available on DVD, b) a ton of extras (Come on JJB, they're there in Lucas' vault. I don't think he's thrown anything away. Have you ever seen what that guy keeps around?) including the holiday special, the original making of SW from 1977/78 (it was on VHS in 1995 with the OT available by mail-away), and all the other behind-the-scenes stuff that they filmed and saved and c) a separate commentary track with the actors.

However, I will forgive G.Lu. for all his previous transgressions if he makes this boxed set Rick McCallum-free. :)

El Chuxter
02-10-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm not griping at all (see: :D), but I know from stuff I've seen there's easily enough extra material to do a 2-disc set of ROTJ. There's a making of special from 1982 or 1983 that's, IIRC, 2 hours by itself.

Just like TPM didn't include "From Star Wars to Star Wars: The History of ILM," I doubt they'll be included.

Exhaust Port
02-10-2004, 03:17 PM
I'm amazed at all the griping going on in this thread...
Some people after winning a free DVD from Best Buy would complain that they had to drive to the store to get it. :)

Darth Trymybestus
02-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Excellent news! Can't wait to pick these up. As for the extra's, I don't care if there are only a few items. Quality over quantity. I am interested in watching whatever documentaries there are. The audio commentaries will be truly fascinating.

I do have a question... I hope they actually do some edits to the movie. In a New Hope, when Luke ignites his lightsaber, the picture pauses for a split second, I find this kind of irritating and hope they change it. Who else has noticed this?

I want them to replace the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back with Ian McDiarmid.

As for them not replacing the originals, I'm glad they're not. To me, the Special Editions are the Original Trilogy.

Oh, I have another question too. I'm sure that JarJarBinks can answer me: It says
Each of the three films in the "Star Wars Trilogy" has been digitally restored and remastered by THX for sound and picture quality, Ward said.

How good will the quality be? Will it be close to the quality of the Phantom Menace DVD? I'm not an expert on DVD sound and picture so I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this?

B'Omarr Monkey
02-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Remember, this set is coming out because all of us whined for it. Lucas didn't want to put one out until he could give it his full attention after Ep III was behind him. I've posted elsewhere in the past that his intention was to include (at least for ANH) a version of the movie without the SFX added, so we can see how much they contribute to the film, and a version of the movie with the SFX but without Ben Burtt's sound design and the musical score so that we can appreciate just how much they add to the film. I hope he still does this when he puts out the deluxe box set of all 6 films (start saving $ now) probably in 2007.

As for what could be included now; there's the batch of "making of" specials for tv including the terrific "From Puppets to People" or whatver it was called for ROTJ. There's also all the documentary stuff from the beginning of the SE videos. There's all the deleted footage including the Biggs on Tatooine stuff, the Madine in battle stuff, etc. All the trailers and tv spots. I believe there was a short documentary shot for the Radio version of ANH. They could probably provide footage from newscasts and interview shows from when the movies opened. There's the test version of ANH which was given a lot of attention in the Insider, where rear screen projection was tried instead of blue screen, and Han was seen in his booth in the cantina with some woman.

I'd also love to see a visit to the Lucasfilm archives to see all of the props, and maybe a David West Reynolds visits the locations as they stand now kind of thing. They could also do new interviews with all of the cast and technicians about the making of the OT. They could also have poster, still and behind the scenes galleries, including a lot of material collected in that $150 book put out by Chronicle about seven years ago. Galleries of the various merchandise that came from the movie. I also wouldn't mind seeing a side by side comparison of the scenes as originally shown vs the SE versions.

This is just off the top of my head and 90% of this stuff already exists and could be made available. Compiling interviews and newscast stuff from the original opening of ANH would take some time to put together as would new interviews. Hopefully that stuff will be included in the deluxe version. I also wouldn't mind Easter egg features -- not simply hiding them in there, but a documentary that tells what easter eggs were hidden in the movies and actually shows where to find them such as the potato asteroid, Shaak asteroid,sneaker ship, and TIE and X-Wing fighters in the Coruscant traffic.

Listing all this stuff makes me want to ask LFL to let me put the DVDs together for them.

JediTricks
02-10-2004, 07:39 PM
From what I've heard, each of the non-SE laserdiscs has more than enough extras for each movie to fill these DVDs. I hope someday that Lucas (or Fox or somebody) simply takes those and ports them to DVD. For now, I'm glad we'll have these movies at DVD-quality, but they are not enough for me. Having only the SEs after decades of viewers enjoyed the originals seems slightly disrespectful of those fans.

Beast
02-10-2004, 08:28 PM
I have them. And there's not as much as you'd think. The best feature of the set is the 'Tour of the Lucasfilm Archives'. Which is around 30 minutes, and shows off the archives building. Showing off a lot of the props and masks from the Trilogy. We were told in the late 90's, that it was the last time the Original Versions would ever be available again on Home Video. So I'm more impressed that Lucas stuck to his guns on that issue. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

tagmac
02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I would love to see every one of the old TV spots and movie trailers from '77-'84 on the DVD's, but with Lucas' recent attitude, I doubt we'll see it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I would love to see every one of the old TV spots and movie trailers from '77-'84 on the DVD's, but with Lucas' recent attitude, I doubt we'll see it.

Don't fret Tagmac, i'm sure once Lucas realizes he can extra dewbacks, a wampa here and there and maybe totally revamp them using THX technology, he'll put them on the discs!! :crazed:

plo koon 200
02-10-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm sure we will get trailers. I am glad for the ful-legth documentary. I think this one will blow away "The Begining" one and possibly the current two prequel movies. I'm sure it will be great. And audio commentary. It sounds like the first discs for all of these are the same set up as EI and EII. Don't forget that the EII bonus disc is very different from the EI bonus disc.

I can't complain. I think the SE's are an improvement over the OT and I hope that the lightsabers in EIV get fixed. That is the one thing above all else I want to see done to these films. I may cry if they are not.

JEDIpartner
02-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Okay... there may be a dearth of material added to these discs... but I don't find it compelling enough to actually OWN. I will probably borrow a friend's set and watch those and get what I want out of them. I just see all of this going by the way of the "Star Trek" film series. Sure... they are all out now. In a few months (years in this case)... ooh! We've re-remastered them and look at all of these lovely extras and MORE! I'm just not willing to fall into that trap again.

It's not as if I find myself watching the extras over and over and over. I can tell you that I only do the commentary track once. It's just not that fascinating to me as far as repeat viewing goes.

Beast
02-19-2004, 12:19 PM
We have confirmation of the first cast member to sign on for the audio commentaries. Carrie Fisher, Princess Leia Organa herself on UK TV, confirmed that she's going to be joining George and other cast members for Audio Commentary on the OT. Yay!!

And here's another Rumor Mill-worthy bit of info. The Force.net has gotten wind that Lucasfilm's French press release for the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs says the set will include "exclusive cut scenes." Also, actress Carrie Fisher was apparently on U.K. TV yesterday, and reportedly confirmed that she's going to be doing audio commentary for the release. With any luck, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford will chime in as well.

SW on DVD: Fisher to do Commentary
Tue, Feb 17, 04 09:40:55 PM EST

Richard writes in to tell us that he was surprised we haven't put this on the site yet: Carrie Fisher said on UK TV yesterday that she is doing a commentary for the Star Wars DVDs! So far, Lucas has been confirmed unofficially, now add Princess Leia to the list. We would expect Hamill and others to sign shortly as well.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-19-2004, 12:41 PM
By "UK TV" do they mean the channel called "UKTV" or any channel in the UK? Because they don't mention what TV Programme she was on I can't really check to see if she was on any TV shows. I've had a look at some chat shows and can't seem to find her name. I can't really think of tat as Official information until I find out more about what and when she was on TV over here.

I hope it IS true though :).

PENDO!

Bosskman
02-19-2004, 02:21 PM
I'll just be glad to own ANY OT movies on DVD. It's cool bout the commentary though, but it's gonna be weird since its over 25 years ago that SW was made. How much are they actually gonna remember and how much will be hindsight?

Toad
02-19-2004, 02:45 PM
I'll just be glad to own ANY OT movies on DVD. It's cool bout the commentary though, but it's gonna be weird since its over 25 years ago that SW was made. How much are they actually gonna remember and how much will be hindsight?

You'd be surprised; I can remember highly insignificant events in my life from 20 years ago and I'm only 25! lol

I bet that -- coke aside -- she and the others will be able to remember lots of stuff and provide some interesting insight.

So happy to hear she has signed on to do it!!! What a smart woman; I can only hope the others are able to do it as well. I know Harrison Ford can sometimes be a jackass, but maybe for once he'll realize that Star Wars fans helped him get where is is now, and he won't turn his back on the franchise when it needs him most!

Beast
02-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Since Carrie's signed on, I wonder if there will be any mention of 'Wacky Tobaccy' on the commentary. I'm sure she'll atleast make a few comments about her thoughts about the Slave Girl costume. Since she's talked about it with George before. ;)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
02-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Since Carrie's signed on, I wonder if there will be any mention of 'Wacky Tobaccy' on the commentary. I'm sure she'll atleast make a few comments about her thoughts about the Slave Girl costume. Since she's talked about it with George before. ;)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yeah, I heard her say in one interview that the metal bra didn't cling to her chest well, and you could see everything if you were standing above looking down. Not those exact words, but something to that affect.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-19-2004, 05:17 PM
I'd also like to see Frank Oz and James Earl Jones in there too. Maybe not for the whole movie, but just where their parts are.

So, is there going to be one commentary per movie or multiple ones? The LOTR EEs do it great with PJ, Fran, and Philippa and the other one with the whole cast. I like that separation because it you can see things differently through their perspectives. Somthing with the whole cast on one track, then just George on another would be good, IMO.

JediTricks
02-19-2004, 10:34 PM
I believe Carrie Fisher said that the metal bikini wasn't as form-fitting as it needed to be and Boba Fett could see everything, and she didn't just mean the bra.

bobafrett
02-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Yes JT, that sounds a bit more like what she said. I don't believe it was any Lucas released interviews, more like MTV or something of that nature.

Pendo
02-20-2004, 07:08 AM
So what's your guys commentary wish list?

Here's mine:
A New Hope
George Lucas
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
Harrison Ford
Anthony Daniels
Peter Mayhew
David Prowse
Gary Kurtz
John Williams
Ben Burtt

The Empire Strikes Back as above plus:
Irvin Kershner
Frank Oz
Billy Dee Williams

Return Of The Jedi same as A New Hope plus:
Frank Oz
Billy Dee Williams

I haven't added James Earl Jones to my lists as he didn't really have much to do with the production. Although I love his work in the movies, he was just sat in a booth reading out his lines so probably wouldn't have too much to say :).

PENDO!

Beast
02-20-2004, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't expect David Prowse anywhere near the audio commentary. Since he's sorta been a pain in Lucas' arse over the years. What with dropping the fake spoiler he was told about ESB to the press (Obi-Wan being Luke's daddy), amongst other things. Plus that massive stink D.P. made about wanting to play Anakin in the prequels. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Yes JT, that sounds a bit more like what she said. I don't believe it was any Lucas released interviews, more like MTV or something of that nature.
I thought it was from the Rolling Stone interview.

I don't like these LFL multi-person commentary tracks. Maybe if they were a secondary track with JUST Lucas - or even better, Lucas with Gary Kurtz - as the first track, I'd like them more, but they're too edited and amalgamated and overly-busy for my tastes. John Williams should do a separate score-only track on each film; Ben Burtt should do a sound f/x-focused track on each film as well.

Pendo's list looks good, though I'd add John Dykstra (f/x supervisor) to ANH, Lawrence Kasdan (writer) to ESB and ROTJ, Paul Hirsch (editor) to ANH and ESB, and Ralph McQuarrie (concept and production artist) to all 3... and Marcia Lucas (editor) to all 3 as well, but we know how likely THAT is. ;) I suppose maybe Joe Johnston (concept, jack of all art trades) as well to ESB and ROTJ (he didn't do nearly as much on ANH), but not as much as McQuarrie.

Oh, and one person I definitely do NOT want to hear on these commentaries, Rick McCallum (Special Edition producer, '90s LFL suck-up), he really has nothing to offer these films and putting him in the commentary is a bit of an insult (I say "is" because I consider it a sure-thing that Lucas will bring McCallum into the commentaries).

plo koon 200
02-20-2004, 05:27 PM
I agree JediTricks. I'm 99% postive Rick will be on the track and what did he contribute to the originals? Zilch!

