PDA

View Full Version : New 12"-scale helmets from Gentle Giant!

JediTricks
02-14-2004, 12:45 PM
This just showed up in the SSG toy fair coverage from Gentle Giant, they're 1/6th-scale helmets that look really awesome: GG Armory Vault coverage (http://gallery.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php/cat/1107/password/58dff795b4e93ff107f0fb1e6d9d871c)
SirSteve says they can fit on the 12" figures. They look good enough that I'm very tempted just on the "collectible" level and even more curious how they'd look on the Hasbro 12" figs.

Beast
02-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Those are pretty damn cool. Remind me of Riddel's line of Mini-Helmets. I thought those rocked, and it was a shame that they ended. I wonder how much these babies are going to run. Cause they look sweet. Especially the AT-AT Commader one. And the AT-AT Driver and TIE Pilot with the hoses and chest boxes, drool. Man, they all look great. I hope they deliver them for a decent price point. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
02-14-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm very excited about the up coming line(s) from Gentle Giant! Good stuf in the pictures from the toy fair coverage.

[DSS]Pedr0
02-14-2004, 01:43 PM
This just showed up in the SSG toy fair coverage from Gentle Giant, they're 1/6th-scale helmets that look really awesome: GG Armory Vault coverage (http://gallery.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php/cat/1107/password/58dff795b4e93ff107f0fb1e6d9d871c)
SirSteve says they can fit on the 12" figures. They look good enough that I'm very tempted just on the "collectible" level and even more curious how they'd look on the Hasbro 12" figs.
If these are anything like the LoTR ones, then they might be like the busts and permanently mounted to the base. The price point on those were like $35-$45 I believe. However, since I haven't seent hem in person, maybe they can detach from the base.

derek
02-14-2004, 02:49 PM
gosh i sure hope these will fit on 1/6th scale action figures. but JT, keep in mind, most of hasbro's 12 inch figure heads are in 1/5 or 1/4 scale. :cry:

hopefully gentle giant has made these to fit on a properly scalled head like those made by dragon or bbi.......or heck, even hasbro's 12 inch GI Joe line, which has properly sized heads. :sur:

i didn't see a rebel trooper helmet. that would be really cool. ;)

man, i hope these fit, as i'd love to replace that awful hasbro death star trooper helmet with a gentle giant version!

JediTricks
02-14-2004, 03:09 PM
They do run about that price-point Pedr0, but these are supposed to be hollow and removable (I double-checked with Steve after posting this thread). The price point is high for a 12" figure, but not bad if they're as quality as the Riddell ones (which were much larger, like 1/2 or 1/3rd scale). They look very promising, I'd definitely get them if they were released slowly, like 3 or 4 every quarter.

Steve said he'll have photos of actual pieces some time during the Toy Fair coverage, maybe even today. Can you imagine how awesome 14" Vader with that helmet would look, or the Stormtrooper with that helmet?

[DSS]Pedr0
02-14-2004, 03:15 PM
They do run about that price-point Pedr0, but these are supposed to be hollow and removable (I double-checked with Steve after posting this thread). The price point is high for a 12" figure, but not bad if they're as quality as the Riddell ones (which were much larger, like 1/2 or 1/3rd scale). They look very promising, I'd definitely get them if they were released slowly, like 3 or 4 every quarter.

Steve said he'll have photos of actual pieces some time during the Toy Fair coverage, maybe even today. Can you imagine how awesome 14" Vader with that helmet would look, or the Stormtrooper with that helmet?
Excellent news then. Altho I will display them as "bust" style right next to my other collectibles. MR,Riddell,UNLEASHED,GG Busts,Koto,etc...

derek
02-14-2004, 03:19 PM
$35 is way too much for just a helmet. a whole mini-bust isn't much more. :confused: these should be no more than $15, if that.

bobafrett
02-14-2004, 03:26 PM
$35 is way too much for just a helmet. a whole mini-bust isn't much more. :confused: these should be no more than $15, if that.

I agree. $35 for just the helmet, when you could get a whole (well half) a figure
for around $45 to $50. If that is indeed the case, I will have to pass on at least the helmets.

