PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone disappointed with the Original Trilogy Offerings?

Tycho
02-13-2004, 11:37 PM
This is a hard question to ask, but "is anyone disappointed with the Original Trilogy Offerings?"

My answer would have to be mixed, because I'm confusing the Saga Offerings from the OT with the OT Collection.

I was really hoping for more Cantina Aliens, some generic Imperial Officers, Rebel Pilots, Jawa Sandcrawler Scene Droids / Mos Eisley Droids / Death Star / Yavin Base Droids, a good Red Leader, some Ewoks, Luke, Leia, Lando from the End of ESB, and good Endor versions of Luke and Leia. Maybe some Cloud City extras, General Veers, some more Echo Base Personnel, etc.

What was really good for me so far, does not seem to be part of the OT Collection, but the Saga Collection.

These are figures I was really wanting and asking for:

Imperial Dignitaries
General Rieekan
R1-G4
J'Quille the Whipid
Rappertune the Shadda Ub
Tanus Spijek the Elom
General Dodonna
Captain Antilles
General Madine
Another Ewok (w. glider)
2 more Star Tours Droids
Cloud Car Pilot
Dengar

These figures I didn't need, but they turned out well enough I either bought them or plan to:

Wampa
Luke Hoth
Hoth Rebel Soldier from the Trenches
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight
Bar2-D2
Jabba the Hutt
Bubo the Frog-Dog (with friends)
Luke Dagobah
Spirit Ben
New Yoda
Dagobah R2D2
Gold Leader
Admiral Ozzel
Darth Vader with Meditation Chamber

These figures are good, but I just don't have any reason to buy them:

Lando Skiff Guard
Luke Jedi hologram
TIE Pilot
Bossk
Leia Bespin
new ANH Han
new ANH Luke Tatooine
new ANH Ben Kenobi

And I'd suspect the list would continue with Vader, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, and other OT figures they might plan on resculpting or re-releasing.

The new packaging looks great, but don't you have to draw the line somewhere? I'm already concerned because I collected the Animated Figures carded, and I'm really NOT a carded collector or a completist by any means.

Does anyone else feel slightly let down, or like you're waiting for still unanounced OT figures that are on your list but just not showing up as confirmed when you'd hoped they would be?

Silent Chazz
02-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Im let down a little in the lack of Endor figures. I'd love an updated Luke and Leia in Endor Tunics with the Tunics being Soft Goods and with Removable helmets. Also I want a Han with Softgoods Endor Coat.

As much as I do Like Throne Room Luke, He just wasnt that good. I want an updated DS2 Luke! lol

sicqnus
02-14-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm with you Tycho.

I have nickname for the upcoming Dagobah Training Luke : The Shrimp (or Prawn if you prefer pink...). Because everything is good except the head.
The Bespin Leďa looks good but I think the Leďa collection Two-pack one (with soft goods) is better (good news, for once the blaster is big enough).
The R2 is a rip-off. Rehash with always this wrong arm !!! (the silver dish). An old POTF mold, a touch of spraypaint and : "Magic !!!". I'm the GREAT David Copperfield !!! You will see nothing you fan because you're stupid ! Give me your banknotes and shut your mouth ! Electronic ? Who cares ? Even the cheapest asian toy could do that.

The Millenium Falcon is a scandal. Everybody was hoping for a new mold, a bigger ship and not this old-fashioned twenty years old toy !!! Everybody got a vintage or a POTF Falcon. The POTF one was on sale everywhere for years...
A new box ? Light-up engines ? WHAT A DEAL !!! If I saw tho good pics, the wrong color canopy (this ugly dark grey) is still there ! It's incredible, sometimes I wonder if Hasbro speaks the same language than the SW fans...

The Cloud Car pilot looks reall good, a must have to me. The Yoda is thinner than expected but good overall. He must fit in his bag after all. The Ben Kenobi is the POTJ one with soft goods. I'll keep my POTJ one, thx. The Han Solo ressembles everybody except Harrison Ford. He looks astounded (why not...). The Spirit of Ben Kenobi looks very good even if I had preferred something more translucent. The Lobot is also a great figure to me but I hope the face will be more impassive on the final product but anyway I'll get one.

The major dispointment is the Tie fighter. One more time with the ridiculous small wings/solar panels. And why making again the old fashioned Vintage/POTF X-wing ? Do Hasbro think we are all so nostalgic to buy this ?
We already have plenty of X-wings... If Hasbro wants to "rehash", where is the Sandcrawler ???