Pendo
02-20-2004, 05:47 PM
I agree JediTricks. I'm 99% postive Rick will be on the track and what did he contribute to the originals? Zilch!
I think he POSSIBLY did contribute to the movies. I can see this coming along:

Audio Commentary - A New Hope - Cantina
Rick McCallum: Now this scene was a personal contribution I made to the Star Wars movies that I am most proud of. I suggested to George that Greedo should shoot at Han first to add more excitement to the scene. Oh boy was I pleased that he said yes.

:crazed:

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I heard her say in one interview that the metal bra didn't cling to her chest well, and you could see everything if you were standing above looking down. Not those exact words, but something to that affect.

Kinda makes you want some of those multi-angle functions, doesn't it? :crazed:

I like your list PENDO!, but i'll only accept a huge group commentary if the characters speak in their voices. Like Peter Mayhew has to do his best impression of Chewie, Kenny has to do various "beeps!" and "boops!", Frank Oz has to do Yoda and Anthony Daniels has to speak like Threepio, being all technical. That's my opinion. :D

JediTricks
02-21-2004, 04:32 AM
As funny as that was Pendo, it rang too true for me, I got a pit-of-my-stomach feeling when I read it, almost as if millions of voices suddenly cried out and were suddenly silen... hmm, where have I heard that before?

Pendo
02-29-2004, 06:47 AM
Star Wars Trilogy DVD Cover Art? (http://www.kamuiweb.com/sitev3/html/modules/news/article.php?storyid=808)

Not sure if this is the real deal, but it looks kinda sweet to me :). Looks like I'll have to purchase three versions of the box set instead of just one :rolleyes:. Lucas you're sure know how to rake it in :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

bobafrett
02-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Gee, thanks George and company, go for the collectors wallets. I need to find a new less expensive hobby.

CrossWizard
02-29-2004, 10:50 AM
The last version looks the best to me with the Star Destroyer, Death Star and Carbonite Han.

plo koon 200
02-29-2004, 12:48 PM
I like the first but I am a big Vader fan.

I'm not to big with the second one, yet.

Beast
02-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Well, we don't know if were getting any of those. Maybe they'll have some sort of voting deal on StarWars.com for the artwork. Hopefully we hear something soon. If they do make all three available, I think I'd have to go with the 'Final Conflict' set. The Vader's face is iconic. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
02-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Yep, I'm leaning towards "the final conflict" one myself. Cant beat that awesome image of Vader.

I'll probably buy two and keep one sealed up as a backup copy :stupid: .

Turbowars
02-29-2004, 02:35 PM
I dig the last one, but I like them all.

Beast
02-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Here's a rough translation of the website. And some added proof that this could be actual design work for the OT DVD releases. The fact that the company that did them, suddenly pulled them down. And also did the Alien Quadrilogy Boxset design. So I'm hoping that it's just three designs, and Lucas will choose the one he likes best. Hopefully the 'Final Conflict' design. I also uploaded them, incase LFL hits the site with a removal order. :)

Original Trilogy: The visual ones of the packs DVDs of the OT?

Perhaps... Perhaps not...

Have circulated for several hours on the Web an address which
makes some dribble more one:

http://www.neuronsyndicate.com/

But what is this thus that this site? Nothing less than that a
realizer of packaging DVD. It is responsible, amongst other things,
the Alien anthology recently left. And its homepage announces well
ahead 3 packaging for the future exit of the OT in DVD!

Its three packagings have a name:

- Final The Conflict:

- Jedi vs Darkside

- Imperial The Collection

As you can notice it, one changes whole with the whole
compared to the prelogical DVD, with in particular a resumption of the
packaging of the Special Edition of 1997. However, the two others are
new, and my rather superb faith! It now will be necessary to wait
before a possible confirmation, however. Do not hesitate with you
ballader over their site in order to make you a much better idea of
its visual.

Thank you in Dalsk for the screens.

EDICT (3h15, French hour): It would seem that the site of the realizer
does not have any more the images... for a reason still unknown.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-01-2004, 12:56 AM
The Digital Bits chimed in on the covers:

First up, an L.A. company called Neuron Syndicate, which apparently is working on the packaging design for the upcoming Star Wars Trilogy DVD release, inadvertently leaked images of three different versions of the packaging on their website. The photos were only up for a very short time before they got yanked (no doubt someone at Fox and/or Lucasfilm didn't want them made public yet), but a few of our readers managed to download them, and naturally they're starting to appear on Star Wars fan websites and BBS boards all over the Net. We might post the original images at a later time, but for now you can view them at this French fansite (until they get yanked again, of course). Basically, there are three different versions - the "Final Conflict" box (featuring Darth Vader's helmet - my personal favorite), the "Imperial Collection" (featuring various images from the film including a Star Destroyer) and the "Jedi vs. Darkside" design (the most colorful but least classy of the three). We have no idea which of the three will be chosen as the final design, if any. All three look like Digipack and slipcase affairs, none of which match the previously released Episode 1 & 2 DVDs' spine format. Ah well.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-01-2004, 03:22 AM
What's going on with these different box sets ? Aren't the movie cases going to match the prequel cases ? :(

Beast
03-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Nope. Lucas has said that there is not enough extras to accomidate 2-disc sets for each movie. So they're releasing a boxed set. 1 disc for each movie, and then a 4th bonus disc of extras. The 3 different box designs are concept art right now. 3 ideas of probably many for Lucas to choose from. Frankly, I suspect we'll end up getting the Vader version. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Toad
03-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Nope. Lucas has said that there is not enough extras to accomidate 2-disc sets for each movie. So they're releasing a boxed set. 1 disc for each movie, and then a 4th bonus disc of extras. The 3 different box designs are concept art right now. 3 ideas of probably many for Lucas to choose from. Frankly, I suspect we'll end up getting the Vader version. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

What's the digipak? Is that sort of like the Back to the Future thing?
If so, while I do like it for BTTF, I would prefer to have a boxed set in the same line as Indy - I like individual cases for my movies because they LOOK BETTER and LAST LONGER.

If this rumor is true - it's just more fuel to the fire that Lucas is trying to do things to **** people off. I'm not one of them....yet.

JEDIpartner
03-01-2004, 09:55 AM
If I had to pick one... I'd go with the "Final Conflict" version. It's understated but gets the point across. Yeah... the "Jedi vs Darkside" one is cool but a bit too flash. It was (obviously) designed for the Xbox generation. The "Imperial Collection" is fine but rather one-sided.

Beast
03-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Digipack is a cardboard slipcase, with a pull-out cardboard middle. And the section that pulls out, usually unfolds to access the discs. The BTTF set still had a plastci keepcase on the inside. I really hope they actually use something like the Futurama or Family Guy design. The slimline cases for each disc. We'll have to see as we get closer to the release date. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Binks, I know there is not enough for 2 disc sets. I'm talking about the keepcase and DVD sleeve from the first 2 prequels. Why the hell did they dress them up so nicely with that number on the spine only to screw us over with non-matching OT box sets ?

Digipack sucks . . . especially when TPM and AOTC already set a standard. :mad:

Jeez, when they rereleased the OT on VHS in late 200o, they made them to match with the prequel boxes.

vadersvette
03-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Binks, I know there is not enough for 2 disc sets. I'm talking about the keepcase and DVD sleeve from the first 2 prequels. Why the hell did they dress them up so nicely with that number on the spine only to screw us over with non-matching OT box sets ?

Digipack sucks . . . especially when TPM and AOTC already set a standard. :mad:

Jeez, when they rereleased the OT on VHS in late 200o, they made them to match with the prequel boxes.
That just ****es me off. Typical Lucas. I have been wanting matching cases for many different film series, but especially Star Wars. MGM already frustrated me with the Die Another Day box, which does not match the other nineteen uniform movie boxes in the 007 collection. Now Star Wars?! Why not have the bonus disc packed into Return of the Jedi's case (using the hinge-add-on piece like the PT cases had inside)? Lucas really knows how to make his fans happy! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :frus: :frus: :frus: And I agree Digipack sucks--My Simpsons Season 2 set, sadly, all four discs are scratched beyond repair--the discs were floating around loose from no good button-press lock even before I opened it for the first time--all four crashed out onto the ground the first time I opened it! :cry: :cry:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-01-2004, 05:20 PM
These are nice-looking, but they should use something like the Vader head design for the outer cover, with each of the movies being individually packaged inside. Similar to the 1997 VHS releases. Plus an extra disc for the features, or they can be distributed throughout the movies. Some movies have one disc, but also have one or two extra featyres, so they could do it like that, though they probably won't.

Beast
03-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Some news on the covers from 'The Digital Bits'. :)

First of all, we've spoken with those in the know (you'll have to trust us on this) and have learned that the Star Wars DVD box art that's been circulating around lately is "work in progress" ONLY stuff that should NEVER have leaked on the Net. These are apparently very early concepts, and the final packaging is likely to be quite different. So while it's sort of the real deal, it's really not if you get our meaning. Take that as you will. We will, of course, post the official box art as soon as it's released by Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-02-2004, 05:38 PM
So there's still hope. Even though a new styl eof packaging shouldn't even be in the question. ;)

Beast
03-19-2004, 10:47 PM
For you Hyperspace members, the first look of the DVD art is up now. Follow the link and sign in to take a look. Looks bad arse. :)

http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/about/news/news20040319.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Here, someone on another board I'm on tossed them up. Since I'm not breaking the rules of posting the actual pictures, I don't feel as bad. :)

http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/NinjaRap/starwarswide.jpg
http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/NinjaRap/starwarsfull.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

CooLJoE
03-20-2004, 02:10 AM
Looks nice. Glad the widescreen is the silver one as the gold one looks kinda ugly (full screen bad....wide screen good :D).

I have to say though, I did like the ones that were up on the front page awhile back. Especially the one named Light Side Dark Side, showing luke with green saber on one side and darth with red saber on the other.

Kidhuman
03-20-2004, 07:37 AM
Very nice looking. Does anyone know the price points? I would like to get two sets of these and opener and a closer. I only recently opened my VHS SE copies and need to get another sealed one.

Darkness Shroud
03-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks JJB! Its like you have shown me the Holy Grail! It looks very nice! I will start to make room for both sets in my DVD cupboard. Must make sure my X-Fies sets dont fall on them.:D

plo koon 200
03-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I don't really agree with them showing these to only Hyperspace members. I'm a hyperspace member and I think everyone should be allowed to see them all at once.

The packaging is okay. Glad to see it is similiar to my old SE packaging. I'm also glad to here that each disc will come in an individual case that will fit seamlessly with the previous of the Star Wars DVD's.

scruffziller
03-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Yea I really like that silver one. Ultra cool.:cool:

For those of you fussing about the matching cases with the prequels, just make new cases for them by printing out the images of the bootleg DVDs out there off the net.

B_C
03-20-2004, 12:30 PM
That just ****es me off. Typical Lucas. I have been wanting matching cases for many different film series, but especially Star Wars. MGM already frustrated me with the Die Another Day box, which does not match the other nineteen uniform movie boxes in the 007 collection. Die Another Day has a reversable sleeve so it will fit on the end of the bond collection nicely. Took me about 3 weeks to work it out.:crazed:

Pendo
03-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I love the designs. I think they're very similar, however MUCH beter than the packaging for the first VHS release of the Special Editions :).

The DVDs inside the box set are a similar design to the Episode I and II DVDs :).

PENDO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Oh, SWEET! I like how they kind of used the same design from 1997, with silver for widescreen and gold for fullscreen. Ah, what a horrid time, when I didn't know the difference between them. ;) :p

I'm also glad to hear they look the same as TPM and AOTC. Those box design ideas didn't do anything for me.

Ric Olie
03-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Die Another Day has a reversable sleeve so it will fit on the end of the bond collection nicely. Took me about 3 weeks to work it out.:crazed:

It doesn't here in the USA. The reversable covers were only in Region 2. I checked the cover when I got Die Another Day in June and I checked the DAD cover in November from the 3rd DVD set and both didn't have reversable cover. So on my shelf DAD's the odd man out.

I'm glad to hear that the OT dvds will look like the PT ones. Although I'm just going to leave them is the silver slipcase.

Beast
03-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Yep, each movie will have a dedicated case inside the box. So they will match up with the E1 and E2 DVD's on the shelf if you decide to remove them from the box. Nice to see Lucas and Fox thinking about keeping these things matching. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

CooLJoE
03-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Are there any pics of the individual DVD cases?

vadersvette
03-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Yyyyeeeesss!!! Matching Cases!!! Are there any pictures of the individual cases yet? ( I'm not a hyperspace member)

Beast
03-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Not yet. But it's confirmed in the story with the pictures of the main case for the trilogy. Can't wait for this to come out. I wonder how many tweaks we'll get from the SE. Since TheDigitalBits is confirming there will be some changes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

vadersvette
03-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Do you think the art on the individual packages will be the same as the art on the last trilogy vhs set? What did they look like? I never bought that set. Did the sides match the sides of the PT videos? Does anyone have any pictures of the vhs boxes? :confused:

Stemp Fester
03-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Well, I'm going to have to disagree with everyone so far and say that I think the packaging is completely boring... doesn't look to sturdy either...

