PDA

View Full Version : I finally caved on Ephant Mon

B'Omarr Monkey
02-12-2004, 10:03 AM
I finally caved in and shelled out $23.00 for an Ephant Mon on ebay. I opted for a "buy it now" offer. I figure this is about the average price since I've been monitoring other auctions for him, as well as checking the few online retailers that actually have him in stock.

The thing that disgusts me is that I had to do this at all. I've mentioned this to Hasbro reps at the San Diego Con for years. They always say that they understand and that they're taking steps to correct the problem of availability, but it only seems to be getting worse, not better.

Lately, it seems that the "fans choice" figures are the ones people are having the hardest time locating, when these are the ones that should be most readily available.

Aside from SW toys, I also buy the Classic monsters line from Sideshow. These pieces are far more limited than the mass produced SW figures, yet I never have a problem finding them, nor have I ever had to pay huge secondary market prices on items I've put off buying, for whatever reason.

I can understand shelling out more for a figure that hasn't been available for years (though the sheer abundance of SW figures produced and kept carded over the last 10 years should still keep the prices low), but paying almost 5 times the release price on a figure that's not even a year old seems out of hand.

Anyway, I'm glad that Ephant Mon will soon be mine, but I feel pretty dirty paying that much for it.

DarthBrandon
02-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Sorry you had to pay that much B'Omarr Monkey, I bought two off E-bay (one carded, one opener) for $25.00 bucks, which was a steal at the time. I agree with your frustration, doesn't seem right does it, if it weren't for shoddy case assortments and the combination of scalpers/bad distribution we wouldn’t have to resort to E-bay or other members for help. This is an on going problem that needs to be addressed and addressed soon or Hasbro can kiss the customers goodbye.

TC & Peace

bobafrett
02-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah, my former girlfriend won an eBay auction for the R2 w/holographic Leia for over $30. Then the seller claims he lost it, and sent her money back and a couple of Star Wars cards. The availability on certain figures is ridiculous, especially when we are forced to pay so much just to get something that isn't "vintage". I got a loose Ephant Mon on eBay for a reasonable price, and a fellow SSGer was kind enough to sell me a carded Ephant Mon at what he paid, plus shipping. I got lucky there.

Kidhuman
02-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Sorry buddy. I feel your pain. I was lucky enough toget one in a trade when they first came out.

I agree that the fan's choice are the hardest to find. The only one I found regularly was Ellorrs. I found Amanaman by luck one night at Wal-Mart at 2am. There was a case of POTJ deluxe just sitting out and to top it off it was clearanced for 2 bucks. I also got the conecpt stormy in a trade as I havent seen him at retail at all(same as Ephant Mon).

Brandon, I dont mind resorting tofellow collectors on the boards for trades, as most of them feel the pain. They are good and decent about it. I dont think anyone that posts regularly would say give me ten figures or 25 bucks for Ephant(at least I hope they wouldn't). Scalpers have given this business a bad name. I hate having toresort to secondary markets for certain figures. I mean a concept stormie variant sold for just under 100 bucks on ebay. I mean "Dayum!!!". When other people see this, they run out and snatch up stuff that the collector can not get top easily and it only makes it harder for us. Ifor one wouldnt kiss the collecting good-bye, maybe just resort to buying cases online and getting what I need that way. The extras, the kids can have em.

DarthBrandon
02-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Brandon, I dont mind resorting to fellow collectors on the boards for trades, as most of them feel the pain. They are good and decent about it. I dont think anyone that posts regularly would say give me ten figures or 25 bucks for Ephant(at least I hope they wouldn't). Scalpers have given this business a bad name. I hate having to resort to secondary markets for certain figures. I mean a concept stormie variant sold for just under 100 bucks on ebay. I mean "Dayum!!!". When other people see this, they run out and snatch up stuff that the collector can not get top easily and it only makes it harder for us. Ifor one wouldnt kiss the collecting good-bye, maybe just resort to buying cases online and getting what I need that way. The extras, the kids can have em.

Not that I mind trading with others on the board, it's not that at all, I've traded with several members on this site and had a pleasant experience with them all (some are even considered friends) chatting on the boards, phone etc. It's just that most of these figures are not hard to get until the scalpers get their hands on them, so this is why I follow my fathers advise, "the early bird gets the worm son". If something doesn't come to the store (well most of it doesn't here) then I ask a fellow forumite for a favor or possible trade. They may be looking for something other than S.W. and 9 times out of ten I can get what they are seeking. Bottom line is that many factors are in play when searching for new figures i.e. scalpers, distribution, shoddy case assortments, other collectors, employees, etc. I still cannot find Red Skull (M.L.) for my son because he's a dam chase figure, when he shouldn't have been; this kind of stuff bothers me to no end. Who needs 3 Blade figures, 3 Silver Surfers, 2 or three Sabertooths, then just one of Fury, Mr. Fantastic, when they should be even in the case breakdown. S.W. is no different, somebody needs to tell Hasbro that if they are going to put officers or storm troopers in a case assortment, they should be even as well or a little more than just two per case. We don't need more than two Anakin's, Luke's etc in a case assortment, army builders are proven sellers, you don't see them peg warming and if you do LMK where or pick some up for me cause the more the merrier. As far as figures that fly off the shelves, why doesn't Hasbo put more out, they know what sells and what does not.