Silent Chazz
02-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Well I for one am buying the Falcon and X-wing. When these were available during the POTFII days, I never had the chance nor the money to buy the two. Now I do. So, bring these 2 puppies on, Hasbro!

jedihunter25
02-14-2004, 02:40 AM
I am disappointed too. A new Falcon is in order, but another X-Wing and Tie-Fighter??? They should call this line the Orginal Trilogy Re-Re-Rehash. Maybe someone should take an X-Wing from every year and cram it up every hole on the people from Hasbro that releases it. Then maybe they will be as sick of the X-Wings as we are. WHAT WE REALLY WANT AND BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS IS THE SANDCRAWLER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hope someone from Hasbro will be reading the forums during the Toyfair coverage.

plasticfetish
02-14-2004, 02:42 AM
I think it's perhaps a little too early to be genuinely happy or disappointed with any of it. You never really know until you see it in the store. I'm excited to see how it all turns out, and I'm not surprised by the selection so far. For the most part I'd suppose that the lack of more obscure characters is due to the fact that they're really trying to snag a more mainstream audience with these, along with the DVD release. If this stuff does well, then who knows what might come next... could be anything. Maybe even the ice cream maker guy finally.

Beast
02-14-2004, 06:47 AM
Not let down at all. In fact, everything looks great to me. Especially the SA Modern/Vintage figures. The Obi-Wan is one quite a few of us have been asking for. And hopefully they'll do a removable limbs C-3PO with a lot of articulation so he can sit also. It's all looking great, and I hope to see more once Steve's coverage of Hasbro's stuff starts. And the Leia: Bespin, finally. I hate the crappy Leia Collection one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rbaumhauer
02-14-2004, 08:56 AM
I'm pretty excited about most of the new figures, with a couple caveats. First, I'm not totally sold on soft goods on figures at this scale - Luke is passable, but the tunic is just a bit too bulky to look really good, and Obi-wan's cloak is just silly. Overall, I love the SA on the "vintage" figures - there better be a Vader and Stormie coming!

On the "planet-specific" waves, I'm very pleased with the Bespin wave - Leia looks great (no soft goods! Yay!), Lobot is fantastic, and the CCP is very nice. The Dagobah wave has some issues - Luke is effectively a statue, as the combination of the head sculpt and arms (no apparent poseability beyond shoulders) mean he'll look silly when he's not doing a hand-stand; R2 looks okay, but not fabulous; Yoda looks pretty nice, but does anybody else suspect that the top half of his body pops off to go in the backpack? The pack doesn't look big enough to fit his legs. Obi-wan looks about as good as I think they can make the "ghost" figures, though I still don't really care for him.

Overall, I'm fairly impressed - time will tell whether the promise of the first three "vintage" figures holds up for the rest of the line. If it does, they could easily be the best 12 Star Wars action figures ever made.

Turbowars
02-14-2004, 09:34 AM
why making again the old fashioned Vintage/POTF X-wing ? Do Hasbro think we are all so nostalgic to buy this ?
We already have plenty of X-wings... If Hasbro wants to "rehash", where is the Sandcrawler ???Umm isn't the Saga X-wing that is being rehashed? I hope so, because that POTF2 model wont fly.

Kidhuman
02-14-2004, 10:40 AM
I think they are great. They could have made other figures, but I am happy with what we got. There will alsways be that other character the could of made. I never got the Falcon in the POTF days so that is a pick up. As for the X-wing and Tioe Fighter, I dont have any X-wings and have the Tie Bomber, so I might get those two. The figures look great so far. I am kinda disappointed in the 12" but a pic of Boba could change that.

Banthaholic
02-14-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm not diapointed at all by the offerings. I actually applaud Hasbro for coming up with another subline of sorts. I'm just hoping it'll be run as nicely as last year's CW.

I'm not too upset about the Falcon, it hasn't been released since '97, it's one of those things that should be available for kids, new collectors, or just anyone that missed out on it the first time.

The x-wing & tie-fighter, while not necessary, they are two toys that do belong on the shelves. Never can have too many ships in one's fleet. Plus there something that any mom or dad would pick up for their children. As much as I want a Cloud car, I don't think it has universal appeal, I think it's best offered as a store exclusive. Now we just need a store to pick it up...

Kidhuman
02-14-2004, 10:52 AM
I think it's best offered as a store exclusive. Now we just need a store to pick it up...