I doubt that these will be the only packaging styles though, too many money making opportunities lost if they are... :greedy:

AmanaMatt
03-21-2004, 11:13 AM
As packaging goes, this looks real sharp. Glad to see Widescreen is silver...the gold is an eye sore.

If this were the true classic trilogy (pre-SE), I'd be even more pumped.

QLD
03-21-2004, 02:11 PM
I like it a lot.

I am glad the Widescreen is silver, as I think that one looks better.

As far as them only showing the images to Hyperspace members first, that is a growing trend with websites who start "premium" memberships. They start cutting out on the information to regular members who can't afford to spend $$$ for the 30 different websitesd they visit regularly. Eventually, I just stop going to those sites.

JEDIpartner
03-22-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm really glad they settled on this one. While the other prototype versions were sharp, none of them said "timeless" or had much to do with any of the old artwork or campaigns. They also hadn't much to do with the packaging prepared for the new trilogy. I am glad that they tied everything together. As far as the outer shell... I think this is a better way of packaging the four discs together rather than a tacky shrink-wrap job with a cardboard or paper band cinching them together.

Well done.

jjreason
03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Very stylish. Can't wait to get them..... like someone else said, do we yet know how much the set will cost?

Beast
03-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Probably around the same price as the Indiana Jones boxset. Around $50.00 clams, but likely cheaper if you preorder it. I'm sure we'll get a price soon on the set. Just read at Digital Bits that the price will likely be released later today. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
03-23-2004, 04:32 AM
speaking as a graphic designer, these are really beautiful and classy pieces of packaging. the silver widescreen version looks particularly nice. i love the way vaders head is tilted just slightly and the way the characters on the other side echo the original artwork from the posters.

Beast
03-23-2004, 11:02 AM
They unlocked the page for the DVD's, so non-Hyperspace folks can view it now. Here's a link. And here's a very intresting Q&A. I have not been able to confirm whether or not it's real. But the guy knew almost exactly what the packaging would look like 2 weeks before they revealed it on StarWars.Com So I'd put some faith in it. It's originally from The Force.Net's boards, so still take it with a grain of salt. :)

http://starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/03/news20040322.html

Alright, some inside info I came across that, through some research, seems to be legit. One of the main reasons I see him as legit is because of this statement made 2 weeks ago about the packaging for the set, which wasn't revealed until last night:

"The DVD's themselves should be in slipcases similar to the prequel designs, with the roman numerals on the sides, but then the entire set could have a
slipcover box that says "Star Wars Trilogy." Remove the slipcover and you have a matching set of DVDs."

Those who have seen the box art know this is 100% correct.

Anyway, his quotes of interest about the further OT changes. "I" refers to the "Insider" and "Some Guy" or "SG" refers to multiple people asking questions:

Insider: "Enjoy this [release]. There's going to be some cool surprises."

Some Guy: "I don't care if Greedo shoots first. But I just wish the scene looked better. If Lucas makes the scene look better then I don't care who shoots
first."

I: "You'll get your wish."

SG: "But the thing I want to see the most, even more than fixing Greedo shooting first, is having Ian as Palpatine with new dialog in TESB."

I: "You'll also get your wish."

SG: "Those 2 changes (= fixing ANH JAbba & ESB Palpatine) would be appreciated by a large group of fans, I think."

I: "Check and check."

SG: "what about the rumors of a Senate dissolving scene and a pre-explosion Alderaan scene being added to ANH?"

I: "Not to my knowledge."

SG: "Also, at one theater, there was a voice-over of "A long time ago..." as it appeared on the screen."

I: "I think your mind may be blending memories from listening to the Star Wars story album with watching the movie (which did have a narrator speak those
lines). To my knowledge, there has never been a voiceover in the films. Maybe some dude was talking outloud to his illiterate kid in the front row!"

SG: "I'd rather they concentrate on fixing errors like lightsabers and bad FX like Jabba than messing with perfect scenes like the ESB Emperor."

I: "Lightsabers, check. Fixing Jabba, see above. Say buh-bye to monkey-woman Emperor. Ian is it. And the scene isn't perfect. It's just a scene. In this
instance, continuity is more important and I'm sure the scene will retain the same creepy tone of the original you love. If it doesn't, I'm afraid you'll
have to be content with your tapes and laserdiscs."

SG: "Any word on how much the Jabba scene is improved?"

I: "No, other than that it is being done. I assume it will be the same exact scene in terms of length and cuts but with a new Jabba."

SG: "What about the disappearing and reappearing Tarzan yell?"

I: "That's been there in ever screening I've ever seen. It will probably be in the DVD too, but I wouldn't shed a tear if it was replaced with a more appropiate
(and less groan inducing) Wookie yell."

SG: "Any info on the Rancor?"

I: "Cleaned up matte lines. Not a CG replacement. The contrast in the background plates are being adjusted and recomped in some shots to make them less
flat and rear-projection-like.

To the best of my knowledge almost all of the changes are tweaks and fixes like this rather than whole new sequences."

I: "that extensive list that has was first reported on AICN is bogus. Most of the changes are subtle tweaks and fixes rather than wholesale changes. And
my information is incomplete. I know a few things, but certainly not everything."

SG: "Do you know anything about the rumored replacement of the Yoda puppet in the new dvd's with the Digital Yoda from AOTC?"

I: "Not in the OT. At least not in the major scenes. Its always possible GL might sneak in a wide shot or a Yoda walking shot, but I haven't heard of any."

SG: "any insight to Luke's scream and the "Bring My Shuttle" line? And how about that re-used shuttle landing for ESB: SE that they stole from his arrival on the Death Star in RotJ - any chance of a new composed shot?"

I: "Sorry, I have no info about sound work or the scene in question. Personally, I have no problem with the line, but I'd like to see a redo of the shuttle arrival."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
03-23-2004, 12:20 PM
I guess Chewie wont be getting a medal if it is mostly tweaks. :( :beard:

Beast
03-23-2004, 12:34 PM
News about one of the extras on the set, is surfacing now. :)

Force is with docu producer
Sun Mar 21, 7:00 PM ET
SCOTT HETTRICK

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) --- Kevin Burns has been tapped by Lucasfilm to produce the documentary expected to be one of the centerpieces on Fox's upcoming "Star Wars Trilogy" DVD set.

Production is expected to run more than two hours; the Emmy-winning Burns was selected to bring the same kind of exhaustive detail to the project as he did with "Cleopatra: The Film That Changed Hollywood" and "Marilyn Monroe (news): The Final Days," among others. "Cleopatra" won a 2001 DVD Exclusive Award.

Burns' 5-year-old Prometheus Entertainment production company has had a longstanding deal with Fox Television Studios, where he was one of the founders of Foxstar Prods. Prometheus has produced hundreds of hours of programming for A&E's "Biography" and other cable programs and networks.

Jon Shenk ("Lost Boys of Sudan") produced the acclaimed fly-on-the-wall documentary for "The Phantom Menace" DVD. Laurent Bouzereau produced the featurettes for last year's release of Lucasfilm's "Indiana Jones Trilogy" on DVD.

The "Star Wars Trilogy" will be released this fall on DVD by Fox.

Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. Variety is a registered trademark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc. and used under license. All Rights Reserved.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-23-2004, 03:03 PM
So, are all those tweaks/changes confirmed? That would be so cool. I wouldn't mind a straight re-issue of the SE versions, but better effects and Ian in ESB would rock. Then we wouldn't have to pay for more DVDs in 2006 or something. :)

Beast
03-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Not confirmed, but highly likely going by the various rumors. And the guy did know the basic design of the DVD case, before it was revealed. So he's likely a good source. Hopefully the official site will have more news about the releases soon. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
03-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Okay, I must admit that if those are the tweaks, I can live with them. Though what "some guy" says about the OLME-Emperor doesn't quite sound like the same person responding. Maybe that one's wishful thinking?

Beast
03-23-2004, 03:33 PM
It's not the same guy. It was various folks asking the 'Source' what he knew. I disagree majorly with the one guy that says the OLME scene is perfect. It's heavily flawed. Especially in regards to not only the ROTJ Emperor, but the prequel Palpatine also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
03-23-2004, 04:47 PM
It's not the same guy. It was various folks asking the 'Source' what he knew. I disagree majorly with the one guy that says the OLME scene is perfect. It's heavily flawed. Especially in regards to not only the ROTJ Emperor, but the prequel Palpatine also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

What does OLME stand for? :confused:

I quite like the scene in question. I would much prefer it if it is Ian McDiarmid but only if it looks seamless. I don't think Clive Revill is a bad Emperor, when he says "Yes.. yes..", he actually looks a bit like Ian McDiarmid.

I have a few other questions. Regarding the matte lines in the scene with the Rancor in "Jedi", why weren't they cleaned up? After all, in the documentary before Empire on the SE, they talk about how they cleaned up the matte lines on the snowspeeder scene.

About the lightsabers in ANH, how can they possibly fix those? I mean, when Luke ignites it, the scene pauses and when the lightsaber is ignited, Luke has changed his position slightly. It'd probably take a lot of CG to fix that.

All in all, I'm hyped about this set. :)

Beast
03-23-2004, 04:53 PM
OLME = Old Lady Monkey Eyes. The Emperor earned this term a long time ago. When people found out that the holographic Emperor in ESB was just that. An old lady in a lot of makeup, with chimpanzee eyes superimposed over hers. And now you know the rest of the story. :D

As for the Rancor matte lines. They did fix them some for the SE. Hopefully with a few more years under their belts, they can make them even less noticable. With the lightsabers, I think they just mean re-animating them all (at least in ANH) so that they match the quality of the Sabers in the other films. Especially Obi's fizzle stick. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
03-23-2004, 05:01 PM
OLME = Old Lady Monkey Eyes. The Emperor earned this term a long time ago. When people found out that the holographic Emperor in ESB was just that. An old lady in a lot of makeup, with chimpanzee eyes superimposed over hers. And now you know the rest of the story. :D

Woah, that IS a shocker. I always thought that Emperor was a man because it was played by Clive Revill. I just checked IMDB and it says that he played the voice. Arghhh, we can't have a bi-gender Emperor... I hope it's Ian McDiarmid on the DVD's! :)

Thanks for clarifying Jar Jar... I did try to figure it out on my own... but now looking at what it really means, I realise I didn't have a chance! lol

I wonder what the menu screens will look like. After all, the Phantom Menace pushed the boundary with those. :)

arctangent
03-25-2004, 09:16 AM
As for the Rancor matte lines. They did fix them some for the SE. Hopefully with a few more years under their belts, they can make them even less noticable.

if they did fix them, they didn't do it very well. that's one of the things that always bugged me about the special edition rotj - they made a really good job of fixing matte lines in the others but the rancor still looks crap. mostly i hope they leave the films alone but the rancor is one fix that must be done.

JEDIpartner
03-25-2004, 11:48 AM
I guess we'll just have to wait for an upcoming issue of "INSIDER" or official word from LFL regarding these changes/fixes to the trilogy. If that IS the case, then I would have to say this is the final version of the trilogy. I can't imagine them doing yet one more version of it in 3 years or so. That would just be dire.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
I guess we'll just have to wait for an upcoming issue of "INSIDER" or official word from LFL regarding these changes/fixes to the trilogy. If that IS the case, then I would have to say this is the final version of the trilogy. I can't imagine them doing yet one more version of it in 3 years or so. That would just be dire.

I don't think that LucasFilm will necessarily alter the movies another time outside of esoteric changes like possibly some f/x imperfections. However I'm not counting them out to issue another box set in the future once EP3 is released. You know that the vaults of deleted scenes and making of docs will get opened up once the $$ dries up from the theatrical releases.

JEDIpartner
03-29-2004, 09:34 AM
True... but it has been stated by LFL that they really scraped the bottom of the barrel to come up with new "behind the scenes" stuff for the CT. They said that, since there was no real need for hours and hours of extensive behind the scenes footage or interviews at the time, none was created. Therefore what has already been tacked onto videotape and rehashed/re-edited for the DVD alongside the "newly uncovered, never-before-seen" stuff is supposed to be pretty much it.