JediTricks
02-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Well, Steve has added photos of the X-wing helmets, which comes generic & as Luke's. I'm not 100% on the pricepoint either, but I think that's what they are. The Riddell ones were $75 to $100. Maybe this is why the Riddell line died though, people don't wanna spend that much on these things.

derek
02-14-2004, 03:55 PM
gentle giant has made some nice stuff, but i question what they are doing by making those "bust ups", aka mini-mini busts. what's the point of those and those clone wars Maquettes things? i see those two lines bombing big time........and if they try to sell helmets for $35-$45, those will tank too.......now maybe if they sold them in sets of three for $45, that would be real cool.

sure they look really nice, but in reality, we should be getting that quality of a helmet as an accessory to our 12 inch figures. ;) ......and the whole figure shouldn't cost more than $40.

that luke x-wing mini bust sculpt is really nice. combine that head with one of those helmets on a super-articulated body with a nice costume and you've got a real winner of an action figure. if hasbro's stuff looked like that, they couldn't keep them in stock, as they'd sell so fast.

[DSS]Pedr0
02-14-2004, 04:12 PM
what's the point of those clone wars Maquettes things? i see those two lines bombing big time........and if they try to sell helmets for $35-$45, those will tank too.

sure they look really nice, but in reality, we should be getting that quality of a helmet as an accessory to our 12 inch figures.
If you look at how well the SideShowToys sell, then GG is smart in getting in with this line. All of the LoTR Helms sell and they are in "bust" form as well. The bases will be the same size and the helmet should be just in proportion to it. If these are made in scale as the 12" figs then I think thats lame. I will buy these for just what they are and they are Mini Helmet "Busts", not accessories.

derek
02-14-2004, 04:18 PM
If these are made in scale as the 12" figs then I think thats lame.

that's what they are, in 12 inch scale. these helmets will actually be a little bit smaller than the hasbro toy 12 inch helmets.

.........now those sideshow/WETA helmets are in 1/4th scale(bigger than 1/6th scale) and cost $25 each.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=lotrh

Exhaust Port
02-15-2004, 12:07 AM
I think this line is pretty exciting. It offers the opportunity for the 12" figure collector to replace the grossly mis-sculpted Hasbro helmets with a correct version. As we all know, the Stormtrooper is by far the figure in most need of a helmet replacement.

But, if the prices are go fall in the $30 range for one helmet that the deal is off. They look great, and even if I wasn't interested in using them to replace the helmets of the 12" figures I would still pass as that is way too much money for such a small item. If the helmet fell closer to $10-15 then I think not only would the 12" figure collectors be interested but other SW folks as well.

This line falls very close to what a few of us 12" figure collectors mentioned in another thread, the introduction of accessory packages. This line of helmets gives the figure collector to customize his collection easily with different helmets similar to what you can do with those WW2 figures. Hopefully Hasbro and the other SW manufacturers realize the possibilities and come out with other stuff as well. I know I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

JediTricks
02-15-2004, 04:32 PM
YAY!!! Steve added details in an update and it'll be around $30, but for 2 of them! Also, he mentioned that they fit on the 12" Hasbro figs in that news post.

Oh, and I had no idea the Bust-Ups were gonna be as cheap as the regular Hasbro 4" action figures, that changed my mind about them REAL quick from "hmm..." to "wow!"

derek
02-15-2004, 05:58 PM
good news. :) i read elsewhere they will be sold in pairs, and $30 for a pair is great news.

but i doubt they will fit on all hasbro star wars heads. not if they are in true 1/6th scale.

the first tatooine luke's head is pretty small, so i could see the x wing helmet fitting on it, but not on the 100th luke's head, for example.

i read that the vader helmet will be made of metal. i wonder if it will come apart so a "vader revealed" helmet is possible? :confused:

Exhaust Port
02-15-2004, 11:20 PM
This is some pretty exciting news for the 12" figure fans. They're going to need to sell the Stormtrooper helmets by the gross to allow the collectors to replace all the crappy Hasbro versions. Of course I can see it now, the Stormtrooper helmets will be short packed!! ARgh!!