I dont think it should be an exclusive at all, nothing from this line should be. As Wal-Mart doesnt carry any ships or playsets anymore, it leaves Target and TRU and those with KB's. So in its own right they will be exclusive to certain stores, but not just one.

Bosskman
02-14-2004, 10:53 AM
I'll be getting ost of the figures, even R2. Imight buy the Falcon and TIE if they're different enogh from the one's I already have but I won't sweatr it if they're not, just another $150 I can spend on something else. I won't be getting the X-Wing though. I wouldn't say I'm dissapointed because a lot of people missed some of this stuff the first time around. Honestly, right now I'd say I'm in the process of rounding out my collection. I don't need the rehashes like the HOF figures but I welcome them in a way because they're just more figures I don't have to buy. With the new Leia and CCPilot, we're so very close to getting all the vintage figures re-made and that was my hope for the new stuff when it first came out back in 95. Except for EIII, I don't think there will ever be a time again when my collection rapidly expands like it has befor. Just a gradual growth and re-placement of older figs with better newer ones, or not, and then it will be complete.

plo koon 200
02-14-2004, 11:48 AM
I like the line. I think it has good pacakging and some interesting choices for re-releases. I will buy any figure on these cards.

CrossWizard
02-14-2004, 12:31 PM
The only figure from the more recent announcement that I was looking forward and I find dissapointing is Dagobah Luke, he looks good as a statue, nothing more. I'm a bit bummed that they didn't announce a new Endor Luke with removable helmet and poncho so I'll keep waiting for it.

The "vintage" OT offerings look spectacular and will probably be the bulk of my purchases this year.

amidalak
02-14-2004, 01:22 PM
i'm with crosswizard, the only disappointment is dagobah luke, i want action figures, not statues! everything else looks pretty great, very pleased with the SA direction hasbro is taking.

bobafrett
02-14-2004, 02:20 PM
I for one, don't mind the Dagobah Luke A.) because I'm a carded collector, and B.) if I do get one to open, I'm going to display it, not play with the Dagobah Luke.

Maybe they could make him, so that when you press in the base, Luke would collapse like he does in "Empire", release the bottom of the base and he goes back into a handstand! You remember like the animals that do that same thing, they have the string that runs up through the figure?

Turbowars
02-14-2004, 02:31 PM
I for one, don't mind the Dagobah Luke A.) because I'm a carded collector, and B.) if I do get one to open, I'm going to display it, not play with the Dagobah Luke.

Maybe they could make him, so that when you press in the base, Luke would collapse like he does in "Empire", release the bottom of the base and he goes back into a handstand! You remember like the animals that do that same thing, they have the string that runs up through the figure?Yeah I remember those. I had a bunch of them when I was a kid.

Kidhuman
02-14-2004, 02:33 PM
That would be a cool idea Bobafrett, but then it means more action features, so pick your poison. :D

bobafrett
02-14-2004, 02:37 PM
That would be a cool idea Bobafrett, but then it means more action features, so pick your poison. :D

Knowing Hasbro with the "Action Features" they would screw it up, and only one leg would bend, and the rest of Luke would remain in the upright handstand position.

JediTricks
02-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I had very little expectations for this line, so I'm not disappointed. I won't be buying the rehashes of the X-wing or TIE Fighter again, I'm bummed that the TIE and Falcon didn't get remolded, but overall this doesn't seem so bad to me.

Hellboy
02-14-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm not disappointed or surprised with the offerings. I'm always in favor of more background characters being produced over new sculpts of core characters but this line seems to have some quality in it so I'm cool with it. The ships could've been better though but I will pick up the Falcon.

dr_evazan22
02-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Overall, no I'm not let down. It's unfortunate to see some re-releases, but I guess that's the price we have to pay to get some of the other fig's we've been dying to see.

What I find more disappointing is the vehicles. As cool as it is to see them in the new packaging I don't see either veh flying off the shelves. And lets hope that the TIE is the updated version. Another disappointment is on the Falcon. The model shown on the package has a great paint deco. The actual ship they display shows the mandibles painted dark. If I remember right, the POTF2 version had the same deco.

Lastly, confused? Is the Saga coming to an end (or at least OT fig's from the Saga), to be replaced by the OTC?

rbaumhauer
02-14-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm just disappointed with the Dagobah Luke because they're giving us a backpack with Yoda, but the Luke he would naturally go with doesn't look like it will be appropriate. Can't see myself displaying the new Yoda on the POTF2 Dagobah Luke, so what good's the backpack?