Kidhuman
03-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Idont care as long as we get the original theatrical versions somewhere down the line. And give Chewie a medal already. You can stick Jabba in there but you cant get a wookie a medal?

Pendo
03-29-2004, 03:02 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Us Brits get the DVD set a day early as our main DVD release day is a Monday :D.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=3658&n=1&burl=

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
03-29-2004, 03:07 PM
You'll have to let us know how that fourth disc is! :D

rbaumhauer
03-29-2004, 03:11 PM
True... but it has been stated by LFL that they really scraped the bottom of the barrel to come up with new "behind the scenes" stuff for the CT. They said that, since there was no real need for hours and hours of extensive behind the scenes footage or interviews at the time, none was created. Therefore what has already been tacked onto videotape and rehashed/re-edited for the DVD alongside the "newly uncovered, never-before-seen" stuff is supposed to be pretty much it.

Word is going around that LFL has hired Kevin Burns (*not* Ken Burns) to do an ~2hr documentary on the making of the OT for the box set, but it is true that there is a lack of interviews and such from back then that haven't already been seen.

I would have loved it if they would have put the TV specials done for each film on a DVD, since I only have "The Making of Star Wars" and "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga" on VHS. I know they'd never do it for *exactly* the reason that I love them so much - each show firmly roots the respective movie in its time, and that just won't do for movies that George just can't leave alone.

vadersvette
03-29-2004, 07:25 PM
I remember back when the SEs were released in theaters, there were several TV specials on about the making of the SE (one showed the ANH Jabba scene as it was when it was filmed in the 70s-before the CGI Jabba was added in overtop the original actor) I wonder if something like that will be on disc 4.

JEDIpartner
03-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Some of that was part of the 1997 VHS/Laserdisc set. They discussed the new CGI elements and the clean-up of the original prints and some other topics. There were interviews filmed for that so I would imagine that these will end up, in some fashion, on the DVD releases.

Darth Trymybestus
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Some of that was part of the 1997 VHS/Laserdisc set. They discussed the new CGI elements and the clean-up of the original prints and some other topics. There were interviews filmed for that so I would imagine that these will end up, in some fashion, on the DVD releases.

Yeah, those are pretty cool. Hopefully they are on DVD's. I wonder if they would be longer and more in depth on the DVD because there's only so much room on a videotape.

Beast
03-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Ok, we have a SRP for the DVD set now. According to Amazon.Com, the SRP is $69.98 for the 4 disc set. And if you pre-order it now, you can get it for $41.99. Expect similar prices on the first week of release at retail. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Of course Suncoast.com is still listing theirs for the SRP. :rolleyes:

Darth Trymybestus... They probably could go into a little more detail and expand on what was issued on the '97 set. They probably had a lot more footage from the interviews and a bit more on the "hows" of the effects and whatnot but I suspect they edited it down for time and relevancy of content. They will probably be able to get a little more of the "how" and some more of the "why" into the DVD "making of..." segment. Still... I think the 3 shorts had a running time of 30 minutes. I think that's what it reads on my bootleg DVD.

Beast
04-01-2004, 11:31 AM
We have some early specs from DVD File. Sounds good, other then the lack of Ford or Hammil on the Audio Commentary track. I wonder if they even asked Mark, since you would think he would jump at the chance. Since he's always been a major fan of the series. Odd that they get Carrie Fisher. Since she's always seemed to not like talking about the movies. :)

Alright, alright, no more April Fool's jokes. (Really, this is serious.) Just announced from Fox Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm are the complete specs for the upcoming Star Wars Trilogy box sets, hitting a galaxy near you on September 21st. (Perhaps you have heard of them?)

Available in separate anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each includes Dolby Digital Surround EX tracks, plus additional English, French and Spanish Dolby 2.0 surround options and English, French and Spanish subtitles.

The set will also contain audio commentaries for each film: George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher (A New Hope); Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Burtt, Muren, and Fisher (The Empire Strikes Back); and Lucas, Kasdan, Burtt, Muren, and Fisher again (on Return of the Jedi). Other extras include the bonus fourth disc with "The Most Comprehensive Feature-Length Documentary Ever Produced On the Star Wars Saga" plus "Never Before Seen Footage From the Making Of All Three Films." Expect more possible extras to be announced soon, and retail for either box will list for $69.95.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
04-02-2004, 08:54 AM
More details on the 4th disc of the set, from Best Buy. As being reported by The Digital Bits. Sounds good. Hopefully we'll get more info on the extras soon. :)

First things first today - we've got more Star Wars DVD news for you. Specifically, we've got a list of what may be actual supplements on the set's 4th disc, which will contain all of the bonus material. According to the listing for the title on the Best Buy.com website, Disc Four will contain the feature-length Star Wars: The Independent Films documentary, 3 production featurettes (including The Evolution of Characters, The Influence of Star Wars and Lightsabers/Fights), a vintage 1977 "making of" featurette, a comprehensive gallery of posters and production artwork and the Star Wars: Battlefront Xbox videogame demo. Hhmmmm... not sure what to think. We'll have to see if and when Lucasfilm and Fox confirm this. Anyway, thanks to an anonymous Bits reader for the heads-up.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
04-02-2004, 10:06 AM
"We need Information!"

Pendo
04-06-2004, 04:46 AM
Here's some mouth watering information on Disc 4 from TheForce.net. 20th September can't come soon enough!!!!

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23617
http://www.theforce.net/episode3/index.shtml#23616

PENDO!

vadersvette
04-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Awesome!!! I can't wait to see the Episod III stuff! :sur:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-06-2004, 05:41 PM
This sounds great, but . . . I was really looking forward to some deleted scenes! Where are they? Oh well. All the stuff from 1977 like ads sounds really cool. I'm glad they put in all the trailers, I read there was some deleted stuff in the ESB trailer, which should be interesting to see. :)

Kidhuman
04-06-2004, 06:15 PM
That sounds pretty sweet. Cant wait for this set.

JON9000
04-07-2004, 10:49 AM
These DVDs suck.

Where is anchorhead? What about the sandstorm? Deleted scenes people, that's what I want. GL can keep his eight commentary tracks.

I assume each disc will have original, re-release, and S.E. trailers at least.

I am really bummed there will be no deleted scenes. Bad enough I have to deal with Greedo shooting first for the rest of my days.

:mad: :frus:

Pendo
04-07-2004, 11:13 AM
It would be nice ave a whole section of deleted scenes on the DVD, but that does not mean we won't get the odd few scene in one of the documentaries :).

You never know, rumours are suggesting that changes are being made to the movies, maybe a few will be put back in...:)

PENDO!

vadersvette
04-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Bad enough I have to deal with Greedo shooting first for the rest of my days.
:mad: :frus:
Just watch the '95 VHS--or burn them onto dvds, thats what I'm doing--save yourself $50.00 (I'm still going to buy the set anyway :D )

arctangent
04-08-2004, 05:07 AM
I am really bummed there will be no deleted scenes. Bad enough I have to deal with Greedo shooting first for the rest of my days.

my god, how will you be able to get out of bed in the mornings and face the world knowing there is such tragedy.

i feel sorry for you that you will live your entire joyless life feeling such eternal disappointment :cry: .

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2004, 09:04 PM
This is from the digital bits:

Okay kids... so you want proof that further changes are being made to the Star Wars films for the forthcoming DVD release? How's this...

That top image is, of course, actor Ian McDiarmid as Emperor Palpatine, newly inserted into The Empire Strikes Back in place of the original actor (bottom image). This image has been circulating around the Net for the last couple of days, and we believe it's the real deal (can't say why or how we know, but there you go). One other scene we've heard is being revamped is the CGI Jabba scene from A New Hope. Look for the digital Jabba to be replaced by a much better looking CG version (likely based on the Episode I digital model of the character).

Tell you what... I don't mind either of these changes. Better still, I'd eat a whole freakin' herd of Bantha if Lucas would just restore the Han/Greedo scene in A New Hope so that Han shoots first again. Anyone care to join me? Cross your fingers, folks... and fire up the barbecue pit.

By the way, we've also been told by sources that the list of Trilogy 4th disc DVD extras circulated by FYE, Best Buy and other online retailers recently (and reported here by The Bits) is "not entirely correct". Looks like this was an early spec list, but certainly not the final one. Hopefully, we'll get official details in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned...

Hope this is true.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

El Chuxter
04-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I don't know. Ian looks too. . . regal.

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Yeah, it does have an odd look. I have hope, though. These kind of changes I like.

vadersvette
04-08-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't know... :ermm: Images like that can easily be created in programs like Photoshop...Doesn't look a whole lot like Ian...(If it is him, It looks like it was an image taken from one of the prequels) :ermm: :ermm: Then again, it could be genuine.(the chances are 50-50 IMO) I have my fingers crossed! :D

Pendo
04-09-2004, 07:04 AM
The makeup is awful! It looks like Freddy Kruger!

I agree that it could easily have been created.

I don't think it's from ESB, I think it's a sequel to Freddy Vs Jason - Freddy Vs. Chimp Lady :crazed:!

PENDO!

evenflow
04-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I dont think it looks right, it really doesn't look like him. I dont think a couple of changes would be a big deal though. If that scene was redone it would be alright, as well as redoing Jabba in a New Hope, and I think we all want Han to shoot first again.

As for the extra disc, I really hope they include the deleted scenes.

Turambar
04-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Does anyone not want Han to shoot first again? I'd like to see a poll just to see if anyone other than Georgie votes to keep the awful change permanent.

Kidhuman
04-10-2004, 07:52 AM
I don't know... :ermm: Images like that can easily be created in programs like Photoshop...Doesn't look a whole lot like Ian...(If it is him, It looks like it was an image taken from one of the prequels) :ermm: :ermm: Then again, it could be genuine.(the chances are 50-50 IMO) I have my fingers crossed! :D

50-50? Either it is or it isnt, good odds. :beard: :crazed:

JON9000
04-12-2004, 11:11 AM
my god, how will you be able to get out of bed in the mornings and face the world knowing there is such tragedy.

i feel sorry for you that you will live your entire joyless life feeling such eternal disappointment :cry: .

Sarcasm aside, that material is out there, and I would be much happier with the set if it were included, Arctangent. However, if you are perfectly cheery over a DVD set that doesn't offer such goodies, more power to you and keep on trucking. :rolleyes:

I think these scenes will show up on some edition sometime in the future, it will just be used as a marketing ploy to make us buy yet another edition. :greedy:

Pendo
04-20-2004, 04:24 AM
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/04/news20040420.html

I just wet myself!

I don't think the game demos/previews are needed, they're weasting space for what could be more features. Especially the Episode III game one which could appear on the Episode III DVD. It would be nice to see a prieview of them though, but I'd rather have more on the movies :).

PENDO!

arctangent
04-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Sarcasm aside, that material is out there, and I would be much happier with the set if it were included, Arctangent. However, if you are perfectly cheery over a DVD set that doesn't offer such goodies, more power to you and keep on trucking. :rolleyes:

I think these scenes will show up on some edition sometime in the future, it will just be used as a marketing ploy to make us buy yet another edition. :greedy:

sorry jon9000, didn't mean to be so sarcastic. hope you will forgive me, i only meant it as a joke ;) .

i was only bought a dvd player last christmas so i am lagging a bit behind many and i am just glad they are releasing the ot on dvd in nice shiny packaging. i actually don't believe i have seen any documentaries about the ot except one that was shown on the bbc when the special editions came out and it does sound like some of documentary stuff on the fourth disk is all new. having said that, the extra's don't bother me too much and if they re-release them in the future with those scenes added, i will probably pass.

i remember seeing the anchorhead scene on computer when the big star wars exhibition was on at the barbican in london and i seem to recall it looked pretty rough and would probably need a lot of work. perhaps george lucas just doesn't feel this bit needs to be added in.

vadersvette
04-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Man, I can't wait to see the "Return of Darth Vader" featurette and the new DV costume!!!!! :D :D :D

scruffziller
05-04-2004, 04:11 PM
One of the things that I have been led to believe is that the reason GL will not release the Original Release of OT(even though it does exist out there somewhere) is that he doesn't even see those versions anymore. And that is what he means by them not existing. Because the SE is his "ultimate vision", they might as well have never been released in 70s and 80s. Also as well, if it was about the money, we would be on SW episode 20 by now. So you can guarantee that GL is going to be so dang retentive it is not even funny. And from what you guys are saying about no deleted scenes!!!:eek: That fits into the equasion.

