PDA

View Full Version : How to get the Original Trilogy on DVD

Darth Kirk
02-13-2004, 06:07 PM
OK, I am not sure if anyone has tried this yet, but if you take the OT laserdiscs and transfer them directly to DVD, you could have near perfect copies of the OT on DVD. Since it is a digital to digital transfer, degradation of the the quality wont be that much.. I will be doing this shortly, and will be reporting back on the results.. I just wanted to put this idea out there, just in case anyone else wanted to do it or has done it already..
peace :classic:

Beast
02-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Laserdiscs are actually not a digital format. They're an analog format. But yeah, people have been doing this for a long time. That's where most of the bootleg editions come from. Of course, not everyone has or can afford a DVD burner. Not to mention the LD player and Definative Collection Laserdiscs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Kirk
02-13-2004, 06:28 PM
OHHH Cost, thats right.. oops.. but it would seem like it would be the clearest format next to them crappy vhs copies.. And may I ask JarJar what these acronyms 'MTFBWY and HH!!' mean? Sorry, I am new to this..:)

Kidhuman
02-13-2004, 07:13 PM
May the force be with you and happy hunting

Darth Kirk
02-13-2004, 10:52 PM
What a dooof I am... Thank you sooo much Kidhuman :) :) :D :)

Mandalorian Candidat
02-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Has anyone tried to dub the VHS OT onto DVD yet? I don't have the equipment so I would have to take it to a video shop to have it done. I don't know it anyone would or could do it due to possible copyright concerns.

Darth Kirk
02-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Well I have transferred all of the 5 episodes into my Archos AV140.. I carry em around and it's clear as day.. For those of you who do not know what the AV140 is.. It is a 40 gig. HD mp3/mp4 player with a screen that lets you listen to mp3s, watch videos and pics.. It kix MAJOR arse.. I have all 5 films and about 200 mp3s and I still have like 28 gigs available.. I am plannin' on putting all the clone wars carts and the Star Wars Christmas Special :crazed: I put the video OT on dvd and I didn't like it.. That is why I thought the laserdisc would be a step up for more clarity.. :)

Reefer Shark
02-26-2004, 05:27 PM
I just found some really sweet copies of the OT (non SE) last night at a local scalper show. The picture and sound is perfect!

Got the 3 movies, plus an extra disc w/the holiday special & a bunch of other stuff for $40. The guy even made covers in the same style as EPs 1 & 2 so they look nice on the shelf together. I couldn't be more happy with my purchase!! :D

Apparently they were copied straight from a master reel that was used for the definitive LD set (they have all the extras too).

Anyone in the LA area looking for 'em, PM me and I could give you directions to the place.

rbaumhauer
02-26-2004, 06:08 PM
I spent a lot of time last week creating "Extra-Special Editions" of the trilogy for myself. I don't have the LDs, so I used the SE videos (hardly played at all, honestly, since I got them over 6 years ago) as a "base", but I wanted to get rid of the stupid bits of the SE. For that, I used the THX videos (also still in pretty good shape).

Each movie was about 4Gb, plus another few hundred megabytes of video for doing the necessary edits. Spent a few hours honing the edits in WinDVD Creator (came with my Plextor video capture box), and now have DVDs of ANH and ESB with the good bits of the SE, but no "Greedo shoots first", no Jabba in ANH, no battalion of stormtroopers against Han on the Death Star, no re-recorded Vader on Cloud City, no screaming Luke.

If I didn't tell you where I made the cuts, you wouldn't be able to tell, the sound is fantastic, and the picture held up surprisingly well.

Still have to edit ROTJ (to take out "Jedi Rocks", still trying to decide on Yub-Yub vs. SE ending), and I'm planning to do a fourth disk with "The Making of Star Wars", "From Star Wars to Jedi", and the extras from the SE videos.

I didn't like the built-in menu templates in WinDVD Creator, so I ended up not doing any menus on the DVDs - you pop them in the DVD player, and next thing you know, you're hearing the Fox Fanfare. I cut each movie into 25-30 chapters, and overall, I'm very pleased with how they came out.

I thought about picking up the LDs, but the cost of getting the Definitive Collection plus a player, just to make copies of three movies, was a bit too much. I can partially justify my DVD burner because I wanted one to back up my digital photos, but I still spent about $200 extra to get the video capture box and Sima "video stabilizer" (to defeat the copy protection on the tapes). I had fun doing the project, though, and I'm happy to have decent DVDs of the OT at last.

stillakid
02-26-2004, 10:44 PM
I spent a lot of time last week creating "Extra-Special Editions" of the trilogy for myself. I don't have the LDs, so I used the SE videos (hardly played at all, honestly, since I got them over 6 years ago) as a "base", but I wanted to get rid of the stupid bits of the SE. For that, I used the THX videos (also still in pretty good shape).