B'Omarr Monkey
02-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Aside from the soft goods issue (which I've never liked on the 3 3/4" line), I'm pleased with the theme waves (Dagobah, Bespin, etc.)

My main disappointment is that for some reason I was under the impression that the Vintage Line was going to be sculpted in the same style as the original vintage figures from the 70s-80s. How great would it be to see PT characters in that style? Or even OT characters that were never made, done that way?

That's what i was really hoping for.

As it is, the packaging looks great, and I'll probably pick up a release or two to keep on card, which is something I don't do anymore (except for the Cartoon Network versions--which I will probably open at some point anyway).

amidalak
02-14-2004, 08:18 PM
the soft goods and the SA are my favorite parts of the hasbro announcements! but to me, it shows that hasbro is at least trying to satisfy the different wants we collectors have. i know there are a lot of folks that don't like the soft goods because of the way they look, but there are also a lot of us who like them because they give the figures greater playability, especially when paired with the great articulation that looks to be coming. hopefully hasbro sticks with least the SA aspect when ep. 3 arrives.

Darth Kirk
02-14-2004, 11:56 PM
I want a 1/100th scale Death star with shooting laser light.. Damn, we should all be able to send notice to hasbro to make them produce what we want!!

Jaff
02-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Well I am relieved that I'll be saving a bit of money this year with this line. It's not that I'm dissappointed in the line, I am just not interested in buying rehashes of figures. I have tons of Lukes, Darths, Bens, R2's, 3PO, etc.. I have many multiples of many of the core caracters. I am looking forward to the Cloud Car Pilot, Lobot and Bespin Leia. I might want the Dagobah set too, but for now I'll wait until I see them. As far as the vehicles I'm not really interested, especially the Falcon. I have gone through 2 falcons, the vintage and the POTF one, and truthfully this new falcon has only miniscule differences from what I've seen. I am glad that they are making new core characters for beginners though!

Ken-Wan Obi Obi
02-15-2004, 05:17 PM
I am sad to see the Saga line end. We were doing so well with new, previously unreleased characters... Ozzel, Madine, J'Quille, R1, Dodonna, Gold Leader....

I loved the themed waves and hope Hasbro continues to release new figures.

I am disappointed that OTC will exclude great characters from AOTC and TPM that haven't been made into figures yet...

You watch... five years from now there'll be folks out there demanding every Pod Racer that has never been made just like we do now for Cantina Aliens and Jabba's Palace.

Sinister Lord
02-15-2004, 05:59 PM
My main disappointment is that for some reason I was under the impression that the Vintage Line was going to be sculpted in the same style as the original vintage figures from the 70s-80s.

You're not the only one. I was under the same exact impression, that at least some of the Original Trilogy line would include retro-designed toys as well as retro packaging. I thought Hasbro was following the same pattern as their 40th Anniversary GI Joe line which is totally retro, including both the toy and the package.

bigbarada
02-15-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm not disappointed at all, in fact I'm more excited about collecting right now than I have been in years. I love the retro-packaging and the soft goods on the figures and the vehicle offerings don't bother me that much. I was kind of hoping for a more accurate TIE Fighter, but it's no biggie. If they put electronics in it then I'll buy it, otherwise I just got ahold of the KayBee exclusive so I don't really need it. I was looking at the stubby-winged version the other day when rumors of a correctly-scaled TIE were floating about, and I decided I might have to pass on a more accurate toy since it would just be too big for the amount of space I have available.

When I first heard of a new Millenium Falcon, I instantly knew it would be a re-release of the old mold. Think of this in toy standards: as it is the Falcon is already too big and too expensive to be a great seller among parents with limited budgets, so why would Hasbro put out one that's twice the size for a dwindling adult fanbase? Anyways, I need a new Falcon (since my nephews claimed mine) and the packaging is just too cool on this new version.

From what I have seen so far, my 'must-haves' are: Han Solo, the Millenium Falcon, Bossk and the TIE Pilot. I'm hoping the new Chewie isn't just a re-release of the POTJ Mechanic, since he should be able to fit inside the Falcon cockpit. Just think, we could actually have a modern Chewie figure who fits inside the Millenium Falcon! :eek:

Paul-Kenobi
02-15-2004, 07:25 PM
I am not disappointed with this in fact I see NO flaw in this line whatsoever, the panit looks perfect, the sculpting looks perfect, the soft goods for once looks very well done (on luke and Ben) the articulation is great. Hasbro has done a perfect job on this.

