PDA

View Full Version : C-3PO dumber than a battle droid?

B'Omarr Monkey
02-14-2004, 01:03 AM
This scene has bugged me since the movie came out, and I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, so here goes...

C-3PO ends up with his head on a battle droid's body and vice versa.

That's fine. It provided a little humor and some pad puns, plus it finally gave 3PO something to do in the PT (which is surprising since Lucas always claimed that he and R2 were the central characters of the SW films).

Now, the battle droids are all controlled remotely by a central computer. They are essentially morons who shoot, without much of a brain of their own.

C-3PO on the other hand has his own "brain" and being how he's versed in 3 million+ forms of communication, etiquette, protocol, working with binary load lifters (I wonder if we'll ever see that), etc, etc. --all of which must have come with the kit which Anakin used to build him. So, it makes sense that C-3PO is probably pretty smart for a droid.

So, why is it that during the head swap, the battle droid persona is dominant in both cases? C-3PO cannot control the battle droid body that his head is attached to. He keeps apologizing for blasting away. Meanwhile the battle droid head is having no problem shooting and mouthing off to the Jedi as it controls C-3PO's body.

What gives?

Darth Kirk
02-14-2004, 02:59 AM
I think that there might be a signal that overwrites all independent circuitry, since all battle droids are controlled by the 'central hub' aboard the federation starships.. And he isn't able to be independent until he is separated from that signal.. I liken it to the way the Borg 'recruit' new members.. thatís my two-cents.. :)

2-1B
02-14-2004, 03:35 AM
Terrible sequence, by far the worst part of AOTC. :(

Pendo
02-14-2004, 09:59 AM
I think that there might be a signal that overwrites all independent circuitry, since all battle droids are controlled by the 'central hub' aboard the federation starships.. And he isn't able to be independent until he is separated from that signal.. I liken it to the way the Borg 'recruit' new members.. thatís my two-cents.. :)Good theory, however if you take deleted scenes for canon (which they're not) then the battle droids are not controlled by the federation starships as Plo Koon and Ki-Adi-Mundi did their work in the control ship, only for the battle droids to continue functioning. This scene was dropped so your theory could still be valid, however it shows fault in George's writing (cue stillakid...;)).

Terrible sequence, by far the worst part of AOTC. :(Second worst sequence, after the crap with 3PO and the forklift droid :rolleyes:. Darn - 3PO, a character I loved in the OT, was the cause of the two worst scenes in AOTC :(. I know George considers R2 to be his favourite, but it doesn't mean he should destroy the 3PO character from the OT :cry:.

PENDO!

JediTricks
02-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Perhaps the backpacks contain a battle droid's motivational command & control systems and 3PO's brain, being much larger than a BD's, has to process those signals while working to overcome them and regain control of the BD body. The BD body would probably be harder to control by a different droid, perhaps even due to security measures to avoid having systems overrided, while 3PO's body is more basic and might have only generic interface circuitry which allows the BD head to control it freely.

Darth Kirk
02-14-2004, 02:44 PM
But.. but.. 3PO is funny.. Its a very corny kinda funny that only gets better with age; like a cheap wine from Big Lots that has been stored for many years in a ditch.. I do not know why u peeps be gripin', the quips he kept mouthin' off while on Geonosis was corny funny.. Lots and lots of maize I tells ya..

El Chuxter
02-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Terrible sequence, by far the worst part of AOTC.

C'mon, Caesar, you can't mean that. I mean, if C-3PO's head wasn't trapped on a Battle Droid body, apologizing like a nincompoop, what reason would Kit Fisto have had to show us his trademark mighty grin? :D

Has it ever been stated that 3PO's mind is entirely in his head? Being a robot, it could be anywhere. Or split between two parts of his body. I kinda think his "brain" is in his head, and his memory is in his chest. At least part of his mind is in his tummy, methinks, because that's where his data interface is (it would make sense for that to be close to a cognitive module of some sort) and where a restraining bolt attaches.

Backup thought modules in various body parts could also prevent data loss (or, in the case of someone like 3PO, what would amount to death) in the event of serious damage to the primary brain.

I also think the two-part brain theory is right because in ESB, he can't be revived until his head is restored to its neck.

In AOTC, the parts are separated, but only for a second or two before they're reconnected with Battle Droid parts.

I think "moron" might not be the right word for a BD, since it implies some thought processes. BD's have less brains than the Falcon. None, in fact.

So if two brains, each less effective when separated from the other, are connected to bodies that are providing an overwhelming "destroy!" order via remote control, it sort of makes sense that the result would be a schizo droid like the two we see in AOTC.

Though, Kit Fisto's grin aside, it would take the combined efforts of bears, Jubilee, Hero Pops, ketchup, and big green rubber Hulk gloves working overtime to improve this ridiculous sequence.

Rocketboy
02-14-2004, 04:05 PM
I think I read somewhere (the Illustrated Dictionary maybe?) that a battle droid's "brain" is located in the torso.
If this is true, then perhaps both "brains" were fighting for control.

JediTricks
02-14-2004, 04:06 PM
It says in one of the reference books from E1 that the BDs have simple brains in their heads, so while it's not canon, I've gone with that. I think you might be right about 3PO's memory being in his torso, but it could be secondary.

El Chuxter
02-14-2004, 04:16 PM
It says in one of the reference books from E1 that the BDs have simple brains in their heads, so while it's not canon, I've gone with that. I think you might be right about 3PO's memory being in his torso, but it could be secondary.

I tend to disagree with that statement about the BDs (isn't it from a DK book, anyway? :)) just because of the way they completely conk out after Anakin takes out the control ship in TPM. Just complete shutdown. Also, their heads just fall off with a tap, so that makes their heads pretty useless for any reason other than show.

I'd think OOM-9 and other commanders have to have some sort of more complicated design, and likely some sophisticated relay and communication equipment to keep the control computer updated of the situation and possibly take control of small squadrons of BDs. Otherwise why take a few brainless droids and repaint them yellow and call them commanders?

B'Omarr Monkey
02-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Even if their brains were in their chests, we still have the inferior droid demonstrating the superior personality in both cases. Also, how the heck are their heads interchangeable anyway?

stillakid
02-14-2004, 10:17 PM
however it shows fault in George's writing (cue stillakid...;)).

;) I like it best when others make my point for me.

2-1B
02-15-2004, 02:44 AM
Pendo - When I made that declaration I was actually speaking about the whole thing, starting with the forklift droid and ending with the battle droid body swap. I agree with you that the first part is even worse. :)

Chux - Good point, I'll have to reconsider my opinion. :D