Each movie was about 4Gb, plus another few hundred megabytes of video for doing the necessary edits. Spent a few hours honing the edits in WinDVD Creator (came with my Plextor video capture box), and now have DVDs of ANH and ESB with the good bits of the SE, but no "Greedo shoots first", no Jabba in ANH, no battalion of stormtroopers against Han on the Death Star, no re-recorded Vader on Cloud City, no screaming Luke.

If I didn't tell you where I made the cuts, you wouldn't be able to tell, the sound is fantastic, and the picture held up surprisingly well.

Still have to edit ROTJ (to take out "Jedi Rocks", still trying to decide on Yub-Yub vs. SE ending), and I'm planning to do a fourth disk with "The Making of Star Wars", "From Star Wars to Jedi", and the extras from the SE videos.

I didn't like the built-in menu templates in WinDVD Creator, so I ended up not doing any menus on the DVDs - you pop them in the DVD player, and next thing you know, you're hearing the Fox Fanfare. I cut each movie into 25-30 chapters, and overall, I'm very pleased with how they came out.

I thought about picking up the LDs, but the cost of getting the Definitive Collection plus a player, just to make copies of three movies, was a bit too much. I can partially justify my DVD burner because I wanted one to back up my digital photos, but I still spent about $200 extra to get the video capture box and Sima "video stabilizer" (to defeat the copy protection on the tapes). I had fun doing the project, though, and I'm happy to have decent DVDs of the OT at last.

I planned on doing that as well at some point, but since you've beaten me to it, what are the odds of "obtaining" copies of yours or the "capture files" if they still exist?

Also, could you explain more about the "Sima" product? When I tried to capture some clips from the Episode II DVD, I found that the aspect ratio became "squished." Maybe your magic box would defeat that problem.

JediTricks
02-27-2004, 08:49 PM
I just found some really sweet copies of the OT (non SE) last night at a local scalper show. The picture and sound is perfect!

Got the 3 movies, plus an extra disc w/the holiday special & a bunch of other stuff for $40. The guy even made covers in the same style as EPs 1 & 2 so they look nice on the shelf together. I couldn't be more happy with my purchase!! :D

Apparently they were copied straight from a master reel that was used for the definitive LD set (they have all the extras too).

Anyone in the LA area looking for 'em, PM me and I could give you directions to the place.
Which Frank & Sons booth was it? Does it really have all the LD extras, or only a handful like the set that was on ebay earlier this month? Is the quality really that good?

rbaumhauer, that sounds great, I've been thinking about that myself, glad to hear someone finally up and did it. If I were doing the end of ROTJ, I'd experiment with Yub Nub for the audio but the SE visuals (probably sans Tatooine sequence, that one is the weakest).

Reefer Shark
02-27-2004, 11:21 PM
JT,
I think it's booth #708. I know it's definitely in the lower 700's. I think the guy that runs it is named Evan, could be wrong though... They have a bunch of DVD's, and some Monster/Sci-Fi toys. And there are 2 TV's in the booth.

I never had the LD set so I can't confirm the extras, but the seller did say that it had all of 'em. The sound and quality are excellent on the movies, easily the best "unauthorized" versions I've ever seen. Personally, I think the picture is better than the official THX vhs tapes. The set is well worth the $40 IMO, and the guy lets you check them out on his TV before you buy 'em.

It was pretty funny, this little crowd gathered around when he was showing me the MAD TV "lost auditions" skits (on the holiday edition DVD). Christopher Walken as Solo, Mathau as Obi-Wan, that stuff is funny as hell. Everyone was busting a gut!

rbaumhauer,
That edit sounds great man. I would love to see something like that!

JediTricks
02-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Oh, booth number, how fancy! :D ;) Thanks Shark, I'll check that out next week if I get the chance. Was this the set? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3387629656&category=41575

BTW, that's an SNL skit from when Kevin Spacey hosted I believe, not Mad TV.

Reefer Shark
02-28-2004, 12:49 AM
No problem bud. Hope the info helps! :)

The DVD's in that auction have different covers than the ones I got, but I think the dude that sells em at F-n-S just makes 'em himself. I just got done going through the DVD menus and made a list of the extras. Mabye someone could tell me if this is everything from the definitive LD's??

SW:
Original trailers
War Stories (GL interview)
Lucasfilm Archive segment

ESB:
Original trailers
Sound advice (Ben Burtt interveiws)
An untitled AT-AT special effects segment
An untitled storyboard/film comparison segment

ROTJ:
Original trailers
The ABC's of Jedi Effects (Dennis Muren interviews)
An untitled storyboard/rough cut segment
An untitled video of Jabbas band from 1983

Here's a pic of the actual DVD's I bought:
Excuse the crappy pic quality, my camera isn't cooperating with me tonight...

Reefer Shark
02-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Oh yeah, while I'm at it I guess I should list the Holiday Special DVD content:

Holiday Special
Troops
Hardware Wars Special Edition
George Lucas In Love
The SNL skits (I love these!)

JediTricks
02-29-2004, 08:17 PM
From what I've been told, that's not all of what's on the LDs, but it is what's on the disks I linked to. :D