James Boba Fettfield
05-19-2004, 10:52 AM
What's everyone think of the lastest rumor change to the ROTJ end scene where Shaw as an old Anakin has been replaced with Hayden as a young Anakin.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17592

The guys at the digital bits say it's true:

Also this morning, I imagine by now many of you have seen the altered Return of the Jedi DVD screen shot posted yesterday over on Ain't it Cool News. While some sources are still hedging their bets... yes, we can confirm that this is authentic. It IS one of many changes that are being made to the original Star Wars films for the September 21st DVD release.

We've been saying for months now that there were going to be changes made to these films for DVD, and while many believed us, a number of Star Wars fans have e-mailed to say we must be on crack. Nevertheless, believe it or not, we know for a FACT that several more changes are being made to these films. Trust us on this - our contacts are in positions to know. Like it or not, the films we will get on DVD on 9/21 are NOT going to be the original theatrical versions and they're not going to be the 1997 special editions either. Even Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet has confirmed this, saying at the recent WonderCon convention that the films contained on the discs would be the incarnations of the films "as George Lucas sees them today."

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-19-2004, 11:15 AM
I am damn near speechless about this. I can understand a few changes and whatnot, but this is just off the wall. Why would the ghost of Anakin be young while Yoda and Obi-Wan look to be older and...good lord, i just cannot believe this.

These are the reasons i thank God each day for my copies of the OT i got from laserdisc transfers. Dammit all. :frus: :frus: :frus:

James Boba Fettfield
05-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Well, theforce.net provides the explanation as to this change:

Our sources tell us that there have been lots of changes to A New Hope, including some tinkering with the Han/Greedo scene. This is also the film with the most significant changes. The Emperor has been replaced with prequel actor Ian McDiarmid in ESB and Hayden Christensen does indeed appear in the final cut of Return of the Jedi. The explanation of his young appearance as a spirit is revealed in Episode III, as spoiler

the years in the Dark Side don't age the Jedi's spirit form.

Beast
05-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Actually, it makes sense if you think about it. Just remember what Obi-Wan says about Anakin in ROTJ. That when Anakin became Darth Vader, he really did cease to be Anakin Skywalker. And the good man who was Anakin was destroyed.

Not to mention the blue-glowie is a Jedi ability to manifest a physical presence in the force after death. The last time Anakin was really a Jedi, was when he was in his prime. Where as Yoda and Obi-Wan both died as full Jedi's.

After all, the elderly Anakin was pretty much a dead body kept alive by the Dark Side, his hate, and a life support system. Think of it as like someone basically in a coma for 20 years. When he passed on, his spirit form was from before his original death. Before he became more machine then man, twisted and evil.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
05-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Actually,JJB Anakin Skywalker at the stage in the picture is NOT a Jedi.Some very good reasons for this,that obvisously you missed

1)Anakin as broken the code by a)Marrying b)Killing in Hate
2)The spirits all leave when they died,and come back as that form.Since Darth Vader died as the older Anakin Skywalker,it is only fitting to see an older Anakin since he did not die when he is roughly in his mid-20s.

If this is true,I refuse to buy the DVDs.I'll simply get the true bootleg verisons of the movie.Come out the shadow of GLs behind JJB and see the light.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Here is the pic of blasphemous proportions in case some folks can't get the AICN page to load.

Look at it and weep. :cry:

Beast
05-19-2004, 12:35 PM
If you read the reasons why, it makes total sense. There are things I don't like about the Star Wars movies. And I'm vocal in what I don't like. But there are some things that I do like about this change. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
05-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Here is the pic of blasphemous proportions in case some folks can't get the AICN page to load.

Look at it and weep. :cry:

I am weeping. I really wish I was that good with Photoshop. :D

scruffziller
05-19-2004, 02:51 PM
It doesn't matter to me anyway since I have the OR-OT on DVD!!!!:crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
05-19-2004, 02:52 PM
My friend just sent this to me via email

From aintitcool.com:

"Also this morning, I imagine by now many of you have seen the altered Return of the Jedi DVD screen shot posted yesterday over on Ain't it Cool News. While some sources are still hedging their bets... yes, we can confirm that this is authentic. It IS one of many changes that are being made to the original Star Wars films for the September 21st DVD release.

We've been saying for months now that there were going to be changes made to these films for DVD, and while many believed us, a number of Star Wars fans have e-mailed to say we must be on crack. Nevertheless, believe it or not, we know for a FACT that several more changes are being made to these films. Trust us on this - our contacts are in positions to know. Like it or not, the films we will get on DVD on 9/21 are NOT going to be the original theatrical versions and they're not going to be the 1997 special editions either. Even Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet has confirmed this, saying at the recent WonderCon convention that the films contained on the discs would be the incarnations of the films "as George Lucas sees them today."

It's gonna get mighty interesting in the months ahead, folks.

Stay tuned..."

I'm seriously rethinking buying these ugly monstrosities if this kind of crapola is going to be littered throughout!! :mad:

JediTricks
05-19-2004, 03:22 PM
This is cringe-inducingly bad! I can only HOPE that this is some sort of delayed April Fools joke, that this is a hoax of extraordinary magnitude because if not, then to paraphrase, "Star Wars is truly dead."

PS - the CT mod may very well merge this thread with the other one or retitle it, so be prepared.

PPS - well, looks like we got merged, so there ya go Deoxy. ;)

JediTricks
05-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Actually, it makes sense if you think about it. Just remember what Obi-Wan says about Anakin in ROTJ. That when Anakin became Darth Vader, he really did cease to be Anakin Skywalker. And the good man who was Anakin was destroyed. Sorry, no, that doesn't track. If that were true, Vader would have let the Emperor destroy Luke, but the WHOLE point of that encounter was that Luke could feel something within Vader that nobody else could - his humanity, something everybody else, Yoda, Obi-Wan, the Emperor, had given up on and believed to be destroyed - and at the crucial moment, Vader reclaimed that humanity and saved the day. This is the very essence of Vader taking his mask off at the end of the film, so it's key that the character under the mask be transformed into a whole self again once he becomes a Jedi spirit.

Lucas didn't write ROTJ, he didn't direct ROTJ, and he didn't produce ROTJ, so this is just another prime example of his altering another artist's vision to fit his current twisted ideals of what this "should" be. It's as if Lucas is making excuses for his prequels with this tampering. If he didn't like the way this part of the film was presented, as executive producer he should have worked with the film's actual filmmakers to have it changed in '83, but he didn't then and now his manipulation rings so false with this move that it's likely going to seriously jeopardize the series' role in the cinematic pantheon.

Beast
05-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Enjoy your VHS and Laserdisc copies then. Cause I'm all for every change he decides to make in these films. Especially if he tweaks the OLME Emperor that should have been fixed last time thru. As I've stated before, as the creator of Star Wars, I'm not going to moan and cry about my childhood being raped or about any of the other stuff you usually see being thrown around about changes like this.

If you're going to argue that Anakin's Spirit should be the same as the deceased Anakin's body, you should have started shoutin' 20 years ago that he's not bald, doesn't have scars, or missing body parts. Seriously, it's supposed to be a ghost of the good man who used to be Anakin. I can totally understand the reason why he did it, and the idea that the Jedi Force Spirit doesn't age in the Dark Side. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
05-19-2004, 03:55 PM
PPS - well, looks like we got merged, so there ya go Deoxy. ;)

Looks like I was four hours late on this news anyhoo, lol so merging is good for me ;)

thanks JT

Beast
05-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Sorry, no, that doesn't track. If that were true, Vader would have let the Emperor destroy Luke, but the WHOLE point of that encounter was that Luke could feel something within Vader that nobody else could - his humanity, something everybody else, Yoda, Obi-Wan, the Emperor, had given up on and believed to be destroyed - and at the crucial moment, Vader reclaimed that humanity and saved the day. This is the very essence of Vader taking his mask off at the end of the film, so it's key that the character under the mask be transformed into a whole self again once he becomes a Jedi spirit.

Lucas didn't write ROTJ, he didn't direct ROTJ, and he didn't produce ROTJ, so this is just another prime example of his altering another artist's vision to fit his current twisted ideals of what this "should" be. It's as if Lucas is making excuses for his prequels with this tampering. If he didn't like the way this part of the film was presented, as executive producer he should have worked with the film's actual filmmakers to have it changed in '83, but he didn't then and now his manipulation rings so false with this move that it's likely going to seriously jeopardize the series' role in the cinematic pantheon.
Yes, but that spark of 'goodness' is the Anakin that literally died 20 years ago. Not to mention he should have died 20 years ago, if not for the actions of the Emperor. Anakin's human side has been in a literally coma for 20 years, his body basically a dead shell kept alive by the Dark Side, hate, and a life support system. So I can definatly see where Lucas' idea of the Force Spirit manifesting as the 'Good Man' who Anakin once was.

It's no different then other ghost type movies, where the spirit returns in a form that is more 'familar' or 'real' to the nature of who they were. As for the whole Lucas didn't write or produce Jedi, the movie was still done from his script outline. He had a lot of final say on what occured in the movie. It's his universe and his baby, so he has every right to make it more fitting his image of what that movie should be. So I applaud his choice to please the artist and not the whiny, obsessive, beligerant, ungrateful fans. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-19-2004, 04:42 PM
So I applaud his choice to please the artist and not the whiny, obsessive, beligerant, ungrateful fans. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Binks, these changes are beyond horrible and inexcusable. When Anakin is changed into Vader, obviously it's not a full fledged change as Anakin's good spirit emerges and is able to dispose of the Emperor. It would only make sense that the older version of Anakin, which is the one who saved Luke and then perished. If you want to do the whole "jedi spirit" thing, which is a lame excuse, then why doesn't Obi-Wan become a young spirit as it is when he is young that he becomes a Jedi? Lucas is doing this out of the fact that he's finally flipped his wig. I have talked to dozens of fans today on the net and in town and we all agree that we are going to pass on these DVD's and pretty much rely on bootlegs to get the OT that we have grown to love.

As for the "please the artist" crap, that's complete BS. Films are a work of art and once they're released to the public, they become part of the public's life as well and therefore shouldn't be modified just to please some wacky idea Lucas had on the crapper that morning. If it wasn't for we "whiny, obsessive, beligerant, ungrateful fans", the trilogy would've flopped and Lucas wouldn't have a pot to pee in. If he wants to release 252502725 different versions of the films, so be it, but for the love of God, release the ORIGINAL TRILOGY AS THEY WERE PRESENTED IN THEIR ORIGINAL RELEASE. JBFF and i discussed how George Romero is releasing a few versions of his film, "Dawn of the Dead" purely because they differ and it gives the fan a chance to decide which ones he/she wants. I have supported Lucas since i became a SW Fan and the fact that he can't keep his grubby hands off the original prints of the films insults myself as well as legions of fans. Screw this DVD set and screw lucas.

Pendo
05-19-2004, 05:08 PM
I believe the story to be true, and think that they WILL (unfortunatly) be replacing Sebastian Shaw with hayden for the spirit scene. However, I think that image is a fake. There's just something about Anakin's face/head/hair that doesn't look right, and looks like it was done in photoshop.

PENDO!

Deoxyribonucleic
05-19-2004, 05:09 PM
So I applaud his choice to please the artist and not the whiny, obsessive, beligerant, ungrateful fans. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I think it's great that you are excited for the changes, :) but that last line of yours is somewhat "not so nice". You have your opinion and you like the changes and should be able to have that opinion without being called names...however, those of us who don't like the changes also have that right and should not be chastised for our opinions IE: being labeled "whiny, obsessive, beligerant, ungrateful."

I am none of those words that you describe and I do not like the changes George Lucas has made and it is my right to feel this way. It is also my right to pass on buying the new dvd's if I so choose and to talk about them here at SSG. I do not mean you ANY disrespect JJB as I really dig you and think you are a great forumite, if not the god of all forumites, ;) but I just don't appreciate that last comment because it in no way reflects who I am or how I feel about Star Wars.

Now that I've said my peace, can we get back to this discussion and all be nice to one another :) If anything, it's interesting to see the changes before hand so that I can make decisions to see if I really want to spend 40 bucks on the dvd, which I probably will to get the extras because those seem pretty cool! And then when I'm seeing these changes, it won't be for the first time and I won't lose my lunch over them :crazed:

El Chuxter
05-19-2004, 05:35 PM
I've heard a rumor, which I believe to be true, that the upcoming DVDs will not be rated PG, as all earlier versions of all the SW films have been, but will need a new rating! This is because Lucas has reportedly filmed footage of himself defecating on the only surviving negatives of the original films, and has also been in discussions with Lindy England to have her appear with Rick McCallum, pointing and laughing at a large number of SW fans who have been stripped naked, tied up, and forced to wear women's unmentionables on their heads.