Silent Chazz
02-12-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm upset about this too, that Fans Choice figures are in short supply. Just like how they should repackage SA Clonetroopers on Saga Cards and have a full case of them, they should have a whole case of the Concept Stormie and a whole case of Ephant Mon.

Dr Zoltar
02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
I hear yeah. I paid $15 for Ephant Mon when he first showed up. I had to get it at a collectible shop that was being supplied by someone who I think worked at a retail store like Target. Since then, I have never seen an Ephant Mon for sale. I only saw the concept Stormy and SA Clonetrooper once and am sure glad I got them when I did. Never did see the package variation for either of these figs. Recently, pegs at my local Target, Wal-Mart and TRU (except one) have been sparely populated with figures. The message this is sending is that Hasbro and their retailers that carry the figs, really don't care about collectors.

LTBasker
02-12-2004, 02:57 PM
I got mine when KB's site put him up for sale, but I never saw him in stores. Not a single time, I haven't even seen him in comic shops, it's ridiculous. Of course Hasbro said they were gonna repackage him and ship him in 2003, and it's 2004 and still nothing. Instead we'll have to put up with pegwarmers being rehashed in "Hall of Fame." :rolleyes:

bobafett07728
02-12-2004, 03:09 PM
I finally broke down, as well. I picked one up for $20 off of eBay. The comic stores around here want anywhere from $30-$40. Now I had to get a case for it, which was an additional $13 (they don't make Star Cases to fit him.) So all-in-all, Ephant Mon cost me almost $40 after shipping of the two items. BAH!!!!

With my luck, he'll show up at KB clearance now. That's what always happens when I shell out $$$$$ for something! GRRRRRR!!!!

Kidhuman
02-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Very well said(typed) Brandon. There should be no such thing as a chase figure. I was in Wal-Mart about 30 minutes ago and talking to the Dept. Manager of toys. She was telling me that she couldnt order anymore basic figures because the pegs are clogged with Ack-Med, Dig. #2 and Hoth troopers. Even Padme Arenas. This type of distribution is pathetic. Figures should be packed evenly amongst cases. Even spread out the army builders to 6 per case. Fans Chioce figures should be the same way. I am tired of seeing pegwarmers everywhere I turn. The only time the items get moved is when they clearance them. Hasbro should take note of this and change there case packing ways.

B'Omarr Monkey
02-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Anybody who still needs a SA Clone Trooper let me know. There's three left at my grocery store and they've been there since around Christmas.

The biggest impact this is having on Hasbro, and I've posted this elsewhere a few weeks back, is that when Hasbro started the modern line of SW figures back in 95 or thereabouts, I was buying 3 of every figure and 2 of the vehicles (except the high priced guns). I didn't have any illusions of paying for my kids educations with the MIB or MOC stuff, simply I liked how it looked on/in the package, and I wanted 1 I could open. I bought the 3rd to trade with later in case I missed something, or to give my kids when they were old enough for them.

When the Mon Mothma, Death Star Commander wave came along, that almost ended it for me. I couldn't find any of these (though of course they ended up being abundant clearance figures a couple years later). I started settling for 1 figure, which I opened, and one vehicle. Poor distribution of the 12" line led me to drop it with the Luke X-Wing Pilot wave.

The Sio Bibble wave was the next big disappointment in terms of distribution, and even though I'd managed to at least get caught up to 2 of each figure by this point, when the Sio Bibble wave came and I had to spend 10-15 bucks per figure (all of which I snagged at San Diego Comicon) I decided 1 was going to be enough for now on.

So, essentially, Hasbro has lost whatever amount of money that is just from me.

I'm still pretty behind, which is aggravating, since it seems to be real hit or miss on whether any stores around here get anything. I actually picked up a few things from TRU online that I was missing, but they've got nothing right now either.

Banthaholic
02-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Fan's choice figures # 3 & # 4 have been been hard to find, although we hqve to remember that Hasbro is just playing it safe after the massive overproduce & pegwarming of #1 & # 2. I know of a few TRU's that still have plenty of #1 on the shelf.

Although from case breakdown's it looks like we'll have a few opportunities at Captain Antilles.