The only thing I really HATE about this, and I quote from Galactic Hunter.

The Vintage Action Figure Assortment will come in several waves, each of which is only shipping once. If you miss it, you're out of luck, so toy runs and preorders may be in order for these action figures. If you recall the individual reissue Masters of the Universe figures from a couple of years back, it's a little like that since the reproduction of the original packaging is replicated right down to the Kenner logo, and then inserted in a large plastic clamshell. If you're having a hard time picturing this, the final product will basically be like a figure that ships directly from Hasbro in a Star Case-style plastic box and will also have some sort of insert with the modern Hasbro information on it

Which really sucks, becuase being as lame as my stroes are,and how people buy them all; there might be a 50% chance ill miss out on Luke and old ben or infact the whole line all together.

but non the less I see no problem with the figures and I hope ill get my hands on them.

B'Omarr Monkey
02-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I hear you about the stores. I just hit my Wal-Mart and TRU today. Wal-mart--entirely empty pegs, as it has been since they inventoried the toy section. Good use of store space.

TRU -same Zuttons and Lott Dods in the same exact position they've been in for the last year+.

Target for me is an hour long round trip and has been just as fruitful the last few times I've popped in.

Paul-Kenobi
02-16-2004, 02:04 AM
I hear you about the stores. I just hit my Wal-Mart and TRU today. Wal-mart--entirely empty pegs, as it has been since they inventoried the toy section. Good use of store space.

Indeed, add to the fact that if something new comes along alot of people just come in and buy them all and becuase its one strike and you lose this is what I don't like about hasbro, plus add to the fact I havent done any toy runs in a while.

Kidhuman
02-16-2004, 06:24 AM
Dont forget to add scalpers into the equation and you have a mix of never finding anything.

plo koon 200
02-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Hasbro is stupid to make their best sculpts in history some of the rarest toys of all time. They must belive that by having figures being worth $100's i.e. Sacul, TF Vader, and now neo-Vintage that the toy line is doing well. They think that if someone says hey a few figures they released last month now go for a $100 this is the line to collect.

stillakid
02-16-2004, 09:38 AM
I'm glad I didn't buy the Falcon the first time around (actually second....I have the "vintage" already). While this new one isn't a complete resculpt, at least they rethought the cockpit and added a couple of other features. It's not much, but it's worth picking up.

jjreason
02-16-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm not disappointed. I like the stuff that I'll be getting (basic figures that aren't repacked, vintage packaged figures, Falcon) and am not too worried about the stuff I'll be passing up. I think it's wise for them to keep these characters in the stores - but they maybe should be throwing in a few more new figures. I only count 8 out of the 21 (basic OTC figures) as new - that's not a very good ratio.

I hope the vintage ones aren't too hard to find; I'll likely wind up pre-ordering 2 full sets of these so I don't miss out on anything. I can't wait to see the pics of the rest of these vintage packaged, super poseables. If they're anything like the ANH ones, we should all be impressed *smiles while thinking of super poseable ROJ Boba and Endor Han with cloth coat*.

arctangent
02-18-2004, 05:35 AM
as far as i am concerned this just seems to be an opportunity for hasbro to try and sell us stuff that many of us already have. the old x-wing is terrible compared to the newer versions and there is not enough difference in the falcon to make it worthwhile - they should have started from scratch. and another tie fighter. why? its only just been re-released with a slightly re-tooled back end. from what i can see on the toy fare coverage many of these figures are re-releases (again). they don't even seem to be figures that were that hard to get hold of in the first place. i am fed up of being offered the same things over and over in different packaging.

having said that, some of the new figures do look nice, so i shall content myself with getting those and ignore the rest.

and for those mentioning it, i thought the new classic toy line was a completely different to this new original trilogy line.

Jayspawn
02-18-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm disapointed that they seem to repackaging the Falcon and POTF2 X-Wings. The SAGA X-Wing kicks total arse! I'm indecisive about the Tie Fighter. I think the Bespin Lave looks great. Lobot looks cool and Leia as well. I actually have no problem with the Leia Collection Bespin Leia so....

The Dagobah vave loooks cool too. The Spirit of Obi-Wan looks neat -I've not made up my mind yet. I still have yet to see the Holographic Luke to see the use of the color and such. Yoda looks cool.

My big beefs are...

WHERE is the SANDCRAWLER and YODA'S HUT?