You heard it here first! :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Er, I'm not sure about this change. Sometimes I like it, and sometimes I don't. I mean, it's odd enough now that Anakin gets a full head of hair, no scars, and is completely intact. And Obi-Wan and Yoda still have to look like they did at their death. It's not that much of a stretch for Anakin to look young again, though, if all that other stuff already took place. I mean we're actually seeing Anakin again, not some random old guy.

I guess I don't really hate this change, but it's not really necessary. Why don't they focus on fixing the godawful 1997 CG effects instead?

However, if they do decide to change Vader's death scene and insert Hayden, I'll be ****ed.

Beast
05-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Sorry Deoxy, I guess I went over the top there. It does annoy me that any other movie getting changed gets a 'ehh'. But Lucas does it and it's a 'He's raping my childhood' and all that other stuff. I was mainly directing that not at folks here who discuss things somewhat sanely, but like on AICN talk about death threats and burning down Skywalker Ranch. So again, sorry to everyone for going over the top.

Oh, and El Chuxter. I heard that they actually have a fireside chat with the fans. And toss the original negaives on the fire at various points during the discussion. Ok, I'm kidding. Yes, it would be nice if he wanted to release the original versions for the purists. I'd buy both myself. Hell, I'd by all three if he released the original SE's also. But I'm not going to complain that he feels that his new cuts are all he wants on the market. It's his choice as the creator and artist behind the series. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
05-19-2004, 06:54 PM
I dunno. This seems a bit insulting to the memory of Sebastian Shaw. Why not use CG to replace Dumbledore in the first two HP films with the new guy? Or digitally replace Jodie Foster with Julianne Moore in Silence of the Lambs, just to give it a bit more of a connection?

It's also insulting to everyone else who worked behind the scenes of that scene: costume designers, directors, screenwriters, caterers. . . .

Lucas can make changes to his creation, but he's not the only artist who put his soul into these movies. I'd be happy with any changes to the trilogy he chooses to make, but only if he offers the original and 1997 versions as well. (I can live without the original cut of AOTC, but it'd be nice to get the big screen and VHS versions of TPM, if only to cut out that silly spinning podrace bit.)

Beast
05-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Yeah, but those people were hired to act or work on the movies. Sure, their work is lost with the changes. But it doesn't change the fact that they were paid and honored for that work. Sure, it's basically removing Shaw's part in the Trilogy at least in ghost form. But he still earned a paycheck, and has gotten 3 action figures out of the deal. More then can be said for most bit actors in the Star Wars Trilogy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
05-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Deoxy, don't thank me, I didn't merge your thread. :D

Yes, but that spark of 'goodness' is the Anakin that literally died 20 years ago. Not to mention he should have died 20 years ago, if not for the actions of the Emperor. Anakin's human side has been in a literally coma for 20 years, his body basically a dead shell kept alive by the Dark Side, hate, and a life support system.No way I'm buying that just because Lucas is desparately trying to shoehorn his prequels into the original saga, it doesn't even fit with what we see in ESB and ROTJ where Vader shows his son mercy. How can a spark of goodness "literally" die? And if it's "literally" dead, how does Luke find it, and how does Vader tap into it at the end?

To me, this is the worst kind of revisioning, it smacks of Lucas making excuses and apologies for Vader's actions throughout the OT while trying to force his revisionist statement that the whole saga is about Anakin -- it is almost suggesting "it's not Vader's fault he's such a bad guy, he was possessed, had a brain tumor, and multiple personality disorder so he gets into Jedi heaven through a karmic loophole". People are who they are, complex beings with both good and bad elements, yet as we've seen before from modern revisionist Lucas with Han & Greedo, he'd rather change a characters actions & motivations than let the audience accept that these characters can do bad things yet still end up on the side of good - it reminds me of when Lucas turned the stormtrooper-type characters into battle droids and later into clones, anything to suggest that there is no possible moral dillema in our heroes killing the enemy forces.

So I can definatly see where Lucas' idea of the Force Spirit manifesting as the 'Good Man' who Anakin once was.Except that Anakin was heading down the dark path since TPM, and delved deeply into hatred and fear and anger in AOTC, but this looks like his Ep 3 self. Perhaps there's spoilers for that film involved, but even if Lucas literally stops the film halfway through, gets on camera and explains the incredibly specific rules of Jedi spirit-making, it's going to be far too contrived to pull it off.

As for the whole Lucas didn't write or produce Jedi, the movie was still done from his script outline. He had a lot of final say on what occured in the movie. It's his universe and his baby, so he has every right to make it more fitting his image of what that movie should be. So I applaud his choice to please the artist and not the whiny, obsessive, beligerant, ungrateful fans. Funny, he wasn't "the artist" when making ANH, he worked with a partner to produce that film; and he wasn't "the artist" when handing the reins of ESB over to other people who made it the most popular sequel in the series. He had a specific job in ROTJ but was not the artist, he was executive producer and at ANY time during the making of that film it was his responsibility to have discussed changes that he wanted with the film's director & producers. So because he came up with a general outline for the trilogy and co-wrote & directed the first film, that makes him the only artist on everything that came afterwards even if he didn't direct or produce them? I don't see that. That's not him exercising his "choice to please the artist", it sounds like Lucas exercising his copyright privileges in a thoroughly self-indulgent manner. I notice not too many people are pleased when studios do this same thing to films like Blade Runner, but because it's Pope George Lucas II it somehow makes it totally acceptable, and I don't see why.

It does annoy me that any other movie getting changed gets a 'ehh'. But Lucas does it and it's a 'He's raping my childhood' and all that other stuff.Right, nobody complained about ET being altered, and Spielberg didn't understand that and thus only released the updated version on DVD... oh wait, that's not how it was at all. Maybe people are just making more of a fuss because these movies mean more to them, although I suspect it's because some of Lucas's changes are SO drastic, jarring and poorly-thought-out that they stand out like a sore thumb and damage the cinematic experience for the audience.

However, I think that image is a fake. There's just something about Anakin's face/head/hair that doesn't look right, and looks like it was done in photoshop.Keep in mind, that's what ILM will be doing anyway (possibly not with Photoshop specifically, but some sort of software like that), so it likely will always look somewhat like he's pasted in because that's exactly what it is.

Chux, on your post there above this, ROCK ON!!!

evenflow
05-19-2004, 08:31 PM
This is sickening to be honest. If that is real it is disgraceful to remove Shaw's work. It is ridiculous to make more changes to these movies, he is ruining these movies that we love. We will not be buying the Original trilogy in September. George Lucas no longer has my respect if this all comes to be. I really don't even think this is all about money anymore. I wish it were because if it was, he would have released 3 versions of the DVDs.

1. Original Theatrical releases w/ Bonus Disc of deleted scenes we all want
2. Special Editions
3. Whatever is being planned on for this release

At least this we we would have gotten what we wanted, and honestly they would have made more money because many people would have bought all three sets or two. I would have bought all three to be honest. At this point I am really aggravated and annoyed. I hope that all these rumors do not come to be. The only changes to these movies I will accept is restoring Han shooting first and updating Jabba from the Special Edition. Other than that, leave the movies alone.

DarkArtist
05-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Just read on TheForce.net that the DVD's might be the achival versions and as a spoiler that the end of Jedi will have the spirit of Hayden Christenson instead of Sebastin Shaw. I for one will throw out the Jedi disk if this is the case. My bootleg copy is better. besides if this happens are we supossed to use the old and new versions of the Anakin figures as a generic Jedi?????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-19-2004, 10:40 PM
dark artist- yeah, the last two pages holds the debate to this issue. I think on the previous page is an actual pic of the scene if you haven't seen it yet. I agree that this is a travesty and i'm happy as hell that i have my bootlegged OT DVD's.

InsaneJediGirl
05-19-2004, 11:15 PM
If you're going to argue that Anakin's Spirit should be the same as the deceased Anakin's body, you should have started shoutin' 20 years ago that he's not bald, doesn't have scars, or missing body parts.

Actually,Your confusing the characters of Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker.Spirit is Anakin at Mid-life,not the evil Vader.Two entirely different people from my point of view.So,No reason to complain :)

I dont trust the picture too much myself,but I do have a feeling the movies have been messed with.If thats the case,Iwill be 40 bucks richer come September.

Hellboy
05-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Well I'll admit, most of the changes Lucas made to the OT for the Special Editions didn't bother me with the exception of the whole Greedo shooting first mess. For the most part I enjoyed the expanding of certain scenes and the visual enhancements he made feeling it helped form a greater sense of continuity with the prequels.

This whole idea of having a younger Anakin appear at the end of ROTJ though is taking the whole process a bit far though if you ask me. Unless there is some sort of explanation we're not privy to, maybe something that has yet to be revealed and will make sense after EPIII, I'm not getting how he could possibly justify this as being necessary.

We all know that Vader had some good left in him and that Anakin was simply a prisoner of that persona. Luke tapped into that prompting Vader to kill the Emperor so any arguement saying Anakin technically "died" once he became Vader is just not accurate. Remember Vader's last words "tell your sister you were right." He said this because Luke saw the goodness in him and believed it would prevail in the end. When we see the three spirits at the end of ROTJ its seems to imply that these old friends are finally together again and at peace. If one is old they should all be old, right?

I happen to own both versions on laserdisc so I was mostly buying the DVD's for the new supplemental material so I'm not as upset as some of you but I can understand why this isn't a popular change. Lucas at the very least owes the fans an explanation if he expects us to accept this new scene. :confused:

2-1B
05-20-2004, 02:37 AM
I don't blame JJB for getting riled up - I noticed that as soon as he opined that he thought it is a cool change, IJG told him to come out from the shadow of Lucas' behind. That's not cool . . . personally I love this idea and I sure as hell am not a Lucas-phile myself.

I was delighted when I read this rumor today and I REALLY hope it's true !
I think it's fantastic to put Hayden in there and having now thought about it all day, I'll be let down if it's not true.

It works on a few levels for me:

A) Yes, Anakin did start down the dark path pre-Episode 3 but he had not "officially" become Darth Vader yet.
B) This looks like Anakin as Obi-Wan last knew him.
C) The ghost in ROTJ appears as an old man, yet with hair and without scarring. To me, his appearance was always an interpretation of the good man who became Darth Vader.

For 1983, it made perfect sense to do an interpretation of him as an old dude yet without that scarring and such. But now that the saga is completed and we know what Anakin looked like, then I'm excited at the idea of his spirit taking on the form of his younger self.

I understand the idea that he was Anakin, then Vader, then Anakin again so it makes sense that we should see Old Man Skywalker at the end. Frankly, if they had shown the ghost with no hair, a few scars, and part of his dome lopped off, then I would not be in favor of making a change.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-20-2004, 03:40 AM
Sorry Deoxy, I guess I went over the top there.

actually, pardon me for being a bit too sensitive earlier today (I think it's that time hehe)...it's just a movie in the long run! :)

I was mainly directing that not at folks here who discuss things somewhat sanely, but like on AICN talk about death threats and burning down Skywalker Ranch.

actually, I completely understand that!! I don't visit the other forums that much simply because of how "strangely violent" some of those folks get lol lol

I dunno. This seems a bit insulting to the memory of Sebastian Shaw. Why not use CG to replace Dumbledore in the first two HP films with the new guy? Or digitally replace Jodie Foster with Julianne Moore in Silence of the Lambs, just to give it a bit more of a connection?

It's also insulting to everyone else who worked behind the scenes of that scene: costume designers, directors, screenwriters, caterers. . . .

Lucas can make changes to his creation, but he's not the only artist who put his soul into these movies. I'd be happy with any changes to the trilogy he chooses to make, but only if he offers the original and 1997 versions as well. (I can live without the original cut of AOTC, but it'd be nice to get the big screen and VHS versions of TPM, if only to cut out that silly spinning podrace bit.)

This is the perfect post on so many levels having to do with these changes and what irks me the most is that there are SO many other people whose ideas and art make up star wars, more so than anything GL has EVER put into star wars and he acts like he's the one that made up the entire story...heck, we wouldn't even have "the look" of star wars that we do if it were'nt for Ralph McQuarrie...that guy to me is the sole purpose for the way star wars appeared on screen! And here comes GL, changing this, changing that, and it blows me away what things he picks to change??? I think his goiter(sp?) has gone to his brain and totally infected it!! I seriously think he's got OCD or some kind of psychological disfunction, like washing one's hands thousands of times, he has to change things thousands of times, even if it's for the worse. I'm really beginning to see this guy for what he is...a nutcase!

Whoever said he's not doing it for money, I think you're right!! I think it's out of pure craziness!

2-1B
05-20-2004, 04:21 AM
See ?

Deo and JJB enjoying a friendly dissention.

Life is grand. :)

arctangent
05-20-2004, 04:55 AM
i have no problem with directors altering and re-releasing their films - the directors cut of bladerunner was much, much better than the original and is what would have been released in the first place if it hadn't been for stupid film company executives but mr lucas is taking it to extremes here. he seems to be making changes for changes sake - tinkering with the films because he can. it also smacks of lucas trying too hard to make the ot and prequels link together - why not superimpose haydens face onto vader when luke takes his mask off and then just say that the suit kept him from aging just so we are all 100% clear as to who it is behind the mask. do we really need to see hayden instead of sebastian and the end of rotj? what possible difference does it make to the overall story? to me it just doesn't make sense, really. and as for anakin's jedi spirit not having any scars and not being bald - well the force healed his spirit when he returned to the light side and thus restored him to how he would have looked at that age had he not become darth vader.

unlike bladerunner, star wars is not being improved storywise or as a filmic experience. its just being played around for no real obvious reason.

Beast
05-20-2004, 08:21 AM
I don't agree with anyone who says he's doing it for money. If money was the primary motivator for these changes, then we'd see three different DVD releases on Sept. 21st. The original versions, the special editions, and these new archival cuts. Lucas knows that most of us would but all three, thus increasing his profits.

So I fail to see the reasoning behind saying that he's doing it only with greed in mind. Hell, you also have to figure these changes are also costing him money. Not to mention the restoration, the production of the extras, etc. If greed was the primary motivator, these DVD's would be bare bones. And there as I said, would be three different flavors being released for us crazy Star Wars fans to buy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

arctangent
05-20-2004, 08:45 AM
I don't agree with anyone who says he's doing it for money. If money was the primary motivator for these changes, then we'd see three different DVD releases on Sept. 21st. The original versions, the special editions, and these new archival cuts. Lucas knows that most of us would but all three, thus increasing his profits.

i don't agree that star wars fans would immediately rush out and buy all three. i think most of us would just buy our favourite version which means that any new archival cut would be largely ignored. many would go for the original versions and some (like myself) would go for the special editions. i am sure some people would buy all three sets but i think they would be in a minority. and releasing three different sets might please some fans but it would cost more money to produce, so by just releasing a four disk set of one version of the films he is maximising sales potential because he knows that most of us star wars fans will snap it up whatever.

So I fail to see the reasoning behind saying that he's doing it only with greed in mind. Hell, you also have to figure these changes are also costing him money. Not to mention the restoration, the production of the extras, etc. If greed was the primary motivator, these DVD's would be bare bones. And there as I said, would be three different flavors being released for us crazy Star Wars fans to buy. :)

i guess we will have to wait and see whether george is greedy in future or not. how many people will be annoyed if they buy this set because the originals are never coming out on dvd only to find in a few years that the originals are released after all. and what, one day if all six are released as a special boxed set with new extras or different versions again, knowing full well that thousands of star wars fans will buy it just because they want everything.

but if george leaves it at just this four disk release of the ot and doesn't release any other versions of it then fair enough, no one can accuse him of greed.

JEDIpartner
05-20-2004, 09:22 AM
I know I certainly wouldn't buy all three. I would probably just get the new ones since I already have the special editions on boot DVDs and the Original OT on a couple video cassette sets.

evenflow
05-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Jar Jar Binks

Well like I said I dont think he is doing it for money, but I wish he was at least we would be getting three different versions. If that was the case I wouldn't mind and actually buy all three. I WISH HE WAS DOING IT FOR MONEY!

El Chuxter
05-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Well like I said I dont think he is doing it for money, but I wish he was at least we would be getting three different versions. If that was the case I wouldn't mind and actually buy all three. I WISH HE WAS DOING IT FOR MONEY!

Right on, brother!

I wonder if some member of Orson Welles family discovered a few extra scenes he supposedly wanted to include in Citizen Kane and decided to restore them--only with Welles' head superimposed over Kelsey Grammer's body, and using Welles' voice from War of the Worlds and The Transformers: The Movie--how that would go over.

Once again, Lucas has demonstrated his secret love for bootleggers everywhere. At least we can look forward to the absolute flood of releases and spin-offs years from now, when Lucas is dead and his kids have the rights.

Jay86
05-20-2004, 03:58 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BinksTo say that Lucas does anything first and foremost for the money involved is a pretty senseless form of thought. He wrote the OT for his love of space opera's like Flash Gordon, and he wanted the OT to do well, therefore its pretty safe to say that after what has happened since the release of the OT I'm sure he's pretty satisfied with the movies he's written. I mean we all know what kind of guy George is, a tinkerer, he likes to change things and make things different. I mean hell he didnt like the script for Indiana Jones 4 and therefore that meant that they had to completely rewrite it!!! If he wanted to ruin Star Wars, he never would have released the prequels, he would have said "screw all of you" and went into hiding at his ranch. Maybe some people dont agree with what he put in Episodes 1 and 2, but those people need to remember some things :
- We all grow up, as we grow up, sometimes we forget to just enjoy things, and instead we focus on critiquing movies instead of just watching them and taking them in for what they are.
- George Lucas now is the same guy who wrote the Original Trilogy, maybe hes older yes, but hes the same guy who had a love for space operas who wrote his own who dreamed of being able to do all the things he has done, only he didnt get to put the kind of technology into the OT as he did the prequels, so its kind of like a little kid on Christmas day, here he is with the prequels on his hands and state-of-the-art computer technology at his finger tips, something hes been dreaming of since the first 3 SW films, so of course the guy is gonna go computer happy.

And if all else fails......theres always the original, unedited version of the Original Trilogy on VHS :D

....its not like the original unedited versions are being whiped from existance.

JediTricks
05-21-2004, 04:37 AM
I hadn't noticed a lot of folks mentioning any greed aspect yesterday, I think that one is a non-issue.

Here's one I just thought of though, how is Luke supposed to recognize the Spirit of Anakin now? He certainly doesn't look like the old guy under the helmet anymore. And for that matter, how is the AUDIENCE supposed to recognize him?

Darkness Shroud
05-21-2004, 09:31 AM
I know this rumour is old news so im going over old ground. ( Also i'm not sure if it fits in here.) On the BBC teletext service there is a DVD new and reviews section. In the news the reporter states "George Lucas is tinkering with the Star Wars films again!" he goes on to say that Lucas is altering the ending of ROTJ. Instead of Sebastian Shaw it will now be Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. If there IS any truth to this why cant George Lucas leave things alone? I'm not to happy to hear this. :cry:

Droid
05-21-2004, 10:20 AM
There may be changes on the September release, I really don't know. However, I DO NOT buy that Hayden will be seen in Jedi. Remember on the Ask the Jedi Council where someone asked if Padme would be reedited into Jedi and Callum's response was something like, "What are you on crack?"

Shaw will stay in Jedi and it will be his ghost seen at the end. That ghost lineup was for Luke's benefit. He was the only one who could see it. The ghosts didn't have to manifest themselves for each other's benefit. They already existed together on some ethereal plane. No, they appeared for Luke. And Anakin appeared after Yoda and Ben. My thought was always that because Anakin didn't become one with the force in the same way that Yoda and Ben did, that they had to assist Anakin's spirit in appearing for Luke.

The bottom line is this - if Hayden appears Luke would have NO IDEA who it was. He never met young Anakin and never saw a hologram of him.

I ain't buyin' it.

Anyone remember the pre-Episode I rumor that had Charlton Heston playing Yoda?

I'm waiting for Lucasfilm confirmation or watching my DVD.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2004, 12:52 PM
There may be changes on the September release, I really don't know. However, I DO NOT buy that Hayden will be seen in Jedi. Remember on the Ask the Jedi Council where someone asked if Padme would be reedited into Jedi and Callum's response was something like, "What are you on crack?"

There will be changes. Steve Sansweet already confirmed that and the news was in an article on the SW website.

As for this specific change with the end to ROTJ, I'm inclined to believe it. The Digital Bits isn't a supershadow affiliate or anything, and those guys are usually in the know when it comes to DVD news. This isn't like a picture that just surfaced with everyone calling it false, this actually has some credible backing behind it.

With that said, nothing's official until Lucasfilm speaks.

Droid
05-21-2004, 02:19 PM
The Star Wars website said, "When asked if the forthcoming DVDs would feature the original theatrical release versions of the trilogy or the Special Editions, Sansweet answered that the films contained on the discs would be the incarnations of the films "as George Lucas sees them today." He reminded people of the 1995 video release of the trilogy that hailed itself as the last time the original theatrical cuts would ever be available. "They weren't kidding," Sansweet noted."

This does not mean the trilogy is changing since the Special Edition. I think it probably will. But there is no reason to think Lucas sees the trilogy different today than he did when he released the Special Editions. We know he sees the trilogy different then when it had its original theatrical release.

But as I said, I do think there will be changes. But I still doubt Hayden being seen in Jedi.

Kidhuman
05-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Ack, out of it for a little while and people get dilusions of Grandure(sp?) This if horrible. Ican not beluive this would be done. The last time I saw S**t like this I flushed it.

Pendo
05-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm actaully looking forward to seeing the changes made, and watching the new movies. I just wished that these "altered" versions weren't the only ones we were getting, and that we could have the other two (especially the first) versions of the movies :).

PENDO!

Deoxyribonucleic
05-23-2004, 01:09 AM
Ack, out of it for a little while and people get dilusions of Grandure(sp?) This if horrible. Ican not beluive this would be done. The last time I saw S**t like this I flushed it.

Ever the subtle one aren't you ;)

gotta love ya! :)

Ya got the kahonies to say it how it is. :silly:

Tonysmo
05-24-2004, 02:40 AM
well.. maybe this image will stir the pot a bit eh?

http://swg.stratics.com/images/newsposts/HaydenJedi.jpg

Id upload the pic, but the restrictions limit me, and I have no good programs here at work.. meh. enjoy

Darkness Shroud
05-24-2004, 01:03 PM
I have to say that's a pretty good picture, even if its real or fake.:)

JEDIpartner
05-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Nice picture... either way. It would be a real shame if they ditch Sebastian Shaw during the spirit scene.

Beast
06-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Well, looks like there is likely a change to the Han/Greedo scene. They added a digital jump from Han, when Greedo's blaster shot misses. Looks tons better then the SE version. Crap, I need to remove the link. It adds a Spyware onto your machine. I'll try to find a place to host it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
06-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Now thats a modified scene I can get behind. :cool:

Kidhuman
06-03-2004, 12:26 AM
I feel he should just put it back to where Han shoots first.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-03-2004, 12:37 AM
I feel he should just put it back to where Han shoots first.

Um, i second the motion put forth by my bald headed bearded buddy here. how about Lucas just NOT mess with anything and release them? Is that too much to ask?

Thank God for my OT DVD's. I'll be saving $$ come september! :D

Pendo
06-03-2004, 11:44 AM
JJB has sent me the file, and I have found space to host it.

http://www.thereddwarfzone.co.uk/Downloads/HanSoloVersusGreedo2004.wmv

I won't be able to keep the file on there for too long, but hopefully long enough for everyone to catch it :).

PENDO!

Kidhuman
06-03-2004, 12:45 PM
It sucks. Its the same crap as the SE. Who cares if he flinches, leave Han shooting him and that is that

Pendo
06-03-2004, 01:27 PM
It sucks. Its the same crap as the SE. Who cares if he flinches, leave Han shooting him and that is that
I too would rather leave Han shooting Greedo first, however the change is much better than that awful "jerk" in the SE. If we're going to get the 'Groodo shoots first' version then the change is for the best :).

PENDO!

Deoxyribonucleic
06-03-2004, 02:13 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm.

I plead the 5th

I just don't give a crap anymore!

derek
06-03-2004, 06:24 PM
i'm with jar jar and caesar on this one......i think that screen shot of hayden with yoda and old ben looks cool.

i'm really hoping they re-shot the scene where luke removes vader's helmet and a battle scarred hayden is added to that scene as well. :p

Kidhuman
06-04-2004, 01:45 AM
No No No!!!!!!!!!!! It would be like making the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz into flying Tigers. Once you know how something is played out, it cant be changed in ones mind or eyes. STop hacking things that were great into subpar pieces of trash.

2-1B
06-04-2004, 05:13 AM
Good call Derek, now I'm hoping that they bring in Hayden to redub all of JEJ's lines as Vader. :p

evenflow
06-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Well if that is what they do to the Han Greedo scene thats fine. It doesn't look as bad as the special edition.

Pendo
06-05-2004, 10:00 AM
The trailer for the DVDs is now up on the official site for Hyperspace members. It looks TOTALY AWSOME :D!

Image and sound quality is going to be superb, and the extras look amazin too (but not too much given away). There didn't seem to be any any changes to the movies from what I could tell from the trailer.

PENDO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Can somebody maybe send the Greedo scene to me via e-mail? My address is jangojohnl@aol.com - for some reason, the site's not working.

What else does the preview say, Pendo?

Beast
06-05-2004, 01:12 PM
The trailer for the DVD release was pretty good. I didn't notice many obvious changes. It does look like there was some explosions, blaster fire, and lightsaber enhancements. They all seemed to be a lot brighter and more solid then they used to be. Or I'm just being overly picky. It looks good, regardless. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
06-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Can somebody maybe send the Greedo scene to me via e-mail? My address is jangojohnl@aol.com - for some reason, the site's not working.

What else does the preview say, Pendo?I have removed the Greedo scene from the website server so you cannot download it any more, but check your inbox ;).

The preview doesn't share any new information, it basically just explains that each film has been digitaly restored frame-by-frame and remastered for the ultimate picture quality. They have been remixed in 5.1 Surround EX. All new feature-length Audio Commentaries. The Empire of Dreams is the most comprehensive documentary ever created on the making of the trilogy, including brand new interviews with over 40 cast and crew members.
It also shows that Peter "Lord of the Rings" Jackson has been interviewed to discuss how Star Wars has influenced movies.

It does look like there was some explosions, blaster fire, and lightsaber enhancements. They all seemed to be a lot brighter and more solid then they used to be.I agree about the explosions and lightsabers, but I don't think they've been enhanced, it's probably just due to the restoration of the film. Obi-Wan's saber still looks a little green in one shot against Vader. I still think there will be some changes to the movies and special effects, but they didnt want to reveal them on the trailer. Unfortunatly it looks like the Emperor still has his "slug" thing :(.

PENDO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2004, 01:29 PM
The changes sound good. Are the lightsabers now like the ones in ROTJ, TPM, and AOTC?

Pendo, thanks for the scene! It looks a little weird though. Now Greedo is an even worse shot. :D At least it's not as bad as the SE though.

Pendo
06-05-2004, 02:35 PM
The changes sound good. Are the lightsabers now like the ones in ROTJ, TPM, and AOTC?

Pendo, thanks for the scene! It looks a little weird though. Now Greedo is an even worse shot. :D At least it's not as bad as the SE though.
The lightsabers look exactly the same, just brighter and colourful :).

PENDO!

Beast
06-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey, for those that don't have Hyperspace:

http://www.vincehardy.com/swboard/dvdtrailer1320.mov

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
06-06-2004, 09:26 PM
I went back and re-examined the one quick shot of the Obi-Wan/Vader duel and the lightsabers don't seem to have any additional colour enhancements.

Jay86
06-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the link Jar Jar!!!!

Boba Rhett
06-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Nuts, it seems to be down now. Anyone have another link?

Pendo
06-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I might put it on a server later, but I don't want it on for too long.

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2004, 11:42 AM
dammit, it's still down. Yeah, somebody put it up somewhere so i can glance at it, dammit!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
06-07-2004, 12:02 PM
I am now accepting AIM file transfers to those who might want to see it. I'm here for another twenty minutes.

EDIT-Also, if anyone I don't know on a friendly level wants to get it this way, I'll need your AIM name first, because I have my privacy levels set so only those on my buddy list see me online. So I'd have to add you on mine and then we could get this show going.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2004, 03:08 PM
well, thanks to Mr. bobafettfield, Well, i'm eating my words: i'll probably buy this. The sound and image quality looks too good to pass up. I guess i have but no choice to get past the changes that Lucas is making....but that doesn't mean i'm happy with them. the extras look pretty decent and i can't wait to see what the episode III stuff, including the video game. Dammit Lucas, this is $$ i'm grudingly going to give you. :D

Also, if anybody can e-mail/IM me the Greedo/Han scene, i'd be more than grateful.

Kidhuman
06-08-2004, 10:31 AM
I would appreciate the trailer as well. Pendo, you seem to have it, if you could hook me up please sir.

Pendo
06-08-2004, 11:46 AM
I am currently uploading the trailer, it will be at this address (http://www.thereddwarfzone.co.uk/Downloads/dvdtrailer1320.mov) once the upload is complete.

I will only have the trailer on there for a few hours, so I will be removing it later tonight, hopefully you'll see it before I remove it :).

PENDO!

Deoxyribonucleic
06-08-2004, 12:00 PM
I'm d/ling it right now.

Thank You Pendo :)

Kidhuman
06-08-2004, 12:08 PM
I can not get it to work. It should be quick time format right?

Edit: I opened the url into quicktime player and it worked, thanks Pendo

Boba Rhett
06-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks a ton, Pendo! :classic:

Beast
06-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Here's a peek at the individual cases for each of the movies. So at least they are going to match up with the prequel DVD cases pretty well. No picture of the 'Bonus Disc' case though. Looks great, can't wait til September. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Looks pretty nice, although I'll never figure out why every re-release has to scrap the art from the previous version. :)

The five Dave Dorman posters so far are awesome, and the original posters from the first releases are too cool to just be forgotten like Uncle George seems to want to happen.

That's definitely Ian McDiarmid on the ESB case, but that could mean nothing. He was on the ESB:SE poster as well.

Kidhuman
06-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the pic JJB. Looks very sweet.

Pendo
06-18-2004, 05:12 PM
http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/image.cgi?Image=holonet/newspics/trilogydvd_saleskit02.jpg

Another look at the cases. The Episode IV one is exactly the same but there seems to be a difference in the Episode V and VI DVDs, and the Bonud Disc.

To be honest I'm not sure if I like them. They will probably grow on me, but for now I'm undecided. The image of Luke on Episode IV and the image of Vader on Episode V just don't look right.

PENDO!

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I don't like this version quite as much. The Bonus Disc being the old McQuarrie art is awesome, but you're right about the Luke and Vader. They're both fudged from the actual scenes, and look like they were done badly. (IIRC, Luke should be holding a blaster in the shot that view of his head comes from, and the entire body is wrong; and Vader should be pointing, not holding a saber.)

Beast
06-18-2004, 05:49 PM
That seems to be the versions on the Lucasfilm Tear Sheets also. I like them myself. Better then the versions that were shown in that earlier picture. :)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/swtrilogymarketing01.html
http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode4coverdvd.jpg
http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode5coverdvd.jpg
http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode6coverdvd.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
06-18-2004, 07:22 PM
well at least they have cover art that matches the films, unlike some of the earlier releases. if i recall correctly, the previous "ROTJ" case had a silouette of luke from "ESB" on the cover, and the previous "ANH" has bespin leia on it.

i don't really care for that photo of luke on the "ANH" cover. that's from a promo shot if i recall correctly, and i really would of liked to see a bespin luke on the "ESB" cover.

vadersvette
06-18-2004, 10:40 PM
I have mixed feelings over the silver logos. In one way, I was hoping for all 6 movies to have the same gold/tan color. But in another way, the silver does make a neat separation between the two trilogies.

2-1B
06-19-2004, 01:37 AM
I am unimpressed by these. Luke and Vader look terrible on the ROTJ cover but at least LAndo is getting love and he's on the ESB box.

Inexcusable that these don't match the color of the TPM and AOTC boxes. :(

Jayspawn
06-19-2004, 11:11 AM
I think they look fantastic and I cant wait to get them!!!!! :eek: :evil:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-19-2004, 02:23 PM
I like them, a lot! Even though Luke looks a little odd, it's not that bad. The only two problems I have is that there isn't a "widescreen" bar at the top like AOTC and they're silver. I guess that the fullscreen version might be gold, but I think it would be better if f.s. was blue (like TPM and AOTC) and w.s. was gold. Anyway, I like them, they are much better than that crap they showed a few months ago.

JEDIpartner
06-21-2004, 09:32 AM
I am unimpressed by these. Luke and Vader look terrible on the ROTJ cover but at least LAndo is getting love and he's on the ESB box.

Inexcusable that these don't match the color of the TPM and AOTC boxes. :(
Yeah... the colours on these look like poorly photoshopped mash-ups. I'm wondering if the the Pan & Scan covers will have the gold colouring as the outer shell has the gold. That's just stupid of them, actually.

2-1B
06-21-2004, 10:39 AM
JP, I'm still not big on some of the images use for the DVD sleeves but after thinking about it longer, I'm warming up to the idea of silver instead of gold.

I mean, at least the font is the same so they'll still match up that way (I'm assuming the spines will match that way). And heck, why not separate colors ? The two trilogies are different anyway, so why not split them in half with a gold/silver combo ? :p

JEDIpartner
06-22-2004, 11:47 AM
I suppose so but aren't the backgrounds on the prequel DVDs predominantly orange? I'm not sure I like all that neon-esque colouring going on there.

Darkness Shroud
06-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Dont you think that they could have released that photo so the people that make copies and distribute forged dvds get the wrong "crap" covers?:)

JEDIpartner
06-22-2004, 03:23 PM
not this late in the game.

El Chuxter
06-22-2004, 03:33 PM
I don't know about that. Bootleggers can churn out product (especially of this type) far more quickly than they could in 1983, and the major companies are still able to sneak something out every once in a while, so I wouldn't doubt this possibility yet.

JEDIpartner
06-22-2004, 03:46 PM
The only reason I doubt it is that it's part of their advertising campaign and the whole shebang. Why do it for Star Wars when there was no need to do it for E.T., Indy Jones or any of the other "highly anticipated" films?

vadersvette
06-23-2004, 01:31 AM
I'm not so sure that these are the final product designs. I zoomed in on that last picture and saw that the ROTJ box had the green saber blade run out into the spine underneath the words Star Wars. See picture.

JEDIpartner
06-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Who knows... maybe they'll go back and "fix" and reissue the PT DVDs now too... :rolleyes:

Deoxyribonucleic
06-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Who knows... maybe they'll go back and "fix" and reissue the PT DVDs now too... :rolleyes:

Goodness, NOOOOOOOOO!

;)

Beast
06-25-2004, 04:28 AM
The Official Site updated and revealed that those are the official covers for the IV - VI DVDs. And they also revealed the cover art for the bonus disc. Very sweet stuff. And for those purists, the DVD's themselves feature the original poster art. :)

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/06/news20040624.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
06-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Yeah... these are the official covers. We can put that to bed now.

CooLJoE
06-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Too bad the individual cases have a different color than the prequels. I wouldn't mind being able to get prequel inserts for widescreen that match these new ones. I don't want seperate colors for the 2 parts.

Darkness Shroud
06-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Let's not forget that the special editions more than likely will have cover's stylised to fit in with the PT dvd covers. George Lucas Has made it clear many times that the SE's are his true vision of the trilogy. The classics That are coming to dvd were "fan requested" from my understanding. :) I'd rather the fit with the rest though.;)

Deoxyribonucleic
06-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Let's not forget that the special editions more than likely will have cover's stylised to fit in with the PT dvd covers. George Lucas Has made it clear many times that the SE's are his true vision of the trilogy. The classics That are coming to dvd were "fan requested" from my understanding. :) I'd rather the fit with the rest though.;)

The DVD's that are coming out in Sept are the SE's, not the orginal versions from '77, '80 and '83, which will never, according to Lucas, be on dvd. So unless he makes prequel dvd's to match these, people are SOL. I myself don't care if the prequel dvd covers match or not...in fact, I'd prefer them to be different. :)

Darkness Shroud
06-25-2004, 01:36 PM
The DVD's that are coming out in Sept are the SE's, not the orginal versions from '77, '80 and '83, which will never, according to Lucas, be on dvd. So unless he makes prequel dvd's to match these, people are SOL. I myself don't care if the prequel dvd covers match or not...in fact, I'd prefer them to be different. :)
Sorry I 90% sure that these dvd's are the originals from 77, 80 & 83 :)

Beast
06-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Sorry I 90% sure that these dvd's are the originals from 77, 80 & 83 :)
Then you would be 100% wrong. These are what were once known as the 'Special Editions' versions of the Original Trilogy. The 'SE' name has been dumped, because they are the only official versions that will ever be released by Lucasfilm. He doesn't consider the original cuts to be his final visions of the film. Even the SE cuts are most likely not going to be what's on the DVD's, as these will feature his new final cuts. Rumored to include some tweaked and polished lightsaber work, a redone Emperor in ESB, and other changes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks